Who should the USMNT start vs. Brazil?

USMNTvsScotland (JohnToddISI)

Photo by John Todd/ISIPhotos.com

The U.S. Men's national team faces what could be its toughest test of the year tonight at Fed Ed Field when might Brazil comes calling, and Jurgen Klinsmann will have some tough decisions to make on what lineup, and what formation he should use to best combat the South American powerhouse.

The Christmas Tree formation (4-3-2-1) used against Scotland was effective and dangerous getting forward, but that had as much to do with Scotland's lack of quality as it did with the USA's ability. Brazil will present a much more difficult challenge, particularly to the USA defense, which was rarely tested by the Scots.

The dazzling attacking qualities of Neymar will be difficult to stop, as will the powerful forays of Hulk, and U.S. fullbacks Fabian Johnson and Steve Cherundolo will need to have outstanding games to keep those two in check.

Considering Brazil's quality on the flanks, it's tough to picture a formation as narrow as the 4-3-2-1 being deployed by Klinsmann tonight. A 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 seem more likely in order to defend the wings better, and also to force Brazil's wingers to take care of their own defensive responsibilities on the flanks.

Here is my Fox Soccer preview on tonight's match, which includes Tim Howard talking about how the USA can have success against Brazil, and also looks at keys to tonight's match.

So who should the USA start tonight vs. Brazil? With Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore looking very unlikely to start, here is a USA lineup we could see taking the field tonight:

PROJECTED USMNT vs. BRAZIL lineups

USABrazilProjectedLineups

As you can see, the USA formation here is a 4-2-3-1, though with Donovan and Gomez as the wide options, this lineup can very much play like a 4-3-3 and would probably be more 4-3-3 than 4-2-3-1.

Gomez and Oguchi Onyewu replace Maurice Edu and Geoff Cameron in the lineup. We could certainly see Edu staying in the lineup, but it is difficult for the USMNT to field a lineup with the necessary width that ALSO includes Edu, Jones, Bradley and Torres. In theory you could deploy Bradley on the right flank, as he did so well last year when tried there, but it seems more likely that Klinsmann will want Bradley working the middle of the field with Jones.

——

What do you think of this lineup? Who is included that you're hoping to see on the field? Who didn't make our projected USMNT Starting XI that you feel should play against Brazil?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

126 Responses to Who should the USMNT start vs. Brazil?

1. Tom says:

Gomez out wide? Didn’t know he was that type of player.

(SBI-He’s played as a wide forward for Santos Laguna much of the season and done well there. Doesn’t mean Klinsmann uses him there, but it’s an option).

2. Vic says:

I’m just glad that we have more skilled players on the squad. I believe we are capable of dominating teams like Scotland more often but we need the right selections. We have a good and well organized defense. We also have players that could finish at any level (Donovan and Dempsey). The only thing we lack at times is possession players (like Torres, Corona, Jones, Bedoya, Feilhaber and Adu). I’m glad players like Shea, Klesjtan, Agudelo and Beasely weren’t called in. They’re not bad players individually, however, if too many of them play, good teams dominate us in possesssion. As in the past we go down early then our oppositon sits back defending a lead (Slovakia WC2010, Mexico friendly). Naturally we have more possession and sometimes we comeback. I don’t want USA to play that way. We are capable of so much more.

When everyones healthy we have so many skilled players, it makes it hard for the less skilled players to get playing time. Previously Torres was injured, Corona wasn’t on the radar and neither was Boyd. Klesjtan, Shea, Agudelo and Beasely got the call over players like Adu, Feilhaber and Bedoya (So right now with so many options, its a moot point, fortunatley.

3. Rik says:

He played out wide most of the year for Santos. I like this lineup a lot in theory, just don’t see it happening.

Know it was executed differently vs. SCO, but the 4-3-2-1 is traditionally defensive-minded. If Jones and Bradley push to flanks to support Johnson and Cherundolo on D, that formation could work. Again, like the look above, but I don’t see JK dropping one of the destroyers. He also mentioned in the Scotland post-game that it hasn’t really worked having Jones/Bradley as a DM-only pairing.

