Klinsmann discusses some plans for USMNT future

JurgenKlinsmann830 (ISIPhotos.com)

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

By ADAM SERRANO

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. –- Always his analytic yet positive self, Jurgen Klinsmann spoke to a group of reporters during a group interview in Los Angeles and outlined his plans for the U.S. national team.

With one eye on the upcoming matches against Costa Rica on Friday and Belgium and another on the future, Klinsmann gave his impressions on his first few weeks as U.S. national team coach. Klinsmann touched on a number of topics, including his staff and the future of a team that is very much in a period of transition.

Central to his plans is naming a first assistant and Klinsmann revealed that his choice will be former Chivas USA head coach Martin Vasquez. The USMNT coach described Vasquez as someone who will play a role similar to the role Joachim Loew played for Klinsmann during his time at the helm of the German national team.

Vasquez is not yet under contract with U.S. Soccer, but a team official states that discussions are pending. Vasquez will simply be Klinsmann's first assistant on an interim basis until a contract is finalized, with Klinsmann also revealing that there will be full-time head coaches hired to handle the Olympic and Under-20 sides.

"Martin Vasquez will play that (first assistant) role for me, he's got an exceptional amount of talent and qualities that are perfectly suited for his role here," said Klinsmann. "He knows the American landscape inside out and is connected well within the Mexican market, he has knowledge of coaching teams on and off the field."

During his brief tenure as the head of the U.S. national team, Klinsmann's focus has centered around youth development and making sure that the United States can remain competitive on the youth and senior levels. Klinsmann believes it is important for potential young national team players like Josh Gatt and Joe Corona to start their tenure at the U-20 or U-23 level, an area that Klinsmann insists will be an important feeder group for the national team.

"If I bring in a guy just because it’s reported to me that he’s a very talented kid, but maybe I don’t have the whole picture, that won’t be good for anyone," Klinsmann said. "Then you shoot where they are to suddenly high media attention and something that they can’t fulfill.”

Although Klinsmann is focused on the future of the national team, he admits that he is interested in reaching out to former U.S. head coach Bob Bradley. Klinsmann said he has a tremendous respect for Bradley, and during a recent conversation with Michael Bradley said that he'd like "to sit down with Bob and pick his brain and have a soccer talk.”

Although Klinsmann wants to make a connection to the past, he's focused on the future, which includes bringing a more "open minded approach" to the team. This even extends to the fan as Klinsmann would like when possible, to hold open training sessions for his supporters, a practice that will start this Wednesday. One thing about Klinsmann is undeniable, he's certainly enjoying the experience.

“I’m going to enjoy this job very much,” said the smiling Klinsmann. “I really enjoy every second of it already.”

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

114 Responses to Klinsmann discusses some plans for USMNT future

1. Sportzfrk says:

More and more each day I’m confident that Klinsmann was the right hire. Vasquez will be a great assistant. He’s not Loew, but like Klinsmann said, he knows the Mexican market well and that’s one of the places we have to go to get good talent.

Definitely feel the Olympics next summer will be very important to our development and where the future of the USMNT is heading.

2. UCanStudyBuzzed says:

Stoked for the future! Get us there Klinsi!

3. tielor2d says:

Interesting that he specifically mentions Corona … I wonder how much communication the two have had.

4. berto says:

Thats the difference in this coach. Excited about his players, country, and his job. His charisma is infectious…. Look at the barca game vs villlareal. Who was having a good ole time? Thats reflective of their coach (and that their league is weak)

Bring on the good times!

5. Artie says:

Is it normal to hire someone else to coach the Olympic team rather than the head coach doing it himself? Thanks for helping me out in my ignorance.

6. Thomas says:

I want to be optimistic, but wasn’t the Klinsmann/Vasquez 1-2 punch the same that failed so spectacularly at Bayern Munich?

7. Sabo CM says:

I’m still not sure if Klinsi is the right choice, but he at least exudes confidence, intelligence, awareness of everything the job demands, and a general joy of being in a job most US soccer fans would kill for. I need results first before I make my final decision, but his general vibe is a welcomed change from Bob Bradley’s regime.

Now if changes like this could be made to FIFA…

8. UCanStudyBuzzed says:

the young rising stars on the ’14 squad I bet will be Bill Hamid, Josh Gatt, Joe Gyau, Mix, Juan Agudelo and Brek Shea (maybe Sebastian Lletget? and NOT TIME REAM!). Then we’ll have MB (remember he’s only 23!), Holden, Altidore, Chandler, and now Johnson being our core role players.

