Yelldell signs with Bayer Leverkusen

David Yelldell (Getty)

Less than four months after making his U.S. national team debut, German-born goalkeeper David Yelldell has made the jump from Bundesliga 2 to the German Bundelisa after signing with Bayer Leverkusen.

Yelldell enjoyed a strong campaign with Bundesliga 2 side MSV Duisburg, helping the club reach the German Cup finals last season. He joins a Leverkusen side that boasts German national team goalkeeper Rene Adler as its starter.

Bayer Leverkusen finished in second place in the Bundesliga last season, meaning the club will be competing in the UEFA Champions League next season. The added matches should help Yelldell find some playing time.

The 6-foot-4, 29-year old is the son of an American serviceman, and made his U.S. national team debut against Paraguay in May.

What do you think of this development?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Yelldell signs with Bayer Leverkusen

1. Good Jeremy says:

29 years old? For some reason I thought he was younger.
    Regardless, congrats David. Big career move that most only dream of.

2. Bob Bobson says:

The #2 is still vacant going into Brazil 14′ imo.

Nice move up but playing time still the premium requisite.

(Paging Guzan)

3. vik says:

Sounds like a good move for him. Adler is hot property too, so a good showing as the #2 could make him a clear replacement if Adler moves on.

4. Freddy says:

Can’t see him unsitting Adler. Hope he can make the most of his DFB Pokal opportunities.

5. abc says:

“Good move”? I thought we were over US teamers moving to bigger teams and instead just wanted guys to play regularly?

6. NE Matt says:

Worried he won’t play much but I’m sure he’s enjoying the hefty pay raise!!

7. MC Pharaoh says:

We have a lot of goalkeepers and as a goalkeeper playing in games gains experience and is very helpful, but in this case being back up to a good goalkeeper and filling in for a top club when needed is a great opportunity. If it was Guzan I wouldnt like the move but we got Guzan and Howard. Let him prove himself as a goalkeeper in a good club. Like I said, getting playing time every game is not as important for a goalkeeper as it is for a field player either. He also really isnt much of a “US Teamer”. He has had 1 cap.

8. David says:

I’m not sure I see this as a good move. What will happen with his playing time? Will he get minutes with the reserve side. Would that be better than where he is now? Generally speaking, I think players should go where they have a good chance of getting first team minutes. I suspect this move will not fit the bill.

9. Mike in Long Island says:

Our military really does outstanding work overseas. Thank you boys!

10. x4 says:

That’s a big of a selfish thing though on the part of us fans. It’s probably a good move for him personally. He could probably play first team in 2 Bundesliga again, but he’ll probably make more money at Leverkusen.

11. kev says:

He must be making double, triple or even 4 times what he was making for his previous team. His best hope may be German Cup appearances and maybe if lucky a league appearance. Either way this is good. He is a decent GK. He’s nearly 30 which means he may never really figure into plans but it’s good for depth to have him.

12. GW says:

Unless it was a predetermined back up situation, why would any pro move to any club if they did not believe they would get a fair shot at playing?

Better money

Better exposure

Yeldell has one season to prove himself a capable replacement for Adler.

If Adler does well he may move on.

29 is young for a keeper.

I would assume all this has been discussed by Yeldell with Leverkusen before hand.

I guess I wonder why you assume Yeldell is stupid.

13. kev says:

Most definitely

14. OC says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but Hahnemman’s first stint with the USMNT was kinda lame, and he really didn’t get much of a look until he was in his mid-30′s no?

You never know. Either way, this can’t be a bad move for the guy.

15. Soccer Guy says:

Congratulations to Yelldell! It’s been a LONG road for him. It seems like at one point I remember him in the third division and it seemed like he wasn’t really going to go much further. Seems like a case of dedication and persistence winning out over natural talent.

16. John H. says:

Sweet hope he gets valuable playing time and exposure.