Klinsmann releases 22-man roster for France, Slovenia friendlies

USMNTJD100811001

photo by Hunter Dorton/ISIphotos.com

Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra and Tim Howard headline the U.S. men's national team roster for the upcoming friendlies in Europe against France and Slovenia.

There's one new face in camp, with Hertha Berlin defender Alfred Morales among the 22 players selected by Klinsmann. Born in Germany, Morales won't be the only German-American in camp, as Danny Williams and Fabian Johnson have been called back into the squad.

Here's the roster:

Goalkeepers (2): Tim Howard, Bill Hamid

Defenders (7): Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Timmy Chandler, Clarence Goodson, Michael Orozco Fiscal, Alfredo Morales

Midfielders (9): Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Clint Dempsey, Brek Shea, Danny Williams, Fabian Johnson, Kyle Beckerman, Jermaine Jones, Robbie Rogers

Forwards (4): Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle

Jermaine Jones and Robbie Rogers are two players who also return to the U.S. team after missing out in the October friendlies.

The upcoming camp will be the first time Donovan and Dempsey are together under Klinsmann. Donovan, who missed last month's matches due to injury, is one of five MLS players in camp.

Donovan and Kyle Beckerman are the two lone MLS-based guys who could be involved in the MLS Cup final, which takes place five days after the friendly against Slovenia. Klinsmann addressed the scheduling conflict for potential MLS Cup participants to ussoccer.com.

"We have a very positive line of communication with MLS," said Klinsmann. "We agreed that whoever will be involved in the final will be released after the game against France, which gives them more than a week to prepare."

A couple of notable omissions from recent camps are forwards Juan Agudelo and Teal Bunbury, though Klinsmann explained the reasoning for their absences.

“Both right now are in a challenging position with the full team because of players ahead of them," said Klinsmann. "Our thought is that if they are not in the starting lineup for us, this is a great opportunity to get an introduction with the Under-23 team and to play two full games. It’s better for them than sitting on the bench, and they experience another development path by playing with the U-23s."

The United States takes on France on Nov. 11 before playing Slovenia in a rematch of the 2010 World Cup group game four days later.

—-

What do you think of the roster? Any one you would have like to seen included/left off? Think this team can get results against France and Slovenia? Surprised Klinsmann called in Donovan and Beckerman with MLS Cup looming?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

285 Responses to Klinsmann releases 22-man roster for France, Slovenia friendlies

1. KKS says:

No Herculez Gomez, no Omar Gonzalez, no Sacha Kljestan (who has been tearing it up at Anderlecht). He calls in Orozco Fiscal and Robbie Rogers. What in the blue hell…

2. joe says:

I really hate it for Gomez. Not only is he in excellent form right now, but he’s a class act as well.

3. DeLarge says:

Color me a tad concerend that Gomez and Kljestan — who are playing the best soccer of any American, are not on the roster.

4. Brad says:

Rogers again? And Orozco Fiscal? I’m by no means a Klinsmann questioner, but think Omar Gonzalez or George John should be here.

5. Travis says:

Fiscal seriously? When will Omar Gonzalez get a shot?

6. Dinho says:

I’m not one to complain…. but Robbie Rogers???? Really??? Come on, Klinsi. How do you call in Rogers and not Klejstan????????? Blows my mind!

The only other snub (IMO) is Gomez. He deserves a look. Maybe he will when the Gals beat the Red Bulls??!?!

7. darryl says:

who is this Morales dude?

8. Neruda says:

Robbie Rogers? Please tell me I need glasses.

9. joe says:

I could have predicted the Rogers call. I believe Klinsmann played with him in California for a spell. I see him as being Klinsmann’s Bornstein.

10. Aquaman says:

I thought the point was to NOT call in players who were still in the playoff hunt. Beckerman and Donovan are odd calls in that case. Not to mention the total recall of Rogers.

11. T.Dot says:

Robbie Rogers and Orozco Fiscal? LOLWut?

12. Murphy says:

Michael Orozco Fisal : Jurgen Klinsmann : : Jonathan Bornstein : Bob Bradley

13. BK says:

Also, someone might want to tell Klinsmann that this is the US team and not Germexico. I have no problem with a melting pot of a team, but feel like he’d call in someone in a German pub league before other Gonzalez, John, or a variety of others.

14. jskinner23 says:

Not gonna lie – I had to go to Wikipedia: “Alfredo Morales (born 12 May 1990) is a German-American-Peruvian soccer player, currently playing for Hertha BSC.”

Sounds like this guy has options about which national team he wants to play for…

15. malkin says:

Gooch and ‘dolo both starting on the bench today

16. drizzl says:

No Gomez, no Gonzales, no George John? Wtf klinsi?

17. RBNY says:

How is beckerman included if rsl are still in the playoffs?

18. Ryan in NY from NC says:

This dude calls Robbie freakin’ Rogers in over Sacha!?!?!

I’m genuinely confused. Can anyone make sense of this nonsensical bullsh*t?

No Benny? No Adu? yet he stays w/ Edu who’s touch has been like he’s wearing metal boots.

19. joe says:

A lot of that may be to sway them or other dual internationals to pick the US.

20. Poo says:

Is Morales they guy who said he was leaning toward Peru? If so, go Klinsi.

agree with all other on Rodgers. WTF. he better just be practice fodder, but still.

21. Angel FAN of USA says:

I’m too scratching my head for Robbie Roger and Fiscal. But Omar Gonzalez should off keep his mouth shout for a while, I can believe John is not on the roster. But other than that I like the USNMT roster. Plus the roster for the U23 is up and I like it and I’m very excited about it plus there will be more included for the U20 also. is a mixed of European and Domestic MLS. Can’t wait!!

22. Brian says:

My guess is he’s leaving out Gonzo because he might be in the MLS Cup final….but LD is in there so I have no idea

23. Nano says:

I don’t think Orozco will get any playing time, but hopefully he will move way down in the CB ranks. I don’t understand how you call in Beckerman, but not Gonzalez. We will probaly see LD or CD right under Jozy. I’m fine without Sacha, he is doing well with Anderlecht but isn’t better than our other central midfielders. Robie Rogers has all the physical tools to succeed but his soccer IQ isn’t there. Can’t say it’s a bad squad. Be ready for Landon to pass on international duty again…

24. Angel FAN of USA says:

Here the list of the U23

U.S. UNDER-23 ROSTER BY POSITION Detailed Roster
    GOALKEEPERS (4) : David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes; Pleasanton, Calif.), Cody Cropper (Ipswich Town; Athens, Ga.), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire, Lilburn, Ga.), Jon Kempin (Sporting KC; Leawood, Kan.)
    DEFENDERS (9) : Gale Agbossoumonde (Eintracht Frankfurt; Syracuse, N.Y.), Anthony Brooks (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Sean Cunningham (Molde; Troy, Mich.), Royal-Dominique Fennell (Stuttgarter Kickers; Göppingen, Germany), Greg Garza (Out of Contract; Grapevine, Texas), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United; Indianapolis, Ind.), Will Packwood (Birmingham City; Concord, Mass.), Zarek Valentin (Chivas USA; Lancaster, Pa.), Ethan White (D.C. United; Kensington, Md.)
    MIDFIELDERS (9) : Joe Corona (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Mixx Diskerud (Stabæk; Oslo, Norway), Dilly Duka (Columbus Crew; Montville, N.J.), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz; Richardson, Texas), Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United; San Francisco, Calif.), Tyrone McCargo (Nürnberg; Nürnberg, Germany), Charles Renken (Hoffenheim; Edwardsville, Ill.), Caleb Stanko (Freiburg: Holly, Mich.), Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)
    FORWARDS (9) : Terrence Boyd (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Conor Doyle (Derby County; McKinney, Texas), Josh Gatt (Molde; Plymouth, Mich.), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim; Silver Springs, Md.), Jerome Kiesewetter (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps; El Paso, Texas), Tony Taylor (Atlético Clube de Portugal; Jacksonville, Fla.), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich; Irvine, Calif.), Andrew Wooten (Kaiserslautern; Worms, Germany)

25. BK says:

Which makes sense, but why no Gonzalez and John then?

26. LOL says:

Dude whats with Beckerman? No way

Where is Gomez? George John and Omar Gonzalez should have been given a call-up

27. ce says:

He is a u-23 defender, d mid. He’s pretty good I know peru wanted him.

28. Poo says:

lots of mystery german based guys in there also

29. Alexandria says:

What’s that old saying?? Ah yes the grass is always greener on the other side. This team is going no where these friendlies should be for new up and comings and euro pros not flying guys who ate in the playoffs across the planet. Its just dumb and shows klinnsmans utter disregard for MLS its a joke. But ussoccer is getting what it deserves.

30. bryan says:

ROGERS AND BECKERMAN?!?!?! No Sasha. That’s is BAD!

Everything else is spot on.

31. Brandon says:

Does Orozco Fiscal have dirt on Klinsmann or something? Why is he back?

32. Ryan in NY from NC says:

Oh yea. and Kyle ‘outta my league’ Beckerman?!

Get outta here w/ that man. Geez, I thought my main man Bob had his favorites. JK takes it to another level.

33. Poo says:

would be nice if the article could be updated with MLS playoff dates, and potential implications.

34. Alex says:

I can understand no John or Gonzalez because John has been in poor form since the whole transfer debacle and Gonzalez is playoff-tied, but then, how do guys like Donovan and Beckerman get called in then?
    And Robbie Rogers?? Really? I cried on the inside. And I feel really bad Gomez. He’s a pure goal scorer and on top of that, a great guy. He’d be a perfect 2nd half sub for Altidore. We’ll see I guess.

35. timbo says:

I understand Omar as he is still in the playoffs… but FC Dallas is out and no George John??? Orzoco again… he already proved he is terrible. Does not make sense to me.

36. darryl says:

is he getting any playing time with his club?

37. bryan says:

lies. Orozco plays for his team and isn’t a bad players. His JB is Rogers.

38. bryan says:

Jones needs to be there too. No Jones and no Sasha is not cool.

39. bryan says:

Because he is solid.

40. Rory says:

I like that Morales got a call. No need to let this kid go to Peru until we know what he can or can’t do.

41. Ryan says:

Ive said even since the world cup that Gomez is the only forward we have that knows how to score goals and he has proved that time and time again…he should be there in place of buddle,

42. Luke says:

So you complain about the USMNT being “Germexico” but then the guys you mention who were snubbed, Gonzalez has said he’d play for Mexico if called up and the other has flirted with playing with Greece.

43. Brad says:

While I think Adu is a huge asset to the team, you can’t blame Klinsmann for not calling him in being that Nowak won’t play him other than the last 20 minutes of the game. It would be interesting to see how much better Philly would be if they played Adu 90 minutes.

44. bryan says:

How did he prove he was terrible? He wasn’t amazing, but his play resulted in 0 goals against. So your logic doesn’t make sense.

The open spot, Ream’s spot, was taken by Morales.

45. Confused says:

It’s clear that Klinsi wants out and out wingers (hence Rodgers). It is also concerning that neither Gonzales or Adu get calls in either camps. Also, Beasely up top?? Who do you think gets called in when the Galaxy/RSL boys have to miss for MSL duy?

46. primoone says:

So robbie fu*cking Rogers is suppose to magically improve against much better opponants in france and slovenia?

47. Joey says:

At least we’ll get to see Donovan, Dempsey and Shea playing together for the first time…

48. bryan says:

- Buddle out, Gomez in
    – Beckerman out, Jones in
    – Rogers out, Sasha in

I like the rest.

49. sef-one says:

yeah. jurgy really has a hard on for the kid.

50. Tractor says:

Speaking of FCD, why has Zach Loyd apparently falled completely off of the USMNT radar? Didn’t he do reasponably well in his very brief stints with the team?

51. betamale says:

Generally I’m happy. There’s always guys who we complain about not being called up or why we’re calling up certain guys. Nothing different there from any other group call up in the history of the sport.

Gonzo will get his shot. Rogers will undoubtedly play himself off the team. These things will work themselves out

52. PetedeLA says:

I see Rogers as Klinsmann’s pet project. I think Klinsmann believes that his faith will eventually be repaid (or Rogers has dirt on him). The kid has great technical ability, but his decision making is atrocious, and to this point he has failed to muster up any of that ability when needed (save that one tap-in goal).

In any case, if I’m Michael Parkhurst I’m definitely scratching the head.

We haven’t heard anything from him in ages, but if Klinsmann favors defenders who are good on the ball and can actually DEFEND, then Parkhurst deserves at least a look.

And shoot, Gomez certainly deserves a chance up front.

53. camjam says:

It both pains and shocks me that anybody can compare Rogers and Orozcos’ performances to Beckerman’s.

Beckerman is like apples and oranges compared to some of the players in the same position; i.e. his style is different, and some may like that and others don’t. But Rogers and Orozco aren’t even fruit at this point.

54. Luke says:

???? Jones is on the roster.

As for Sacha’s exclusion, it wasn’t too long ago that people were up in arms about Sacha even being on the USMNT. Now he’s a must call up.

55. vik says:

some, not a lot. Heard he played well in a game vs. bayern munich; but that is literally all i’ve heard of him.

56. bryan says:

wow. COMPLETELY read right over Jones. My bad!!!!

57. bryan says:

wow. COMPLETELY read right over Jones. My bad!!!!

58. AC says:

Well, this roster was mostly expected, but I’m kind of hoping someone will pull out just so Gomez can be called in, if he’s lucky. What does the guy have to do to get a chance?!

59. roberto says:

Jones…as in Jermaine? He’s called up…

60. chris says:

you should try to not get a bulge over your latin bretheren

61. joe says:

Maybe there isn’t as much interest in those two from Mexico/Greece as the others? Or maybe those two have not expressed as much interest in playing for another team as the others. Hell, it could even boil down to what they see as future potential. I don’t know.

62. roberto says:

whoops! sorry bud, a minute late there…

63. NE Matt says:

I’m really concerned about some decisions. I would love to see Gomez and Kljestan over Donovan and Beckerman (who are still in the playoffs).

Also, consider that we haven’t been scoring goals, yet we call in SIX, yes, SIX Defensive midfielders: Maurice Edu, Kyle Beckerman, Danny Williams, Michael Bradley, Alfredo Morales, and Jermaine Jones.

Umm combine that with the exclusion of two of the most in form Americans (Herc and Sascha) and the inclusion of the clearly overwhelmed on the international stage Orozco Fiscal and Rogers and you get a pretty puzzling and underwhelming announcement.

Not as excited for these 2 games anymore

64. bryan says:

And to your second point, I know. I was one of those people. But Sasha has clearly proved he deserves to be there. Beckerman looked pretty good at first, but the last two games were not very good.

65. joe says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Adu has been battling a nagging injury for a while, correct?

66. bryan says:

did you read the linked article?

On the situation with MLS players who could be involved in the MLS Cup final:

“We have a very positive line of communication with MLS. We agreed that whoever will be involved in the final will be released after the game against France, which gives them more than a week to prepare.”

67. Brad says:

My point is that he seems to be mining Mexico and Germany more than digging in his own backyard. Not that I think the MLS is the highest quality in the world, but think some of those guys should at least get a look before we’re calling in players that 95% of us had to google or wiki. And my point was really about where they’re playing, not their nationality.

Not seeing anyone from the English Championship or the Scandinavian leagues getting calls… Mixx (although he’s in for 23), Sacha, Rolfe, etc.

Just seems he’s focusing on two areas. If he’s going to dig deep to find talent, why not do it everywhere? Not just places hes familiar with.

68. bryan says:

haha i can’t believe i didn’t see his name.

69. bryan says:

Rogers and Orozco shouldn’t even be compared. Orozco was fine enough. Castillo and Rogers, that’s another story. But luckily Castillo is nowhere to be found right now. I still don’t get Rogers.

As for Beckerman, it should be Sasha instead.

70. Tractor says:

“Nothing different there from any other group call up in the history of the sport.”

That’s an interesting point, and I don’t doubt it’s true. Does anyone else have first-hand experience with this in coverage of other national teams? Does the blogosphere erupt in England when Peter Crouch is selected over Jack Wilshire, for example?

