U.S. Olympic qualifying roster set to be named

U23LineupMexico (ISI)

U.S. Men's Under-23 national team head coach Caleb Porter is expected to unveil the 20-player roster for CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament later today and there aren't likely to be many surprises in the group he selects.

You need only look at the team he put together in a recent training camp in Texas for a glimpse of what the qualifying roster should look like. Players like Brek Shea, Juan Agudelo, Freddy Adu and Bill Hamid are clear locks to make the team, as are European-based standouts Joe Gyau and Terrance Boyd.

Some players have made late forays into the squad, such as San Jose centerback Ike Opara and Hertha Berlin midfielder/defender Alfredo Morales.

So what will the squad look like? Here is one projection of the 20-man squad we could see kick off Olympic qualifying later this month:

PROJECTED U.S. OLYMPIC QUALIFYING ROSTER

GK- Bill Hamid, Sean Johnson

D- Perry Kitchen, Ike Opara, Zarek Valentin, Kofie Sarkodie, Jorge Villafana

M- Freddy Adu, Joe Corona, Mix Diskerud, Alfredo Morales, Amobi Okugo, Sebastian Lletget, Jared Jeffrey, Josh Gatt

F- Terrence Boyd, Brek Shea, Juan Agudelo, Joe Gyau, Teal Bunbury

————————

Why only five defenders? Both Morales and Gatt could play in defensive roles if called upon, and the versatility of players like Valentin and Sarkodie should help as well.

Why no Dilly Duka? He would have been on this squad, but a hamstring injury suffered on Saturday with Columbus seems likely to rule him out.

Which of these players could I see not being part of the squad? Josh Gatt. Not because he can't play, he's an outstanding winger, but because he played such a small part in the lead-up to the tournament. He only attented part of one camp, a camp trip that was cut short by injury. If Porter decides to pass on Gatt and go with someone who has been involved in more caps and done well, Jack McInerney or Greg Garza could be options.

What do you think of this squad? Who is missing that you think should be called up?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's Olympic Team. Bookmark the permalink.

94 Responses to U.S. Olympic qualifying roster set to be named

1. RK says:

Supposedly Gatt was released by Molde according to Yanks Abroad. Not sure if it’s all or part of the tournament.

2. Lampard in the End Zone says:

Nothing against Bunbury, but, if his club is willing to release him, I would prefer Andrew Wooten. He is in midseason form and has been scoring goals for Kaiserslautern II.

3. Hot Mike says:

Molde have announced that Gatt has been released.

link to fotball.rbnett.no

4. Kyle says:

Any word on who might be the Overage players?

5. James says:

Maybe it’s too earlier for this, or maybe I’ve missed it, but do we have any idea which senior players would be called in, assuming we qualify?

6. Second City says:

I’m missing Jozy’s non-knee-bend-itis in that image. Call him in as an over age player!

(SBI-He’s actually young enough to play for this team, but there’s no way his club would release him for the qualifying tournament.)

7. Aaron says:

can’t add overage players until the Olympics in London

8. chris says:

hes young enough

9. malkin says:

over age? He’s only 22.

10. chris says:

I hope there is none

11. Ben says:

With Gatt and Gyau on the wings this team will have some spectacular speed.

12. Vic says:

I really enjoyed the USA/Mexico friendly. Its nice to see an American team finally play with skill.

13. fischy says:

I’m hoping for a call…

14. Buddle-icious says:

The problem with American soccer is it’s too much of a white bread sport.

15. ufool says:

..the hell?

16. Jonathan S says:

I say we call in Dempsey, Donovan and/or Boca to london. Along with these young guys, it would make an awesome squad

17. DeLarge says:

That doesn’t even make sense in any sense, gramatically or otherwise.

18. K-Town says:

Have you not noticed that SIX of the starting eleven in the photo are black?! A mix of african american, straight up african (Adu), and latin american, and hell, I’ll even give you african-candadian-american (Bunbury). Sounds pretty white bread to me. Hell Kitchen and Mix are the only white dudes in the photo!

19. Freddie F. says:

I hope you’re joking. See that picture above? Very diverse. I’d like to see an Asian American make it into the upper echelons of US Soccer. It’s time for some Lin-sanity, on the soccer level!

20. Matt says:

Do you guys think that Jozy, Chandler, Williams will be called for the actual games if they make it.

21. CroCajun says:

I might be in the minority here, but I don’t want to see Demps or Donovan in the Olympic squad.

1 – Because they would be taking spotlight away from our young stars who would be on display.

2 – Because they are getting up in age and don’t need the extra minutes.

We’ve still yet to see them together in a game under JK due to small knocks and sicknesses. One of them picking up a bad injury from a young player making a rash tackle looking to make a name for himself in the Olympics would not be ideal.

I support including Boca as both a stabilizer in the squad and as a victory lap for an incredible career as Captain America.

That’s my two cents. What do you guys think?

22. marco says:

Would Gatt be released for both qualifiers and Olympics?
    I don’t think so.

Nice side, but back line is weak, with Sarkodie the weakest. Hope he selects another defender.

23. anon says:

Biggest cuts for me would be Tony Taylor, Andrew Wooten, and Gale Agbossoumonde. We all had Gale penciled in as a starter a year ago. I also think Luis Gil had a shot at this team, but I guess its not to be.

24. THomas says:

I think it’s foolish not to call in your best 3 players, so long as they are an upgrade from the younger guys at that spot.

It adds veteran presence and if every other nation is doing it you’re only putting yourself at a disadvantage. I’d like to see Dempsey, Howard, and Boca to solidify the defense. We have plenty of attacking presence. Maybe Bradley instead of any of those guys as well.

25. pancholama says:

I’m looking for an Afro-Caribbean / Tibetan American lad named Thubten who plays mid-field like Claudio diStefano Harkes-Johnson Bradley.

26. pancholama says:

I’d rather them than Dempsey or Donovan. On the one hand – I watched Brian McBride play with the Olympic squad last time around and he seemed very out of place, lacked synch and rhythm with the other players.
    On the other, having some veteran leadership (could argue Adu brings a boat load – it’s not his first dog and pony show by any stretch) – is vital. So having Boca, or Dempsey, or Tim Howard in the mix could be major a stabilizing influence on the team.

27. primoone says:

With those two wingers working wide…Adu and Mix will be a nightmare for the opposition to contain up the gut.

28. Henry says:

When will they be released? Are these players going to play this weekend fro their clubs?

29. David St. Hubbins says:

I would like to see Kelyn Rowe on this squad.

30. Chef says:

Qualifying
    Shea———-Boyd————Gyau

———————–Adu———–

——–Diskerud———————

————–Morales—————-

Valentin—Opara—Kitchen—Sarkodie/Gatt

—————Hamid—————–

Who I’d like to see at the Olympics(If players are healthy and released) Basically the future of the USMNT when the Dempsey/Donovan era is over.
    Shea———-Altidore————Gyau

———————–Adu———–

——–Bradley———————

————–D.Williams—————

F.Johnson—Opara—G.Cameron—Chandler

—————Hamid—————–

31. JesseMT says:

Don’t worry. Some of us got the joke.

32. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Understand your reasoning, but don’t agree.

The over-age spots are deserved by the 3 you mention. Few have done more for US Soccer than those 3 and all are at the top of their games (perhaps not Boca)…all 3 DESERVE to be named as a reward for their careers.

But, let’s wait till we qualify so as not to jinx this team.. OK?

33. 2tone says:

I don’t want to see Gatt at RB at all. His defense is atrocious. I would rather see him at RW as a starter or as a super sub.

34. 2tone says:

You know I am going to agree with this roster except Bunbury. I don’t think he deserves to be on this squad, but I highly doubt Porter leaves him off. Personally I would rather see Taylor instead of Bunbury. Can’t wait for the roster release!!!!!!!!!

35. Matt says:

Well isnt Jozy Chandler and Williams all under 23 anyways? So they wouldnt have to waste an overage spot. Then put in Dempsey with Donovan and maybe a gooch or Boca I think would be a solid pick

36. timothy says:

just in case anyone read this incorrectly like I did, he was released to play in the tournament, not released from the team

37. The Imperative Voice says:

Permitted to play qualifying or outright cashiered?

38. malkin says:

I didn’t (and still don’t), but I also didn’t take the comment seriously either.

39. The Imperative Voice says:

Fourth division? I know people deride MLS but the debate is usually about how it measures up to B.2. Regionalliga West is two notches below that and Bunbury starts and produced decently in MLS.

40. The Imperative Voice says:

Corona.

41. bryan says:

dude, Jozy, Chandler and Williams are AGE ELIGIBLE. we could see those three AND LD and/or Donovan.

42. Joe+G says:

I’ll be I’m even more overage than you.

43. The Imperative Voice says:

Donovan seems to be in need of a rest. I’d save Dempsey for qualifying.

I’d call in at least one back (at least one CB…..maybe Cameron and Boca?) — not counting Chandler, who’s of age? — and maybe a forward. My concern on this team is as talented as the Ms and Fs and GKs are, the backs are mostly iffy MLS draft picks.

But the overage players are academi right now because I understand qualifying to be strictly U23.

44. Chop says:

I most certainly didn’t have Gale penciled in anywhere. Most overrated player in US system.

45. The Imperative Voice says:

I expect for them all to be on the team if we make it.

46. Air Jordanz says:

Bunbury showed little to nothing against Venezuela, Panama and Mexico U23 recently.

There’s seriously nobody else ahead of his for the 3rd CF spot?

47. Air Jordanz says:

Might be nice to add Geoff Cameron as a CB (who adds DM versatility as well) and maybe Edgar Castillo or Eric Lichaj as an outside back with some experience capable of playing in the midfield too.

48. The Imperative Voice says:

He’s like the DirectTV “don’t” commercials. “Don’t reenact Platoon with Charlie Sheen.” “Don’t sign for Traffic like Gale A.”

He’s not the only one, though, S. Ibeagha of Duke and ostensible the Dynamo Academy system has forever been blowing off the Dynamo homegrown contract offers to go back to the USYNT well trying for one more big deal abroad. He won’t make the Olympic team after basically foregoing money to pursue it. The irony is he’d have had more chance at the Olympics — like Gale A. — signing here and leveraging that, than playing games designed to supposedly increase freedom.

49. Tyler says:

And I would like to run for president of FIFA :/

50. Air Jordanz says:

The Olympics is a showcase for the U23s… not a reward system for 3 overage players (which are optional btw).

The three spots should, IF USED, go to fringe senior team members who can contribute in areas of weakness (for this particular team, that would be CB and FB).

51. Dinho says:

agreed. Bunbury has been disappointing. I’d like to see someone else fill this spot, but he will get called.

52. Yankeedom says:

If Alfredo Morales participates in qualifying would that be enough to cap-tie him to the USA?

53. blasie213 says:

Andrew Wooten > Teal Bunbury

54. blaise213 says:

Andrew Wooten has been moved up to the first team

55. Chef says:

He best bet is at RB. Too much talent ahead of him at the wing positions.

56. Louis Z says:

no. he nees to play for WC qualifier, Confederation cup or WC

57. Chef says:

Hamid and Johnson are the most outstanding of the young players. Why would you waste an overage spot and give it to Howard? I agree Boca will probably get picked but I would rather see a younger player like Cameron get more exposure. No problem with Dempsey going either but I would like to see how Bradley meshes with the younger guys more than Dempsey.

58. Colin says:

There’s no way the US won’t call up Bradley, Dempsey, and Cameron to play in the Olympics. Hamid; Sarkodie, Kitchen, Cameron, Valentín; Bradley; Gyau, Diskerud, Adu; Agudelo, Taylor

59. Conrad says:

The very definition of “irony”! Well played.

60. RLW2020 says:

or that he has been released from his moldy holding cell

61. RLW2020 says:

yes it is too early. Those players won’t be called in until after (and if!) we qualify.

If/When that happens Landon and Bocanegra have been the top rumored, but a lot of talk about Johnson, Cameron, Bradley, John, etc. The need is for defenders across the back line or just knockout players to take the heat off the young stars.

62. blaise213 says:

Geoff Cameron, George John, Fabian Johnson

With the addition of Chandler, Thats one solid back line!

63. otergod says:

well it’s posted above that he was released for the quals, and seeing as Molde HAS to release him for the Olympics if the US make it i would wager that Gatt will be released for both.

64. RLW2020 says:

well put. Lando & Demps have enough on their plates and US Soccer needs to prove that we are more than just a 2 horse team. This group has some huge talent in the attacking dept. I say keep them together (+ Jozy!) and upgrade the defense. Id pick F. Johnson, Boca and either Bradley, Edu or Cameron.

65. jermaine says:

Good call, exactly what i was thinking.

66. RLW2020 says:

looks good but i thought Caleb Porter was all about the 4-3-3.

And the top line is the most exciting part of this team. Shea and Gyau on the wings and Boyd/Jozy in the middle will score goals! makes passing of Taylor and Jack Mac easy.

67. Yaznasty says:

That is exactly the line-up I had in mind for qualifying. I say go with Gatt over Sarkodie. Porter likes Kofi because he is more of an attacking player and that is what he likes out of an RB and he knows he gets that with Kofi, but from what we’ve heard and seen, Gatt is a better winger and has played RB.

I really like that Olympic line-up too. I’ve heard we will have a tough time getting the guys who play in Bundesliga though. I also like the idea of bringing Bradley even though we have a pretty solid midfield. I think that several years down the line when most of our current senior team guys have moved on and most of these younger guys are with the senior team, it will be MB who is leading them.

Also, I want to see my Akron boys start, but only if they deserve it and are the best players on the squad. Despite what the haters say, I think Porter feels the same way

68. Andrew says:

This team is dope.

69. Dr Rosenrosen says:

did not look all that great vs mexico with the ball at his feet near goal

70. Louis Z says:

your logic is flawed, regionalliga is BL1’s farm team, they don’t get promoted to BL3-or 2,1 regionalliga teams doesn’t get promoted, players get promoted.

71. louis z says:

you probably hit the nail in the head in both of your lineups.

72. Chef says:

It is a 4-3-3 with Adu at ACM overplaying the right, Diskerud as the Box to Box CM overplaying the left b/c Shea likes to come back for the ball more often, and Morales playing DCM destroying heads coming up the middle.

73. theraccoun says:

Or Shea. Dude is so freaking fast

74. The Imperative Voice says:

I have to judge his performance by the league he is in, which is in fact the RW. Lecturing me about German soccer pyramid doesn’t change that. He does in fact play in the RW and I have to compare that to players plying their trade in first and second divisions elsewhere, including Germany and the USA. There is no logical flaw in that, when he scores it’s usually on a RW team, no?

Yes, he can be shifted to the B.1 side — and has appeared for that team recently — and K2 cannot be promoted. Neither here nor there really because then I need to see if he performs at that level. If he struggles in the B.1 then I have to discount what I saw at RW.

I mean, let’s say some American was tearing up England’s Conference or League Two, which play for USL wages or worse. Jason Banton came over here with that type of pedigree and got flushed by a MLS team in roster cuts. Ditto The Lesser Rooney. I’ll believe it when I see it.

75. The Imperative Voice says:

George John came off the bench yesterday for FCD, and he can’t seem to make up his mind whether he’s Hellas Giorgos or USA!USA!George for nationality purposes. In which case I’d reward someone shall we say more committed who is in-form as well.

76. Angel of LA says:

Not Yet until the USA qualify to London. I hope three of my list get pick Dempsey, Bradley, Oguchi, Guzan or Donovan, Bocanegra or Howard.

77. Angel of LA says:

I disagree he look good except that he need to be more aggressive to the goal. He had a couple of chances to “Kill” Mexico but I guess his emotions got hold on him. But Corona was great especially in the first half.

78. PD says:

would like to see Williams (he plays with Philly Union) but I see the logic of the picks here and 1. he’s not as multi-dimensional and 2. I don’t think the union can afford to give up Adu and Okugo AND someone else.

besides, I’d use Chandler and D. Johnson as two of my overage players for this squad… keep them fit during the layoff.

79. away goals says:

I don’t think you are correct here otergod. Clubs aren’t obligated to release players for the olympics, even the age eligible ones. Per a grant wahl post from a while back.

Anybody have a definite source that settles this one way or the other?

80. CroCajun says:

But who’s to say these guys want this “reward”.

81. Rich says:

does anyone know when this is actually being released? usually ussf releases rosters early in the afternoon

82. Dinho says:

Just got released, See US Soccer website.

Ives was almost 100% correct. Only difference was Stephens for Lleget. Big surprise to me.

Maybe West Ham wouldn’t release Lleget???

83. marco says:

USSoccer 19 man roster as one withdrew with injury. Letget?
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C. United; Annandale, Va.), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire; Lilburn, Ga.)
    DEFENDERS (6): Josh Gatt (Molde; Plymouth, Mich.), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United; Indianapolis, Ind.), Ike Opara (San Jose Earthquakes; Durham, N.C.), Kofi Sarkodie (Houston Dynamo; Huber Heights, Ohio), Zarek Valentin (Montreal Impact; Lancaster, Pa.), Jorge Villafaña (Chivas USA; Anaheim, Calif.)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Freddy Adu (Philadelphia Union; Potomac, Md.), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Mix Diskerud (Gent; Oslo, Norway), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz; Richardson, Texas), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union; Sacramento, Calif.), Michael Stephens (LA Galaxy; Naperville, Ill.)
    FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls; Barnegat, N.J.), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund; Berlin, Germany), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City; Prior Lake, Minn.), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim; Silver Spring, Md.), Brek Shea (FC Dallas; Bryan, Texas)

Don’t like Stephens selection at all.

84. Goalscorer24 says:

+1. Cameron is a good choice, give him some tournament experience. I also would prefer someone other than Donovan and Dempsey.

85. marco says:

Morales and Letget missing. Stephens added.

86. Goalscorer24 says:

How about Lichaj?

87. Goalscorer24 says:

Not sure I would want to see Bradley in the olympic squad. He is playing plenty and I would hate to seem him get hurt. I would prefer using players that are the secondary guys for the full men’s team. This way they both bring some experieince, but also gain some experience. Guys like Cameron, Lichaj, Castillo etc…

88. Goalscorer24 says:

89. Goalscorer24 says:

I liked Tony Taylor more then Bunbury.

90. Jerry says:

i saw the official roster and Morales what¿ we need Morales is a great player

91. Jerry says:

Please i wanna Know why Morales is out

92. marco says:

Me too.

93. Northzax says:

Teams have to release players who are age eligible, but not the over-age trios. link to tinyurl.com

This was a big deal in 2008, Barcelona especially didn’t want to lose Messi for the month right before the season (the Beijing Games were in mid-August, not July like London), but FIFA ruled against them, citing the ‘unique’ opportunity of the Games.