Nashville, Carson, Kansas City to host CONCACAF Olympic qualifiers

CONCACAF

Feel free to begin making your plans to catch the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament.

CONCACAF announced that the tournament will take place at three sites in the United States starting in late March, with eight teams vying for two spots at the 2012 Olympics in London. So far, the United States, Mexico, Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala and Panama have qualified for the tournament.

Livestrong Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan., will host the semifinals of the tournament on March 31, with the winners not only moving on to the April 2 final (which will also be played in Kansas City), but also cementing berths at the Summer Olympics.

Prior to that, one group will play its games at LP Field in Nashville, Tenn., on March 22, 24 and 26. The other will play its games at the Home Depot center in Carson, Calif., on March 23, 25 and 27, and the top two teams from each group will advance to the semifinals.

What do you think about the site choices? Planning on going to the games? Excited that Kansas City will be hosting the final?

This entry was posted in CONCACAF, U.S. Men's Olympic Team. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Nashville, Carson, Kansas City to host CONCACAF Olympic qualifiers

1. Rory says:

Very glad Nashville is hosting some games… but I will only go if the US is playing there.

Does anyone know, do they keep the same four teams at the same stadium, or is there a chance the US could play in both Nashville and Carson?

2. Spectra says:

Do we know who has the TV rights?

3. rory says:

And KC is only 8 hours away, the weekend before my spring break (I’m a teacher)… hmph!

4. ChadPfister says:

Stoked about LSP hosting the Semifinals and Finals. Another opportunity for KC to cement itself as the place visiting national teams do not want to play.

5. hogatroge says:

I’m glad too… not because I will be able to make it, but because it won’t be a frickin’ home game for Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala or any other Central American team.

6. Rory says:

That stadium is so freakin’ sweet. I took my son on the tour, that thing lasted two hours, they took us on the field, in the dressing room, in the owner’s luxury box (with his 200 bottle wine collection), in Lance Armstrongs chair, in the press row, the players’ smoothie bar, the fan’s sushi bar, I mean freakin’ everywhere.

7. hogatroge says:

I feel the same way… My family’s in Nashville, so I could double up on the airfare.

Regardless, I think (not 100% sure) the Gold Cup is the only tournament where they allocate teams based on potential revenue. I don’t think there’s any guarantee where the USMNT is playing quite yet.

8. Rory says:

I would figure the better money making scenario would be Mexico in Carson and US in Nashville… but I think Olympics are less about money than FIFA, as is everything on the planet.

9. Vince says:

Wow. Even tougher qualifying than the WC. Only 2 spots, with Mexico looming in there.

One upset by any team not named Mexico could really jack up the whole thing for the US.

On the bright side, all the U20 guys (aka THE MOST TALENTED U20/U23s THE US HAS EVER HAD, as we are constantly told) will have the chance to pull a massive choke job in another qualifying tourney.

10. Steve McSteve says:

Harsh much? They lost one game to Guatemala in Guatemala. Yeah they should’ve won but these qualifying tournaments are rough when it all comes down to one game.

11. Rory says:

Yep, last time around our best players weren’t released and we slipped up and missed the Olympics. It’s always a possibility.

12. Goalscorer24 says:

When will they announce what teams will play where. I hope the US plays in LA! I would love to see the potential olympic team up close.

13. Common Sense says:

Yeah they have the most talent than ever before but they never PLAY the lineup with the most talent.

14. jim b says:

Hopefully this decision, rewarding KC with high-profile games, serves notice to teams without a stadium. Get one built and the USSF will reward you

15. eric says:

When are the groups set and teams scheduled?

16. Scott says:

I will definitely be in Nashville! Great place to watch a game.

17. DC Josh says:

No excuses USA, you better qualify on your home turf. It’s still sad that we host every international regional tournament. If Mexico can host a world cup, why can’t they host Olympic qualifying?

18. DC Josh says:

*youth world cup.

19. RK says:

No we didn’t — I can remember Jozy playing in China and Pelligrini whining that he wasn’t in town for training camp.

link to en.wikipedia.org

20. FSegaud says:

Um, they hosted the time Donovan was on the team (2004 I believe).

21. FSegaud says:

Qualifying tournament is ran by CONCACAF hence it is a FIFA “lite” tournament. Money is everything…Mexico in LA, US in Nashville, that is a lock. And I hate that because I’m in LA.

22. Rory says:

Oh man! You’re right… funny how I forgot that… it was Mexico that slipped up and we had to beat them in a Concacaf semi-final or so to make it. I guess I was crossing that with the last youth world cup qualifying I was thinking of. The point remains, it can happen, as it happened to Mexico.

23. Marco says: