Seattle sees off 10-man Timbers in Portland

SoundersTimbers (Getty)

By CALEB SONNELAND

In the return leg of the heated Cascadia derby between hosts Portland Timbers and the traveling Seattle Sounders, it was the visitors who marched away with all three points and the bragging rights in the Pacific Northwest with a 3-2 win.

Osvaldo Alonso smashed home the game-winner in the 82nd minute from the penalty spot after substitute Lamar Neagle was felled by Eric Brunner inside the area to set up the spot kick.  Brunner was subsequently sent off for the challenge and left the hosts to finish the match short-handed.

But it was Fredy Montero who was the hero for the visitors and the villain for the hosts as the DP snagged two second-half goals at the Jeld-Wen to keep his side in contention.

After having looked lethal all match, Montero finally got on the score sheet in the 57th minute when he curled home a beautiful free kick just inside Perkins near post to even things up.  The DP hit the shot with a chip on his shoulder after being harshly fouled outside the area by Danso and the two exchanged words before the latter had his name put into the book.

The Colombian doubled his total in the 74th minute after a good ball from substitute from Lamar Neagle found Mauro Rosales who touched on to Montero for the striker to smash home from close range for his fifth goal of the season.

The Timbers had regained the edge in the 70th minute and looked to close out the game when Jorge Perlaza sped down the left side and had a shot/cross that was deflected off Tyson Wahl and past a hopeless Kasey Keller.  Keller cut a frustrated figure between the sticks as it was the second goal he conceded in the match but was helpless to prevent.

Portland was first off the mark after Kalif Alhassan forced a Jeff Parke own goal just 49 seconds into the second half.  Alhassan skipped down the right hand touchline before zipping the ball into the area and off Parke's foot to leave Keller with no chance and give the hosts a 1-0 advantage.

Montero had a handful of chances all day but couldn't complete his hat trick, even in the 88th minute when his free header six yards out was denied on the line by Perkins.  Sounders fans screamed goal, but replay showed that the Timbers shot stopper kept the effort out.

Montero continued to look lethal just minutes after his goal when Friberg fed the Colombian into the area, but once again, Perkins made himself big and came up with a point blank save to keep things level.

It went from bad to worse in the 55th minute when starting center back Jhon Kennedy Hurtado went down with a knee injury in the build up to a good Portland offensive that saw Jorge Perlaza miss a tap-in from six yards out while already up 1-0.  Hurtado was replaced by Patrick Ianni after being forced to leave the game with a right knee injury.

The packed house in Portland was a hostile environment for the visitors and cut an intimidating place to play.

"It was crazy," said Neagle. "The Timbers fans were intimidating, or they tried to be."

Portland packed 18,627 into the Jeld-Wen and those in attendance were very vocal throughout. But was Neagle nervous to come in for such a big fixture?

"No, not really.  I got 30 to 40 minutes to go out there and do my thing.  I was fresh and I knew I could run at their outside backs, so I did."

Neagle was an impact sub, setting up the assist on Montero's second goal and drawing the game-winning penalty in his impressive shift.

The rematch in Portland follows the first clash between the two rivals when they slugged out a 1-1 draw thanks to goals from Alvaro Fernandez and "Futty" Danso.

—————-

What did you think of the game?  How much does this result mean in the Pacific Northwest?  Is Montero your Man of the Match?

Share your thoughts below

This entry was posted in MLS- Portland Timbers, MLS- Seattle Sounders. Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Seattle sees off 10-man Timbers in Portland

1. acj says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game that close where one of the teams scored all five of the goals. :)

2. TimbersNeverDisappoint says:

Loved the “Sound Proof” scarves the Timbers Army held up after they just lost. Must have been too busy explaining to their friends how Portland is “Soccer City USA” to have noticed the scoreline.

3. masterfully done says:

I didn’t see the game, but good on Seattle. Portland fans have been way more annoying than Seattle was in their first season.

