Porter named U.S. Under-23 coach, Ramos to coach U-20s

NCAATQ(R)1212203955

photo by Tony Quinn/ISIphotos.com

U.S. Soccer has named Caleb Porter and Tab Ramos as head coaches of its U-23 and U-20 men's national teams.

Porter will coach the U-23 team and lead it through qualifying for the the 2012 Olympic games in London. Porter is to remain as head coach of Akron University, and will coach both the Zips and U.S. U-23 team.

Ramos will be in charge of the U-20 team, which he coached on an interim basis earlier this year when the team had a training camp and two friendlies in France.

The first training camp for both teams will be held from Nov. 7-16 in Germany. Ramos will be in charge of the camp and will get assistance from U.S. Soccer Youth Technical Director Claudio Reyna. The full coaching staff and team schedule for Germany will be announced at a later date.

The 36-year-old Porter has coached some of the country's top young talents since joing Akron in 2006. He has a 90-13-10 record through five seasons, and the highest winning percentage amongst active coaches in NCAA Division 1.

Porter, who was named NSCAA National Coach of the Year, guided Akron to an NCAA National Championship in 2010. He has coached U.S. national team forward Teal Bunbury as well as D.C. United's Perry Kitchen and Seattle Sounders' Steve Zakuani.

Ramos, a fomer U.S. men's national team player who earned 81 caps, was a part of three World Cups and scored eight goals in his career at the international level. He has played in MLS, Mexico and Spain.

What do you think of this development? Think Porter and Ramos are good hires? How do you see the U.S. youth teams doing under them?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's Olympic Team, U.S. Under-20 National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to Porter named U.S. Under-23 coach, Ramos to coach U-20s

1. Second City says:

Table set for Caleb Porter to be fast-tracked to the senior/first team national duty once Klinsmann steps down (or potentially steps up into a higher role within the federation) in the future?

Either way, I like both selections. Good things, good things…

2. ABSOLUTELY! Porter is, hands down, the best young coach in the nation. He made a smart move to turn down D.C. United. He’ll be the full USMNT within the next 10 years. And we will be better off for it.

3. Welshbean says:

I wonder with Porter’s link to the under 23’s; what that will mean with his higher potential for recruiting for Akron??? Tab is a beast; he will bring the best out of the young lads.

4. joel says:

both selections are very good.

5. Lisa NYC says:

What’s with the halo? Is he our new soccer Jesus?

6. Second City says:

the term “lol” is rarely used when it’s literal but I actually laughed out loud after reading/observing the imagine again.

Well done, Lisa, well done.

7. ricardo says:

Ramos is a beast? He has been coaching all of 3 years and that has been in the US Academy.

Caleb is a good man

8. Citronomics says:

Ditto on this sentiment.

9. betamale says:

waiting for the Bob Bradley apologists to commence complaining…

10. Tab is a decent young coach. Being a great player does NOT equal being a great coach. Porter, on the other hand, has real coaching experience and knows how to manage a group. He’s forgotten more about coaching than JK knows.

11. Machista Gay says:

12. pd says:

Has Tab Ramos ever coached before? Only know about his playing career…

13. pd says:

why would you assume that a Bob Bradley apologist would have a problem with either of these appointments?

14. pd says:

if he’s jesus does that make JK god? i shudder to think about Gulati being the blessed virgin

15. Machista Gay says:

I agree but who is second? Martin Rennie

16. SD says:

Is it a coincidence that the camp will be held in europe in november during the same time period of the november friendlies?….i like what’s beginning to hapen here…

17. theakinet says:

Someone just got a recruiting boost.

18. rambo says:

Anyone think Reyna will be the full USMNT coach at some point?

19. Eurosnob says:

I also like Porter’s choice, but I am concerned about his lack of international experience. There is a big difference between a college soccer level of competition and playing against Olympic teams from Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, etc. I hope he gets good experienced assistant coaches.

20. pd says:

to observe the senior team in action will be a fantastic experience for these guys….

21. Good coaches are good coaches. He’s the best college coach in the nation and isn’t even 40 years old. He’ll be more than fine.

22. Eurosnob says:

Did you just say that the 36 year-old coach of Akron knows more about coaching than the guy who coached German national team and Bayern?

23. I sure hope not. He has very little actual experience.

24. Colin says:

If he was the U-20 or U-17 coach, you could definitely suggest the possibility for conflict of interest. However, since most 20-22 year old players with talent have already been gobbled up by other coaches, I don’t see the problem re: recruiting for Akron.