I think the most interesting part of getting ready for ’14 is how/when Klinsi decides to faze out some of the rear guard go let the young guys really gel together. Donovan will be 32 and Dempsey 31 in ’14, they will both absolutely be on the squads but I wonder what their roles will be. Dempsey’s such a tenacious player I bet he’ll still be starting, but I’m not so sure about Donovan. Bocanegra, Goodson, Howard, and Cherundolo (bless his ageless heart) will all have to be fazed out in the next year or so.

Klins’s first confounding decision for me is Jeff Lewrentefirecrotch who is already 28 and who stunk up the pitch so bad in that Chile friendly. Why is he there? Leadership? Give somebody else like Zusi a chance instead.

9. L Profe says:

Vasquez is unquestionably a unique coach. He is better suited as a no. 2. He was horrible as a head coach. Just plain horrible.

10. DeLarge says:

It’s a breath of fresh air not having someone stubborn at the helm like Arena and Bradley. However…

I wonder how the sit down between BB and JK will go. “Hey Bob, so um, how can I do your job better?”

11. UCanStudyBuzzed says:

I don’t understand when people say he “failed so spectacularly” at Byarn Munich… I don’t think that’s a fair assessment.

12. Timothy says:

“Klinsmann’s focus has centered around youth development” I want to see how. Klinsmann talks much about youth development, but I really want to see action/what he does. Will he just talk about it and let Claudio Reyna do his thing or will he take a bigger role?

13. Second City says:

Amen.

“Klinsmann admits that he is having fun in his new role with the national team and is already looking forward to the future.

Bob was an honorable manager and stoic his philosophy but turning a 180 in that delivery has got to be refreshing to the players.

14. Caleb says:

Tim is in his early 30′s, he still has another WC in him.

15. JustinV says:

It’s hardly fair to say he failed spectacularly at Bayern, they were three points out of first when he was fired (with 5 games remaining). And he had taken them to the quarters of the CL only to be knocked out by eventual champ Barca. The failure had more to do with his relationship with the Bayern Board than with his team’s performance on the field. Probably has a lot to do with why he wanted so much control off the field with USSF.

16. Second City says:

While I understand your pessimism, I think “results” in the short-term is irrelevant.

Our focus should be the development and direction, heading towards 2014. Results in the near future aren’t necessarily tied together with that goal.

17. UCanStudyBuzzed says:

he’ll be 36 and didn’t exactly have a superb World Cup the last go-around…

18. Second City says:

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Donovan/Dempsey role.

Dempsey’s tenacity and pension for scoring will likely see his transition to the forward position become a permanent one.

Donovan, while one of/if not the most talented player in our pool, has always shown a passive nature to his game. Not necessarily something that aides an aging player in terms of mentality & drive.

Love them both, but the window certainly is closing…

19. Second City says:

Bob is such an honorable and stand up man, that I actually believe if asked, “Hey Bob, so um, how can I do your job better?” he would answer with sincerity.

I’ve never been a fan of Bradley’s tactics but I would have loved to play for a manager like that.

20. UCanStudyBuzzed says:

It’ll come down to how much Klinsi can force/prod Don Garber’s hand. The future of youth development in this country are the MLS academies. Success for me means an MLS academy in every major city in the US who all conform to a similar playing style/system like was made in Germany. When that happens the US will be a soccer powerhouse and MLS will be one of the best leagues around.

21. ACS says:

Managing Bayern Munich and managing a NT are two very different beast. Joachim Loew wasn’t exactly a successful manager before his work on the national team.

22. UCanStudyBuzzed says:

Agreed…the guy reminds me of my own father.

23. jayrig5 says:

I’d disagree with your assessment of his play in the World Cup. How many of the goals should he have saved? I feel like some US fans expectations for Howard rise to astronomical levels when we watch him play games like he had against Argentina in 2008, Spain in 2009, and Argentina again this spring…I mean, I just went back through all the goals he gave up in the World Cup, and I don’t think you could call any of them his fault. And he did keep the team in a few of those games with great saves, including the England match, which ended up saving the US, really. And he did it while injured, and he played the rest of the Cup while injured.

And 36 isn’t anywhere close to old for a GK.

24. AV_13 says:

You guys are rational and make sense, I don’t think this place is ready for it. (No sarcasm)

25. abc says:

Both happen, one is no more normal than the other.
    Last time (08) our Olympic team had a different coach, this time it was rumored that Bradley wanted to do it himself.

26. Brian says:

He was mediocre. Pretty good against England. Crap against Slovenia. Good against Algeria and crap against Ghana.

Getting beaten near post against KPB during the Ghana game? Definitely at least part his fault.

27. abc says:

Plenty of other youngsters who could play big roles three years from now: Luis Gil, Brooks, Wood, etc. etc.

28. UCanStudyBuzzed says:

Both goals in the Ghana game were save-able. On the second goal he shouldn’t have come so far off his line but it was a really good finish by Gyan, but the first goal, you really have to admit it, was horrible positioning on Howard.

We should have won that game.

29. Jeremy says:

As many reports have said, it wasn’t the results at Bayern that got Klinsmann fired it was clashes with the board of directors. Some coaches are better suited as club coaches and some are better suited for NT’s.

30. abc says:

Yeah, Bradley is brutally honest with actual players (as opposed to the media, where he tries to say as little as possible), he always tells it like it is. See quotes from Donovan regarding their relationship and communication.

31. UCanStudyBuzzed says:

Ya I forgot to mention Gil, I really am stoked on the kid I think he’s at a great place at RSL under Kreis and is playing well. Who’s Brooks?

32. Tim M. says:

I like how he mentions joe corona specifically as an example. It seems like a low-profile response to everyone who clamors that we cap the next talented up and comer just for the sake of cap tying them.

Being that Jurgen has only been manager for a couple of months and we’ll have no meaningful games until qualifiers, there isn’t too much to judge him on. He handles himself well publicly and the players seem to like him, so he has my confidence.

I don’t know how people come up with a billion ways to disapprove of someone so quickly. Maybe hold your tongues and spare us the bs?

33. Jeremy says:

I would also like to see the academy system grow in this country. For real youth development it needs to be system within MLS that each club has an academy that starts around U9′s or U10′s. Develop an academy league for the U18′s like the Premier Academy League in England. Also it should not be a pay to play system. I think that in the past a lot of talent has fallen through the cracks due to economic factors with not being able to pay costs of being on a youth travel team.

34. MJC-DC says:

I think it is a 180 as far as a media personality. That said I don’t think we can comment on Bob’s delivery to the players. I have had multiple coaches over the years that are much more candid around the players and their assistants then they are when talking to parents and those outside of the team.

35. Knowles says:

I put this forward a few months ago and people acted like I was crazy, but it would be interesting to see Donovan in a LB role if that position continues to trouble us by 2014. I think there are some promising options for possibly inverting a RB like Chandler or Lichaj, so it will probably be moot, but I think Donovan would stand a better chance of learning it as opposed to Beasley.

36. Knowles says:

And by the way, how about this lineup in 2014 (for idle minds)?

Forwards: Altidore, Dempsey in the hole
    Midefield: LM Shea, CAM-Holden, DMF-Bradley, RM-Gatt
    Defense: LB Donovan, CB Ream, CB John Anthony Brooks/Gonzalez, RB Chandler
    GK: Howard

37. biff says:

Michael Bradley brought up the same delicate topic in a Q&A interview last week with the daily Westdetusche Zeitung. The last questions to him was: What is your impression of Klinsmann (Ihr Eindruck von Klinsmann?)?

MB said: The first days with him were good, the training, everything fit together. Klinsmann was an unbelievable player, he did a great jog as coach of Germany in the WC 2006. The time at FC Bayern was not so successful — but that also is part of the soccer business.

(Bradley: Die ersten Tage mit ihm waren gut, das Training, alles hat gepasst. Klinsmann war ein unglaublicher Spieler, er hat als Trainer mit Deutschland bei der WM 2006 Unglaubliches geleistet. Die Zeit bei Bayern München war nicht ganz so erfolgreich – aber auch das gehört zu diesem Geschäft.)

I thought it was interesting that MB would bring up Klinsmann’s failed FC Bayern experience in a newspaper interview. Here is a link to the interview:

Bradley: „Es ist wohl besser, zu gehen”

link to wz-newsline.de

38. biff says:

ha-ha

39. The Dream says:

It’s really interesting to see the areas of pull that Klinsmann has. Not only does he have the ties to the German Americans, but he has clearly made getting the Mexican Americans a priority as well. In the future, this could really help to expand the talent pool of the national team.

40. hogatroge says:

Pumped for the Olympics

41. hogatroge says:

Klinsmann won’t say it so I will:

MB90 is a pretty good player, he did a great jog at Herenveen. The time at every club since has been… not so successful.

42. Will says:

I’d love to hear the your argument for Donovan at left back ha

43. paul says:

I would like to MB at left back. He’s defensive in nature and has the motor for it.

44. abc says:

This seems relevant here, AZ Alkamar coach Gertjan Verbeek is pissed off at Klinsmann:

Jürgen Klinsmann has the anger of AZ coach Gertjan Verbeek on the neck removed by Jozy Altidore anyway to call for the American team. Team USA plays next Friday in California, a friendly against Costa Rica.

