Mid-Day Ticker: Subotic under investigation, USA U23s tie and more

Neven Subotic (Reuters)

By FRANCO PANIZO

Neven Subotic is one of the top young centerbacks playing in Europe, but his future is under threat after Geman authorities opened a sexual assault investigation against him.

Subotic and three others are under investigation after a 21-year-old woman claimed she was the victim of a sexual assault. According to the victim, the incident happened after a private party at Subotic's residence.

No word on how long the investigation could last, but it is an untimely blow for Subotic, who recently returned to Borussia Dortmund's starting lineup after two months on the sidelines with facial fractures.

Here are more stories to keep your day rolling:

USA U23 TEAM PLAYS TO SCORELESS DRAW WITH SAPRISSA RESERVES

On the same day the U.S. men's national team defeated Venezuela, U.S. Under-23 head coach Caleb Porter saw his side play to a scoreless draw against Saprissa's reserves in Costa Rica. The game, which was played at Estadio Ricardo Saprissa, saw both teams create chances but neither was able to capitalize.

Here is the U.S. team's starting lineup:

Zac MacMath; Kofi Sarkodie (Sheanon Williams, 77), Zarek Valentin (capt.) (19-Royal-Dominique Fennell, 77), Sebastien Ibeagha (Andrew Wenger, 46), Jorge Villafana; Amobi Okugo (Mix Diskerud, 46), Jared Jeffrey (Michael Stephens, 61), Dilly Duka (Isaac Acuna, 67); Freddy Adu, Tony Taylor (Jack McInerney, 70), Jack McInerney (Joe Corona, 46)

The U.S. U-23 team will wrap up its January camp with a scrimmage against Alajuelense.

BALOTELLI CHARGED FOR VIOLENT CONDUCT BY FA

Mario Balotelli just cannot get away from making headlines for all the wrong reasons. Balotelli has been charged by the FA for violent conduct following an incident with Scott Parker in Manchester City's 3-2 win over Tottenham on Sunday. The incident occurred when Balotelli caught Parker in the head with one foot before proceeding to stomping on him with the other. Balotelli could face a four-match ban for his actions.

AC MILAN BACK IN FOR TEVEZ

AC Milan has reentered the Carlos Tevez sweepstakes, hoping it can sign the Manchester City forward before the end of the winter transfer window next week. Milan had pulled out of conversations for Tevez earlier this month but it is back in the race for his signature, according to club president Adriano Galliani. Tevez has previously stated his desire to play for the Rossoneri, but Inter Milan and Paris Saint-Germain are also in the mix to sign the Argentine international.

BILYALETDINOV SET FOR MOVE AWAY FROM EVERTON

Diniyar Bilyaletdinov has not performed as well as expected since joining Everton in 2009, and the Toffees are set to let him go. Everton has agreed to a transfer deal with Spartak Moscow for Bilyaletdinov. The Russian international has already agreed to personal terms, but needs to pass a medical in Moscow in the coming days to finalize the transfer.

——

What do you make of the investigation being opened on Subotic? Think a scoreless draw with the Saprissa reserves is a good result for Porter and the U.S. U-23 team? Do you see Tevez signing with AC Milan? How do you look back on Bilyaletdinov's time with Everton?

This entry was posted in European Soccer, U.S. Men's Olympic Team. Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to Mid-Day Ticker: Subotic under investigation, USA U23s tie and more

1. J.M. says:

A sign a permanent deal for Landon is in the works? Clearing salary money and reinvesting the transfer fee?

2. Jon Smith says:

Subotic is still the best American defender.

3. fxb says:

I know athletes in many sports are sexual deviants, but I feel like soccer players are especially scumbaggish.

4. wides says:

Doubt it, but you never know. They have more needs than one “older” American can address. The banks will only allow them to reinvest a portion of that money… and they’d have to sell a bunch more to afford LD.

Anyone heard a ballpark figure that MLS would accept for LD? $10m ?

5. XPK says:

As a Spurs fan, the belated punishment of Balotelli is somewhat frustrating (though still appreciated). Had he been sent off that game ends in a draw or better for Spurs.

6. Poo says:

Everton are so poor it may just be making room to pay Edson Buddles salary if the like him on trial.

7. AK says:

Balotelli can go hang out with Pepe and Mourinho. They can swap stories and sympathize about how everyone hates them. Woe is me!

8. J.M. says:

That is a depressing thought. Well, one can hope…

9. Eurosnob says:

Gooch is better.

10. Dinho says:

Gooch is not a good soccer player, sorry.

11. T says:

alot of parties have sexual assaults taking place, trust me its the truth and “I know”.

12. wilyboy says:

Compared to who?

Don’t tell me your comparing him to your top 5 defenders you ADORE for AC Milan, Barca, Man City.

That’s like saying Dempsey isn’t a good soccer player because someone has scored more than him in the EPL this season.

13. Dirk a Dirk says:

Yes he is. Sorry.

14. Dirk a Dirk says:

Now I’m glad Subotic is not playing for us. If true, glad we don’t have this scumbag playing for us.

15. GSScasual says:

Subotic went the route of Rossi, correct? in that case, GFY san diego, i dont care.