25. Khan says:

Akron will have the best team in the NCAA for years. Every top player will be going there now.

Klinsmann is quickly establishing an incredible coaching staff. And make note that the training camp for the U-20s and U-23s is the same time as the Senior team camp… and in the same place :)

Sounds like things are starting to come together.

26. Oyeoro says:

Anyone paying attention to the timing? How is Porter in Germany during Arkon’s run through NCAA Tournament? is that about the same time as the final cup?

27. Poo says:

so did our current head coach when he took germany to 3rd in the cup.

28. marco says:

I projected Porter as the next Low a while back, and he’s on that course.

29. Sonicdeathmonkey says:

Is it me or does Porter look like he could pass as Clint Dempsey’s older brother?

30. Sonicdeathmonkey says:

The article says that Ramos will run the camp. It doesn’t say anything about Porter being there.

31. abc says:

College sports is mostly about the ability to recruit, how do we know Porter is a good coach, in that he can get more out of players than their talent level? Maybe he can, but where is the evidence?

32. Josh says:

Sorry, what do you know about Tab as a coach?

33. dabull says:

How does this affect Porter’s ability to have contact w/ high school age players under NCAA recruiting rules?

34. emcb1230 says:

nah, that would be Sasho.

35. Shane says:

Rennie and Porter my two fav coaches.

36. COYZ (ComeonyouZips!) says:

If you’re worried about Porter having trouble handling subs, don’t worry about that. He usually only subs once or twice a game unlike most other NCAA coaches. As a Zips fan, Porter’s teams play the beautiful game beautifully. I’m really happy he’s getting this chance AND staying at Akron.

37. marco says:

Klinsi’s next, Joachim Löw .

38. COYZ (ComeonyouZips!) says:

He’s been an assistant for the U-18 team for the past few years. Obviously, he gets an advantage, but it seems to be in line with the NCAA regulations.

39. Alex says:

Hmm.. Incredible coaching staff? I’m still not convinced with Martin Vasquez. I know there were a million different variables affecting Klinsmann’s time at Bayern, but the players have said the tactics JK and Vasquez, as well as the way they trained, were subpar. I’m willing to give JK plenty of time to get it right but I’m not sure Vasquez is the right guy… It’s early days and JK, as I said, needs time, but I’ve yet to be anywhere near convinced by the MNT in any of their games thus far, and it might have something to do with Vasquez.

40. Corey says:

This has nothing to do with Tab Ramos as a coach, but I saw him play in a exhibition game last year and he can still ball. I really think if he still wanted to play in the MLS, he could start for a couple of teams. Him and Stewart Holden play very similar and IMO are the two best American players with the ball at their feet and with the awareness to hit a FORWARD pass (not mentioning names, Renya, cough cough).

Anyway two good coaching selections.

41. Shane says:

WTH is the training camp in germany anyway? Should be in Akron. He’s our boy let us get to see a training camp. Annoying

42. Eurosnob says:

Porter is a good coach, but college soccer is quite different from the international soccer and brings a different set of challenges. Just in terms of varity of playing styles and the quality of talent the gap is enormous. The team that won the gold in 2008 Olympics had players like Messi, Riquelme, Aguerro, Di Maria, Macherano, etc. No disrespect to Porter or college soccer, but I think the coaching challenges in the Olympics will be much stiffer than anything Akron team has to face during the college season. I have confidence in his ability to develop young talent – that’s the reason he got the job, but he will also need to rely on experienced assistant coaches.

43. Eurosnob says:

I am not concerned about his ability of handling the subs and Akron plays a different brand of soccer from most college teams, but most college teams that Zips face play a very direct, kick and run style. He will have a very different set of challenges when his team has to face the best young players from countries like Spain, Argentina, Brazil. I will root for Porter to be a success with the U23 team.

44. Turgid Jacobian says:

Ramos is one of my favorite two us players all time. Of course my time as a fan extends only back to early 90s

45. Rory Miller says:

Disappointed Klinsman isn’t just taking the team to the Olympics… afterall, would be added motivation for players to attend and our national team is full of guys eligible for the Olympics…

Adu, Altidore, Shea, Chandler, Bunbury, Diskerud, Gonzalez, Agudelo, Gatt, Hamid, Opara, Gale all are in the team or deserve a close look by Klinsy and the Olympics could provide that.

46. wilyboy says:

Best #$%^ing decision…. ever.