4. bryan says:

i actually think this is a good lineup, especially if it is a 4-4-2. i don’t like Gomez out wide in a 4-2-3-1 though. i think it’ll be:

Howard,
    Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Johnson
    Edu, Jones
    LD, Bradley, Torres
    Boyd

if we go with a 4-4-2:

Howard,
    Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Johnson
    LD, Bradley, Jones, Torres
    Boyd, Gomez

5. Bryson says:

Doesn’t Gomez play in a similar position for Santos at times? Anyone know?

6. bryan says:

Gomez plays out wide in a 4-3-3 i feel like though. i think him playing out wide in the midfield is asking too much. but who knows!?

and i agree about Jones/Bradley. JK has stated that he also thinks Bradley is better going forward. I think Edu/Jones will be the destroyers while Bradley will look to get forward. whereas against Scotland only Edu was staying back.

7. Ryan in NYC from NC says:

Can’t imagine Mo not starting. He’s so solid defensively. He has to be on the pitch from the beginning, right?

8. Bob says:

I know Dempsey does not want to play the full 90, but could he possibly start and then get pullled at halftime?

9. Nate Dollars says:

never been a coach (thank god), but I don’t know why a 4-3-2-1 would necessarily be narrower than a 4-2-3-1. if you have the 2 forward midfielders sit back to maintain possession, then that moves the 2 outside d-mids wider.

if JK does go with the 4-2-3-1 above, I’d rather see bradley in torres’ slot, with torres taking gomez spot. I know gomez can play wide, but don’t know how good he’d be at tracking back on marcelo.

10. bryan says:

unless the info i have read is wrong, Gomez usually plays out left as part of the front 3 in a 4-3-3. i do not think he has played out left in the midfield.

11. Rlw2020 says:

60 min sub for boyd. I hope no idea if he is up for it

12. Nate Dollars says:

p.s. with edu in bradley’s spot; who plays up top (gomez or boyd) is a tossup to me.

13. Cairo says:

Just curious–do we know that Herc is ahead of Wondo on the depth chart? I think we’re all assuming this, but has Klinsy actually given any indication of this?

14. bryan says:

Not if we go with a 4-4-2. He had a great game, but Jones and Bradley had better games. I think he is the sacrificed midfielder if we start with an extra striker. But I could see Jones sitting too. It’ll be Jones/Bradley or Edu/Bradley if we start with a 4-4-2. That’s my guess.

15. Mike says:

Start me!

16. B 16 says:

Gomez definitely over Wondolowski!!!

17. DC Josh says:

This is a young and inexperienced Brazilian squad on the international stage. I don’t doubt that we can score on them, but I’m afraid Dolo is in for a LONG night dealing with Neymar.

18. ajwilson89 says:

hopefully boyd can get going but not likely against brazil especially considering he’s going to be the lone striker for the second match in a row. I could see Gomez doing well on that flank but would like to see him up front maybe paired with boyd. With Jones always helping back and Bradley’s great 2-way play combined with possibly the best back line in Ives’ lineup… looks pretty solid

19. sam says:

I agree–which is to say, go with the same lineup as last time. I’m not sure how swapping Gomez for Edu and slightly reorganizing the front three would help defend against width. Better to keep Edu in, destroy the middle of the pitch and have a rangy midfield three to help the fullbacks on the wings.

20. My friend is an idiot says:

I’m having a discussion with a friend, please help me out. If the USMNT plays with a full compliment of players versus a full Israel iteam, who wins? Neutral soil.

It’s obvious to me that the USMNT would handily beat Israel. What do you think in your unbiased, biased opinion? What would be the scoreline?

21. Rlw2020 says:

———gomez——-
    —torres——LD—–
    –jones–edu—bradley-
    Johnson-boca-gooch-dolo
    ————–howard——-

I think starting out conservative vs Brazil is important. And having Edu as the central d-mid will allow jones and bradley to push Hulk and Nymar away from the middle.

