Who was the biggest USA roster snub?

USMNTPM(R)06182010813

Photo by Perry McIntyre/ISIphotos.com

It happens every time the U.S. national team releases a roster for a friendly or meaningful game. Fans and pundits clamor that a certain player or certain players who didn't make the cut deserved the call-up.

Thursday's roster release for the November friendlies against France and Slovenia was accompanied with a similar reaction.

Even though Jurgen Klinsmann has developed a pretty consistent pattern of whom he is and is not going to call up, the fact remains that a handful of U.S. internationals have been playing well at their clubs without getting the reward of a call to U.S. camp.

Players like centerbacks Omar Gonzalez and George John, who have yet to be called in under Klinsmann only to watch Michael Orozco Fiscal continue to get chances despite struggling on the international level, come to mind. So too does striker Herculez Gomez, who has been in form and scoring for Estudiantes Tecos but hasn't gotten a U.S. look despite the Americans mustering just two goals in five games under Klinsmann's watch.

Creative midfielders such as Sacha Kljestan, Benny Feilhaber and Freddy Adu were also passed over this time around and don't appear to be high on Klinsmann's current pecking order based on his brief track record.

Who do you think was the biggest USMNT snub for the November friendlies? Cast your vote after the jump:

————

How did you vote? Which player that wasn't called in do you think deserves a call-up the most? Anybody not on our list that you think is most deserving?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

145 Responses to Who was the biggest USA roster snub?

1. Coach Bob says:

Where is Bornstein?

2. ga-gone says:

Wondolowski doesn’t even make the poll? Double-Snubbed!

3. nam says:

Chad Barrett.

4. Aaron in StL says:

Didn’t you hear? He received special dispensation for a one-time switch and annulment of previous caps to join up with Egypt.

5. Tim says:

Omar Gonzalez. At first I think he was merely posturing for a US call-up when he said he would consider a Mexico call-up. Now, I think he would definitely take it. I don’t understand what Klinsmann sees in Fiscal, and if the US somehow loses out on Gonzalez it would be a massive blunder.

6. Derek Young says:

There’s a few on this list I’d pick before him, but I’m still blown away that Parke continues to get the cold shoulder from USMNT.

Anyway, I’d go with Sacha and Gomez as the “biggest snub.”

7. Jamie says:

Hhah, nice.

8. Tim says:

Parkhurst.

9. Zach says:

Voting looks exactly like how I feel: Gonzo, Gomez, and Klestjan are the three biggest snubs. Who’s the biggest surprise: Buddle, Rogers, or Orozco?

10. Tim says:

If Borchers isn’t good enough, Parke DEFINITELY isn’t good enough.

11. alf says:

Hard to make the case for biggest snub – there aren’t any superstars out there, Adu didn’t even start for Nowak, Cameron could easily be on the list, etc. The biggest shocks are the continued invitations to Orozco and Rodgers. Klinsman’s willingness to give people a real chance (i.e. more than just one game) is starting to change in stubbornly sticking with the guys he picked. I mean when’s Castillo coming back into the fold? Time to start cutting some of these non-starters and moving on to explore other options, Klinsi.

12. Bob B. says:

FIRE JURGEN.

13. Yusef says:

Will we see any of these guys replace those who may still be playing in MLS?

14. Udo says:

Adu..? lolz

15. Dinho says:

Really? Tim, did you watch last night’s game?

I’m a Galaxy fan, so don’t take my position as biased in any manner. As I’ve said before (and I’m sure I’ll say it again), Omar is not international quality (yet). He is not fast enough and surely not good enough with his feet.

Also, think of who he is behind in the pecking order…both Goodson and Gooch. As other pundits have explained, JK is clearly looking for a dominant center back in the air (i.e. Goodson/Gooch) that can distribute to pair with one that is faster and also able to distribute. Gooch is not the ideal, but he is better than Omar at distributing. If Omar improves on his feet, he probably stands no chance to get called in. Otherwise, it’s no dice.

Okay, with that said, I’d say either Gomez or Sascha are the “biggest snubs.” I think it would be interesting to see Sascha play in the “Torres role” that JK implemented early in his reign. Gomez…for obvious reasons.

