Bradley’s Egypt wins latest friendly

BradleyEgypt (Getty Images)

Egyptian soccer continues to be in recovery mode after the club season was cancelled in the aftermath of the fatal riots in Port Said, but the beat goes on for Bob Bradley and the Egyptian national team.

Egypt defeated Uganda 2-1 in Sudan on Thursday to remain unbeaten in the four games since the tragedy that took the lives of 74 people last month. The Pharaohs came from behind to get the victory, getting a goal from Ibrahim Salah and a late winner from Mohamed Aboutrika, a star player who came out of retirement after initially calling it quits on his career following the riots.

Egypt has now defeated a Kenyan U-23 side 5-0, Niger 1-0, played Congo to a scoreless draw and beaten Uganda in the last month, and Bradley's side faces Chad on Saturday in another friendly leading up to a series of World Cup qualifying and African Cup of Nations qualifying matches in June.

This entry was posted in International Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Bradley’s Egypt wins latest friendly

1. Al17 says:

Quietly handling the business with his team and not speaking every chance he gets about changing the program and blah,blahs then following up with BullSh..T!!

A certain & current US Nats coach could learn a few things from Bob. Let your actions & results speak.

;O)

Big Ups Bob and nothing but continued success.

2. jon says:

go bob go

3. PD says:

oh here we go…

I can just see the “how’s that hope & change working out for ya”
    or
    “miss me yet” bumper stickers now…

Don’t misunderstand me: I’m happy for Bob and was sorry to see him go, but he is gone, so let’s move on, shall we?

4. Mike in Missouri says:

His success overseas is every bit as important to US Soccer as a whole as any player and probably more so.

5. Polo says:

It appears you barely speak English, so I wouldn’t expect you to know that Bradley gives interviews to the Egyptian press.

And it’s expected that when a Coach is asked about the progress of the team and program… that he’ll speak on the progress of the team and program.

Baffles me to read comments like this. Just pure, unadulterated stupidity.

6. TomG says:

Very impressive, esp considering that Egypt’s domestic league is in shambles and almost all of his players come from that league.

7. Mig22 says:

I agree with both of you. It’s critical for a US coach to do well internationally AND let’s not worry about reminiscing about the good old days. Bob’s time here has passed and while I was a big fan of his, I don’t want him back as Nats coach.

Cheers!

8. Casey says:

^ +1

9. SilverRey says:

Is that a graph of Egypt’s success rate on the temple-vein of Bradley’s head?

10. BSU SC says:

How long before we see a US vs. Egypt friendly?

11. Tony in Quakeland says:

I don’t know how anyone else feels, but I’m proud of Bob Bradley

12. Al17 says:

Actually, I’m multi-lingual and English is my first language having been born in the USA et al.

What’s not expected nor do I personally care for is a coach/manager who spends a great deal of time on “self-promotion”. You knew exactly what I was referring to when I made my initial statement and in case you didn’t that’s what I was referring to.

Sorry to hear that you’re baffled by my comment. It was simple and clear. I’d reply to your unadulterated stupidity remark but you’d end up baffled again.

13. Lorenzo says:

LOL

14. Cairo says:

I keep wondering when we’ll see some Egyptian players coming over to play in MLS. There’s a lot of talent in Egypt (have been to a number of games in person), and given the struggles with their league in the midst of political turmoil, I would think some of these guys (and even some of their big stars) might be looking for more stable options.

Good for Bob Bradley, though.

15. Lorenzo says:

Hope he can qualify Egypt for the World Cup. I wouldn’t really want to be in his group, but hope for success for him.

16. JSA says:

your usage of “et al” doesn’t negate the ignorance of your first post.

17. JSA says:

I was thankful for Bradley’s time with Nats.

I was happy to see Bob Bradley go as a change was needed.

I was proud to read he’s doing well with the Egyptian national team.

It’s possible to be all three. Quit crying because he’s gone and hating on the current leadership, fellow Nats fans.

18. Casey says:

Yeah the actions of coughing up two goal leads, starting your son in every game, starting players that aren’t playing for their respective club, keeping players on the Starting XI that have clearly lost it. That sounds like the manager I want. Oh wait we had him for 4 years.

19. AdamFromMich says:

At first I was confused by what coach you were talking about, but when you mentioned “self-promotion” it all became clear. Although you should know that Mourinho has never been the coach of the US National team — so I guess you are a little confused.