Torres looked good in a similar situation and will allow johnson and jones to play into the attack. Gomez vs Boyd is up to Klinsy i picked Gomez as he is vet but if Boyd is up to the challange then more credit to him

22. Alex says:

It’s been pointed out, but JK said he doesn’t like the Jones Bradley middie pairing.

23. Alex says:

But then you have Bradley and Jones playing wide, which, sure, they can do, but isn’t their best place. The point of having three defensive minded midfielders like that is so that they remain central and clog up the middle. Pushing them wide would create openings, and if the two more advanced midfielders fill those gaps, you’re playing a 4-5-1 with players all inverted. Your two guys who are supposed to be wide are suddenly in the central 3 and two of your defensive players are pushed wide. It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.

24. Jamie says:

Coolest thing about watching the US play these days is the integration of such a diverse group of players, be it the leagues they play in, their family ancestry, their playing style, their age, etc. it’s just awesome.

25. sam says:

We’ll see, but I think a trio of rangy DMs can effectively provide cover on the wings without giving away the center. Ives’s lineup effectively just trades Edu for Gomez and there’s no formation devisable in which that would strengthen the team defensively.

26. jon says:

boyd will be eaten alive by juan and silva. wish we could start jozy to make some runs at those guys.

27. Prosthetic Puppy says:

I think we go with a traditional 4-4-2.

———-Gomez——Dempsey——–

Torres—Bradley—Jones—Donovan

Johnson–Bocanegra-Onyewu-Dolo

—————-Howard———————

Boyd subs at halftime with Dempsey.

28. Alex says:

link to this11.com

This formation would be fairly narrow, but I think it’s the most defensively sound and keeps our most effective players on the field. We’ve seen both Bradley and Torres succeed in slightly unorthodox wide spots before, and that midfield block of 4 would have a shot at stifling Brazil’s midfield combining. Throw Donovan as a speedy forward combining with Gomez, Torres and Bradley and I think this shape gives us the best chance to succeed.

29. twewlife says:

Edu cannot play the central midfield roll. He just doesn’t have the distributive qualities necessary for the roll. I see Bradley taking the central defensive midfield slot.

I also think there’s a good chance Boyd keeps his spot up top

30. Felix says:

I’d swap out Corona for Boyd, and push Gomez as the lone forward. But that’d be the only change I’d make.

I would like to see Cameron get considerable time tonight as well, to see how he handles this level of competition.

I feel like we are putting our CB eggs in a older basket.

As much respect as I have for Bocanegra and Onyewu, they aren’t getting any younger, and Gooch has had his injury issues. They can go from solid veterans to old real fast by the time the summer of 2014 comes around.

31. Rik says:

Another option is a 4-4-2 with LD as a forward and Torres, Jones, Bradley, Edu in a diamond midfield.

Honestly though, this team has looked much more fluid and shifting formation-wise under Klinsi once his approach has started to take hold. He’s said this before, but however they line up, it’s more important to get the right guys on the pitch for that particular opponent.

32. Aii says:

CAP HIM!

33. Felix says:

I think the assumption is since Gomez subbed in for Boyd on Saturday, and Wondo never even saw this pitch – that Gomez is ahead of Wondolowski on the depth chart.

34. Alex says:

He literally just did against Scotland, and his distribution stat was 93% of passes completed.

35. 2tone says:

I imagine we will see the same foramtion and line-up we saw against Scotland. One alteration is Gooch will start ahead of Cameron at RCB.
    ———-Howard———-
    Dolo—–Gooch—–Boca——-Johsnon
    —Bradley—–Edu—–Jones———-
    ——–Donovan——Torres———
    —————-Boyd—————
    Here are my Subs: Guzan, Parkhurst, Cameron, Corona, Beckerman, Dempsey, Altidore.

I have a feeling we will be more defensive in the first half and then get more attack minded in the second half with the introduction of Altidore and Dempsey into the game.

