MLS suspends, fines Clark for anti-gay remark

MLSDV060411162

Photo by Dani Vernon/ISIphotos.com

Major League Soccer has sent a strong message that should make players think twice before using controversial language in any forum, whether it be on the field or through social media.

The league suspended Houston Dynamo winger Colin Clark three games, fined him an undisclosed amount and mandated him to attend diversity and sensitivity training for using an anti-gay slur toward a Seattle Sounders ball boy during the clubs' match Friday night. Clark will miss the Dynamo's matches against the Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew and D.C. United, and he'll be eligible to return May 9 against the New York Red Bulls.

The incident occurred directly in front of an NBC Sports Network on-field microphone during the seventh minute of Houston's 2-0 loss to Seattle. The ball boy rolled the ball to Clark instead of tossing it to him, prompting the outburst.

"Major League Soccer will not tolerate this type of behavior from its players or staff at any time, under any circumstances," MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a league statement. "Colin Clark has expressed sincere remorse for his actions, and I believe that he will learn from this incident."

Clark, who issued an apology on his Twitter account following the match, issued another one in a Dynamo-issued statement.

"I am sorry about what happened during the Seattle match," Clark said. "I have personally apologized to the ball boy, and I want to take this chance to say I’m sorry to everyone that I’ve offended. I intend to never use those words again in any context. There is no excuse for them. What I said does not properly represent who I am or what I believe. I made a mistake that I truly regret. I accept the punishment that has been handed down by MLS, and I want to learn from this incident and move forward.”

The Dynamo also commented on the incident, stating, "Colin Clark made a regrettable and inexcusable mistake for which he is being disciplined. We accept and support the punishment that has been laid out by MLS and look forward to moving beyond it. We know that this incident is not a true representation of Colin’s character or beliefs and that he is remorseful for what happened. He has a strong record of being a community leader and expect that he will use this as a learning and teaching opportunity in the future.”

—————-

What do you think of the actions taken by MLS?

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer, MLS- Houston Dynamo. Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to MLS suspends, fines Clark for anti-gay remark

1. camjam says:

I’d heard people mention this incident, but was never sure what it was. I like the zero tolerance stance most are taking on this. It’s the only way that things will change.

I was one who grew up using “gay” as a term for “stupid”. I didn’t think about how offensive that was. But things like this show society that we cannot use insensetive language.

2. RK says:

Three games?!?!

3. The Imperative Voice says:

If Las Vegas is the lowest common denominator, and Hunter Thompson once said the only sins there were, “burning the locals, abusing the tourists, terrifying the help,” Clark has run afoul of these basic notions of decency that would plainly apply to hipper communes like Seattle, and must be punished.

He should have called the kid a bourgeois carnivore or something. Judging by the tenor of the suspension, he might have even got away calling him a lil’ %$^#er, as in, give it here…..

4. alka246 says:

Pretty ridiculous. No games, no fine.

Send him to the sensitivity training he will sleepwalk through. These players make nothing as it is.

5. chris says:

I agree with you, and I used to use the word gay as slang when I was younger too. It’s important to realize that Clark angrily shouted “f*king fa*ggot!” at this kid-completely unprovoked. Guy definitely has some anger management issues. link to youtube.com

6. Cam says:

I’m sure he didn’t mean it in that context but, as a gay guy, I think he deserves some kind of disciplinary action. These guys make more than I do, there’s no more room in the game for homophobia than racism.

7. John says:

…Malfoy or I’ll Knock you off your broom

8. Vinz Clortho says:

I’m sure he intended it to be a personal affront to as many people as possible…

Coulda’ been more sensitive, but c’mon, there’s a difference between being anti-gay and simply being insensitive by using 5th grade schoolyard insults…

Imagine the uproar had he used, MF or fat little b*astard…oh wait…

9. James says:

I understand the reasons we don’t want to be derogatory. This is fine, I agree.