20. biff says:

+1 A clear-cut case of “pure, unadulterated stupidity”

21. Polo says:

This.

22. Johnny Ramone says:

Bob is bringing the box midfield to Egypt. An entire nation will die of boredom.

It’s only a matter of time before he finds the Egyptian Rico Clark & plays him regardless of how poorly he’s performing.

23. beachbum says:

Fortunately, Bob Bradley has some cool accomplishments to balance the ledger in the face of the cynical. Clearly not only a bush of roses, but hardly just a bunch of thorns

-Earned First Ever International Final for the USA
    -Won WC qualifying group
    -Won WC Group Stage for first time in 60 whatever years
    -Won Final WC Group Stage Game for first time in US history, in the most dramatic of fashions possible

some crap but not all crap like your analysis attempts to portray, evidently

Represent Bob!!!

24. liberoo says:

Incredibly proud of Bob Bradley. Very happy to have Jurgen Klinnsmann as current coach. Wait! Is it allowed to hold both of those thoughts in one brain?

25. beachbum says:

Bravo

26. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Great guy and an X-O coach who tirelessly works at his craft.

27. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

While quietly qualifying for the World Cup.

28. Casey says:

I would check your facts there buddy. Yes you are right on three of them but Arena was the first one to win the group in qualifying. Glad no one facts checks.
    link to en.wikipedia.org

And yes I can use that since people seem to overlook the sinking ship that he was on. Losing their first group stage game in the Gold Cup EVER. Now that’s an accomplishment. Beating a team that by one goal that isn’t recognized by FIFA. Giving up early goals through qualification to the World Cup.

29. 2tone says:

Very well stated JSA.

30. 2tone says:

Proud of Bob. Happy to have Klinsmann as our new coach. It seems that both Bob and USSF needed a little change. People need to realise that most international coaches normally last a WC cycle. Depending on ho wwell the Nays do during this WC cycle wil determine exactly what happens with Klismann after WC 2014. Bob probably should not have been re-hired after the WC. But I am very proud of what he is doing in Egypt. Very proud how he is standing united with the Egyptian people. And I am incredibly excited to continue the process wiht Klinsmann.

31. beachbum says:

ReRead my post…you are, as usual, wrong

PLEASE check my facts :)))

Arena was not the first to win the WC Group stage in 60+ years, Bradley’s 2006 team was

I did NOT say Bradley’s team was FIRST to win their WC qualifying group, only that they did it as an accomplishment

and your inabilty to give credit where it is earned is self-indictment

32. Casey says:

Okay I mis-read you using one fact as two. We won the group based off luck even though we gave up early goals.
    Lost the Round of 16 based off putting the wrong starting XI out there. But oh wait all hail King Bradley.

33. Air Jordanz says:

English may be your strong suit, but it isn’t your strong suit.

34. fischy says:

You’re proud of Bob Bradley? How do you take pride in the accomplishments of someone you’ve never met?

Not that you’re alone in misusing the word “proud”.

35. fischy says:

It’s not possible to be #3.

You have no right (or ability) to take pride in what he’s accomplishing. You can be proud of something you’ve had a role in. Otherwise, if you had nothing to do with it, you can admire what someone else has done.

36. fischy says:

I wish all these people would stop being proud of what someone they’ve never met is doing. Also, wish they’d learn what “proud” means.

37. Mike says:

that’s an odd statement. why can you not be proud of someone you’ve never met? in general, we all share pride when our national team does well. as Bobby was the figurehead, certainly demonstrating pride towards him is not misdirected.

go Bob. Represent.

38. Dutch says:

Bob > Klinsy with hair

39. Polo says:

Fischy, Bob was representing us as Americans. We, as Americans, have a stake in our national team plays and acts.

We can be very proud of how our team represents us.

40. JSA says:

It is because I said it is. Run along, fish.

41. JSA says:

Ok “Dad”.

Why don’t you tell us the parameters and criteria for being “proud” sage internet troll.

Sifting through your daily posts on this board has fast become something I should be paid for. It’s tedious and lacking any entertainment value.

42. abc says:

lol

Good luck to him and Egypt, BB is a good coach and a class act, always has been.

43. abc says:

Or maybe he will lose 2-0 to Sudan and tie Central African Republic 3-3 to fail to advance out of the group stage on Egyptian soil like Caleb “4-3-3 is sooo exciting” Porter.