36. bryan says:

what he said was that with TWO defensive mids it does not work if it is Bradley/Jones. and frankly, he didn’t even use those words. if you look at the lineups, in the 4-2-3-1, i have Edu/Jones. in the 4-4-2, it’s Bradley/Jones with Bradley playing the advanced role.

37. Prosthetic Puppy says:

+1 I could also see this happening.

38. B 16 says:

Jozy for Boyd @ 60 min to bludgeon Brazil’s tired defenders-from chasing Boyd all over the field

39. Pd says:

I was wondering about a lineup that gets Parkhurst, Johnson and Cherundolo on the field. Parkhurst has great positional awareness and speed. I have no qualms with johnson at fullback, but having Johnson deployed on the wing opposite Donovan in a 4-5-1 allows a good load share on the flanks going forward and back. Bradley Jones and Edu cycling in the middle with Gomez up top? I hate to not have Torress on the pitch, but if we’re prioritizing defense that seems a good fit.

40. Alex says:

Also, for the lazy:

———Gomez———–
    ——–Donovan———–
    —Torres——–Bradley—-
    ——-Edu—Jones———
    Johnson—————-Dolo
    ——-Boca—-Gooch——
    ———Howard———–

41. bryan says:

not even close regarding Edu and Bradley. Edu literally JUST played that role against Scotland. Jones and Bradley were the ones getting forward. Also, JK has made it very clear he like Bradley in a more advanced role, not playing the sole defensive mid spot. So I highly doubt we see that.

As for Boyd, I agree. Gomez won’t be playing up top by himself.

42. Francois says:

3 DM’s that have to push wide will obviously leave a gap in the center. If you have 3 midfielders, 2 for each flank, you’ll only have 1 DM in the center to pick up 3 players. It doesn’t make sense.

43. Prosthetic Puppy says:

Parkhurst has great speed? Really?

Torres will be on the pitch tonight. Guaranteed.

44. USsoccerfan90 says:

My opinion is probably biased because i am and american, but i would guess a scoreline similar to the Scotland game. I know that game was at home, but it was also without Altidore and Duece. I think the US would dominate possesion and finish very easily against Isreal.

45. Roger says:

Why do we need Gooch? He is the slowest player and size is not a factor agagainst Brazil.

46. elgringorico says:

Yup… could be a high scoring affair.

47. Edwin in LA says:

This is why I am hoping to see Josh Gatt and Joe Gyau being brought into the Senior Team very very soon, if we can we the 1st 2 games of qualifying next month it will set a tone and maybe we can give young guys like them and the always on the fringe Adu minutes vs Guatemala and Antigua & Barbuda after locking qualification to the hexagonal if we have 2 successful results vs Jamaica in September in the #3 & 4 matches of this round of qualifying…

We really need Gyau to get minutes with the 1st team at Hoffenheim, too bad about Chandler’s indecision or lack there of…..and also would be nice to have Beasley in this group…wonder if he has a shot still to add himself to the mix, another winger is very much needed vs a team like Brazil…..
    Shea, get it together buddy, and get yourself to Europe ASAP, but you need to grow up, see what Corona, Boyd are doing that needs to be you….

Having said that I like what I see up top, the only other variation I could see is having Corona in the spot Gomez is in….Jozy and Dempsey will be subs in the 2nd half for sure, but could also have Gomez, Castillo either as a left wing or to play Johnson there and Castillo at LB….. either way the squad needs to up their level of concentration and quality of ball possession vs Brazil

48. Where can we watch this game? Go Team Waldo!

49. Brandon Godwin says:

Mainly concerned that a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 in actuality becomes a defensively minded 4-5-1, which is what happened early on in the Klinsmann era.

What about replacing Bradley with Edu at CDM and putting Bradley in place of Torres?

50. Lost in Space says:

I thing we could protentially see a 4-4-1-1 type of lineup to start tonight.

