Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

ArsenalChelsea (Getty)

The Manchester Derby stole all the headlines last week, but the focus in Europe returns to London this weekend as Arsenal and Chelsea renew their Derby.

Chelsea is coming off a disappointing derby loss to Queens Park Rangers, and will face an Arsenal side growing in confidence after a slow start to the season, thanks in large part to red-hot striker Robin Van Persie.

Saturday's schedule is loaded with high-profile match-ups in Europe, with Serie A featuring Roma-AC Milan and first-place Juventus taking on relegation zone inhabitants Inter Milan in the Derby d'Italia.

On the Americans Abroad front, Tim Howard takes on his former club, Manchester United, while Timmy Chandler will try to replicate the work of U.S. teammate Steve Cherundolo by beating Bayern Munich.

Saturday night's schedule features the best match-up of the MLS conference semifinals as Seattle takes on Real Salt Lake in a battle of West powers. If you will be watching today's action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Today's TV Schedule is after the jump):

4 p.m. - GOLTV - Santos vs. Atletico Paranaense

7 p.m. - ESPN3.com - Boston College vs. Virginia

8 p.m. - GOLTV - Irapuato vs. Leones Negros

8 p.m. - Telefutura - Pachuca vs. Monterrey

8 p.m. - Telemundo - Tigres UANL vs. Santos Laguna

9:30 p.m. - Galavision - Atlas vs. Chivas de Guadalajara

10 p.m. - GOLTV - Ft. Lauderdale Strikers vs. NSC Minnesota Stars (delayed)

10 p.m. - Fox Soccer Channel - Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle Sounders

10 p.m. - Telefutura - Atlante vs. Morelia

This entry was posted in Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

1. Dale says:

Hernandez got the best of Everton’s defence on that goal….

2. Predicto says:

Rangers getting outplayed by Aberdeen in the first half – but Edu active & Boca solid at CB. Just the rest of them can’t get going in final 3rd. And looks like they lost Naismith with bad knee injury.

3. Citronomics says:

Bracing for a Nor Easter here in central mass. Hopefully it misses us just like Gervinho flubbed that terrific cross from Walcott.

4. chris says:

Arsenal’s defence is horrid.

5. Predicto says:

Brrr – also chilly this morning in Texas. Got 50F now and only going to hit 70F today – winter has come :)

6. Citronomics says:

I’ll take 50F. That’s a shorts day in New England.

7. Edwin in LA says:

Okay so with Mata being Chelsea’s arguable best player and Sturridge coming of age, and Torres finally scoring something? lol

Is it safe to say Montreal should make a January move? If they get him late January he can be in camp and ready for the start of the season and help them cap off on Season Tickets and also sell most tickets in advanced to all their games, I mean they got like 12 or 13K as a NASL/USL squad?

And where does Drogba go to? He would be great for a team like Villa or Everton but doubt they can afford him?

8. Edwin in LA says:

Seriously even here in LA 50 is very acceptable, and believe me we are spoiled as hell lol

I hear people bitching when it’s 60 or 70 or 60s at night…….. I’m like WTH? lol

Worst is when they’re from the Bay Area, they should know cold weather lol

Now if it’s anything below 70 and raining, then I have a problem, I can’t handle cold AND rain, just 1 please!

God reminds me of High School soccer in like 30 degree weather in Jan-Feb in Houston… Brrrr indeed

9. DanO says:

Where in cent mass? Battening the hatches here in Worcester.

10. chris says:

oh baby walcott is raw

11. ManicMessiah says:

Cech beaten for two goals at the near post, but defensive lapses for both teams. Definitely entertaining.

12. Citronomics says:

Cheer! In the Woo as well. Revved up the ol snow blower yesterday but w the wet stuff we’re getting (and the fact that I can’t seem to find my inner peace when working the machine), I may resort to calling my landscape guy if we do get smashed like weather channel says we will.

13. Joe says:

Agreed.

I hope this snow misses us in northern Connecticut. Something tells me we are gonna get nailed.

14. Citronomics says:

*Cheers!*

15. DanO says:

I hear ya! Got the generator all ready to roll. I have visions of another ice storm. Wet snow and leaves on the trees is a bad combo… Good luck! Burncoat in the house!

16. Citronomics says:

Holy Cow! Mata with a f***ing rocket. Purchase of the year so far in the EPL?

17. whooze says:

O/T but can we have a friendly in ASIA against Japan or South Korea and do it like next year for Memorial Day or Veteran’s Day and dedicate it for the troops. would be Massive

18. whooze says:

Dempsey with a hat trick for today

19. TomG says:

Oh my God! So glad I got up early for this game. Come on you Gunners! What a game!

20. TomG says:

Raw on the nerves of the Chelsea defenders, you mean.

21. OmarVizquel says:

AVB’s gonna split the seat of his pants one of these days. XS slacks and constant crouching are a dangerous combination.

22. glaing says:

lmfao

23. ericJ says:

FIRE Wenger??

24. away goals says:

Sergio aguero would like a word.

25. Predicto says:

tryed to watch first half of Jermain Jones v Daniel Williams but my Schalke v Hoffenheim stream is so bad I can’t meke them out. I guess I’ll stick to Fulham.

26. whooze says:

Both are in my mind the running for best player of the 1st half of the season

27. Predicto says:

Fulham on the backfoot – and Dempsey seems slow today – got burned couple times on defense

28. timmytwoshoezzz says:

Fulham are going to be fighting the relegation monster most of the year I’m afraid.

29. Predicto says:

Wow – Dempsey gets a counter attack goal out of nowhere. Zamora sets him up perfectly. Wigan is dominating but behind.

30. g? says:

Goal Dempsey!

31. whooze says:

My boy Dempsey with his 3rd league goal of the season. Tied with AJ and Zamora for Fulham’s top scorer. He is leaving this season, trust me.

32. Josh says:

D’OH! After a long week, I decided to sleep in today, and apparently missed a fantastic Arsenal-Chelsea tilt!! Oh well, glad Arsenal won… perhaps reports of their demise are premature?

33. Citronomics says:

Right on. My espresso hadn’t kicked in yet. Ageuro is tearing it up for Man City.

34. Edwin in LA says:

Sergio Aguero and what about Suarez? Guy’s runs are amazing, I forget what game it was that I watched but he just kept making perfect diagonal runs for Liverpool, Caroll’s got to get healthy to be the perfect complement to Suarez’ speed!

35. primoone says:

Daniel Williams getting his stroll on tracking back all the way to the goal letting his man beat him while he was jogging back…gets to the goal line as the ball was going to cross the goal line…ball hits his feet and poops into the goal.

That was pretty embarassing

36. spencer says:

You forgot about how it tends to rain half of the games, so not only is it freezing but the fields have puddle’s of water on them.

37. Tony in Quakeland says:

Arsenal defense much bettter the second half. And even in the first half, it was really all on Mertesacker, who was horrid on both goals. I really wonder how he’s got all those caps for Germany. Relace him (or if he imroves his lay) and Arsenal rolls over Chelsea.

38. kimo says:

Mertesacker is a GREAT positional player and fantastic organizer. There’s a reason Arsenal’s TEAM defense is much better with him. His weakness is obvious…athleticism. On both goals he gave up, he was positioned perfectly and was simply beaten to the ball.

39. DF says:

Trying to watch this Roma-Milan game – anyone got any idea how to stream some video? I know it’s on foxsoccer.tv, but seriously. . .

40. Edwin in LA says:

Triple whammy… On Turf!!! Ouch, damn you slippery turf! lol

I take it you played High School Football then? In Texas it was a pain, now all the schools have a damn grass field, ugh I hate it lol

At least in Houston it’s like that and use to be like that

41. Edwin in LA says:

check out firstrowsports (DOT) tv

I’m not writing the full link cause the bots shut them down, channels try to get them down for viewership I guess it’s working great for me pretty good quality too

42. ef you says:

tim howard is chicharito client.

43. Indigo Montoya says:

As a Fulham supporter, I sincerely hope he doesn’t leave. Ever. However, as a USMNT aficionado, I’d love to see him as a regular on a Champions League squad (as Dempsey has previously stated as a goal of his). I think it escapes many people’s attention that the U.S. have a midfielder, playing in the top flight of England, that has been bangin’ in 8-10 goals a season for the past 3 or 4 years. Fulham named a bar after McBride – Dempsey will receive similar recognition when he’s finished.

COYW
    COUSMNT

44. Indigo Montoya says:

Huh? As in some kind of “John?” Your grammar is unpossible.

45. DF says:

Thanks sir – got a nice feed from there.

46. Citronomics says:

And Carroll doubles his current EPL season production with a good finish and nutmeg while slipping (albeit recovering from a poor touch) and beautiful set up by Suarez on the counter. Red Dragons!

47. spencer says:

didn’t play football, played soccer, and had most of our tournaments in Houston and more fields had grass than turf, the thing though is the schools stopped taking care of the fields once football was done, so half our field was dirt.

48. Bryan says:

Dembele really should have played the ball off to Dempsey on his goal, he didn’t have any business trying the shot with a man that open to his left. Fulham struggles to score, they should really try making it as easy as possible.

49. footyskillz says:

Jones back in the starting for Schalke. Wonder if we’ll see him next month…

Chandler had a fair game vs. Bayern, but they got trounced. Like everyone does. Pretty cool to have him, Williams, Johnson, and Jones all up on my comp at the same time.

Oh, and Im in DC and we have a sleet/snow/rain mix going on here.

50. Tony in Quakeland says:

I beg to differ on his positioning for these two goals, especially the first where he stepped AWAY from his mark for no discernible reason and get caught out. He doesn’t step up, he clears that away easily. The corner was marginally better, but he failed to mark Terry adequately and failed to deal with a weak ball in. You could argue on the second goal (although I disagree) but it is hard to make your case on the first.

Perhaps with Vermeleen coming back, the pairing will make up for some of his short comings. But to me, he never looks comfortable with the ball. He’s all about height (making him possibly the Peter Crouch of defenders) and if he fails like he did on the first goal to take advantage of his height, well… that’s worrisome.

That said, He was better in the second half and I’m willing to write it off as a bad half.

51. kimo says:

I don’t know how you can argue his positioning was poor. He got beat to two headers that he was slow to react to. The first should have been EASILY headed away. His vert leap was about 2 inches off the ground!!! The 2nd…he simply let Terry get a full step in front of him before reacting.

ANYONE who knew ANYTHING re Per could have told you he was an average aerial player. His backline positioning during the flow of the game is his strength…not his 1 vs 1 battle winning ability. That was my point.

52. Khan says:

Messi with the first half hat trick. There goes that drought.

53. Tony in Quakeland says:

No, I get what you’re saying. But on the first goal he stepped away from his mark. He gave up his position for no reason to step into space. If his athleticism is as poor as you say, he cannot afford to be less than perfect.

That said, I’m backing off being so pissed off at him. But I think it is a question whther or not he can get exposed

54. PD says:

Inter and Juve is a firecracker… real end to end stuff!

55. beachbum says:

Van Persie has hit a new level. whereas before he seemed spoiled and soft too often, his response to Arsenal’s new team and challenges this season has been impressive for sure, and I don’t particularly like Arsenal or RVP. but credit where it’s due

56. Bad defending but good entertainment