“That’s eleven hours flying. And I’m not even talking about the time difference,” said Verbeek, who recently fired head coach Bob Bradley has made ​​the appointment had not recalled that Altidore would be at Voetbal International. “This is very stupid of Klinsmann. You are required anyone. It is nota bene to practice duels. I tried to stop it, but he was adamant. And Jozy is not likely to cancel itself.”

“Klinsmann has just been appointed as the successor to Bradley and is clearly just draw a line at. While still important for all parties is that Jozy will soon fit? It is pure self-interest of a man who only one year has been a club coach (Bayern Munich, red) and immediately fired. Enough said.”(Yuri van den Busken)

=========

Ouch!
    I have to side with Verbeek on this one. Klinsmann should have called up two different rosters for this friendly, US/Mex players for Costa Rica and Europeans for Belgium. That way this issue would have been avoided, plus we could have seen other players like Gonzalez, John, Diskerud, Rolfe, and Gatt. Even with one roster, Altidore should have been an exception, if exceptions have been made for Dempsey and Beckerman, given that Jozy is still coming back from injury and is with a new club where he is trying to establish himself. Hopefully this controversy doesn’t have a negative impact on Altidore’s standing for either the USMNT or AZ….

45. T says:

Dallas starts at 10 for their youth camps before the academy otherwise called the juniors. They have U-13-15 this fall.

46. Joe says:

Klinsi would then fall asleep as Bob bored him like he did all of us with his answers over the years.

47. BrianVT says:

+1, Second City.

48. BrianVT says:

+1, Second City. (you’re on a roll today! :-)

49. jmadsen says:

Agreed. I think Bob was plenty emotional in the locker room

50. Dane96 says:

While in some ways Klinsy missed an opportunity to bring in possibly two seperate squads for evaluation (and I am not sold on that train of thought), I HIGHLY DOUBT that this will have any negative impact on Altidore’s standing with AZ; The guy is on pace to have a 20 goal season for them.

51. SG says:

Klinsmann made many changes off the field that upset the bayern board. Almost Amercanized the training facility brought in yoga etc. Bayern is very difficult place to manage if the board isn’t “on board”
    Plus they didn’t really like him bringing in Donovan but he still was only 3 pts. out. Bundesliga is tough to win year after year. He did well for only 9 months running the show

52. Isaac says:

I’d say Michael has been fairly successful at BMG until recently.

53. MidWest Ref says:

While I understand the AZ coach’s comments, this is old school anti-american bias by a European coach. Perhaps that is too strong. He has an American playing well on his team, and is frustrated by a call up for friendlies, even though it is during an international call up window. I doubt he would be so openly hostile if it were a European player for a qualifier.

54. Tony in Quakeland says:

You don’t know that he bought it up. The reporter may well have asked. Also, this is the most famous German player of his generation coaching the most famous team in Germany – it would be bizzare if it didn’t get mentioned. I think it’s a real reach to think that Bradley was somehow disparaging Klinsmann here.

55. hogatroge says:

I was thinking the same thing, but… The problem is he can’t be in two different places to oversee two different camps. He also hasn’t had enough time to put together a vetted staff.

Another point… there’s less veteran leadership to head up a US/Mexico based squad. After Landon, Beckerman would be the most senior guy, and he’s going to have to miss the Costa Rica game anyway.

Blame the USSF for scheduling two matches on completely opposite sides of the world. The CR friendly should have been on the East Coast.

56. Abram says:

Maybe I’m alone, but I actually hoped that Klinsmann would manage the Olympic squad.

57. PD says:

I think MB qualified his statement pretty clearly with “but that also is part of the soccer business.” chill out pal.

58. Abram says:

I wouldn’t say he has done poorly at Borussia Mönchengladbach. He was a regular starter for awhile, then, for whatever reason, fell out of favor with the coach. Aston Villa was a disaster, but I’ll be curious to see how he does if he does land at Chievo. He’s a very good player, but has a reputation as having a bad attitude.

59. hogatroge says:

Fortunately it seems like the AZ coach is blaming Klinsmann and not Jozy.

That said, Jozy is the USA’s #1 striker. The coach has got to be kidding if he thinks he can block a call up for that kind of player.

The USSF is to blame for the travel problems anyway… they planned the camp location and scheduled the CR friendly.

60. Shane says:

I dont understand how everyone is so impressed with Klinsmann. So far his reign has been an utter mess. Call-ups keep canceling, club coaches are mad, he calls up people that arent eligible, and now Vasquez will be his assistant even though he said he would rotate different coaches to find the best combination. As far as on the pitch, the first half of the Mexico match was some of the most confused and boring soccer I have ever witnessed from the US. All of you wearing the Klinsi blinders will see what a mess this is going to be.

61. biff says:

Calling up two different rosters does not make much sense. USMNT is playing 8 p.m. Friday in LA, which Brussels time is 5 a.m. Saturday. Even if Klinsman and coaches would fly to Brussels after the game, say at midnight, they would not land in Brussels local time until near midnight Saturday. The first chance to practice with the new roster would be Sunday. And that leaves only Monday open for one more practice before the US-Belgium game on Tuesday.

A lot of national teams have two games scheduled in the same time slots, and I would be surprised if any of them have called up two separate rosters, one for each game.

Would you mind posting links when you quote something from the Internet? And are the same ABC who yesterday claimed Bob Bradley “turned down $4.5 million from Qatar.” I am very skeptical of that one. Do you have a link?

62. biff says:

Sorry, meant to ask: And *you* are the same ABC who yesterday claimed Bob Bradley “turned down $4.5 million from Qatar.” I am very skeptical of that one. Do you have a link?

63. PD says:

Yes, we should have won that game, but it didn’t happen. To say the loss was on Howard being mediocre though is ignorant of how the position is played and is a bit of an oversimplification of the result IMHO. Asamoah’s winning goal was one of the golazo’s of the tournament. A counter that was in the process of being contained by Bocanegra and an angle covered by the keeper. The striker did his job and put it where Howard wasn’t.

Secondly, if the team had made quicker business of Morocco and not had to deal having Edu’s goal called back against Slovenia the team would have been in a very differnet place against Ghana. With more gas in the tank we would have outlasted Ghana.

64. hogatroge says:

If I tell you you’re an idiot and then say “no offense,” does that make it ok? The fact is, it was somewhat tactless to bring up Klinsmann’s Bayern stint in the interview the way he did. Klinsmann’s not getting along with some crotchety old men who fund a soccer team can’t be directly equated with failure given Bayern’s record that season.

Don’t get me wrong, I think MB is a valuable part of the USMNT. Let’s not pretend, however, that he hasn’t had maturity and attitude issues in the past.

65. PD says:

I have pretty vocal about my suspicions about whether or not Klinsi is indeed “the answer” many are hyping him up to be, but I’m going to reserve judgement for awhile. He’s got some fundamental changes in store that are definitely beyond window dressing changes, that will take time to bear fruit.

One comment that certainly resonated, both in terms of what and has been done to players in the past and what maybe is happening to him as well:

“If I bring in a guy just because it’s reported to me that he’s very talented…, but maybe I don’t have the whole picture, that won’t be good for anyone,” Klinsmann said. “Then you shoot where they are to suddenly high media attention and something that they can’t fulfill.”

He certainly hit the nail on the head with this observation.

66. Rich says:

Is it just me or does the opening sentence tell us he has three eyes?

67. Rich says:

err second. Sorry something was in my third eye.

68. Brett says:

The coach wants Jozy to stay at the club. Gotta like what that entails for his future. But this is the life if an international, and Jozy is one of the young faces of the game in this country.

Calling in two different groups would have been a better idea though.

69. Eurosnob says:

A keeper can play at a high level at 36 – ManUtd got to the champions league final with a 40 year old in the goal.

70. DC Josh says:

Still not impressed. He can talk like a politician, but I will wait to see a better product on the field until I am happy with Klinsi as the USMNT coach.

71. BlueWhiteLion says:

i heard Bayern players rip both coaches, as far as their tactical coaching awareness and ability. Of course, how much of that whining was from professional cry-babies, I don’t know. And if they were weaker then, who’s to say they haven’t grown since then. Just wondering.

72. Shane says:

Everyone can hit that nail on the head. Your complementing him for basically something every other coach can and would say. This is what people do with Klinsmann. Blinders on, as I said. That being said, I did read your “reserve judgement” bit and will take it at face value.

73. pancholama says:

More appropriate for somebody like Tom Dooley, or Tab Ramos – maybe some US college soccer coach ready for the next step up.

74. Michael F. SBI Mafia Original says:

Klinsi must know Joe stated last week that we wants to play for Mexico. I’m sure this is his way of playing mind games with the Mex Federation. Love it!

75. fischy says:

The results with Bayern weren’t terrible, but were disappointing considering the talent and price of the team.

More troubling is what Phillip Lahm has just written about how the players lost confidence in his tactics and took matters in their own hands.

