Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

TimHowardBlack (Getty)

Tim Howard celebrated his 33rd birthday earlier this week and will be looking for a belated birthday present in the form of a victory against fellow American Brad Friedel and Tottenham today.

Today's Tottenham clash is the first game in a big week of matches for Everton, with the Toffees taking on Liverpool on Tuesday and playing in the FA Cup quarterfinals on Saturday against Sunderland.

The Everton-Tottenham clash isn't the only match-up that will pair Americans up against each other. In Mexico, U.S. World Cup teammates Herculez Gomez and DaMarcus Beasley could see a lot of each other when Santos Laguna takes on Puebla.

Tim Ream and Bolton open today's action on national TV against Queens Park Rangers, with a win potentially helping the Trotters climb out of the relegation zone. In Germany, another key match-up featuring Americans will see Hoffenheim take on Bayern Munich, with Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams expected to play key roles against the German powerhouse.

The 2012 MLS season also kicks off today, with defending champion Los Angeles Galaxy taking on Real Salt Lake.

If you will be watching today's action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Today's TV Schedule is after the jump):

7:30 p.m. - MLS Live/Direct Kick - D.C. United vs. Sporting Kansas City

8 p.m. - Telefutura - Santos Laguna vs. Puebla

8 p.m. - Telemundo - Chivas de Guadalajara vs. Cruz Azul

10 p.m. - Galavision - San Luis vs. Pachuca

10 p.m. - Telefutura - Atlante vs. Atlas

10:30 p.m. - MLS Live/Direct Kick - Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake

10:30 p.m. - MLS Live/Direct Kick - San Jose Earthquakes vs. New England Revolution

This entry was posted in Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

123 Responses to Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

1. ARGH says:

A brace for the Texan today. Come on

2. JrDosSantos says:

LETS GO BOLTON!!!!!!111111

this is the definition of a 6pointer for both teams

3. Mig22 says:

Massive mistake by the line judge takes a goal away from Clint Hill as the ball clears the line but the keeper makes a sick stop (if late), off the underside of the bar, and out. Line judge never saw it cross but in his defense, it happened very, very fast. Tough to take in a relegation battle.

4. UffyEdo says:

Tim Ream with the assist.

5. Yogi says:

Ream showed nice touch with that cross. Got rewarded with his first assist.

6. Leo says:

Nice assist by Mr. Ream, on ESPN no less.

7. Dan Winters says:

Ream acquitting himself well on both ends.

8. Kevin says:

USMNT really need Bolton to stay up this season…

9. JG13 says:

Yes but at this point I would be surprised if we see him in a position as advanced as he was on his assist again today.

10. ARGH says:

do we really? I’m sure if Holden gets healthy, he could find another PL club. Albeit he may not be a 100% sure starter. Ream however well either PL or Championship, he can adapt. Our centerback pairing as of now is Boca and Gooch and Goodson. Ream will be at the next WC regardless if he’s in the PL or not

11. Matt says:

Ream is clearly our replacement for bocanegra.

12. Dan in New York says:

Beautiful cross from Tim Ream for Bolton’s goal. He’s looking good out there.

13. GW says:

“I’m sure if Holden gets healthy, he could find another PL club.”

Why? Holden still has a lot to prove. He has been away a long time.

His best bet is tho stay with Coyle, wherever he is.

14. Kevin says:

its the easiest solution…Holden is somewhat established at Bolton and has been solid when healthy and Ream seems to have settled nicely…

15. wilyboy says:

Classic assist from Ream! Did a witch curse Bolton to only win if an American makes the play?

16. Alex G says:

Really Ream?, what about Zack Withbread?, he deserves a chance to start for the USMNT, he´s better than Goodson, far better

17. Mig22 says:

at this point, I think we can say that Goodson, Ream, AND Whitbread all deserve to play some this summer. Ream and Whitbread are starting in the Prem, that counts. Who’s better? Who knows? I hope Klinsman does.

18. bryan says:

DC! UNITED! DC! UNITED!

19. wilyboy says:

Don’t remind me how long it is until 7:30.

20. TomG says:

If you are happy with 3 low and mid 30 year old CB’s, none of whom are particularly technical, and none of which play in a top 5 league, then you must love mediocrity. The 3 CBs with the best upsides that could conceivably play in 2014 are clearly Ream, Opara, and Cameron. A Ream Opara tandem or a Cam Opara duo would give us a very nice blend of techniical ability and arhleticism. None of them is quite there yet, and Opara is probably a longshot, but it will be very, very tough to make any noise in the WC with an such an old and unskilled crew in back.

21. Jonathan S says:

Good for Bolton

22. TomG says:

I think he should get his shot certainly. From what I’ve seen, he is a bit more of a Gooch replacement, as a solid, clear it out, lump it upfield type. I haven’t seen as much technical skill as I’ve seen with Ream and Cameron. I’m sure Klinsi would love to have at least one technical CB to link up with the midfield. I am unsure of Zak in that regard but will defer to someone who has seen him more than the 4-5 matches I have.

23. TomG says:

Man I love relegation. This match is as tense as a Barca Real match.

24. TomG says:

Bolton gets its chin up out of the relegation pool and gets to breathe the sweet air of safety for a week.

25. Frank says:

I feel like I am a crazy person when people bring up Tim Ream. What does everyone see that I am missing? Yes he can pass out of the back but his defensive skill set is awful every time I watch him play. He gets lost on corners , gets pushed around by forwards, and has mental lapses. Replacement for boca….not a shot. The primary function of a center back is to defend and win balls in the air, he does neither. If he ends up becoming the best center back for the united states I’ll eat my words but until then let’s stop the praise. Even today he had an awful give way that should have led to a goal.

26. hogatroge says:

Holden’s performance in two EPL seasons more than justifies another top side team taking a risk on him in spite of his injuries.

It also helps that all of his major injuries have come from serious contact. If he appeared to be made of glass by suffering a bunch of off the ball injuries (e.g. ACL tears while cutting, etc.), that would be a different story.

A pay cut would likely be involved, though.

27. hogatroge says:

Ream’s a World Cup cycle younger than Whitbread.

28. Isaac says:

Tim Ream already sounding British and using the word “lads.” Good day for the guy :)

29. Ted in MN says:

Tim Ream makes for a pretty good interview.

30. predicto says:

Good interview, but Ream’s a mumbler. Keep speaking american, laddie.

31. Tom says:

Hoffenheimerica getting crushed by Bayern, 3-0 after 21 minutes.

32. TomG says:

Great game for Timmy, blocking shots and a beautiful cross for the assist as he cleverly sneaks up not the wing from a CB position. It seems Coyle loves his ability to get forward. That was a brilliant, brilliant little play there.

33. francois says:

Well Bolton bought him, Arsenal had a look at him prior to that. Obviously, he has something that these clubs are seeing. He’s young, xenterbacks don’t develop like other players, it takes a lot of experience to learn positioning and all of the savy, veteran tricks that make great centerbacks.

34. TomG says:

:) yes but he also said games instead of matches so he hasn’t quite gone all Friedely quite yet.

35. Mig22 says:

Ok, here is my rant. I am a (sad, angry) Chelsea fan. For years, I would have to endure terrible games on Fox Soccer while Chelsea played and was not on broadcast. Now, Chelsea is the most frustrating 5th place team in history and they are on EVERY week. Hell, even I don’t want to see Chelsea-Stoke over Villa-Fulham. Oh well. /rant over. :)

36. Mig22 says:

He was quite good today. And he knows where to put the ball to get it out of trouble.

37. TomG says:

Doesn’t really matter, does it? LD was a FEW cycles younger than his competitors when he debuted. The manager will pick the best player regardless of age.

38. Ream with the assist. And a solid performance from what I heard post-match.

39. predicto says:

Aston villa all over Fulham at 6 minutes

40. TomG says:

We cant praise him until he is a starting CB for the US? That doesn’t make any sense to me. I respectfully disagree with most of what you said. His defensive skill set is very strong. He takes perfect. Angles to the ball and has good burst and acceleration. His tackling technique is perfect. His problem has been concentration and focus in the past but he’s looked quite focused with Bolton so far.

41. predicto says:

Fulham needs to pressure the ball – they’re allowing AV way too much space. Fulham looks completely different in this away game – meek and quiet. Hopefully they’ll pick it up.