I can’t help but feel this is all about the incident being caught on audio. How many times are these and other derogatory words used every day in the league by many, many people? In that sense it is very hypocritical. 75% of the league should suspend itself. As I said it is all because it was caught audio.

10. Michael Stypulkoski says:

You just made me do a lol. +1

11. Jamie Z. says:

Really? I mean, really? I guess we might as well pat him on the back while we’re at it.

12. JG13 says:

Would you feel the same way if he had used a racial slur instead?

13. Matt says:

I’m glad to see this. The penalty sends a strong message. Good job MLS.

14. Michael Stypulkoski says:

Harsh but appropriate, I think. Hopefully this nips it in the bud.

15. dcm says:

It was obviously more of a subconscious reaction that came out without much thought, but that is exactly the problem. People need to think about that and who they are offending by the dumb sh**!t that they say. The punishment in fair. I play with a guy that yells “AWWW SSSSHHHUGAR” every time he is frustrated. It’s ridiculous but I respect it. There are always kids around.

16. alka246 says:

Players don’t get suspended for violent conduct or reckless tackles as long in some cases.

He is the scapegoat for what the league wants marketing wise moving forward.

17. Don Pelayo says:

Only 3 games? I am happy that the league is punishing Clark, but he deserves much more. Idiot.

18. JD in FL says:

While we are on the topic of punishment, do we expect to hear anything from CONCACAF on the “El Salvador Biter”? By all accounts we had three people bitten – Mix, Adu, and Canada’s Haworth. It was reportedly Larin that bit Haworth, and I believe he is also the player that struck Boyd.

19. Macias says:

Totally appropriate. Good move by MLS. Next time that kid ought to throw the damn ball to the opposing team just like he does to his home team though.

20. Mig22 says:

We have lost the ability to assess context. If our laws can distinguish whether a potentially criminal act is, in fact a crime or a hate crime, then why can’t we manage, as a society, to make those same distinctions with the spoken word.

I detest racism and other forms of senseless hatred. This is not that. If we start classifying insensitivity as intolerance or hatred, then we risk being the boy who cried wolf.

21. euroman says:

agree

22. Marcus says:

It’s good to see that there’s one organization in the world of soccer that’s willing to put their money where their mouth is, whether it be language (this case), diving (Davies and others), or vicious tackles (Mullan and others).

I also applaud Clark for taking it like a man. He messed up, and is willing to deal with the consequences.

One has to think that all of these cases would turn out differently if they were in Europe, where discipline is an absolute joke.

23. Kevin says:

This was not an “anti-gay” remark. Period. He was not threatening any one because they are homosexual. Let’s call it what it is and not use labels.

24. wilyboy says:

He screamed at a kid for not giving him the ball the right way, and used a slur. Just because that he used something that 5th graders say, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be punished.

Other 5th grade insults: “You’re an orphan” and “I totally did your mom last night!”

Him screaming any of these things, give the idiot a time out, and put away the anti-PC rhetoric.

25. c(note) says:

But that term is clouded with negativity. Its not like he was using it to say “hey man, Nice roll.”

If I ask a gay man if he would be offended by this remark, most would say yes, i am assuming.

This kid wasn’t black but if he was called the n-word, does that mean clark is not a racist?

It was wrong. Period.

26. OmarVizquel says:

You couldn’t be more misguided.

27. Mig22 says:

BTW, I applaud all the thoughts posted up here and most of it is pretty responsible. I think this is a point worth debating and it’s important to not get crappy while doing the debating, otherwise it degenerates into pointlessness.

Let’s all pat ourselves on the back. ;)

28. KokoTheGorilla says:

huh, wow you sound like a coaster hipster dude who has no idea about what the rest of the country is? let me guess, west coast? east coast? well, a remark fitting of a Houston jock type would be something along the lines of “f-ing f*****” or “f-ing homersectual” in the most southern of goat roaper accents fitting with the southern way. yes, i know i misspelled homosexu&l, intentionally trying to replicate the southern accent.

