Klinsmann calls in 21 players for Italy friendly

ISICB061509119

photo by Chris Brunskill/ISIphotos.com

By FRANCO PANIZO

Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra and Tim Howard headline a 21-man roster called in by U.S. men's national team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann for a friendly against Italy.

A heavily European-based roster was called in for the match on Feb. 29 in Genoa, with only five players plying their trade elsewhere. The match and preceeding camp will mark the first time in 2012 that Klinsmann will have his top players together, even if some are currently training with the U.S. Under-23 team.

"We're looking forward to having all the European-based players back in the roster and picking up where we left off with them from the Slovenia game," Klinsmann told USsoccer.com. "I'm excited about getting everybody together and challenging a world-class team like former World Cup winner Italy on their home soil. I think we have put a very competitive roster together. This roster was co-developed with the U-23 team because we wanted them to have a great preparation game before they go into Olympic Qualifying in March. Our roster is highly competitive and ready to give Italy a real fight."

Here is the roster:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Timmy Chandler (Nurnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

Midfielders: Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

This camp marks the first time that Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey will represent the U.S. team under Klinsmann and their first time together since last summer's Gold Cup. Both players had missed previous camps for various reasons, including Donovan wanting to focus on MLS Cup back in November.

Donovan, Edson Buddle, Geoff Cameron and Nick Rimando are the four MLS players who made this roster. Jose Torres, who has missed the last few camps with an injury, is the only player on this squad who is plying his trade in Mexico.

Arguably the biggest surprise on this roster is Terrance Boyd. The 21-year-old striker was scheduled to join the U.S. U-23 team for its current camp in Texas, but those plans changed at the last minute.

Sources confirmed to SBI that Boyd packed his bags on Wednesday evening and was set to fly to Texas on Thursday morning before Klinsmann called to inform him that he would be flying to Genoa on Sunday instead.

Donovan, Dempsey, Buddle and Jozy Altidore are the other forwards on this roster.

"I'm curious to see Jozy Altidore and Edson Buddle," said Klinsmann. "Obviously seeing Jozy lose his starting spot worries us, and Edson is now back in MLS after leaving the Second Bundesliga, so there are a lot of interesting things to observe as we go into camp for these few days."

Regulars of Klinsmann's team who were not called in are Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury, Brek Shea and Oguchi Onyewu. The former three are currently in their first U-23 camp and the latter just suffered a knee injury that will keep him sidelined for two months, though Klinsmann is optimistic Onyewu will return for the start of World Cup qualifying in June.

"Obviously losing Gooch was a bummer, but we expect that he’ll be back and ready to go this summer," said Klinsmann.

Some of the more notable players missing from this camp are Sacha Kljestan, Benny Feilhaber and DaMarcus Beasley. Kljestan has been on a run of fine form with Anderlecht, starting in league matches and Europa League games. Beasley, too, has been playing well as of late for his club, Puebla.

Italy's roster is expected to be announced on Sunday.

—–

What do you think of the roster? Who are you surprised to see/not see on this team? Do you think this team can beat Italy?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

272 Responses to Klinsmann calls in 21 players for Italy friendly

1. The Dude says:

Best looking squad under Klinsmann.

2. rambo says:

People are going to complain about Klejstan not making it

3. Jim says:

What did Kljestan do to piss him off?

4. SR says:

Squad of the future. Get Boyd cap’d

5. Petaluman says:

I guess Klejstan is still paying the price for that tweet. The guy deserves a chance at some point.

6. JPD says:

Brek Shea and Klejstan, I’d like to have seen them.

7. rambo says:

Seems that JK just rates Torres and other players higher than Klejstan.

8. rambo says:

Shea is with U23s

9. Stephen M. says:

Interesting that Fabian Johnson is listed as a midfielder and not a left back…wanted to see him and Chandler paired out wide in the back line, but Terrence Boyd’s inclusion is a very pleasant surprise!

10. dan says:

Ives…. starting line-up?

11. tom says:

Will Mando and Cletus finally settle their long-running feud????

12. rambo says:

In regards to Boyd being called up, most likely saving him from traveling to the US for the Mex friendly. Maybe they made a deal with Dortmund allowing him to leave for the actual qualifying tournament instead of traveling to the US this time.

13. Ryan in NY from NC says:

i’m baffled why he’d take 4 defensive mids and leave out sacha kljestan. Why do you need Edu, Williams, Johnson, Bradley AND Jones.

Say what you will about JK but his squad selections are questionable at best. This is ridiculous.

14. rambo says:

No Benny either

15. Jose S. says:

Klinsmann must have been really unimpressed when he called him up in September.

Klejstan didn’t even get minutes playing v. Belgium.

16. strider says:

Good to see Guzan back on the squad. While Hamid and Johnson have potential, Guzan is still well ahead of them in experience and proven ability for now. I’ll be really interested to see who Klinsi starts and what additional players get PT. This is a really strong group.

17. Lance says:

March 29th?

18. Ed says:

Not a lot of true wingers…

19. jcl says:

Goody, we get to see Danny Williams play on the wing again and complete 1 pass, cant wait

20. Answer says:

Thankfully. He doesn’t belong in this group.

21. sean says:

I just don’t see this lineup. Who is going to create chances from the midfield? Is that Donovans new role? Maybe Torres? Glad to see Buddle on the squad.

22. ted says:

Put a jacket on Klejstan, because you are out in the cold. Would have liked to see SK come in instead on Mo Edu, as he is probably last choice def mid in a pool heavy in def mids

23. USMNT DC FAN says:

I am a big fan of this group. There is a great mix of experienced guys and fresh faces. While I do agree that SK should have been called in, I will happily trade that for a Terrance Boyd call-up.

Who do we think will be our starters for Italy?

My hopes:

Howard

Dolo- Cameron-Bocanegra- Chandler

Jones- Bradley

Donovan- Dempsey- Johnson

Altidore

I like this lineup because we will need size/ force in the middle so two ‘DCM’ is not a bad thing. I am also a huge fan of Fabian Johnson and can’t wait to see him with Donovan and Dempsey.

24. Jamie Z. says:

I have no issues with this squad. Nice looking group.

25. Murph says:

——Dempsey—–Altidore——

————-Torres————-

Johnson——Bradley——-Donovan

Chandler—Boca—Cameron—-Dolo

————-Howard————–

26. rambo says:

He saw him train for a week, so must have def not liked what he saw. What type of system does he play in Belgium? Is he just not a good fit for this team?

27. Shane says:

Klinsy rates our players so poorly that he thinks we need to mostly defend vs Italy. That’s my guess. He’s articulated enough times in enough detail how we arent even in the same class as Mexico.

28. douglas says:

Nice to see Boyd, would’ve loved to see him with the U23’s.

Is cap tieing Boyd an issue? How does that work with full national team friendlies v. u23 friendlies?

29. bryan says:

pretty nasty call up. really sucks gooch is injured. my changes:

1. Drop Parkhurst
    2. Move Williams to defense
    3. Add Sasha

i like the Boyd call up, but i was not expecting it since he got called into u-23s. since shea didn’t get the call, i’m guess JK just wants to see Boyd up close.

and no, no wingers. so im thinking we play a 4-4-2, we don’t need wingers. johnson and donovan will work fine in those roles. it’ll be more of a box midfield. OR, even in a 4-3-3, johnson and donovan would work fine. just not sure dempsey likes playing in a 4-3-3 where he isn’t one of the strikers. maybe him and LD switch?