16. AJ says:

Gonzalez certainly justified his omission from the lineup with his stinker against Rodgers last night.

17. Dinho says:

oops, meant to say, “If Omar improves on his feet, he probably stands A chance to get called in.”

18. loko says:

I refuse to vote in this stupid poll because you didnt even list wondolowski as an option. The guy is a stud.

19. wc says:

I would say Omar, but since I don’t think Donovon or Beckerman should have actually been called in, I’ll go with Sacha.

20. Tim says:

Yet has been ineffective in his previous callups…Not that orozco is any better…

21. Mark says:

lol Oh man, way to make my year. That is fantastic. I haven’t laughed that hard in a while.

22. Mark says:

too soon?

23. Indigo Montoya says:

I concur – Klestjan, especially since he plays in Belgium and has been in form, and Gomez, because he has been scoring – something that US forwards haven’t accomplished lately.

24. Khan says:

I hope many of the people hankering for OG watched the game last night.

That performance and others like it are why he was not called in. He may be one of the most incapable passers in the league. He really is that bad.

25. cj says:

15 min. Surpised it took so long.

26. strider says:

I was actually torn between Omar and Gomez. Right now you don’t take Omar as a starter, but as a player with potential that you can help develop. Although he did not have a great night last night, he has been a strong candidate for defender of the year over the course of the season. I would have liked John to get called in as he is out of the playoffs and had a strong season too. However, I voted for Gomez as he has been scoring and his form has been strong lately while both Omar and John have not been at quite the same level lately. I’d also list Davis as ahead of Adu on this list, but again, still in playoffs so don’t call now.

27. Connor says:

Brad Davis?

28. primoone says:

No…I think Ream owns that title this season.

29. Dinho says:

Khan…EXACTLY! (see my post above)

You must know football, sir. :)

30. primoone says:

Lets be real…Omar was horrible marking Rogers…but passing wasnt really that big of an issue. Had he given the ball away in his own half more than Ream did…then he has a problem with it.

31. mikey says:

He’s still better than Orozco Fiscal.

32. Khan says:

You too, Sir.

Thank you.

33. CrazyMike366 says:

Gotta be Sacha. He’s getting consistent minutes and chipping in with regular assists and occasional goals for a top-of-the-table team in Europe. Good form is good form and he deserves a call-up considering the ‘killer pass’ has been one of the weak spots in the Yanks’ lineup as of late.

Donovan can fill that attacking mid spot, but I’d rather see him stay with the Galaxy since they’re still in the hunt for the MLS Cup. I think Williams or Johnson could do a good job in the middle too, but I don’t watch the Bundesliga enough to be able to say that confidently. I’m sure Klinsmann does though.

34. Dainja says:

Adu. Because the USA is struggling to create CHANCES, not finishing.
    Gomez = he is a poacher, and doesn’t create chances
    As for the other guys, Sascha is still subpar when he plays for USA, as he did in the Gold Cup (cuz he was in good club form then as well). Gonzo is terrible with the ball, see last night’s game. George John hasn’t been the same since the Blackburn fiasco, and Benny…well, maybe Benny is right behind Adu for a call up for the same fact I listed as to why we should call up Freddy. (and trust me, i used to be a Freddy basher)

How can we not keep calling up our best player in the Gold Cup final???

35. babieca says:

Definitely Herculez Gomez for me. You can make a case for most of the other guys, but there are plenty of other decent CBs and CMs in the pool.

We are desperately thin at forward though. You leave off a guy who is scoring plenty of goals in a good league and then only call in two actual forwards. That’s just a big f*ck you to Herc.

36. Dinho says:

mikey….I don’t think you can compare the 2 in JK’s mind.

You have to consider JK’s goal with this squad. Think of it as two different positions.

1. Dominant, physical CB that is good in the air and can distribute out of the back.

2. Faster, smart and physical CB that can distribute out of the back.

Note the common denominator. Omar doesn’t fit (yet).

37. Joel says:

Either Gomez or Gonzales, but Sacha has played well, and honestly I think Brad Davis has a spot on this team even just as a deadball specialist. Just bring him on as a late sub if we need some setpiece work.

