Soccer Wednesday: Your Running Commentary

MLS_Primary_COL

The first all-MLS battle of the 2011-2012 CONCACAF Champions League takes place at BMO Field, as FC Dallas and Toronto FC do battle for first place in Group C (8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel/Galavision).

Both teams won their group openers, with Dallas becoming the first MLS team to win on Mexican soil by beating Pumas UNAM and Toronto winning in Panama with a 1-0 decision over Tauro. In another CCL match on Wednesday, Santos Laguna faces Isidro Metapan (10 p.m., Galavision) in a matchup of Group B teams who are currently trailing the Colorado Rapids.

Portland and Chivas USA are in action in league play as well, as the two teams on the perimeter of the playoff picture duke it out for table positioning in a crucial match (11 p.m., MLS Direct Kick/MatchDay Live).

If you will be watching any of Wednesday night's games, please feel free to share any thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below. Enjoy the action.

This entry was posted in CONCACAF Champions League, MLS- Chivas USA, MLS- FC Dallas, MLS- Portland Timbers, MLS- Toronto FC, Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Soccer Wednesday: Your Running Commentary

1. Topher says:

Wow. Nobody interested on SBI?

Nice goal by Jackson (not sure if he really planned for that hit to be as good as it was) after a beautiful cross by Jair.

Now were under weather delay, right before halftime. The commentator said there is a risk of a tornado earlier in the match, so I suspect that is the reason. He speculated that it was the reason people were not in the seats.

Does anyone know if the game would be replayed or if they would just call it if conditions don’t improve?

2. Eric says:

Not sure. I think it has to be replayed since they didn’t even get to halftime.

3. A says:

Okay, so all I have is Galavision and I can barely understand the announcers.

Thunder storm delay is the last thing I understood, anyone know?

4. JZ says:

If the game is abandoned then it’s replayed from 0-0, as per tournament rules. The current delay is for half an hour. Presumably they’ll reevaluate the weather situation after that time.

5. Pablo Ricchetti says:

They played the end of the first half, and now they’re into the second weather delay. Dallas has had 3 of them this year.

6. RB says:

The CONCACAF site live console says possession has been 65-35 in favor of TFC. Is that accurate?

7. RB says:

Nevermind: as soon as I posted that and went back, they changed it to 55-45 for Dallas.

8. Pablo Ricchetti says:

Looks like they’re evacuating the stadium.

9. Danimal says:

Really looking forward to the Portland-Chivas match tonight. With the playoff implications, it should be a great one!

10. RB says:

No offense to our brothers down El Salvador way. God knows they’ve had plenty of hard times to go through. But frankly that is one rather sad-looking facility Metapán has there.

I will say I like the Wrigley Field-style overlook properties behind the one goal, though. :-)

11. RB says:

And Metapán takes the lead just before the half! Apparently Santos is also playing only a young/reserve type of line-up tonight (if the Galavision announcers are to be believed, anyway).

12. RB says:

Well not according to the Galavision announcers. They just said that since the 1st half was completed, it is up to CONCACAF to decide if they either juat call it a game (and thus a win for Dallas) or they meet up again to play a 2nd half, at some point. For what it’s worth.

13. MemRook says:

How long until most or all of MLS games are nationally televised? I know it’s the most popular sport, but it’s definitely more popular than strong man competitions, little league baseball, softball, fishing, drag racing and whatever random stuff espn shows. Plus there are tons of other channels capable showing mls games. I know it all comes down to tv rights and whatnot, but I hope and pray for the day when the demands for mls is enough that any game can be seen on a given channel without having to pay extra for it!

14. MemRook says:

I know it’s *NOT* the most popular sport….

15. Edwin in LA says:

And with their very crappy field Metapan has made it 2-0. Man can Metapan/Real España and Colorado place up at the top 2 spots in their group to eliminate Santos?

Morelia looks poised to lose out to Alajuelense and Galaxy, Monterrey might be in trouble now that they lost at home.

Could it be just 2 Mexican teams making it thru to the quarters?

16. JCC says:

Looks like the El Salvadorean league is closing the gap… Oh sorry, I forgot that comment is only reserved for MLS teams.

17. JCC says:

I don’t buy into the crappy field excuse. Metapan has looked good. The Mexican teams for the most part this year look pretty bad actually, which is surprising.

18. LuddoNadd says:

TFC – Dallas match called due to weather, replay of the match at 10:15am Thursday.

19. Edwin in LA says:

It was more meant as to say that you can think what you want of their field, they’re getting a result, and a dominating if you ask me?

Agree they’ve looked good. I’m having to go back and forth between that game and the Chivas USA vs Portland game.

Pretty insnane how in Portland they can get 18K in any day, they actually are holding back, they have about 2K more seats in there, I heard they are going to start opening up more seats for it

20. emerald_city_jason says:

Well, seeing as none of the four more popular sports leagues have that kind of deal, I think the answer is…not for a long, long, time.

21. emerald_city_jason says:

Even as a Sounders fan, I hope Portland holds on tonight and lands themselves a playoff spot. It’s good for the league when that kind of fan base is rewarded (unlike, say, those sad souls in Toronto). I’d also much rather potential fans flip by a playoff game hosted by Portland than one hosted by CUSA.

22. MemRook says:

I think NFL just had a deal with directTv where you xan see all the games for free…..I think. That’s a step in the right direction. Hopefully
    mls can get something like that soon. Mlsnet.com used to show all mls gAmes for FREE as recent as 2006-2007.