30. aasd says:

imo maurice edu may be a defensive mid player but he is miles ahead in experience and skill than SK so this seems like a fair selection.

31. bryan says:

LD, Johnson, Torres and even Dempsey have that ability. Still would have liked to see Sasha though.

32. bryan says:

nah man, drop Parkhurst, put Williams under defenders and then put Sasha in the open mid spot.

33. NE Matt says:

Like the Boyd inclusion, like the Beckerman exclusion, but disappointed with the Rimando inclusion. Would of liked to see him dropped for Edgar Castillo. He’s been playing great for Tijuana and I’d like to see what Chandler can do at RM on the international stage. I think it’s dumb to keep playing him at left back until we see what Johnson can do there at the international level and also Castillo one or two more times before we rule him out for good.

34. bryan says:

i think this will likely be the starting 11. jones may get the nod over bradley though. and williams could play instead of cameron.

and in either lineup, i would be happy. haha

35. bryan says:

i should clarify, we DO have wingers, but not the Shea-type winger

36. Kasey says:

Trainer, können wir mehr Wurst und Eier?

37. rambo says:

I agree with you as I think other players are more deserving. Just pointing out another player who missed out so everyone can complain about it!

38. jeff says:

Outside of the starters, the back line is thin.

39. Spike says:

Torres has something like 5 assist in his last 130 games and even fewer goals. Why would you have him sit behind the forwards?

40. rambo says:

I like this line up but I have a feeling JK will start Torres somewhere

41. Neruda says:

Boyd for sure as a second half sub for Jozy. Can’t wait to see what he does.

42. fifawitz1313 says:

Alright, based on this roster I would like to see this line-up.

———Howard———-

Dolo–Cameron–Boca–Chandler

———Jones——–

–Johnson———-Bradley

———-Dempsey——-

—Donovan——Altidore

43. danny says:

Can’t argue with this lineup at all. It provides us with 4 solid attacking players. Hopefully, then have Bradley as box-to-box (his natural position) and JJ as dm. Cameron would be the biggest newbie, but he has more of an upside than Goodson and parkhurst so I like a trial by fire in this case.
    I’d say its a close call between calling Torres or Kljestian (or Edu), but Klinsy went for the guys who have more NATS experience, rather than the guys who are in best club form.

44. bryan says:

i do agree. however, i don’t think italy is a good time to try castillo again. i’m fine with letting him continue to do well and come summer, take a look.

45. JPD says:

Yeah, I get that. Just tired of waiting for see him, Donovan and Dempsey string something together. Fan angst on my part.

46. Shmenge says:

If Boyd were to somehow score a goal or look impressive against Italy, his value would go up.

I’m sure Dortmund are all for a call-up that doesn’t involve transcontinental travel.

47. NE Matt says:

I was just thinking trial by fire lol

48. The Imperative Voice says:

Yeah, I agree, I look at the names and I don’t have a ton of complaints…Buddle and Spector, perhaps…..but Klinsi keeps calling up a bunch of center mids. This time at least there’s a Torres to balance it out somewhat, but we call up a bunch of d-mids like it’s the Dynamo or something, and we wonder why we’re goal-shy.

49. Al_OC says:

Look a bit defensive, but good group nonetheless.

5 German-Americans….waiting for Preston Zimmerman tweets :P

50. PD says:

Great opportunity for Parkhurst. No Kljestan is perplexing.

here’s my wish-list lineup:

————–Howard————— (sub Rimando)
    Cherundolo-Goodson-Bocanegra-Chandler (subs Cameron Parkhurst)
    —————Torres————— (sub Buddle)
    ——-Jones———–Bradley——-
    Donovan———————Dempsey
    ————Altidore—————–

51. malkin says:

This gets enough clicks as it is. He’ll save the starting line-up post for a day or two before.

52. adam says:

Terrence in an interview on mlssoccer.com sounds like hes committed to the USMNT get him a cap in the 89th min then he would have to file paperwork to switch countries

53. Dancy says:

My only complaint about this roster is that the US doesn’t have another forward that definitely deserves a call up over Buddle.

54. Rlw2020 says:

Everyone thinks cameron is slated to take over next to boca, i wouldnt be surprised to see edu or williams there.

Good group, cant wait for the game

55. Answer says:

JT is NOT an attacking player. I’d be shocked if the CM combo wasn’t Jones and Bradley.

56. The Imperative Voice says:

Cameron doesn’t have a card suspension issue? I thought it was a straight red? If he’s not suspended it is of course a good choice but my memory is he was tossed from game 2 of the pair, this is the next fixture…..

57. Answer says:

Friendlies don’t cap tie you. Playing a friendly against Italy is meaningless in that department.

58. Murph says:

Because that is the vision Klinsmann has for him. Personally, I think Sasha deserves that spot. We’ll see.

59. 2tone says:

Uhm Johnson is not a defensive mid.

60. Murph says:

Neither of which are attacking players.

61. gossip gal says:

what tweet?

62. Answer says:

Shea was terrible against Slovenia and France. He’s no gimme.

63. Colin says:

——–Altidore——–
    —-Dempsey————-
    —————–Donovan
    Williams–Jones–Bradley
    Chandler————Dolo
    ——Boca—Goodson—-

That’s how I think we will play. The least secure places would be Williams, then Goodson, then Jones.

Williams: Against CONCACAF opposition, i see us putting Shea in his place and pushing that spot forward as an LM rather than an LCM (i realize these are video game terms, chill)

Goodson: I happen to like Goodson but if Cameron steps up and Goodson disappoints, he could grab that spot.

Jones: If the midfield is disjointed, I see Jones getting the hook before Bradley. This could be because I rate Mike higher, but in reality it could probably go either way.

In an ideal world, we learn to play a fluid midfield 3. Everyone wants us to push players forward but they’re sort of ignoring the fact that we can’t allow talented teams space in front of our back 4. Let 2 of our solid CMs play together against competition where we can afford to make some mistakes. We know how to play that two-man midfield base. We need to learn how to play with three.

64. adam says:

friendlies dont count for anything when it comes to cards

65. PD says:

is he saying anything that the rest of the world doesn’t know?

I can be annoyed as hell by it but it doesn’t make it any less true.

66. Answer says:

You are correct. Cameron was sent off against Panama and cannot play against Italy.

67. Stoop says:

Five German-Americans here, right? I find this trend very interesting. Reminds me of the early 1990s and earlier, when so many of the players were European with some sort of American tie. I’d love to read some longer pieces about this.

68. douglas says:

Right on. Wasn’t sure about that rule. Thanks.

69. Murph says:

I could also see:

——-Boyd——-Altidore—-

————Dempsey————

Johnson—–Bradley——-Donovan

Williams—Boca—Cameron–Chandler

70. Vic says:

Best callups so far for Klinnsmann. I’m glad not to see Kyle Beckerwoman and Broke Shea. I’m also not a fan of Curly Edu but he’s ok. Nice to see alot of skillful players got called up.

