Report: Egypt selects Bradley

Bradley

Bob Bradley's lengthy courtship with the Egyptian national team appears to be reaching it's conclusion, and reports suggest an agreement between the two sides is imminent.

According to reports from Egypt, Bradley will sign a deal to take over as the country's national team coach early next week. Nothing has been signed as of yet, and Bradley roaming the Egyptian sideline is still pending a completed contract.

Bradley, who was let go after five years as U.S. national team coach in early August, was on a short list of candidates for the Egypt job that included Milovan Rajevac, Francisco Maturana and Zoran Filipovic.

Assuming a completed deal, Bradley will be tasked with getting Egypt to the 2014 World Cup, something the country has only done twice ever, with the last time being in 1990. Egypt has already been eliminated from qualifying for the 2012 African Cup of Nations, meaning that all focus is on the next World Cup.

What do you think about this development? Will you be rooting for Egypt? Excited at the prospect of Bradley coaching a non-United States national team?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to Report: Egypt selects Bradley

1. Brian says:

USA vs. Egypt – First group match WC 2014

2. Jamie Z. says:

So how do we think Michael Bradley will fit into the Egypt midfield?

3. steveone says:

i’m just wondering if zack abdel had any influence, and if he’s taking zack with him.

4. Tony in Quakeland says:

Obviously his success will help raise the profile of US soccer, so I’ll be rooting for him…unless he plays us in the WC.

But I wondered if the unrest in Egypt was causing second thoughts. I bet there were some interesting security measure built into the arrangements

5. liz says:

Good for him, and I wish him all the best.

6. Adrian says:

Winning.

7. A quality coach, a quality person and someone who is well liked and respected by the players he coaches. Thousands of far-inferior soccer minds here and around the country have done nothing but hammer him, ignoring the fact that he has forgotten more about the game than any of you have ever known. Egypt now has a coach with a resume far superior to that of the United States.

8. spencer says:

won’t root for Egypt, but we need him to be successful if we want coaches from here to be considered for overseas jobs.

9. RK says:

Sounds like a pyramid scheme.

10. Dennis says:

+1000

11. Dinho says:

Kinda hot in Egypt to be wearing sweats….

12. abc says:

Congrats to Bob Bradley, I will be rooting for him to have success against every team but the US. As someone said above, a quality coach and a quality person.

13. Adam M. says:

Johnathan Bornstein, citing the little-known “Exodus” exception to FIFA’s national team rules, will be suiting up as left back for Egypt. “Moses once said ‘Let people go,'” said Bornstein, “but Coach Bradley has asked me to come back. My father’s fathers were once slaves in Egypt, but now I am free to roam as far up as the left side of the midfield.” Bradley was happy with Bornstein’s decision to return. “What can I say, this decision has plauged me, but I couldn’t passover him,” said Bradley. “I just hope he crosses as well as Moses.”

14. abc says:

You’re not that pharaoh-ff.

Ugh that was terrible…

15. T says:

I don’t wish him the best at all he was a terrible tactican and relied on the same scrubs without an end in sight. He can now piss away results in Africa…. but wait!! I doubt the Egyptian FA would allow him to stay that long! Again, defensive punk soccer is worthless I’d rather go toe-to-toe with my opponent then huddle in a shell like Bruce Arena (another dumb fnr. USA coach) and allow a team to control possesion until they find a way to score see Morelia the other night and Brazil Confed cup 09′. Personally, he should go manage the Red Balls or something that idiot Buck doen’t even know what he’s doing along with Solar.

16. francois says:

Happy for Bob. Hope hey has some success, unless they play us haha

17. T says:

Ponzi scheme?

18. PetedeLA says:

Okay Mrs. Bradley, nicely put. (You can buy that handbag you had your eye on.)

But seriously, I will wish him well against all teams but the US.

19. Dinho says:

wow…enough Passover references there to last a lifetime. well played.

20. T says:

+1.5 he was a good person but as a coach, he’s equivalent to doofy from Scary Movie when it comes to in game decisions and tactics. He shoul’ve started off as a assistant in Europe or read soccer for “dumbies”.

21. Dinho says:

tell us how you really feel?

22. T says:

Bob also said ” Bornstein has the ability to part a sea of defenders, just as good or better than Moses parting the Red Sea.”

23. Eric says:

So… unreasonably and illogically bitter about something?

24. T says:

I really feel that he is a good coach, I was puling your leg : -).

25. You pretty obviously don’t have any idea what you are talking about. That’s too bad. You are clearly amongst the world-class idiots I was referring to.

26. OmarVizquel says:

I’m imagining a WC 2014 group that could include Germany, USA, Egypt, and some Bora-coached team (hehe)…

27. T says:

Rather have Xavi, is it possible? Perhaps.

28. T says:

Respect my opinion communist, Klinsmann is better for the program overall h’s “played” the game and coached and once the players GET OUT of Bob Bradley mode, we will be challengers to Mexico.