——————-Boyd—————————

———————Donovan———————-

Torres————————————-Bradley

————Jones————–Edu—————-

–Johnson—————————–Cherundolo–

—————-Boca——–Gooch—————–

———————Howard———————–

Probably the most defensive lineup we could role out, but should be able to hold its own in the midfield and have some possession.

51. Annelid Gustator says:

Well, the World Footbal ELO rankings put US at ~30 and Israel about ~50. FIFA puts US at ~30 and Israel about ~40. Expectation is a US win. The most common score in WC matches is probably 1-0, so that’s my guess.

1-0, US wins.

52. Edwin in LA says:

I like your 18, but I hope we see Gomez instead of Beckerman on the bench, even would like to see Castillo as he brings a big more versatility since he can play wide on both Left Fullback in the defense or on the Left wing midfield spot….and it allows for Fabian Johnson to go to left mid as well….I just think with Jones, Bradley, Edu and Torres we do not need Beckerman on the 18…if anything 1 of those could come off to give way to Dempsey in the 2nd half…

I still don’t see what JK sees in him with so many more options ahead of him. But we could very well see this.

53. Alex says:

Fair enough. That advanced position just didn’t show in the lineup.

54. Alex says:

Exactly what I mean.

55. sandtrout says:

On the other hand, Boyd showed he can create shots vs. Scotland. If he could get them on target…..

56. Edwin in LA says:

Gooch had 1 injury that kept him out for a few weeks this year and one that knocked him out for 2 weeks I believe last year meaning in the 2011-12 season. I think he is finally in form and totally healed from his Oct 09 injury, Boca on the other hand even at full health is showing his age quickly, I too would like to see Cameron get more and more exposure, maybe a halftime substitution for Carlos….

He probably will get time vs Canada, and he might do it with Goodsen to rest up Boca & Gooch for the coming qualifiers which would put Cameron in more of a leadership position and he’d share Center Defensive responsibilities with Goodsen…

57. Matt says:

I’m planning on watching it on ESPN3.com

58. US says:

Can we go with this for the first 60 and see what we can really do against Brazil:

link to this11.com

sub Jozy and Deuce in second half for Boyd and TBD based on game…

59. primoone says:

If you play a midfielder that thrives on dominating the ball out on the left in a 4-4-2 and remove them from your number 10 ..(landon) you limit their effectiveness. Its one of the reasons why benny and torres type players get killed the next day after an ineffective role . Your lineup is ok but would be much more effective with fabian playing out wide and having castillo play at LB…castillo could also play in his natural role at winger.

60. elgringorico says:

DEMPS TWITTER:
    Clint Dempsey ‏@clint_dempsey
    For those asking. I’ll be putting on for my country tonight. ✌

61. Prosthetic Puppy says:

Dempsey quote from twitter, “I”ll be putting on for my country tonight.”

Interpret how you will gentlemen.

62. Prosthetic Puppy says:

You just beat me. :) Ha

63. Nate Dollars says:

yep, makes sense. didn’t think of that.

64. elgringorico says:

Seems to me like he’s starting. I doubt coach would say “hey man you’re DEF. coming off the bench tonight.”

65. USsoccerfan90 says:

Well if you are around a tv tonight you can just turn on ESPN 2

66. US says:

The starting XI I proposed 10 minutes ago just gained more merit with that news!

67. Skyward says:

Couldnt agree more!!

68. Mat says:

If Dempsey and Altidore don’t start, then I don’t see why JK would not send out the same team that started vs. Scotland, with the exception of Cameron, and perhaps Boyd (who’s still a bit green)
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Howard
    Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Johnson
    Jones, Edu, Bradley
    Donnovan, Boyd (or Gomez), Torres

69. Mat says:

If Dempsey and Jozy start, swap Torres for Deuce and Boyd for Jozy

70. Alex says:

@PaulPabst Clint Dempsey told me that he will play tonight vs. Brazil. “I’ll be on the bench, coming on as a sub.”

71. Edwin in LA says:

I think Edu was more than fine on Saturday and will be in the future, Bradley always pushes forward to trail the run and be in position to score of a rebound or receiving a pass from the forward or mid holding the ball up top….as he did so many times in Holland or think of how Jozy brought the ball down for him vs Slovenia in South Africa or how Jozy held the ball, laid it off to Donovan who then held it some more and set up Bradley for that gift Oswaldo Sanchez gave Bradley in Feb of 09 for WC qualifying…even on Saturday Bradley was trailing and so was Jones and he got in position to score off the long distance shot..

With Jones, Bradley, Torres and LD in front of him he wouldn’t really need all that much distributive ability anyway all of those guys would ask for the ball to move it forward anyhow…

So I agree with Alex & Bryan, sorry twewlife, I just don’t see it…

72. Edwin in LA says:

I think with Jozy and Dempsey available US wins by 2 for sure…maybe more if they are on top of their game finishing wise….

73. elgringorico says:

I was misled! By Clint!

Still glad we’ll see him.

74. Edwin in LA says:

He had a couple blocked that missed the target by very little but earning corner kicks, and he was barely off on the timing or the cross was just a tad bit too high or a few tenths of a second too fast for him to get to it, otherwise he could have scored, the goals will come, we just have to be patient with him…

Plus as long as he keeps the defense busy and lays off the ball to guys like Donovan, Torres, Bradley, Jones and Corona he will be doing his job…oh and Gomez if they are both in the game

75. Edwin in LA says:

Could Parkhurst see time?

I wish Lichaj had started getting games maybe 2 months before he did, maybe then at a good 14-18 games JK would have chosen to bring him in…

Damn it I miss Chandler in this games….oh well

76. Edwin in LA says:

He had said in an earlier piece by Ives that he would most likely come off the bench, I don’t blame him or the coaching staff for taking it easy with plenty of caution vs a big opponent like Brazil in a FRIENDLY….plus he has a HUGE transfer window Summer period coming up, no need to screw that up with an unnecessary need to play 90 in a friendly, get him 25-30 minutes towards the end…

77. Vic says:

Thats a useless statistic. It doesn’t include bad passes where the reciever is put in a bad situation and loses the ball. It also doesn’t back passes that less skilled players tend to make.

78. Beautiful! Thanks.

79. Edwin in LA says:

I really like this…could sub in say Corona for Edu or Jones in 2nd half or at halftime and move Bradley central to pair up with whomever remains in the game of Jones&Edu and have Corona play Right mid, then maybe sub in Jozy for Boyd and Dempsey for the other of Jones or Edu so Bradley plays a full 90…and we have Donovan & Dempsey playing together down the middle in alternating roles of 2nd Forward and CAM…

What do you think?
    It would look like this in the 2nd half
    ============Boyd============
    ===========Donovan==========
    ==Torres============Corona==
    =====Edu/Jones==Bradley=====
    =Johnson==Boca==Gooch==Dolo=
    ===========Howard===========

80. Alex says:

Fair point. However, watching the game the first time, I didn’t see many poor passes from Edu, and watching it a second time, I noticed he more often than not dished the ball off to a player who could play a more quality ball forward (Bradley, Torres, Jones). So he may not be playing the incisive passes himself but he’s enabling others not to do so, and isn’t losing the ball very often at all.

81. BSU SC says:

——————————–GOMEZ—————–

————-DONOVAN———————————

———————-TORRES————————-

————JONES————–BRADLEY—————

———————–EDU—————————

CHERUNDOLO——-BOCANEGRA——–GOOCH——–JOHNSON

———————HOWARD————————-

I see Klinsmann going with as much experience as possible against a team like Brazil. It might be asking a bit much for Boyd to go out from the start and match up against the likes of Thiago Silva. With the exception of Johnson and Jones, the rest of this proposed line up has World Cup experience. They’ll be up for the challenge tonight.