16. Mig22 says:

Ok, I was always sort of a Tevez fan but do SBI readers agree that the world just HAS to be sick of hearing whether he is transferring, going back to ManCity, playing golf, sleeping with animals, or whatever. Thoughts?

17. malkin says:

Normally I’m quick to disparage the victim, but in this case I’ll blame the traitor

18. hush says:

89Mil and some twinkies last time I heard.Jk.. 12mil was the rumor a few years ago.

19. MC Pharaoh says:

The best defender for Sporting Lisbon is indeed a “good soccer player”. & to Jon… Once you turn your back on the US when the country needs you to play for one of many eligible nations, he is no longer an “American defender”.

20. hush says:

Damn hoochies always looking to get payed no matter who they hurt!… first Bieber now Subotic!

21. NE Matt says:

looks like he didn’t impress enough in his trial:

link to donaukurier.de

22. bryan says:

i’d love a deeper analysis/recap of the U-23 game.

23. Alex says:

Based on what? Honest question, not being facetious.

24. Vic says:

MLS should let Landon go to Everton if that’s his wish. Landon has done more than enough for Galaxy/MLS. Let him go for 5 million. Save another 5 million for the next two years and thats plenty of money for a well known DP. Landon will be 30 in March. He has only a few more years left at a high level, than he could come back to LA if they’re still interested.

25. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Except Subotic is not American

26. VADCUfan says:

Ah troll-age, how many games have you actually watched Gooch play at Sporting CP?

27. matt says:

US citizenship is not contingent on what country one chooses to represent on the soccer field. While Subotic may not be a ‘Nats defender, he is certainly still an “American defender.”

28. Tyler says:

Cognitive dissonance FTW!

29. fischy says:

I could be wrong about this, but I don’t think he is an American — not a citizen, anyway. He might have had residency status, but I doubt that, too — he was a kid when he was here.

30. fischy says:

What if it’s not true?

31. Jamie Z. says:

You’re normally quick to disparage the victim of sexual assault?

What?

32. Kosh says:

Bet you if you were the LA Galaxy you wouldn’t hold that opinion. Sorry but this is a business and…hold a second, we don’t even know if Donovan even wants to go.

I bet if he wanted the move, LA would probably fight a bit but they maybe would let it happen. I mean they have Frank Lampard on speed dial and all. But the move wuld still have to make sense, business sense.

5 mil for Donovan? Seriously? Older players transfer all the time and trust me some of them go for waaay more than that – as should be the case for Donovan because he is worth waaaay more than that. 30 is young, look at what Becks is doing at 36.

33. Jamie Z. says:

To be fair, just having a goatee like Subotic’s should be enough to arouse suspicion of sexual misconduct.

34. Kevin_amold says:

This has to be a sarcastic comment.

35. MiamiAl says:

Why is this an either/or situation. I think there is a way you can blame BOTH the victim and the Traitor…

36. fischy says:

Wait a second! Who said Donovan wants to go permanently to Everton now?

Aren’t you getting a little bit ahead of yourself? Everything he’s said on the subject indicates he wants to be in LA this year.

37. fischy says:

Wow. I’m gonna go shave right now.

38. Gottasayit says:

Frankly, the beautiful game is pretty much tied to (Western) Europe and, unfortunately, (Western) Europe is pretty much scumbaggish in that regard.

39. Joe Creighton says:

hahaha. lol.

well played.

40. CG says:

I simply do not understand this sentiment. Why? Why should MLS let him go – especially on the cheap? What does MLS owe the national team or Landon Donovan? He’s been paid well, by all accounts he’s happy in LA, and they own his contract. MLS does not owe anyone except the fans and investors anything, particularly the USMNT. Who even says LD wants to stay at Everton?

MLS is a business. Just like La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, and everyone else underneath and/or in between. I love the USMNT as much as the next guy, but MLS does not need to let Donovan go. When it’s “worth” it for MLS to let him go, they will do it. Altidore’s gone, Adu left, Howard, Bocanegra, Dempsey, McBride… on and on. All got MLS value or more. You want to blame someone, blame Everton, not MLS.

What does MLS owe Donovan/Twellman/John/USA/etc.? In my opinion, they owe it to themselves and the fans to put the best product out on the market for us. LD is getting his. He signed the contract (gladly, by the way). He gets released on FIFA dates. It’s not a perfect system. I’ll grant anyone that, but it’s been successful.

41. Dinho says:

I’m not trolling.

He is a big guy that can jump high and run fairly fast, but he is not good (at all) with the ball at his feet.

To me (I’m sorry if you disagree), that means he is not a good soccer player. I did not say he was a bad “defender.” That is a different story. Just saying.

42. Joe Creighton says:

Please do that, woman only like the stubble look, full beards, or clean shaven.

Nothing in between, it smacks of stupidity.

43. Angel of LA says:

I don’t like Balotelli attitude but he is a good player, and he has been charge for the stompt. At first it was an accident but when he brought the other leg down again it look like he did it intentionally but still with some doubts. But at least he been charge not like in La Liga where everyone got to see for every from every angle how intentionally PEPE stomp on Messi Hand and he hasn’t even got charged or ever been question about it. It’s true that La Liga have preference for Real Madrid and Barcelona even tho I’m Barca fan. But letting this thing go with Pepe from Real Madrid it say a lot bad this about La Liga

44. CG says:

What kosh and fischy said. Should have waited a few minutes…

45. Joe Creighton says:

I apologize, the only other alternative to the aforementioned is the mustache, it is a timeless classic.

46. john.q says:

silly internet! guilty until proven innocent i see!

47. wilyboy says:

Well, that’s his job. He’s good at his job, but not good at his profession?

You’re ridiculous.

48. Mark says:

i agree with everything you said, but you’re repeating yourself. you should have stopped typing after the 33rd sentence.

49. Andy says:

That’s what Subotic gets for choosing Eastern European influences over good, wholesome American friends. Donovan and Dempsey would never rape a 21 year old. Just saying.

50. mug says:

Subotic is hardly Ameican. Born in Bosnia, moved to Germany, then came to the States for a few years. I wish he would have chosen the US. I like Gooch but Subotic is better. That being said… ‘F” him and the horse he rode in on.

51. fischy says:

Wow. Time to move on to another topic. Fast.

52. Will says:

I’m very skeptical of everything Balotelli does, but for some reason this didn’t seem intentional to me. I almost feel like if anyone else from City had been the culprit (besides De Jong) it wouldn’t be such an issue.

53. CG says:

I agree. Get a little too “hot” sometimes and the MLS supporter in me comes out.. the third paragraph is def. redundant. I love the league though and so sometimes I get a little… (just kidding)

54. T says:

I’ve heard of rapings at parties, trust me “I Know”. :-|

55. Joe Creighton says:

Can o worms opened

56. Powderhorn Pops says:

Yes, and it’s unfortunate that a negative story about an alleged sexual assault takes precedent. Obviously, from the comments, SBI know what the readers want.

I’m just happy that there were no injuries after playing at that joke of a stadium on that joke of “pitch”

57. RK says:

fisch, I think you are right.

58. Dinho says:

Ridiculous?

Come on, wilyboy, no need to get flustered. There’s so much more to defending than just kicking the ball away or heading a ball out. you know that, right?

59. Ryan in NY from NC says:

Do you know that in order to be a starting CB for Sporting Lisbon you have to be “good.” Do you know that to be named to 2 World Cup rosters, a player has to be a little more than “good.”

The fact that you think Gooch isn’t “a good defender” is laughable. He has bad games and good games like every other player. Grow up and stop playin’ yourself.

60. MemRook says:

I have two differing responses to this; where there is smoke there is fire. And, it’s a darn good thing that the good people of the Internet aren’t charged with meting out justice.

61. danny says:

I’ll take the bait, but yes Dinho is right: Gooch is not a good soccer player. He’s the kinda player you like to have on your team, but he has severe limitations while excelling in a couple areas. BTW: just because he started for the US in a couple world clubs and did well in Belgium and Portugal does not make him “a little more than good.” How’d he do in those 2 world cups btw? Hopefully having defenders like Gooch as key starters for the US NATS will be a thing of the past- those old days when the US lacked enough quality to play any sort of possession.

62. CJ says:

You nailed it.

63. ronniet says:

if thats your assessment of goochs’ abilities then clearly you didn’t see him play for the nats against Ecuador(or maybe it was Costa Rica) when his passes were on point the whole game and he even made a marauding run around the 18yd box, laying off a threatening pass to duece, that should have led to a goal…Gooch is back at his best and Portugal has done wonders for his passing and newfound attacking acumen!

64. yeah says:

Subotic was never an American. He just happened to be in Bradenton for a few years where he was spotted by US youth coaches.

65. XPK says:

I agree that the Pepe one is undeniably intentional, and I have no idea what in the world La Liga is thinking by not punishing him. Perhaps Messi requested that he would prefer destroying Pepe on the field rather than have him suspended for the 2nd leg?

66. PD says:

I dunno I always that though that centerback was actually a two person job, on bigger dude who can be dominant on set plays and fending off crosses and a smaller dude who is best with the ball at his feet… I guess because traditional thinking is that it’s rare to find both qualities in one player. With that being said, I think Gooch fits the definition being a good soccer player. I don’t want to see him lining up as a second striker, but that’s not necessary. He does his job quite well, and last I checked he got paid a lot more to play a sport that all of us can’t even get paid to talk about, so…

67. Hi,

Nice article…Thanks for sharing this…Mid-Day Ticker: Subotic under investigation, USA U23s tie and more. By FRANCO PANIZO. Neven Subotic is one of the top young centerbacks …

Gurpreet Mann

68. dan says:

SUCK IT TRAITOR!

69. RNG says:

Or, for another analogy– it’s like saying Shaq isn’t a good basketball player, cause he can’t dribble and he can’t shoot free throws. But you sure would want him on your team,

Not every player has to have every element of the complete skill set to be a key member of your team.

70. Dirk a Dirk says:

Then I would wish he chose us. Pretty simple logic. quit trying to stir S**t.

71. primoone says: