Marquez suspended two additional games

Marquez (Getty Images)

If the New York Red Bulls manage to go on a run to MLS Cup, Designated Player Rafa Marquez won't be a part of it.

Major League Soccer suspended Marquez two additional games on top of his one-game suspension for a red card and fined him an additional $2,000 for his part in the postgame scuffle between the Red Bulls and Los Angeles Galaxy following the first leg of their Western Conference semifinal on Sunday.

Teemu Tainio and Adam Cristman were fined an undisclosed amount for their roles in the incident. Galaxy midfielder Juninho, who was also given a red card for his postgame actions, was not disciplined any further.

According to a statement released by the league, "Marquez's conduct was violent and aggressive and put the League in disrepute."

The MLS Players Union appealed the decision, according to the league statement, but MLS commissioner Don Garber upheld the decision made by the league's Disciplinary Committee on Thursday.

"After thorough examination of the incident that followed the Oct. 30 game between the New York Red Bulls and the LA Galaxy, the Disciplinary Committee strongly believed Rafa Marquez must be punished above the red card he was issued for throwing the ball after the final whistle because of the following actions: attempting to head butt Adam Cristman, attempting to punch Adam Cristman; striking Cristman, and simulating that he had been struck in the face," MLS executive vice president Nelson Rodriguez said.

Marquez will serve his now-three-game suspension in the next New York games he's eligible to play. Should the Red Bulls overturn their deficit and advance to the conference final and then MLS Cup, Marquez would have to miss all of that. Otherwise, he'll serve part of his suspension next season.

What do you think of this development? Happy with the league's stance?

This entry was posted in MLS- LA Galaxy, MLS- New York Red Bulls. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Marquez suspended two additional games

1. Ozker B says:

Happy with the stance, and not surprised with history of aggression and poor loser mentality!

2. Tony in Quakeland says:

He will never serve them. The Red Bulls will be eliminated, and Rafa will play in Mexico next year.

3. Anthonytx42 says:

MLS needs to be more aggressive with their suspensions and fines for simulation on a season-long basis. I’m glad to see them punish Marquez this way (even if he won’t serve the suspension) and love that Rodriguez said that Marquez was “simulating that he had been struck in the face.”
    If the MLS starts seriously punishing guys who flop and fake, we might actually see that shameless garbage lessen over time. Good riddance to a bad influence and a guy I’d never want on my team, no matter how talented he is.

4. Naboo says:

I think the red card + the fine was enough…his actions were unsportsman-like to say the least, but i get it…heat of the moment and all. The fall was pathetic tho.

Nah…i take all that back, ef the redbulls, vamos united!

5. Chuck Norris says:

Rafa owns all of yous

6. Kevin_Amold says:

Fair.

7. spencer says:

I didn’t watch it, but I’m glad they did something. But it begs the question why they didn’t suspend Alonso for what happened at RSL. It seems the league is bi-polar with some of these punishments. Like Rimando was given a yellow for not giving the ball to the other player and there is no rule that states after the other team scores you must give it to the other teams player. And I love what they said about him simulating, unfortunately once again this is selective punishment, because there are many who simulate being struck in the face yet they never get suspended. Good punishment, but league get your act together and start administering punishment to all players for actions and not certain select people.

8. Paul says:

Probably justified, but consider: he got a three-game suspension for NOT hitting someone.

9. JJ says:

Rimando may have gotten it for the ridiculous dive when Friberg grazed the ball. I’d put money on that.

10. spencer says:

Didn’t see that part, all i know what after all was said he ended up with a yellow and its speculation as to why.

11. julio says:

Rafa is a punk hooligan. I can’t believe Mexicans think we are the dirty side when MEX and US teams play. Just look at Rafa and Guantamoc.

12. Hoser in Lederhosen says:

Good riddance and goodbye. Marquez sucks. What are the chances mgmt can get rid of him next season?

13. solles says:

1) Mr Marquez, I think its time for you to consider spending the last few years of your brilliant playing career in your native Mexico.

2) Mr Garber, I hope there is not anything unusually preferential going on here given that Landon Donovan is in the midst of this.

14. Scott A says:

Good. Now get him off my team.

15. Poo says:

chuck norris makes Rafa marquez cry just by looking near him.

16. Poo says:

Love that they included faking in the list of no no’s.

I would love to have a jourolist show Rafa that part of the list and ask him to explain himself. Then ask him if he thinks he is a man

17. Good Jeremy says:

3 games sounds about right. Good riddance to him when he returns to Mexico.

18. bcoug says:

According to the official game report, the card was for time wasting, which was deserved.

19. Edwin in LA says:

Keel trying to grab, choke or just push Juninho from behind adding to the instigating of the whole thing should merit a 1 game suspension as well

20. Scott A says:

I’m a NY fan and even I admit that a run to the final is not super likely, but if we do get there, Marquez better not start in the final.

21. Wm. says:

Marquez is–and always has been–a punk. As soon as the ball doesn’t bounce his way he acts out. He needs a good beat down next time he pulls this crap.

22. A wise man once says:

Everybody does that.

23. abc says:

“Marquez’s conduct was violent and aggressive and put the League in disrepute.”

I like that the league is willing to use language like this, good for them. I was afraid they would let this latest incident pass without commenting on it.

24. chris says:

why isnt christman suspended? if not for his aggression nothing would have come of the whole thing?

25. abc says:

Well yeah but that’s only because he doesn’t know how to throw a proper punch. He shouldn’t go unpunished just because he’s incompetent.

26. abc says:

Because he didn’t start it, he was defending a teammate, and all he did was push, whereas Marquez started it by throwing the ball at Donovan, attempted to throw two punches, and then flopped when he wasn’t touched. How can you even compare the two? Let me guess, NY fan?

27. Neal says:

I think that the additional two game ban would rule him out of the final.
    Aren’t the conference championships one game?
    LA leg two, then conf. champ and MLS Cup final.

28. Tim F. says:

Whatever… I’m more concerned about fouls with the intent to severely injure a player, such as the ones suffered by David F., Javier, M. and Steve Z. earlier this year; I think one of those fouls was just an unfortunate injury as a result of fair play but with two of the fouls, there seemed to be an intent to injure a player; in my mind, that’s where the disciplinary committee should focus as those fouls really hurt the league.

29. chris says:

No. He was the first who initiated contact. Not that it matters he’s a no skill hack anyway.

30. Neumannator says:

I totally agree with you. I am in no way a fan of Rafa but I don’t see 3 games from that. Focus on intent to injure. Not intent to be a puss.

31. Frank says:

Marquez deserves better than MLS. He should have known better than to come to this Sht league

32. Marquez is a Thug says:

Okay buddy, that’s why he has been at fault for several goals this year and his team has actually fared better without him.

He is an overrated punk thug who deserves everything bad that happens to him. I honestly hope he suffers a career ending injury.

I hope he goes back to Mexico and never comes back.

He is why Mexico soccer, despite its recent success, remains an absolute embarassment to that country.

33. Marquez is a Thug says:

Tebow > Marquez

34. Frank says:

what’s up with all this anti-Mexico hate. Smacks of racism. Not surprised really.

35. memehunter says:

Nyan Cat>Marquez

36. Dan says:

Marquez-haters in here are just biased because he’s mexican….he sucks so much his trophy case is full, you guys cant say he sucks until an American accomplishes everything he has in his career. Not one U.S. player comes close….

37. Jake the Snake says:

HAHA what the hell is Guantamoc?

38. Jake the Snake says:

Pfftt… That’s nothing compared to our 4-time US player of the year. How many has Markez won…? None.

39. Dan says:

I’ll take 4 La Liga Titles and one confederations cup over 4 ‘US player of the year award”, hell that award has no worth in international football, it basically a popularity contest….Donovan has done nothing relevant in Europe, not even Dempsey

40. Brian says:

Probably his attempt at Cuauhtemoc Blanco

41. c(note) says:

haha hilarious

42. John says:

“Marquez’s conduct was violent and aggressive and put the League in disrepute.”

What a joke. Adam Cristman and the Brazilian from the galaxy should be fined for physically attacking players. I’m not surprised.

43. Mason says:

He probably confused “Cuauhtemoc” and “guano”.

44. Mason says:

“Marquez is a punk,” is not racist.

“Marquez is a punk because he’s Mexican and all Mexicans are punks,” is not racist. It’s xenophobic.

45. Mason says:

You can win and still be a red-card collecting punk.

46. yankiboy says:

Wow. Is it really that easy? Seems really lazy to jump to that conclusion. Marquez has been one of the best players that this region has produce. he’s also a terrible sportsman, a sore loser, a cheapshot artist and seems like a arrogant and nasty guy. Ever considered that maybe that’s why he’s so despised? I guess the anti-Mexican bias thing is a lot easier, huh? I am looking forward to the day that an American accomplishes what Marquez has and I hope that he isn’t a jerk like Marquez because I’d really like to be happy for him instead of thinking “wow–that guy–great player but his no-class antics are embarrassing the country…”

47. yankiboy says:

So if Marquez were say, Julian DeGuzman (no strike that–let’s make him White Canadian of European descent) and we substituted “Mexico” for “Canada” does it still “smack of racism”??? Heck. Let’s just make him Wayne Rooney. Still see the racism?

What I don’t find “surprising” is that the “race” card got played. Disappointing, but not surprising…

48. yankiboy says:

Bro: I NEVER want to see anybody get injured, let alone a career-eending injury. I can’t stand the guy. I detest the guy. I remember him trying to injure Time Howard. It was malicious and it was ugly. Even with all of that, I don’t want to see him injured. Not killing you, just sayin’. That’s harsh. Real harsh.

49. yankiboy says:

It doesn’t seem fair to me either.

I think because as much as I can’t stand the guy and never bought the fact that he somehow found class just because he lowered his standards and grabbed a lot of ca$h to play here, that wording just seems excessive to me.

I think that the league is giving him a sort of “lifetime underachievment award for sportsmanship” or something.

He is who he is and he was known to be what he is long before he ever came to play in MLS.

Even when given his DP status and holding him to a higher standard. Suspension and a fine. The “violent and agressive line” also struck me as a bit over the top.

He has been both of those things in his career but the league really didn’t need to go there for this incident.

This indicates to me that the league doesn’t have any love for him, that they are trying to push him to do what he probably wants to do anyway: split.

He’s not happy in NY. He thinks he’s too elite to be there. He would be better leaving the money on the table and rolling out.

The divorce would be good for the player, good for the club and good for the league.

He threw a ball, and flopped liked a b. Ok, he did throw a couple punches and I’m not downplaying the headbut attempt.

But we’ve seen those things before in this league and I don’t recall such strong wording.

50. Mason says:

De Jong, anyone?

It’s not the melanin that makes him a punk; it’s how he plays.

51. yankiboy says: