Olsen to coach MLS All-Star Game

Ben Olsen (ISIPhotos.com)

D.C. United head coach Ben Olsen has been chosen to coach the MLS All-Stars when they take on Chelsea in the 2012 MLS All-Star Game at PPL Park on July 25th.

Olsen has been tabbed to replace Peter Nowak, who had been assigned to coach the team before being let go by the Philadelphia Union. Interim Union head coach John Hackworth will serve as part of Olsen's staff for the All-Star Game, along with the D.C. United coaching staff.

The assignment is a well-deserved honor for Olsen, who has D.C. United in first place in the Eastern Conference. It will also be a homecoming of sorts for Olsen, who grew up in Middletown, PA. and played youth soccer in the Philadelphia area with FC Delco.

Olsen will be given the job of selecting the squad that will take on the defending UEFA Champions League title holders.

What do you think of Olsen being chosen to coach the All-Stars? Would he have been your pick, or would you have given the nod to someone like Real Salt Lake's Jason Kreis?

This entry was posted in MLS All-Star Game, MLS- D.C. United. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Olsen to coach MLS All-Star Game

1. SilverRey says:

Congrats to Ben! I had forgotten about his Philly roots, makes good sense regionally. Good to see Hackworth involved as well, I would have been fine with him at the helm otherwise.

2. Beckster says:

Fantastic! Good for Ben.

3. FIREBB says:

Great for Benny.

Interesting picture to use. First of all he’s got his hand on his stomach and not his heart. And secondly there’s a creepy green box smiling in the background.

4. JGD says:

He’s cupping his breast, bro. Obvi.

5. elgringorico says:

We’re all part of Olsen’s army!!

6. GY says:

So as the coach he selects the squad from the players chosen from him correct? But does he also get to have a few player choses himself? I remember the commissioner having picks, but does the coach as well? Mainly I’m asking b/c I feel Pontius should be in contention, but since his move to fwd he has been put behind some big time players.

7. Jacknut says:

Shame AVB isn’t there. Then we could finally find out which coach is the bigger hipster.

8. elgringorico says:

haha, by hipster do you mean, young, attractive and well dressed?

9. elgringorico says:

that’s right, i said attractive. I got a half chub for Benny.

10. Northzax says:

I bet AVB doesn’t ride a fixie around town, even to team events. Advantage: Olsen.

11. Northzax says:

Who doesn’t? (right, red bull fans) the three people on my girlfriend’s celebrity freebie list are Channing Tatum, Ryan Gosling and Ben Olsen. (her choices, mind you)

12. elgringorico says:

RESPECT to your ladyfriend for even knowing who Benny is!

13. curmudgeon says:

I’ve been saying for quite some time that I don’t want any DC players to participate in the All-Star Game, ever, because it’s just an opportunity to get injured in a meaningless match.

But the coach probably won’t get hurt. So, I guess this is OK.

14. bryan says:

Nice!

15. JoeW says:

Knowing the shape Olson’s ankles are in, it wouldn’t be past him to break something walking to the bench to start the match.

It’s nice to see Ben get this. I also wouldn’t have had a problem if Kreis or Arena or Schmid had gotten it instead. The reality is that when Nowak was canned, the process broke down. So just about atone else is an improvised choice. In which case, any of those names (Olsen, Schmid, Arena, Kreis) has some merit to one degree or another.

16. elgringorico says:

FROM DCU website:

“They chose the closest guy to save some money on train tickets,” United’s second-year coach said with a laugh, conveniently overlooking the fact that his team sits atop the Eastern Conference.

17. rigoberto says:

God how I love that man.

18. 2tone says:

Olsen and Kries are two of the brightest young coaches in the U.S. soccer scene. Wouldn’t mind to see either one of these guys coach the USMNT one day.

Congrats to Olsen!

19. Neruda says:

Olsen makes sense this year because the game is in the east. If it was being played in the west I’d say it should be Jason Kries. No problems with Olsen.

Problems with the starting XI selection? Probably.

20. Naboo says:

haha i think he said on the capitol soccer show that he’d rather take the time off and chill with the fam…so much for that.

21. Paul Allen says:

I can’t believe anyone takes this all star game seriously.