D.C. passes on option to buy Davies

CharlieDavies (ISIPhotos.com)

In a move that hardly came as a surprise, D.C. United has passed on the option to buy Charlie Davies' contract from French club Sochaux.

The club announced the decision on Thursday, but it had been clear for months that Davies future didn't lie with D.C. The team is still in talks with Davies about potential options, but if Davies does return to MLS in 2012, it would be on loan to another team in the league and not D.C. United.

Davies endured  roller-coaster season with D.C. United, scoring 11 goals, but he finished the season on the bench for D.C. after what sources called a falling out with D.C. head coach Ben Olsen.

What's next for Davies is unclear. What is clear is he will not return to D.C. United, and while a return to MLS with another club is a possibility (multiple clubs are interested in acquiring him), Davies could also return to Europe this winter. If he does stay in MLS, interested teams would have to work out a trade with D.C., which still holds his rights.

What do you think of this development? Disappointed that it didn't work out for Davies in D.C.? Would you like your team to make a run at Davies? Think he needs to go back to Europe?

This entry was posted in MLS- D.C. United. Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to D.C. passes on option to buy Davies

1. Johnny U says:

Don’t really understand why they protected him then. I would love to see stay in the MLS. There would be a better chance of him getting playing time and getting recalled to the USMNT.

2. Gnarls says:

Di-ving Da-vies! *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

3. Drizzl says:

He needs to come home and play for the Revs, if only because we have none attacking options now.

4. Adam says:

He’s not ready to be back in Europe yet he can’t play nice in the MLS? Davies, Davies, Davies; will he ever be back to USMNT?

5. soccerroo says:

I think they had to because of the loan situation. Which is not good for your team if you are not planning on keeping the player.

6. Charles says:

He scored 11 goals, but not worth keeping around….wow. Draw your own conclusions, but that usually/normally doesn’t add up.

7. Bryson says:

I would love to see Davies get back on the national team. A few years back I was super excited about the tandem of Davies and Altidore up top.

8. pl says:

how many of Davies goals came on PKs for dives?

9. Bryson says:

It is all about winning.

10. marco says:

I believe more than half of Davies goals came from diving and PKs. No team can count on repeating those numbers because of how they were earned. The few games I watched at the end of the year he was deliberately invisible. First year back, maybe things will improve.

11. WeatherManNX01 says:

If another MLS team picks him up, do they have to use the purchase option, is he still on loan, or can they negotiate another loan with Sochaux?

12. BellusLudas says:

Davies to the Dynamo…mark it done.

13. al17 says:

Smart move by DC.

If he returns to Sochaux, he’ll be loaned out and most likely to a ligue 2 club or else they might cancel his contract. He still has alot of work and growing up to do. A stint in Ligue 2 might do him some good.

14. malkin says:

Clearly he should sue DC United and Ben Olsen

15. BerlinTexas says:

On paper, awesome. In real life, doubtful. Dom doesn’t usually mix well with problem children and divers. Despite what Marschy would have you think.

16. KungFuSoccer says:

Do we have any idea what the transfer fee requested is? It sounds like DC doesn’t want him for what the original loan agreement calls for, but I don’t see how this forecloses further negotiation between the two clubs.

17. RLW2020 says:

which DC fell short of doing.

nothing worse than losing and playing cheap

18. Ycontrol500 says:

Does anybody know what clubs for sure are interested in Davies?

19. RLW2020 says:

agreed, go back to France/Europe and do well for whoever he is loaned to.. he needs to focus on his future and making sure he is not unemployed after this deal ends.

20. NATO says:

Davies, even Ligue 2 is better than MLS especially for your re-emergence. Worry about your career. WC isn’t for 2.5years. Plenty of time for you to play games and score goals and get back into the Nats. Your competition is older and sorta good- Buddle, Gomez- and young but not quite there -Bunbury, Agudelo-.

I think you should get loaned to a Ligue 2 team or Belgium/Greece.

21. MrMaxican says:

How much is his loan option? To buy? Dynamo just freed up 500k and 11 goals is 6 more than anyone on our squad made.

22. Black Guy says:

The transfer fee was somewhere around 1.3 – 1.5 million. It looks like DCU is cleaning house — this is the 10th player not picked up for the upcoming season.

23. DCU Sean says:

For a 1.3 million dollar buyout……..um……no.

24. NATO says:

Davies is too expensive. He probably wants at least 500 K and that’s something they not willing to spend especially if De-Ro can get them 8-10 goals next season.

25. NATO says:

exactly. He is quality. His first few matches for Sochaux showed that. eVEN if he’s on a relegation fodder team, he can make it.

26. NATO says:

Davies is the last American striker to score over 10 goals in a European first division albeit Sweden which is like ranked 25 or so. Arguably the same level as MLS

27. kev says:

hoping Agudelo and Bunbury are the next. They should head to Portugal or Holland to play

28. hogatroge says:

You can also bet that the Dynamo FO isn’t going to spend DP money on him, especially if he get’s on Dom’s bad side.

29. Poo says:

with several penalties padding the goal total

30. GW says:

Davies is a victim of unrealistic expectations.

His performance for United was pretty good all things considered but he clearly has a ways to go to develop the consistency he needs to get back to his old self.

I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but if he is clashing with Olsen, he need only look as far as Bobby Convey to see what happens to former star players who insist on maintaining their pre injury star attitude.

Especially when they are making a lot of money that they aren’t necessarily earning anymore.

31. CarlosRuiz says:

Half of those goals were PK’s… he wasn’t even starting the last month of the season. He has made progress but he ain’t there yet.

32. jake says:

They didn’t have anyone chosen so it didn’t end up mattering.

33. Gnarls says:

Pescadito, I’m no Davies fan, but it sounds like he was riding the pine because he and Olsen had a falling out; not so much because needs to make more progress as a player.

34. Gnarls says:

I can think of at least two off the top of my head. Once against Omar G and the other against RSL.

35. MensreaJim says:

Jozy is on pace to do it in Holland this season, and has already hit 10 counting Europa. Let’s hope those kids do it soon, though.

36. Gnarls says:

Zing.

37. A wise man once says:

Umm, he scored four goals on PK’s. Half of 11 is not four.

38. Eugene says:

Why does DC still hold his rights and require a trade? I thought this was the exact situation dealt with by the re-entry draft — so why wouldn’t Davies go through the re-entry draft if DC have now declined his option?

I would love to see him come to NY, I think he’s still an explosive player and makes smart runs. In the event that Rogers is injury-prone again next season, Davies would be a great replacement. Just having him in as a striker would open up a lot of space for Henry.

Agudelo is not there yet and I don’t know about Hertzog. Perhaps Agudelo could play inside-out on the left wing so he could get the minutes to be sharp, develop his game and improve his tactical runs.

39. Thorpinski says:

1st game..he took a PK he didn’t earn, but later scored a goal on his own.

40. Big Chil says:

It’s 5.5

41. VADCUfan says:

Uh, 4 of 11 isn’t half, that said he was really streaky and has not shown that he’s worth 1.3 mil.

42. VADCUfan says:

That’s it, the other two pks were called for fouls on other players. Both were legit if I remember correctly.

43. Lorenzo says:

With Buddle coming back to life, and Altidore showing better form, the longing for Davies isn’t as strong as it used to be. I hope he does well because he is an american, he went through a rough part of life, and I like people to reach their ability. As for the National Team though, he is a ways off from it.

44. pd says:

i’d like to state for the record that that response was every bit as funny as you intended it to be.

45. Jim Gaffigan high voice says:

Oh, that was negative…

46. pd says:

I don’t understand the vitriol over the fact that Davies got away with an unseeingly but wholly accepted part of the game. Until all players stop diving, acting like they’ve been shot to draw a penalty or card on a tackle, waste time with cramping and other ridiculous forms of time wasting in the waning moments of a match I think it’s a little disingenuous to make one guy the poster child for it. Unless it’s sour grapes because it happened against your club in which case get over it.

All I know is Davies was off to a great start and then went cold. Whether it was form fitness locker room, no one can really say unless they’re part of the team, and as far as I know no one is talking, so…

I wish him the best. He was on track to be one of the great American strikers of his generation, a real bulldog who had a knack to find a way to get the result, something every winning team needs and that the USMNT currently lacks up top. But he is part of a story that has many characters and it’s up to him and his inner circle to find a way to get him back on the page. We should all be rooting for that.

47. JoeW says:

DCU protected Davies b/c they gave up an allocation and a spot in the order to acquire incoming USNT players. That meant that it cost them something to be able to have the chance just to work out an agreement/loan with him. So now there are other teams in MLS that might look at Davies and figure that he might continue to grow/be more consistent, like his speed and 11 goals (the majority from the run of play). Remember, coming out of college his first two choices were NE and DCU so I wouldn’t be surprised if NE was interested…for the right price.

I don’t get the sense that DCU is playing hardball here. Only recognizing that while Davies may never be what he was, he’s still a guy who can contribute to most teams in MLS and so therefore, his rights are worth something. If Davies decides he wants to play in MLS, I’m sure a deal will get done and it won’t involve DCU extorting someone’s first round pick, first team player and first born in return.

48. JoeW says:

Davies may never be the player that he was. But he’s shown that in the right team he can contribute.

The challenge here was:
    –very inconsistent. For instance, he got hurt against Columbus and his game was never the same.
    –he and Ben Olsen butted heads. Olsen has made it very clear (with DCU declining options on 9 players) that Olsen wants HIS team and players that he chooses.

Whoever gets Davies is probably not getting an MLS all-star. But they are getting a guy with speed who is a reasonable finisher and will probably continue to improve. And a younger American attacker who can give you 7-12 goals in the run of play is nothing to sneeze at…as long as you decide he’s a fit for your program and scheme.

49. marco says:

“I don’t understand the vitriol over the fact that Davies got away with an unseeingly but wholly accepted part of the game…”

I don’t see it as vitriol. It’s an honest assessment that because of diving/ penalty kicks, his goal total is less valued, because there’s a high likely hood officials will be wary in the future.

50. JoeW says:

1. He scored 4 PKs.

2. Only 2 of the PKs were on calls on him.

3. So no, “half” of his goals didn’t come from diving or from PKs.

51. JoeW says:

1. B/c DCU doesn’t “own” him, Sochaux does. DCU only owns his MLS rights. Which they had to pay (allocation and order of selection) in order to get. So those rights are worth something.

2. What was up was not his contract but his loan. So even if DCU decided they wanted him back, that doesn’t decide it. Sochaux gets a say in it as well.

Sochaux may release him outright. Or keep him. Or loan him out in Europe. Or let him stay in MLS. Davies probably has an opinion on this but given the number of times that Goff has said he’s likely to look at another MLS team, that implies to me that the Sochaux isn’t expecting/counting on him on their side and/or Davies sees the value of being in MLS and getting PT.

52. fischy says:

His loan is now over, with the option gone. However, any other team can work out a new loan. So can DCU. The thing is DCU controls his MLS rights, for now.

53. fischy says:

His play early on was good for DC, when he was coming on as a sub. Once the season hit May, Davies tanked big-time. He had one game where he lit up the scoreboard with a hat-trick — after sitting out almost a full month (the team was off for almost 3 weeks, and Davies was held out of another game to extend his break). Even in that game, he was mostly just in the right place to finish off Chris Pontius’ handiwork. Clearly, he’s not in condition to play a full season.

54. fischy says:

Just guessing here, but I imagine his agent Lyle Yorks has a good idea.

55. fischy says:

It should be noted that despite what’s written in this piece above, it isn’t clear that Davies won’t end up with DC. It ain’t likely, but it’s still possible that they negotiate a new, cheaper loan.

They don’t want him at 1.3 million, which isn’t surprising. Will Chang isn’t going to pay that for anyone, I think. If I had to guess, the team never had any intention of shelling out that kind of dough, unless Davies proved too good to pass up, lighting up the league like had never been done before. It might even explain why he was being held out — to drive Sochaux’s price way down. Or, maybe Olsen would just as soon not have him back, at any price.

(SBI-He’s not going back to D.C., it’s not happening. He’s not going back to D.C. on another loan. If he stays in MLS, it’s with a different team. Book it.)

56. Kojo says:

Klinsmann wants to have the National team play in a style that represents our culture and one of those aspects is that Americans don’t like divers. Yes diving is part of the game yet fans in the US at MLS games boo players who dive and in some games I have attended they even booed their own home team players when they felt they dived. Just chalk it up to one aspect to how we expect to play the game. You are awarded the foul because your earned it just like you achieve the American dream because you earned it with some sweat, perseverance and yes sometimes a little luck.

57. pd says:

I don’t buy it. Nearly every striker does it at some point, I’ve never seen or heard of a ref not give a call because they’re on the lookout. Drawing a foul is part of the game and it’s a chance you take as the attacking player. Personally it’s a part of the game I hate but it’s a part of the game nonetheless. To say those goals aren’t legitimate is silly. Personally, I think a lot of folks have never forgiven Davies for his car wreck and that when there’s a chance to bring the knives out they do so gladly, or they’re still holding a grudge because he “got away with it” against their side. Again, silly.

I will say this though, there is a beef brewing at DCU and Davies is a part of it, that will be more of a concern to a potential buyer than his diving. His ability to score will be what makes folks willing to take a chance on him.

58. pd says:

Achieved the American dream because you earn it? Oh, pass me that Polly-Anna pipe you’re sucking on. Next you’re going to tell me dreams come true and puppies go to heaven….

I will agree with you on this point, we as USA fans have a distaste for diving, faking injuries and time wasting and that is honorable. The fact that we call our players out for that is also honorable and we should do it. But I still think that folks are blowing it out of proportion with CD.

59. billq says:

Ray is once again my favorite Davies….

