Porter calls in 23 players for February camp

USMNTU2312181237664

photo by John Dorton/ISIphotos.com

U.S. Under-23 men's national team head coach Caleb Porter has called in a 23-man roster to take part in the February camp leading into a friendly with Mexico's U-23 side, and there are some new faces on the team.

Brek Shea, Juan Agudelo, Alfredo Morales and Ike Opara have been summoned for their first U-23 camp a little over a month before Olympic qualifying is set to take place. Team regulars like Bill Hamid, Zarek Valentin, Freddy Adu and Teal Bunbury have also been called into the 10-day camp that ends with a friendly against Mexico's U-23 team on Feb. 29 at FC Dallas Stadium.

"I think Mexico is going to be about as close to a qualifying atmosphere as we can possibly get," Porter said in a press release. "We're going to have, for the most part, our entire group together for the first time."

Here is the full roster:

Goalkeepers: Bill Hamid, Sean Johnson

Defenders: Greg Garza, Perry Kitchen, Alfredo Morales, Ike Opara, Kofi Sarkodie, Zarek Valentin, Jorge Villafana

Midfielders: Joe Corona, Mix Diskerud, Dilly Duka, Jared Jeffrey, Amobi Okugo, Michael Stephens

Forwards: Freddy Adu, Juan Agudelo, Terrence Boyd, Teal Bunbury, Joe Gyau, Jack McInerney, Brek Shea, Tony Taylor

Two of the more notable omissions from this roster are midfielder Sebastian Lletget and defender Gale Agbossoumonde. Both players are nursing injuries right now and hope to recover in time to be a part of the Olympic qualifying team next month. Sources confirmed to SBI that Agbossoumonde was originally called into this camp, but that he was not able to participate due to the injury that forced him to miss the one in January.

Josh Gatt is another eye-opening omission, but he just recovered from the injury picked up in the U.S. team's January camp and is still working his way back to full health.

A pair of defenders who return to the fold after not being called into a camp since the one in November are Greg Garza and Perry Kitchen.

In addition to playing Mexico's U-23 team, the U.S. team will hold scrimmages against FC Dallas of MLS and NASL's San Antonio Scorpions on Feb. 22 and 24, respectively.

——

What do you think of the roster? Whose omission/inclusion surprises you? Do you see this team beating Mexico's U-23 team?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's Olympic Team, U.S. Youth National Teams. Bookmark the permalink.

136 Responses to Porter calls in 23 players for February camp

1. bryan says:

not bad at all.

2. Doop says:

Sheanon Williams? The thought that perry kitchen or Valentin is a better back than Williams is laughable. Way to not show preference to your Akron kids Porter.

3. Freddie F. says:

8 forwards, awesome!

4. chris says:

I like all the choices exept Villafana and Opara havent really seen enough from them

5. Lance says:

Josh Gatt??

6. Jay says:

Looks like they are grouping people on where they would play in the 4-3-3. While Gyau, Shea and Adu would play in the forward 3, I wouldn’t call them true forwards.

7. Award says:

Not bad but I don’t like the exclusion of Andrew Wooten. Wooten is far better than McInerney. Safe to say that the USMNT will be the usual suspects against Italy. No surprises.

8. Taylor says:

this looks great. as good as mexico’s youth teams have been recently, we are pretty stacked with talent as well. never before have we had so many young guys in promising positions in Europe or starting and playing well in MLS. i really like this team

9. chris says:

The thing is Valentin is better and kitchen plays CB

10. Taylor says:

i may be wrong, but i think he is just coming back from injury

11. swoopy says:

Yeah, no Gatt … is there a club decision involved here?

12. PewPewBoom says:

Glad to see that Opara got called up. If he can finally stay healthy this season he will be a great presence in the back for San Jose.

13. Tyler says:

He is a key player for Molde so it’s understandable that they wouldn’t want to release him for Qualifying (which is what this group appears to be for). But as far as the actual tourney is concerned I would be EXTREMELY shocked if he wasn’t on the roster

14. James says:

Why no Williams?