76. pancholama says:

During one of the “rare” on-line arguments over the pros and cons of Bob Bradley on Big Soccer, some years back – I asked one of the posters, “What do the players think of him, how do they feel about him as their coach?” The general consensus that rippled back was – “.. the players generally like him rather well.” Of course this is before the most recent rumors that he had lost the locker room because of over-playing his son, etc. – water under the bridge.

Klinsman will do a great job, and the face of our USMNT is going to change, so is the attitude, and so is the play on the field. It’s like learning a new challenging piece of music on your instrument. At first it feels all clumsy, impossible, daunting, insurmountable – but you get help, you practice slowly at half speed, you build on the basics you already know, and if you keep at it – the next thing you know you are performing the music with a bunch of other excited musicians and making beautiful music together and the audience is diggin’ it. Good things, good things are coming.

77. RB says:

If you mean we need to win a lot of matches right now, or that sort of thing, I’d agree with the previous posters. My impression though was that your “results” comment is really about tempering initial excitement with realism, and waiting to see how things actually develop, in a more general sense. In which case, I’d agree with you that people may not want to get too carried away yet, even if the choice of Klinsmann for coach does seem positive so far.

A German relative of mine commented recently that Klinsmann himself needs some early positive results for the move to end up panning out well for everyone. He suggested that then, Klinsmann would continue to be enthusiastic or even more energetic than he already is, and that would create a kind of snowball effect. But OTOH, early difficulties or lack of evident positive effect could sap his enthusiasm and energy and lead to a much less successful tenure.

78. RB says:

“if the team had made quicker business of Morocco”

Huh?

79. pancholama says:

A totally remodeled locker room and training facility, Buddha statues in the locker room, feng shuei consultant to balance the elements and the energy in the training facility (things I would be behind – I have been pulling for Bob Bradley to institute a little Phil Jackson zen for quite some time) – and I think too many people felt it was to much change too soon – he (Klinsman) is a reformer, a visionary, an advanced ET from an other planet – many aspects of pro soccer are mired in a medieval and Inquisitorial past and there is resistance to change, especially from old men with money. Look how long it is taking FIFA to get with simple technology like goal line cameras!

Now if we could only find us a US Soccer Michael Jordan, to go along US Soccer coaching “Phil Jackson / Bora Milutinovic.”
    Day by day gentlemen, one day at a time.

80. Eurosnob says:

I heard that MB fell out of favor because he tried to force a transfer to an EPL team, when his team was fighting to avoid the relegation. This was perceived as lack of loyalty and, if true, I agree with Borussia’s management.

81. Predicto says:

Nice interview link – thanks.

It would also be interesting if there is more from Philip Lahm’s book & his discussion of Klinsmann. From small excerpts I’ve read, it seems Lahm is pretty honest. Here’s the excerpt I read:

‘The experiment with Klinsmann was a failure. We were only working on our fitness in training. He didn’t care much for tactical stuff.’ he wrote. ‘It was up to the players to come together before a match and discuss how we were going to play. All the players knew after about eight weeks that it was not going to work out with Klinsmann. The remainder of that campaign was nothing but limiting the damage.’

82. Sweet T says:

Luis Gil has the ability to play on the national level eventually. He was loaned out to AC St Louis (R.I.P.) last season from RSL while he was 16, came off the bench and made big impacts, i think scored in his first game even. We on;y had him for the end part of the season, but he looked like one of the best on the pitch once he caught up. As long as he keeps progressing, nothing but good things will come.

83. Rees says:

Jesus Christ. Complete bollocks.

84. biff says:

I am not sure whether I would call it honest, except in the sense that it is Lahm’s perception, which may or may not be accurate. I am kind of negative on Lahm on these comments. He strikes me as sort of a back-stabber, basically attacking all his previous coaches, including Van Gaal. You gotta remember, Lahm is a company (FC Bayern) man, will basically do as Uli Hoeness and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge want him to do. And those two guys did not like Klinsmann, so they are therefore probably real happy with the Lahm’s negative comments.

Unlike Lahm, Marc von Bommel, who also did not like van Gaal, at least had the guts to confront van Gaal face-to-face before he was fired, while Lahm and other Bayern players were saying publicly what a great coach he was. A few days after Van Gaal was fired, Lahm and others belatedly attacked van Gaal fiercely. Von Bommel in June basically called Lahm and Co. wimps, saying they should have had the guts to speak up sooner. And now Lahm is saying what a great guy Jupp Heynckes is. I predict Jupp will be fired before the end of the season and, if so, we’ll see what song Lahm is singing then about Jupp.

85. Jamie Z. says:

He meant Algeria.

86. Shark says:

Vasquez was a huge failure at Chivas USA as the head coach last year and was fired after only one season…there are far better coaches such as Kries, Schmidt and Kinner for this job….who have shown what they can do as head coaches in MLS…

87. SaboCM says:

Sorry for not being more specific, but RB read my comments correctly. Winning a lot of friendly matches and dominating WC qualifying doesn’t prove anything. Although I do think those things are important if he wants to keep pressure off of him so he can accomplish what is really important…strong performance in ’14 and build a system that can sustain success at a higher level at the youth and senior level.

88. SaboCM says:

BTW I dont think i showed any pessimism. Ambivalence, sure. But i did say I appreciate all that he has shown so far.

89. chris says:

Need Lichaj at LB. And maybe Bedoya in the midfield. Donovan? lol.

90. Knowles says:

It’s pretty easy really. Donovan peaked as an winger at the international level in the 2010 WC, and his pace is what set him apart at that level. He’s going to be markedly slower by 2014, and if a 33-year-old Donovan is still better than Brek Shea or any number of the other promising wingers in the pool in 2014, then we’re in trouble.

But he will still be fit, have above average speed, and he has so much experience and that indefinable winning mentality that you want to get him on the field. So either you bring him on as a supersub, or you find another position for him.

Obviously the “feast” part of Donovan at LB would be the killer overlapping option he’d present on the left flank. But I don’t think he’s defense would be “famine,” and here’s why.

I’ve watched a bunch of games at the HDC, and what you notice watching him the last few years is he really has become a professional. Meaning, he works his butt off in every game, tracks back; he gives a sh*t, basically. I’ve seen him play defense, and he’s good at it, even though it’s far more advantageous for the Galaxy when he’s further up the field.

The LB experiment didn’t work with Beasley because he was always going to be too frail and he was in a major funk in his career. Donovan is tough, he’s good and he knows it, and if there is anyone who can learn that position at his age, I think it is him. He’d also provide tremendous character and on-field leadership out there.

Finally, I wish people would get out of the mentality that Donovan is somehow a superstar on the world stage and that his place in the USMNT starting lineup is sacred.

He’s the greatest US player ever, but Donovan at his peak was an above-average player on the world stage. He never would have cracked Spain’s or Brazil’s NT, and likely not England’s either. If you aspire for the USMNT to get further than the second round of the WC, then you can’t place Donovan on a Messi-like pedestal and expect him (with non-superstar talent) to carry the team that far. You just can’t

91. Taylor says:

i agree that Klinsi definitely loves this job, but you’re wrong in that this is that much of a change. Bob may have been stonewall to the media, but there’s no doubt he loved his job, and took it very, very seriously. he worked harder than any national coach i’ve ever seen. Fabio Capello only has to take the train around England to see his talent pool, Bob spent his off time travelling the whole world to scout new talent. don’t doubt his commitment and love for his job

92. tim says:

Anything including Ream and not George John has got to be wrong at this point in time.

93. bryan says:

la liga is not weak. barca and madrid are just on another level that makes everyone seem weak.

94. Goalscorer24 says:

There is no time in between the two games to practice with a whole new squad.

95. Glad to see JK is willing to have an open practice. I’d really like to know how many people attend. Years ago when they USNMT was working our prior to the 2002 World Cup Qualifying, my son and I went down the the US Olympic traning center where they were working out. There were less than a dozen people there watching.

96. Angel FAN of USA says:

I don’t see anything bad about this, Klismann wanted to enjoy the game, I hate when player complaint about the way coaches are. Walcott just complaint about Capello been very hard and very strict but know he said Capello had change and talk to player and he is more mellow. I think these players are professional and they should know how to play in the field and do what they know best and that is play futbol. Klismann was doing a Phil Jackson approached let them play. Maybe Lahm never had a coach like that before. Remember this Coach (Klismann) has become Americanized and he want to coach like an American coach does and his mentor are (Phil Jackson, Bill Billachek, and the Duke Coach.) I see Arena do the same thing with the Galaxy, he just let them play.

97. abc says:

1. People are focusing on the two roster thing when making an exception for Altidore because he’s coming back from injury and recently joined a new team is another possibility (see Beckerman, Dempsey, etc.).

2. Bob Bradley $4.5m Qatar link:
    link to korabia.com

98. HS57674 says:

Nice to see all the fans keeping their feet on the ground and their minds focused. This IMO is disturbing to hear. As the USMNT head coach, I would think that his main objective is to win matches. This is just a nice way of saying we (America) don’t have the talent to win and if we all lower our collective goals and objecties, he will be there to surpass them. In the end I wish JK all success as he is leading our boys (hopefully to victory).

99. Paul says:

Lahm’s comments are a pretty basic summary of the perception of Klinsmann in Germany and particularly at Bayern. He’s considered an innovator and motivator, but tactically inept. Find an example of something Lahm has said in the book that has been disputed by other Bayern players or even German National team ones.

He made several key mistakes at Bayern. He deployed an attacking squad that left Lucio and DeMichelis isolated in the back and never compensated tactically or personnel wise. He made no personnel improvements to a squad that badly needed some with the exception of Donovoan. While Landon’s a very good player he has a poor rep in Germany and Klinsi bringing only him in and then talking him up isolated him from his teammates and all but assured his failure in Bayern.

As far as Lahm being a “company man”, that doesn’t really jive with his criticisms of the boards transfer policy that got him into hot water with Rummenigge, let alone the publishing of the book in the first place, a headache Bayern could probably do with out.

100. biff says:

thanks for the link. the translation is pretty bad, not sure that the $4.5 million means for bob bradley. Quite frankly, the US soccer press should do a better job of finding out what ol’ Bob is up to.

101. ozotkd says:

Agreed, lol I love it

102. abc says:

It does, there are other articles about it as well. Why would you be surprised, it’s Qatar, they have nearly unlimited money (see their WC bid). But Bradley isn’t looking to just get paid, managing a crappy national team with no hope wouldn’t improve his resume. The pay in Egypt might be 1/5, but the job possibilities post-Egypt are far far better than post-Qatar.

The US soccer press is really nowhere to be seen on so many stories, it’s quite sad.

103. ThaDeuce says:

i like all the moving and shaking that klinsi brings. i’m excited to see different players and old players out of position as he gets acquainted with the squad. trying out different personel and being creative with the players he has is fun to watch.

i’m even intrigued with vasquez. reading his wiki page makes him sound like the grim reaper, everything he touches dies. yet, he and klinsi have a mutual trust, respect, and a chemistry which clearly klinsi values over a stellar resume. i bet they work well together, and it will be nice to see that on the bench.

bottom line, if we get better or worse, lots is going to change, energy should be up, and it’s going to be fun to watch and cheer on our boys. this is an exciting time for nats. a big transition. even if we played better under bob, this will be more entertaining. what is soccer about anyway? go usa! but i do think, even if the senior team doesn’t get it together though i bet they will, that the changes in the us soccer structure will be worth everything in the end.

104. ThaDeuce says:

last sentence of first paragraph should read in your head: torres on left flank. i.e. : )

105. ThaDeuce says:

and in middle paragraph, i also like that we have a german and spanish speaker, for the players. very forward thinking, and american!

106. Catamount says:

Not worried about Phillip Lahm’s comments in the slightest. He sounds like quite a few other Germans who were uncomfortable with Klinsmann. Based upon what I saw with the German team and what I saw in the first game against Mexico with the US, he places a great deal of responsibility on the players to sort things out on the pitch. He sees his role as supportive of the vision and tactical awareness of the players. His adjustments in the second half showed a strong tactical sense of the game. When Torres and Donovan moved to the middle and Shea and Rogers entered the game, magical things happened. He worked with what the players were already doing rather than dictating to them how to play. “Yes, sir! Whatever you say, sir!” players aren’t going to like this approach.

107. dantheblue says:

Sorry to burst your bubble but Jackson has a very inflexible idea of playing on team. Kobe gets his way and the rest of them plays within a specific foundation of the triangle. Bad comparison …

108. beachbum says:

agree. same with Coach K, and Belichick.

109. solles says:

“I like Klinsi and hope he does well with the US, but this perception of him as a flawless savior is peculiar to say the least. It’s not 2006 anymore.”

Perhaps but theunceasing steam of ignorant “Kiinsmann Bayern Munich disaster” statements are more peculiar when you look at the club’s actual performance during that time, just more evidence that people are lazy and would rather repeat an opinion than form one.

110. solles says:

…and it’s Klinsmann, not “Klinsi”, show some respect.

111. solles says:

“Bayern Munich” and “professional cry babies” are two terms that pretty much always fit well together.

112. Felix says:

Not crazy about the Vazquez hire. All reports were that he was not taken seriously at Bayern Munich – but who knows if its because he’s American or because of his soccer accumen. Regardless, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
    Obviously, the Nats won’t have the same hang-up about his nationality like they did at FC Hollywood.

113. GW says:

Yes, but that was Bayern.

The USMNT is a whole different ball of wax.

The list of managers who have “failed” at Bayern would make your head spin.