Rowe signs Generation adidas deal with MLS

Kelyn Rowe (ISIPhotos.com)

With the 2012 MLS Draft just two weeks away, the 2012 MLS Generation adidas class took a step closer to being completed after the signing of the highest-rated unsigned underclassman.

UCLA playmaker Kelyn Rowe has signed a Generation adidas deal, sources told SBI on Wednesday. Rowe is the fifth player to sign a Generation adidas deal, joining Andrew Wenger, Darren Mattocks, UCLA teammate Chandler Hoffman and Sam Garza.

Rowe was named Pac-10 Player of the Year and helped lead UCLA to the College Cup semifinal. A skilled attacking midfielder who just recently took part in the U.S. Under-23 national team camp in Florida, Rowe is projected to be a Top Four pick in the upcoming MLS Draft.

Rowe's signing leaves University of North Carolina stars Billy Schuler and Enzo Martinez as the lone remaining top Generation adidas targets yet to sign with MLS. Schuler is weighing offers in Sweden.

This entry was posted in MLS Draft 2012. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Rowe signs Generation adidas deal with MLS

1. Ricky B. Free says:

Great!!!

2. Mulletron says:

Great news, especially for Revolution fans.

3. Jon says:

The Revs fans no longer have to hope for Mattocks or Wenger dropping down to the #3 spot. They will be happy if they get Rowe at #3 and ecstatic if Mattocks or Wenger fall. They probably could use the later pair more as they need a striker and to shore up the heart of their defense, but Rowe will help them big time. Best of luck to Kelyn and his MLS endeavors.

4. wilyboy says:

Hope both Enzo and Schuler sign, DC could use Enzo. Not really seeing any other candidates who could help us centrally or on the wing in terms of depth the way he could.

5. chris says:

If the Revs can find a quality striker able to play up top on his own (*cough re-sign Caraglio cough*), a central midfield tandem of Feilhaber, Joseph, and Rowe would actually be pretty exciting to watch.

6. Grubbsbl says:

Jay Heaps would ruin a player like Keylon Rowe.

7. Jason says:

I’m ambivalent about this signing, as it looks like almost all the GA players are going to be attacking players, and DC could really use a LB. Still hoping Kemp or Polak get a deal, as I can’t see DC getting much use out of the forwards that would fall to #7.

8. Marc says:

+1, Heaps is a thug

9. Villain-from-Texas says:

I am excited to watch him on MLS. He should be a fun player.

10. fischy says:

Of course, the team does need striker help, too. Townsend might be a good choice.

Then, there’s the left back problem — I’ve been a huge fan of Tyler Polak ever since I first saw him play for the U17s. I would be delighted if DCU picked him.

11. Award says:

Very exciting prospect. I really hope Martinez signs with MLS as well. These are the types of players that need to be playing in MLS exciting technically gifted young players. To bad Rowe couldn’t sign with the Sounders as a a homegrown player. He should more than likely be starting this up coming season for what ever team picks him in the draft.

12. fischy says:

I’m with on the Polak sentiment. As I wrote above, I’ve been watching him for a few years now — and I’ve always been very impressed. I know everyone keeps focusing on the Germans and the British-American left backs, but I still think Tyler is the future USA left back. Maybe not in 2014, but for the 2018 cycle. I wonder if MLS has closed the door on handing out more GA deals, or whether it depends on what happens with Schuler and Martinez.

13. SteveD says:

Kemp played for Rapids Academy so he might be HG for them. No clue if MLS has ruled on this yet or not.

14. Aaron in StL says:

Looks like a special kid

15. Steve 0 says:

Somehow, this guy will wind up in LA. MLS now needs to lock up Schuler and Enzo.

16. Edwin in LA says:

Maybe for Chivas USA….. Galaxy have the 19th pick, that would require 18 teams to be stupid

17. Joe says:

Did he win Pac-10 player of the year or Pac-12 player of the year. Big difference.

18. Joe Blow says:

“big difference”

orly?

considering UCLA Soccer didn’t play Utah or Colorado, I don’t see it being a “big deal”. then again, I’m not retarded either.

19. fischy says:

Then again, maybe you are. Those without serious learning disabilities know that word is considered offensive and perpetuates discrimination, prejudice and ignorance.

20. Joe Blow says:

there’s a “big difference” between your hyperbole and actually being offended.

then again, you were the one that mocked the Occupy movement as lazy, entitled and unemployed kids a few weeks back…so I gather your view on the world is rather isolated.

sorry you were personally offended, even though I know you weren’t. everyone has their “causes”…just like the Occupiers, right?

21. WK says:

How many non-GA picks (seniors) are expected to go in the top 10? I guess what I’m asking is which players a team might pass up a GA player for? Quakes have just signed an experienced CB so I’m wondering if our FO might skip a project for a senior forward that can contribute straight away…

22. sammysounder says:

You all are lucky we didn’t join 2 years earlier or Rowe is Sounders Academy.

23. Dinho says:

Or, for the Galaxy to trade up?

24. Kasey says:

true.. SSFC is buying up in this draft.. All the talent wants to play here

25. EARL says:

i really hope he has some sort of deal worked out with the league where he’ll only go to seattle…

26. Baker says:

Chivas is not LA

27. Devin says:

The revs can have our GA lb tetteh and our pick for Rowe.