15. rambo says:

Maybe a full team call up is on the way… or he just started training with his club team again so they want him to settle in before they call him for the qualifiers

16. The Imperative Voice says:

Ol’ Gabe “I’d rather be trafficking in Carolina” is noticeably omitted. May mean nothing but when you’re playing a big CONCACAF rival like Mexico leading into CONCACAF qualifying it’s an interesting omission.

17. Ryan says:

#Probably going to be the solid core of guys going to london

18. marco says:

Opara for Boss, good move. Still they’ll need overage defenders if they qualify. Four of the forwards listed are wingers, but there is plenty on attack, not as much defending. Caleb probably couldn’t get some young Germans released. Don’t understand Sheanon William’ omission.

19. blaise213 says:

Except for Andrew Wooten ???????

Maybe he will be included in the NATIONAL team roster. I was hoping the boyd and wooten would feature in the Italy game.

20. M says:

appears Lletget has recovered from his injury

21. Award says:

Kofi Sarkodie is a RB/LB and has shown better than Williams not only that Morales has been brought in as well. Kitchen has been brought in to man the CB spot eventhough Kitchen is better as a DCM.
    My starting 11 against Mexico 4-3-3.
    Hamid
    Morales, Opara, Valentin, Sarkodie
    ———-Okugo———–Diskerud
    —————Adu—————-
    Shea———-Boyd————Agudelo
    Subs: GK: Johnson, Defense: Kitchen, Villafana, Middies: Duka, Corona, FWDS: Taylor, Bunbury.

22. rambo says:

Valentin is playing CB for the U23s I thought and will back up RB/LB

23. blaise213 says:

How is that Ives got this roster up before US soccer did?

24. sjr says:

I’m excited about this kid Terrence Boyd. hope he starts to shine and is proud to wear the Red, White and Blue…because he has a bright future in it it.

25. AK says:

He just moved to a new club and hasn’t played a competitive match in awhile. It would have been more shocking had he been called up.

26. Darwin says:

Got my tickets…

27. blaise213 says:

award, what up bro! I got

—-Hamid—
    Morales –Opara –Valentine–Sarkodie
    Corona—-Diskerud—- Adu
    Taylor —- Boyd— Gayu

28. jlm says:

Shea to the left, Adu on the right, Duka in 10 spot. Agudelo on the bench. just my thoughts

29. Pepe says:

I know they’re pretty strong at forward, but I’m a bit surprised that Will Bruin got passed over.

30. BetaMale says:

Yea where is Lletget in this roster?

31. Yu Know says:

Well, I’d say based on last season in MLS Sheanon Williams is much better than any of the right back options but obviously he didnt show his worth in camp & others showed better or he has a slight knock or would rather prepare for the MLS season with Philly.

32. rambo says:

Who would you have him get called in over? They already have Agudelo, Bunbury, and Altidore who can play with the U23s who already play with the full USMNT. That leaves 1 other spot available and that is not going to Bruin

33. Felix says:

this is a very good side – on paper. It seems light on midfielders and heavy on forwards though.

34. rambo says:

Just read he was not released for this camp

35. rambo says:

just saw he was not released for this club

36. Eric says:

I’m sorry, I don’t get why everyone is so excited over Wooten. He has yet to make an impact at the senior club level so why does he deserve a call-up for the senior national team side?

37. Jim in Atlanta says:

he is not good enough imo

38. Answer says:

Amen to that. Not deserving in any way, shape or form for a look on the full USMNT.

39. Answer says:

I love the Union, too, but both Valentin and Kitchen are far better players than Williams.

40. Eric says:

Not really. They play a 4-3-3 formation so they don’t need a huge amount of midfielders. Besides, Perry Kitchen’s natural position is holding midfield so I’m guessing Porter sees him as a possibility to step up into that area as well.

41. rambo says:

Just saw on twitter from Sciaretta that he is still injured

42. The Imperative Voice says:

“Moved to a new club?” It’s not like we’re bedding him into Man City on a new deal, he’s been loaned to the Carolina Railhawks, who I believe agreed in writing to release him as need be.

Also, considering this is February, and it’s all preseason, he’s not getting any more games staying with Carolina than with the US. Arguably he’d get more effective practice against the U23s than banging heads with Jason Garey in Carolina….please.

43. Andy says:

I’m not…and I’m a Dynamo fan if that says anything.

44. The Imperative Voice says:

The more interesting “Dynamo” omit to me is Ibeagha, who has blown off a homegrown deal for years while returning to Duke to pursue US youth play. If he concludes this whole succession of U-20 and U-23 campaigns by being cut from the Olympic roster, then his strategy has arguably only cost him money. Gabe A.-Lite.

Bruin is an interesting bit of promise but looking at the callups the only preference I’d complain about is Adu over Bruin. And Freddy’s got a little bit more of an international CV to fall back on. Bruin has basically one big night against DC to hold up.

45. chris says:

I dont get why you think this kid is special. He isnt good enough for the Olympic team and wouldnt start in MLS. There is no shame in going to a team where he knows he will get playing time while waiting out his traffic contract. Get your head out of your @ss

46. Drew11 says:

Boyd or Bruin? Tough choice. LOL.

47. blaise213 says:

dude has like 12 goals in 19 games for kaiserslautern II. He’s waiting to be called up to the first team.

Its a friendly so who gives a #$%^

48. wichin says:

Good choices…now they won’t be playing a full strength Mexico side as most of the U-23 got called to the Senior Mexico game against Columbia (chicharito, los dos santos, vela etc) but it will help our guys gel.

hamid
    opara, kitchen, valentin, morales
    adu, mixx, shea
    gyau, boyd, agudelo

glad it is being shown on Univision

49. The Imperative Voice says:

I didn’t say he was; I thought I was responding to someone who implicitly did, pointing out that there’s no way you blow off a U23 callup at this stage for Carolina. I think he just got left out because he’s probably not ready for prime time.

I don’t know if I believe that no MLS team would start him. I think the deal is more that Traffic probably wanted sign-up money and/or a higher salary than the market would bear, and also that while x team might start Gabe in a draft he can’t control y drafting him instead with intent to bring him along slower.

Except, I have complete disbelief that playing minor league soccer will actually prepare him to compete any better than a MLS bench. He will be playing with Jason Garey and that type of player, against people who generally could not make a MLS roster. I don’t see how that’s possibly equivalent to even being a reserve playing against the quality of players who can make a MLS roster.

I think he wants to control his career at the arguable detriment of actually getting a good, available foothold to start it.

50. chris says:

You cant play three Attacking Mids that dont play defense. Shea should be on the left wing, with Okugo as a deep lying CDM, Corona and Duka in the middle

51. bryan says:

they had no chance of playing against Italy dude. but yeah, he wouldn’t have been a bad call up for the u-23s. there are a few players that could have got called up. only so many spots.

52. Poo says:

Scoring goals in the german 3rd or 4th division should not be a ticket to the senior national team. Maybe he should be called into this type of camp though.

The purpose of the friendly is for prepping for qualifying this summer…do you want to rely on wooten then?

53. Glad to see Oprara in the mix.

54. Eric says:

It may be a friendly but it’s still a friendly against high quality opposition which would be better used getting our first team time together rather than bringing in a kid who has yet to appear for the first team (Kaiserslautern II is nice, but let’s see him produce with the senior team).

I’m not saying he’d be a bad choice for the U23s but why in the world do we always call for kids who haven’t even made first team appearances for their clubs to get Senior National Team looks? Who would you exclude for him? Wondolowski? A guy who has worked his butt off every day and deserves the look even though his ceiling may not be as high because he’s older?

Let Wooten develop. There’s no need to rush him into the senior National team just because we think he *might* eventually be a good player.

55. Paddy Megroyn says:

What satellite package allows you to see Kaiserslautern II matches so you can judge whether Wooten is better than McInerney?

56. pd says:

I will be VERY interested to see how sales for this friendly go over… I think it will be as exciting a matchup as Senior side v. Italy. Will this match be televised?

57. jon says:

go freddy!!!

58. louis z says:

i also think he will.

59. louis z says:

maybe. I think Okugo has the position locked.

60. rambo says:

Boss was originally called in for this camp, but was left out due to injury

61. rambo says:

It would seem that way for some people. Not that I have ever watched Boyd play, but from all the reports back from camp it seems that he has made a nice impression. Im pretty sure there would be a lot of players in front of Bruin

62. downintexas says:

You don’t need proof that he is better than any player. All you need is how many times his name gets thrown around in a soccer blog comments section. Thats the only proof you need

63. chris says:

Tony Taylor and Bryan Arguez played for Miami FC and one has made the team and the other is in MLS. Sheanon Williams also played lower divisions and hes doing just fine. Its a good place to rebound

64. fdas says:

He didn’t get a call up cause he is hurt

65. malkin says:

“the US team will hold a scrimmage against FC Dallas”

I know Brek Shea is known for putting in a lot of minutes, but I’m curious to see how he’s gonna pull this one off.

66. Victor says:

So I’m guessing we for sure will not be getting Fabian Hurzeler then? I haven’t heard anything about him and if he was going to be switching officially to the US.

67. Paddy Megroyn says:

Well played,s ire.

68. malkin says:

Perhaps Brek will sit this one out for FC Dallas, and FC Dallas will call in Timmy Chandler on loan just for the scrimmage?

69. B says:

Does any one know if this game is going to be on TV or viewable online?

70. RLW2020 says:

nice.

71. Pete says:

Mexico is bringing a team of players who have already been together for a week. They all have been playing in 1st Division competitive games and their coach is known for creating spirited teams and making it fun for the players. We should get an idea of how good they are after they play Senegal on Friday 17th in San Francisco. We should press their possession game and not let their #10 Fabian get into the game.

72. WK says:

I am too since i think the experience will be good for him, and who knows- he might even get called in for some of the qualifiers too.

i wonder what this will do to his chances of making the opening day starting 11 though, since he’s said that has been his number one goal

73. wildchild says:

Jose Coroooooona!

74. abc says:

I am NOT happy with the Akron bias here…

Teal Bunbury is awful right now at all but one or two things, he needs to go learn how to play soccer for the next year or two before he’s called into the US team at any level. I’d take Andrew Wooten any day. If Bunbury makes the Olympic roster, I will be extremely pi$$ed off, as that means 1-2 of Altidore, Agudelo, Boyd, and Wooten would not make it, and they are all preferable to Bumbury.

Sheanon Williams should be the backup RB (to Timmy Chandler) on the Olympic team, which means he should be the starting RB at this camp. People are saying Boyd and Wooten have not proven anything in Germany, well what has Kofi Sarkodie done in MLS?

Kitchen and Valentin, these guys have potential of course, but Kitchen should be a defensive midfielder, that’s his natural position. I know we lack options at CB but these two better not be playing meaningful games there or we are in trouble.

Will Caleb Porter select the best players or just his Akron buddies? If he does the latter and this team underachieves, it should jeopardize his future career with US soccer.

75. Award says:

That boat sailed the first U-23 camp. Hurzeler accepted a Germany U-19 call-up over the U.S. U-23 call-up back in November. So yes Hurzeler decided to stay with ze Germans.

76. RLW2020 says:

So many Quality forwards and attacking midfielders.. Something to be excited about. These are the guys who will be taking Landon and Demps’ spots years from now.

77. abc says:

What does Hurzeler have to do with this thread?
    We may or may not get him, but either way he’s not playing for either Olympic team in 2012. He is a U-20 not a U-23.

78. RLW2020 says:

Bunbury, Sarkodie could be in the qualifying roster but defiantly not going to London.. Kitchen and Valentin maybe..

79. pd says:

He will be on the senior side Italy roster.

80. The Imperative Voice says:

But Taylor played for Miami in 09 and since then has been playing in Portugal. Arguez is a closer call but is Montreal property now.

Gabe A. has meandered around so aimlessly that I resist the metaphor of rebound, because for that to be the case he has to have been up to have descended then rebounded. I don’t see where the high point was.

I thought Gabe A. was hurt during the last camp, which was a few weeks ago.

