Friday Kickoff: Bradley marches with protesters, Terry loses captaincy & more

Bradley reuters

By JOHN BOSCHINI

As Egypt reels from the tragic deaths in Port Said, national team coach Bob Bradley is taking a role in the rebuilding.

The former U.S. manager joined in a non-violent protest march on Thursday as public anger against the interior ministry grows. Protesters feel not enough was done to prevent the deaths of 74 people and the injuries of hundreds more during the riots following the Al Ahly-Al Masry match on Wednesday. Egypt has been wrestling with turmoil since an uprising ousted the country's president nearly a year go.

"To see so many young people lose their lives is something that is a terrible, terrible thing and something that's very sad for everyone that's living in Egypt. All Egyptian people feel this today," Bradley said in an interview with Egyptian television.

All soccer-related activities in Egypt have been suspended, and Bradley said he's not thinking about his future as it relates to the Egyptian national team. The Egyptian Premier League has been suspended indefinitely, and the nation's FA has been disbanded. Egypt had three games scheduled for late February, but a decision has yet to be made as to whether they will be played. Bradley did not say one way or the other whether he would stay on as coach.

Here are some more stories to kick off your Friday:

TERRY OUT AS ENGLAND CAPTAIN

The English FA has removed John Terry as captain of the England national team following the delay of his racism trial until after the European Championships.

The Chelsea captain is still available to be selected for the England team for both this month's friendly against the Netherlands and for Euro 2012. Terry is on trial for allegedly using a racial slur against QPR defender Anton Ferdinand back in October, and the hearing was supposed to take place this month but was postponed until the summer.

Terry has denied all of the allegations, but he will not be eligible to regain the captaincy until at least July.

UNITED'S LINDEGAARD OUT A MONTH

Manchester United's goalkeeping questions continue to mount as the club confirmed goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard will be out for a month with an ankle injury. Lindegaard has spent most of the season backing up David de Gea but has occasionally jumped the Spaniard in the pecking order after a few impressive performances.

The goalkeeping duties for Sunday's massive clash with Chelsea rest firmly on de Gea, who missed Tuesday's game with Stoke due to illness.

BRAZIL COURT HALTS WC STADIUM STRIKE

A Brazilian court has ruled that a worker's strike that threatened to delay the construction of a World Cup stadium must end. The court ruled that the 2,000-person strike in the northeastern city of Recife was illegal.

The strike is over workers' desire for a pay raise, but the court ruled the employer's initial offer was fair and should not have been rejected. This is just the latest irregulairity in the build-up to the 2014 FIFA World Cup as Brazil continues to lag behind in preparations for the event.

—————-

What do make of Bradley's decision to march with protesters? Think the FA made the right call in stripping Terry of the captaincy? Confident in De Gea's abilities this weekend?

This entry was posted in European Soccer, International Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Friday Kickoff: Bradley marches with protesters, Terry loses captaincy & more

1. marden08 says:

Good for Coach Bradley. I think that he is a fine man. First of all I wish that he is safe and then I wish him all the success with his new job. He still should wear a suit or a sport coat.

2. wes says:

Or a bullet proof vest with a tie

3. Kosh says:

I’m with you on most of what you said, but like doing the right thing he SHOULD wear whatever he wants.

4. Shane says:

Dont get this. It’s the coaches that wear a shiny Itallian suit on an athletic field that look silly

5. biff says:

Speculation that the Dortmund-Nurnberg match might be postponed tonight because of the cold wave gripping Europe, and also maybe other Bundesliga games Saturday and Sunday canceled. It is forecast to be minus 12 celsius at kick-off time in Dortmund. Apparently UEFA rules say no games if below minus 15 with little wind or below minus 10 with wind.

6. RK says:

They should play from March to November to avoid this.

7. bluexmas says:

Good for Coach Bradley. It shows a lot about him that he didn’t just take a flight home.

8. 99 says:

now we see why playing in montreal/toronto/nyc/columbus/et al wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense if we mimicked the european schedule.

big ups to bob bradley. he deserves so much respect for marching. he’s definitely put himself out there. it speaks volumes for his character.

9. Jamie Z. says:

Agreed. I hold Bob in the highest regard and appreciate his years of service.

10. Jamie Z. says:

Exactly. Man of Steel.

11. Jamie Z. says:

In regard to the Terry news: regardless of what comes of this racism thing, it’s a universally known and accepted fact that John Terry is a total twat and always will be. Unless there are no other players in the England team than ten Ashley Coles, there are better options for the captaincy.

12. Toumba says:

Talk about opposites…..Bob Bradley and John Terry.

Bob is and always has conducted himself in a classy manner. John Terry has a history of being gigantic knob.

I hope Bob stays safe and finds a way to help Egypt heal and grow.

I hope John Terry transfers to Liverpool so he can be surrounded by other people like him.

13. Modibo says:

Yeah, props to Bradley for this.
    He’s clearly not concerned about his job, because he’s surely pissed off SOMEONE in laying out his hand here. If he IS concerned about his job, I hope he has some trusted Egyptian advisors whom he consulted before marching.

14. Ed says:

Bob Bradley has always represented the US well, both as a coach and as a person. Much respect.

15. Michael F. says:

I have always been a Bob Bradley fan since he coached me at a Rutgers Select Soccer Camp in Summer 1987. I learned a lot about him and saw what kind of coach he was. So I was always amazed at the vitriol thrust upon him as US coach. But to hear all this “I love Bob” comments is funny since kindness towards Bob was posted here before. Maybe not you guys specifically but you get what I mean. Look at JK now. What has he done? Is our play any better? More attractive? New philosophy? More wins? Wonder if it would have been better to keep Coach Bradley…

16. MlsHasItRight says:

That’s brilliant. No really I mean that.

17. GSScasual says:

Crazy amounts of respect for Bob… changing the american stereotype… you may not think this, but he is raising the profile of the sport in this country even if he is managing a foreign national team

18. NF says:

Just give it another decade of global warming, and we should be able to play during the winter (just a joke, not starting a political debate).

19. montana matt says:

Bradley is an OG.

20. RNG says:

Got to say– this is Bob Bradley’s finest moment.

In this interview, he comes across as statesmanlike–a real leader, and a man with a heart.

This isn’t just coaching. This is diplomacy. He will win friends for America worldwide.

21. Jamie Z. says:

I’m one of those people who is being supportive of Bob now and I was supportive of him when he was our national team manager. However, I’m also thrilled to have Klinsmann aboard and I’m optimistic about the future of the national team under him.

I find these two sentiments to be in no way mutually exclusive. I respect Bob as a person and appreciate what he has done for the program. I also think Klinsmann is the way forward, and refuse to make snap judgments about his progress and the progress of the program based on less than a year with him at the helm. I don’t see where there’s an issue. Bradley put in a good shift and Klinsmann deserves a chance to make the most of his opportunity.

22. NF says:

I wrote the other day that Bradley has a unique opportunity to do good that goes beyond sports. I’m very proud of how he has handled things so far. If he chooses to stick it out, he could become a huge part of the rebuilding process.

23. Jamie Z. says:

Own goal? Olive Garden?

24. NF says:

I always wanted a coach with more experience outside the US, and I’m glad we have one. That doesn’t mean I dislike Bradley as a person or even as a coach. Some Bradley loyalists do not see that distinction.

25. Aguinaga says:

I was a critic of Bradley’s tactics and lineup selections with the US team. It drove me MAD watching the US team under him sometimes. The disagreement stopped there thhough. Since seeing him coach Metro, I’ve always respected his character, his professionalism, and his amazing work ethic. No one can ever challenge him there, on qualities that are obviously much more important than soccer coaching ability. This news about him joining the marchers in protest instead of figuring out how he can Machiavelli any of it into more tenure, more money, or more power (like many other a coach would) speaks worlds about who this typically private guy really is. I’m impressed with that action, at this time in history, in that country! so much more so than I could ever be impressed by any game anyone coaches. If you read this, much respect Bob wherever you are, be safe out there.

26. CSD says:

Mad props to the whole immediate Bradley family. Mom’s sticking it out with her man in Cairo. Michael picking up Italian and doing interviews in the native tongue in the 5th country he has played professionally in at only 24.

27. eddie says:

Coach Bradley needs to get the HELL out of Egypt. You never know about the people in a country like that. It’s unstable and very unsafe. It’s not worth the risk. Hostile environments are never good.

28. jon says:

Well said. This is bigger than soccer. It’s about perceptions of America in a country with a lot of hate and anger. Bob’s obvious sincerity and emotion, and his willingness to put himself out there and join a protest, speak to what a class guy he is, and I’m sure the egyptians see it. What he said at the end of the interview, about unity and coming together during the most difficult times was classic bob — sort of obvious yet also insightfull and really really true.

29. DingDong says:

Did Russia get an exception to that UEFA rule when they decided to move to a winter schedule?

30. jon says:

You may be right (that the rational move is for Bob to get out). But unlike those cowardly security personnel, I don’t think Bob’s the kind of guy, once he’s committed something, to get out of the way to save his own hide.

31. M says:

Offensive Guard but buiilt more like a safety

32. Absolutely. There are so many ripple effects to this; it could arguably be some of the most significant US diplomacy in the middle east since 2001. A single step like this could really change peoples world view.

33. What did Timmy Chandler tackle Bradley too? Omar Gonzalez!

34. Much respect goes out to Mr Bradley. As an outspoken critic of his, there are two thing that I could never question and that is his integrity and his charecter.

35. Ed says:

I’m with you. Always have been a BB fan, hated the abuse he took.

36. TomG says:

BB exudes pure class all the way. I hope he and everyone involved are able to express themselves and still remain safe in that country which has recently been so wracked with instability, tragedy and discontent.

37. vik says:

agreed, class act.

38. Judging Amy says:

Everyone’s already said it and better, but just to add, Coach Bradley is a man of honor, character and a gentleman.

39. TomG says:

In light of all the Bob love, I’d like to make a plea for increased SBI message board civility. I’m not saying this to be condescending or nasty, but to start a dialogue. BB’s integrity and character have always been pretty obvious to even his critics as has been made clear on the board today. Why, then, did the hatred and the nastiness grow so out of control when he was the MNT coach? Can’t we criticize here without trying to destroy people and call for their heads on sticks? You’d think Bob was an inveterate puppy strangler the way he was treated on this board (and others, I’m sure). Hey, I’ve lost my cool before and vented unreasonably, sure. I’m not saying I’m a complete innocent here. I’m just thinking that maybe there should be a line that shouldn’t be crossed and maybe we should consider that this is an actual person we are demonizing, and in some cases, a good and classy person. The reason why I like SBI is that there are a lot of smart folks that express themselves without the vitriol that characterizes Big Soccer and other boards, and it’s a lot more fun to have an actual discussion rather than just trading insults. I think we could probably raise the level a little more, too. Just a thought. Anyone agree or disagree?

40. Re: the trouble in Egypt — has anyone else read HOW SOCCER EXPLAINS THE WORLD – An Unlikely Theory of Globalization by Franklin Foer.

It talks about how soccer fans (who aren’t really fans of soccer) control mobs for political reasons.

41. Mark says:

Kudos to Bob. Class act. Guy is a great coach and even better person…

42. jon says:

Agree with the sentiment. One of the great things about SBI, are all the thoughtful, knowledgeable commenters. Even so, a few angry, insulting posters can totally hijack and ruin a thread (much like a few thuggish soccer fans can). Cheers to continuing to raise the level!!!

43. TomG says:

Nope, but it sounds interesting. Did you buy it, or was it conspiracy theory claptrap? Worth a read?

44. Dan says:

Slightly off topic, but does anybody have a link to Michael Bradley conducting an interview in Italian?

45. jon says:

Further on that point, I recall a time whenever Michael got a DNP for Aston Villa, you’d see 50+ comments howling at Bob, attacking his integrity, alleging nepotism and other worse things (to be distinguished from those that expressed disagreement re tactics)… Those comments seemed to disappear after Michael had a very strong gold cup (although some suggested Bob had conspired to make Michael look good…). Sadly, in the anonymous interweb, those angry folks can’t be held accountable for their hateful–and wrong– accusations againt Bob’s character.. The internet’s an easy place to join a mob. Hopefully, those folks are engaging in some self reflection on things they said under cloak of anonymity.

46. jb says:

Wow. Coach Bradley is a courageous man. I wouldnt have thought any less of him at all if he wouldve fled the country. He has moved beyond managing football. Some of our so-called political leaders should observe how a real man leads. I hope we have some Men in Black there to help with his security. Stay safe Coach.

47. Ted in MN says:

Should be standard at this point

48. Paula says:

Good for Bob, and good for England.

49. TomG says:

Thanks Jon, I hope so too. I think following football/soccer is an endeavor involving strong emotions and we all lose our cool from time to time, but I think it’s important to remind ourselves now and again that this isn’t just an anonymous, self-directed forum for venting emotion and that it is much more enjoyable and rewarding when there’s more civility, perspective, and thoughtfulness on the board rather than just angry ranting.

50. Don Pelayo says:

Strongly disagree.

51. Bob Dobalina says:

The entire Egyptian FA got fired by the government. He no longer has a boss.

52. Michael says:

Agreed. I’ve never understood the fascination with what the coach wears on the sideline. You dress for the occasion. Athletic event = athletic attire, formal ball = tuxedo, research facility with corrosive and/or toxic chemicals = haz-mat suit, etc.

53. Air Jordanz says:

You are welcome to have such an opinion.

54. leftcoastmetro says:

I’d been hoping to find it too, but couldn’t. But I do have this written interview from the Chievo site – apparently he’s a big Risotto and Springsteen fan :)

And he’s getting a lot of respect in Chievo – from what I’m seeing the fans think he’s been great.

55. eddie says:

Safety has to be paramount in the minds of civilized people. Although I agree with you regarding commitment, there’s a point when one has to say, I can’t risk my life in a society the feeds off violence, extreme corruption and barbaric behavior under any circumstances. It’s time to leave until civilized people understand basic humane behavior. Egypt is far from civilized.

56. Dan says:

Thanks for the link. Really amazing that his Italian is so good so quickly. Also, funny that Shawshank Redemption is called “Le ali della libertà” in Italy.

57. Yevgeniy says:

Please keep in mind that the actual game days in Russia are not changing. They will just have a 3-month break in the middle of their championship and a month-and a half break between the 2 championships. Same as Ukraine. Stupid, I think

58. Air Jordanz says:

I have mixed feelings on the Bob Bradley issue. Personally, I don’t think we should keep any coach through multiple WC cycles, but after we decided to stick with him, switching things up 1 yr in was kind of crappy. Basically, he was punished for making 1 poor roster selection in the GC (Bornstein over…another LB).

That said, I liked the direction Bob was headed before his dismissal (i.e. players he was rumored to have contacted regarding future call ups).

I have to admit, though, we probably have a better chance of locking down Fabian Johnson and Terrence Boyd with Klinsmann in charge.

59. abc says:

“Talk about opposites…..Bob Bradley and John Terry.”

60. leftcoastmetro says:

Yeah, had to google that myself. In Italy foreign movie names always get changed for no obvious reason. In this case, “Shawshank” may just have been too hard to pronounce.

61. abc says:

Well he got him fired by not being at the Gold Cup. Up 2-0 against Mexico, Bedoya injures Cherundolo, Bornstein comes in with Lichaj moving to RB, we lose 4-2. I know Chandler’s job at Nurnberg wasn’t solidified at that point so he did the right thing by listening to his club and staying in Germany, but had he been available at the Gold Cup the US probably wins and Bradley is still coach.

62. jon says:

But if all educated well-off members of Egyption society make the same decision (flee)then things won’t get better. The strong, stable and smart–bradley types–must stay and work together with bravery if Egypt is to get to a better place. That said, I wouldn’t criticize bradley if went elsewhere.

63. 20 says:

Agree 100%, he’s up there as one of the biggest douches in sports

64. 20 says:

Mad respect for Bob. I’ve always thought that he seemed an all around good man

65. Neal says:

Worth a read

66. Rasta Dan says:

I think he fits in just fine at chelsea.

67. Dennis says:

Whatever you may think of Bob Bradley’s coaching, I think you must admire his personal integrity, commitment, compassion and sincerity.

68. Ricardo says:

Great book, SoCal Mom…never knew one that wasn’t purdy!

69. chuck says:

so proud of bob bradley for standing with the people, today he’s a hero to me. I miss you bob

70. I found most of How Soccer Explains the World interesting — but a better read is

SOCCERNOMICS:Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why The U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey — and Even Iraq — Are Destined to Become the Kings of the World’s Most Popular Sport (which should get a prize for the longest title).

SOCCERNOMICS is an easier read, and has a lot of good information. I recommend it.

71. eddie says:

Education hasn’t removed barbaric behavior, corruption and a culture of lies in almost 60 years of so called reforms. It’s a socialized, cultural behavior that plagues even the most elite in there society. Egypt is not safe and very uncivilized.

72. pd says:

This is about classiest thing he’s ever done. Very proud that he is part of US soccer.

73. pd says:

Wondering what your definition of uncivilized is before I give my two cents.

74. eddie says:

Let’s be frank, Morocco, Egypt and the rest of North Africa, Middle East survives from a social structure of corruption from the top down to the commoner. Violence is a means to solve all their issues, again from the top down to the commoner. It’s a cultural aspect I’ve witness first hand and experienced, after traveling there. I’ll never set foot in that part of the world again. They pride themselves on violence, lying, stealing and cheating. Modern civilized nations have a culture among mainstream citizens who respect, dignify, exemplify good social behavior and respect the law. Egypt is unsafe, no doubt. More and more Americans are targets of kidnapping, exploitation, manipulation, deceit and all out violence from being in that part of the world. It is so strange in nature, most Americans can’t even begin to comprehend their mentality. It’s ingrained in their culture, their psyche. I’ve experienced this first hand. A dangerous violent place, it most certainly is. God bless America.