47. wilyboy says:

Alright, to elaborate:

This guy knows how to find and tune American players to play fluid, attacking soccer without giving anything away. He has an eye for talent and making the unit better than the sum of its parts. Oh, and he likes to win. A lot. He’s a budding coaching genius for the US, and this is a great time and a great group for him to work on.

So excited.

48. george3000 says:

Agreed. Though I’m sure most would agree that FC Dallas is not on the same level as the Brazils and Spains of the world, Schellas Hyndman has made a hugh impact with that team since moving over from SMU. They were gawd awful for years.

Besides, I’m sure the powers that be (Klinsman, Reyna, etc) have actually had a conversation or two with the guy to see if he knows his head from a hole in the ground. If they feel comfortable giving the guy a chance, who am I to say otherwise?

49. eric says:

Not sure how the Mid American Conference tournament works but UA’s last game is the 6th. He could fly over for the start of camp(7th) and come back to coach the tournament on Friday(11th). Giving him about 4 days with the team as they get started and then work with Tab and Jurgen for the rest of the time.

50. BF says:

Porter’s selection gives you a window into the mind of Klinsi. If you are not a highly technical youth player ( think Barca) with vision than you are in trouble. Porter’s selection confirms that! Being big and fast just won’t cut it anymore. This is GREAT news!

51. Dennis says:

National team coaches at any level do not have the players long enough to “develop” them in any real sense. Sure they can make suggestions to players that may be important, but they get to have the players for such short spans that actual development mostly happens elsewhere.
    NT coaches can, however, by their selections and by those rather infrequent interactions strongly influence how players (and the coaches who actually spend a lot more time with those players) view the game and what those players should be trying to improve on.

52. Dennis says:

Who ever thought Klinsmann wanted to work that much?

53. ricardo says:

Alex….thank God you are on this site. You know what you are talking about. I hope I am wrong but in time we will see that MV, TR and CR have zero/limited coaching resumes and being a great player does not always transfer into being a great coach. It takes at 15-20 years to learn coaching and you can’t read it in a book.
    Keep em coming Alex

54. Jackal says:

Say what you want about JK coaching ability but he sure does know how to spot coaching talent.

55. beachbum says:

nothing to apologize for…that’s the wrong term. The term is respect, as is one can respect the man for what he accomplished, or not have the spine to do it.

but there’s nothing to apologize for

as for these appointments, I’m hopeful, especially on Porter

56. Sonicdeathmonkey says:

Yeah, it takes 15-20 years to learn coaching. Just ask “The Special One”, who went from being an interperter for Bobby Robson to European champion in about 5 years.

57. Angel FAN of USA says:

I think he could do good and I think he is a great Coach in College level. International well we don’t know yet until he coach the U23 in the Olympics and some friendlies. I think Klismann will be Watching and making some suggestion also ala “De la Torres (Mexico Team)”. I think Klismann and Reyna have good confidence on him. Another thing is that they are going to train in Germany hmmmm I wonder why? it is cause there must be more players that will be in U23 and U20 that are in Europe leagues like Germany… I can see T.Chandler, J.Gatt, J.Gyau, Robles, J. Kiesewetter,Jann George, T. Boyd, Tyrone McCargo, D.Williams, Gale, Wood, Jeffrey Jared, Brooks. etc. plus young players that raising up in the MLS. I can see this a good thing.

58. Who was dumb enough to ask why training is in Germany. Look at the geography of Europe my friend and where France and Slovenia are in relation to Deutschland.

Angel Fan – You forgot Morales at Hertha BSC, Renken at Hoffe, and Wooten at 1.FCK! Aside from that, it’s a core of a darn fine team.

59. GW says:

Well, you failed to stop them hiring him. So I guess you are going to get your evidence now.

60. GW says:

Relax pd.

Sunil is the Holy Ghost.

61. GW says:

What do these two have to do with BB?

62. GW says:

No argument with Tabare but Holden doesn’t belong in any conversation with Reyna.

His best games have been for Bolton, not the US. He still has to prove he can be a regular starter for the US.

63. GW says:

Funny, for some reason I thought maybe JK would have some connections in Germany so training there seemed to make a lot of sense to me. Beisdes it means most of the squad will feel at home.

As for Geography, I doubt the USMNT is overly concerned about flying an extra hour or two.

64. Don’t kid yourself into thinking JK did the heavy lifting there. Pretty much everyone knows it was JL that did the real work. And when JK was left with him at Bayern he was a miserable failure.

65. Yes, I did. And I stand by the statement. Caleb Porter has far more day-to-day and month-to-month coaching experience than JK does.

66. Caleb Porter was in the U.S. coaching ranks LONG before JK was involved. He can’t take credit for anything having to do with Porter.

67. GW says:

Franz Beckenbauer had never coached before taking the Germany job in 1984.

Two years later he took them to the World Cup Final where they lost to Argentina

Six years later in 1990 he won the World Cup with JK as his striker

Ten years later he took the Bundesliga Championship with Bayern

Twelve years later he took the UEFA Cup with Bayren.

That is four serious coaching accomplishments in twelve years beating your criteria by three years.

And if you think just anyone could have taken those teams that far you don’t know muchh about them.

68. Der Kaiser says:

Exactly why Klinsmann picked Germany as the training camp: connections, facilities and location (it’s a 1.5 hr flight to Paris and Slovenia). Why on earth would someone question Germany as the training camp location?

69. GW says:

You make a fair point.

But Klinsmann obviously sees something in Porter and how better what to bring him along than with this posting?

If he fails miserably then we know something and move on. But Porter seems to be something special and just may need a platform to show it.

Jogi Loew,while obviously much more experienced than Porter when he first hooked up with JK, was hardly a big time big name. He had bounced around a lot and seemed like a hard luck case. Like Porter he needed a stable platform to show what he could do and JK gave that to him.

And ultimately it comes down to, does anyone have a better idea for a candidate?

JK needs to use that position to try out his next “brilliant tactician” assistant, not another great ex-player. Vasquez is there for many things but not tactical brilliance.

And Kreis has a good thing going at RSL. He can take over the USMNT when they fire Porter for not winning the World Cup.

70. Alex G says:

Porter is an awesome coach, he´ll do great, best wishes for both of them, let´s get ready to be a world power.

71. Louis Z says:

I hear ya but Porter won’t just have Akron players, the U23 squad will be one of the deepest we ever had, now we will get to see what he can do with that talent.

72. Louis Z says:

you may have something there. what about mixx

73. cmon says:

The NCAA doesn’t care about soccer. You don’t even have to sit out a year when you transfer.

74. ACS says:

I said from the beginning it would be either Kreis or Porter, so good pick by Klinsmann

75. b hoff says:

He can take credit for naming him a coach.

76. JHskiAKsoccer says:

I totally agree I think we all see the trend that Akron is becoming a new soccer frontier in the US :)

77. biff says:

GW…thank God you are on this site. You know what you are talking about. Keep em coming GW.

Another coach that beats those criteria by many years is Andre Villas-Boas, who at the tender age of 34 already is one of the top coaches in the world. At this point I am trusting that Klinsmann has the expertise to assemble a top-notch staff. If this is proved down the line not to be the case, I still believe we are moving in the right direction.

Does anyone know where the camp is going to be in Germany? Amazing and exciting. This will be a major news event in Germany, Klinsmann bringing the USA teams to train in Germany, with the senior team hopping over first to Paris for a game and then back to Germany for a couple more days training before the trip to Slovenia. Wow.

78. Angel FAN of USA says:

Louis that why I wrote etc. imagine if I start putting every guy that plays in Europe that are under 23, and some playing in MLS or Mexico. I will it would be a long list. You know that MIXX in on my list. I just hope that we can find a coach that can bring the best of this youngster, very exciting and can wait for the Pre-Olympics qualifying. I just want them to start playing some friendly and find out who will be on the roster. By the way does anyone know why The USA is not playing the PAN AMERICAN in Mexico.? That would of been a nice place for the U22 to show their talent.

79. Angel FAN of USA says:

I know I just put some name out there, plus like I said on a previous comment is a long list of young players playing in different leagues in Europe. and when I said “Hmmm I wonder why they are training in Germany” it was just been Sarcastic, I know is close to France and Slovania. Plus like you said too, Facility, Climate, the connection and players will feel comfortable. That’s all. I’m glad he is taking the training Camp to Germany and glad that he pick a young coach for the kids U23.

80. FattyMatty says:

What a stupid comment. By your logic, Caleb Porter would have been a better selection than JK. I like Porter and believe he has a bright future. But, has Porter ever coached in a WC or let alone played in one? Has Porter ever played for some of the top club teams in the world all the while being exposed to top coaching.

Although, Porter may have more “day-to-Day and month-to-month coaching experience, I would argue that JK’s exposure and first-hand experience to coaching at the highest levels surely trumps your quantity arguement.

81. FattyMatty says:

Should read “argument”.

82. Answer says:

No he can’t. He didn’t make the decision. You are living in a fantasy world if you think that he did.

83. GW says:

What makes you say that?