38. Isaac says:

Sacha Kljestan was fine for the USA at the Gold Cup, particularly against Jamaica. He had one not so great match against Panama, and then came off the bench and played fairly well against Mexico.

39. Indigo Montoya says:

as for the f@#k you to gomez, I agree. The US hasn’t scored $hit lately, and while buddle has been scoring, gomez as a late sub is a definite threat. i scratch my head at his omission unless it’s simply a club/logistical thing.

40. athan says:

Graham Zusi was snubbed! I would take him over Edu or Jermaine Jones any day! He can defend and score from the center midfield position, and his set pieces would be the best of anyone in camp right off the bat!

41. Dinho says:

It was actually really interesting watching how the NYRB handled OG when he had the ball. If you watch it back, the directive was seemingly to allow him time on the ball to make him try and distribute. There is a reason for that. Backe is no Mourinho (or even an Arena), but he got that right.

You ever hear the term on the field….”he’ll give it to us.” that’s what NYRB were thinking when OG had the ball.

Mind you, this was around midfield and not near his own goal, so there was no huge danger when he gave it away.

42. Isaac says:

I personally am shocked Kljestan isn’t called up. For starters, from a logistics standpoint, Belgium to France is hardly any travel time, so there is no risk of Sacha being tired or anything. Moreover, Kljestan is in good form for Anderlecht, who’ve been good overall this season. Finally, the team has lacked creativity, drive, and inspiration from the central midfield, and Sacha brings that. His goal against the Netherlands in the Olympics is a prime example of the spark and influence he brings playing in the central midfield.

43. Don Pelayo says:

Why is Adu on that list? He wasn’t even starting consistently for the Union, and was mediocre at best on the field.

Sacha Kljestan, on the other hand, is a player I would have liked to have seen on the roster. With Holden out, Sacha could be another option in the center.

44. Indigo Montoya says:

I’ll agree to disagree with your post. No way that Zusi is better than either Edu or Jones. Pick another name, yeah, sure, but not those two.

45. Dinho says:

athan….I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you are a SKC fan? :)

46. Goalscorer24 says:

At least there is no Ream! Is Klinsmann waiting until January to call in these other players?

47. Peter says:

I totally agree but to get anyone else to see this is impossible! Omar will get abused by fast, small forwards.

48. Murphy says:

i agree–its not so much who got snubbed its just surprising that orozco and rogers got called in despite playing poorly during the last national team games. hopefully this is the last time for them. its inexplicable that he isn’t going to give someone else a call up for these games. rogers at least scored a goal vs. mexico, but orozco has really been average at best. call someone else in! its early, jurgen, you just got the job, try a bunch of players…

49. Isaac says:

You ARE kidding, right?

50. Isaac says:

You ARE kidding, right?

51. Khan says:

Yeah, he has been very sheltered by the midfield and pressure it puts on the other team.

52. Isaac says:

I’m also not really annoyed with Klinsmann not calling up Gomez. He finishes chances, yes, but have you seen the USA making any chances for their strikers( Namely Altidore)? Not really. Gomez is a finisher and that’s really it. A fairly deft touch, excellent positioning/movement, and a great finish, but he doesn’t help his teams create chances – he simply finishes them. So if we’re not creating chances for him, then what good is he? None. We need a striker like Jozy who gets involved in creating chances( Donovan against Costa Rica, Shea against Honduras). Gomez isn’t physicallly or technically gifted really, so he’s really not of much use outside of finishing. Don’t get me wrong, someone needs to finish, and if we create chances and Jozy simply isn’t getting on the end of them, then Gomez should be getting a chance, but that’s not the case currently.

53. goFire says:

Chris Rolfe

54. I would understand the Sacha Kljestan but to be honest he gives the ball away way to much for my taste. It also seems pretty clear that either fabian johnson, Jose Torres or Stuart Holden have that on lock.I would have left off a d-mid and included gomez. He along with buddle were scoring during the world cup but were left off in favor for findley by bradley. The dude is a poacher and all he needs is a half chance to put one away.

55. hutchiemcfly says:

See i believe the jaunary camp will be when we see everyone on rhe snub list. Ithink he wants to see who’ll stay fit and have a true assesment of where the mls based guys are.

56. This Guy says:

Worse than Ream? Helen Keller says yes!

57. Matt B. says:

Eddie Gaven

58. Hesyourlifelight says:

Eddie Gaven

59. Kevin_Amold says:

I agree that we aren’t creating any chances. But is the answer to structure your roster as if this trend will continue? I don’t think so. Herc….IN!

60. Jeremy says:

LOL, awesome

61. Vic says:

Outside of Adu, none of these are starters or better than anyone we have on the current roster. John/Gonzalez would be behind Bocanegra, Oneywu and Goodson. Gomez is doing well in Mexico but hasn’t done much in his limited chances with the Nats and is getting old. Feilhaber could definatley be part of the mix, however, Williams and Jones have similar skill and play similar positions. I don’t have a problem with the selections I’m more concerned about the starting lineup.

62. david m says:

What puzzles me the most is that Tim Howard played every minute of the 5 games under Klinsmann. Why not give some playing time to his backups? What if, god forbid, Howard is injured? We have no one with international experience behind him.

63. lv livin says:

Wondo is not an international caliber striker. Sorry

64. Sgc says:

I do think you’re right that The Powers That Be think he’s not fast/quick enough for the pace of international play, and if he is, it seems to be a point he’ll never prove by playing in MLS. He should really move to a faster league as soon as possible if he wants to muscle his way in.

In that sense, Gomez is more puzzling, because he plays a position and role we could really use an option for (because right now we really have none), and he plays in a better league than ours (or the one Edson Buddle plays in, for that matter), and seems to be having some success. You wonder why we’ve seen so much of Torres, Fiscal, and Castillo from the same league (and Beasley too) but no Gomez.

65. Hank Rearden says:

I agree. Chris is healthy and playing well. Great skill with the ball. He could fill Holden’s shoes while Stu heals.

66. InternationalCaliber says:

Wondo leads the league in goals two years in a row, finishes top of the Castrol Index… yet somehow you say he is inferior to Agudelo who can’t even get off the bench in said league? LMAO!

67. WondoIsMint says:

If guys like Jonathan Bornstein get 38 caps, then Wondolowski deserves more than 5 to show what he’s got.

68. Vic says:

Klejstan is a turnover machine against good competition. He only does well against weak opponents or when a team is sitting back defending a lead. If pressed he loses the ball.

69. Steve says:

I see what your saying about Gonzalez but fiscal has not done much to prove he belongs

70. Jason says:

Gomez isn’t expected to start. Jozy is going to start but Gomez can come in as a super sub and hopefully poach a goal or two. No one is saying bring Gomez in to start but bring him in as a sub. Maybe his poaching ability might rub off on some of these guys.

71. Jason says:

I would had left Roger. There are a few players that can play RM on the team. Johnson, Donovan and Shea can all play RM and play it better then Roger. So why was he even called up if he’s not even going to be use. Rogers is basically a wasted slot.

72. Getrealtie19 says:

Then why does Agudelo look better than Wondo on the pitch during USMNT games?? I Believe neither of them should be on the team right now. Why doesn’t CJ Sapong get a call up to either national team?? Biggest snubs are Gomez and Sasha.

73. hogatroge says:

He used to be, but he has shown well in his GC appearances and against Mexico (under Klinsmann).

I also wouldn’t say Europa league soccer is “weak opponents.”

74. Getrealtime19 says:

Does anyone else think Geoff Cameron deserves a shot???

75. hogatroge says:

Hamid should play against Slovenia, but we want Howard for the full 90 against France for sure.

76. hogatroge says:

1. Gomez
    2. Kljestan

Kljestan would be #1, and is probably more deserving that some of the German guys playing limited minutes, but I don’t think they were necessarily bad selections.

Gomez, on the other hand, is our only in-form striker scoring goals right now. If Buddle isn’t too old for a call up, neither is Herc.

77. Getrealtime19 says:

I meant to post this here not up higher…

Does anyone think Geoff Cameron deserves a shot at CB???

78. beachbum says:

Gomez and Klestjan. there are others as there always will be, but those two top the list this time to me

79. Adam M. says:

No snubs. This isn’t the forum. Gut says that Klinsman will try to win these games starting and subbing what he thinks is he best side rather than use these games to test players. None of the alleged snubs are current starters or immediate subs on this team and there won’t be a real camp to evaluate players. Wait for January.

80. Matt says:

Wondo absolutely deserves a call-up. If he gets a chance to play and knocks in a few goals, all of the SBI folks and BigSoccer folks will instantly change their tune about him.

Most fans only want to see goals scored, and guess what? Wondo can do that. In the meantime, enjoy watching another pair of shutout losses Getrealtie19.

81. Matt says:

He has barely gotten any chances with the USMNT. He has repeatedly earned the chance to get to play.

I mean, it’s not like Donovan scored a hat trick the first time he got called up. Yet he was given more call-ups and eventually he turned out to be all right.

See how that works Tim?

82. joey says:

Hope Timmy doesnt hurt his back picking the ball out of the net against France

83. Matt says:

How are they supposed to stay fit if they haven’t played any matches for 2-3 months?

There’s a big difference between physical fitness and game fitness.

84. Matt says:

My gut says we will be shut out twice, again. Jurgen is looking to be the first USMNT coach in the modern era to be hired and fired in less than 6 months.

85. Matt says:

Also thanks for letting us know what is appropriate for this forum. I mean, it’s your site right, and not the author’s? You’re Ives Galarcep, right dude?

86. I JIK I RED BULLZ says:

I can’t wait to see Holden and Lichaj back from their injuries so we won’t have to see players like Orozco, Beckerman, and Rogers AGAIN!!!

87. Cairo says:

Wondo should definitely be in the poll at least. I didn’t get his success until I watched him in Seattle a couple of weeks ago (the Keller send off). He’s one of those guys that knows where to be and then puts the ball on frame when it comes to him. I don’t know if he fits in Klinsmann’s system, but give him good service over 10 games and he’ll score as much as most of our forwards. Put it this way–everyone in the park knows he’s San Jose’s only goal scorer, and yet he scores goals.

And can we stop picking on Bornstein? The guy made mistakes but played hard and did his best. Not good enough for the team, but an admirable guy who came when his country called. Picking on him is getting really old.

88. JesseP says:

Orozco Fiscal is just not very good. So, the biggest snub has to be the guys who lost out on a position to him – John and OG. At least Gomez lost out to strikers who can stake a somewhat credible claim to a position on the roster based on their performances.

89. Eric says:

Alan Gordon.

90. roger says:

yes, hes overdue by 2 years. Should be a lock come January. He can provide a spark down the middle in every third of the field.

91. thekidd says:

look guys omar is slow, i rather go with goodson and onyewu and PARKURST.
    hercules is too old hes what like 30 ???? plus he is not international type/level
    i think ROLF SHOULD GET CALLED UP

92. Juan from L.A. says:

I would take Wondo over Gomez any day…I don’t understand the huge hoopla for that guy. He would never be considered NT caliber if he was eligible for Mexico…never. He is in a minnow team and he is not 6th place like many want you to picture. There is like 4 others with the same amount of goals. So he is 10th place. So what? Wondow has been consistent even if he is not playing striker role. But in the list you missed another guy who has been consistent for two, three seasons and talented…Geoff Cameron.

93. Juan from L.A. says:

I would take Geoff Cameron over Ream and Gonzalez put together any day.

94. luke says:

that is obnoxiously dumb. let’s see graham zusi try to earn a starting spot at schalke…

95. MC Pharaoh says:

I understand mentioning Adu & Feilhaber because they have been with the US team for long periods of time & contributed heavily, BUT… Mentioning those two before Davis or Labrocca Ives (or whoever wrote this)? These are two midfielders who were far superior to both of those players in MLS this year & they continue to get a severe snub.

96. Justa Guy says:

I don’t get leaving out Freddy Adu.

97. Bryan says:

Sasha should’ve been #1

98. Justa Guy says:

Adu was the only bright spot in a dismal Gold Cup. Love to see him surrounded by Donovan, Shea, Altidore, and Dempsey.

99. marco says:

I agree with your snubs. I disagree that Omar is competing against just Gooch/Goodson. I see him competing for call-ups with everybody. If the conclusion is, will he beat out Boca, Gooch, Goodson, than ask that of the others and call no one else in.

‘He is not fast enough’….’international quality’

Are Puyol and Pique fast enough? WC and CCL winners. There are many not fast CBs.

100. marco says:

As a pinata.

101. marco says:

Tie, Omar and John both 6’4″

102. Adam M. says:

Did you learn about context in grade school English class, Matt? Forum, as used in that sentence, referred to “these games,” the two games on European soil coming up, as in “these games are not the forum to test players.” Its quite a feat for you to take from that word that I was implying it inappropriate for anyone commenting on this site to think or say that someone might have been snubbed. This is what happens when you let your disagreement with an opinion posted by someone you don’t know on a site about a game and people you don’t know become beholden to your uncontrolled emotion. You start to find motives and meaning that aren’t there to satisfy you need to be outraged, or at least to express it. I suggest you take a deep breath, repeatedly, until Klinsman has managed a game with actual consequences. You’ll be much more relaxed by then.

103. MicahK says:

Are you serious Wondo over Gomez ? Wondo has not even scored , nor assisted on any international goals. Gomez plays in a better league and scores, he has scored for the national team, and he is way better international quality than Wondo. Wondo sucks he is a waist of a roster spot.

104. CE says:

I watched him shoot the ball over the net while wide open and 5 yds from goal in the goal cup. He he had five games and has not scored. How many more games are does a striker get. Especially one that is not young or rated highly.

105. Colin Reese says:

How are John, Adu, and Feilhaber way below Kljestan, Gonzalez, and Gomez? It just shows people vote based on what they just read or heard on TV. Gomez and Gonzalez have been mentioned frequently in the past few days on TV and online.

Adu signed with Benfica
    John has a $4 million price tag
    Feilhaber left UCLA early to play in Germany

106. CE says:

this. one thing that irritates me is the calls for Gonzales, ream, or john. It really doesnt matter, they all would be competing for the fourth spot and that will be filled by brooks/boss/morales or someone else by the next world cup.

107. CE says:

“Adu signed with Benfica
    John has a $4 million price tag
    Feilhaber left UCLA early to play in Germany”
    These are poor justifications, after watching adu in person hopefully americans can stop hyping him. John has been poor since he got the price tag, maybe he has a future. Feilhaber has fallen down the depth chart after playing for one of the worst teams in the mls.

108. CE says:

hahaha nice

109. larry says:

Tim Ream. Despite his errors in Nats and Red Bull games this year, he showed his real self against LA last night. Without Marquez there to screw him up. He just needs to get his confidence re-stabilized in the post Marquez era.

110. Supsam says:

Wondo gets no love on this site. Even when every defender in the league knows that he is the ONLY scoring threat San Jose has yet he has scored at will and has led the league in scoring for 2 straight seasons. If Gomez and Buddle are in the conversation, Wondo’s name should be brought up as well

111. Supsam says:

how is Gomez “way better international quality than Wondo”?? Cuz he scored against Australia? Both guys need more caps to be judged accordingly. If Dempsey and Donovan can have so many off games, then Wondo cannot be written off

112. Getrealtime19 says:

Using Hypotheticals in your argument to counter facts is poor… He hasn’t scored, contributed, or been a factor at all in 5 games. The only chance he had was a sitter created and he blew it, bad. Gomez is better.

113. JoeW says:

First, Agudelo didn’t get a senior call up this time did he?

Second, in the limited opportunities both players have had, Agudelo has been far more impressive with better results.

114. SBI Troll says:

115. SBI Troll says:

Who?

116. CE says:

haha do your best to avoid following your gut in the future then

117. CE says:

He is good for the mls, not nearly international quality. I have not seen a site that he has got love on. 5 games is enough time for an international forward to score. He will be 31 for the next world cup but unlike gomez he offers nothing. Jozy will start with dempsey supporting him until agudelo or one of the young german forwards gets first team time with there clubs.

118. sam says:

maybe USA should have signed Hanse backe as coach of USA, that way we wont have to look at the biggest snub,,,cuz everyone knows backe doesnt play his bunch……but yeah of the list gomez & kljestan got snubbed. rogers, fizcal, buddle n even jones dont deserve to be called up…

119. boosted335 says:

John has not been poor since that date, his team has. John is 1 of 3 players to rank in the top 10 of the castrol EVERY month of the season. (Henry and OG are the other two)

John ended the season with the 3gols/1 assist. Leading or matching every other CB in the league.

John is just flat out CONSISTENTLY good. Only Omar has proved to be as consistent but John is quicker/faster/passes better than him.

John has never been selected to an ALL Star game despite playing like one 99% of the time 3 years running

John was awarded the “most underrated” award by mls.com last year instead of a best11 he deserved.

Rumor has it John was called into Mexico game by Bradley only for Klinnsmans people to call back and tell him he wasnt wanted.

John will likely be snubbed again this year for best 11

John’s whole existence in US soccer has been 1 big snub SO He gets my vote for this poll, Omar would be runner up

120. toropug says:

Geoff Cameron.

121. JPGR says:

Brad Davis…

yeah I know, he has a few years on him but he has a wicked left foot on set pieces and is a proven assist leader.

He’d be great starting or coming off the bench.

122. JPGR says:

Lets be honest…this snub thing has a positive to it.

I remember the days of the USMNT when the starters were easy to pick because there were no bench players.

It wasn’t that long ago.

We should be happy that we’re even having this conversation.

Great job Ives!

123. Steve McSteve says:

124. JPGR says:

Brad Davis has a few years on him but he has a wicked left foot on set pieces and is a proven assist leader.

He’d be great starting or coming off the bench.

125. JPGR says:

If you want to create chances then call in Brad Davis…why is this guy not on the roster…he still has some good years left and would be dynamite coming off the bench, if not starting. His left foot is magical.

126. Brett says:

As of now we have enough creators and enough guys who want to score, but we do not have that guy who happens to be in the right spot when a well-delivered cross comes in.

The major point is to reward the guy for scoring. It’s not like his team needs him, as he is basically only used as a sub.

127. Andy says:

Kljesten. He’s an in-form midfielder who can pick out a good pass. Lesser midfielders were inexplicably picked over him (Rogers!???)

Calling up Gonzalez to sit the bench when his team is still in the play-offs makes no sense. As for Gomez, he’s not in better form than Jozy, Buddle, or Landon and DaBease has equal form and a lot more versatility. In theory, Gomez deserves consideration, but in what is effectively a single-striker formation, some guys are going to be left out.

128. MicahK says:

I just explained why Gomez is better read my post again. Also, when Gomez was in MLS he scored like crazy too. Gomez scored on more than just Australia. You guys are bonkers to think Wondo is better than Gomez. Also, freaking Wondolowski is one year younger than Gomez. Wondo sucks internationally he is only good in MLS, but that is it. I bet he could not even score on a weak concacaf team.

129. MicahK says:

What is with the love of Wondo are you related to him. Man he blows internationally. five caps and zero goals that is a bad record.

130. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Who are the other three in front of Gonzales, Ream , John?

Boca, Gooch, Orozco-Fiscal?

131. Seriously says:

Comparing Wondo to Donovan is hilarious. Donovan’s first caps were when he was young. Wondo is hardly young. Donovan was a beast and everyone knew it. Wondo is only loved by San Jose fans and morons. Donovan was productive in national team games, Wondo missed an open net from 5 feet away.

See how that works Matt?

Now if you were complaining about the young, stud, productive, Juan Agudelo you might have a point. His draw back is not playing in first team games, but that is merely because Hans is an idiot. It would be hard to do less with the talent at NYRB than that fool has managed so Juan not getting PT there is no surprise. I also suspect that Jurgen wanted Agudelo to play with the U-23′s.

132. Seriously says:

So, a guy who is probably going to win defender of the year has a bad outing and that means he really isn’t deserving? Yet Orozco gets called in? Ream makes more mistakes in MLS than Gonzales by far yet he got called in plenty.

133. Joamiq says:

Rogers over Kljestan is the biggest head scratcher for me. I cannot think of a single justification for it.

134. PippoInzaghi says:

Matt and Tim,

Wondo and Gomez are competing against Clint Dempsey and Donovan. Those two are the only US players who can consistently score for the US.

I love Herc but if you examine his record very carefully you will find he is very streaky. He is either doing nothing or scoring like crazy. Wondo is more consistent but the problem with both is you have to keep sticking them in the lineup for a long time until they get hot. Five games, as you pointed out for Wondo, is not a long time.

And, unlike a club team, the USMNT cannot afford to wait on them. They don’t play enough games.

And being red hot for your club is no help because it seems both thrive on the familiarity of their club settings and then, put them in a completely different environment (such as the USMNT) and the acclimation process clock goes right back to zero. Wondo was pretty hot and going good when Bradley called him in.

Which is why many national team managers over the years have always stuggled with picking players like Wondo and Gomez.

Both Herc and Wondo are also good midfielders so you could justify including them on that basis if they aren’t scoring but Dempsey and Donovan are better midfielders as well.

As long as Dempsey and Donovan are around there is no room for Herc or Wondo.

And for those of you who think JK is a moron, do you really think you understand goalscoring and goal scorers better than him?

135. GW says:

The first thing to remember: we lost the Gold Cup Final. Badly.

Freddy has been hurt and can’t even crack the Philly lineup regularly. His last few months have not been impressive. When BB called him up he had been impressive in Turkey. Why should he get called up now? It would send him a bad message. He needs to remember:

Play bad, no call up

Play good, call up

None of the guys you named are anything other than fringe US players at this point.

Unless they really step up their club performances I can see all of them never getting another call up, and even that may not help because club performance is only one of the many variables JK seems to use when deciding on who to call up.

I find it interesting that everyone takes him at his word when he talks about how he

picks players. It would probably be more accurate to say he has told us the general parameters of what he is looking for but he is purposely vague on the specifics.

USMNT fans take his pronouncements as some sort of Pirate rules when the reality is they are more like Pirate Guidelines.

Managers need and want flexibility because they are the ones with their asses on the line and the ones who are right on the sidelines so they should have it.

Most US fans seem to have some sort of Fantasy league table where they rate players and they think that is how you put together a team. It is not and never will be.

There are a million factors no fantasy league system will ever be able to account for.

136. joe says:

and i would agree with you 100%. Philly stood not one chance the other night with Cameron in the back. when he is on, he’s a vacuum. a huge, quick, well footed, silky smooth vacuum.

137. gtv says:

Adu has skills no one else on the roster has. Maybe the skills don’t fit in whatever are Klinsmann is trying to establish.

138. Kipp says:

1. Gonzalez
    2. Gomez

Out of the options above those are my picks, hands-down.

You can find some other thoughts on the US defense and call ups here at offthelaces.com

139. ACS says:

How does Brad Rusin in the pecking order for CB? 25 yo 6’4 big guy who isn’t afraid to take it the distance if anyone has seen that goal of his and starting in the same league as Goodson and Parkhurst

140. JW says:

+1 It’s not that you couldn’t call it a snub (Beas at F over Wondo?), it’s that Herc is obviously a bigger snub. He’s the only player in the poll that I would consider starting, FWIW.

141. CE says:

goodson, boca, and gooch

142. CE says:

His form dipped after the failed move, you cant just blame his team. I agree he might have a future but he is down the depth chart, behind gooch, boca, and goodson. I said he might have potential and he is better than fiscal but its kind of irrelevant. A move abroad could help his chances but for now we have the three I mentioned above, Whitbread (injured)playing in the EPL, JA Brooks who turned down a Bayern move to sign a 4 year contract with hertha, morales, and boss all in contention for the 3-4 centerback spot.

143. CE says:

Rusin, Parkhurst, and Whitbread when he gets back from injury all deserve shots imo.

144. Hush says:

Sasha the CLOWN Klejstan?? Really?? I can care less if this clown scores 10000 goals at Anderlech. He is not USMNT material! He has proven that.

Adu over Sasha & Rogers any day. ADU in the short time he has been in a U.S jersey has contributed far more in less minutes played than the two clowns mention above. Fact.

Gomez & Adu are the biggest snubs.

145. Matt says:

Wondo has only been caled in during the off-season (when he obviously had not had any game sin months) and the Gold Cup in June (when he was not in a hot streak).