42. MemRook says:

Is MLS Direct Kick sports package a free preview this weekend? I haven’t paid for it yet but I’m able to set recordings for all the games (woot!) and I hope I’m hoping it’s not a trick, cuz I’ll be sooooo sad when I get home from work if it is.

43. Mig22 says:

Well, after the rant, I have to say the di Matteo chose an interesting lineup today. Mata and Torres on the bench, Lamps and Kalou and Obi Mikel starting.

44. Polo says:

di Matteo starting off his tenor with a crazy lineup. Juan Mata has far and away been one of Chelsea’s bright spots… why is he relegated to the bench?

45. Polo says:

Stupid autocorrect, *tenure.

46. GW says:

“Holden’s performance in two EPL seasons more than justifies another top side team taking a risk on him in spite of his injuries”

That is how you feel. You are a biased USMNT fan. I doubt it is shared by many other EPL managers.

They will look at his Bolton time and note that he has missed over 50% of his games and has injury prone written all over him. They will note he will be 27 in August. They will note he had a system perfectly set up for him at Bolton. In other words, a possible one year wonder. What are the chances they would build their teams around him like Coyle did?

Coyle believes in the guy, will likely survive relegation should it happen and Bolton will probably be a good bet to return quickly. Holden would probably be a feature player in that scenario and the 2014 World Cup will be right around the corner so that has to be a factor. That is better than possibly rotting on some EPL bench as a “depth ” player.

Now if Man. City or United or Real Madrid or any team like that comes calling then fine Holden should consider it. Otherwise, you go where they believe in you. Just reference other USMNT guys abroad if you don’t believe that.

47. Frank says:

The comment was in reply to ream being a replacement to boca which is why I brought up the national team. I didn’t even think he was that great with the red bulls. You can praise him all you want I’m just saying i have seen anything to show me he is even close to boca. I just personally feel he is poor out of the air and gets pushes around at times, which is not what I want out of my center back. He may turn out to be great but right now I don’t think he is…and I believe there are better options for the nats.

48. Mig22 says:

Who is the color man on Fox Soccer? He is so opinionated and he is ignoring the fact that Ivanovic gave a little extra kickout before the stamp. The red card was justified but at least note that it was a bit provoked.

49. Polo says:

I posted similar thoughts below, but I think I have an answer.

It’s a risky play, but it would appear di Matteo is resting Mata, Sturridge, Torres and Luiz for the Napoli match midweek.

50. Mig22 says:

it is a possibility.

51. predicto says:

25 minutes AV is dominating Fulham, especially in the midfield. Murphy making lots of passing mistakes. If it keeps on like this, Fulham is going to lose big.

52. cajun says:

If ever any more ammunition is needed for goal line video replay technology, need not to go any further than that “goal”. It was a good 2 diameters of the ball in goal. No excuses for misses like that by the ref crew.

53. Polo says:

Aston Villa has 10 shots already in the first 25 minutes.

54. ThaDeuce says:

Dempsey playing center mid now ever since Danny Murphy got hit in the eye by Steph Ireland. The midfield now looks like:
    Dembele-Dempsey
    —Murphy——

He is getting more touches, controlling the game. I like this move from Jol as they were getting utterly dominated in the 4-4-2, the 4-3-3 with more central control is working better.

55. ThaDeuce says:

AJ is on the foward left wing.

56. ACS says:

Is there a reason Fabian Johnson is not playing?

57. Mig22 says:

agreed. Sometimes things happen too fast for for a linesman or ref to spot. If a bit of tech helps, then do it.

58. Rob says:

Yeah the ‘John Harkes’ of English commentary…

59. Tom says:

He was injured in warmups.

60. GW says:

Do Opara and Cameron play in a top 5 league?

And have they proven that their technique holds up at at the highest level? Right now they are mediocre as international centerbacks. Ream showed a desire to improve himself by moving to a higher level. Have Opara and Cameron displayed similar desire?

If those two can increase the level and intensity of their club play then they may have a better shot at starting for the US because the US can’t develop them; that happens at the club level.

The one thing Opara and Cameron have a very serious deficit in is high level experience.

They have almost zero international experience of any note.

At the centerback position in a World Cup, guys with technical ability and athleticism take a back seat to guys who actually know how to play the position under severe duress. JK isn’t keeping Boca around for his technical abilitiy and his athleticism

61. GSScasual says:

ahhh.. we got to. I can deduce, that you do not “like” ream… it has nothing to do with his skill set regardless of how much you insist… take it easy, its overwith, he is not on the redbulls anymore, redbull hater. We are talking about a player who was not a first round draft pick, who almost got mvp, who peaked Arsen Wenger’s interest and was signed by Bolton after TWO seasons in the MLS… I dont know what game you are watching, but Ream was incredible today. If the other options were better than ream, why has there been no chatter or even looks by kilinsmann? you think its USSF politics or something? Or maybe, just maybe, your opinions and favoritism clouds your judgment….

62. predicto says:

Yeah, Dempsey the only cottager showing confidence and good passing. But the rest of them are lifeless. Gotta give AV credit for taking the game.

63. Polo says:

di Mateo taking Meireles off 13 minutes before half. Doesn’t appear to have a knock… he just got Ricardo Clarked.

64. Edwin in LA says:

Well that sucks….probably pulled something, lets hope it’s just a 2 week thing and not something that keeps him out too long…

Yeah I was wondering about this because he has no yellows on his stats that I could find????

65. Polo says:

That tells me that either di Mateo caved on his plan to rest the best players… or he legitimately thought Meireles over Mata was a good decision.

66. predicto says:

Dempsey right in front of goal just can’t reach great centered ball by Johnson. And first half ends …

67. Polo says:

I’ll be surprised if Stoke makes it through the second half without receiving at least another red card.

They are displaying even more rashness than usual.

68. Edwin in LA says:

Well ESPN’s Soccernet says in their Gamecast that he came off due to an injury???

I think as someone said above, Di Mateo wanted to rest some of it’s starters in order for them to be fresh against Napoli midway thru next week?

69. Mig22 says:

Actually, I think it’s a combination of things, Polo. He was resting Mata, I believe, but after Fuller got sent off, he wanted more offense in there. I AM surprised and a bit disappointed that Mikel didn’t come off since he has the early yellow card.

70. GW says:

Leo Messi is not a very good header of the ball. How then is it possible that some are saying he is the greatest player ever?

Probably because they are focused on what he can do not what he can’t do.

It is very simple really. Focus on any player at Ream’s alleged level and you will find they all make mistakes. But if they keep getting on the field then it is because they make fewer ones than their competition.

You are such a typical USMNT fan, a few bad mistakes and the guy should have his citizenship revoked, a good outing or a goal and then guy is then next Fabio Cannavaro.

Keep in mind that Bolton is a bad team and that Ream is an inexperienced player trying to learn his craft and doing a reasonable job.

Right now he seems to be doing the most important thing of all.

He isn’t worried about pleasing you.

Rather, he is worried about making Owen Coyle, his boss happy enough so that he keeps sending him out there. So far, so good.

71. Polo says:

That someone was me!

Did Soccernet say injury? I’ve got a very iffy feed going and using Sky Sports ScoreCentre which only said he was pulled.

Makes more sense if he picked up a knock.

72. Frank says:

I don’t think ream is national team quality, so if that means I don’t like Ream, then sure. I am sure there are a lot of people who think Tim Ream is great, I am just not one of them. I don’t base my opinion on what everyone else thinks, I base it on what I see. Ream was pretty good today, he certainly wasn’t incredible. It is very possible I don’t give him enough credit, but I also think people tend to give him too much credit at times.

BTW- I am a redbulls fan.

73. Edwin in LA says:

WOW Bayern must REALLY want to stop the bleeding with the recent losses in Bundesliga play, they have scored 7 goals now, it’s 7-0 and barely in the 69th minute…

74. Jamie Z. says:

Meanwhile, in the Bundesliga, Hoffenheim are getting annihilated, 7-0, and there are twenty minutes left for it to get worse.

75. Mig22 says:

ah, it makes it more comprehensible if he was injured. Otherwise, Mikel was the obvious choice to come off.

76. TomG says:

As I said, those are the 3 guys with the biggest UPSIDE. Nothing you said remotely began to contradict that. The WC is in 2 years and we would be best served if two or three of those guys DEVELOPED into international calibre starting CBs. You are talking about the present. I am discussing the future. Obviously first and foremost, a manager would have to have faith that his CBs can withstand the pace and pressure of WC play, but that is 2 years away and plenty of time for those guys to show their stuff. Ream is already in the PL. if he is successful there, it will be nearly impossible to keep him out of the WC. The other 2 are tougher calls, but Cameron has already earned a few call ups and a standout full season at CB for Houston could earn him a transfer to a big league. Opara is dripping with athleticism so a big team could also take a flyer on him after a good season or 2. If no one else steps up and we have to fall back on the experience of Boca then so be it but it is certainly not the best case scenario.

77. TomG says:

Gods point. I forgot to point out that he is weak inthe air or at least he has been beat on a number of set pieces in the past with NYRB, but there are techniques he can learn to compensate. There are lots of CBs that aren’t world beaters in the air but learn to use their bodies to prevent their mark from getting off the ground. If paired with a partner like Gooch, Goodson, Opara or Boca, it shouldn’t be an issue.

78. TomG says:

Oops damn iPad. Good point not Gods point. What effing software thinks Gods point is a more likely choice than good point?

79. TomG says:

Think of how the rest of us must feel! :)

80. predicto says:

Murphy out and Fulham looks much better. Dempsey seems to have moved up top with Probabniak and Fulham is dangerous.

81. Polo says:

Bayern is pissed.

82. Elmer says:

How many people were not shocked up the terrible non-goal/goal in the QPR/Bolton game. Will be tough for QPR to swallow if they drop due to the terrible call.

83. predicto says:

Yeah, bad call when you have slo-mo, but in real time, it’s hard to see. Another vote for goal line technology?

84. predicto says:

Schwarzer bad mistake, and Fulham down 0-1.

85. Chicago Josh says:

New coach for the bottom-dwellers in League 1. Perhaps Charlie Davies gets some more minutes?

86. GW says:

Well, let’s just hope Cameron and Opara have the desire to improve because they are going to have to do that on their own.

JK seems to have more connections and pull around the football world but he can only do so much and Opara and Cameron can only spend so much time with the USMNT. The USMNT can help them but the improvement we are talking about will come from the individual and at the club level.

87. Isaac says:

True. ;)

88. Brian S. says:

So if we don’t subscribe to MLS Directkick or get the NBC Sports channel, will we not be able to watch any MLS this year? I hope that’s not the case

89. Chicago Josh says:

…aaaaand the answer is no, at least for this game.

90. chris says:

Some games will be on NBC and ESPN or you could watch the games online

91. thedude says:

They have a free trial of the mls live online this weekend: live.mlssoccer.com. There will be games on ESPN and Galavision as well.

92. Gdorji says:

Holliet just scored 2 goals for Blackburn man if he ends up playing for canda. Their national team is Gonna be stacked if the other de Guzman ends up suiting up for them also. Dero probably has a good 2 years left for the canucks.

A front three out of those players. Oh man they well be a sleeper team in wcq.

93. Brian S. says:

Ok. Thank you. I needed to make sure I would be able to catch some games this season

94. hogatroge says:

You’re simply playing the contrarian for the heck of it. Just because I am a USMNT fan doesn’t mean my statement is instantly discredited. Not every EPL side is Man City or Chelsea. Some combination of Wigan, Blackburn, QPR, West Brom, etc. will stay up if Bolton is relegated.

I’m not advocating for him to leave even if Bolton’s relegated. It might be a great situation for you. For a player that won team MVP last year and had his squad in the top 10 consistently prior to injury, it’s pretty silly to say there’s no other EPL side that would take him, even if he came in off the bench. It’s just untrue. Remember… Bolton’s not even his first EPL stop.

It’s not like I’m saying something completely off the wall, like that Deuce needs to be starting for Man City or Ream will make the EPL Best XI. You should be less quick to jump down everyone’s throats. Honestly, it seems to me you are so worried about seeming like you have a USMNT bias that you basically undervalue any American player.

95. hogatroge says:

*might be a great situation for him, especially coming off an injury.

96. abc says:

Pay $50 for MLS Live and you can pretty much see them all, it’s worth it.

97. hogatroge says:

I think you misunderstood my point. Whitbread’s 3+ years older than Ream and has had many injuries. Whitbread’s legs are made of glass. Ream likely has a much longer shelf life, irrespective of how good either is at this point.

98. ThaDeuce says:

CAN’T WAIT!

99. wilyboy says:

It’s comforting that, when Deuce isn’t hitting the net in the EPL, Ream is getting an assist and Howard is shutting Tottenham down.

100. TomG says:

WC is still 2 years away, though. Their club situations could change drastically in that time. I don’t know what Cameron’s contract is like, but I’m sure Klinsi will push him to go to Europe if it is at all feasible. Omar got a Bundesliga shot so why can’t Cam? Opara is younger, less technical and a longer shot, sure, but you never know. Someone could watch him in the Olympics and fall in love with him and offer a big enough transfer fee to pry him loose.

101. Joamiq says:

I think this is probably the most realistic view.

102. TomG says:

True but he still should be on the radar ESP if he stays healthy and in form. Not sure he and Ream are actually competitors, though as their games are so different.

103. fischy says:

That game with Stoke set back the sport every one of those 5 years. What a snooze-fest.

104. fischy says:

Seriously — if you’re a fan, buy a package. I’m a DC United fan, so I have season tickets. If I didn’t have a team, I’d buy a TV package…for a lot less money — about what I’d pay to go to one game, with parking, food and drink, if I didn’t already have my tickets…

105. Roger says:

Obviously, that means Ricardo is the same type of caliber.

106. ben in el cajon says:

After watching a painfully error-riddled Bolton-QPR match and the dreary mess that was Chelsea-Stoke, I signed up for MLS DirectKick. Seriously, after those games, the first Canadian derby of the year and my beloved Galaxy’s first match will seem like gold.

107. Clayton says:

You should get your local market games. ESPN will cover a handful and I think some playoff games will probably be on NBC proper.

108. marco says:

It wasn’t USA fans promoting Holden. The English fans, club, and press all voted him the MVP, and Bolton dropped like a rock when he departed.
    Because of injury and long lay-off it’s still a risk, but not as much as a hundred other EPL buys in recent years.

109. Tom says:

Messi is a good header of the ball, actually. He scores that way also.

110. USAmr says:

Beasley with the goooool goooool gooooool!

111. Primoone says:

GOLAZO! Herc Gomez on fire….

112. predicto says:

So it’s beasley vs gomez !

113. USAmr says:

“2 Spaniards on the field, but 2 goals from the United States”
    Classic commentary!

114. Primoone says:

The historical reference is classic.

115. Primoone says:

Gomez with the Hockey assist!

116. Trent Hill says:

Herc Gomez gets a brace. 5 goals in 4 games.

Pleae, Klinsi, call him up.

117. CroCajun says:

Have to agree w/ Tom. Messi is a damn good header of the ball. Even at 5’6 the ball seems to find him.

118. CroCajun says:

The got a goal on a botched offsides call later on in the game. It all evened out.

119. CroCajun says:

They*

120. GW says:

Mr Hogatroge,

The scenarios you cite for Holden staying in the EPL should Bolton be relegated are possible but fall into the category of best case scenario.

Could they happen? Absolutely. But for them to happen, it would mandatory that the buyer believe in Holden the way US , Houston and Bolton fans as well as Owen Coyle, do.

The single biggest question mark about Holden is his propensity to get hurt at just the wrong time. The mugging that eventually ruined his chances at Sunderland , and the injuries courtesy of DeJong and Evans that cost him a regular spot with the USMNT, playing time in the World Cup and nearly half his games at Bolton, were put on him by others.

That does not alter the fact that he has missed a great deal of time, and seems to have a lot of bad luck on a regular basis. And at 27, he will most likely be on the downside of his career.

I’m sure Holden will be fine. Coyle and those who believe in him don’t care about these details but others do.

Logic dictates that he stay with those who have faith in him and will give him a chance to prove more realistic people like me wrong.

121. GW says:

Holden isn’t the only change from their successful team.

Bolton don’t have a lot of depth and in the competitive EPL it doesn’t take much to drop back into danger.

122. GW says:

You are correct.I just reviewed on old DVD of Barca. However he does do it so rarely one tends to forget.

Barca keep the ball mostly on the ground because they are better there than anyone.