71. Goalscorer24 says:

Everybody has already said it all. Wow I don’t like that Klinsi is sticking with players that have shown they don’t have it (Orozco and Rogers), and is not giving some other players a chance that desreve a look.

72. JJ says:

Orozco has been riding pine for San Luis for some time now.

73. bryan says:

I mean, I guess that would make sense if I wasn’t white with German ancestry. But even that’s generations removed. But ok…

74. hogatroge says:

Orozco’s been riding the pine for San Luis lately.

75. I JiK I RED BULLZ says:

I will not be surprise to see Donovan and Beckerman not participate in the upcoming friendlies those are waste of picks. Everyday I’m starting to dislike JK coaching method. Orozco does not belong in this group and John should be over him. Rogers does not deserve to be in this group either Kljestan been playing way better ball in Europe. I’m starting to feel that we will lose John to Greece and Gonzalez to Mexico and I honestly won’t blame them for leaving at the end of this the only person to blame is JK.

76. bryan says:

He rode the pine for one to two weeks. Before that, he started and went 90 every week. Last weekend? Started at went 90. That makes me think he had an injury. Nothing serious, but it seems more like a rest than a benching.

77. Mason says:

Punctuation fever: Catch it!

78. MicahK says:

Joes is on the roster what are you going on about Beckerman out Jones in ?

79. bryan says:

the other games are on the 6th. So that still gives Beckerman and LD 5 days to get to France.

80. bryan says:

read above.

81. hogatroge says:

Add:

-Orozco-Fiscal out, Parkhurst in

and you’re spot on.

82. Paul says:

Not a good sign for Tim Ream if Orozco Fiscal gets picked over him.

83. Brad says:

Knew he was hurt shortly after getting to Philly. Didn’t know he was still dealing with that. Thought it was the ghost of DC Peter Nowak that wasn’t playing him. My B.

84. bryan says:

John hasn’t been contacted by Greece for anything more than a training session. Mexico has contacted OG less than the US. LD and Beckerman will play on the 6th (assuming LA wins tonight) which means they will head to France with 4 days before the game. JK stated any players in the MLS final will be released after the France game.

85. away goals says:

Seriously. This place talks about omar like he’s maldini. And every time he doesn’t get called up, he gets even better.

Omar, john, orozco and ream are fringe centerback choices. Right now JK rates orozco ahead of the rest of them. Not an unreasonable position given the lack of goals conceded while orozco has played.

Now if JK holds a january camp for mls guys and _still_ omits johnzalez, then we can start to question him. For now, relax.

86. I JIK I RED BULLZ says:

And what’s the deal with no HERCULEZ GOMEZ!!! If you’re going to call Buddle that’s fine but Gomez should be call up first before Buddle.

87. joe says:

Not sure. I just remember Adu posting on Twitter (can’t remember when) that he was finally 100%. If history is repeating itself, he’s been at Philly about the time that it takes for his attitude/ego to take over, so maybe that’s what’s going on.

88. Dillon says:

No he isn’t. He stinks and he is older than both Gonzalez and John. At least when BB picked Bornstein the US was very weak at the position. Orozco has at least two guys behind them who are better options.

89. Dillon says:

Orozco Out, Anyone but Orozco In.

90. PD says:

JK is gonna piss some people off… he must be a head coach!

this is what I see as his starting 11 in Paris.

—————-Howard————–
    Cherundolo-Onyewu-Bocanegra-Chandler-
    ——–Jones———Beckerman——
    F. Johnson—–Dempsey——–Donovan
    ————–Altidore—————-

I still think we should be developing a 3-4-3 system, all these midfielders!

91. bryan says:

He played on Oct 1. He sat out on Oct. 8, 15, and 22. He played 90 on Oct. 26 and 30. So, lately, you could argue he has been playing.

92. I JIK I RED BULLZ says:

Switch Cherundolo and Chandler postions Chandler is 1000x better as a RB. Put in Bradley over Beckerman. Switch Johnson and Donovan positions.

I can’t wait for players like Lichaj and Holden are back with the national team!

We should start a petition to bring in John and Gonzalez to the USMNT

93. mw says:

Lol. Johnzalez. I like it.

94. bryan says:

Exactly! They are all solid depth CBs. But one is not absolutely better than the other. For this call up, Ream loses out and Morales gets in. People need to chill.

95. TomG says:

Klinsi is sticking to his guns, keeping the continuity he likes. I don’t agree with some moves or with his overall philosophy but that’s his mindset and he has a rationale behind his decisions. I’d like to see the best in form players in camp every time, but that’s not his outlook. He wants speed on the wings over all other qualities. That places Rogers ahead of Sacha. He wants skilled distribution from his center backs if at all possible, so that puts John and Omar on rough footing. He also has always had a thing for Beckerman and all coaches tend certain players and value them more than others do. Again, I’m not in line with his outlook. I’d like to see more in form guys in camp, but it’s his show right now and he needs time to see how things play out.

96. bryan says:

No, he doesn’t. If he did, he would sit like JB sits. He is 25. OG is 23 and John is 24. It’s not a huge difference. Much like their skills. There isn’t a huge difference. I’m not saying he should be starting, but he deserves to be there. I’m also not saying OG and John don’t deserve to be there. But there are so many spots. This time, Ream sits, Morales gets the call instead of OG and John.

97. TomG says:

3 defenders? We’d get murdered. Only Barca can get away with that formation, and that’s only because they can pass circles around everyone else. We don’t have that luxury.

98. joe says:

For the most part, he doesn’t need to dig in his own back yard because most of those players don’t have a choice who they play for internationally (exceptions off the top of my head: Gonzo, John, Bunbury).

99. Nwhit says:

At least j’s kb isn’t jb

100. bryan says:

I disagree. Parkhurst is 27 and brings nothing more than Orozco. I’d rather OG or John come in for Orozco than Parkhurst. Either way, I don’t mind Orozco. He’s not a bad player.

101. TomG says:

Ream is still in the playoffs. And he’s suffered through a long, poor run of form. He has the skillset Klinsi likes, so if he gets back into form, he’ll probably get plenty more looks.

102. bryan says:

But I like Parkhurst. So I wouldn’t really care. haha

103. TomG says:

It sucks, but Klinsi values continuity, so Buddle gets the nod.

104. rambo says:

Im just looking forward to the starting line up. WIll be good to see altidore, Shea, Clint, and Donovan play together. No clue who starts behind them but hope to see a Chandler – boca-gooch- cherundolo back line. Also excited to see how Johnson does as well

105. bryan says:

I think he is referring to other USMNT groups called up. In that, there is ALWAYS someone that people think should have been called up. But I wonder the same thing as you about other national teams.

106. TomG says:

I’d tend to agree. Orozco has not been great, but not awful either. I wonder if he’s strong enough for international play, though. He gets knocked off awfully easily at times.

107. bryan says:

He’s in better form right now. That’s why. Ream will make his way back.

108. Colin Reese says:

No Adu. No Feilhaber. No John. No Cameron. No Gonzalez. No Bunbury. No Agudelo. Get ready to lose big time. This is the time when you want Dempsey to have a good showing against France but for the US to look bad so that Klinsmann has to call in our best players.

109. C-Med says:

Hey Ives….

please drop a blog about the DeMerit movie. I love the USMNT more than any other team in sports….they are like the Mighty Ducks, Karate Kid and Rocky Balboa all rolled into one! I would love to see that the movie gets a good turnout, and that begins with US soccer fans checking it out.

110. TomG says:

Yes, can’t wait to see Shea against some top European midfielders and defenders. A good game could help a Euro transfer bid.

111. hogatroge says:

Wow, JJ. We must have been on the same wavelength.

112. Geronimo says:

Morales said as recently as this past weekend that he was leaning towards Peru and that he was anxiously awaiting a visit from their head coach Sergio Markarian..

113. brad says:

Fire Klinsmann

114. Mike(s) says:

At this point I’d rather see Robbie Findley than Robbie Rodgers. There I said it.

115. TomG says:

Recent form has been meh. Klinsi wants continuity.

116. TomG says:

To be fair, let’s face it: every manager has his favorites.