29. RevsBear says:

+1, from another gay soccer fan & MLS season ticket holder.

30. Mike says:

I’ve always preferred Purple Hearted Knave, but bourgeois carnivore works well too.

31. go usa says:

Speaking of suspensions, how was it that the Timber’s player (can’t remember name) was not red carded for kicking Alston in the face and breaking his nose?

It seems completely ridiculous to red card moderate elbows to the head and give a yellow for full force face kicks well above shoulder height.

Yes, bicycle kicks are an exciting part of the game, but the attacker must assess if they have time and space to do it safely or risk ejection.

Other opinions?

32. Kishan Jeter says:

What makes this a big deal is the fact that he said it on National Television. NBC had just signed the contract with MLS to broadcast games to a wider audience and then “bam!” Clark says some stupid sh*t right next to the the field microphone. I saw a couple Seattle players yelling F-bombs out on the pitch, you can’t hear them but you can read their lips. I don’t care about the cursing, he just didn’t need to use the gay slur. The other thing is most of these players are young, still in their 20’s. Just because they play a professional sport on tv doesn’t make them smart or mature. I know Clark is a little older, in his late 20’s but I believe the same theory holds true.

33. KokoTheGorilla says:

footie, really? when i pass through the gay side of town, i always see through the windows that their TVs are tuned to reality tv or, if any sport is involved, its always greco roman wrestling. well, welcome to the footie fold my gay friend. as for the use of term, i’m actually more annoyed by the use of the word “gay” when the person, usually a young teenager, uses it for “weak” when wanting to describe a movie or a shirt or a show or etc., as in “that pass was gay”. i think there’s some kind of passive/aggressive related issue in always using it to describe something weak/corny/sappy.

34. Frank says:

What are you talking about? A red card in the MLS triggers an automatic one-game suspension. How does that compare to absolute jokes in Europe (EPL, Bundesliga)? Why don’t you ask Suarez, Jones or Guerrero if their 8-game suspensions were funny? While I don’t condone Clark’s language, the penalty seems very harsh and excessive. I absolutely agree with other comments that the remark was not “anti-gay”, merely stupid and uncalled for.

Also, MLS does need to address the ball kid issue. It is an area that could easily be improved.

35. Charles says:

Colin Clark handled it well after he made a fool out of himself….but three games is not enough. IF MLS wants it to end…end it.

36. XPK says:

I’m not entirely sure what your final paragraph is attempting to say.

Using the phrase Clark used is intolerant because it frames gayness as an insult, an undesireable trait, something to be mocked and ridiculed, something unacceptable, something wrong, something that will never share the civil rights of heterosexual couples in society.

Where exactly does the line for “insensitivity” end and the line for “intolerance and hatred” begin? You might try the definition of marriage in about 30 state constitutions in our United States.

In regards to your first paragraph, Florida law is having a real tough time assessing the context of the Trayvon Martin murder. We, as a country and a society, do not have these things all figured out.

37. seaoctopus says:

When your remarks are picked up by a field level mike on a nationwide ( granted cable ) broadcast…

38. Hush says:

Wow. That much discipline over the word “fa$&”… Crazy. They make $7.50 an hour as it is, isn’t that enough punishment already.

Too many sensitive people nowadays. Even saying “you r gay” is offensive…. I’m sorry, but that’s gay… No one is taking that special word from my vocabulary. I’ve been saying it to my friends & family for two full decades now and I can care less if someone starts crying over it. Of course I don’t use it in public, but still sucks for people who just play around with the word Fa$ & gay and are considered anti-gay. Smh.. Has nothing to do with bashing the gay community. And please fellows, don’t give me this crap about the gay word being similar to the very offensive “N” word because that’s just remedial.

39. Mike in Missouri says:

Well, the only way to really end it is to have the refs report every slang term used on the field of play in every game. This is just damage control by MLS because it happened to be caught on audio.