71. MTs says:

and he is correct

72. 2tone says:

Does this mena that Porter will call in Wooten now. I am hopeful that Kaiserslautern did not release Wooten instead of Porter snubbing him. Anyways I like this roster. A little surprised about Boyd, but nonetheless would like to see him get a few minutes. Based on this squad Klinsmann is looking to go with a variation of the 4-3-3. Starting 11
    Howard
    Dolo, Goodson, Boca, Chandler
    ———Jones——-Torres
    ————Dempsey———-
    Donovan——-Altidore——-Johnson. But who knows he may go with a 4-4-2 diamond.

73. MTs says:

who needs that sh*t anyway

74. RK says:

Or that facial hair.

75. The Imperative Voice says:

If this is a co-U-23 game why does it look like a senior team plus Boyd? One could be forgiven for thinking we’re dressing up a senior look at Boyd as merely U-23 because it might miff the Germans if we were calling up a player for the senior team we’ll also want for the U-23s next month.

76. 2tone_1981 says:

Would have liked to have seen at least one more creative middie. But I think this is a very strong squad.

77. 2tone says:

Not really following you here. I think Dortmund were reluctant to release Boyd for the U-23’s fro Porters camp knowing that Boyd would be released again a few weeks after leading to the Qualifying tournament, so Klinsmann called him into the senior team.

78. Wispy says:

Given injuries and the U-23s, I really like this roster.

So glad both Parkhurst and Cameron got the call — I wonder which one was added AFTER Gooch’s injury (and maybe Whitbread’s…)

Also glad Guzan is included. I hope he gets the second half and stands on his head so he can solidify the No. 2. I love Hamid, but I don’t think he’s ready to takeover as senior team ‘keeper if Howard goes down.

My starting formation:

————- Howard ————–

Dolo — Cameron — Boca — Chandler

————- Williams ————-

——– Bradley —- Johnson ——

Donovan —– Altidore —– Dempsey

79. Raghu says:

No Beckerman??? Glad to see that (though he’s hurt, right). No speedy wingers coming off the bench in the second half. Believe it or not – would have liked to see Beasley be called up. He’s valuable as a second half sub to put in defensive work and stretch the defense on the left side.

Bummed Gooch got hurt – hope it’s not a serious setback to his form after 8 weeks.

80. soccerroo says:

yeah I count four total on the team. Two on defense with Chandler and Cherundelo and two mid/forward with Dempsey/Donovan.

I know Spector can play wide and that Johnson and Williams may get pushed wide but it is not the best position for any of the 3.

81. BostonTim says:

can’t Cap him in a friendly

82. away goals says:

Swap bradley and johnson (bradley plays on the right for chievo, johnson on the left for hoffenheim) and that’s what I’m expecting as well.

Also goodson might get the nod ahead of cameron.

83. jon says:

Among the germans, i think fabian, jones and chandler earned their spots. I have no opinion on boyd (haven’t seem him) but just not sold on Williams. Based on his other appearances for the NATS I’d have called SK instead.

84. AC says:

NICE to FINALLY see Donovan and Dempsey on the same JK squad.

85. Ryan says:

I don’t get the Torres hype. What has the guy ever done?

86. AC says:

Williams was usually played out of position…He was used as a winger even though he is a defensive midfielder or centerback for his club team.

87. Vic says:

He’s a great possession player. He doesnt score much or provide assists. However, neither did Claudio Reyna or Xabi Alonso, but they provide possession.

88. jon says:

I thought Boyd was with the u-23s right now.

89. k>t says:

ROFLOL… that was the best laugh I’ve had in a long time. Well played.

Torres is good but not internationally good. He is too small and not strong enough.

90. beachbum says:

was just going to post that. that’s a tough looking squad, will need to be out there in Italia

91. Vic says:

Boyd was paired with Agudelo in two friendlies with the U-23 team. Agudelo didn’t score. Boyd scored two goals hit the post and looked dangerous many other times. Check out his goals on youtube, they’re amazing.

92. jon says:

i hear you. if he’s going to get pt, it better be in one of his natural positions. the williams on the wing experiment should be over. he contributed nothing, seemed lost, and combined poorly with the other players

93. KC says:

Is Altidore not going to be part of the U23’s? Shouldn’t he get time on the field with them?

I understand we are thin at forward but the U23 prep is more important than a friendly IMO.

94. beachbum says:

why not?

95. Bellus Ludas says:

Considering the are U23’s I would expect to see in Qualifying who are prepping for Olympics this is a great selection.

Looks geared towards a midfield war.

96. adam says:

yeah but he would have to file paperwork to switch like fabian jermaine and edgar…they only played friendlys a cap isnt the same as being cap tied

97. beachbum says:

spot on. Torres has a role to play, but unless he plays differently than he always has, sitting him behind the forwards seems off base. so…Coach just might to it :)

98. beachbum says:

me too

99. beachbum says:

I think you guys are on it

100. soccerroo says:

If Klinsi is using the same set up that Porter used yesterdayfor the U-23, your midfield 3 are not wingers but control and transition in the middle. wich would more likely mean Torres/Bradley/Jones type of group.

101. Right Answer says:

you are wrong why would he call him in if he could not play…

102. Burnsy05 says:

Howard

Chandler- Williams- Bocanegra- Johnson

Bradley- Jones-

Donovan- Torres- Dempsey

Altidore

103. Andy says:

Personally, I’ve never been impressed with him. He always plays bad when we call him in for the nats. I was at the 2nd Gold Cup game against Panama, and he was awful. All the fans around me were yelling to get him off the field.

Obviously, he’s had club success this year, but if JK didn’t like him when he first called him in, I can certainly see why from past performances.

104. Ryan in NY from NC says:

You’re right, that’s why i said FOUR d-mids, not sure why i put Fab’s name in there.

It doesn’t make his selections more plausible.
    He selects 4 dmids and leaves out Sacha and Benny. Ridiculous.

105. jon says:

yeah, but wc qualifying is waaayyy more important than the olympics. and klinsi deserately needs to find forwards who are going to be effective in his system, and there aren’t a lot of legit options outside jozy and deuce.

106. biff says:

I was wondering about the tweet to, and found a story that can be accessed by the link below. Yes, not wise of Kljestan to do the Tweet, but is not that bad and it simply shows how badly he wants a call-up. I don’t think the Tweet is the reason for the current snub.

link to mlssoccer.com

107. Andy says:

That’s not where he belongs, and hopefully JK realizes that. He’s a solid player, but he needs to be put at CB or CDM and he’ll excel.

108. biff says:

That’s why Messi sux. He’s too small.

109. JD in FL says:

Both could be attacking players, Bradley looked good in the Slovakia game with some dangerous through balls. Overall, the Bradley – Jones tanden hasn’t always showed a fluid interchange between attacking and defensive duties. If they ever get their chemistry worked out we have serious grit in the center.

110. Andy says:

I really like this one. I could see JK putting Torres instead of Bradley, but personally I like Bradley in there better.

111. Joe Creighton says:

Exactly.

112. Andrew says:

this lineup seems right. only change i would make it bradley on the right and williams for cameron.