81. RLW2020 says:

+1,

this team needs CB’s to step up. Ike could be that player, hopefully he is healthy enough for it.

82. abc says:

Will Bruin is like #9 in our U-23 forward depth chart: Altidore, Agudelo, Boyd, Wooten, Taylor, Bunbury, McInerney, Salgado…

83. pd says:

“a bit early on the Akron-USA conspiracy but I agree on some of this.. some players getting the familiarity bump.”

wouldn’t the “familiarity bump” be an incentive to NOT call these guys in order to give other folks a look?

not pressing the issue or ganging up, just curious…

84. Juan says:

Guess that pretty much says where Brek and Teal are going this summer and I think its the right decision.

Both showed that theyre just not ready in the camp cupcake friendlies

85. Eric says:

Likely, I’m just pointing out that Perry is likely providing depth and therefore providing another midfield option.

86. Eurosnob says:

I agree. I also think that this means that Shea, Agudelo and Hamid are not going with the first team to Italy.

87. I JIK I RED BULLZ says:

The US U23 Team should of called up Adam Henley and Daniel Potts just to see if they would be interested in playing. Surprise they didn’t call them even though Potts was just called for the England’s U18 team and Henley is under the Wales youth system. I hope in the near future they switch sides to the US!

88. Air Jordanz says:

Remember…were this the final roster, 5 would be cut before London. Add in at least one overage player, and maybe only 17 remain.

Boyd, Taylor and Agudelo have to be ahead of Bunbury.

I have a feeling Wooten is going to be joining the 1st team @ Kaiserslautern soon, so that might have factored in here.

89. Union says:

0 chance of Potts coming in for us, unfortunately. He has very little connection to America. Henley seems like an easier guy to cpa.

As for the roster, I like it a lot. The two guys I would have liked to see on the roster have been left off due to injuries (Lletget and Gatt). I’m a big fan of Morales. People keep saying he was in bad form at Hertha, that isn’t entirely true. He had one bad game. He went the full 115 against Borussia M├â┬Ânchengladbach and played very well IMO. He has tremendous ball skills, just needs to put his whole game together in a more coherent way. I also like that Shea is playing with the U-23s. I think this is a real opportunity for him to shine.

90. louis z says:

I’m with you on that. Having a versatile player like Perry is like having two players in one specially in an 18 player roster.

91. Louis Z says:

so you are saying because its not on tv you don’t give credit to a players performance. if you were to look at the camp reports, german team stories etc. you will see that Wooten is in almost ready to break in to a BL1 roster which is a lot more than can be said for some other U23 forwards. My guess is only 2 CB where going to make this roster and he was the man out, Boyd is a top prospect and Teal has played for Porter before.

92. THomas says:

Guess the pool isn’t shallow on forwards. Playing a 4-3-3 like Porter likes to play this is a good thing. Plus a lot of those forwards could drop to midfield.

First time I’ve seen all these names together and if you throw in Chandler, Altidore, and maybe a few others this is a pretty stacked team.

Certainly has depth as there’s not much of a drop off from starters to back-ups. And some experience too which is rare for Olympic Qualifying. Add three overage guys to this and medaling is certainly a long shot, but definately possible.

93. Chuck says:

Anyone know if Diego Chavarri (Sporting Cristal, born in NY) has been considered? or he is not good enough?

94. ostertag says:

not even close man, sheanon played as well as any rb in the league last season.. where as valentin and kitchen were average at best

95. Eugene says:

Isn’t Agudelo injured or just recovering from injury?

96. I completely disagree.

Williams is good and developing but both Zarek Valentin and Perry Kitchen are younger, have had better youth and college careers and show much more promise than Williams who is, essentially, a one-trick pony. His future as international is very much in question while both Valentin and Kitchen will be mainstays within the next 2-3 yars. Probably soon after the 2014 World Cup.

97. I don’t believe Okugo has ANYTHING locked.

98. Elliot says:

Surprised to see Shea, this means he wont be with the senior squad, right?

99. Matt says:

Opara would start for SJ if he didn’t have recurring foot injuries. Currently he is starting CB in pre-season. He also has a knack for scoring off of set pieces, so you get goal production out of him.

100. ACS says:

Interesting to see where Danny Williams, Chandler, etc., etc. is going to fit in. If we don’t get Henley, having Chandler at LB and Morales at RB with Williams as the holding midfielder would be interesting, middle of defense is going to have some overage players

101. I JIK I RED BULLZ says:

GK: Hamid or Johnson
    RB: Morales
    RCB: Opara
    LCB: Kitchen
    LB: Garza
    RM: Adu
    RCM: Corona
    LCM: Diskerud
    LM: Shea
    RS: Bunbury
    LS: Agudelo

102. b says:

Some of them are wingers (Shea, Gyau, etc.)

103. Retro says:

What has Bunbury done to deserve you luv? Stole your girl? Messsed with your wife? Give it a rest! The kid was the in the top 5 in the mls for goals per minute with at least 1000 minutes of playing time. He has the most goals in a 2 year span from the 2010 superdraft. Find me another mls player that has scored 18 goals in all competition in his 1st 2 years after the superdraft/academy. Jk has him in the top 4 in his pool. Yet you post your nonsense concerning his game. You keep pimping the Euro players. Do you have any idea what the 3rd and 4th division is in Germany? Most of the competition can’t wait to go to the pubs after a game. Yes, it’s important that guys like Boyd and Wooten are kept on the radar, but they haven’t done s*** on any credible level. So stop the hate and appreciate!

104. marco says:

Good observation, certainly if Sarkodie and Bunbury don’t do well here, their continued call-ups will look highly suspicious, (Bradleyesq.

105. Andy says:

Yup always worth a try

106. cajun says:

Anyone care to venture a guess who the over age players would be for the Olympics? My guess.
    Jay DeMerit
    Edson Buddle

107. louis z says:

Not sure. Diego was injured for a while, and Peru has passed on him so far. Diego although fast is of jose torres size, not the type of player that can handle euro guys.

108. louis z says:

boy you are really venturing.

109. CroCajun says:

blaise213 is the SBI owl. Under every USMNT post he cries “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOten” “WOOOOOOOOOOten”.

Does he really deserve a call up over any of the guys selected?

110. CroCajun says:

Are Jozy and Chandler expected to play for the Olympic team?

111. CroCajun says:

No, he’s saying that we haven’t seen the guy play and we should probably trust the U-23 coaches who have seen him play and get paid to judge talent for a living.

112. cajun says:

LOL, Brian McBride and John O’Brien would be really venturing. ;^)

113. Brian says:

Odd choices…if they do bring any overage players I would guess they would be centerbacks.

114. Eric says:

Most reports out of camp say he’s been one of the best players at his position thus far. May not be a lock but he’s been putting in strong showings apparently.

115. marco says:

Why would be younger be preferred on an U-23 Olympic camp? It’s a one time deal, an Olympic medal, not an academy.

I don’t see Sarkodie, Valentin, or Kitchen as better than Williams based on last years performances. I don’t know why Williams wasn’t selected?

116. marco says:

Based on last year I don’t see him making the final 18 if they qualify.

117. marco says:

Duka plays in mf.

118. Juan says:

Boy does McBride going to the last Olympics bring back bad memories. He wanted to be in an Olympics and he went. It was like playing a man down the whole tournament

119. b says:

Yikes.

I’d say 3 out of:
    Geoff Cameron
    Fabian Johnson
    Bradley
    Donovan
    Dempsey
    Tim Ream
    George John

Given how weak we are at CB I could see us taking two overage guys back there.
    DeMerit is too injury prone to make an 18 man tournament roster. And when two of our full national team forwards are young enough to make the U-23 roster why would we waste a precious overage spot on Buddle? Think McFly.

120. Four Cents says:

As far as all the criticism about the roster selection- I personally think they are in good hands with Porter. I’m glad to see Freddy in the mix- hopefully he can be a big part of the creative spark.. I’m excited about both these games… Go USA!

121. b says:

With Donovan recently expressing interest hopefully that means we’re taking three top guys and not players whose international careers are over (see Jay DeMerit above).

