Sounders hand Dynamo first loss

SoundersDynamo (Getty)

The Houston Dynamo started out Friday night's match against the Seattle Sounders looking every bit like a team capable of winning its third straight road game.

The Sounders had other ideas.

A deflected David Estrada goal and a Brad Evans penalty gave Seattle a first-half lead despite Houston starting the match well. The Dynamo enjoyed plenty of possession but managed just two shots on goal, not nearly enough to offset a strong showing from the Sounders in Seattle's 2-0 victory at CenturyLink Field.

It was a night to forget for Houston defender Geoff Cameron. He deflected an Estrada shot past goalkeeper Tally Hall, then surrendered a penalty after grabbing Patrick Ianni in the penalty area.

The loss dropped the Dynamo to 2-1 to start the season, while Seattle improved to 2-0 for the first time in the club's MLS history.

Here are the match highlights:

What did you think of the match? Impressed with Seattle's performance? Surprised how well Houston played in the loss? Think Estrada's goal should have been ruled an own goal?

This entry was posted in MLS- Houston Dynamo, MLS- Seattle Sounders. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Sounders hand Dynamo first loss

1. scott says:

Houston, classless as always…

link to youtube.com

2. The King of Norway says:

I think Clark’s outburst will be the dominant storyline after this game.

3. Baal says:

Houston is overrated, they stunk. Seattle and its fans are beginning to get on my nerves. This game wasn’t really that good.

4. Casey says:

The Sounders started their season 2-0 in their first MLS season…

5. patrick says:

I agree about the Houston part, and I’m a Dynamo fan. I still wonder how they managed to get to the mls cup last year with basically the same squad.

6. Cris says:

Do the Sounders practice diving. It was rediculous how easy they fell down last night. They also got lucky with their goals. Houston had very good control of the ball but couldn’t finish.

7. Baal says:

…and I want Houston to be good b/c I’ll see them a lot this season vs NYRB. The East needs strong teams. Maybe just wasn’t clicking last night for Davis.

8. Dan says:

They really haven’t had any other “classless” moments. Yes, it was a horrible thing to do, but Houston hasn’t had any other instances like this.

9. Travis says:

Couldn’t finish? They didn’t really even create good chances. Houston did look good in possession but did very little with it.

10. downintexas says:

Please, I hate the Thugamos more than the next guy. But please the ball “boy” got what he deserved. Open question for anyone Are the ball boys/girls members of a team? If not than Should they treat one team unfairly?

11. Travis says:

saying gay slurs is never deserved. it doesnt matter if they are members of the team or not

12. Lassidawg says:

They may have been diving, but it slowed down the thug ball we usually see Houston play against Seattle.
    Until the red protect the players (see Rosales last week) they will need to protect themselves by going down easily to get calls.
    No soft foul had an impact on the goal.
    Seattle showed its depth again last night.

13. g? says:

I hate diving.
    That said, besides Alvaro (of whom it must be said that some of his embellishment was after a legitimate foul), I didn’t think any other Sounder went down too easily. And considering that we continue to lose our best players to hacks (Alvaro himself has missed quite a bit from fouls), I can understand why that would be the response.
    Though I still wish he’d stay on his feet more.

Also, we got pretty lucky there. But I’ll take it.

14. Kasey says:

I thought it was 3-0

15. mouf says:

homophobia, and the use of that particular word in that context is unacceptable.

“he deserved it”

wow, seriously Geraldo?

16. mouf says:

well outside of throwing beers at players, but ya, we can forget that too

17. A wise man once says:

Actually that was the Houston FANS.

18. marco says:

Sounders win with two scrubs at FB, Scott and Burch. Houston should have exploited them more. Color man Martino went into game with preconceived notions about players, and looked foolish when replays proved his comments wrong. Arlo could have made him look foolish, but was a gentleman.

19. fortt says:

“MLS is aware of the Colin Clark incident/apology and “conducting a thorough review of the facts and examining possible disciplinary action.”

20. ted says:

I dont know who was on the ground more, Moreno/Fernandez or the ball….embarrassing how much they flop

21. Hopper says:

You forgot to include the other scrubs that started … Ianni and Levesque.

Levesque should have buried that chance in the second half.

22. Hopper says:

Moreno? Which game were you watching?

Besides, hard to stay on your feet when Houston thugs it up.

23. one legged says:

Fernandez needs to stay on his feet more.

Seattle didn’t play their typical soccer without Rosales.

24. beachbum says:

we disagree again

by falling to ground so easily, all that does is give the defenders more reason to actually go in even harder

knowing they will go down so easily = might as well earn the whistle

25. Steve says:

Expect Don Garber to go all Roger Goodell on Colin Clark. I’m guessing at least a 10 game suspension with no pay. A pro soccer player in the US calling a 12-year old kid a “F*#$@& F$@@%*” on national TV is simply beyond the pale.

I wouldn’t even be surprised one bit if the kid’s parent’s sue the Clark, the MLS and CenturyLink Field for causing the kid severe mental distress.

26. Me says:

I agree. Flaco going down so easily was pretty upsetting for this Sounders fan.

That said, I also wonder if Flaco is used to being pushed to the ground. He’s pretty slightly built. This isn’t meant as an excuse, but more a question of size and strength. There is a reason he’s not a hold-up forward.

27. Me says:

This is a little extreme. There does need to be some league punishment for Clark. Inexcusable.

28. sammysounder74 says:

Davis marching around trying to get Fernandez carded, confronting BOTH the 4th official and Sigi.

Moffat tackling studs-up on Ozzie, than complaining about.

Kinnear working the ref from the side-line accusing Chicanos of diving. How many Latinos do you have on your side Dominic?

Moffat taking a blatant kick, cutting out Fredy’s at the 30 minute mark.

I’m glad we don’t play those guys again. Houston are thugs.

29. sammysounder74 says:

Settle didn’t look that good, but I think it was an off-game more than anything. A surprising amount of the off-ball runs we were just pushed down or checked. It’s thug ball, but it wasn’t carded (or even called) all that much, so I don’t blame Houston for that. We’ll do better moving forward.

30. sammysounder74 says:

Because Latino’s are dirting cheating bastards, right? Houston are a bunch of thugs.

31. sammysounder74 says:

When did they go to ground easily? Kinnear yelled at the ref, then Martino kept harping on “diving” all match, but it didn’t happen.

Fredy was getting kicked all night and got no protection at all from the refs. Houston’s a bunch of thugs.

32. sammysounder74 says:

They all look the same.

33. sammysounder74 says:

*sarcasm

34. sammysounder74 says:

No, it’s not okay. You don’t get to slur an ethnic group on national television.

If I said something like that at my job there would be repercussions and there should be here as well.

35. Kasey says:

Sounds to me like even you have a case for injury yourself.. ? maybe all juggalo fans should just stop supporting their lackluster team altogether

36. Kanun says:

Gays are an ethnic group?

37. beachbum says:

I appreciate your passion for your team, man

Specifically, Lassidawg was speaking of the tactic the Sounders will need to use, etc.

I disagreed with that tactic because I have observed that it typically creates the exact thing the tactic is supposed to mitigate…hard challenges

that’s it

38. euroman says:

Headline: Cameron beats Houston single handedly! Easy to see his limitations with all the fouling and poor positioning throughout the match.

39. Henry says:

That was a bad match all around. Houston couldn’t create anything in front of the box. Seattle flopped around. Fernandez fakes a hit and goes down to try and get a second yellow on Davis after the game is won. Clark is stupid. Cameron basically scored twice against his own team. I didn’t think either of these teams looked good. They are probably both a lot better than what we saw. That being said, all this about Houston being thugs is just as stupid. Sammysounder74 and Clark should go live on an island for idiots together.

40. Every team are thugs except mine... says:

Well Mouf, Seattle fans (and lets be honest, pretty much everyone’s fans) are just the same. I’ve been to a Sounders game where beer was thrown at opposing players. I’ve been to a Sounders game where an opposing fan was walking outside the stadium with his family and Sounders fans came up behind and spray painted on his jersey. Let’s not be holier than thou. All the supporters know this which is why they sent the response letter to MLS supporting the Houston supporters. As an organization, Houston is one of the classier ones in the league.

41. hogatroge says:

And your FCB boys are saints in comparison, right?

I seem to remember a spitting incident last season against the Dynamo in a preseason loss.

42. hogatroge says:

I wasn’t happy with the 15 minutes of the 1st half I saw of the Dynamo, but the stats say they stunk less than Seattle, and both teams had 1 goal.

Dynamo had ~100 more passes, ~5% more possession, more shots, more corner kicks, etc.

43. hogatroge says:

Wah wah wah. The Sounders are no saints. Take the win and get over it. Just be glad SSFC doesn’t have to play in Houston this year.

44. hogatroge says:

Your opinion is instantly discredited based upon your username.

45. hogatroge says:

Nice analysis for a change. You must be a neutral.

As a Houston fan, I’m not thrilled how my team played/acted for various reasons, but I gotta stand up for my boys when wild assertations start getting thrown around.

46. Johnnyvan says:

when will Seattle ever get rid of the plastic pitch?

47. Your mom says:

…excep that pesky stat called “score”.

48. Kishan Jeter says:

So many teams that have dominated by creating chances like Houston, end up losing. Sure, there was a lucky deflection but Seattle created that luck by taking the shot. You have to take shots when in range. True, Ianni is small when compared to Cameron so it’s understandable that he’d go down from a nudge in the back while trying to jockey for position so the penalty kick was justified. But to be honest, Houston could’ve recovered if Watson (attacking midfielder) had better control. His passing was terrible and he never attacked the goal. He is not a playmaker. Even with Camargo’s fitness being low, he should’ve started. We could’ve gotten a few goals before any of the mishaps even happend. Would’ve made for a different game.

49. hogatroge says:

The Sounders know a lot about scores. My favorite was 1-6.

50. Lottery Winner says:

Hey, is the Imperative Voice on vacation?