That being said, I think a one game retroactive red card suspension for abusive language and the accompanying automatic fine would have been fine.

40. Hush says:

In regards to Clark actions, he deserve some of the punishment for using towards an innocent kid. But clearly wasn’t anti-gay. Just a normal word used by typical Americans outa fun or frustrations. My argument above was in general of the word gay & f$&.

41. sciroccer says:

What would your employer do to you if you were to make comments of this nature? Three games is a vacation! If they wanted to make a statement, or set an example, then 10 games would have been something. If I did it at work, I would be unemloyed! Maybe they should look thru the whole Houston org.? It seems like lately all of the negative incidents seem to be there. It seems the players, not just the supporters groups don’t believe the rules apply to them.

42. Offended says:

??? What are talking about? Those “insensitive” comments stem from hate. You don’t make comments like that without some believe in them. Audio or not, he should be banned from the league- it’s always the guys in Houston, and Colorado. Why?

43. C(note) says:

Hush…you say it has nothing to do with bashing the gay community but you won’t use those words in public and I am assuming not to a gay person.

Think about that

44. Mig22 says:

Fair enough, here is what I hope is clarification. The word “f*****” has transformed in meaning over the course of four decades into a generic slur and really lost it’s immediate association with male homosexuality. I know it’s a fine line but I believe it’s important to understand how words are used when their meaning is changing. This is in contrast to racial slurs, espec. the N word, where there IS no alternative meaning (in English at least). Thus, it is a universally reviled word.

I realize the law is not perfect in this regard but it at least attempts to put actions (and even hate speech) into context. What I want is for sports leagues to frame their rules, suspensions, and mandated apologies with current meaning and context in mind. I applaud their motivation here but think they are tossing too wide a net.

It’s hard to treat the whole topic in this media but I hope we both understand where we’re coming from.

45. Mig22 says:

I don’t think they were motivated by hate at all. And I define insensitive as making comments that end up offending somebody even though the meaning of the word and the context in which they were uttered were clearly not intended the way they were taken. It’s a mistake, it should be noted, but let’s not call it homophobia.

46. d says:

Who’s to say the ball boy wouldn’t have tweeted after the game what Clark called him? It would have been all over the news anyway, with people taking sides on a he said/he said situation.

47. Graham says:

Fair punishment. 3 games, classes, and a fine.

48. Joamiq says:

Just because you like saying something doesn’t make it an OK thing to say.

Whatever else it is or isn’t, it’s insensitive. You’re obviously allowed to be a jerk if you want, but it doesn’t make you any less a jerk.

49. XPK says:

In the context of the Clark incident, the word was used as an insult directed at a person. The insult was not directed at a pile of burning sticks, or a cigarette. While you may personally feel that the word is a “generic slur”, there are plenty of GLBT people that are telling you plainly that it is not a “generic slur”. When directed at a person, the word Clark used means gay person and it is meant to be insulting.

“This is in contrast to racial slurs, espec. the N word, where there IS no alternative meaning (in English at least). Thus, it is a universally reviled word.”

I’m going to point out that the “N word” is not “universally reviled” in parts of the black community. Sometimes slang directed against a minority group has been used as a term of empowerment inside of that community. This does not mean that the word loses the original derogatory context when used by those outside of that community.

“I applaud their motivation here but think they are tossing too wide a net.”

I just don’t see punishing derogatory comments made by an employee in reference to someone’s sexual orientation “tossing too wide a net”. If I said what he said at work, I would be disciplined, up to and including being fired from my job. There are plenty of other phrases Clark could have used to express his displeasure that in no way made reference to sexual orientation.

50. Vinz Clortho says:

Point well made…

51. Vinz Clortho says:

Exactly…If you’re going to punish for one offensive word you should punish for all…

We fat people got bullied plenty simply because we were fat….

52. Seriously says:

So to make your point about someone being ignorant and insensitive you make more ignorant remarks…

I think I can skip “the rest of the country” if you are such a shining example of what that is like.

53. Mig22 says:

Well, I think we’ll have to disagree on the usage of the word and how we choose to handle words in this society. It’s cool, I think it’s a tough set of questions and I DO hear what you’re saying. I just think we have pushed the outcry over offensive speech a bit too far. I worry that what comes next are blasphemy laws for religious cartoons, etc. But THAT is a whole bigger topic.

Kind regards,

54. Chuck says:

3 games?, man that’s beyond gay.

55. JSA says:

I think a majority of us did, camjam.

I heard a quote regarding another sensitive issue, the Treyvon Martin murder case, and the journalist said on Meet the Press(paraphrasing), “We’re all born with the flaw of being prejudice. What makes us civilized is working on it everyday that alters the innate flaw.”

Similar to this story, it’s a large sign of immaturity, ignorance and intolerance. However, I’m not going to villainize Collin Clark for anything other than being extremely ignorant in the moment. He seemed contrite and sincere in his apology and hopefully it turns into a positive and helps him grow.

We all have our flaws but working on them daily is what separates us from being ignorant and being civilized.

56. adam says:

I stood next to a friend while the head coach of a major conference Division I Men’s Soccer team turned around at half and called him the exact same slur. “Look at the scoreboard, you…”

The NCAA doesn’t care, the MLS is only pretending it cares. If it’s not on tape, it didn’t happen. They did what they had to do to prevent a public backlash. Whatever.

57. hogatroge says:

It’s a fair punishment.

As a Dynamo fan, I am extremely disappointed in Clark for casting my team in a bad light. However, it’s easy for something like this to severely color my perception of someone I support on a weekly basis but really know little about.

That said, the gross overreaction by the public and media to the incident is simply a compounding of several smaller offenses:

1. Cursing
    2. Homophobic slur
    3. To a kid
    4. On national TV

Now, before the amateur lawyers, wanna-be ACLU lobbyists and holier-than-thous jump down my throat, I in no way support or condone the comments.

However, equating such a comment with the N-word or a racial slur is a highly flawed analogy. Throwing a racial slur in the heat of the moment likely belies deeply held attitudes toward individuals of different races.

So called “anti-gay” slurs, unfortunately have a much broader and generic negative connotation in our society than do racial epithets. While such terms are equally as unacceptable, it is safe to say that, for most people, using the term “gay” or “f****t” is not intended as a literal comment upon someone’s sexuality. Rather, it is more of a generic biting insult.

Individuals labeling Clark a “homophobe” and/or “bigoted scum” and/or “guilty of a hate crime” are severely misguided. Yes, he should be made an example of, but people are deluded if they think their own team’s cherished athletes are saints. Honestly, if he had simply called the ball boy a “f*****g piece of s**t,” on national TV, he would deserve an equal fine and suspension. Let anyone who has never said something regrettable in anger that they did not truly mean be the first to disagree.

Honestly, though, as a Dynamo fan, it will be pretty hard to cheer on Clark. I can understand a modicum of frustration toward the ball boy’s PERCEIVED attempt to delay Clark’s getting the ball. In this case, however, it’s not like the game was on the line and the ball boy did something conspicuous to run out the clock.

tl;dr – Shame on Clark; the fine and suspension are just right; People trying to paint Clark as the antichrist are seriously deluded

58. MiamiAl says:

3 games? man, that’s a limp wristed slap…

59. Kevin says:

Excessive! One game suspension and fine is about right. I am trying to grasp what is truely at play here. In reference to the Brian Mullan incident last year which garnered a nine game ban I think this fine makes no sense. What is MLS placing a greater value on, the protection of its players from physical harm which could end a career or its image.

60. Kevin_Amold says:

How much should he be suspended? 8 games? 15? the season? I’m being serious here. What is appropriate for uttering a homophobic slur during a game in your opinion?

61. Kevin_Amold says:

Ha, banned from the league…..

62. ted says:

Does that mean we can use hush as a synonym for stupid and weak? Dont be offended or anything i just thought it would be fun to use the same word that applies to you as also something that refers to being stupid or derisive…

63. Marcus says:

Sounds like someone is blissfully ignorant of the complete lack of serious consequences to the infinite monkey chants across Europe, the lack of any attempt to stomp out egregious diving, the lack of any action after vicious tackles such as Shorecross’s on Aaron Ramsey.

The suspensions of those 3 players is a step in the right direction, but IN NO WAY does it erase the inaction on a majority of issues by UEFA and it’s national federations.

64. Roger says:

I believe 3 games is harsh. I’m thinking 75 percent of the players in each game cus. If he went up to the mic then he should get punished.

65. The Imperative Voice says:

The notion that it is, on its face, a gay slur, but yet understood to be somehow less than that in practice, is very difficult to defend. Even among the young people tossing it around as supposed mere insult the bite is the sexual implication. At which point people are really splitting hairs saying the common usage is any more defensible.

I wholeheartedly disagree that he gets a similar punishment for merely cussing the kid on TV. We all know that this is essentially the culmination of a series of gay slur gaffes, in soccer and other sports, including Nguyen’s twitter-stuff, that was bound to result in the dull-witted final offender getting the book tossed at them. I think he still might have gotten a fine or suspension for “abusing the locals,” but he gets 3 games for doing precisely what he did.

As a Dynamo fan I’m getting a little cranky that they circle the wagons around Clark but productive people like Kamara get run out of town for getting cross-ways with Kinnear. The supposed concept was this is a values team and we can’t stay off the police blotter. In which case, get me Kamara back, get me Cunningham in orange, and quit with the moralizing. I’d rather win with better athletes and soccer players, who might run their mouth off, than live in this fantasy land where the team is supposedly full of great citizens who bring their lunchpails to games….and then it’s not quite true, it’s a myth for consumption.

66. Mike in Missouri says:

what about calling someone a redneck?

67. KokoTheGorilla says:

you know you really meant to say “lets all pat ourselves on the a&&”…you freaking f****t. that happy face die image is the ga^est sh%% i’ve ever seen. i really mean it …..(well, someone had to ruin the presumed line of decency in the prior string of comments) clarke should be made to attend sensitivity training, not in MLS hq, but at GLAAD offices.

68. MensreaJim says:

+1, very good.

This behavior can’t be accepted, but there’s no need to ruin a guy’s life over it. He is a working man and I’m sure this is going to really affect him financially.

69. Edwin in LA says:

I mean this in no disrespect but how exactly do you think Colin Clark might of intended to use this slur other than to express his anger towards the ball boy and to insult him?

Even if he truly “didn’t mean it” in an insulting way, the word is pretty clear. You can’t just absolve people of something because they “didn’t mean” to say it or to use it in a certain way. Words have meaning and things like this whether it’s meant as a direct insult and degrading comment or as an insensitive and ignorant attempt at the use of the word, the person who this is aimed at can and often feels the same offense, not to mention the people who it affects as this being a homophobic slur.

70. TommyOC says:

I completely agree. I got flack for saying as much, but as a gay man myself, I’m not in any way defending Clark’s response.

But I totally recognize that the ball kid was being a tool. He purposefully dropped the ball in front of Clark and walked away. I hope the league has quietly addressed that with Seattle’s front office.

When does having the honor of being a ball kid allow you the right to frustrate visiting players through your actions?

71. TommyOC says:

Last time I was called a f******, it was definitely directed at me out of hate. Because I was perceived as gay.

So unless something has changed in the last two months (yeah, I, a grown man, was called this word by a complete stranger two months ago), I think you’re deluding yourself on how far our society has come.

And if you polled people about when and how the word is still used, they would reply in the majority that it is used in a hateful context.

So I don’t know what you’re talking about, but the word is still very much a word of hate.

But here’s the big kicker: the word would NEVER have been in Clark’s vocabulary if the word was never a hate slur to begin with.

So, sorry, but I fail to see how your enlightened self can tell actual gay men that the word is “over with” and no longer hateful.

72. Be more Original says:

Collin tried that one already.. didn’t work

73. cajun says:

According to the Laws of the Game. Had the referee heard what Colin Clark said, it would have been a red card. Since he didn’t and it was there for a national TV audience to hear, this suspension is fair. Had a red card been issued he would have missed all but 7 minutes of the Seattle game and the next game maybe 2. Fair suspension. Next time don’t get caught on national TV!

74. Mig22 says:

Oh, I agree with you that he was expressing his anger and wanting to insult the ball boy. I just believe that the word is not solely or primarily a gay slur at this point.

If the league chooses to discipline Clark because he screamed an insult at the ball boy, so be it. But I believe that to call it a gay slur is misleading and actually dims awareness of real homophobia.

Again, I accept it’s a fine line.
    Cheers,

75. Mig22 says:

We’re beating this one to death a bit but I do want to say that I realize the word is still used as a gay slur. Of course. My point is that it is now, and has been for 4 decades, used as something entirely different as often or more often than as a gay slur.

I don’t think society is any better than it was, I don’t believe that real homophobia or bigotry is gone (hey I live in SC), but I do think this heightened caution around words and ignoring how they are used in context is misguided.

Be well,

76. XPK says:

Just because they redefined the word in an episode of South Park, does not mean that the word has been redifined as you claim.

Please go to wikipedia and look up the article on the word f*****, read all of the the information there, and then come back and try to explain to me how that word has lost meaning as an anti-gay slur in contemprorary society today.

77. XPK says:

“I believe that to call it a gay slur is misleading and actually dims awareness of real homophobia.”

You are entitled to your beliefs. Your beliefs on this subject are wrong. The word has it’s history in America as a gay slur, and is still used today as such.

There was a documentary on PBS’ American Experience about the Stonewall Uprising. You should watch that as it might give you a better understanding of the historical treatment of GLBT individuals in this country.

78. XPK says:

“ignoring how they are used in context is misguided”

Ignoring how they have been used in historical context is also misguided.

There is a reason ESPN took down headlines that read “Chink in the Armor” in reference to Jeremy Lin several months ago.

79. roberto says:

Glad to hear you like to sneak around gay people’s houses and see what they’re watching on TV.

80. roberto says:

How about you use your, apparently lacking, mental faculties to find a new ‘favorite’ and ‘special’ word.

What I’m trying to spell out for you is that you’re an idiot, by the way.

81. cannavaro says:

While your comment has zip to do with angry insults relating to gays, I have to remind you that intent is considered in fouls.

Anyone would be acclaimed for a stylish bicycle kick goal. Since you can’t legally score with your elbow, the elbowing is done not to affect the ball but rather the opposing player. Aiming a physical action at a player carries a higher penalty than a mishap while legally playing the ball. Capisce?

82. Detroit! says:

To me there are two issues: the slur, which is grotesque and warrants the punishment he got, but also the fact that this is a grown man cursing out a kid. He rolled you the ball instead of throwing it? Man up. The fact he threw the insult at all is worth disciplining; the content of the insult makes it that much worse.

83. Phalluster says:

The kid deserved it for being a punk. I like to bully my son when he misbehaves and it seems to have a positive effect overall.

84. Don C says:

I never used the gay word to imply stupid, I simply use ” broke back” and this issue is pretty broke back…

85. Northzax says:

To a twelve year old boy? This wasn’t professionals trash talking each other, it’s a pro berating a ball boy. Not cool.

86. Northzax says:

Think of this. Would Clarke have used this precise term towards a 12 year old girl? No? Then it’s not a generic insult.

87. Northzax says:

Again. Woukd he have used the same term towards a girl?