122. Four Cents says:

————-Hamid————–
    Morales–Opara–Valentine–Garza
    ——Corona—–Diskerud——-
    ————-Adu————–
    Agudelo—-McInerey—-Shea

Been a fan of McInerney since his U-17 days. The kid shows up for international games just like Freddy does, but not so much for their clubs.. Play’em!

123. louis z says:

perhaps because Morales was selected?

124. louis z says:

why would you base it on information that is a year old? I would be very surprise if Okugo is not in the final 18.

125. Dennis says:

Proly more Akron players than is really called for, but every coach has some players he likes and does not see others as being particularly stronger, even if he thinks others may be slightly better at some things, the understanding of just what a particular player can and cannot do is valuable in building a team.

Even though this team will probably look a lot different in London with Altidore, Chandler and 3 senior players, Porter does need to shape the kind of team he wants now both for qualifying and for London.

126. cajun says:

Sorry b, with WC qualifiers looming this summer, JK is not gonna let anyone on your list go to the Olympics and maybe even Brek Shea on the U-23′s. Slap in the head McFly…

127. Juan from L.A. says:

+2…calling Wooten to the USMNT just validates how poor we are in the rankings…

128. Juan from L.A. says:

Just cause someone throws names out there, doesn’t mean they should get called up…have you ever seen the peruvian league? If you have you would know its ‘quality’ is subpar and this kid has to be above and beyond to be even considered…

129. The point is that those guys are more talented NOW and are younger with more upside. Kitchen and Valentin are clearly better than Williams.

130. Chef says:

4-3-3 Starting Line-up
    GK: Hamid (But it doesn’t matter, both are amazing)
    DEF: RB Morales, CB Opara, CB Valentin, LB Garza
    MID: DCM Okugo, CM Diskerud, ACM Adu
    FWD: RW: Gyau, CF Boyd, LW Shea

Subs
    GK: Johnson
    DEF:Kitchen, Sarkodie
    MID:Corona, Jeffrey
    FWD:Agudelo, Taylor

131. GW says:

Will Caleb Porter select the best players or just his Akron buddies?”

Who is to say who are “the best players”?

You?

Should the USSF take a poll and select the Under 23 team based on the results?

Do you think the Under 23′s should be run like a fantasy league operation?

National teams don’t get a lot of practice time. And from what I’ve seen this Under 23 squad has also had a manager who hasn’t been around all that much.

Calling in large numbers of players from one or two clubs has been SOP for national teams for many years. Part of that was because there have always been dominant clubs with the majority of the good players but another reason was that it’s a good way to make sure everyone is on the same page. Calling up many players from one club is a quick way to expedite chemistry and teamwork.

In the 70′s the great German teams had a heavy dose of Bayern and BMG players. The Dutch had an awful lot of Ajax and Feyenoord players. More recently, Spain goes heavy with Barca players along with the Real Madrid bunch. I never saw anyone accuse those managers of calling up their buddies for the sake of friendship.

In my experience most professional managers have favorites because the more players they have that they do not worry about, the more time they have to work on the players they do worry about.

Porter has stated many times that the Under 23′s will play a variation of the 4-3-3 Porter had at Akron.

So if any of his old Akron players are good enough he would be an idiot if he did not use them.

It’s a team game and I would pick player B, who is a little less talented than player A, if player B understood how to play in the system better than player A.

Lippi, manager of the 2006 World Cup champions Italy, always said, “It’s not the eleven best players , it’s the eleven who play together the best”.

132. John Z says:

Younger doesn’t mean anything, more likely younger means inexperience. Plus Sheanon Williams has experience on the senior side. Up to this point Williams has shown more in his first full season with the union than Kitchen and Valentin. Should I mention Williams throw in is more dangerous than Kitchen and Valentin. Also If you didn’t notice that William’s Union made the playoffs and neither Chivas or Dc made the playoffs. Come on your point is invalid for why williams doenst make the playoffs. But then again you are the guy that can’t tell the difference between Jozy Altidore and Juan Agedelo…

133. John Z says:

When I mean expierence on the senior side I mean first team football with the union