29. abc says:

Eh, no one cares about Bora: Italy / Serbia, for Rossi / Subotic.

30. T says:

No, I don’t live in fantasy I will wait until 2014 and witness what the real group will be. Bora is done coaching as far as I’m concerned, being of German descent die manschafft should be a favorite.

31. OmarVizquel says:

Lighten up, Francis.

32. Goalscorer24 says:

I wish him good luck. Hopefully he can help the profile of US soccer coaches.

33. dgh says:

It’s Dummies…

34. TomG says:

Just so all the Egyptian haters can get up to speed, how do you say, “Fire Bradley” in Egyptian Arabic?

35. Missoula says:

Don’t be in de-Nile about this opportunity.

36. jb says:

How interesting would a 2012 USA v Egypt friendly be…

37. Ricky B. Free says:

You are clearly one of those fools that think that to play bunkerball takes a lot of tactics.

Bradley is a decent coach but to say someone is an idiot because they dont think Bradley is a world class coach is just ignorant.

I for one think he is a decent coach and a great person, but he is not the great when it comes to changing tactics whithout having to sub players in and out of the game.

38. DingDong says:

!!!مدرب السراويل الرياضية

39. jjraines says:

Congrats, stay safe and succeed.

40. soccerhorn says:

Bam.

41. soccerhorn says:

Bam!

42. camjam says:

Look at the Big Brain on DINGDONG!

43. Paula says:

This is actually pretty cool.

Bobbo’s going to be a de facto American ambassador to Egypt(sorta, kinda, maybe). I hope he does well, except when playing the USA, of course.

But I was kind of hoping to see him tested in the Cup of Nations. Specifically, I want an American to beat the Ghana NT at some point in my frakking life.

44. Second City says:

Obviously the real question: Does Johnathan Bornstien appeal to FIFA for an exception to switch nationalities?

Additionally, if the entire (former) nation signs said appeal will FIFA be more inclined to accept?

45. SuperChivo says:

Sadly true. Egypt will bang out the results with Bob. It may not be pretty, but it will be effective.

46. Second City says:

Excuse, better resume?

47. Second City says:

Dri-Fit my friend, dri-fit.

48. fischy says:

To call someone a fool because he thinks Bradley is a good, smart coach is just ignorant.

49. qwerty says:

Stop talking, T. You’re breath (and attempt at humor) sphinx.

50. jmadsen says:

+1000

51. GW says:

“but he is not the great when it comes to changing tactics whithout having to sub players in and out of the game.”

That is an interesting way to put it. How many current managers can you name who change their tactics without subbing in players?

52. BigProfMan says:

Lawrence of Arabia part II. I could see him w/a bedouin turban leading the egyptian masses.

53. GW says:

Regardless of what you all think about BB’s tenure here, if he does well it will be a watershed moment for US managers and will send a very positive signal aboutthe state of the game here.

If he crashes and burns then, oh well….

54. Joe says:

I wish him all the best with Egypt. It will be quite the change for him and the squad if he tries to adjust their players to his tactics with the US. I think we’ll truly get an idea of how tactically adept he is if he can break out of his typical 4-4-2.

55. Bryan says:

I’ve always wondered how things like this work regarding language barriers.

56. BostonTim says:

57. BF says:

lol…was that “tongue and cheek”?

58. Mark says:

I hope this report is true. Congrats to Coach Bradley…

59. BF says:

my 14 year old has more tactical awareness than many of the current starters, Bradley is clearly to blame for that. I kinda feel sorry for him because he doesn’t know any better.

60. predicto says:

Salam Alikum wah Marharba Coach BB. Cultural clash coming for Egypt team. I hope BB sticks to his discipline and roots, because if he’s too culturally sensitive, he’ll fall prey to Insh Allah.

61. vasco says:

quality guy.

hope he does well.

no egypt won’t make world cup

62. Joamiq says:

You sound like a 14 year old, and yet your use of “communist” as a perjorative suggests that you are from the ’50s. Curious. Anyway, your stupidity has provided me with much amusement, so thanks

63. Joamiq says:

You are amazing. Where can I buy one of you to keep in a cage to make me laugh?

64. GSScasual says:

I bet there wasnt…. What a stereotypical american thing to say…

65. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Let’s just say the canceled USA vs Egypt game will likely be re-scheduled.

And congrats to Bob Bradley, a coach who has not received the credit he deserves from many fans. Maybe not the media darling some wanted, but a coach who left the program better than he left it. No doubt we will look back at the Bradley era and think of his reign as a positive one.

66. Soccer Guy says:

Is that you Bob?

That’s the only way I can see someone seriously making a post like yours.

What planet are you from? Bob Bradley has never been a good coach and never will be. His only claim to fame at all is his period with Chicago which even Bob admits was more attributable to Peter Nowak than anyone else.

67. golfwang says:

SWAG

68. beachbum says:

disagree. 4 Finals in 5 tournaments played during his tenure. The one without the final was the WC, where his USMNT won their group for the first time in 60 years or whatever, and did so by winning its last group stage game Ever in WC play AND by overcoming 2 honest goals disallowed in that group.

the Algeria game is an all-time USMNT classic, an dhis team beat Spain when they were on that ridiculously sick winning streak

cheers

69. beachbum says:

see Morelia last night and their awesome strategy of conceding, at home, the winning goal to the Galaxy in extra time, and then having it disallowed…that is effective, no doubts there

70. gigi says:

But can he walk like an egyption

71. A-Lott says:

Didn’t Egypt hear? No one wants Bob Bradley. A said so, and he lived in Germany. Hard to top that kind of expertise.

Seriously, though, best wishes to Bob.

72. jlm says:

I don’t know. Maybe the opposite is true. Egypt could have hired him because Americans are seen as wanna be peacemakers.

Aside from that, his structured/rigid/disciplined style could be seen as something that an underachieving qualifying team needs.

73. biff says:

Let’s not forget that just over a week ago the story was that Bob Bradley was taking over the head coaching job at Santos Laguna in Mexico. As for the Egypt job, BB has not yet signed a contract. Quite frankly, although I think BB is capable of coaching the Egyptian team, I am going to be very surprised if he ends up with the job. From the very beginning there have been too many rumors and news stories about his taking the the Egypt job. Usually when these things are on track they aren’t announced until a deal is sealed. All that said, who knows, maybe BB will end up with the job and next year the USMNT will be playing a friendly against Bob Bradley and Egypt. Man, would that be a game to see…

74. Capt. Ob(liv)ious says:

Subtlety: You no has it.

75. PD says:

I believe he’s not even welcome there…

76. PD says:

Congrats to BB. it will be very interesting to see what he brings to that program. From a confederation standpoint, Egypt and the USA have some similarities–Egypt has some naturally talented players and a history of strength in their FIFA confederation. Creating a cohesive unit out of them might allow them to make some waves. It will be interesting so see what kind of results he gets and what kind of quality he brings out of these players.

It will also be interesting to see if we get a peak inside how the federation works (youth development and how that is coordinated with the senior team etc.) might give folks like us some interesting connect into our own way of doing things.

77. PD says:

sorry context not connect

78. biff says:

A fresh story out today quotes Egypt’s Football Association Chairman Samir Zaher as saying BB has the job. “Bradley was the most flexible in his demands and has a vision and a good strategy to lead Egypt until the 2014 World Cup in Brazil,” Zaher is quoted as saying. “His monthly salary will be $35,000, we think this is fair.”

According to my calculations that is $420,000 a year. Would BB really accept that salary? Does anyone know what BB was earning at USMNT coach? Here is the link to the news story:

Egypt FA chairman: America’s Bradley is the Pharaohs’ next coach

link to english.ahram.org.eg

79. Dennis says:

It is not at the national team level that players should be learning tactics. About 95% of tactics are small group tactics and those better be learned at the club level, the remaining 5% are at the team level and those can and do change with the team. If the starters do not have tactical awareness, it is not the national team coach’s fault, except, perhaps in selecting those players. (Given the US talent pool who else would you call? Been over that, Klinsmann did not call in a single new player other than Hamid.)

Most of the tactical errors the US made were not at the team level, in fact for most of the important games, conservative tactics are what nearly all coaches employ, Bradley was no different. Against more talented teams, those conservative tactics are well-warranted.

80. Smacking says:

I seem to remember his US salary around 650k but I don’t know if that was the original or post cup…. Speaking of does the US continue to that contract out?

Regardless, I think he’s going to a team that he can succeed with big he gets them to Brazil, he’ll have a good reputation

81. Francois says:

What are you talking about? It’s Francois, and T isn’t me.

82. hogatroge says:

Yet Bradley is the most successful US coach in history and has played a tougher schedule than any of his predecessors. hmmn…

83. hogatroge says:

Clearly one of the best teams in Africa disagrees with you.

84. hogatroge says:

That post is just waiting for a Freudian slip.

85. hogatroge says:

Well, seeing as the US-Egypt friendly was cancelled earlier this year, rescheduling it is probably not out of the question.

86. hogatroge says:

Um… $420,000/yr is nothing to shake a stick at.

87. ThaDeuce says:

especially when currently unemployed and the previous experience is training young men to run fast and kick a ball… Good on Bobo! We should all be so lucky. also, pretty sure that is way closer to his previous salary than mls would get. furthermore, usmnt still pays till contract is up, so i heard. wanna be a, balla?

88. ThaDeuce says:

congrats to bobo! goodluck! yes I’ll be cheering egypt second. hope they do well, and we don’t hear anymore crud talk from him about about his former employer. would be fun, and very intense, if we meet up in the future.

now, is this the first us coach to get another nation’s international headcoach gig?

break out the champagne!!! usa! usa! usa!

i hope he does well and continues to positively rep us soccer

89. Johnny2 says:

Quality Coach, quality person….Good Luck Bradley!