82. Edwin in LA says:

That line up ^^^ would start the 2nd half coming out of halftime and then around the 60th minute play like this:

========Jozy==Donovan========
    ==Torres===Dempsey===Corona==
    ===========Bradley===========
    =Johnson=Cameron==Gooch=Dolo=
    ============Howard===========

Does that make sense? Bradley moves to the middle say for Jones at halftime, then Corona plays out wide on the right and then around the 60th minute Jozy comes in for Boyd, and Dempsey for the other Central Mid to play in front of Bradley who would then be the lonely CDM almost like his general role for Chievo sometimes…and Dempsey would slot in front of him just behind Jozy and Donovan or up top with Jozy and Donovan behind them as the CAM or those two could juse rotate depending on the play which they kind of do to go forward as it is….

83. Alex says:

Should read enabling others to do so, not the way it is.

84. Bean says:

I’d really like to see Geoff Cameron start, or at least get 45 minutes to test him against top quality players since it’s just a friendly.

85. sam says:

The mids don’t have to sit on the flanks, they just have to help. When the ball goes to Neymar on the left, one can shade over but the other two can stay in the center.

On top of that, there’s no reason Donovan and Torres can’t come back to help on the flanks from their positions in the Scotland game.

86. El Torito says:

Dolo and Gooch = Neymar having a field day like last time.
    Who else do we have out there. Best of luck guys!!!

87. Nate Dollars says:

that’s theoretically possible, but, if landon and torres are coming back from a more central forward position to check back on the flanks, that sounds like a hell of a lot of running.

88. bryan says:

honestly, a 4-3-2-1 seems to turn into a offense 4-3-3. it certainly did against Scotland. i think you are right about Edu, but Torres will play. Gomez will sit and Bradley will take his spot.

89. Louis Z says:

I thought so too. when he did play the outside mid in MLS he was a bust. 4-3-3 is not what we are going out with tonite…well, I hope NOT.

90. louis z says:

actually, most if not all of his shots where in target, his problem was that each and everyone of the them where either blocked or deflected by the defense.

91. El Torito says:

Dolo and Gooch = Neymar having a field day like last time.
    Who else do we have out there. Best of luck guys!!!

92. steve says:

I don’t know why you would change a thing from the last game, other than maybe Gooch for Cameron. If something works well, why screw with it.

Scotland was operating out of a 4-3-3. We will see the same thing tonight. I happen to think the 4-3-2-1 is very effective against the 4-3-3 in that it is very disruptive of the midfielders who will be tasked with distributing teh ball. Who cares about stopping Neymar when he has the ball, we shoul be trying to prevent him from getting the ball in the first place.

93. louis z says:

Boyd can dish it out too, why do you think El Salvador defender gave him an elbow to the mouth?. I agree, have one of our CF soften up the Brazil defense and then bring the other for the kill.

94. RLW2020 says:

like everyone else, i completely disagree.

Bradley is made for that RCM position. he distributes well, defends and can contribute from the wing and box-to-box middle area.

Edu is perfect for the destroyer that is basically the 3rd CB with the ability to play into the midfield, but does not get into the attack too much, instead he allows jones and bradley (and the FB’s at times) to push forward.

95. louis z says:

Here is a question, are we better off with physical strength in our DBs or is speed what we will need vs Brazil. If is speed then Cameron is your man.

96. sam says:

I’d keep Donovan out wider on the right and ask him track back to help with Neymar, while keeping Torres tucked in and asking Jones to give more cover on the left. When Jones goes left, Torres can track back into the midfield to fill the hole.

97. louis z says:

I meant CBs instead of DBs

98. louis z says:

you are probably right on the money.

99. marco says:

Same 11, but where Landon and Jose will need to defend more.

100. marco says:

I agree. Jones, Bradley, Donovan and Torres will need to defend more.

101. RLW2020 says:

agreed, we need wingers for the future. right now besides Donovan and Beasley i wouldn’t say any of them are ready.

That last series vs. Guatemala and Antigua should (hopefully) be full of fringe players like Adu, Castillo, Gatt, etc.

102. marco says:

I don’t see Jozy playing at all.

103. RLW2020 says:

+! nice! starting? or off the bench!

104. RLW2020 says:

vs. Canada.

105. Dudinho says:

We have a hulk!

106. Joe+G says:

I expect some switching, if nothing else than to keep players fresh for the “5 game tournament”. You don’t want to run your starters into the ground, especially when the games that count come later.

107. B says:

I think this is the only way Klinsi rolls out a 4-4-2 against Brazil. I don’t think there’s any way he leaves off a pure CDM going up against such a potent Brazil attack.

108. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

That’s just who we are, man! The American Style…is just that…adopt, punch, adopt, punch harder…

109. JGD says:

Gooch is still a better defender than Cameron, Goodson, or Parkhurst. And Hulk is a pretty large fella (hence the nickname).

110. Primoone says:

I like SBI’s Lineup…however, I think Gomez is a crunch time player and would be more effective in 25-30 minute spurts at the end of a game. If you switch out gomez on the right and bring in Corona..you have a more possession/offensive option who can score goals. In addition, he can play all 90 if needed. The only issue is his youth and inexperience on the international stage. Do you start him against Brazil? I think there are more options other than Gomez on the wing however, they are not in camp. Chandler would be an absolute beast on the wing

111. mb says:

i would also rather see Cameron start than Gooch. Gooch isn’t quick enough, is less effective in possesion, and seems better suited to the Bradley era.

112. bryan says:

does anyone have stats on our CBs speed? everyone talks about Cameron being fast, but I’ve never thought he was a fast player. he isn’t slow, and IS faster than Gooch, but how much faster are we talking? i would like actual numbers on this and not opinions. if that’s possible.

i’d still go with Gooch in this game.

113. EAscott says:

I hope Hulk doesn’t turn green and crush Johnson – we need him!

114. biff says:

Yep, agree with that (assuming that Dempsey is yet fit enough to start). After the best offensive effort from a a USMNT team in four years against Scotland, I tend to think Klinsmann will adopt the if-it-ain’t-broke-then-don’t-fix-it-strategy. That line-up was poetry in motion. I still can hardly believe it happened. Why change it? Of the two players some see Klinsmann sitting, Boyd would be hungrier than ever to score tonight and could be a real pain in the butt for Brazil defense even if he does not score and Cameron, despite the own goal, I thought looked good against Scotland. His outlet passes were excellent, those kind of passes would come in handy against Brazil.

115. biff says:

…assuming that Dempsey is *not* yet fit enough to start…

116. MC Pharaoh says:

Howard
    C-Lo Gooch Boca Johnson
    Beckerman
    Bradley Jones
    Torres
    Gomez Donovan

Wont be surprised or upset if Boyd starts even though I would like a more skillful & technical striker for this match as I think we need to counteract skill with skill. I just absolutely dont want Edu to start. He would be a liability against such a flair-oriented side. He loses the ball far too often within his own half & Brazil will punish him for it unlike the times he does it in the SPL & against usual USNT opponents..

117. bryan says:

leaving my office near Union Station and heading to Eastern Market for drinks before the game! PEACE! USA USA USA!

118. Andrew says:

israel has some decent players (yossi benayoun comes to mind) and the US rarely shuts teams out. i would guess 3-1 america.

119. Andrew says:

castillo sucks at the international level, plain and simple. he is no better than bornstein most of the time. i don’t care how many games lichaj didn’t play, he looked a hell of a lot better than castillo ever has. castillo just doesn’t have the quality to deal with brazil. its gotta be fab at left back.

120. louis z says:

one can only go by why the sample in the play. more than one person have made the comment that Camaron is the fasterst of the 3, heck he is probably faster than BOCA which doesn’t say much. the actual number are there, as well as who jumps the highest etc etc. but not for us to see :-(

121. louis z says:

122. jon says:

TERRENCE BOYD, MOTHAFUCKAZ!!!

123. Michael Stypulkoski says:

124. b says:

Parkhurst is a RB not a CB (now)

125. JGD says:

Well, he may play RB but don’t let that confuse you. His best position is CB.

126. mb says:

i rest my case. thank you for your attention.