4. acj says:

We’re less annoying! I’ll take it.

5. Ricky B. Free says:

Portland cant win on the road and at home lol.

6. JimmyJoe says:

I’d hope Seattle is aspiring to higher standards than that, but I’ll take it for the time being. :)

Good win on the road in any circumstance, let alone a rivalry match. Impressive to see Seattle fall behind twice and still come back for 3 points. This team has a lot more backbone than their first two MLS incarnations.

7. Dan Ericson says:

So true. I think Seattle has enjoyed scoring goals on itself a bit this year…

8. Hopper says:

Great win. Tyson Wahl sucks, but we won despite of him. Nice try Portland. See you next year.

9. mcm says:

How does Ziggi feel about set pieces now?

10. b says:

I don’t really see what is so annoying about Timbers fans. Care to elaborate?

11. Emerald_City_Jason says:

The late great David Halberstam, discussing the Sonics-Blazers rivalry in his fabulous book *The Breaks of the Game,* wrote that “A Seattle-Portland game was always special. There was a natural rivalry between the two cities, particularly as far as Portland was concerned.”

That was back in 1979, but some things never change. Which is to say that while this was a nice win, Seattle should and does have its eyes on much bigger things than topping a struggling expansion side in early July.

What a great showcase match for the league, though.

12. your mom says:

Timber fans are always so quiet after a loss. Where are the apologist trolls? It must have been someone’s fault.

13. Ricky B. Free says:

I guess that the customers are very happy. Keep talking s..t about other fan bases.

Keep quiet until your team wins something.

I am not a Sounders fan but I am really happy that the TA will not be talking crap for the rest of the year.

14. joel says:

great game

15. up says:

What?!! You don’t think Portscum will make the playoffs???

16. Charles says:

It is the mantra of the jealous.

Like Timbers’ fans have gotten used to their team losing to Seattle…get used to the ignorant idiots.

17. chris says:

Ahahahaha I always love when the timbers lose. Most annoying and weirdest fans ever.

18. acj says:

He wants the Sounders to win them and take them well? I’m not sure I understand the question. It was Spencer who took exception to the comment that Portland scores a lot of goals off of set pieces. How many goals do they have from the run of play this year?

19. Brice says:

I know, nothing worse than a fan base that stands and cheers their team for a full game. We need to get Portland out of the league as quick as possible they are making other supporter groups look bad.

20. masterfully done says:

How does being annoyed by some fans make me jealous and an ignorant idiot? From the few Timbers fans/supporters I’ve encountered, it’s been frustrating and annoying trying to coordinate things between fellow MLS supporters groups. Seattle supporters have been much easier to collaborate with. That’s just my opinion, there’s no need for the name calling, Charles.

21. BWH says:

Right, because being tied for 3rd most home wins in the league equates to not being able to win at home

lolol!

22. Travis says:

Is there any news about the Hurtado injury yet? Him and Parke have been playing quite well together as of late, really would be a shame to lose him for an extended period of time again.

23. Travis says:

Also forgot to add way to show class by booing Hurtado when he was injured Portland fans. He looked quite distraught and you guys cheered what could be a serious injury. That is why nobody likes you

24. Fat Guy says:

Youvn’t heard? They have No Pity In the Pose City

25. Lassidawg says:

To be fair as a Seattle fan I would say that would be the reaction at any place including Seattle, because it is impossible to tell when players are faking and injury.
    That was a great showcase for the mls, except the first half where Portland as the home team decided to sit back and do aost nothing.
    Now as Seattle fans we get to enemy #1 is coming to town. Will Colorado be dumb enough to play Mullen.

26. Ricky B. Free says:

Nice win streak you guys have going on lol.

27. Ricky B. Free says:

They took him out of the game. How can they not tell that he was injured?

I hope that Mullen plays vs Seattle.

28. Neruda says:

Neagle is a surprise for Seattle while big Cooper offers little. He’s NBA forward tall and is atrocious in the air.

