Williams hurts shoulder, out 4-to-6 weeks

Williams (Getty Images)

Danny Williams' place on the U.S. men's national team roster for next month's friendlies and June's World Cup qualifiers is in jeopardy.

The TSG 1899 Hoffenheim midfielder/defender is out for the last two games of the season after injuring his shoulder. According to Hoffenheim's web site, he will need to miss the next 4-to-6 weeks while recovering, which would make him fit right around the time that the U.S. men's national team faces Scotland, Brazil and Canada in friendlies before World Cup quailfiers against Antigua & Barbuda and Guatemala.

Williams, a defensive midfielder and defender for Hoffenheim, has been used primarily as a winger by Jurgen Klinsmann, but the 23-year-old's versatility and overall skill level makes him a valuable asset for the national team. He has started four of the last five national team matches (not including the ones following the January training camp), including playing all 90 minutes in the 1-0 victory over Italy in February.

What do you think of this development? Who would you want to see called in instead of Williams if he is not fit in time?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Williams hurts shoulder, out 4-to-6 weeks

1. Michael F. SBI Mafia Original says:

Obviously this is bad news. He is an asset with his versatility. Here’s to hoping he’s a fast healer.

2. Mig22 says:

Bummer. However, if there is one position we CAN replace, it’s the d-mid area. And I don’t think anybody wanted to see him on the wing again anyways.

Hope it’s a quick and complete recovery for him.

3. Meandu says:

Very disappointing if he cannot play in the upcoming friendlies. He’s been one of the better performers over recent games.

4. Shane says:

I’d rather see guys who came up through the US system playing anyway – like Spector. I wish him well with his recovery though.

5. The Imperative Voice says:

Why you focus on building the pool and not too much on any given lineup.

He wasn’t really playing DM, he was being deployed (out of position?) on the right. It may bother JK a little to lose him because he has been using him as gapfiller but he wasn’t going to start at DM and there are arguably better RM options, so…..

6. Tyler says:

Hahaha did this guy really just say he would rather see Jonathan Spector play than Danny Williams?!? This ladies and gents is why you shouldnt do drugs, plain and simple.

7. The Imperative Voice says:

IMO Spector’s involvement with the 23 should be for the sole Poor Man’s Beckham purpose of having him available to whack crosses from the backline when we need to come back in a game. He is too slow to uphold the prime directive of the backline, ie, playing defense. Though naive sorts like to talk about how he gets forward, the reality is that he costs as much or more than what he adds.

And big picture he’s lost in the shuffle of Lichaj, Dolo, Boca, and Chandler.

8. wides says:

Which games ? Hoffenheim games ?

I don’t remember anything spectacular or even really good about his wing performances for the USMNT. I wouldn’t mind seeing how he would do at CB for the nats… but as a winger, he’s been underwhelming for my money.

9. 2tone says:

Wish him a speedy recovery, but I had him on the outside of the 23 man roster with the back-ups. Bradley, Torres, Jones, and Edu were my 4 CM’s/DCM’s anyways. He will be a factor for the USMNT in the future at DCM.

10. DingDong says:

Ives, if you keep having pop-up ads with sound, I will have to stop checking this site at work. I need to have my speakers on. I understand you need to make money, so do what you need to do, but thought I should let you know.

11. adam says:

block the popup adds

12. Isaac says:

I’m not really devastated, but I am a tad disappointed that we won’t get to see how he would do in the center of midfield for the USA any time soon.

The center of midfield is well kept right now though. There are enough options to replace him.

13. NE Matt says:

He should good and healed/fit by our friendly vs El Tri in August. Heal up Danny – we’ll see you soon

14. Tyler says:

Tell me he and Ream couldn’t be a ridiculous tandem in central defense if both players kept their current form. That’s a pair to grow with as we move towards 2014 and phase out some of our older guys. If the Nats are at full strength I don’t see how Klinsmann doesn’t consider it given that Danny is down the pecking order as far as midfield is concerned.

15. marco says:

Lost a terrific winger.

16. ted says:

+1 exactly my thoughts

17. ThaDeuce says:

Was he not a left back option as well or am I thinking of another germarican (besides chandler)?

18. ThaDeuce says:

which one can also play left back- fabian or danny?

19. The Imperative Voice says:

Depends if he can run until this summer. You want to avoid the situation where you are out for one injury and then because you’re brought back unfit when the first injury is just healed — but you’ve been sitting around — you then pull a hammy or calf from dis-use…..Brad Davis.

20. b says:

What?? He is a mediocre winger. I have no idea why Klinsmann insists on using him there. He is a good defensive midfielder, though, and he can fill in as a defender in case of emergency.

21. bryan says:

well that sucks. i don’t like him on the wing for us, but he is still one of our better players.

22. Air Jordanz says:

Johnson’s a left footer, has been playing LB for Hoffenheim, and played LB against Italy in Feb.

23. marco says:

B, Above was sarcasm.
    He is a terrible winger who can neither cross nor get behind the defense. If Klinsmann plays him at wing again, that may give some credibility to Zimmerman’s rant on twitter.

24. Air Jordanz says:

Don’t get fooled by the fact JK has played him out of position every time he’s worn the USMNT jersey–Danny Williams is a CB/DM.

Spector’s more versatile and can play out wide or anywhere on the back line, but Williams is faster and a more pugnacious defender.

In short, their roles for the USMNT don’t overlap.

25. Air Jordanz says:

Or CB depth.

26. AC says:

Good and bad…Bad in that he is a versatile player but way out of position on the national team….Good in that now Klinnsman has to play players who are better on the wing….Well hopefully Donovan won’t have an excuse this time with games that actually count coming up.

27. Air Jordanz says:

Wish Danny well in his recovery, but personally I think this will make a lot of USMNT fans happy.

Based on potential contribution to the team, Danny probably ought to be in the #24-27 slots (because we’re so deep at his natural positions). We all know, however, JK would include him were he fit.

Now, it’s probably a safe bet that none of the projected fringe inclusions (Edu, Corona, Beasley, Cameron) will have to be excluded.

28. Gunther says:

As a German I say this is karma for this traitor. Good riddance.