117. hogatroge says:

None of those players, save Adu if he plays like he did in the GC semis and final, would make a significant impact against France.

Feilhaber is buried beneath the many other CMs on the depth chart. If anything, Kljestan is the big CM omission.

Agudelo, Bunbury, and Adu are all still involved in MLS right now.

Gonzalez and Cameron shouldn’t be expected to get caps before January anyway.

118. He played 29 minutes and got into the game was Bayern was already up 3-0. The game ended 4-0.

119. PD says:

If France takes the match seriously we’ll see this:

—————-Lloris————–
    Reveillere–Debuchy–Koscielny–Abidal
    —————Diarra————–
    Ribery——–Malouda———-Nasri
    ——-Benzema——Remy———

120. TomG says:

Parkhurst is just too small to play international CB. At least that’s the reasoning.

121. hogatroge says:

What position does Morales play? He’s listed as a defender, but I’ve heard he’s a defensive mid.

One thing people have failed to harp on yet is the lack of fullbacks. Aside from Chandler and Cherundolo, JK didn’t call in another fullback (though I’m sure some of the Germericans can probably slot in).

122. PD says:

given the fact that we have players like Edu Jones Tortres and Bradley I think that the back 3 would actualy be closer to a back 5….

123. He has played 64 minutes this year. And he deserves to be called in ahead of Gonazalez? Ridiculous.

124. Sean says:

Parkhurst is a better defender, and has skill with the ball that orozco doesn’t.

125. PD says:

funny, you didn’t name a single starter. why on earth do you think that these super subs will garuntee a loss?

126. JD in FL says:

On an international level, aerial ability is a significant consideration. OG is composed in the air and significantly better than Orozco IMO. Both Boca and Gooch handle the high stuff well, Orozco, no so much… I’ve watched every one of the recent USMNT matches since this summer, including a few in person, and I’ve also been watching quite a bit of MLS – I’m still stumped by OG’s omission.

127. PD says:

Robbie Rogers as the new #10.

yeah I can’t….

128. marco says:

Two picks that should cause concern, Rogers, and Orozco. Since neither will break into the starting WC 11, and both have had numerous chances, why isn’t Klinsmann letting others compete? Cohesion and core doesn’t walk at 20, 21, and 22 spots. Why is Beckerman being pulled from RSL, do they need 6 DM’s? Although a Klinsmann fan, it appears he has also chosen some favorites that take up spots unchallenged regardless of past performances.

129. Poo says:

That was not there when I posted by comment….so you are all welcome!

130. fifawitz1313 says:

My lineup

———Howard————–

–Dolo-Gooch-Boca-Chandler–

–Bradley/Jones–Williams/Johnson

-Donovan——————Shea

————-Dempsey————

————Altidore————

131. Steve McSteve says:

Excited to see Alfredo Morales’s name. I thought we were going to lose him to Peru.

Overall pleased with the roster, though like many I would’ve preferred to see:
    Kljestan over Rogers
    Gomez over Buddle
    Gonzalez, John or Parkhurst over Fiscal

Still, in the grand scheme of things that’s 3 fringe players, and I’m happy with the roster.

I’m happy that:
    – He called up Donovan and will keep him for France even if LA makes the final. We need to see Dempsey and Donovan together under Klinsmann.
    – We seem to have won Morales. Seems like a promising prospect. Young, already seeing time in the Bundesliga, plays multiple positions and is Olympic eligible.
    – Goodson and Jones are back.
    – We’ll get to see Fabian for the first time
    – Agudelo and Ream are left off. I’m a Red Bulls fan, but I don’t think they deserve automatic call ups.

132. If you think Orozco can play then I know you haven’t watched him very often. He was a miserable disaster last year in Philadelphia. Truly awful. And the Morales call is outright criminal. He’s only played 70 more minutes this season than I have.

133. hogatroge says:

1. Parkhurst is plenty young to factor in the next WC
    2. He’s having a career season in Denmark
    3. He can play CB or RB. The current roster has no dedicated RBs other than Cherundolo (though Klinsmann has indicated Morales can play there)
    4. Parkhurst hasn’t had 3 mediocre (notice I didn’t say awful) showings under Klinsmann.

134. marco says:

I agree with many of your points. The Klinsi argument for picking the same failures, cohesion, building a core, just doesn’t impress when picking 18 through 22.

135. betamale says:

Oh man believe it. Just read the English tabloids around selection time. 100x worse than the few squeaky wheels in America

136. Peru can have him. He doesn’t belong in camp for the USMNT right now.

137. ACS says:

Williams and Johnson will probably be starting with Johnson playing where Williams played in the last friendlies and Williams moving to the back middle with Jones or Beckerman. Morales plays RB or LB and also defensive mid sometimes, he is kind of a super sub for Hertha

138. hogatroge says:

Good point. From the selections we have, a Starting XI can be fielded that nobody can argue with. That said, I won’t be the least bit surprised if Rogers somehow ends up starting.

It would be interesting to hear some of the other Nats comment on the roster selection without having to be politically correct and nice.

139. Why are you a Klinsmann fan? What has he done?

140. Why are you excited about a guy that has played 70 minutes in the last three months?

141. Super Sub? Are you serious? He RARELY gets into games.

142. marco says:

I don’t think Klinnsman will replace them after France game.

143. hogatroge says:

Nevermind… in the US Soccer article, Klinsmann says he can play RB, LB or CDM.

144. marco says:

Orozco would not beat out John at Dallas, or Omar at Galaxy, or Cameron at Houston.

145. hogatroge says:

Between Donovan and Beckerman, only one will still be involved with MLS come time for these friendlies.

146. Just askin says:

We need a small, quick attacking forward… Our Klose. Who is that? Why not Rogers? JK believes he can mold him. Don’t we need that combined with a hulk like Altidore?

147. joey says:

Bingo… Parkhurst is very, very good AND has now been playing outside back for years now with his club. Why he keeps getting snubbed is beyond me. He is certainly better than a few that Klinsmann KEEPS calling

148. bryan says:

But Orozco is faster and is a better passer. That’s the trade off. Look, people need ot stop acting like I’m saying Orozco is better. They are both good and both deserve a call up. Both also won’t start and shouldn’t start. But to be pissed by either’s inclusion is wrong.

I watch every US game and I have MLS Direct Kick. So I watch most MLS games too.

149. Edwin in LA says:

Since August 27th he’s missed 4 games, two of them were consecutive, sound like maybe he just was getting in form or better from an injury and in those two consecutive weeks he was on the 18 game-day roster.

I think Fiscal has just had a tough outing with the nats and Klinsmann wants to see how he does with most of the main group as we haven’t really had them all in Chandler, Gooch, Dempsey, Donovan etc etc

150. bryan says:

I have and I still think he is as good as any of the other depth CBs. I like Omar more, I just don’t get the hate for Orozco. He’s not bad.

As for Morales, yeah, that seemed a little strange. I feel like OG or John probably deserved it more.

151. marco says:

He must be doing Rogers’older sister.

152. joey says:

Nowak has a history of sitting Freddy

153. bryan says:

hahahahaha oh ok

154. Edwin in LA says:

Sorry it was 3 in a row, but looks like he started all of September missed 3 games in October and then started 2 last week in a double fixture week

155. marco says:

I’m waiting for Rogers to have a good game in MLS with the Crew.

156. hogatroge says:

Morales definitely has potential, especially if Peru is interested. Bringing him in now will start to foster camaraderie with the other USMNT players and potentially sway him to the U.S.

Also, based on the roster format, it looks like Klinsmann wants him as a defender. It can’t hurt to have a backup at RB/LB that isn’t Jonathon Spector, Edgar Castillo or Jonathan Bornstein.

157. joey says:

Im starting to become disappointed with Klinsmann.. I had hoped for a fresh start and instead, we seem to be headed down the same ole path of not being good enough with the players we have and staying with same not good enough players

I fear we might not even qualify under Jurgen

158. bryan says:

Fair points. And I’m always for depth options. That’s why I think he should be in the January camp for sure. But I see what you are saying. Chandler could be in the RB talk again since Johnson was called in. But either way, depth at RB or LB is always needed.

159. doug says:

I think Jurgen must have found one of Bob Bradley’s old team selection sheets and handed that in.