29. Aaron says:

I thought it was a good game. Even though the Timbers didn’t really score their goals outright, they created the chances that put them into the position to get those goals into the net. That said, I as a player myself never feel quite as good about a goal that went off of some defender’s foot. I mean I know a result is just that, but it just doesn’t feel the same.

And even after all of that, the Sounders still won. Fought back each time and came up with 3 points in the end. A very fun game to watch, heated and all. And Rosales is my new favorite Sounder. That guy is going to get a big bump to stay with the team next year, he literally makes plays happen, especially in the absence of Zakuani.

30. jonk says:

It’s funny how often I hear that Seattle doesn’t care about the rivalry…yet there was some dude a section over from me wearing a Seattle jersey with “puck fortland” customized on the back and he had his buddies take his picture with the TA in the background.

31. asimismo says:

I saw Timbers Army stand the whole game (and I’d expect no less), but the folks across the field from the camera sure seemed to be sitting.

32. Brice says:

Ricky I think you only have to look late in the Brazil v US game today when the Brazilian defender was writhing on the ground and had to be carried off only to immediately jump off the stretcher as soon as it is off the field of play and spring back up to try and check back in. When an opposition player goes down we all as fans have a hint of skepticism. As Lassidawg put it, I can guarantee every fan base has a similar reaction. It is not like they waited to get an injury report before starting to chant, it was nearly instantaneous.

33. nate says:

Those are the really expensive seats (on the far side of the field). Hardly any real fans can afford to sit over there. It’s too bad they’re also the ones that are always on camera.

34. sammysounder says:

We got harassed by a few jerks, but most of the Timbers fans were great to our small group of non-ECS SSFC fans.

That was a great match to be at. Jeld Wen surprised me a bit. There seemed to be a lot of places they could have put more seats but didn’t during the remodel, and there was actually tarps behind the TA. I thought they could sell those out pretty easily.

TA does a better job than ECS at getting the songsheets distributed throughout the stadium.

The stadium was okay, but it was minor-league compared to Qwest.

35. Emerald_City_Jason says:

An anecdote about one person isn’t a way to make a point about the general attitude of a major metropolitan city.

36. Bakasama says:

I would say it is More Wrigley or Fenway to Seattle’s Yankee Stadium.

37. anikan says:

Sorry to hear you ran into some fools while down here. Guess the stupidity comes with the rivalry.

We would all love to see them roll back the tarps but, the sad fact is that the concourses and amenities just can’t handle bigger crowds. Getting money for east and south end was hard enough. No way they could of gotten the funding they would of needed to upgrade the rest of the stadium. While it isn’t as nice or new as Qwest (that stadium seem to big for soccer at the moment) I like our 85 year old stadium and the history that goes along with it.

38. Tom in Portland says:

Are you kidding Ricky? You do realize that he was being booed before he was subbed out right? Not only that but it was after the slightest of touches and he looked like he was screaming for a foul and for the Timbers to put the ball out. And as one of your fellow customers pointed out the exact same thing would have happened if a Timber went down on your terrible pitch.

39. club 205 says:

Customers or Custimbers?

40. Ricky B. Free says:

Are you awared that TA are customers too?

I am not even a Sounders fan lol. Nice try.

Portland Customers were booing Hurtado when he was being taken to the locker room.

Are Portland fans too stupid to know that when they take a player out of the game, that he could be injured?

41. mcm says:

You know what he meant. Don’t be silly.

42. Ricky B. Free says:

I am only talking about the morons that were booing Hurtado when the was being taken to the locker room.

43. Emerald_City_Jason says:

+1 on ECS needing to do a better job of spreading songsheets one way or another. It took like a season-and-a-half for anything beyond the most basic call-and-response to spread throughout the stadium.

44. Emerald_City_Jason says:

I’ll side with Travis &co. on this one. It’s one thing if a guy is a known flopper or if his team has anything to gain by delaying the game. Hurtado never flops and had nothing to gain by delaying. Moreover, he was obviously in a great deal of pain and he immediately, adamantly, and continually signaled to the Sounders’ sideline that he needed help and a sub. It wouldn’t happen at Qwest or Empire Field, and it wasn’t the best moment for Portland fans.

45. abc says:

Actually, my friend Doug says it is, so…

46. RAMONE says:

Don’t forget, the anti-everything crowd is still having an absolute fit about the city pitching in 11 million (I hear QWEST cost a little more than that) to redo the stadium. You don’t get a whole lot for that kind of money but it is MUCH better than it was before.

Ultimately I think they will find creative solutions to pulling back the tarps (like extending the concourses out onto the sidewalks during the games) and adding more seats, but yeah – there was a significant part of seeing how the old girl would run after the renovation and figuring that all out later.

47. Emerald_City_Jason says:

Any chance that with a few years of sell-outs/ad revenue/pro shop sales the team can afford to make the upgrades without public support?

48. lassidawg says:

I thought you were only talking about the initial part when he was laying on the field. If they were booing as he was leaving then they are dumber than I already thought. It further prooves the point the vocal fans in Portland have no class.

I’ll take being a customer of a team that has a history of winning over being a bunch of Hooligan wannabes.

49. Charles says:

Quit the name calling ?

Agreed so quit calling people going to root for their team annoying.

Wow.

50. sammysounder says:

We started with this one at the end of the match and a lil old lady said , “you can’t sing the other teams songs! ”

51. Waterlewd says:

I enjoyed the match. I didn’t think Spencer managed the game well with his substitutes and was driven on emotion which clouded his judgment. I hated the 4-1-4-1 formation selection, and it was obviously the wrong selection against Seattle.

The game should have ended with 22 players on the field. The red card was the wrong call, but I wasn’t surprised by the misinterpretation of the rule by that referee. It wasn’t a professional foul or serious foul play, so it can’t be a red card. It was a simple foul and penalty, and maybe it was a border-line yellow card for dangerous play. The Timber’s player got the ball from behing but wiped out the Seattle player. Okay, it’s a foul. When did the awarding of a penalty not become enough punishment for a foul in the box? Nothing in the rules call for a sending off. Same thing for the USA/Brazil women’s match, except I didn’t think there was a foul in that one. A professional foul is a deliberate foul, and in both cases, the defenders were honestly going for the ball. I’m beginning to expect shockingly wrong/game-changing calls in MLS and the WWC, and to see a game changed by a referee mistake is so frustrating.

52. masterfully done says:

You do realize that they have won US Open Cup, right? That’s the oldest Cup competition in the US and one of the qualifiers for the CONCACAF Champions League. I’m not a Sounders fan either, but I just thought I’d point that out for future reference.

53. sammysounder says:

It was a grreat experience all in all. The concessions at my end were struggling to keep up so iguess it makes sense why they capped it. No worries about the fools in the ta. There were only a couple and we have our share as well. Get more than ten people in a group and someone
    is bound to be an idiot. TA has done a good job of keeping the songs simple as well. Things like ‘bluest skies’ are tough to pick up

54. Oranje says:

Lol what? Pretty sure “ignorant idiots” is a bit more inflammatory than “annoying”. Oh Portland fans, just be happy you put a bird on it.

55. Aaron says:

I agree. While I do think it was a foul and the penalty appropriately awarded, I don’t think he deserved to be sent off, maybe a yellow card at most, but even that would be iffy based on the foul. I’m actually surprised there aren’t more comments about the foul yet.

56. dr. b says:

A player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

5. denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

learn the rules

57. Ned Smitty says:

It was an automatic red card for denying a scoring opportunity in the box. I saw a great photo today in the Oregonian of Brunner leg over Neagle’s shoulder.

58. lassidawg says:

Don’t forget to throw in they have also lost the most games at home as well.

59. lassidawg says:

The red card is meant to keep players from pulling players down before they get to the box. However I think it is a good rule even in the box. If you are defender it would be better to have let Neagle try and score instead of risking the PK and card. The keeper would have a better shot at stopping the shot and you would still be on the field to help your team even if he doesn’t.

60. lassidawg says:

So often we come on here and rip the refs, so I thought I would give some props to the refs for doing a great job on the match. They did what they were supposed to do, stay out of the way of the match and not be involved in the decision.

61. masterfully done says:

Sorry, posted this reply to the wrong comment :)

62. two o six says:

oh, do you mean the customers? just like the TA has been calling seattle customers for the past three seasons? you mean you have people who arent going apesh*t the whole game and that makes them lame. PTFC now have all the pomp and corporate flare that we do. for chris’ sake, you have a WWF reject cutting logs and parading them around the field like hacksaw jim dugan. fireworks, huge tifo, etc.
    swallow your pride TA and recognize it is what happens when you go big. but you wouldnt know since you have never been big, at anything.
    SOUNDERS!

63. stevo SSFC says:

Yeah refs did a great job i thought. (only in hindsight can i say that because when i think back on it, i can’t remember their part in the game, except for the red card, which i totally agreed with) The referee correctly called the red, as it was a clear goal scoring opportunity, denied with an obvious foul.
    Poor decision on the defenders part but i can’t blame him, he was doing all he could to get the ball, with no time to sit and reflect on his decision… Portland played okay, but Seattle overcame, despite the frustration of two unlucky own goals. GO Seattle!

64. Waterlewd says:

Ha! That’s too simplitic and the issue is much more complicated than that. FIFA established more guidance for what is denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity than the simple Rules of the Game you’re quoting. And I think FIFA is looking at clarifying it more. I thought the defender got the ball THEN took out the attacker. Therefore, the ball was gone and the obvious goal scoring opportunity (measured by the 4 Ds) was gone as well. How can the attacker even shot the ball when it deflected off his forehead? Lastly, the defender made a challenge that was not cynical or a professional foul, which relates to why the rule exists to begin with. It was the wrong call per FIFA guidance on the 4 Ds of DOGSO, not the type of foul intended to be punished by the DOGSO rule, and unfair based on the nature of the foul. So, how do you define a DOGSO? Ya know, other than typing it from the rules.

65. Charles says:

Fine, I will downgrade them to annoying.

At least I didn’t call 100s of thousands of people annoying.

Plus he started it. ;-)

66. Fred Garvin says:

anyone who has knowledge of the rule can easily see the red card here.. bone up on the rules

67. RAMONE says:

The problem is that it is impossible to tell when someone is flopping sometimes. Yes, occasionally there are obvious injuries. Yes, boos should probably be reserved a little more … it was an emotional game with a psyched up crowd who watched a guy lay on the pitch and the hope the Timbers would kick the ball out for him.

I can’t remember which flounder did the same thing later in the game and Alonso then went and hacked down Marcelin and stood over him going off because the Timbers didn’t kick the ball out (he drew a yellow for it). By that time “injured player” was back up and running. He too was booed and deserved every second of it.

68. Emerald_City_Jason says:

Yes, lassidawg, they booed hard when he was leaving the field. I think that’s what we’re all complaining about.

69. Fred Garvin says:

Alonso is in charge… nuff said

70. Mikey says:

I think you misunderstood his jersey. He’s actually a hockey fan and he buys his pucks from a company called “Fortland”

71. Mikey says:

This guy’s on to something – get his message to Garber!

72. Kejsare says:

Seattle doesn’t get points for scoring on themselves…

73. Kejsare says:

A Tacoma dome game of Portland vs. Seattle Sonics and a likewise game in Portland goes to show that the Sounders are the first team Seattleites will travel for. The Tacoma Dome game was half Blazer fans.

74. Kejsare says:

4 thousand new seats filled seems easier than 32,000 in an NFL stadium that also holds soccer events.

75. Fred Garvin says: