By FRANCO PANIZO
Bolton Wanderers climbed out of the relegation zone this weekend, and it can partially thank Tim Ream for that.
Playing in his fourth game for Bolton since joining the club in January, Ream helped the club beat Queens Park Rangers in a game with relegation implications for both sides. Ream set up the game's opening goal when he delivered a cross from the left flank that was headed into the back of the net. The assist was Ream's first with Bolton.
Another player who got an assist this weekend is Herculez Gomez. The man that truly defines scoring in bunches set up a goal and scored two as Santos Laguna defeated Puebla, 3-1. Gomez, whose first finish was a splendid volley from the right side of the penalty area, has now scored five goals in his last four games across all competitions. DaMarcus Beasley scored Puebla's lone goal following a mistake by one of American fans' favorite villain, Osvaldo Sanchez.
It was not all good news this weekend. Fabian Johnson picked up a thigh injury during TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's pregame warmups and was scratched from the starting lineup against Bayern Munich. With Joe Gyau not on the gameday roster, Danny Williams was the lone American to participate in that game, though he might wish he wasn't. Hoffenheim lost in embarassing fashion, falling 7-1.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, made 5 saves and received a yellow card in Everton's 1-0 win vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.
- Marcus Hahnemann did not dress for Everton.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 1-0 loss vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 4 saves in Tottenham Hotspur's 1-0 loss vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 1-0 win vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 2-1 win vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Tim Ream started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST for Bolton Wanderers.
- Zak Whitbread started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Norwich City's 1-1 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Sunday.
- Adam Henley did not dress in Blackburn Rovers' 2-0 win vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 1-1 draw vs. Coventry City on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 2-1 loss vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 3-1 win vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Daniel Potts did not dress in West Ham United's 1-1 draw vs. Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers did not dress in Leeds United's 2-0 win vs. Middlesbrough on Sunday. He is recovering from a concussion.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 4-1 win vs. Bury on Saturday.
- Anton Peterlin did not dress in Walsall's 0-0 draw vs. Hartlepool United on Saturday.
- Mike Grella started and played 90 minutes in Bury's 4-1 loss vs. Carlisle United on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu and Rangers did not play this weekend.
- Carlos Bocanegra and Rangers did not play this weekend.
- Alejandro Bedoya and Rangers did not play this weekend.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 4-0 win vs. Dundee United in the quarterfinals of the Scottish Cup on Sunday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Chievo Verona's 2-0 loss vs. Inter Milan on Friday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 3-0 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Schalke 04's 3-1 win vs. Hamburg SV on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 64 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 2-1 loss vs. Mainz on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson did not dress in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 7-1 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury picked up in pre-game warmups.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in Borussia Dortmund's 0-0 draw vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales dressed but did not play in Hertha Berlin's 1-0 loss vs. FC Cologne on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress Bayer Leverkusen's 3-2 loss vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- Andrew Wooten dressed but did not play in Kaiserslautern's 0-0 draw vs. VfB Stuttgart on Friday.
- Luis Robles and Karlsruher SC play St Pauli on Monday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 3-1 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Matt Taylor started and played 90 minutes in SC Paderborn 07's 0-0 draw vs. VfL Bochum on Friday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 3-2 loss vs. Sochaux on Saturday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 3-2 win vs. Evian Thonon Gaillard on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 65 minutes in AZ Alkmaar's 2-0 win vs. De Graafschap on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Sporting CP's 5-0 win vs. Guimaraes on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in Zenit St Petersburg's 1-1 draw vs. Kuban Krasnodar on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan and RSC Anderlecht did not play this weekend.
- Mikkel Diskerud and KAA Gent did not play this weekend.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-0 win vs. Odense BK on Saturday.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in Brondby IF's 0-0 draw vs. AGF Aarhus on Sunday.
- Chris Rolfe did not dress in Aalborg BK's 1-0 win vs. Lyngby on Sunday.
- Conor O'Brien did not dress in SonderjyskE's 2-0 loss vs. FC Copenhagen on Sunday.
- Brad Rusin did not dress in HB Koge's 1-0 win vs. Silkeborg IF on Sunday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 0-0 draw vs. San Luis on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 90 minutes, scored two GOALS and had an ASSIST in Santos Laguna's 3-1 win vs. Puebla on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started, played 78 minutes and scored a GOAL in Puebla's 3-1 loss vs. Santos Laguna on Saturday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress in Atlante's 0-0 draw vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 2-2 draw vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Saturday.
- Adrian Ruelas did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas' 2-2 draw vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started and played 90 minutes in San Luis' 0-0 draw vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 82 minutes in Club Tijuana's 1-1 draw vs. America on Friday.
- Joe Corona started and played 67 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza came off the bench and played 8 minutes for Club Tijuana.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Ream's assist? Is Gomez worth giving another shot on the U.S. men's national team? Surprised Williams and Hoffenheim lost by such a big margin?
Share your thoughts below.