N Gonzalez, no Diskerud. What’s wrong with trying new faces.

160. Mat says:

Aside from Rogers I haven’t too many complaints aside from the lack of true forwards. Beasley and Landon are more midfielders than strikers truth be told, so we only have 2 real strikers in Jozy and Buddle, which is a bit light.
    Would have liked to see Sasha for Rogers. I feel if we have Beasley we don’t need Rogers, they serve the same purpose.
    Orozco is still better than Ream but maybe his spot could have gone to new face.
    But I can’t argue with Klinsy’s choice for the core.
    Given the squad, we’re going to go in there with a 4-5-1 or rather a 4-2-3-1, something like:

Howard
    Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Chandler
    Jones, Edu
    Donnovan, Dempsey, Shea
    Altidore

161. bryan says:

Who would you have liked to see that would make this team so much better? Our entire A team is included in this squad. Whose inclusion is going to lead us to not qualify?

162. Edwin in LA says:

Ummm pretty sure Jonathan Spector is in the English Championship, and who else would you have him call up? Connor Doyle? Guy is barely getting any calls and I’m sorry but Buddle who came from our “own backyard” as the 2010 MLS Gold Boot Runner up is WAY more deserving than Doyle. Findley is the only other guy I can think of playing for a Championship club, I pray to god he never sees the US national team again. If he gets better and starts to tear it up in the Championship, good for him, which he’s not, until good riddance.

Fiscal is pretty well known if you watch Mexican league soccer or even Copa Libertadores about 2 years ago or even MLS as he was the starter on a very unexperienced and young Philadelphia Union team, and before you claim how bad he must of been cause of the horrible defense they had, a lot of their goals were due to bad goalkeeping.

163. marco says:

I’m one Castillo pick away from taking a siesta from Klinsmann.

164. bryan says:

Mixx is going to be in the U-23 camp. Christ.

165. Just askin says:

Strange thing… Klose it’s said plays his best at national level.

166. bryan says:

Beckerman and Rogers are the question marks. No Gomez or Sasha are the truly surprising omissions. Not all that bad in the end.

167. Khan says:

This website makes me want to scream sometimes.

Orozo Fiscal hasn’t been amazing, but he hasn’t been bad. He hasn’t given up a single goal in all the time he’s played and he has distributed decently.

Mix? Players like that have already been called into the U-23 camp in Germany. Pay attention.

Jonzalez will not get a call for quite awhile. Has anyone actually watched George John play recently? He’s been horrible since the transfer incident. Gonzalez? He cannot pass. Simply put, he will not see the USMNT until he can pass the ball. It doesn’t matter how great you are in the air or how physical you are if you cannot pass the ball.

Stoked to see Morales getting the call up. Hope he accepts.

Except the Germans to start.

168. Jeff says:

Really confused why Kljestan isn’t getting a call. He was in one camp with klinsmann and didn’t get any game action but the coach has seen enough to determine Rogers and beckerman are better choices?
    I just feel like some of the Rogers beckerman and orozco call ups are pointless when they are fringe players at best and you pretty much know what to expect. Why not call in some other guys

169. WorldCitizen says:

OK, you need glasses. Problem is, once you put them on, you will still find Rogers’ name on the list…and it will continue to be just as maddeningly inexplicable as the first time you saw it!

170. Mat says:

Now, since the French have issues beating Germans, perhaps we could scare them with:
    Howard
    Chandler, Gooch, Boca, Morales
    Jones, Johnson
    Williams, Dempsey, Donnovan
    Jozy

I think this might actually be a pretty solid squad.

171. Edwin in LA says:

I’d like to see Jozy get time up front WITH a partner and who better than someone he NEVER gets to play with except the game vs Australia in which both thrived in.

Only 2 picks I’m a bit frustrated with are for sure Rogers, I hope he somehow plays himself out of the roster or that he doesn’t see any playing time and isn’t even on the 18 man game-day roster.

Fiscal is a bit iffy, I would of preffered to see George John not sure what is happening there, but I think Klinsmann needs to be asked if there’s a reason why he holds Ream due to past selections, and Orozco higher than John? Omar well same could be said….

Not sure how I feel about Beckerman, mainly because we have so many options at his position, but he’s had a great MLS campaign and almost had double digit assists.

I think Fabian Johnson might be here to be tried out as a DEFENDER at Left back guys. I know I read some people saying “why bring in SIX defensive mids in Edu, Bradley, Jones, Williams, Beckerman and Morales” well I think he might have a shot at RB since for now Chandler is our LB then Dolo needs some sort of back up and until Lichaj is healthy and inform and takes back the left back spot or Fabian Johnson can do that, Chandler is our starting LB and Dolo shouldn’t be expected to last until 2014 at RB, Morales could be great addition.

172. ACS says:

super sub as in the positions he plays, not the times he gets subbed in.

173. abc says:

Hint: Klinsmann doesn’t know what he’s doing and doesn’t know how to evaluate talent. He doesn’t even know how to stay in touch with our player pool based on all the comments from guys who should be getting called up yet have never even spoken to him!

174. BK says:

Guys…relax. We aren’t trying to win the WC right now. We aren’t even in qualifying. These games are intended to explore our available talent pool. Klinsmann is doing what he should and looking for our version of Podolski or Lahm or name anyone one of the unknown Germans that the press criticized just for before they made it to the semi-finals of the World Cup. Remember?

I think I’ve seen enough of Orozco and Altidore to think that they shouldn’t be in the picture, but I’m going to give Klinsmann the benefit of the doubt since…shock*…he has much more experience than any of you clowns and has barely started his tenure.

175. abc says:

Maybe once he’s at 1 win in 7 games, he will finally make some changes?? Or get fired?
    Either one works for me.

176. Edwin in LA says:

I read some people saying “why bring in SIX d-mids in Edu, Williams, Bradley, Jones, Beckerman & Morales” well I think Morales might have a shot at RB since for now Chandler is our LB then Dolo needs some sort of back up & until Lichaj is healthy & takes back the LB spot or Fabian Johnson can do that, Chandler is our starting LB & Dolo shouldn’t be expected to last until 2014 at RB, Morales could be a great addition.

177. abc says:

Why are you NOT a Klinsmann questioner?

What has he done, whether it’s roster selection or actual results, to NOT be questioned??

178. Luke says:

“He’s only played 70 more minutes this season than I have.” Really! So what’s holding you back? Fly to Germany. Tryout and sign with a Bundesliga team. Play one game and wait by your phone for Klinsmann to call you up.

I think there’s more to Morales than just his 70 minutes of action in the Bundesliga that the general public does not know. Not much info out there about him, except he is the son of Peruvians, with German and American citizenship and Peru has shown interest in calling him up. He plays for Hertha Berlin as either a D-mid or RB. I think SBI definately needs to do an article about him.

179. Vince says:

Yes, Orozco Fiscal was so good in Philly that the Union went out and got Carlos Valdes to replace him.

If the MLS team you played for sought out a upgrade at your position, well, let’s just say that doesn’t look good on the ol’ CV.

180. bryan says:

Exactly.

181. abc says:

“These games are intended to explore our available talent pool.”

Rogers and Orozco Fiscal are called in almost every time. Guys like Gomez, Gonzalez, John, Cameron, Kljestan, Feilhaber, Diskerud, Rolfe, Parkhurst, etc. are NEVER called in. How is that exploring our available talent pool??

How many times does Klinsmann need to “explore” Rogers, Fiscal, Castillo, Beckerman, and Larentowicz before he realizes that THERE IS NO TALENT IN THAT POOL?

182. abc says:

Yeah it’s called “not being very good”

183. abc says:

So does every other coach he’s had over the last three years? Does that say something about Nowak and the other half dozen coaches, or about Adu?

184. assocfoot says:

You forgot a few words Nowak…”and every other coach Freddy has had for many years”…

185. WorldCitizen says:

The main problem with not calling in Gonzalez at this stage boils down to a point I don’t seem to notice anyone else bothering to make: The vast majority of our best center backs are getting dangerously close to Medicare age, so to speak. Sure, Omar still has a few holes in his game that need some patching, but then, Tim Ream has had a year that can be most charitably described as piss-poor – and that certainly hasn’t stopped Klinsmann from giving him some looks! And all of Klinsi’s talk about wanting to bring a greater Latin flavor to the team only makes his persistent snubbing of Gonzalez seem all the more bizarre. All’s I can say in response to Gonzalez’s latest unfortunate omission is that he’d damned well better be on the January camp roster, or I’ll have no choice but to start questioning Klinsmann’s judgement, if not his sanity!

186. abc says:

I’d rather not see either one, but yes he is currently doing more at a higher level, and he has more upside if he ever learns how to play soccer, develops a first touch, tactical awareness, etc.

187. abc says:

He’s European and therefore superior to Bob Bradley (rolls eyes)

188. when keeping it real goes good says:

You dudes need to chill about OG and John. Look right now they are trying to make sure that the main pieces of the puzzle get familiar with the new faces that have been doing good the last few games. I much rather see them call Donovan an Beckerman in because they are there to stay and need playing time together. OG will get his chance but makes no sense bringing in LA best defender and risk fatigue and injury on what could be a shot at the final. Better bring him in january and spend a good few weeks with the team and working in cohesion rather than tune up games. Plus RR is just ther to fill a seat kljestan sucks still he is doing good in NORWAY people not the EPL or even Holland.

189. abc says:

Rogers plays his best at that socal amateur team that Klinsmann was on. That explains everything, because he certainly doesn’t play well at either the MLS level or national level….

190. abc says:

Beckerman will probably start again, Orozco Fiscal and Rogers will probably see minutes as they usually do when called in. That’s our “A team”??

191. corner apex says:

Underwhelming. I’d prefer a little more experimentation with roster choices.

192. bryan says:

Beckerman probably will not start. Orozco only played when it clearly wasn’t our A team. And Rogers will not start. So, yes, I think our A team is going to be the starting XI.

193. Davethedopefiend says:

Not Robbie Rogers again. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

194. DeLarge says:

This makes too much sense. Fail.

195. bryan says:

Belgium. MUCH different than Norway. And he plays for Anderlecht who is in Europa League. So, in regards to Sasha, you are wrong, he does not suck and should be here.

196. Usaalltheway says:

With the army bases in Germany providing so many players for the USA I think we need to set up some bases in brazil and Argentina to hopefully get some more skilled players than we have now

197. Dinho says:

J. Jones not in the 18 today for Schalke…..Dolo and Gooch stayed on the pine for all 90 minutes in their matches….bummer.

On a brighter note, Dempsey, Spector and Altidore all starting.

Nice to be able to track our guys in Europe AND in their domestic leagues. We’ve come a long way.

198. Edwin in LA says:

Might want to read up on your Union history, they wanted to keep him, but his salary was ver very high especially for a CB, it was up there with the DeRos, Casey’s and Ching in fact I think it was basically DP level. They might of had allocation money to pay for some of it the 1st year as an expansion team and thru trades but he was getting paid a lot of money in San Luis, remember Mexico pays a lot more.

Guy was great in Libertadores play which is more than I can say for say John after the 1st 2 games in CCL or even Cameron when he played CCL.

He has struggled but people act like Orozco is this rookie who has no talent, guy was part of our U-20s and Olympic team and has played in qualifying games before the Hexagonal.

I kind of hope he doesn’t get the call for game day and if he does that he does great, but Rogers is way more questionable call up, Beckerman is up there too merely because the insane depth at center mid?

199. Dinho says:

THANK YOU!!!!!

The voice of reason!!!

I am a Galaxy supporter and Omar is just not international quality…with his feet. Great in the air, decent positioning, but SCARY when he is in tight spaces or tries to bring the ball down.

I have no idea about Morales, but I’m always interested to see a new face in the fold.

200. Ryan says:

haha +1

201. Joamiq says:

Orozco and Rogers. Unbelievable.

202. Edwin in LA says:

Fabian Johnson can play LB, in fact that’s where he started for Germany’s U-23 or U-21 team when they won the European U-23 or U-21 Championship, I forget which age group is it, I believe it was U-21 tho…

203. Jason says:

SBI don’t need to do an article about him just head over to Bigsoccer. com and you’ll find a thread about him.

204. biff says:

Yup. That’s right.

205. pd says:

Well… How does she look?

206. biff says:

Johnson at left back? Don’t think so. He is an excellent attacking midfielder, usually plays center position for Hoffenheim. Don’t see Klinsmann putting him in back trying to defend against Ribery, Benzema etc. Rather something like this:

——–Jozy—–

——-Dempsey—-

Shea—Johnson—Donovan

—–Beckerman——

Chandler-Boca-Gooch-Dolo

207. MTs says:

and you idiot do? lol!

208. Adam M. says:

My read is that Klinsman will be trying to win these games with his full A-team, including Donovan and Dempsey together for the first time, rather than testing people, and that the obvious lesser players he called will not be seeing any time during meaningful play. It doesn’t make sense to bring over new (or new to Klinsman’s side) North American-based players to Euopre with little time foe evaluation or hope to play. Better to bring in the lesser players familiar with Klinsman’s system for practice purposes and leave the evaulations of different talent to the January camp. At least that’s how I’d rationalize it.

209. USMNT Gooner says:

We brought Klinsmann in to change how we develop players. Give him at least a year before you though him under the bus.

210. Jason says:

Reason doesn’t work in this forum. There always has to be a bad guy and right now it’s Klinsi, Orozco and Roger. When they either prove themselves or gets drop then its onto the next set of not good enough player, it’ll never stop.

211. abc says:

So we can’t QUESTION him for a year? Or he has a year to change things before we fire him for gross incompetence?

212. Edwin in LA says:

I just hope to not see Rogers and Beckerman, wishing for Omar, John and maybe Cameron. Lloyd would be nice too, but I’m guessing they’ll all be part of the January camp.

What do you guys think of this roster for January?

GK: Bill Hamid, Sean Johnson, Nick Rimando (3)

DF: Omar Gonzales, George John, Geoff Cameron, Tim Ream, Sean Franklin, AJ De La Garza, Zach Lloyd, Todd Dunivant, Gabriel Farfan (9)

MF: Brek Shea, Graham Zusi, Kyle Beckerman, Freddy Adu, Luis Gil, Benny Feilhaber, Landon Donovan (if he doesn’t seek a European loan or transfer), Mix Diskerud, Joe Corona of Tijuana, (9)

FW: Teal Bunbury, Juan Agudelo, Charlie Davies, I KNOW I KNOW it’s a stretch but not much to go on here, Chris Rolfe (4)

That’s 25 players, not exactly a huge roster, could see about 4 or 5 more players come in, maybe guys from the U-20 pool like Gale, Gyau, Doyle etc etc

I don’t know who else might warrant a call? Maybe Sheanon Williams even if it was instead of AJ or Sean from LA? Some will say Brad Davis but I say we have enough veterans, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt for camp purposes only. I just think Shea is our best option going forward at Left mid?

213. abc says:

Pre-emptive “I told you so” for when Beckerman starts over Bradley and Jones.

214. PetedeLA says:

Cannavaro is five foot nine!

It totally makes sense that Klinsmann is looking to find a center back pairing of big and physical paired with clever and nimble. So we end up with…

All our defenders fall into two categories:
    Category 1: Gooch or Gooch-lite: Gooch (obviously), Boca,
    Category 2: nimble, but sucky: Orozco Fiscal, Ream, Demerit

Goodson for me is right in between these categories. He’s not that much of a physical presence like the other two in Category 1, but his passing out of the back kind of sucks.

It seems apparent that Klinsmann thinks Gonzalez and John would just be surplus in category 1. I don’t agree completely, but I understand his thinking. Would Gonzalez or John really be better than Gooch or Boca against someone like David Silva or Messi? Probably not.

Obviously Klinsmann is hoping that guys like Orozco Fiscal and Ream will improve with time. But it’s certainly not a sure thing.

215. abc says:

Any roster that includes Charlie Davies is now considered an insta-fail. Replace him with Wondolowski or CJ Sapong if you want to be taken seriously.

216. Ryan in NY from NC says:

Yea, I guess you’re right, TomG

217. bryan says:

haha ok. i guess we’ll see!

218. bryan says:

I like the Davies inclusion.

219. Dinho says:

Not a bad roster for camp cupcake…. potential additions:

1. CJ Sapong

2. Matt Besler

3. Mike Parkhurst

4. Josh Gatt

5. Kenny Cooper

220. PetedeLA says:

If Ribery plays, I’m almost positive he will play on the left.

221. away goals says:

Here’s one explanation:

This camp is aiming to integrate our new german overlords with our existing core talent. As such, JK doesn’t care to swap one set of fringe players out for another.

So sorry omar, john, and dozens of other fringe players that usmnt fans desperately want to be called in like so many interchangeable parts, you’ll have to wait until after the U20/U23 camp and the january mls camp.

Now let’s all just relax and enjoy deuce, lando and shea on the field at the same time.

222. pete says:

Haven’t heard much complaining about Kyle Beckermann who has proved every time he’s gotten an international call up that he will always just be a glorified MLS player and never succeed at the international level. If he starts over Bradley or Jones I may just start calling for Klinsi’s head!

223. Ryan says:

lol @ spelling fails…

224. marco says:

I agree with all your comments. His excuse of building a core means little if the core is rotten. Even if he likes Orozco’s and Rogers’ skills why is he afraid to let them compete?

225. camjam says:

Hard to disagree with that, but only because sacha is playing SO well, and is younger. I’m just saying that the level between how beckerman has performed and whatever the hell rogers is doing is not comprable.

226. marco says:

There are many MLS sides where Rogers would not play.

227. marco says:

Like Bornstein?

228. marco says:

My money is on abc, if Beckerman even shows up.
    Six friggen, DM’s.

229. marco says:

The point is Rogers has proven himself repeatedly.

230. Firebird says:

This team looks about 34th best in the world.

231. abc says:

me know english proper sentences at least lol

232. I JIKI RED BULLZ says:

The day JK gets rid of Orozco, Beckerman, and Rogers will be when pigs fly. I’m just surprise we’re not see Castillo as well.

I wish we could replace Orozco for John, Beckerman for Gonzalez, and Rogers for Gomez

GK: Howard, Hamid

DEF: Chandler, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Goodson, John, Gonzalez, Morales

MID: Bradley, Edu, Jones, Johnson, Williams, Shea, Donovan, Dempsey, Beasley

FWR: Altidore, Buddle, Gomez

This was the team I was expecting to see, I was a little unsure about Gonzalez and Donovan since they’re both still in the playoffs so in place of them two I had Spector in place of Gonzalez and Klestjan in place of Gonzalez.

233. Ricky B. Free says:

Get off your high horse for once. if you knew anything about soccer you would have a job running a team.

I do agree that some players shouldnt get called back to the team. But saying that a professional coach has no clue and hinting that you do is irrational.

234. Chris g says:

No Sascha and no Gomez is kinda a joke.

Also, is Benny really done w/ the nats?

235. Colin says:

So we now have 5 German born and raised players in Johnson, Williams, Jones, Chandler and Morales…. Well we will soon by the German-American Service Mens’ sons national team.. Looking at those names though, they do sound very American.

236. RangerSG says:

Gonzalez wasn’t going to get a call-up during the playoffs. I fully expect LD to be dropped or coddled if the Galaxy are still playing.

237. hogatroge says:

Good to know that our pool of fullbacks isn’t as shallow as 3 months ago. I still hope Eric Lichaj gets back into form by next summer though.

238. Well other players in the playoffs WERE called so your very premise is faulty.

239. Tell me why we want to sway him to the U.S. Right now, he is an absolute nobody. 70 minutes this season.

* YAWN *

240. I hope Morales chooses Peru. People here are always fascinated by the thing they know nothing about. You don’t know about him and he doesn’t play regularly for a REASON. The reason is that he just isn’t that good.

241. Start watching games with your eyes and your minds. I could careless what nation these guys were born in, as long as they take pride in being American. Americans with talent…that’s it.
    This whole Orozco bickering is getting old, yes he plays for his club and is adored in Mexico, but on our pitch with our team…he sucks. Anybody arguing that is an idiot. I can see JK not calling in young guys because we already have a system where they can develop and mature. If our youths were so awesome that they deserved to start with the senior team then it’s fair to think that they should dominate at the U23,20,19 levels (here’s a hint…they don’t). We are a growing team who needs talent. American talent.

JK has let Brek Shea prove exactly what American talent is on an international stage. Brek is on his way to developing as a true superstar! Who’s next? Let’s keep searching.

242. bryan says:

Klestjan should be there over Gonzalez and John.

243. Edwin in LA says:

It would only make our squad that much stronger, if you ask me with Lichaj at LB, Johnson backing him up or battling him for the starting spot until an actual naturally left footed Left back with the similar qualities to Chandler comes up with speed, strength, great defensive skill set to handle the world class speed and the best wingers of the world and also has great offensive qualities the way Chandler brings, I think Chandler would and should eventually bench Cherundolo, and then others can push to take away the back spot on the roster from Dolo. Not sure who besides the MLS kids Lloyd & Franklin could do this? Maybe future U-20 kids?

244. bryan says:

Howard
    Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Johnson
    Williams, Bradley
    Chandler, Donovan, Shea
    Dempsey

Either 4-4-2 (LD up top with CD) or 4-2-3-1.

This is what I would like to see. Subs (7):

Beasley, Jozy, Morales, Jones, Edu, Goodson, Buddle

245. Louis Z says:

Gonzalez and Moralez don’t play the same position, Gonzalez is probably 3rd deep behind Gooch and Goodson. Moralez, is a fast crafty outside back or mid. He can play U23, I wonder if this is why he is getting a shot at the senior team…If he pans out, he will be a great addition to our outside back, if he doesn’t, he can always play for the U23. Good move by Klinsi, at least we get a chance to keep him instead to see him play with Peru.

246. Edwin in LA says:

He had him working on the left wing in a drill of wingers sending in crosses to attackers and mids split in 2 teams when they opened up the practice to the public here in LA.

Plus like I said he can play there, and he has according to some of the reports on him when he first came on the scene of potential USMNT pool member

I know Klinsy likes Beckerman, but I sincerely hope he leaves Beckerman off the 18 man roster or on the bench if he’s a sub.

I’d rather see Edu who’s been starting in a more natural role, you’re right Johnson might thrive between Donovan & Shea and behind Dempsey who would be the withdrawn forwards behind Jozy

247. Edwin in LA says:

I didn’t name Gatt because I wasn’t sure what his injury situation is, but sure as hell hope he is good to go in a few weeks and joins the U-20/U-23 camp and later on the January Camp Cupcake.

Besler I’m a bit hesitant, I think it would be too much to ask of Klinsmann within his own previously stated tendencies to bring in new players, and within a reasonable camp to have 3 completely new CBs to the system, at least to Klinsmann’s system. John hasn’t had a cap despite being in camp a few times and Omar has 2 caps 1 with full squad mostly vs Brazil right after SA WC, and last January in camp cupcake. Same with Cameron except he got all of 5 or 6 minutes garbage time vs El Salvador last year in Feb, after the camp cupcake game. He did have a near goal shot.

248. Edwin in LA says:

Kenny Cooper, I’d call others before him honestly, like U-20 players. He needs to dominate a little more, and still doesn’t use his height and overall body.

CJ I’m willing to give him a look, I thought about him, but he is a rookie??

Parkhurst??? Not sure I think his time might of passed? But who knows maybe? I wish I could catch some of his games in Denmark

249. epablo says:

As an American-Colombian-Peruvian, I am proud that not only Agudelo chose USA, but now Alfredo Morales chose USA. :) :) :)

250. ELI says:

I think ALFREDO MORALES IS TEH REAL DEAL…YOUTUBE HIM…hes fast atheltic n smart technically gifted plays left back he ll replace Cherundolo.. PERU wants him to play for them.. GOOD jo KLINS this kid looks goo.. he played great agaisnt real madrid!! you tube him!!

251. The Imperative Voice says:

Let’s be real about the CB picks it’s probably Gooch and Goodson/Boca starting with Orozco as depth.

Ditto the midfielders, that’s a ton of quality picks plus his German trialists with Rogers perhaps thrown in for depth. Anyone see Rogers starting over Dempsey? Donovan? Shea? FWIW, he did score on Mexico, it’s not quite the same as Orozco, who has literally played poorly and would be a more appropriate Bornstein analogue.

What I find more interesting/troublesome is the F picks. Does the F by Beasley mean he is being considered for F duty? Interesting. If he isn’t totally disemboweled and/or rendered broken in a holdup play situation against a 6 foot 180 pound back he does have more technique than 80% of the F pool plus Donovan-worthy speed. And I am no Buddle fan, see that as a throwaway, though again, let’s keep it real, you look at this roster and you know he’s the 4th or 5th option with Slash Dempsey (forward/mid) around.

So while I agree that some of the second tier choices at the periphery of the roster are questionable, I don’t know if I’m losing sleep over them, it’s the last guys getting subbed in. Yes, I wouldn’t mind seeing Gomez and some others, but they’d be in the same boat of cameo 15 minute subs, so are they better off in Mexico, etc.?

I also would presume that some of the Scandinavian/ Russian/ Danish/ MLS players will get a winter camp callup. Though along those lines I would note that Omar Gonzo is hopelessly slow for an international, and Parkhurst is small and slow, but smarts aren’t enough at the level he would be bumped to.

And George John has all but given y’all a Rossi middle finger and dressed in blue and white, when will it be acknowledged he’s not just mediocre but basically disinterested? It’s not like a Subotic situation where I’m like he’s interested and you’re stupid to alienate him. He’d be lucky to merit the grade and even if he’s mildly interested I’d not waste valuable roster room to cap tie someone this……OK.

252. MicahK says:

He has not sucked he has only been average. Who are you judging Orozco’s play for the nats saying he sucks ?

253. junior says:

im tired of seeing orozco, beckerman, and rogers!.. i hope they lose the next games to put klinsman in the hot seat…

254. Louis Z says:

we already have two big CBs and we are lacking outside fullback. that why Klinsi is taking a look at Morales.

255. Louis Z says:

because we have two big CBs already for these freindlies.

256. Hush says:

I’m disgusted to see Rogers, Beckerman, and Buddle. No Sasha, Finley, Casey, Buddle, ROGERS, Goodson, and Beckerman please senor Klint!

Adu, OG, GJ, Farfan, Cameron, Sapong, HERCULEZ for God sake! …. We have players available now that can easily replace 3 players who were called for the Nov friendlies.

Call Chuck D, klint,… Maybe him putting on a U.S jersey might boost his confidence. Maybe he can draw a god damn penalty kick for the NATS since we lack in scoring! Any help up front would be greatly appreciated.

I strongly believe Omar’s rant over getting a call up hurt his chances. He should of kept his mouth shut!

257. marco says:

Blazing speed at FB was disproved by both Spain and Barcelona winners of both cups. This false idea keeps coming up regardless of the facts.

258. marco says:

Speed at CB was disproved by both Spain and Barcelona winners of both cups. This false idea keeps coming up regardless of the facts.

259. marco says:

Speed at CB is overrated and non-existent on many top sides.

260. Louis Z says:

Orozco to me is a bit above average, for some reason Klinsi thinks he is good enough. Morales is an up and commer saw a few videos of him and he looks very good outside back. The kid has speed and a very good touch. I wouldn’t be surprise if there is an agrement with this kid that if he doesn’t make it in the senior group he will be going to the U23 group. I think is a good move by Klinsi…sort of like we get first crack at this kid before Peru beat us to the punch.

261. Carlos says:

To be honest, Gonzalez deserves to not be called up. Not because of ability but because of his comment about being open to the Mexican National Team who doesnt even want him. Playing for the national team is a privilage, and any national team coach wants players who are completely commited to the team. Gonzalez is coming off as concieted and disrespecful. He has 3 or 4 CB in front of him, humble up, continue to work hard, you’ll get another shot.

262. Louis Z says:

from just ok to terrible? a bit of a strech don’t you think?

263. Louis Z says:

good question

264. Stephen says:

Is Fabian Johnson healthy? Also, when does Zac Whitbread get a look?

265. Stephen says:

Um Dolo plays right back.

266. Louis Z says:

because he is young enough to play U23 and is starting to play with his senior club team. I’m sure Klinsi has inquired about him. Let’s see what the kid can do. He may surprise you.

267. Louis Z says:

From your replies you seem to be stuck on this 70 minute thing. I don’t think you have seen him play, the kid has game. we know what the other guys have this kid may ended up being a special one. no harm in giving him a chance.

268. hogatroge says:

After being reminded that Rogers is about to be off-contract, I think JK’s just doing his buddy a solid and giving him a chance to maybe impress a Scandinavian scout or something.

269. DaveW says:

Michael Orozco seems a nice young man, just not sure he has improved very much with time…

It might be interesting to note that San Luis were so sure that the Union would exercise their buy option that they didn’t bother registering him for last spring’s Clausura, leaving Michael with no place to play for 6 months. They also let him try out with Pachuca before finally sticking with him in this Apertura. Not the most resounding vote of confidence.

It is true that he did well for the US at the youth level–the Olympic red card was unfortunate but everyone makes mistakes, he shouldn’t be judged on that one. But by now he’s a pretty experienced player and he makes a lot of mistakes for a CB.

Oh, and I believe his one and only official senior team cap was at Trinidad and Tobago in the semifinal round of WCQ. Bradley put out a young team after clinching a spot in the Hex, allowing a number of established players to rest and spend more time with their club teams.

270. phlub says:

Rogers

– scored 1 of 2 goals for the Klinsman era US team in 5 matches.

– his corner was headed in by jb in the last WCQ against costa rica

He has a decent past with the US. Still is only 24. Hasn’t didn’t shine for the Crew this season (did have 7 assists), but he is undoubtedly talented as a wide attacking midfielder.

Understand everyone’s issue, but just saying, he isn’t that bad.

271. Mike says:

why in the hell are rodgers and orozco on this roster? throw the bums out.

272. Louis Z says:

I think ELI meant RB, that is what he played against Real Madrid, when he plays as a MID I have only seen vids of him playing in the left, it wouldn’t be a big strech for him to play LB. What I like about him is the flair of his game for being a German born kid.

273. Jim Jimmy Jimbo says:

“The kid has great technical ability” —-
    ——–?

no, he really doesn’t.

274. jim jimmy jimbo says:

don’t insult clowns.

275. Justa Guy says:

So, what’s up with Freddy Adu? Is he out of contention at this point?

276. Eurosnob says:

Dude, they play different positions. Klejstan is central mid, while Rogers plays on the wing. If you want to complain about exclusion of Klejstan, pick one of the central mids that should be sent home. If you want to complain about inclusion of Rogers, then suggest someone who plays Rogers’ position.

277. Eurosnob says:

I think you are wrong with respect to Altidore. At the moment, his is our best striker. Altidore led the USMNT in scoring in the last WC qualifying and is a regular starter for the team that is currently at the top of the Dutch league. Who are the alternatives? Agudelo can’t win a starter position with the Red Bulls, Bunbury is in a similar although slightly better position with his MLS club. Gomez had a total stinker of a world cup and will be too old by WC2014.

278. VinceN says:

rogers has speed…that’s it…his touch is mediocre at best…I still want to be patient with klinns to see what his plans are…a prime example is the hiring of the Jim Harbaugh with the 49ers…i heard all sorts of complaining in the bay area when the 9ers were in the offseason…not too much complaining anymore…we have to give klinnsman some time because he doesn’t get to be with the team everyday for 6 months. He gets them for 1 week every couple of months…so be patient guys

279. Matt says:

Didn’t you hear? Gomez isn’t Mexican enough and Wondolowski spends his free time kicking puppies. That’s why they both weren’t called up but guys like Robbie Rogers were.

280. Matt says:

Someone needs to go Tanya Harding on Rogers so we can get someone called in as a replacement. Sorry Robbie, but it’s for the best dude.

281. Matt says:

Altidore is not so good that he deserves to always start. We have a lot of strikers in the pool, but he is the only one who gets PT with the Nats. WTF?

282. Milkman says: