Rogers agrees to join Leeds United

USMNTMJ090211018

photo by Michael Janosz/ISIphotos.com

Robbie Rogers made it no secret that he wanted to play abroad once his MLS contract expired at the end of last season.

It appears his wish has been granted.

Rogers has agreed to join Championship club Leeds United, subject to him securing a work permit. The 24-year-old U.S. international had spent time trialing with the club, and manager Simon Grayson is thrilled about the potential capture.

Should Rogers be granted a work permit, the former Columbus Crew midfielder would join a list of Americans that have played for the club, including Mike Grella, Eric Lichaj and Eddie Lewis.

What do you think of Rogers joining Leeds United? Think he will do well in the Championship?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Rogers agrees to join Leeds United

1. Tom says:

This is great for him. I always felt like he underperformed on the national team because he was so rarely exposed to competition at that level. Take away the glass ceiling, folks! I hope he excels!

2. Matt says:

Gonzalez certainly never will play outside of North America. At least not till someone takes him out.

3. john.q says:

lets hope he take the Leed at the club… getit??

4. Mark says:

Eric Lichaj has been on loan at Leeds in the past too.

5. Julio Suraz says:

I hope this means playing time and not just reserve team matches as he rots on the bench

6. NE Matt says:

as has GK paul rachubka

7. RevsFan says:

Hope his visa can be sorted out quickly. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t automatically qualify since he was on spot duty for the USMNT (though the move would sure suggest Klinsmann was trying to help him by calling him in).

8. Wendell Gee says:

According to BBC he does not qualify for a qork permit and Leeds will have to appeal.

9. fischy says:

Except that Rogers isn’t going on a loan. He’s signing a contract with Leeds. So, it’s more like Mike Grella, who has a Leeds deal.

10. RWB says:

Rogers would be an intriguing talent if he were 7 years younger. Instead, I just don’t see any of his game developing further.

I like him as a kid but I think his game has peaked. I’d love to be wrong though.

11. MensreaJim says:

Yeah, I don’t see how he could. We haven’t run into this too many times, does anyone know what the other criteria to consider on appeal are?

12. Brian says:

If Bedoya and Findley got one I don’t think Rogers will have a problem winning his appeal.

13. Alexandria says:

I love all the talk about the level of play come on guys this is a lateral move he makes more money he’s in “Europe” but Leeds couldn’t beat real salt lake and y’allknow it. Rogers move is good because it was time for him to go he was sulking all over the field for Columbus and hasn’t been the same since Stuart and Sasha left that’s it.

14. NE Matt says:

True, although Paul and Eric have “suited up” for Leeds

15. MJD says:

does. not. compute.

16. Rlw2020 says:

Haha what? Columbus hasnt been the same since sasha left chivas? Or stu left houston? I think your memory is blending all the below average teams together …

True point tho about the english championship being a lateral move. Good move for rodgers tho more money and you could tell he was not motivated at columbus..

17. john.q says:

i just hope this opportunity doesnt Leed to no where… knowwhatimean?

18. Alexandria says:

What? I mean his friends are gone so its like when all your friends are seniors and they graduate your senior year sucks cause your alone so you get through it but at first chance you bolt ala Rogers.

19. Robert Daniels says:

He’s a born LEEDer that’s for sure.

20. marco says:

Think he will do well in the Championship?

21. MC Pharaoh says:

Huh? What level? Its the Championship… The championship’s quality is a bit better than MLS as I see MLS a mixture of the Championship & League 1, but acting like its a whole new level? Rogers will just be a decent Championship player as he was this past season for Crew.

22. Yevgeniy says:

Post like this annoy me a lot more than posts from people bashing soccer. If this was written by some snobbish Brit,
    I can live with it. But from a US fan… “competition at THAT level”. Do you think Championship is so much better than MLS that it’s on a different level? You can talk about better payday, new challenge, but the levels are comparable. I am pretty sure that a lot of people who were bashing Tim Ream will be salivating over him in 2 months just because he now plays in Europe.

23. Fred says:

I don’t think MLS –> Championship is a lateral move, I think that overrates MLS. I think MLS is more on a par with League One.

24. Cairo says:

Good for Robbie Rogers. He’s still super fast, and maybe the new challenge and a different coach will lead to more development from him. People have sort of written him off, but there will always be a place for a pacey winger with decent touch. I think he’ll do better than his run at Columbus suggests.

25. Dinho says:

Bedoya’s requirements weren’t as harsh in Scotland. Findley played quite a few games for the USMNT in the year prior to his signing(as sad as it is to say). I think Rogers has a hard time.

26. Dinho says:

Sorry, Robbie, but unless you increase your speed of play and thought process (similar things, I know), you will get murdered in the Championship. Some say (and I don’t necessarily disagree) that it is even faster than the Prem. Rogers’ biggest problem will be exposed unless he learns how to play quickly…hoping he does because he has the tools to be solid.

27. Keith G. says:

I think this is a bad move to the Championship, as the MLS is deffently better then that league. Any team in the MLS would win that league. I feel Rogers could have done better and signed with a lower EPL team. Playing with Leeds will not help him get on the World Cup sqaud, and would have had a better chance making the team in the MLS. Now I understand that he wants to try play abroad, but I would have tried one of the other Scotland or Holland before going to the English 2nd division. I do wish him the best of luck and hope he can help Leeds get to the EPL.

28. chris says:

You have obviously never watched league 1

29. Eric says:

I don’t know that I agree with that. I would place MLS about level with the championship honestly, with the best teams (RSL, LA, Seattle, etc) making a push for the premiership most of the time but not dominating while the worst teams (New England, Vancouver, so on) would be fighting to remain up. It’s pretty much a lateral move that provides better pay and more exposure to european scouts and for the national team. Even though the championship skill wise is on par with MLS, I’d say their teams are deeper and that league is much more intense simply due to relegation and promotion. He’ll be playing at the same skill level, just more intensity and pressure.

Also, Scotland? Really? Unless you play for Celtic or Rangers, it’s really not a good league to be in. I really prefer we keep our players away from there.

30. chris says:

Leeds is better than columbus

31. Goalscorer24 says:

How did Grella sign with Leeds with no national team callups?

32. biff says:

It’s great that Rogers has the gonads to follow his dream, even if it leads only to a second league. He is only 24 and lightening fast, so still has growth potential. And, quite frankly, he probably is at least doubling or tripling his salary. (MLS needs to quit wasting millions on over-the-hill players no longer wanted in Europe and instead pay better salaries not only to the potential starlets like Tim Ream and George John who are being paid miserably, but to the Average Joes.) And who knows, maybe Rogers will be playing in the Premiere league in August. Leeds is now in 8th place, only 1 point from the promotion play zone. Would love to see it.

33. Nicholas says:

Leeds only a point out of the playoff spot. It will look brilliant if he helps them gain promotion and seals a place for next year….but yeah, concur on the comments about the Championship not being better than MLS.

34. Ernie says:

Really though, MLS is more like League One with some of the worst teams being League Two-quality. Remember this is a league that a League Two striker like Luke Rodgers is tearing apart.

35. DeLarge says:

He had an Italian passport.

36. Matt says:

Agree with MC Pharoah that level of play is similar, BUT, I guess (I don’t know) that competition for playing time, level of competitive pressure, etc. may be marginally higher in the Championship, which may help Rogers develop more consistency,confidence,competitive fire, etc. It won’t transform him into a world-beater, but it may help his development. (Whether that improvement would be enough to make him a contributor at the international level remains to be seen.)

37. SD says:

grella is an italian passport holder…and he is no longer at leeds…he’s in league one

38. Alexandria says:

Ernie scouts don’t look to league 1 or 2 for players unless they ate under 18. Secondly go look at the comments from managers from Europe they all say MLS is lower Prem upper championship.And Luke Rogers benefits from having better players around him unlike his league 2 team he basically has to make an elementary run and the ball is at his foot or head he plays next to Henry that’s enough said right there.

39. Vic says:

Good for Rogers, but who really cares how it will effect his play. He doesn’t have the quality to be instrumental for the US Nations team. I wish him well and its good to see an American player getting a decent paycheck.

40. abc says:

If even Brian Clough couldn’t succeed at Leeds what chance does Rogers have?

41. bryan says:

not true. i love MLS, but the championship is at the same level. i would even go as far to say the pressure on players in that league is greater than players in MLS…except for maybe LA and NY.

42. bryan says:

unfortunately, you can’t do one without the other. by paying those “over-the-hill” stars, you bring in a lot of revenue. revenue which helps build the teams and the league. which in the end will lead to higher salaries for all.

43. allouez86 says:

This is great, if he doesn’t succeed there, who cares? But this is a great opportunity to really succeed and build something.

44. allouez86 says:

that was horrible. never again please ;)

45. Bubba says:

Former MLSer Ramon Nunez calls Leeds home.

46. gigi says:

Hopefully he can be one of the pieces to bring leeds back home to the premier league. However, leeds needs imo needs to splash some more cash if they intend to get promoted. Even if they dont wanna spend money on a transfer try and get Lukaku and McEachran on loan and try and beef up their defense with perhaps mario yepes. I would love to see them back in the premier league, but they need some cash money baby

47. biff says:

I think that may have been true a few years ago, but I don’t think it is anymore. I would bet a lot of money, maybe $10 or so, that if you pulled the top 10 paid MLS players out of the picture, that MLS revenue would not drop. I just can imagine people buying tickets to see Rafa Marquez.

48. primoone says:

Bornstien > rogers

49. jgomezceiinc@hotmail.com says:

Southampton, West Ham, Cardiff, Middlesbourgh,Reading, Hull, Blackpool, Leeds, Birmingham, and Derby. I do enjoy watching MLS because it is fun to watch homegrown players, but to think that MLS compares to the Championship makes me believe that many of you are possibly drunk. I watched nearly all the MLS Playoff games and did not see a team that could consistently challenge a Championship club. We do have many athletes and the leauge is progressing towards being able to compete with such clubs, but is still 10 years away. It has nothing to do with talent, it is the understanding of the game and the knowledge of the system that the team is running that make these teams so much better. Again, so I dont get murdered by many of you…… I believe we have the talent to compete, just not the understanding of the game. I believe we will get there eventually! Just look at the growing number of US Players playing in the Prem league and Championship. But as team play, coaching and continuous player development go we are quite a ways off.

50. GW says:

You rate the Championship a bit below where I would.

Leeds is at least a top half team in the Chmapionship.

Given how frequently some teams yo-yo up and down it’s fair to assume the top 3-4 teams are as good as the bottom 3-4 in the EPL.

And Leeds, who, about halfway through, currently sit about 8th in a 24 team league with a reasonable shot at the playoffs and promotion, have been preparing for promotion for a while.

So if you think about it, it’s likely that the level of competition that Rogers will see with Leeds (both from without and within) should be consistently higher than what he faced in Columbus last year, if only because they will probably be in the hunt for promotion.

Any PT he gets will be well earned and the overall pressure on him should be much greater.

51. Preston says:

You mean he’s a Fake American! Or is he a Fake Italian!

52. GW says:

biff,

If the people in charge of MLS agreed with the logic behind your bet, don’t you think they would pull those top 10 players in a heartbeat?

Employees are generally your largest expense and all good business people are always looking to cut cost in that area.

Why would they spend all that money if they did not really, really have to?

Would you?

53. GW says:

Clough was trying to manage them. Rogers is just a player.

Different job requirements and expectations.

54. GW says:

He may be but not as a player.

55. abc says:

I wasn’t being serious…

56. biff says:

well, I think sometimes people and organizations get stuck in ruts, sort of: well, we do it that way because we have always done it that way. Although I think common sense shoudl tell the owners that paygni Rafa Marquez millions does not increase Red Bull revenue, maybe MLS should commission a study from one of the big advising firms and see what the results are.

57. primoone says: