Who should the USMNT start vs. France?

USAEcuadorFlagTeam (ISIPhotos.com)

The U.S. men's national team returns to action on Friday with a match-up against France, a match that should tell us plenty about the current state of Jurgen Klinsmann's team.

Klinsmann will have a strong group to choose from for Friday's match. Both Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey will be available, and German-born Fabian Johnson is set to make his national team debut.

Here is the team Klinsmann will have to choose from against France:

GOALKEEPERS Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS- Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Timmy Chandler (N├╝rnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon)

MIDFIELDERS- Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

So what lineup could we see on Friday? Here is a squad we could see Klinsmann turn to, as well as the lineup I think would be the best one to go with against France:

PROJECTED USMNT lineup vs. FRANCE

———————Altidore———————-

Shea—————Dempsey————Williams

———-Beckerman——-Bradley—————-

Chandler—Bocanegra—Onyewu—-Cherundolo

———————Howard————————

The above lineup is the squad I can see Klinsmann giving a look to. As much as I think we will see Fabian Johnson get a look, I don't see him breaking into the starting lineup for this one.

(UPDATE- with Landon Donovan skipping the match, the lineup has been adjusted to move Danny Williams to the right flank, and sliding Michael Bradley into the starting lineup. If the USA was playing a weaker opponent, I could see Fabian Johnson starting and just one defensive midfielder in the lineup, but with all the problems France can pose, you can expected to see a lineup similar to this one.)

The back four seems to be all but set, though you would wonder if Klinsmann would try out newcomer Alfredo Morales at right back. It seems more likely we would see changes to the back-line in the friendly against Slovenia on Tuesday.

The biggest question mark is in defensive midfield, where Klinsmann's affinity for Beckerman is well documented. With Danny Williams playing in his more natural central midfield role, this squad will have the tenacious bulldog who can do the dirty work while Beckerman distributes from deep in midfield. It isn't the tandem I would start, but it seems to be a good bet for Klinsmann, who could also go with Jermaine Jones in place of Williams.

So what lineup would I go with against France? It's not much different, save for the two defensive midfield slots:

———————Altidore———————–

Shea—————Johnson————–Dempsey

—————Edu———-Bradley—————–

Chandler—Bocanegra—Onyewu—-Cherundolo

———————Howard————————

(UPDATE- Landon Donovan's absence leads to a shifting of Clint Dempsey to the right wing and Fabian Johnson in the starting lineup. Why? Johnson is a natural playmaker so seeing him work the midfield is an intriguing proposition.)

Klinsmann has stayed away from the Edu-Bradley pairing since taking over as head coach, and there seems to be a belief from him that these two are too similar, and that Bradley can't handle a heavily defensive role. This is far from accurate. While Bradley has certainly always taken on a more attack-minded role in his time with the national team, he can certainly handle being a deeper-lying option. In fact, with Serie A side Chievo that is exactly what he is doing. I'm aware that Edu hasn't exactly stood out during his appearances under Klinsmann, but we also haven't seen him paired with Bradley.

I also wouldn't mind seeing another run of the Bradley-Jermaine Jones tandem. Before you go with the "We saw Bradley and Jones in Gold Cup and it didn't work" argument, I would argue that both players can work well in this set-up when they are on form and both are now playing regular and playing well in some of the top leagues in the world.

==

What lineup would you like to see the USA play against France? Which of the above lineups do you see having the best chance of beating the French?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

177 Responses to Who should the USMNT start vs. France?

1. Henry says:

i think that he should play Williams and Johnson together. They play together in their clubs so they should know how to work together.

2. RK says:

Start the Germans! The French will back down.

3. MicahK says:

I hate that Klinsmann only uses one forward!!!!!! If you look at our success in games we have won and almost upset quality teams we used two forwards. If he keeps using one forward and we are not scoring I will call for the mans head to be fired. Even in the world cup when we struggled we used two forwards and we still won the group.

4. malkin says:

—–Rogers-Rogers——–

Rogers-Rogers-Rogers-Rogers

Rogers-Rogers-Rogers-Rogers

——–Howard————

5. wilyboy says:

I’d agree with Ives’ lineup, except that I want to see Johnson step in at leftback, at least for 20 minutes. Everyone knows Dolo is not going to make Brazil, that Chandler is the best right back we have. Time to see what Johnson can do at the position, stat.

6. Thomas says:

agreed ives..seems the most logical

7. Henry says:

I laughed so hard when i read this.

8. Sean says:

You forgot Rogers in goal…

9. swoopy says:

if Beckerman plays he’d better show more than he did last time out. love to see williams and johnson get long looks.

10. MicahK says:

I agree he has been slowing down play every game I am so tired of seeing him.

11. T says:

I liked the projected lineup better.

12. Bryson says:

I agree, but it makes it tough when Dolo has been one of our most consistent and solid players of any position.

13. Bryson says:

Where does Fabian Johnson play for Hoffenheim?

14. Chris H says:

I have been a Beckermann proponent in the past (mostly cuz I’m an RSL homer), believing that after a few games his speed of play in distribution would increase, but if his decision-making continues to be consistently a half second late I think it would be time to move on. Who would you put in his spot?

15. bryan says:

Howard
    Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Johnson
    Williams, Bradley
    Chandler, LD, Shea
    Dempsey

This is a 4-2-3-1 but it’s possible to play in a 4-4-2 by moving LD up. Or, sit LD and start Jozy in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

16. Dinho says:

I don’t think Donovan should start. There, I said it (and I’m a Galaxy supporter). Play Johnson out there. Let’s see what he has.

I wouldn’t start Edu. He hasn’t shown much. I’d like to see Jones and Williams in the middle.

Also, I’d like to see a Goodson/Boca pairing.

And, please let Dempsey play higher than an CAM.

So, it would look something like this:

———- Altidore—————–

————–Dempsey—————

Shea——–Williams ———– Johnson

———–Jones———————-

Chandler–Boca—-Goodson—— Dolo

————Howard———————

17. Marcus says:

Yeah, my biggest issue with Beckerman is his vision. If you ever watch him play, he never opens up to the field when he receives a ball. He keeps his back to most of the play and seems to want to get rid of the ball as soon as possible…it’s like hot potato with him.

18. joel says:

———————Altidore———————-

Shea—————Dempsey————Donovan

———-Bradley——Williams—————

Chandler—Bocanegra—Onyewu—-Cherundolo

———————Howard————————

19. Chris H says:

I think that would turn into a 4-6. Dempsey was great in the hole last game, he should start there again. I want to see the attacking foursome of LD, Deuce, Shea, and Altidore in action before removing all out-and-out strikers from the equation.

20. reed says:

———————Altidore———————–

Shea—————Dempsey————–Donovan

———–Beckerman———-Bradley—————–

Chandler—Bocanegra—Onyewu—-Goodson———–

———————Howard————————

21. Dan says:

Is Landon Donovan really going to spend 24 hours on flights during a week he should be preparing for MLS Cup?

22. Yaznasty says:

Wow, you really think Klinsmann would be foolish enough to try this lineup? How about something like

——Rogers-Rogers——
    Rogers-Rogers-Rogers-Rogers
    Orozco-Orozco-Orozco-Orozco
    ———-Howard————

23. Chris H says:

Um, Goodson is way out of place there, what was your reasoning for putting him there?

24. bryan says:

yeah, it’s very possible it could. i certainly have no issue keeping chandler at LB and putting LD out wide. WHich would allow Dempsey to move into the hole with Jozy up top.

25. JG13 says:

What I’d like to see isn’t going to happen, as we have too many holding mids. I’d like to see:

Jozy
    Clint
    Brek Benny LD
    Jones
    Chandler Boca Gooch Dolo
    Howard

Since that isn’t happening, I’d settle for the projected line up with Jones or Bradley instead of Beckerman.

26. Chris H says:

The answer according the ussoccer.com is yes

27. PetedeLA says:

Me too.

At the same time, I feel bad for Bradley. He’s always given so much for the national team. Many times I felt his performances were captaincy-worthy.

For a defensive mid, he’s scored a fair amount of goals. And many of them have been vitally important.

Has Klinsmann forgotten that?

28. baquito alyeska says:

What about a Bradley – Williams DMid pairing?

29. Udo says:

sit EDU insert Jones/Williams

30. Poo says:

Um rogers cant play in a 442 format, he is much better in a 451. Otherwise correct.

31. Grubbsbl says:

I’ll throw out something different:

————–Howard————–
    Dolo-Onyewu-Boca-Chandler
    ————–Beckerman———
    -Williams—Bradley——–Shea
    ——Dempsey—Donovan

Donovan’s pace will stretch the field and open up space for Dempsey. Additionally, Donovan can be wasted wide by not getting him the ball more. In this set up Williams does not play as a natural right mid but someone who pinches in for quick combinations in the midfield opening space for the overlapping fullback (see Barcalona or Muller’s role for Germany in the World Cup).

32. bryan says:

This is basically what I have above. But I say let Johnson play on the left and move Chandler back to the right, but ahead of Dolo.

33. bryan says:

Goodson doesn’t play RB.

34. Mat says:

———————Altidore———————-

Donovan—————Williams————Dempsey

———-Johnson——Jones—————

Chandler—Bocanegra—Onyewu—-Cherundolo

———————Howard————————

I think the Bundesliga guys all start

35. Alex says:

Its more than likely that Bruce Arena is going to annouce the day that LD’s supposed to leave that he has a strained finger muscle and won’t be able to make the trip

36. Tom says:

LMFAO!!!

37. Grubbsbl says:

Beckerman plays simply because he is the most tactically disciplined center mid we have, which is a necessity in facilitating the modern day overlapping fullback. Also, he is much better at keeping the ball than Edu or Jones. A know a lot of people get annoyed with his short passing game, but that is his role is possession. He is the pivot that simply changes the direction of the field.

Finally, our new strength is in the midfield. And our goal should be getting the best players on the field. If that’s the case, Altidore is the odd man out. I am glad he is having a great season but Dempsey is just a better forward right now. Donovan too.

38. Chris H says:

He leaves today (Beckerman too) and they both get to camp in Europe tomorrow

39. T says:

Bradley doesn’t fit well in Klinsmann more offensive minded system, more often then not he slows the game down upon touching the ball, and offers little going forward. When it comes to set pieces, Bocanegra/Onyewu and Bradley have scored a few in recent memory, which is about the only thing I think he contributes to, in terms of “offense”.

40. cj says:

It’s really MLS’ problem. It’s an international fixture date, when will MLS wake up and hire a scheduler.

41. bryan says:

I doubt Shea sits. JK pretty much said he is a starter.

42. MicahK says:

I would put two forawrds up top Buddle and Altidore, though I would prefer to see Gomez and Altidore start, but Gomez did not get called up. I would put Bradley and Williams, Bradley and Jones, or Johnson and Williams in the middle.

43. MG3 says:

———–Altidore———————

——————–Donovan————-

Shea———-Dempsey———–Williams

—————-Bradley—————–

–Chandler—Bocanegra—Onyewu—Dolo–

—————Howard——————-

44. Mike M says:

————-Jozy—————–
    ——-Deuce————

Shea——————————-Donovan

————Bradley–Johnson/Williams

Chandler—Gooch—–Boca——-Dolo

45. TomG says:

I’d like to see more experimentation w/ 2 forwards as well, but it’s way too early to call for the headsman (or the guillotine, I supppose if we’re in France).

46. Mike M says:

I believe Fabian Johnson can play attacking middy which is something we need for sure so Klinsi should give it a look. I like beckerman, but Bradley/Williams/Jones are just flat out better as the deep lying midfielder. Will be interesting once holden gets back, another good option in the CM.

47. PD says:

If JK were PD, Gomez would have been called instead of Rogers, and I would have called in Gonzalez to pat his ego a bit.

Moving on…

—————-Howard—————
    -Cherundolo Goodson Bocanegra Chandler-
    ———–Jones—–Bradley———-
    Donovan——-Dempsey———–Shea
    ———–Altidore——————-

Onyewu sat the weekend out with a groin injury which is why Goodson gets the nod for me.

Johnson, Edu, Beckerman, Williams, Buddle, Fiscal would all get some match minutes.

I think Ives’ prediction is pretty spot on, maybe Jones for Williams.

48. memdfmmf says:

it’s really weird to see Bradley not being the no1 choice in mid-field. Klinsmann has Beckerman as his 1st choice but Beckerman belongs in MLS.

We need 2 of the following – Bradley, Edu, Holden, Jones, Torres.

49. away goals says:

MB has definitely had his share of MotM performances for the nats. But that was in a system that emphasized his strengths.

JK’s team won’t live and die by its work rate the way the usmnt of old did.

Not saying MB can’t fit into a possession offense. I’m hoping he competes (with somebody besides beckerman) for beckerman’s spot.

50. memdfmmf says:

Jurgennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, dude you need to give Gomez a call-up next year. He will play a great role in qualifying, trust me

51. TomG says:

He is a good distributor in MLS. He just is not accustomed to the faster pace of play in Euro and International football. He is a human turnover right now in the same way Sacha was before he went to Europe. He really needs to do a year in Europe, but I’m not sure anyone will want him b/c he’s not a young guy that they can develop. It’s too bad, b/c he is a good destroyer. He gets to everything, but he absolutely kills the US attack. He is the main reason we are not scoring any goals under Klinsi. The attack starts from the center mid and all too frequently with Beckerman, the attack dies from the center mid.

52. Adam M. says:

Bingo, except maybe switch Williams and Dempsey.

53. Bryson says:

But can Williams and Jones get much going offensively? I think that is the problem with all of our CMs, they all play a similar style.

54. memdfmmf says:

Only capable striker we have is Jozy Altidore.

Bunbury, Agudelo will play roles in qualifying but they’re definitely not at the right level.

Buddle, Gomez won’t be at the 2014 WC but will play a supporting role in qualifying.

55. away goals says:

Yes please.

With f johnson and jones competing with bradley and williams for those cm spots.

56. Bryson says:

True that.

57. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

I actually just giggled.

58. memdfmmf says:

I bet Goodson is pissed. He would be starting centerback had it not been for Gooch’s re-emergence and Bocanegra’s great form for Rangers. Goodson needs to play better in denmark and move to Holland or Germany before 2014 if he wants to be a starter at the WC.

59. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

——Rogers-Rogers——
    Rogers-Rogers-Rogers-Rogers
    Castillo-Orozco-Orozco-Orozco
    ———-Howard————

60. Bryson says:

I like the creativity but I am not sure if Howard has enough of a goal scoring instinct to play up top.

61. bryan says:

he is used mainly as a defender but can be a holding mid.

62. Bryson says:

Interesting, I actually like that. Who knows if it will work but it should inject our central midfield with some more offensive fire power.

63. beachbum says:

meh, Coach Klinsmann doesn’t need to call him up. It’s revealing that, as LD goes for the MLS Cup in 2 weeks, that Coach feels the need to call him in at all, for a friendly, in Europe. If LD gets nicked up and can’t play in the MLS Cup Final…….

I just can’t believe Klinsmann will do it for a friendly, plenty of other options

but LD will start. hope I’m wrong

64. TomG says:

I disagree in this sense: MB is a much, much, much, much, much better distributor and offensive player than Beckerman at this level. Beckerman is a wonderful destroyer. He gets to everything, but he is a human turnover when playing high level international opponents. He simply cannot handle the pace because he isn’t used to it. MB has several years experience in 2 of the top 4 leagues in the world where the pace is lightning fast. I don’t see Beckerman being able to adjust without playing in Europe in a top 4 league for at least a year and I’m not sure that’s even possible. Midfield is where the attack starts and that’s why we don’t score any goals under Klinsi. Beckerman, Edu, etc. look great in training but when the pace is ratcheted up, they misplay the ball and the attack dies. We desperately need Bradley’s distribution.

65. G in Humboldt says:

Rotate Dempsey up, Donovan right, and Williams center, maybe. I think Dempsey would have too much defending/orchestrating responsibility to use his abilities in front of goal to the best effect. Or maybe that’s what you want to see?

66. Kodi says:

How bout dem tigers!!

67. away goals says:

“Donovan can be wasted wide by not getting him the ball more.”

The new (though far from perfected) pass-happy offense should solve this problem.

That was how donovan was so effective at everton during his stint there. Their midfield could work the ball around until it created space for donovan. Then they’d find him.

68. DeAndre Tyrone Washington says:

I want to seen an ALL BLACK lineup just because France is bringing mostly white players.

Maybe all the “What if Lebron or Kobe played soccer” idiot fan boys will finally shut up if we get pasted 5-0

69. Dinho says:

I don’t disagree, but I think these two (of the bunch) have the most potential to spark something.

We know Beckerman and Edu aren’t offensive-minded. Bradley would like to think he is, but I have not seen much.

I think these two give us our best shot…

70. Vic says:

I would go with:

Dempsey Donovan

Shea Johnson Williams

Jones

Chandler Boca Oneywu Cherundolo

71. MC Pharaoh says:

Altidore Dempsey

Donovan

Johnson Bradley

Jones

Chandler Boca Gooch Cherundolo

Howard

We will see those top attacking three interchange & take shifts out wide. I dont think there will be a natural wide starting player though. I expect Jurgen to use that deep lying defensive mid and our best option there is Jones. We dont need 2 in Jones & Beckerman so Beckerman will likely back Jones up. Then I would expect Fabian Johnson to start & Michael Bradley deserves to start looking at his form of recent. This is the best 11 players that can fit on the field at once in this squad.

72. bryan says:

Exactly. And Williams likes getting forward. I think he would work well in that role.

73. away goals says:

Seek help.

74. Luke says:

great theory but i personally think the best players should start

75. SWED says:

“most tactically disciplined center mid we have”????? Not a chance. Beckerman is good practice squad cover. I would take any other mid in the squad over beckerman.

76. DeAndre Tyrone Washington says:

Seek common sense

77. Bryson says:

Altidore
    Shea – Dempsey – Donovan
    Williams – Jones
    Chandler – Onyewu – Bocanegra – Cherundolo

I would like to see Fabian Johnson get some significant time at either outside mid or RB/LB. I would also like to see Alfredo Morales get some time at one one of the two out defensive positions, just so that we can see what he is all about.

78. blaise213 says:

I thought the point of friendlies is to try out new players ? Im giving all the german-americans the go ahead! Lets see what the newbies can do!

———————Dempsey———————–

Shea—————F.Johnson————–Donovan—–

—————Jones———-Williams—————-

Chandler—Bocanegra—Onyewu—-Morales————–

———————Howard————————

79. Tyler says:

LOLOLOL

80. PD says:

agreed, plus Shea and Chandler seem to be forming a good undertanding of each other…. makes me wonder where this leaves Lichaj, who I though was the foregone starter at LB before his injury…

81. Tyler says:

If none of our “ALL BLACK” players are Kobe Bryant/Lebron James then we will have solved nothing…

82. PD says:

There are a lot of characteristics to like about DredBecks, and I do understand why JK wants to see him succeed, BUT I really think starting him against France might backfire.

I still think his passing choices are a little too slow and a little too inaccurate. I’m not asking him to be Xavi, but if he’s the fulrcum on which the transition game hinges, he needs to have a 85 percent accuracy and I don’t think he’s been anywhere near that. If that doesn’t rise the French will run riot with this.

Plus, isn’t he gonna just be gassed now that RSL is done?

83. Sam says:

Doesn’t Johnson play some left back? If so, we could get Chandler back on the right side; which we may want to do in the long run with Cherundolo perhaps starting to decline. So something like this:

Altidore
    Shea – Dempsey – Donovan
    Williams – Bradley
    Johnson – Onyewu – Boca – Chandler

84. PD says:

“MB is a much, much, much, much, much better distributor and offensive player than Beckerman at this level. Beckerman is a wonderful destroyer. He gets to everything, but he is a human turnover when playing high level international opponents. ”

spot on, bro.

85. Union says:

Give me a break Ives. I can deal with your arrogance when it comes to saying you know more than the average fan. I love that its now that you know more than Jurgen Klinsmann.

Williams and F. Johnson will be starting together, mark my words. And they will likely be starting over Edu/Bradley. And I bet Jurgen goes a traditional 2/4/4 with Dempsey/Jozy up top and a midfield of:

Shea—–D. Williams (holding mid)—-F. Johnson (attacking mid)——Donovan

86. Sam says:

accidentally overlooked wilyboy saying the same earlier in the comments..

87. PD says:

um… what about that dude from LA who is poppin goals in like a tenny bopper snaps gum… whatsis name… Magee?

88. PD says:

i want to see an all Christian team since France is completely overrun by the Muslim satanists… then at the half sub in six Jews….

wow that DOES sound as crazy….

89. PD says:

“I love that its now that you know more than Jurgen Klinsmann.”

um, isn’t that we’re all doing here?

90. Idaho Brian says:

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Fabian Johnson starting in this game. Jurgen has shown that he has no hesitation to throw a guy into the starting XI right away when he inserted Danny Williams into the fray last time…I have a feeling we will see the same thing with Fabian…

91. Primoone says:

———Josimer———

RunDMB–Clint–LD—Timmy

———-Jones———-

Fabian-Fiscal-Gooch–Dolo

———-#1————-

Or

–RunDmb—Duece—–LD–

–Jones—Junior—-Tim–

Fabian—LOS–Gooch–Dolo

———-1————-

92. Bryson says:

words marked

93. Turgid Jacobian says:

I’m getting worried about The Mayor. He’s been more and more on the bench.

94. Primoone says:

Mom use to say ” if you cant say something nice…then don’t say anything at all” And dadgumit…thats what Ima gonna do!

However, the temptation is killing me…

95. Union says:

No. Prognosticating on what we think the lineup will be, especially being as though we are fans, is different from blatantly saying “Klinsmann thinks that Bradley and Edu are the same player, but he is wrong”. Thats a bold statement from a member of the media. And its also a habitual thing from our friend Ives. Constantly trumpeting his own opinion as though it were completely objectively. Especially bc he is often wrong.

96. Union says:

completely objective*

97. EA says:

————-Rogers-Rogers————-
    Beckerman-Beckerman-Beckerman-Beckerman
    –Orozco—-Orozco—-Orozco—-Orozco–
    —————-Howard—————–

98. PD says:

please understand it’s a sarcastic response to the cracker bastard up top…

99. Angel FAN of USA says:

—————-Howard—————-

100. getrealtime19 says:

4-4-2
    f-Jozy Deuce
    lm-break; cam donovan, rm-chandler
    cdm-jones/bradley
    lb-johnson, cb-boca, gooch(hurt?) rb dolo

g-Riblaaahhh timmyyy

101. call me nutty says:

—-Deuce—-Jozy—-LD—-
    ———–Junior———-
    ——Williams—Jones—–
    TC–Boca–Gooch–F.Johnson
    ———Howard———–

102. Jaason says:

Howard is going to make the Orozco’s, Beckerman’s and the Roger’s look to good so JK might give them another shot.

103. I JIK I RED BULLZ says:

He plays CAM. He barley never plays LB for Hoffenheim so it can be a big mistake putting him there unless he’s up for the huge challenge.

104. Rainstpub says:

We should invade France with our talented boys.

The French will fold as usual.

Check out the site. Pretty funny!!!

link to invadefrance.us

105. Klaus says:

While two defensive midfielders would help abate France’s attack going forward, I’m partial to the USMNT going with two up top.

——————Altidore—————
    ——————–Dempsey————–
    —Shea———-Williams——Donovan—
    —————–Bradley—————–
    –Chandler—–Boca–Gooch——-Dolo–

106. Sam says:

Wait, what? The media and fans can’t legitimately criticize Klinsmann’s strategic choices or player evaluations? I’m still pro-Klinsmann, but that is an insane position. No one has to agree with Ives or me over Klinsmann, but what’s the point of reading and discussing this stuff if we aren’t allowed to disagree with the coach’s judgments?

107. ronniet says:

i’d switch williams and johnson then switch johnson and dempsey so clint is tucked under altidore…thats a mean lineup!

108. tielor2d says:

PASS IT TO THE GERMANS!!!

109. GW says:

Dolo is the best US right back.

Chandler is the best US left back.

Lichaj at his best, is not in the same class with those two.

There are a number of others to try out for he left back slot so even if Dolo declines, and you all are just dying for him to leave the scene, Lichaj will have a hard time getting back on this US team as anything other than a part timer.

110. What is the point of using Beckerman? Ever?

111. SuperChivo says:

I like this formation, but now that Donovan is not on board I would like to see Johnson wide right and Edu where you have Williams. My understanding is that Williams is a more defensive midfielder for his club and less established for his side than Johnson, who is more of an attacking midfielder.

112. Brian says:

I think the French will prevent our offensive attack up the middle, start the Germans (Chandler and Johnson) and attack the flanks!!!!

113. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

I must say I am quite content at the moment.

114. marco says:

Howard, Gooch, Rogers, Jozy, Deuce,
    and all 6 DMs.

115. marco says:

Yes the Germans will out-flank the French and come in through Belgium, Kljestan will light flares.

116. Brian says:

I’m glad someone got my joke. Ahh the brilliance of the Maginot Line

117. fischy says:

I think you’re spot on with the lineup, with the possible exception of right wing. I’d say odds are against WIlliams getting the start. I have a hunch Rogers gets the nod, but Shea is a strong possibility.

118. footyskillz says:

People like you ruin sites like this.

119. Billy says:

——-Altidore——Beasley——–
    –Shea–Bradley–Dempsey–Johnson–
    Chandler–Boca–Goodison–Cherundolo

120. solles says:

we have so many good midfielders it makes sense to play the 4-2-3-1, though I agree it can be ugly on the offensive end, but who do we have at forward right now anyway.

with Donovan out though, I agree with the 4-4-2, give the keys to Dempsey, let the quick kids run up and down the wings, throw Altidore and Beasley up front, Beasley has some veteran guile to add to Altidore’s bull.

121. GW says:

Rommel never attacked the Maginot Line on the flanks or otherwise.

He simply bypassed it.

122. steveo says:

the real question is, would that line-up beat

Ching-E.Johnson
    Beasley-Klestjan-Klestjan-Beasley
    Bornstein-Bornstein-Bornstein-Bornstein

123. primoone says:

post was meant to be a reply to The fine example of how not to go about life as demonstrated by the idiot with diarreah of the mouth.

124. Louis Z says:

here is my line up.

Altidore

Dempsey

Shea Johnson Chandler

Williams

Boca Edu Goodson Dolo

you have your best flank attacks that USMNT has ever had. You have the interior mid of two Germicans that already play together. Boca is playing great for club as a natural LB, Edu is the question mark here, I like him because I think he is more suited for the role, and Dolo is dolo.

125. Supsam says:

i wouldnt put Rogers on the wings though haha

126. Tyrone says:

I ain’t no cracka. I’m a BLACK MAN

127. Two Cents says:

I agree. Starting together in the bundesliga for a good team means chemistry and skill. I really think it can be a good partnership, especially because I would prefer to see Williams in his normal DM position as opposed to the right side of midfield.

Klinsmann Likely:

———-Altidore———–
    ——Dempsey—————-
    Shea——–Edu——–Rogers
    ———–Beckerman———
    Chandler—Boca—Gooch—Dolo
    ———–Howard————

My Lineup (Given the players on the roster):

——-Altidore——Buddle—–
    Shea–Johnson–Williams–Dempsey
    Chandler—Boca—Gooch—Dolo
    ———–Howard————-

128. Dennis says:

I’ve given up guessing what Klinsmann will do.

I just hope he figures out some lineup than can score actual goals.

129. Brian says:

You’re just arguing semantics. The Germans invaded Belgium, flanked the Maginot and conquered France in a couple days.

130. Dennis says:

Onweyu did not play due to a groin injury this past weekend. Maybe he will not start!

131. Lil' Zeke says:

damn straight, bloak

132. Mike Magee who has less goals than Teal Bunbury, Justin Braun, Chris Pontius, Chris Wondolowski, Brian Ching, Conor Casey,Juan Agudelo and Charlie Davies? Also the same Mike Magee who is 27 and would be 30 by WC14? Why exactly would Jurgen waste time with him? He’s got 3 goals in the playoffs. Great, he had 5 all season. He’s had a hot month and is backed up by some of the best players in the league. Doesn’t mean he deserves a USMNT spot.

133. Todd says:

Altidore deserves to be in this useless lineup.

134. Todd says:

That means Altidore would be on the bench. Sorry. I cant stand him on the usmnt. Our team will always remain mediocre as long as he is a starter.

135. abc says:

Actually this is Klinsmann’s ideal roster of “guys who should barely be getting call ups if at all, yet for the most part are now US camp regulars”:

———–Buddle—Buddle———–
    Beasley–Beckerman–Larentowicz-Rogers
    Castillo—Orozco—Orozco—Castillo

136. biff says:

Yeah. I love the top five spots of your line-up, with Chandler on the right flank.

———-Altidore——-

———-Dempsey——–

Shea—-Johnson——-Chandler

Four of the guys are 22 years old or younger, with the tough veteran Clint Dempsey in the middle. I would give just about anything to see a starting line-up with those five on top against France. And if doesn’t work, well, back to the drawing board. I think at some point, sooner rather than later, a big club is going to pay a big transfer fee for Chandler and turn him into an attacking midfielder.

Williams at holding mid? Maybe. I think he is capable of handling it. But Jermaine Jones has been a defensive beast the past few weeks for Schalke and I think chances are good Klinsmann will want his nastiness in the starting line-up against France as an enforcer. But he is a loose canon and always a potential red card.

Unlike some who are touting MB now as a strong defender, I don’t think MB could handle being the lone defensive midfielder as played by Beckerman, who has done a solid job in that highly demanding role. Each time MB was subbed in against Honduras and Ecuador in the second half, he came in paired with Beckerman, playing a bit ahead of Beckerman. He has not yet been put in that hot spot alone under Klinsmann. Since MB’s bad showing against Inter Milan, where he was playing a 100% purely defensive role and was constantly being beaten, his coach has pulled him forward from that position. Who knows? Maybe Klinsmann will give MB a tryout as the lone holding mid and maybe MB will handle it, but I am skeptical. I see MB now more as a very poised and skilled second half sub who can be brought in to hold leads (if we ever get one). And as Ives notes, Klinsmann might be wise to put the lone holding midfield experiment on ice against France and instead go with two defensive midfielders.

Is Boca really playing left back for the Rangers? The games I saw earlier this season he was left center back. I do think Edu might be able to be a solid center back. Would be interesting to see him in that role. He could probably distribute better than some of the other options.

137. AS says:

Ahaha very nice – As for the projected line-up: I would like Ive’s 1st projected line-up but replace Williams with Fabian Johnson on the right and replace Beckerman with Williams (His natural position and I believe he and Bradley will pair well). IMO this line-up would be pretty damn good.

138. Andy says:

Will Gooch start? He didn’t even dress this weekend…

139. JGD says:

The first line-up is certainly what we should take-in against France.

Against Slovenia, I’d trot out this team:

————Altidore————–

Shea———Johnson——-Dempsey

——Jones———-Bradley——-

Johnson–Bocanegra–Onyewu–Chandler

————–Howard————–

140. JGD says:

Oops make that Williams at LB. I believe he’s played there for Hoffenheim.

141. JGD says:

Also, if Klinsmann is committed to a single target-man up top, when are we going to see Teal Bunbury? He’s at least as skilled as Altidore.

Sapong would fill that role nicely in the next couple years too.

142. JD in FL says:

I think that you are underestimating Lichaj. He can play either side, and “at his best” he shut down Gareth Bale – who isn’t a slouch. I personally like the fact that we have a few good outside defenders that are still young enough that we could see substantial improvement.

143. treasure22 says:

it just does not matter. Lose the Sash and then all of this talk will be worth something.

144. RK says:

I think you would’ve been happy with the Rugby World Cup, then.

145. DC Josh says:

I am interested in seeing Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams. I don’t know anything about them, especially Johnson.

146. Joamiq says:

Seek your own advice

147. Joamiq says:

Sorry, but that’s his job. His insights are why I come to this site. If you’re not looking for analysis, this isn’t the site for you.

148. Joamiq says:

It would be great if Beckerman could actually do any of this, but he can’t. He doesn’t win many tackles in midfield and his idea of distribution is to look around and make the first easy pass that he sees.

149. Joamiq says:

This is completely true.

150. Joamiq says:

He’s not even that great of a destroyer internationally, actually. He had a grand total of 3 tackles in the last two games combined.

151. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Who would you replace him with?

152. Louis Z says:

Jones is stronger but as you said he is so prone to getting cards. I thought BOCA plays mostly as a LB. My lineup main purpose was to get us more chances to score which we haven’t done in a while, Chandler can make a cross out of nothing, that was point. Agreed, this lineup has no chance until the second game.

153. Louis Z says:

Sapong just got rookie of the year award, I expect him to be well involved with the senior team sometime in the next year. He missed the Olys by 4 days. He has alot of upside.

154. Goalscorer24 says:

Good one!

155. Thomas says:

I like the idea of Fabian getting a look in the ‘playmaker’ spot Dempsey has occupied. But if you do that and put Dempsey out right he doesn’t just have a tendency, he has a determination to pinch in meaning the second ‘defensive’ midfielder on the right should be able to run up and take Dempsey’s spot on the right flank. That’s why I think a Danny Williams would be good in defensive mid alongside Bradley/Jones/Edu, but I think Bradley would be best.

————Howard—————

-Dolo–Gooch–Boca–Timmy-

—————-Bradley———-

——Williams——————–

—-Dempsey————-Shea–

————–Johnson————-

—————-Altidore———-

Side Note: Ideally, once Holden is healthy I like him as the second ‘defensive’ midfielder since he’s been great at tracking back with Bolton and can push up to take up a wide left position when Dempsey pinches in.

But then again I’m an idiot.

156. bryan says:

because he had a groin injury, which the AA rewind says.

157. bryan says:

pretty much every US coach has tried to figure that out.

158. bryan says:

I like this too. I wouldn’t care who starts; Jones, Bradley or Williams. What I would change is your back line. Edu hasn’t played CB since…a long time. I’d put Gooch in.

159. no love nola says:

roll green wave

160. Murph says:

Shea—-Altidore—-Dempsey

Johnson————-Williams

———Bradley————

Morales—Boca—Gooch—Chandler

161. kelso says:

yes. there is no one to replace him with. Also, Jozy has suddenly started playing his best soccer for the USMNT in my opinion. That is JK’s biggest sucess so far in my opinion

162. peaton says:

Actually, this team seems strong. I know that Torres has struggled, but we miss a player of his qualities, and what about Bedoya? Is he not rated over Rodgers? Is he out injured? And what about Rolf?

163. GW says:

Dolo and Chandler are significantly better than Lichaj, who is still about “potential” not actual “production”.

So he shut down Bale.

In the 2007 Copa America Jonathan Bornstein shut down some guy named Leo Messi so bad they moved him to the other side of the pitch in the second half.

Anyone can have one great game.

The best players can do it consistently. Dolo and Chandler have proven over time they can do it.

We’re still waiting on Lichaj.

164. GW says:

I’m not arguing semantics.

You wrote “the French will prevent our offensive attack up the middle,”.

Nothing like that ever happened. The French prevented nothing. Rommel just avoided them.

That’s not semantics; it’s just accurate history. You are taking liberties with history to make a joke. Fine. Literary license, historical license is perfectly valid. But don’t call it semantics.

165. T Bone says:

Anybody but Lazy Out the door

166. Stooge says:

Fabian and these Euro-imports blow….

167. Jo says:

No, Kyle B. is better than that and the best defensive presence we have in the middle.

168. Bob says:

Mike Magee is Jesus

169. Ray says:

Cap Le Toux….Would instantly be 3rd best scorer on the team.

170. Joamiq says:

Far from it. He won a grand total of three tackles in the last two games combined. He might be something of a destroyer in MLS, but he’s always two steps behind internationally.

171. jorge says:

As im watching the game i am dissapointed with the preformance goodson needs out edu out beckerman out we need donovan and torres and u canr deny adu is better than williams he is easily better way better rhough he dont play much