USMNT announces Costa Rica and Belgium friendlies

Costa Rica - SBI Belgium - SBI

By CALEB SONNELAND

The U.S. Soccer Federation has officially announced two upcoming friendlies against Belgium and Costa Rica in early September.

The United States Men's National Team will play host to the Costa Ricans at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California on Sept. 2, shortly before making the trip to Brussels to take on Belgium on Sept. 6.

Set for a 11pm ET kickoff, the Costa Rica game will be broadcast live on ESPN2, ESPN3.com and Galavision.

Tickets for the Costa Rica go on sale (starting at $20) to the public Friday, July 15, at 2pm ET.

Only four days later, the USMNT will clash Belgium on September 6th for the first time since 1998 and only the fourth time in its history.

The United States is very familiar with Costa Rica, having accumulated an even 11-11-6 record starting back in 1975, the last of which saw Jonathon Bornstein become the hero for the USMNT while condemning Costa Rica to a World Cup playoff with Uruguay, which it lost.

The USA-Belgium friendly  is slated for a 2:30pm ET kick off, the match will be shown on ESPN Classic and ESPN3.com.

Belgium is boasting one of its best crop of players in years with the likes of Eden Hazard, Romelu Lukaku, Steven Defour and captain Thomas Vermaelen (among others) all having been called up in the past.  Tim Howard could also be tested by Everton teammate Marouane Fellaini.

What do you think of these friendlies? Excited to see the U.S. team get back on the field? Who are you hoping to see get called up?

This entry was posted in International Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team, U.S. Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to USMNT announces Costa Rica and Belgium friendlies

1. Brian says:

Typo. You said Jonathon Bornstein. I think you meant the “Left-Back-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named”

2. Bryan says:

Seems strange. I doubt anyone from europe will fly to la. I would have rathered seen us play another european team instead of CR

3. Chris says:

these are OK friendlies. Not great but not bad. It’s always good to play on European soil.

4. Brian says:

Yeah seems strange. So all our Euro based players are going to have to fly from England/Scotland/Germany/France/Scandinavia etc. all the way to LA then back to Europe in about a week? I guess shorter travel for them for when they go back to their clubs.

And it won’t be a Camp Cupcake friendly since the MLS season will still be going on.

I’m speculating but the LA location makes me wonder if this is a Send Off for Cherundolo. I hope not.

5. mistadobolina says:

i bet that the two games will have entirely different squads. one MLS/Mexican league players and the second all euro based and some stars from the first game.

6. jonk says:

I think it’s unlikely the Euro players will travel to LA. There is a mini break in MLS play that should accommodate MLS and Mexican based guys playing against Costa Rica.

7. Gerald says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was 2 different teams for these friendlies

8. Andrew H. says:

Where is the USMNT announcement that we have a new coach? Gulati said he would make a statement about the coach by the end of last week. I am hoping this means he is finalizing details of a contract with a new coach. Unlike all of the media, I think Gulati makes a change soon. Lippi, Hiddink or Klinsmann would suit me well.

9. boosted335 says:

Thats cool but Greece plays Bosnia on Aug10th making it very possible we could lose out on George John the best CB in MLS and the best talent America has produced since Rossi. No me gusto

link to youtube.com

link to mlssoccer.com

10. AC says:

11. Brian says:

How much of a break we talking here? A few days? A whole week?

12. jonk says:

Haha, good one.

13. Brian says:

He’s probably just going to say he stands behind Bob Bradley. Don’t get your hopes up

14. jonk says:

Considering it’s MLS we’re talking about, I’d typically be happy if there were no MLS games directly conflicting with international dates. In this case, there are games on Aug 28 and then nothing until Sept 3, so at least Bob can have a brief camp.

15. Michael says:

What are ESPN and ESPN2 showing at 2:30 ET on a Tuesday afternoon in September that they have to bump the match with Belgium to ESPN Classic?!?

16. Brian says:

Thanks for the info, jonk. Probably safe to see we will see a few of the LA guys (Gonzalez, Franklin, maybe AJ, Donovan?).

I’d definitely would like to see John, Ream and Gonzo. Only other MLS players I’d like to see get called up are Agudelo, Bunbury, Davies and maybe Shea.

17. boosted335 says:

I can lead you to water but you gotta drink (click) yourself

18. Brian says:

Feilhaber too

19. Colin says:

Replay of 2008 World’s Strongest Man competition from Malta. It’s ratings GOLD.

20. jonk says:

I think he is a very good MLS defender and would like to see him get his chance with the big boys, but to call him the best talent
    America has produced since Rossi is laughable. Also, the castrol index is garbage.

21. bizzy says:

MONTH OF SEPT…..A PERIOD OF TOTAL HEARTACHE, AGONY AND DESPAIR….

22. Topher says:

It seems like we never have friendlies against African squads (only to get knocked out twice in a row to Ghana in the WC). I would much rather have seen us schedule Cameroon or Ghana than play Costa Rica. We play CR enough.

23. patrick says:

thats so random to say. It could just as easy be a send off for Donovan (who hasn’t been playing nearly as well as Dolo) or any other number of players. Dolo won’t be retiring anytime soon, he’s made it clear he enjoys the US experience.

24. USAmr says:

He made a statement but it was just about the fan experience at the Gold Cup final.
    link to ussoccer.com

25. patrick says:

you, along with some other folks, must see something no one who spends a lot of time with him can if you think he’s the best talent since rossi. You’ve got a lot to learn, including to cut down on the hyperbole, you’ll have a better argument.

26. Brian says:

Not random at all. Dolo is from San Diego. He’s 32. I remember hearing chatter of Dolo contemplating retirement around the time the Gold Cup roster came out.

I recall reading about a reporter from San Diego (San Diego Tribune?) asking Bob a question at a press conference about this. I’m trying to find a link.

27. patrick says:

the travel has a lot to do with it. The only solution is to have it in Europe, but whos gonna show up to a US Ghana game in England or Ireland or something?

28. hogatroge says:

I can’t help but think how much cooler both of the Costa Rican and Belgian Federations’ crests are than the USSF.

The Costa Rica crest shows how to do a modern-looking crest right, and the Belgian crest has the classic look.

The US crest looks like promo art for Windows 95.

29. boosted335 says:

who is then?

30. Ryan in NY by way of NC says:

^THIS!!!

31. Ryan in NY by way of NC says:

my “THIS” was to Topher. (btw)

32. Shane says:

Looking forward to the Belgium match. They have an exciting young team. We . . . dont. No just kidding. Should be a good game.

33. mouf says:

Bunbury has no business being called up right now, skc fan saying this

34. patrick says:

just because someone asks a question about it doesn’t mean theres anything to it. If you recall, Tim Howard has also mentioned the end of his US career as well. Dolo won’t be retiring before the 2014 WC, you can put $$$ on it.

35. patrick says:

Tim Ream, clint dempsey, michael bradley, stu holden, Eric Lichaj, mo edu, timmy chandler (a stretch, i admit) hell even Agudelo is a better talent than George John. I’d even add a pre (and possibly post) injury Davies to the list. He’s a nice talent, but there’s a reason we’ve seen Ream in the last what, 2 or 3 camps? I like John, but these people fawning over him like he’s Pique or something is insane. Greece took him in for a look, they didn’t cap him, they didn’t even have him in the 23 man pool I beleive. Let him get a couple of more years and maybe he’ll pass Ream and the other young CBs, or maybe he won’t. Right now he’s not nearly as good as you make him out to be.

36. Brian says:

It was a little more than a question. IIRC Dolo was contempating retiring but told Bob he’ll stick around as long as Bob needs him. Having difficulty finding the link though. I’m honestly not making this up. I think I read it on SBI from Ives. I wanna say it was in a live match day commentary or a Live Q&A.

You think Dolo is gonna play in the 2014 World Cup? I hope he does, but I would take that bet.

37. mistadobolina says:

seriously! get with the frecking program ESPN!

38. patrick says:

i had 2 links but they got eaten. THere’s an article on the shingardian that references the Cherundolo rumor, but thats it. I think he’ll be on the 2014 roster. That doesn’t mean he’ll be coming in for every game and camp, but I absolutely see cherundolo on the 2014 team

39. boosted335 says:

lol, REAM? and here i thought you were for real

40. Alex.rendon92@gmail.com says:

lol, REAM got called up by people who make a living making decisions like that, who have been around the game for decades, and probably have a better track record of spotting talent than you… Yeah, Ream had a couple of stinkers, but I doubt John would have done any better. These guys are PROSPECTS. They have POTENTIAL. Including John. It just doesn’t make them starters now.

41. Matt says:

hey! this is the “worldwide leader in sports” you guys are talking about…have some respect! I miss them showing the Miniature Golf Championships…ah, good times.

42. Alex says:

That’s why it says “Your Name in reply to Topher.” Ha.

43. pd says:

I was actually thinking the same thing; MLS heavy squad in LA, EU squad in Belgium. However you’ll see LD at both matches. Either way I these are two quality opponents.

44. bearusky says:

What’s the loint for these bew friendlies? Same clown are going to play…

45. pd says:

Fire Bob Bradley time: 7 minutes.

46. mouf says:

Disagree.. Each their own though

47. jake says:

Clearly the same clowns are posting…

48. patrick says:

Yes, Tim Ream. The one that was chosen, multiple times, over George John

49. eRic gheimer says:

hopefully the LA game is a chance to audition full backs and center backs.

50. boosted335 says:

okok ill make it simple for ya…

How’d Ream work out for you last weekend?

John excelled (as usual)

See the difference …?

51. boosted335 says:

How’d Ream fare in his return to lowly mls play last game?…

John excelled!…again.

But its still not clicking is it? -sigh-

Goodnight good Sirs

52. MensreaJim says:

Well, that particular game won’t cap tie him anyway, but IF he plays well and they decide to cap him in September during Euro qualifying, he’s gone, yes.

Unlikely scenario.

He’s really, really good and as far as we know Ream is ahead of him because John couldn’t play in camp cupcake last year (injury) and Ream could. As far as we know, of course.

I am an FCD homer, but he is legit. I don’t know about best since Rossi, but I don’t think that’s the criteria to start as a CB for us right now. More like best since Sub…

53. Juan from L.A. says:

Meanwhile Bradley continues to be the coach…way to go US Soccer press in making the majority be felt and pressure the USSF…we will continue being number 2…

54. Ed says:

Eh, Belgium maybe, but the costa rica one is garbage IMO.

55. A Straight says:

Hard to get excited with the same boring coach…….

56. hogatroge says:

John and Omar Gonzalez definitely need call ups for the CR match. Ream will be there too, and should be. A lot of players have runs of poor form like he is currently experiencing. Sure, he has a lot of developing to do, but he has some very promising qualities as well.

Now we just need to work on the left back situation. Too bad M.A. Ponce is currently in Argentina playing for Mexico.

57. Alex says:

Look, he may be solid, and he may have an upside, and who knows, maybe he’ll be better than Ream in 2014. Should he get a look now? definitely! I don’t see why not. But he’s hardly our “greatest talent” and is no lock to start. Neither is Ream, honestly. Just a little reality check.

58. Alex says:

Too small of a sample size. John is very good, no doubt, and should get some looks. But I’d still take Ream over him. Here’s to both of them developing into starting CB’s for the nats!

59. DingDong says:

I would put Belgium in the “quite good” category.

60. BB says:

Sheanon Williams, Shea, Gonzo, Ream, Loyd, Dax, maybe Alexander, CJ Sapong, Zusi, Balchan? , Pontius, Kitchen? White? maybe Mcdonald/Opara( hopefully Opara)

61. BB says:

Plus Joe Corona, Gomez, JFT, Acuña,Valentin,?

62. jpc says:

Hopefully Holden will be getting back to fitness by then, and we can play w/ our full attacking arsenal. And maybe Charlie Davies will continue to improve

63. MicahK says:

If BB lose these games or ties them he needs to go asap. Also bb acuna will play for mex not us.

64. Seriously says:

Agreed.

65. DCU Fan In SOcal says:

MAJOR TYPO YOU MEAN BLOW’STEIN!

66. Same here…I think we’ll see 2 different squads…Hope Chandler can join camp for this one…Maybe even see the return of Davies…

67. Bob34 says:

Personally, I don’t really care who we see on the pitch for these two matches but I would like to see a new coach on the side lines. These are two good matches though for a new coach to have a look at both domestic and foreign based players.

68. MicahK says:

Not a snowballs chance in H-E-double hockey sticks Bob Bradley will get fired before the two matches.

69. Bob34 says:

Yeah, I think you’re right. I just read the post at ussoccer.com about the 2 friendlies;

“The matches against Costa Rica and Belgium represent another great opportunity to continue the building process as we move towards the start of 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying,” said U.S. head coach Bob Bradley. “We will have the chance to look at a variety of players and at the same time challenge ourselves against two very different opponents.”

Sure sounds like BB expects to be coach for those two matches… I’ve been a player & diehard fan since the late 70′s. Over 3 decades of the same ole, same ole is getting tiring and my enthusiasm is waning. Even though talent pool is much deeper, I don’t think we’re much better team now if at all than we were in 94.

70. DC Josh says:

Good setup by the USSF with equal opposition for both games:

The Costa Rica game will most likely feature a USMNT composed of MLS & Mexico-based players exclusively, which matches up well against a decent Costa Rican squad.

Belgium will play against our full squad, with the European-based players including possibly Donovan and Charlie Davies from MLS. This will be a good match-up for our “A” team. Much better than playing Spain or Argentina where we defend for our lives, then break for a counter attack or two.

71. pd says:

Dare to hope Torres Castillo and Orozco get looks here?

72. Helium3 says:

Agree re: CR game; waste of time. What don’t we already know about them, and we will be playing them 2x in the qualifiers. Should be playing team like Colombia than CR.

73. donttreadonme says:

Fully expect to see new faces at both of these. Yelldell should get a call since he was recently snatched up by a first division team. I think it would be good for him. Chandler, Diskerud, Parkhurst just a few for Belgium. Davies for CR. Time to get this engine roaring!

74. donttreadonme says:

Oh and Gatt (assuming he’s healed) and Cunningham.

75. Ryan in NYC says:

haha. my bad.

76. bryan says:

when i saw that, i got so mad. it’s absolutely ridiculous.

77. Peter says:

Hispanic Player? not bradley’s stlye sorry.