113. Turd Bradley says:

Peeps-

He will play some version of a 4-3-3. Is he going to play Rimando? I am not sure why you make him fly to europe to just sit on the bench.

dolo cameron boca chandler

jr jones
    johnson
    cakes Deuce
    Boyd

Is what I would like to see. who cares who plays gk. Please sit Jozy or at least make sure he can get 50 juggles before he comes on the field. I only put boyd in there because I want to see him play. If jones or jr start to suck you put in gringo. Who cares about sachbrah. Once stubrah gets fit sachbrah’s chances of ever making a wc squad is highly unlikely.

114. JD in FL says:

edit *Slovenia

115. Joe B NYC says:

I agree. On another note:

“A heavily European-based roster was called in for the match on March 29 in Genora…”

February 29 in Genoa?

116. Andy says:

Why would you sub Buddle into the CDM role?

117. Andy says:

Or do you just mean switch to a 4-4-2?

118. Turd Bradley says:

——jr — jones——–
    ——–johnson——–
    –cakes———deuce
    ———boyd

is what i meant

119. biff says:

———–Altidore———–

———–Dempsey——-

Johnson—-Torres—-Donovan

—————Jones—————

Chandler–Boca–Cameron–Dolo

120. swifty says:

same size as messi, genius. not same type of player but still able to succeed.

121. Isaac says:

Aside from who he called up in lou of Kljestan, Juergen could have called up at LEAST one more player. I really don’t get what his beef with this guy is. Kljestan is playing better than Torres and Edu in a better league. And the one appearance Sacha had off the bench against Costa Rica he actually looked good. He couldn’t even get a chance in Belgium, the country in which he happens to be playing football.

122. Turd Bradley says:

Ryan-

Gringo Torres is one of our better players. Players like him make everyone do less defending. Saying he can’t play because of his size holds no water in the modern game. I would take him over Maruice two right feet Edu any day. We want players that can pick a pass.

I would like to motion for all SPL players to be banned from the NATS. Boca would have to move along but that shouldn’t be a problem.

Turd

123. FSegaud says:

…and what has Messi done for Argentina????

JK!!!!

124. Joe Creighton says:

——-Dempsey—Altidore———–

Johnson——————-Donovan—

———Jones——Bradley———-

Chandler—Boca—Cameron–Cherundolo

————-Howard——————

Boyd comes in 2nd half for Altidore.
    Torres in 2nd half for Bradley.

125. Byrdman says:

Its probably nice to hide behind a internet connection and make snide comments about athletes who could run circles around you. Grow up, and make reasonable educated comments. I assume you left 3rd grade a few years ago.

126. FattyMatty says:

Wow. The lack of knowledge on this board is laughable at times. Next thing you’ll hear is that Brek Shea can’t play the next game because he got sent off in a scrimmage against FC Dallas.

127. Chris G says:

Don’t get having Bradley, Edu, Jones, and Williams all on the team

Kljestan snubbed badly. Also would have liked to have seen Beasley, Gomez, and Benny (Take off Williams, Edu, Buddle, and a defender)

128. Isaac says:

Not arguing here, but Edu played in the Olympics and got back for World Cup qualifying in Guatemala. As did Kljestan, and Bradley. That said, the USA’s unfortunate early exit from the competition might have had something to do with that.

129. CA says:

I hope Giuseppe Rossi doesn’t score on us again and go batshit crazy afterwards.

130. bryan says:

everyone needs to remember that Torres, Holden and Sasha are all NOT attacking mids. Holden is the closest to that role. Sasha plays in a 4-2-3-1 in Belgium is one of the two center mids that stay back. he is obviously given more room to go forward, but he is not an attacking mid in the mold of a Kaka, Ozil, Xavi, etc. so to argue that Torres cannot play that role but Holden or Sasha could doesn’t hold much water.

131. MicahK says:

Where is Davies ?

132. FattyMatty says:

Rossi is injured and will not be playing.

133. FattyMatty says:

France

134. k>t says:

yes Messi and torres are equals. Messi has a God given talent that we won’t see in a long while. Also, please read that I said small torres is small and NOT STRONG!!!!! Messi is small yet STRONG and can push off a player twice his size.

135. MicahK says:

Haha!!!!! :D I know he has not been playing, but he seems like he is some kind of nice form since he is making the bench.

136. Swelly says:

BEASLEY!?!

137. k>t says:

good question what has Messi done for Argentina. He has done great things for Barca, but what has he done for Argentina?

138. Isaac says:

Ryan never said anything about his height, though… Unless it was in an earlier post…

Anyways, I would say Torres is kind of in the mold of a Pirlo, for the most part. He’s best in a deep role in front of he defense away from the more burly central midfielders so that he has time to spray around passes that set/dictate tempo, spread play, switch the point of attack, and make his team defend less.

The issue is that he doesn’t actually like to go forward much, so playing him in an advanced role would stunt the attack, but if you play him in a deep role, the way Pirlo does for Juventus/Milan, then he’d end up having to mark a playmaker, which isn’t his strength.

139. Mac says:

well youre just wrong here bro torres was a revelation in klinsmanns first two games against costa rica and mexico and then he got hurt. he obviously deserves this call up. on another note i absolutely love this roster, i think its one of the best we could possibly put out in a friendly and im so psyched to hopefully watch terrence boyd play

140. marco says:

He looked terrible on the wing, below MLS quality, way below.

141. Judging Amy says:

I think Torres is good and like his inclusion but the Messi/Torres size argument doesn’t work.

Messi, physically/athletically is amazing. He’s lightning quick and fast and strong as hell on the ball. His lower center of gravity seems if anything to help him.

Torres doesn’t have anywhere near the same athletic ability or physical frame.

So while the argument that Messi is too small and will get pushed around on the pitch is ludicrous, it is still valid as to Torres because he doesn’t have the same physical gifts as Messi (although I think he compensates in other ways).

That said I still think Torres should be included in the roster. He’s a nice player who gives the team a different look. Real calming presence on the ball. Defensively he’s underrated but I figure that’s what Klnismann will be looking at.

142. marco says:

Agree, both Parkhurst and Goodsen over Whitbread. Is Whitbread injured?

143. Judging Amy says:

Honestly, the fact that the US doesn’t develop many high level attacking wings is probably the next big specific issue overall US soccer development will want to address (I know easier said than done).

But JK just doesn’t have a true wing at his disposal aside from Brek who seemed to have hit a bit of a slump.

JK has seemed to have a lot of problems getting the team to function within a defined scheme and style. Its been a bit of a mess his first few games (not unexpected with a new coach trying to change a team’s playing style while figuring out who his players are).

144. CRR says:

I’m assuming Boyd will not play, just train. If he does, I’d be shocked. He hasn’t played for the BD senior team yet (bench doesn’t count), so why would we put him in against Italy? Not putting in Sasha looks like a personal vendetta at this point He’s been on a fantastic run in Belgium, and is a creative player that we have lacked lately. Was really looking forward to seeing him in the midfield. There is a reason Premier league and la liga clubs are sniffing around, kid’s good.

145. kelso says:

Bradley’s abilities are not limited to a “CDM” role. He has valuable attacking qualities as well. Just look at his goal rate for the USMNT and compare it to our past offensive central midfielders. Obviously this one stat is not a perfect barometer, but it’s a tough one to dismiss entirely.

I hope that JK reviewed each players contribution in SA in 2010. I think if it were not for LD’s stoppage time goal Bradley would be the MVP for that team (or Howard).

146. Felix says:

Torres’ problem isn’t his size. Small players can be excellent. Torres’ problem is that he plays very deep in the midfield, in spaces where a defensive mid would play, but his ball-winning skills and work rate when we don’t have the ball are subpar. Second, his passing isn’t nearly incisive enough to justify having a defensive liability playing deep in the midfield.

I still think Torres is a situational player. In circumstances where the other side is not pressuring much in the midfield and Torres doesn’t have to do much defensively and he can excel.

147. AdamFromMich says:

I don’t know about playing Jones, Torres, and Dempsey as the midfielders in a 4-3-3. Jones has a tendency to get pulled out of position, Torres can get overpowered, and Dempsey doesn’t always concentrate on defense. I’d like to see this:

————Howard————-
    Dolo—Goodson–Boca—Chandler
    ——Bradley——other*——
    ————Dempsey————
    Donovan—–Altidore—-Johnson

Where other* is one of Williams, Torres, Edu, or Jones — whoever meshes the best with Bradley during training.

148. Judging Amy says:

Yeah. I’ve always thought the strengths and character of our national team (throughout the years not just currently) being:
    1. Great goalkeeper
    2. Solid and disciplined defense

Never thought defense would be possibly our thinnest positional area. I guess we’re going through a transitional stage with our young defender not fully realizing themselves yet (Ream, John, Gonzo, Lichaj).

149. Judging Amy says:

Yep and Boyd, while potentially promising, has yet to play a professional first team minute anywhere.

150. marco says:

I see Bradley/ Jones in front of the back 4, so Torres or Johnson sit.

151. happyjuggler0 says:

Regarding all of the defensive midfielders, JK will usually be playing a dynamic 4231 formation. That means we will be using more players at that position than if we played a 442 with a diamond shape for the midfield.

So bringing in a bunch of defensive midfielders simply makes sense, especially if he hasn’t solidified who his first stringers are for that position.

152. Judging Amy says:

Or his excellent goal rate for Heerenven (to further support your argument).

You’re right he does have attacking qualities, but he’s definitely still a more defensive minded player (how he plays at Chievo).

153. Shounen Bat says:

Yea, that is probably what this lineup should be considering who was called in. I think it looks good, but I am still a proponent of starting to give Chandler minutes at his preferred RB position. As others have said, Johnson can fill in at LB (and probably be awesome) until Lichaj comes back or someone else steps up.

154. marco says:

I think you nailed it, but Cameron may not start.

155. bryan says:

i understand that, which is why i said we would play a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. that was the point of my second paragraph.

@Andrew – this is true and i agree.

@ judging amy – i agree. bedoya and rogers aren’t turning out to be the winger everyone wanted them to be. beasley is beasley. LD has been solid for us on the wing. but other than that, nothing really.

156. marco says:

Williams is terrible on the wing.

157. Shounen Bat says:

I think either of these solutions works. The point is that SK deserves another shot. He is played almost every minute of every game on a very talented team.

158. Mac says:

alright chill williams is in there because he has a chance to play center back next to boca because our options are very limited there this time around and hes been killing it there for club. fabian just is absolutely not a d-mid. and bradley is way too attack minded to call him strictly a d-mid, hes much more of a two way player. so that leaves us with 2(jones and edu), maybe 2 and half (this is me compromising with you on bradley) d-mids. whats wrong with that?

159. TomG says:

I would vote for this lineup as well.

160. Jakub says:

This was a very strategical move. Worried that Germany might try to grab his attention, Klinsmann wanted to tell Boyd that he’s in our plans right now. And I think that’s why he came out and said he was set on the U.S.

161. Jeffrey Kean says:

I agree and disagree. I agree with your assessment of where JT tends to play, but would argue he would wear the 8 shirt in this setup, and thus have a number 6 handling the majority of the DM stuff. He would be more of a swingman. Seems JK has been waffling a bit on how to man the 8 roles – sometimes it is Edu, who seems too defensive and our attack lacks smoothness.

Where I really disagree a situation with a lot of pressure in the midfield. This is where Torres excels and are more defensive-minded midfielders suffer and squander possession. JT’s ability on the ball and ability to pass out of danger alleviate this pressure.

Just my thoughts – I’m excited he’s back in that he provides a defter touch than we have had in that slot and contributes to possession (if not incisive passes).

162. UMN says:

——-Howard—–
    Dolo–Williams-Boca–Johnson
    —–Jones-Bradley—-
    Chandler———-Donovan
    —–Dempsey-Altidore–

Maybe it is too experiential against Italy, but I’d rather see Williams/Edu tried out at centerback. Johnson has been playing leftback and chandler in an attacking role with their clubs. Dempsey would be given some freedom and play either as a second striker or CAM.

163. PurpleGold says:

you forgot about donovan and dempsey.

164. MicahK says:

I would rather start Parkhurst than Cameron.

165. MicahK says:

Are you serious why drop Parkhurst he did well with our B team the last friendlies. And we kept a shut out with him at CB.

166. MicahK says:

Yes, he stays injured he is like made of glass.

167. THomas says:

It was pointed out to me that Torres plays d-mid too…just because youre club spot is there doesn’t mean you can’t play a different spot.

Bradley plays out wide for his Verona, Johnson played out wide last time for us. I was actually surprised at how few d-mids we could potentially have

168. CJ in OC says:

I think this is a pretty good group–really strong. And while I think Sacha really deserves the call, I’m not sure that he’ll get one any time soon.

JK is really trying to inject a latin influence (at least if you believe what he is saying and don’t look at what he’s doing), and imho I think he, like everyone else, is really impressed with how calm JFT is when he is on the ball. Further, I think that JFT may fit into that holding mid position a bit better than Sacha in JK’s mind, and Sacha just doesn’t do as well out wide.

Assuming a 4-2-3-1, I don’t think JK sees that there is enough space on the roster for Sacha to play in the attacking mid spot either. Dempsey is probably going to start there (as an AM or recessed striker), while any of the other winger options would fit in there as well (LD, FJ, DW: as someone said earlier, no true wingers in this group)–and quite frankly, JK prefers his German-American finds.

my two cents…

169. Cylo says:

Bradley and Edu are the only true D-mids in that list. Jermaine Jones is not a D-mid. His more box 2 box.

170. CJ in OC says:

P.S. not trying to be a Euro-snob with my terms, I just find the “center” in the descriptions of the different roles as redundant. DM would be fine too, but do we need to designate a player at the DM or AM spot as the one in the center, or is it a given?

171. Air Jordanz says:

Wow, dude… you seem to have a personal problem with pretty much every player left off this roster.

Your analysis is pretty much garbage, so I’m curious as to your reasoning.

Did Sacha/Benny seduce your sister/mom or something?

172. Air Jordanz says:

You think Boca would do better? How about Gooch?

Williams was played out of position. Klinsmann’s fault, not Danny’s.

173. Air Jordanz says:

I’m gonna have to go back and watch Sacha in the CR game (his only under JK).

He came in seconds after Rodney Wallace’s goal, and the U.S. really piled on the attack after that embarassment. They didn’t get the equalizer, but I remember Sacha being instrumental in changing the flow of the game.

Was there an off the field issue nobody else knows about?

174. wilyboy says:

Boyd? What a great callup.

And for those dishing on Torres, we already have strong midfield bruisers, it doesn’t hurt to have someone off the bench who can do something different.

Hell, if it’s a 4-3-3, he could easily start with Dempsey and Jones/Edu, who can more than make up for his size.

175. Air Jordanz says:

Johnson hasn’t been amazing at LB for Hoffenheim. Better to leave Chandler there for now.

176. Primoone says:

The people not complaining outwiegh the ones that are…no biggie

177. Elliot says:

Those other two are with the U-23s

178. Air Jordanz says:

I don’t see Boyd starting. If we go with 2 forwards, I’d expect Altidore & Dempsey.

There’s a good chance Boyd could be the first FWD sub over Buddle, though.

179. biff says:

You think am stupid enough argue with you? No way……..

…..Ahhgghh! What the hell. I guess am. Yeah, good points, but, actually, the bottom line is that it appears that you think Torres is a decent enough player with potential to contribute to the USMNT. Personally, I like what I have seen of Torres thus far in the Klinsmann era, although still uncertain whether he will consistently perform well enough to be a starter. In any case, I don’t buy the argument that his small stature should exclude him from USMNT consideration. Lot of very good soccer players who are physical lightweights.

180. Goalscorer24 says:

This looks like one of the best rosters under Klinsmann. Granted Klejstan deserves a call in, but still pretty excited overall.

181. Air Jordanz says:

…But having appeared for the senior US team, Boyd would be required to file for his one time switch with FIFA.

That could dissuade Germany from pursuing him, unless he looks like he is going to outshine all of the other prospective German forwards and merit a call up.

182. jon says:

no beckerman? wow, i’m kinda surprised. A- by JK…, should’ve called in feilhaber over edu.

183. primoone says:

+10

Concede the midfield and you place too much pressure on your defenders. As it stands, we wont be able to hang our hat on our defensive back-line in Italy. You need to be able to with stand pressure and keep the ball. Torres, LD, Clint Fabian all have this ability. We will see how it pans out.

184. biff says:

I don’t know. Klinsmann thus far has stuck with a lone DM. Even when had Beckerman and Edu on the field at the same time, Edu was playing up top as an offensive midfielder. So if MB is in there, he probably would have to be playing more offensively and I would be surprised to see Klinsmann do that with Torres and Donovan on the squad. Remember, against Sovenia, when MB played right offensive midfield, Torres and Donovan were absent.

185. Air Jordanz says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Castillo again, but I don’t think he was excluded at Rimando’s expense.

Several of JK’s past rosters have only had 20 players… this one has 21.

If anything, Klinsmann probably considers Rimando to be the #2 right now (with Hamid and Johnson at the U-23 camp) after a solid performance against Panama. Guzan isn’t getting first team minutes right now and hasn’t played under JK yet.

186. Peter says:

I think that role is primed for Adu, but I could be mistaken.

187. Air Jordanz says:

Yup, and there’s no way he would start against Italy having never been capped for the senior USMNT with a vet like Goodson in camp.

188. Air Jordanz says:

I’m surprised Boyd got the call over Sapong. I didn’t spend a month in camp w/ them, but Sapong was definitely the best U.S. forward in the two friendlies last month.

Probably politics at this point (capping Boyd).

189. Air Jordanz says:

190. biff says:

Remember, though, Johnson was playing LB under his old coach, Stanislawski. Let’s see what his new coach does with him. I think Chandler and Johnson (up front) on the left side with Dolo and Donovan on the right could create fireworks. Eventually Chandler probably will move right, but I just saw a German feature article about Dolo and he says he wants very badly to be playing WC2014.

link to newsticker.sueddeutsche.de

I will say, I watched Hoffenheim’s game last weekend against Mainz, and both Johnson and Danny Williams looked very good under the new coach. They have improved since they lasst appeared with the USMNT. Williams has potential to be a beast. He looked big and lean and mean as defensive mid.

191. Air Jordanz says:

Well, in a 4-4-2 that doesn’t use a diamond midfield, you’d have to designate which of the 2 CMs was defensive.

Just a thought.

192. wides says:

Kljestan deserves it though, and we don’t exactly have a whole lot of offensive midfield players out there.

Don’t understand why he doesn’t at least get a look.

193. Footballer says:

Really? As loaded as the Germans are in attack and midfield, they will now try and grab a player who is a reserve player at Dortmund up until maybe two weeks ago? Sure. The delusion has started again over some player that is at best average. If these kids are good, US is not prying them away from Germany, plain and simple.

194. bryan says:

because it’s a waste! he isn’t going to play for our A team. i see no benefit. Sasha and Williams have a much better chance. this isn’t a dig at Parkhurst, I just think Sasha should be there over him since we have Williams to play CB.

on another note, i think Beasley is an interesting omission as well. maybe JK wants him to continue getting his form back?

195. CroCajun says:

In the games I saw Torres play I wasn’t too upset with his defending. He isn’t a destroyer like Jones or MB, but he is good at getting in passing lanes and playing the tactical game.

Torres’ strength is that he ALWAYS wants the ball and his ability with it gives his teammates a comfortable outlet to play it. It’s hard to quantify a player like that’s impact on a team unless you are really in tune to the game. When Torres is on the ball at the center line with his entire team in front of him, your team is not being scored on.

196. CroCajun says:

I’ve never actually seen Boyd play and have only started hearing his name recently. Where did he come from?

197. Footballer says:

Has he even played a competitive league game for Borussia Dortmund? So where is this stock all of a sudden rising from? From the 200,000 Euros he is listed as? Let the kid play first guys.

Same thing with Agudelo. These kids are okay nothing special about them, because if they were well they would be starting like their fellow teenagers/20-21 year old.

198. CroCajun says:

D-mid is our deepest position. It also happens to be a place where we have many versatile players.

I don’t see why there would be any surprise to see so many called in.

199. Footballer says:

So a nice form of making the bench means he should be invited? Shows the US has no forwards.

200. Footballer says:

Huh? Klejstan a creative player? Since when? He does not play the position for Anderlecht and there is nothing creative about him except his mustache.

Please tell me which Premier League and La Liga clubs are sniffing around for him? Come on stop it. He is an average player.

201. Ravi says:

Klejstan definitely deserves it over Williams. Klinsmann is way too in love with Bundesliga players.

202. Ca says:

Glad to hear it:)

203. Adam says:

i miss the good old soccer by ives days when all commenters knew what they were talking about…

204. Chef says:

They didn’t improve. They have always been that good but have been played out of position. Johnson is the best player in the midfield that we have. Watch early season Hoffenhiem matches. He is awesome.

205. Taylor says:

truth. our midfield looks way too defensive here. Torres is really the only attacking midfielder. if we field another 3 DM midfield while quality attacking players are sitting at their clubs on a FIFA date i will be enraged. Klinsmann shouldn’t have to sacrifice attacking flair just to get as many Bundesliga guys out there as possible

206. Andy says:

Oh sorry I didn’t clarify. I’m talking about Klejestan. Torres wasn’t at the Gold Cup.

I really like Torres, and I was saying that people need to stop clamoring for SK to get a call up when he has never really done well with the nats.

207. Chef says:

Great line up! I think D Williams will come in for Jones or Boca. Not saying he is better than either or that Boca is in any trouble of losing his spot but it would be interesting to see how he fairs out there. DWill has been playing really well at CB for Hoffenhiem with another CB that I rate way lower than Boca or Cameron.

208. Luke says:

Why would this dissuade Germany? Look at Edgar Castillo. He did his one time switch, got called up for a few friendlies and hasn’t been heard from since. You don’t think “sticking it” to Mexico had anything to do with this? Jones and Williams, not sure of Johnson were all players we “stole” from Germany. You don’t think the Germans might not want to “stick it” back to us by luring Chandler, Boyd or Morales away. If anyone of those players files for his switch, he can never represent the USA.

209. Chef says:

Williams is a central player. Dolo and Chandler are locks for the outside positions until Lichaj or someone starts to play well on the left. Then and only then could I see Dolo getting phased out.

210. roystere says:

I’m pleased that Parkhurst was selected. He’s seriously underrated. Of course, there’s a good chance he won’t see the field, but still, it’s a step in the right direction.

211. Felix says:

He does have good ball skills and can work out of tight situations with his technical ability. No doubt about that. But I feel often times his passing is too simple to justify his presence. He’s a link man, he likes to collect the ball deep from the defense or defensive mid and play it to his attacking midfielders.

My comment about needing to play in situations where there isn’t much pressure in the midfield isn’t due to his ability to work out of that pressure, but the defensive responsibilities and work rate required to effectively handle a high pressure tactic. Even though he still needs a true defensive mid sitting next to him, because of where he likes to play in midfield, it still infers defensive responsibilities. In other words, you can’t play that deep in the midfield and not have to play D, which on this level he isn’t very good at. Finally, because Klinsmann likes to play a high line, it requires the center mids to pressure the other side when they have possession so they cannot play balls over the top. Your center mids need to have a good work rate as well as strong ball-winning skills to protect your backline (especially a slow one like ours), Torres’ subpar work rate doesn’t compliment our high line.

In my opinion, he’s a luxury player.

212. Chef says:

Johnson is a bigger waste at LB than Chandler. Fab makes plays and leads his team in assists. Both are definite locks for 2014

213. Chef says:

I can +1 that

214. Chef says:

No. Just no. Torres is not good against quality opponents. His skill does not outweigh his lack of physical ability.

215. Chef says:

Johnson for Williams and you are on to something.

216. Chef says:

Who cares about being short. Torres isn’t good enough bc he doesn’t provide as much possession as people think, he is slow, he is a terrible defender, and he is not strong under pressure. His best game was against Panama which we lost. Bottom line I that we don’t win with Torres.

217. Murphy says:

should be an interesting game.

are they getting new uniforms this year?

218. Ed says:

BoardSnob

219. hij says:

I don’t know why Klinsi hates Sacha so much, he defiantly should be on it. Besides that it’s a good roster, but DMB deserved to be here too

220. Jeffrey Kean says:

Solid observations and points. Sounds like this really boils down to philosophy, or even an aspirational POV. I agree that he has been something of a work in progress when we don’t have the ball (though prior to the injury, he appeared to be improving). I do think we need to have somebody in there that has the vision, presence, and touch to effectively transition to a more offensive posture. Too many times I see rushed or outright dumb passes from that position that just put the recipient in a bad position, leading to loss of possession. Torres in that slot full-time is probably an ambitious thought, but I’d like to see how it works.

221. Justin says:

Man, I wish Gooch didn’t get hurt. The man is a physical presence we really need in the spine of our defense. Goodson’s ok, especially with his height, but he’s way soft. Regardless, I would start this lineup next Wednesday in Genoa.
    Timmy
    Dolo Goodson Bocanegra TimmyC.
    Jones
    Landon Bradley Johnson

Deuce
    Jozy

222. Rigazzi's on The Hill says:

What is the point of bringing in Rimando. He is great but wouldn’t Hamid benefit more from the experience?

Also, why no Zak Whitbread?

223. pd says:

yes. switch to a 4-4-2

224. PD says:

Well, it’s just my opinion, but if JK is set on having a dedicated defensive midfielder that roams in front of the back four then I think that Torres is best suited for the position out of the folks he’s called up. I’d rather see Jones and Bradley roaming more box to box and we already know what Edu can do, so take the first half as an opportunity to see what Torres can do there, I say. If Beckerman got a shot when I think he lacks technical passiing ability and speed of Torres then I think it’s fair to try him out there.

Second half go to 4-4-2.

225. abc says:

Fabian Johnson is a winger. Either that or a left back. He is not a d-mid. But of course four (Bradley, Jones, Williams, Edu) is still way too many d-mids.

226. abc says:

I’d like to see:

————-Altidore——–

——-Dempsey————–

Donovan—-Torres—-Bradley

————Jones———–

Johnson–Boca–Cameron–Chandler

227. abc says:

Hamid would benefit from the experience, that’s why he’s with the U-23s where he will actually play and get that experience, instead of sitting the bench as the second or third string GK watching Tim Howard. I still don’t see the point of a third goalkeeper though, Rimando should be with RSL. Call in two goalkeepers and use the other roster spot on a non-defensive midfielder, like Kljestan or even Beasley or Feilhaber.

Whitbread is injured yet again.

228. beachbum says:

agree with all of this post Amy. well said.

229. beachbum says:

Messi’s balance is simply incredible…incredible

230. beachbum says:

totally agree, and would add that I think paco is an excellent sub when we have a lead. his compoausre and ball skills/distribution can be maximized and by playing 30 minutes or so he won’t tire and physically rish be over powered later in games

231. beachbum says:

we disagree, and your post includes zero to change my mind. Paco has never played there, and it’s not his thing…he’d a deep lying central midfielder

232. Frank says:

I like this

233. beachbum says:

well, there’s Landon, who just played wonderfully on the wing for Everton and Neville called the best right winger he’d played with, or one of the best…with this group, that’s where I think we will see Landon, on the wing

234. MicahK says:

You do not know if he is going to play for the A team at the next world cup you are not physic. He is playing with the A team now get over it. We have injuries. You did not give any real reasons why he should be dropped, just that it is a waist. Good job, backing up your point. -____-

235. MicahK says:

Boyd makes the bench and your point is ? Obviously he is competing with Players on the team and reserves so if he is making the bench obviously he has some form. If you are trying to make me look stupid you failed.

236. Edwin in LA says:

I just wish he brought along a winger or two like Beasley or Feilhaber as Franco pointed those guys are 2 of the 3 somewhat surprises not to be included, but to me those are more surprising with the lack of wingers on the squad.

I would have liked to see Either Benny on the left wing, with Fabian Johnson behind him at Left Back, I know some people say he would be wasted but with him and Chandler on the outside backs it takes some pressure off of Boca and most likely Cameron….
    Plus it gives them great speed natural feet on the full back spots (Fabian is a lefty no?) and more dynamic attack to support Donovan on the right and Benny Feilhaber on the left, could of done it with Beasley is just that he brings me memories of 09 Confeds vs Italy for some reason even tho I think it was Brazil that Beasley really messed up.

But overall best squad so far, we are missing Gooch tho, that sucks, Hope Ike Opara comes into the equation and maybe someone like Gale at the end of the year when the team has secured qualification to the Hexagonal. Still waiting on George John to link with a Euro team or re-sign with Dallas and keep it at Best XI MLS levels

237. daniel says:

It would be a better looking squad had Klinsman included Bornstein, What was he thinking when he left him out of the lineup.

238. daniel says:

Believe it or not, Torres with all his tallent is still considered a defensive mid. yes, way too many def mids.

239. daniel says:

SK pissed JK off by posted on twitter “are you watching” refering jk not seeing his outstanding play at his club.

240. bradsdsu13 says:

i like the fact that jk decided to give tboyd a shot, the lad is young and physical and agressive. I definitely think Klejstan shoulve received a call up but o well. As a fan but unable to watch most bundesliga games, does Fabian johnson play defense or mid for TSG HOFF? Heres who id like to see start against Italy:
    Goalie: Howard
    Defense: Cherundolo-Goodson-Bocanegra-Chandler (would like to see johnson move back if he does play LB@TSG)
    Midfield: Bradley-Jones-Johnson
    Forward: Donovan-Altidore-Dempsey

1st sub in TBoyd
    2nd sub in JCameron

241. daniel says:

SK is a very good fit if JK wants to play a possession game. Great tech ability, offensive minded mid, etc.

242. Daniel says:

Yes, it was the tweet that Sacha made…

243. Alex G says:

what about Whitbread???

244. MicahK says:

People stop putting Jozy up top by himself. It will never work and never worked. He plays better with someone up top with him please people learn that. SMH.

245. PD says:

if JK is looking for players that can keep their cool with the ball at their feet while passing up from the back then Parkurst has earned a voice in the conversation. He and Ream can fight it our for Boca’s position.

246. PD says:

based on what we have in the pool right now (Chandler Williams Lichaj Cherundolo) I’d say we’re more loikely to see a generation of wingback type players before we see true traditionla wingers of the DmB and LD ilk.

247. PD says:

Rimando has earned this callup. It’s a shame he never made a go of it in Europe, but he’s certainly a quality keeper in anyone’s book, even without going overseas. Seeing minutes in Italy would be good for him I think.

248. PD says:

did you just say that Chandler is a waste at LB?

249. PD says:

switch jones and torres and you’ve got it.

250. PD says:

MB90 Jones
    Torres
    Johnson Parks Cameron Williams

251. skyman says:

I’m with him on that though: The Bundesliga is better than the Dutch league

252. skyman says:

The more I watch Barca, the more I realize that they are the PERFECT team for him, and vice versa. It could be that what people expect from Messi is far from what they should: He’s not Maradona, yet, is a very much a better club player than Maradona. Having said that, my money is on Messi winning one WC in his life.

253. Mike says:

Anyone know why Zak Whitbread never gets call-ups?

254. GW says:

Germany doesn’t give a rat’s a** about the players we are taking.

We haven’t taken anyone they really wanted. And if there is some sort of problem between the two teams, it’s worth remembering that the manager of Germany and the manager of the US know each other pretty well and apparently have a very good relationship.

Whatever else you want to say about JK I would think he is on top of our relationship with Germany.

255. GW says:

Boyd is 21 and promising.

Davies is 25 and faces an uncertain future.

Boyd has far greater upside and the odds of him becoming a productive forward for the US in the near future are better than the odds of Davies regaining the magic of his 2009-10, ten game run for the US.

256. GW says:

US fans are really stuck on semantics and terminology.

Bradley is an all around versatile player.

He plays the way he does at Chievo because

that is how the team wants him to play. Serie A teams generally play in a comparatively technical, disciplined and conservative style.

257. GW says:

Zak has the unfortunate habit of getting hurt just as he is about to get called up.

It’s happened often enough that you get the feeling he is trying to make Stu Holden feel better about his bad luck.

258. Two Cents says:

I dunno man, but without Bornstein, we’re in serious trouble.

Anyways, I’m surprised Klestjan isn’t in the squad. As someone stated below, we have a great deal of DM’s and it sucks because 3 of them will probably start. We could use more attack minded mid’s for depth.

I hope to see something like this:

—–Altidore—–Buddle—–
    Johnson—-Dempsey—-Donovan
    ————Jones———–
    Chandler–Boca–Goodson–Dolo
    ————Howard———–

I think Boyd is going to be awesome, but I figure Klinsmann will go more experience up top to start and hopefully bring Boyd in around the 70 minute mark.

With the way Spector has been playing, you could also see him starting at the RB spot, or possibly on the left and move Chandler back to RB. Dolo is a great player, but his speed is deteriorating quickly, as is Boca’s. However, Boca will get the nod, and I’m assuming Goodson, but Cameron also seems like a viable option.

Jones is a mad man, and I like him bossing the midfield. I prefer that he is the lone DM so we don’t have so much congestion up the middle. This will leave Dempsey to his prized role of CAM. Leave Donovan and Johnson to be the attacking wingers, as we don’t have anyone else to do it (great choices, just no depth).

The likelihood is I’m way off and we’ll be playing some form of the 4-3-3 and having the Italian midfield destroy us. I certainly hope our pace and possible chemistry can lead to waves of attack that troubles the Italians. We shall see.

259. bryan says:

i didn’t realize i was trying to convince you torres could play as an attacking mid. i don’t even think he can. do we do’t disagree in that regard. i was simply making the point that Holden, Torres and Sasha all play the same position. then i said Holden is more likely to get forward then all of them. adu and feilhaber are some of the only true attacking mids we have. johnson could be, but he is such a utility player right now it’s hard to know for sure.

260. bryan says:

dude, you need to relax. parkhurst is not on the A team until this call up. just look at the previous call ups! he is being given a chance because Gooch is hurt and since he did well for the B team. Boca, Gooch, Goodson, Ream, John, Cameron, Omar, Williams, Fiscal, and Parkhurst are our CB depth right now. it’s not hard to see that. so relax, get off his nuts, and realize i don’t dislike the guy, i’m just making the point that i think sasha deserved it more than him.

PD – i agree, what i am saying is that Williams and Cameron are the same type of player. so, in my opinion, i would have dropped parkhurst so that i could fit sasha onto the squad.

261. bryan says:

why would jones be better in that position? they both don’t play attacking mids, but i think torres would be better.

262. bryan says:

he has played LB, left mid, and center mid. most recently LB though. been ok, he is better when he is more forward.

263. bryan says:

INJURED

264. jon says:

———altidore———
    —————demspey—-
    johnson—torres—-donovan
    ———-bradley———
    chandler———cherundolo
    ——-boca—-cameron—-
    ———-howard———-

265. moptop says:

Donovan and Dempsey as forwards is a great move by Coach Klinsmann.

We need more goals and they’re our best 2 players.

Great to see this decision.

266. Moptop says:

Donovan and Dempsey as forwards is a great move by Coach Klinsmann.

We need more goals and they’re our best 2 players.

Great to see this decision.

267. ThaDeuce says:

I’m waiting for the argument that Sacha is more consistent for the nats than Torres. LOL

268. Four Cents says:

This is very good lineup. I’d really like to see it..