Porter names roster for U-23 camp

NCAATQ(R)121020103814

Caleb Porter has named a 28-man roster for his first camp in charge of the U.S. U-23 men's national team, and there's talent aplenty.

Freddy Adu, Teal Bunbury, Mikkel Diskerud and Bill Hamid are just some of the more well-known names in the eight-day camp that will be held in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. The camp will begin on Dec. 15 and run through Dec. 23 at the Premire Sports Campus, which just finished hosting the Nike International Friendlies.

Here is the full roster:

Goalkeepers: David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Zac MacMath (Philadelphia Union)

Defenders: Gale Agbossoumonde (Eintracht Frankfurt), Royal-Dominique Fennell (Stuttgarter Kickers), Sebastien Ibeagha (Duke), Kofi Sarkodie (Houston Dynamo), Zarek Valentin (Montreal Impact), Jorge Villafana (Chivas USA), Andrew Wenger (Duke), Sheanon Williams (Philadelphia Union)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Philadelphia Union), Bryan Arguez (Montreal Impact), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Danny Cruz (Houston Dynamo), Mikkel Diskerud (Stabaek), Dilly Duka (Columbus Crew), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz), Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Michael Stephes (LA Galaxy)

Forwards: Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Teal Bunbury (Sporting KC), Jann George (Nurnberg), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Andrew Wooten (Kaiserslautern)

The camp will reunite Porter with former Akron Zips Zarek Valentin, Kofi Sarkodie and Bunbury. It will also mark the first time that Porter oversees an U-23 training camp, as he missed the initial one in Germany in November due to his Akron obligations.

Of the 28 players summoned, six ply their trade in Germany, 17 play in MLS and two are college-based. The remaining three play in Mexico, England and Norway.

Some of the notable omissions from this camp include Juan Agudelo and Brek Shea, though their absences might be explained due to their respective training stints with Liverpool and Arsenal.

Perry Kitchen, who played for Porter at Akron, was also excluded from the roster as he recovers from a mild case of turf toe.

—–

What do you think of the roster? Surprised by anyone's inclusion/omission?

This entry was posted in U.S. Youth National Teams. Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to Porter names roster for U-23 camp

1. Mike says:

Gatt?? Or is he still recovering from that hamstring injury?

2. Der Kaiser says:

Terrence Boyd? Or is he a lock and Porter is looking at other options.

3. James says:

Let’s go Union!

4. Yaznasty says:

Surprised to see two college players and both of them from Duke.

Perry Kitchen is a notable omission but according to DCU he was left off the roster due to turf toe.

5. Dinho says:

+1 re: Gatt.

And, Agudelo?

And, can someone give me some background as to Jann George? Never heard of him.

I like the squad otherwise.

6. JohnC says:

Players I am surprised by: Stephens, Arguez, the two college guys and Jorge Flores.

MLS really seems to be lacking on young quality center backs and left backs, hopefully Wenger and Ibeagha jump to MLS next year and develop into quality pros.

The Union are also stacked with young talent. Five guys on this squad and their roster still has Danny Mwanga, Roger Torres, Zach Pfeffer and Josue Martinez. Sheanon Williams, Adu and Okugo are def. potential starters for olympic qualifying.

7. Scott e Dio says:

Looks good, I am just not sure about Will Bruin.

8. hogatroge says:

I though Gatt was dealing with an injury. I don’t think he saw any PT during the last U-20/U-23 camp.

9. hogatroge says:

And, I would guess the camp overlaps with Agudelo’s training at Liverpool.

10. Luke says:

Agudelo along with Altidore are both locks for the team. Agudelo will most likely be at the senior camp. And yes, Alitdore is just turned 22 and still age eligible. Also guessing that Gonzalez and John will be in the senior camp since the Jan. friendlies are not a FIFA date and will be mostly be domestic players.

11. gigi says:

With all things considered, can’t complain about the selection. Porter’s got my vote

12. Andy says:

I like it overall. Hopefully this means that we’re going to see Josh Gatt and Boyd with the senior team! Agudelo was left off probably because he may still be in Liverpool. Boyd is probably a lock for the team so it gives a chance for Porter to evaluate some other players.

13. hogatroge says:

As a Dynamo fan, the last time I saw him play more than limited minutes was when he had a hat trick against DC last Spring. He looked pretty stiff off the bench against LA’s B-team in October, and his giveaway led to their one chance and goal.

14. wilyboy says:

I’m just glad Porter’s taking a serious look at Adu. This team has so many attacking elements, we need the right person distributing. We already have Gil and Lletget, not to mention Mix. Very exciting.

15. Aron says:

very exciting list of players

16. swoopy says:

Stacked, is the word that comes to mind. Now they need to put it together and bust it up.

17. Paul says:

I love the Boon-boo-ree.

18. hogatroge says:

I don’t find the college guys too surprising. Wenger is the projected #1 draft pick and will have a professional team by the time qualifying starts.

Ibeagha is a protected player for the Dynamo. Don’t know much about him, but if he’s rated high enough by Porter to be on this team, I would guess he’s going pro next year.

19. KEV says:

Between this camp, players training overseas, senior USMNT camp in January, I love the fact that our young upcomers are getting plenty of playing time this winter.

I can’t wait to see the roster picked for January. Diskerud is a guy I would like to see picked again for that. I think that kid has so much talent.

I have to say – for those that say that our young talent is limited – it is remarkable how so many new, young prospects are popping out of Germany. Who is Jann George?

We should have an exciting lineup for the olympics!

20. AC says:

Looks good…But on paper, that’s how it usually is…Hope the team can qualify for the Olympics as there is a chance they may face Mexico if they make it to the semis of qualifying.

21. Powderhorn Pops says:

Let’s get these boys playing like the U-17s. If USSF is truly implementing the same system from the top down then the best example of that is what the U-17s did. That was a beautiful style of football.

That being said this group looks like they have a better skill set to manage that style than the senior team. Which bodes well for the future.

22. Helium-3 says:

Where is Luis Gil ?

23. Idaho Brian says:

I’m a little curious about Luis Gil’s omission. Will he still be tied up with the Generation Addidas squad…I would think he would be a lock for the squad…

24. Khan says:

Luis Guil is 17 years old guys, he is not going to be playing with the U23 team.

25. Rowsdower says:

Don’t forget that Bruin was a starting fwd while Ching was injured most of the first half of the season. His play time diminished due to injury, Ching coming back and the acquisition of Costly.

26. otergod says:

he was supposed to be ready by the end of the season (of course it would have been foolish to rush it). Why he’s not included if he’s healthy? My guess would be Molde asked USSF not to invite him so he could still mend his previous injury.

27. otergod says:

my guess would be to check out other options. There are some repeated names, but some that have been left off. I would imagine Boyd is definitely an option going forward

28. otergod says:

Tall, strong and has a nose for the goal. he’s not fast nor tricky, but he manages to do well. Whether or not he’ll be an option come Olympics, i doubt it, but he’s definitely worth a look

29. otergod says:

Agudelo is currently at Liverpool. Read that Pelosi and other team mates took him out for dinner. This camp is in January. Unlikely he’ll still be there training.

My guess is Caleb knows what he has in Agudelo and wants to give others a look first.

30. chris says:

The U-17’s played two forwards, a different system

31. otergod says:

Most likely going to be included in the U20 camp instead

32. otergod says:

Anything is possible, but likely he’ll have to wait for the next Olympics.

33. Stephens is a solid player. Tenacious, good skill on the ball and pretty good vision. His only knock is his speed but a very good link up player in the middle.

34. chris says:

Both college players played with U.S. ynt’s so not so suprising

35. Tony in Quakeland says:

That’s a staggering thought…he’ll still be eligible for the next Olympics…

36. vik says:

not all players are available, i don’t think. Boyd is on the edge of the first team, so maybe he’d rather train in Germany and make a push for the bench. That said, I think germany has a winter break coming up; so he may actually be free.

37. Four Cents says:

Adu! Cap him..

38. Giggsy says:

who is jorge villafana? because there is nobody on Chivas USA’s roste by that name. there is Jorge Flores but he is not A. a defender B. no part of his name is Villafana?

so who the hell is that?

nevermind. that is Jorge Flores, on the USSF site his name is Villafana but everywhere else it is Flores? what is up with that?

39. otergod says:

yea. I would say he’s more then capable of stepping in with the U23’s but more then likely he’ll be with the U20’s and then play in next Olympics.

Always shocked to watch him play and then realize how young he actually is.

40. otergod says:

apparently it’s his mother’s name…. not sure why it’s being used all of a sudden

41. Giggsy says:

i guess. but wikipedia has “Flores” … Chivas USA’s roster has “Flores” … so i’d go with Flores … Villafana is just confusing as hell.

42. QuakesFan says:

If Ike Opara is healthy then why is he not invited to this camp?

43. Scott e Dio says:

Don’t forget, DC had horrible & very young defense. I rather see Salgado, Ruelas, Jerome or Taylor, but some cases, club release could been an issue.

44. Scott e Dio says:

Only had five goals in 20 some games, which is a bad stat. Thats not a nose for goal.

45. marco says:

I believe some of those choices on defense were at the Ajax scrimmage. If so, Caleb needs to rethink their selections.

46. hogatroge says:

From article above:

“The camp will begin on Dec. 15 and run through Dec. 23″

47. Scott e Dio says:

Some players maybe were called because some clubs won’t release some players. I figure Gatt, Boyd etc…o

48. Eric says:

Because of his injury, he hasn’t really done anything all MLS season like he should have. Hard to justify calling him honestly. Especially when most of these other guys have been playing (some with first team or at least with reserve teams).

Opara could become a monster centerback but he has to stay healthy in order to justify call-ups.

49. bryan says:

Chandler and Williams are likely locks as well.

50. ACW3 says:

Greetings. I’m one of those soccer fans who’s only just over the past couple of years really gotten into the game, and have gotten to the point of watching the game non-stop, whether it’s on TV, at the local college, or whatever. Because I’m probably a newcomer to the sport compared to many of you, my question will probably reveal my naievete on the subject, but why no Charles Renken here? I know he’s young (he turns 18 in 11 days), but when we watch the Olympics I guarantee that we’ll see some 17-19 y/o phenoms from other countries, and we’ll wonder where/who ours are. I also know he’s suffered some injuries, but recent reports say he doesn’t seem to be hampered by them at all. Given how advanced he’s said to be in terms of his technical skill — and you know he’s more mature than his similarly-aged counterparts, given what he’s been through — I figured he’d at least get invited to the camp and given a look. Is it just youth + convalescence that would keep him from consideration? I’ve never been a proponent of the ideology that, “this kid’s young, and he’ll be eligible for the next Olympics.” Something might happen to keep him out of that one, too, and it doesn’t make sense to keep a player out of one Olympics just b/c he can play in another.

Anyway, just wondering. I admit that I’m probably just anxious for him to succeed, given his journey, and obviously I’m greedy because I want him in a USA/USMNT jersey as soon as possible, heh. Thanks in advance for any replies, and to IG for a phenomenal site. Cheers…

ACW3

51. bryan says:

Chandler, Williams, Shea, Agudelo, Jozy, Boyd and Gatt will likely fill up this roster when it’s time for the Olympics. This could be a very exciting group of players.

I have never heard of Wooten or George, but that’s cool.

I was surprised Arguez was included and surprised Morales was not. Maybe it’s a sign Morales is getting that much closer to cracking the first team?

52. Tyler says:

I disagree guys I do not believe that Jozy will be selected. He is a senior team player who starts regularly for his club so ontop of that I don’t expect him to be released for qualifying either. Same goes for many available U23 so we need to evaluate as much talent as possible to plug in the gaps if a particular player is injured or simply unavailable for selection

53. Brent McD says:

Didn’t Freddy Adu turn 23 about 5 years ago?

54. Ryan says:

I was too but Wenger deserves to be there. He is absolutely disgusting. A friend of mine played on a semi pro league team with him and he show up at half time and they were losing 5-0 and he scored 5 goals in the 2nd half playing from center back

55. otergod says:

numbers does not always tell you what happens in a game(s). I suggest watching him play. Ive seen him with Houston and IU, he places himself in good positions to receive goal scoring chances. But since you like numbers…

Will Bruin played in 25 games and scored 5 goals (including playoffs). He tallied 1693 minutes through the season, ~67 min/game. That’s 1 goal every 338 minutes OR 1 goal 3.75 games.

For a rookie that’s not bad. For an MLS striker that’s not bad. In comparison:

Sebastien Le Toux played in 34 games and scored 11 goals (including playoff). He tallied 3060 minutes through the season, ~90 minutes a game. That’s 1 goal every 278 minutes or roughly 1 goal every 3 games.

If Will Bruin amounts to Sebastien Le Toux i would be stoked if he were on my team. Will Bruin will continue to score goals in MLS and YES he has a nose for the goal

56. otergod says:

whoops, mixed the U23 and the U20 dates around… the U20’s camp will be in January. Therefore training with Liverpool could definitely conflict.

57. otergod says:

oh i agree… not sure why the change all of a sudden.

58. Reading Comprehension says:

Because he sucks. Everyone keeps forgetting that 2009 U-20 World Cup backline of Opara, Agboussemonde, Sheanon Williams, and Flores.

THE absolute worst U-20 team the U.S. has put out in the past 25 years.

59. Reading Comprehension says:

Why does Boss keep getting called up? He has the worst soccer brain I’ve seen from the US prospect.

Terrible at 2009 U-20’s. Terrible in Porutgal. Was basically the laughing stock of his club in Sweden. He’s not going to magically become good (or even average) overnight.

60. Reading Comprehension says:

LOL…Freddy will always be 15

61. Dennis says:

28 players and Chandler, Williams, Shea, Agudelo, Jozy, Boyd, Wallace, and Gatt not able to attend due to other commitments.
    In addition, the following were in the camp in Germany last fall and might be on the final list, but unavailable for Dec. : Anthony Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Sean Cunningham (Molde), Royal-Dominique Fennell((Stuttgarter Kickers), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz), Tyrone McCargo (Nürnberg), Charles Renken (Hoffenheim), Caleb Stanko (Freiburg). Conor Doyle (Derby County), Jerome Kiesewetter (Hertha Berlin), Tony Taylor (Atlético Clube de Portugal), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)
    That’s 47 players (of course, I probably missed a keeper or an injured player from MLS). If a player is not in this group, it is unlikely that Porter knows him well enough to call him in later on when things begin to get more serious unless he sees a glaring weakness in the team that needs filling.

Porter clearly has some serious sorting out to do in order to make the best team possible.

62. thedude says:

Still too young for the U23. Probably will see him in the U20s etc. (If we didnt already I cant remember)

63. dantheblue says:

I’m not surprised about Stephens. Having seen a LOT of him last year and less so this year what you get with the kid is a steady and very consistant presence. He doens’t make big mistakes at bad times which isn’t to say that he never made mistakes. Its just that his mistakes were NOT costly to the galAXy at that time. I also know he is VERY strong on the ball with a solid first touch. Its hard to get the ball off his feet… Weaknesses from my point of view…

1. foot speed is suspect for that level

2. weight of the pass is a litle light when going for longer passes. Pin point up to 20 yards…

3. I’m not convinced he is strong enough physically for the international level.

I hope that those things play out as he develops at the camp and he proves me wrong.

64. dantheblue says:

Any guesses as to which senior player is invited to join the team? Every country gets one if I’m not mistaken???

65. Neruda says:

Wow. Mind boggling number of players. Porter and US Soccer want to win so of course it makes sense to put out the best players even if they are also senior team regulars. Could be exciting.

66. NE Matt says:

Take the widespread hammy issues in the NFL as an indicator of how long these can take to recover correctly (Miles Austin and Peyton Hillis are on my fantasy team)

67. jpc says:

looks like a really good team. hopefully they can come together quickly

68. Robin says:

I honestly don’t know if you are praising or dissing Wenger

69. TomG says:

Seems like you’re exaggerating based on rumors or random comments. Not sure how you’ve seen a bunch of games he’s played w/ reserves and how you know the coaches’ and teams’ opinions of him. I haven’t seen anything like that printed, but if you have links to those articles, please share. I do know that he’s only just turned 20 and that he’s big, fast and athletic and that Klinsi needs fast CBs in his system, so I imagine he’ll continue to get looks. In general, I don’t think that writing off 19 and 20 year-olds is a good development model. These are kids. People have to chill out a little.

70. TomG says:

I think they had Renken in last camp, so they probably figure he needs to work on a few things before getting back in the mix.

71. Yaznasty says:

So I was just thinking, Porter only missed being in the MLS with Adu by a couple years. Isn’t that werid?

72. Rob218 says:

Had hoped Ethan White would be invited, but I’m guessing he is still recovering from his injuries too.

73. marco says:

He needs better defenders.

74. whothat says:

he is an academy player with the Goats, 17 or 18. he was in the Germany camp as well.

75. abc says:

Freddy Adu does not age.

He will always be 47.

76. Aaron Smoot says:

Danny Potts staying with U-20’s or going to play with the Olympic Team

77. fischy says:

Actually, I think you’re wrong. ESPN is saying it’s Jorge Flores who is changing to using his mother’s maiden name.

78. fischy says:

Why have I never heard of Jann George?

79. Gary says:

This is the international level we’re talking about.
    Stevens? Not even close! I have great respect for Caleb, so we’ll see if Stephens is able to adapt to a tactically rich game (not likely).

80. Gary says:

“Not strong enough physically”? The international level is about technical and tactical quality.

81. Answer says:

You get three overage players in the Olympics. And you don’t pick them until you qualify and have to. We are a long way from that point.

82. Gary says:

The men’s game is far more demanding technically and tactically than at the U17 level.

83. swifty says:

I Thor it was three. But I’m probably wrong

84. Zak1FCK says:

He has a game on December 17. Kaiseslautern played their game for that week earlier in the year, Wooten available. The Regionaliga South raps up play for the year the week before, Jann George available.

85. PD says:

cap him! oh wait…

86. roger says:

hahahaa… did you make the playoffs?

87. Louis Z says:

and also physically, not necessary tall or strong just being able to perform under physical pressure.

88. tom says:

Are they playing any games during that time or just inter-squad scrimmages?

89. Original Aaron says:

Luis Gil should be a part of the Olympic setup this cycle

90. Jim in Atlanta says:

Ethan White sucks.

91. Answer says:

Oh, in that case we should write him off forever. I mean he couldn’t possibly get better, right?

92. Answer says:

It IS three.

93. Answer says:

No he shouldn’t. He’s not ready.

94. Dennis says:

I think it is likely that few U-20 players other than perhaps Aguedelo will actually play for this team in the Plympics. There is just such a growth in players’ abilities between 19 and 22 that only a real prodigy will stand a chance, especially since for the Olympics 3 overage players can be used.

Of the recent U-20 team, I think the players who will be U-20 next year and who got significant attention are Salgado, Aguedelo, Gyau, MacInerney, Kitchen and Lletget. Perhaps a few of them will make the final roster, and fewer yet will actually take the field in the Olympics.

95. Dennis says:

Olympics, not Plympics

96. Dennis says:

On top of that, I forgot Altidore.

97. GETREALTIME19 says:

Is Corona leaning this way? 2nd camp in a row.. Not that he’s the best we have, but just wondering all the same.