60. wilyboy says:

This is a big deal. With all the cap space cleared, and Davies gone, this is going to be a massive off season with no trade bait (no Quaranta or Simms). Foreign acquisitions, shall we say, are not the FO’s forte, so Olsen better do his scouting magic.

61. Indigo Montoya says:

Dave has somethin’ to say about that

62. GW says:

Ironically, JK practically made diving an art form at Tottenham.

63. Stee Kerr says:

His story makes me feel for him, but his attitude on the pitch makes him seem like a jerk. I’m not sure he is the team player that Olsen is looking for.

64. Smack says:

euro-snoot

65. Smig says:

Thanks Bob Bradley

66. Eugene says:

Let me tell you, Americans like winning more than they dislike diving. I’ll take a dive or two if it means getting further in the World Cup. Frankly, I’ve been frustrated in the past with players who take a lot of fouls in the box and DON’T go down. I don’t know if its naive or dumb or what, but its not helping the team if they don’t take advantage of that situation by drawing a penalty kick.

Bob Bradley encouraged the team to waste time at the end of the game by putting the ball in the corner. That was just as distasteful to me as diving, but hey if we win…

67. marco says:

I’ve seen officials weary of known offenders and even card them, many times

68. Louis Z says:

When he first came back and started to score I pointed out how he was doing it and people jumped on me for being critical of his form. I never saw the strong play that he used to have. Hope one day he finds it.

69. Uriak says:

It usually takes a year for a player from a foreign league to adjust. It’s too early to give up on him now.

70. Naboo says:

i know yer face creeps me out in that photo

71. Mhat says:

So measured responses are frowned upon now? Assuming I am getting what your reply is implying.

72. I'm not a Doctor, but... says:

One could argue Gooch’s injures were more traumatic than Davies?

Is that even a serious statement?

Davies had internal/external/emotional damages from a horrific car accident. Gooch’s injury occurs every other week in professional sports.

The only comparison is they both have two pair of eyes and two pairs of ears.

73. I'm not a Doctor, but... says:

because you say so, correct? typical eurotrash on messageboards.

74. I'm not a Doctor, but... says:

more eurotrash hyperbole.

75. DC Josh says:

This was his first full season since laying on his death bed and having to learn how to walk all over again.

Let’s give the kid some more time. It’s not like he is coming back from a broken bone. It will take him a few seasons to get back to 100%. He showed glimpses of his old self this season. I still have faith.

76. What? says:

Ever heard of Clint Dempsey? L

77. Shane says:

Charlie Davies had all the talent in the world and threw it away. Then, he had all the good will in the world from his fans and every one of his coaches, and he threw that away as well. Really sad.

78. MadCap says:

This one goes to 11.

79. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

So, if 4 PK’s and 2 on call on him is true…then exactly half his PK goals were from diving.

80. curmudgeon says:

Reading. Is. Fundamental.

That’s not what the original poster suggested.

81. Charles says:

You weren’t ever really thinking this NATO guy knew anything were you ?

I understand..easy slip..like me, you probably had a holiday party last night.

82. Joamiq says:

How could you possibly not know that Clint Dempsey scored more than 10 goals last season? What planet are you living on?

83. Joamiq says:

He should go back to Sweden. Try to regain his past glory.

84. GW says:

Too bad you aren’t a doctor.

Then it would be easier to re-adjust your ADD medication. Or if you were an eye doctor you could check your vision. Or you could have a friend, if you have any, read what I actually wrote instead of what you think I wrote.

Here, I’ll help you:

” Gocch, who injured his knee shortly after Davies had his accident, is only now beginning to play a bit like his old self. One could argue that Davies’ injury was more traumatic.”

85. GW says:

At least Bradley did not have his guys roll around on the ground like they were on fire with fake injuries or have Howard become a human rain delay on goal kicks.

Believe me there are about 100 more unsavory ways to waste time than putting the ball in the corner and fooling around with it.

86. GW says:

You are right about him needing more time. In the right situation he should be better next year. In fact,during his time at United I thought he was a more polished player technically, than I remember him being for the US.

But as Shane points out below Davies also managed to fritter away a lot of the good will he had built up with his petulant behavior. You did not see Gooch or Stu Holden act like Davies during their recovery stints.

For Davies the goal should be getting good enough to be an MLS regular, then a Ligue 1 regular and then a USMNT regular but Charlie is an impatient, entitled kind of guy and he doesn’t do a good job of hiding it.

It’s hard to avoid the impression that he is a jerk.

87. Louis says:

I hear América is looking for forwards. He will get paid way more in the FMF, then we can prove to him that MLS was a better place for him when Chivas USA or DC United go to the Azteca and beat him in CONCACAF Champions League.

88. RonLAGalaxy Champs!!!!! says: