By FRANCO PANIZO
Days after his head coach cited a lack of progress as a reason for his benching, Jozy Altidore responded in a big way.
In his first start for AZ Alkmaar in 2012, Altidore bagged a brace in the club's 3-3 draw with Heerenveen. Altidore scored the game's opener when he received the ball with his back to goal, turned and fired a shot to the near post. He added his 13th of the season across all competitions in the second half by receiving a pass and slotting home a shot from 13 yards out. Altidore nearly completed a hat-trick, but a shot on a breakaway skimmed just wide.
Herculez Gomez also found the back of the net, opening his scoring account with Santos Laguna with a sublime header. The goal cut Santos' deficit against Chivas de Guadalajara to 2-1, and Gomez could have been the hero had he not missed a potential tying penalty kick in the waning moments of the match.
A third player got on his team's scoresheet this weekend as well. U.S. Under-23 men's national team midfielder Joe Corona scored his first goal of the Clausura campaign for Club Tijuana in their 1-1 draw with Toluca. Corona started and played 57 minutes in the game.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard and Everton did not play this weekend.
- Marcus Hahnemann and Everton did not play this weekend.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 1-0 win vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 3 saves in Tottenham Hotspur's 5-2 loss vs. Arsenal on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 0-0 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 3-0 loss vs. Chelsea on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes for Bolton Wanderers.
- Zak Whitbread started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in Norwich City's 2-1 loss vs. Manchester United on Sunday.
- Adam Henley dressed but did not play in Blackburn Rovers' 3-0 loss vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 2-1 loss vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle and Derby County did not play this weekend.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 2-1 win vs. Birmingham on Saturday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Daniel Potts dressed but did not play in West Ham United's 0-0 draw vs. Crystal Palace on Sunday.
- George John did not dress for West Ham United.
- Robbie Rogers did not dress in Leeds United's 0-0 draw vs. Portsmouth on Saturday. He is recovering from a concussion.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 3-2 win vs. Yeovil Town on Saturday.
- Anton Peterlin started and played 90 minutes in Walsall's 0-0 draw vs. Preston North End on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 minutes in Rangers' 4-1 win vs. Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes for Rangers.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress for Rangers. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 1-0 win vs. Motherwell on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley did not dress in Chievo Verona's 1-0 win vs. Cesena on Sunday. He was suspended due to yellow card accumulation.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 3-1 loss vs. Borussia Dortmund on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 2-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Sunday. He is currently serving an eight-week suspension and recovering from a calf injury.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 1-0 win vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 2-1 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in Borussia Dortmund's 3-1 win vs. Hannover 96 on Sunday.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench, played 22 minutes and received a yellow card in Hertha Berlin's 3-0 loss vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday.
- David Yelldell dressed but did not play in Bayer Leverkusen's 2-0 win vs. FC Cologne on Saturday.
- Luis Robles did not dress in Karlsruher SC's 2-1 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Sunday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 1-0 win vs. FC Union Berlin on Friday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Matt Taylor came off the bench and played 1 minute in SC Paderborn 07's 4-2 win vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Sunday.
- Quentin Westberg did not dress in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 2-0 win vs. AS Nancy Lorraine on Saturday.
- Charlie Davies came off the bench and played 12 minutes in Sochaux's 2-0 loss vs. Toulose on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in AZ Alkmaar's 3-3 draw vs. Heerenveen on Sunday. You can see the goals here.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Sporting CP's 1-0 win vs. Rio Ave on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes RSC Anderlecht's 0-0 draw vs. Lierse on Sunday.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in KAA Gent's 2-0 win vs. RAEC Bergen Mons on Saturday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 1-1 draw vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench, played 45 minutes, scored a GOAL and missed a potential tying penalty kick in Santos Laguna's 2-1 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress Atlante's 4-0 loss vs. America on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 1-1 draw vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 61 minutes in Puebla's 2-1 loss vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Adrian Ruelas did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas' 1-0 win vs. Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G. on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal dressed but did not play in San Luis' 1-0 loss vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana's 1-1 draw vs. Toluca on Saturday.
- Joe Corona started, played 58 minutes and scored a GOAL for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana. He is currently with the U.S. Under-23 men's national team.
What do you think of these performances? How impressed are you by Altidore's outing? Do you think Gomez will start scoring in bunches? How many goals do you see Corona scoring this season?
Share your thoughts below.