Soccer Sunday: Your Running Commentary

ChicharitoMexico

There aren't many matches on the schedule today, but the few on the slate should provide plenty of entertainment, including the Brazil-Mexico showdown this afternoon in Texas (2:30pm, Univision).

Brazil is coming off a stellar 4-1 victory against the United States, and will be facing a Mexico side that needed a late Javier Hernandez winner to beat Bosnia. Neymar and Chicharito will be the headliners of a match set to be played in front of more than 100,000 fans at Cowboy Stadium.

Spain will be playing their final pre-Euro tuneup match today against China (4pm, ESPN3.com), with the defending European and World champions looking to work out the kinks before the big tournament next week.

In South America, Peru and Colombia face off in World Cup qualifying (6pm, DirecTV Pay-Per-View), with the winner moving into the main pack in CONMEBOL, and the loser facing a serious uphill challenge to qualify for 2014.

If you will be watching today's action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action.

Brazil2012 (Getty)

This entry was posted in Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

120 Responses to Soccer Sunday: Your Running Commentary

1. Jon says:

**** ‘em up, Brazil.

2. ben in el cajon says:

I predict 2-0 Brazil. Then we can argue about which North American team was more dominated.

3. WildDrawFour says:

Is there an English language broadcast for USA v Canada?

4. Jason B says:

Yes, NBC Sports Network. It used to be called Versus.

5. Brad says:

I predict 14-0 brazil.

The heart wants what it wants.

6. Roger says:

I predict 2-2, Mexico will have more opportunities.

7. city fan says:

Chicarito looks a little tubby like he’s been eating lots of shepherd’s pie while riding the pine in Manchester.

8. Brad says:

And Mexico get bailed out early.

9. Jason B says:

Yep, looked onside to me.

10. Dennis says:

Against the USA that would have been no offside and a Brazilian Goal!

11. Gacm32 says:

Definitely onsides.

12. Dennis says:

Is there a link with names and numbers for Brazil?

13. Jason B says:

soccernet.espn.go.com/gamecast/_/id/337319?cc=5901

14. chris says:

Flop fest already

15. Brad says:

What?

16. Illmatic74 says:

What a goal by Dos Santos.

17. Jason B says:

Wow, somebody give him some salsa for that chip.

18. chris says:

Should be 1-1

19. Roger says:

Golazoooooooo!!!!!

20. ben in el cajon says:

Foxsoccer, ESPN, Univision, and probably many others. And while I wasted time on that answe, Mexico scored. I now have total sympathy for the editor’s sarcasm the other day. Use the google next time.

21. Eric120 says:

Yup, amazing goal.

22. Jon says:

That brings back some terrible memories.

23. ACC says:

glolazo azo azo azo

24. Andy in Atlanta says:

we have two players max that could score like that… Brazil and Mexico have a combined 15 guys that can…

What a goal by Gio…

25. Eric120 says:

You are right–similar to the one he made during the Gold Cup final.

26. Andy in Atlanta says:

indeed…

27. ben in el cajon says:

Well, I’m already wrong. I keep hoping . . .

28. ian says:

Looked like a miss hit pass by dos santos, but I’m sure plenty of people are going to claim that was a brilliant shot.

29. prredicto says:

Mexico’s #10 did what our’s couldn’t, take on the back and score.

30. Brad says:

Where is the ref from?

31. Gacm32 says:

Brazil is playing lazy.

32. Jason B says:

Brazil seems to be showing a lack of patience in the attack. They’re trying too many one-on-one moves.

33. ACC says:

Mexico showing no respect whatsoever to Brazil.

34. ian says:

mexico is giving brazil fits on the break

35. Brad says:

Are you kidding me?

36. Gacm32 says:

Diiiiiivvvvveee

37. Cornelius says:

Fantastically timed jump in the air by Dos Santos.

38. KevDC says:

2-0 Mexico. Wow.

39. away goals says:

That was a brilliant shot.

*goes back to hating mexico*

40. ACC says:

wow, just wow.

41. Andy in Atlanta says:

and we also probably have only a few guys that can draw a penalty like Gio just did… he know the challenge was coming and just flipped the ball up in the air and waited for the boot of the Brazilian to clip him….

When JK talks about us being “naive”… this is what he is talking about…

42. kelleroni_80 says:

(1) It was a penalty, had this been the USA we would all be saying “penalty”.
    (2) I feel like CRAP right now……
    (3) MExico’s olympic team won the Toulon championship in europe on Friday….first time ever.
    (4) I feel like CRAP right now…

43. Roger says:

Hopefully the Euro’s have this tempo. Half way there, need 2 goals from Brazil.

44. Roger says:

At least Mexico represents Concacaf well ;)

45. Illmatic74 says:

And Brazil have Thiago Silva, Marcelo, Sandro, Hulk and Neymar on the field right now. And Mexico is picking them apart.It sucks but Mexico is really really good right now.

46. Shark says:

United States…looks like Terry Vaughn

47. Joey Joe Joe says:

48. Brad says:

I was thinking the same, but haven’t gotten a great look yet.

49. Gacm32 says:

I think the score is kinda flattering. It should at least be 2-1 and I think Brazil has actually been the better side.

50. Illmatic74 says:

You are probably right I might be overreacting.

51. Gacm32 says:

It happens, when it rains it pours for us soccer fan, and sometimes we’re a little too willing to help make a drizzle a hurricane.

52. Joey Joe Joe says:

2:0 the most dangerous scoreline at halftime.

53. ACC says:

Correct. If Brazil scores an early one then Mexico is in a lot of trouble.

54. Cornelius says:

Exactly right. He knew exactly how to create that penalty. He stopped playing and timed his jump into the air perfectly. The only thing that gives him away is the slow motion replay.

55. Eric120 says:

Agree. Especially because I don’t think the scoreline is a true reflection of what’s going on on the field.

56. Cornelius says:

Neymar is ball hogging and not doing anything with it.

57. ... says:

It is an MLS ref, but it’s not Terry Vaughn. I can’t think of his name, though.

58. ben in el cajon says:

The differences between USA and Mexico are: an alert defense and a cutting edge. But, Brazil look less organized in the back today, I say, grasping at straws of hope.

59. Cornelius says:

I think both sides have been really sloppy. I understand the ref giving the penalty; no way to tell it was a dive without replay. But the offsides call was bad. 2-1 if the sideline official doesn’t mess that up.

60. joejoe says:

Yes well everybody though Bayern was a better team than Chelsea. But the better team sometimes doesn’t win.

61. Yellow Submarine says:

All the respect in the world for Mexico’s ability but had they had our ref from the Brazil match, it would have been 2-0 Brazil in the first 20 minutes.

Hulk (lightly) pulled in the box after a very apparent onside goal.

Nice chip by Dos Santos in the box to find it’s way into the back of the net.

Of course, then the man-girl-face is sneezed on in the box and awarded a penalty.

62. Haydenjo says:

Does us soccer get anything for Mexico playing in the us?

63. ACC says:

If that’s not a penalty then the rule doesn’t need to exist.

64. Cornelius says:

Mexico lucky that wasn’t a penalty. Their goalie got very little of the ball, if he got the ball at all.

65. jones says:

Marcelo…ugh.

66. Cornelius says:

This game is getting away from the ref. Brazil players are taking out their frustration. No yellows given.

67. TheFrenchOne says:

This is painful to watch as a USMNT fan. Mexico is so scared of brazil that they subbed Gio out …

68. joejoe says:

Well, I think Barrera is not playing well, but Torres Nilo is keeping Hulk deflated.

69. Stoop says:

Mexico looks confident, dangerous, skillful.

70. RB says:

Loads of money.

71. A. Ruiz says:

The difference is that Mexican players play like this all their lives (possesion style, short passes, 1v1 dribbles, high pressure).
    US players don’t ever play like that until they turn pro. It’s like fitting a square peg into a round hole. Which is why if we try to play Brazie/Spain in anything other than a park the bus then quick counterattack style aka Bradley Ball, we’re going to get spanked.

72. A. Ruiz says:

Oh and Mexico’s defense is standing up to Brazil’s offense way better than ours did. We’re still relying on Gooch and Boca for god sakes (their backups are meh).

On any other decent NT, they would have been put to pasture by better, younger players. We haven’t had a lights out shutout defense for a loooong times. Which is why we’re always falling behind in matches.

73. RB says:

People can complain about refs and calls and luck and all the rest of it, but unfortunately the bottom line here is that Mexico just looks much more of the level at the moment to take on a side like Brazil than the MNT does. This is part 2 of the reality check that was the US-Brazil match last week.

74. joejoe says:

This game is over. Too many changes on both sides. The score should be 2-2.

75. Illmatic74 says:

Meza should have been sent off for that. Can’t lose your cool like that.

76. ben in el cajon says:

Slap feast!

77. Jeff says:

I think people make too much out of two matches against Brazil within a week of each other. Mexico has played great today. We didn’t play so great the other day, though we weren’t bad. Likewise, Brazil hasn’t been so great today, and they clearly got ruffled by Mexico. We’ll get a chance to see U.S. Mexico a little later this year. Then we’ll see where we’re at in comparison. But it does look like Mexico has their system down more at this point than we do.

78. Jeff says:

Looks like maybe Neymar spat at him.

79. Benny says:

What a bunch of BS. These are friendlies and, yes, the objective is to win but the U.S. did what they wanted to do and looked much more dangerous than Mexico. Once the U.S. shores up their defense, they will be fine. Forget about the score line: US vs Brazil. There was not justice in that, just like in this Brazil vs Mexico game.

80. RB says:

I didn’t say anything about the score line, nor was I thinking about it.

Suffice to say I think Jeff has you beat with his handle on things.

81. Jeff says:

I wonder if Neymar played in a physical league like the EPL if he might have some card problems. Seems to lose his temper and lash out here and there. Had a bad studs-up challenge and caught a Mexican player in the shin earlier in the game (almost got him up by the knee), pulled another player down, then this thing with Meza.

82. EndangeredMD says:

Mexico got nastay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83. Coachie ballgames says:

I’m an american and i can’t stand the hate on the mexico team. First of all, we should be happy that they’ve raised their game the past few years because it meana stronger competition for us, which is the only way to improve.
    Second, talent and generations ebb and flow, mexico have some amazing players right now, led by gio and chicharito. Full respect due.
    They’re better than us right now, all the more inspiration for the US to step it up.

84. prredicto says:

Mexico owned brasil in the second half. I thought it even in first half. Well done Mexico.

85. Hush says:

Mexico never loses to Brazil in any friendly played in the U.S… I can’t remember the last time Brazil beat Mexico. The only time I believe Brazil would be Mexico is if they both met in a world cup.

Brazil’s sub-23 is good enough to beat the U.S senior national playing only 75% of their potential. But they can’t beat a Mexico senior team with an ok effort.

Mexico suffers with Argentina, where as the U.S plays great against Argentina. Vise versa with Brazil.

86. Jeff says:

And it’s also a little wishful thinking on my part. Mexico did look really good today. And we were exposed a bit the other day. We have quality, but are still a work in progress. But I want to believe that these two matches against Brazil are not an accurate judgment of our relative quality right now. I will say that the U.S. is still in the midst of this major change in our approach. I think everyone hopes that we continue to grow into it, because if we do, we could take a big step forward…. I hope.

87. Eric120 says:

Agree and well put.

88. etj2 says:

You cant stand the hate vs a rival?

89. Jeff says:

Seems like Mexico got under Brazil’s skin. They had them frustrated and desperate. They didn’t handle their frustration very well. Probably a good approach against a young Brazil team. If you can get a lead and then frustrate them, they might not have the composure to get back into the game.

90. Hector T says:

Excellent win by Mexico, they really dominated the second half too. And my oh my, that goal was Dos Santos was just sick (specially if he actually intended to do that). Besides, I don’t get why people are hating on the Mexican team, CONCACAF isn’t known for good soccer, so we need wins like these by any CONCACAF members to help raise our prestige. When the US plays Mexico, then we can hate away…

91. Hush says:

You keep saying that buddy! I will never root for the Packers, Cardinals, and white sox ever!!!!!! I can’t stand the sox and their only 30 miles away from Wrigley… Same city

Give props? Get out of here with that nonsense. Mexico is our biggest rivalry in Futbol, I expect every U.S fan to dog them out whether they do great or poor in any competition. I hate that national team with a passion!!!

In sports we love & hate teams, it’s the nature of the game!

I’m sooooo happy the Packers won the SB 2 years ago, that says a lot for the NFC NORTH!! Wtf????

92. Benny says:

Nice try. I am not competing with anyone. That’s the other person’s opinion. Mexico is not better than the U.S. because they beat Brazil, period. Do you get that? The U.S. will win its good like they have done the last two WC. You just talk to talk. Now, if the U.S. beats Canada 7-0 in Canada, you will be changing your tune.

93. RB says:

I think we largely agree. I’m not just thinking of these 2 friendlies, just as I was not thinking of the scoreline. But if you watched the US last week and watched Mexico today, against that same side, well even taking into account day-to-day variations in quality for any side, you know, you still just can’t miss how much more composed El Tri was today as compared to the US last week.

Or as someone put it above, they weren’t just out there respecting Brazil, or somewhere on the road to being in awe of Brazil. They weren’t scrambling. They were strong and confident in their game and consistent throughout the match.

94. RB says:

Sorry — just can’t see being such a homer. (shrug)

95. Hush says:

Another weak soldier. Be happy so folks around the world respect Concacaf?lol Oh my… Only one team matters for me in Concacaf, the rest I can care less if they ever raise their level of play.

I always wish Mexico doesn’t qualify for W.C…. I think I need to start going to Central American soccer forums for the Mex hate… At least there they refuse to give anyone props within Concaca wheather they lose or win.

A lot of riders on here lately

Mexico today got lucky! They paid the refs off & eat the carne

96. jones says:

well put, Jeff. Unlike the US, who simply deferred to Brazil until late in the second half.

Btw, I really hope Klinsmann starts using a word besides “nasty,” not just because of the confusion over its meaning, but because the word sounds juvenile and awkward.

97. Benny says:

the group

98. Thorpinski says:

It was good win for Mexico, and will make us look better when we finish 1st in qualifying. Whether we like it or not the better Mexico is the better we will be and vice versa.

99. Benny says:

Just because I love the MNT doesn’t mean I’m a homer.On the other hand, I can call you a front runner. But Mexico,they will always be one step behind the U.S.Now go watch the US vs canada game.

100. HectorT says:

Haha, you’re right about the Central American fans, they hate everyone! Still, I always love it when CONCACAF teams win games against other regions, specially CONMEBOL teams which I just loathe. To each their own though…

101. matt says:

mexico did 2 things very well: they kept their 2 DM’s wider than normal so there was always inside help on neymar/hulk, creating more 1v2’s than 1v1’s, and they stopped the overlapping WB’s … both smart tactical moves that really took brazil out of their natural flow

102. RB says:

Of course your love of the MNT doesn’t make you a home. It’s your inability to see some semblance of reality in the situation, if it doesn’t necessarily glorify the US team and hold them above all others, that makes you a homer.

103. HectorT says:

Besides, it seemed like today’s Brazil team just didn’t have the same spark they did when they played against the US. Brazil was just trash in the 2nd half.

104. Mat says:

Mexico got a few breaks from the officials and was able to do what JK wanted the US to do: be nastier.
    Great win for them and a good showing for CONCACAF.

105. roger says:

lol poor thing roots for the Cubs. Bless your heart.

106. Brett says:

Are you a USA MNT fan? If so, you should root for Mexico at all points where it does not effectively hurt the US.

The USA needs a strong rival in order to push the game forward domestically. We will never be respected unless we have a neighbor to push us to be better. A strong Mexican national team is GOOD for the US.

When they take the field against the US, they are scum, but otherwise I like to see them punch above their weight. It makes us look better when we beat them.

107. marco says:

Good win for El Tri. Gio played well except for the dive in the box. I think the tight marking and toughness of Mexico was what Klinsmann said was lacking in the USA effort. Neymar appeared to spit on a Mexican player at the end, his head snap forward, but I couldn’t see spit come out. Those who predicted a Brazil route underestimated Mexico who most always play them tough.

108. marco says:

I agree about JK comment.

109. Brad says:

I think the ref was canadian

110. AJ says:

Sloppy play? Really, Cornelius? It’s apparent that you’re new to this game so I’ll be providing a workshop free of charge for YOUR benefit. When two sides that are accustomed to claiming possession play each other, they battle it out for the ball and the result is a lot of back and forth. It’s considered by fans of the game as an intense and exciting game. Any questions?

111. Brad says:

I don’t think Mexico dominated the match that much. The first Dos Santos goal was luck, he meant to cross the ball but it went in the net after missing everyone. And this goal was only El Tri’s 2nd or 3rd time successfully getting down the field. Later the counter-attack style of play worked better for Mex as Brazil started to press up field more.

Brazil looked clueless on offense and kind of lazy most of the game. Neymar was taking on 3-4 defenders at a time and Brazil’s entry passes were crap. If the USA played this Brazil team the USMNT would have had a better result.

112. ... says:

Yeah, I think the ref was Silviu Petrescu. He’s a Canadian MLS ref.

113. AJ says:

Oh no … Not the should’ves already! Personally, I prefer facts. The score is 2-0 with Mexico as the victor.

I see that US fans:
    1) Continue to hate any way they can on Mexico
    2) Are pathetic enough to put their marbles in the Brazil basket thinking they have a sure bet
    And 3) Ladies and Gentlemen, that they will always, always b&*ch and moan if a result does not go their way.

114. AJ says:

This is true. Argentina seems to have Mexico’s number.

115. AJ says:

The only fans that hate relentlessly are those of lesser teams. I noticed Spanish, Brazilian, German and Dutch fans give props to teams from everywhere. Show some class.

116. AJ says:

Of course, if Mexico won it must be because Brazil did bad, not because Mexico did any good. Oh Brad, who will you root for now? Argentina maybe?

117. Marco says:

I think Klinsmann better start getting worried about Mexico

118. ACC says:

WRONG. You Cannot compare Mexico and the US at this point in time. Mexico is at a completely different level.
    Look at the result of the two games. That’s how much difference there is between Mexico and the US.

119. A. Ruiz says:

LOL yeah. He can’t even get his fact rights, Wrigley and Sox Park are 10 miles away. Methinks this is a Cub fan that doesn’t actually live in the City.

120. Eric120 says:

“Mexico were a good test, they are a stronger team than USA and I think this game has served as preparation to face harder rivals like we will have in London. ”

Brazil’s Lucas on facing Mexico