Klinsmann hired as USMNT coach

Klinsmann0704062804bjs

Photo by ISIphotos.com

It took five years, but U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati has the coach he's wanted all along.

Juergen Klinsmann was hired as coach of the U.S. men's national team on Friday, replacing the ousted Bob Bradley.

"We are excited to have Jürgen as the head coach of our Men's National Team," Gulati said in a press release. "He is a highly accomplished player and coach with the experience and knowledge to advance the program. Jürgen has had success in many different areas of the game and we look forward to the leadership he will provide on and off the field."

Klinsmann, who guided Germany to the FIFA World Cup semifinals in 2006, has been linked with the U.S. coaching job ever since Bruce Arena left the post following that same World Cup. When U.S. Soccer did not want to concede as much power over the national-team structure as Klinsmann wanted, Gulati turned to Bradley.

After the 2010 World Cup cycle, one in which Bradley guided the United States to the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup title, 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup final, first place in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, first place in its World Cup group and a Round of 16 berth, Gulati again tried to woo Klinsmann to the job, but the two failed to agree on terms yet again.

Bradley was then handed a four-year contract extension but was let go on Thursday after an underwhelming start to the 2014 World Cup cycle, one that included a second-place finish to Mexico in the 2011 Gold Cup with a spot in the 2013 Confederations Cup on the line.

With a rematch against Mexico on Aug. 10 in Philadelphia, it will be Klinsmann manning the sidelines for the U.S. national team. He'll be introduced to the press in New York on Monday.

"I am proud and honored to be named the head coach of the U.S. Men's National Team," said Klinsmann, who most recently had been a consultant for Toronto FC and is the first non-American U.S. national team coach since Bora Milutinovic in 1995. "I would like to thank the U.S. Soccer Federation for the opportunity, and I'm excited about the challenge ahead. I am looking forward to bringing the team together for our upcoming match against Mexico and starting on the road toward qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup."

—————

What do you think of the hire? Think Klinsmann is the right coach to take U.S. Soccer to the next level?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

315 Responses to Klinsmann hired as USMNT coach

1. CSD says:

It’s a good PR move. I am not sure if it is a good on the field move.

2. Detroit! says:

Can’t say yet whether he’s a good hire, but I wish him and the team good luck.

3. BurlingtonChelsea says:

Alright! Now lets see how we do in the next three friendlies!

4. SuperChivo says:

Gulati and Klinsman finally consummate their prolonged courtship. Not who I wanted but hopefully he will exceed my exceptions. Good luck, Jurgi.

5. Drew says:

Well, a lot of people got what they wanted. Not sure I love him, but I’m excited for a change!

6. WeatherManNX01 says:

I’d like to say I’m shocked, but all the evidence was there.

First question: Mr. Klinsmann, who are you calling up for the Mexico match that’s 12 days away? Time to get to work!

7. CSD says:

My vote was for Alexi Lalas.

I kid, I kid

8. I got that PMA says:

Ok, here we go. I can’t wait to see he staff and I think I might need to drive to Philly for the US vs Mexico game.

9. jonk says:

Who are his assistants going to be? That’s what’ll make or break him.

10. Villain-from-Texas says:

Despite recognizing his negatives, I’m excited about having him as the coach.

11. Aaron in StL says:

Hopefully he’ll be able to help shape the program and move it in the right direction. Excited to see how this works.

Will be awfully difficult at the youth stages without hefty investment / donation to get out of the ‘pay-to-play’ mode.

12. Bobby says:

Ze German!!! I’m excited to see what Klinsmann has to offer the Nats.

13. Poo says:

it’s a good day

14. qax says:

Reserving judgment and hoping for the best. let’s go üSMNT!!!

15. Joey says:

Can’t be worse. Let’s see who he invites to the next game

16. Murph says:

I would not expect too much there. He will most likely be in testing mode (players / formation) and not worried about results.

17. MyPurpleUnderCracker says:

Well that was quick. I still don’t think this guy has proven enough as a coach though. It’s pretty easy to be labeled a good coach when you lead the Germans to a third place finish at a World Cup in your own country. Hiddink would have been a safer choice in my opinion.

18. Dennis says:

Way so predictible.

I really wish him well and I hope he becomes more engaged in the task than he was with Germany when he spent most of his time in the US.

19. Aaron in StL says:

If he calls Bornstein in so help me…

If there are any other German-Americans in the pipeline maybe this will be another little bonus to swing them our way for now

20. I got that PMA says:

Ja, lasst uns gehen!

21. John F says:

As I noted yesterday, is there anyone else who can claim European coaching experience combined with knowledge of the US game? Possibly, but no other names come quickly to mind. On paper at least, this is a good hire. Now he has a very early opportunity to prove it’s good on grass as well.

22. TADevil says:

Right on! I wanted Klinsmann.

23. CSD says:

Latest endeavors Bayern Munich and consulting TFC. Less than stellar resume additions.

24. abm says:

Fire him now!

25. miked. says:

After the protracted and soap opera-esque courtship, I really hope this relationship works out / is worth the hype.

26. inkedAG says:

ANTI-CLIMATIC!!

27. Freddie Footballer says:

I’m excited because our program had gotten stale in the last year or so, so this energizes the fan base and creates optimism going forward. However, I’m not sure he is all that experienced internationally as some may argue. He led Germany in ’06 and hasn’t done anything since. I do think he has a good soccer mind and understands the US system, so we’ll see what happens.
    p.s. Thank you Bob for your work in our program, we (most sane US fans) thank you for your accomplishments.

28. I'm Dylan's Butler says:

Hiddink a safer choice, but he has a job already, and did he want this one for less money than his current one? If not, kind of a moot point.

29. spencer says:

Not a bad pick, not the most flashy as far as playing style, but our team isn’t a flashy team and would need either German or English style. As far as the friendly he is the only one who they could pick who knew the player pool.

30. David says:

While I am hopeful I am more skeptical. This is a guy with less than 80 matches in his management career who hasn’t as far as I can tell been considered for any job besides the US job for the last 2 years.

Ultimately Sunil is betting his legacy on Klinsmann. If this is a disaster Sunil will get the boot too because everyone know Klinsmann has been his guys for a long time. I honestly wonder if anyone beside klinsmann or Bradley has been considered for the job in the last 5 years…

31. Jeff Awesome says:

YES!!! There is hope for a brighter future!

32. Al_OC says:

That’s interesting question. I read somewhere that a day before Bradley was fired, he was calling some players for the Mexico friendly.

33. Isaac says:

how did you get the german ulong (sp?)?

34. Cabrito says:

I’m only happy for this, so as to shut-up all the pro-Klinsman hype we’ve been hearing for the past several years. I just wish it would have happened a year ago, so that when we lost to Spain, Panama, and Mexico, we’d still have time to fire Klinsman and get a real coach before WCQ.

35. LoS says:

a SHOCKER(sarcasm)!!!!!!! i hope he fails so then we can get rid of Gulati and start fresh….

36. Klinsmann has been lurking in the shadows, scouting out youth talent and developing an appreciating and understanding of the game. His understanding of clincial finishing is top drawer and his tactical sense will not be limited by the apparent player pool. He will find the right talent to fill in the blanks (4-3-3?) if he must, but he will not be constrained by a desire to cater to his veterans. I think that the team will play dramatically different in six months than it did last month.

37. WeatherManNX01 says:

Yup, and that’s exactly why I asked that question, because now I’m curious to see what will happen with the team.

38. Tom says:

Who caved? Klinsy or Sunil?

39. kimo says:

It’s starts with developing talent at a young age. Reyna, and I was doubtful, has actually setup a fantastic system / blue print (Ajax carbon copy) for training the youth levels. I think Klinsman implements it in some form. People don’t realize how important Klinsman was to transforming German soccer from its static form to where it is today. He implemented a country wide training discipline from the youth levels and its now beginning to pay dividends.

I for one am excited.

40. Ken says:

Alright let’s see what he can do. With BB we know what we had. With JK we can reach higher or drop deeper but I’m excited for the ride.

41. Good News! Hey all… its better than Ruud Gullit which us LAG fans got stuck with, when at the time we wanted Klinsmann. Im all for this move today. He is going to bring a different flavor to the team that I think will be helpful.

42. Good luck and wishing Klingsman and USMNT success. Oh, and although I voted for Guus, I’ve been in love with Jurgi since he did that flying header for a goal in the 1994 World Cup.

43. brad says:

hes the best choice…

44. DennisB says:

A choose your own adventure rant for August 11:

Klinsmann needs to be (fired / coach for life)! I can’t believe that he used a (4-4-2/4-3-3/4-5-1) when our players (succeeded / failed) in that formation before. And what was he thinking putting Donovan (up front / back in the midfield / on the bench)?!?!?! This just goes to show that Bob Bradley was (not so bad / awful). I also can’t believe he called up (Bornstein / Torres / Adu) but left out (Bedoya / Lichaj / Chandler)! What a (schmuck / genius)! At least we (beat / looked ok against) Mexico this time! (FIRE / All Hail) Klinsmann!!!!

45. Tony in Quakeland says:

Well,he’s the guy. May as well getting excited. If he can’t do the job, plenty of time to be upset later.

46. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Bob Bradley deserves a lot of thanks/credit I hope he does well whereever he goes.

Klinsman was ‘the consensus’ choice. I’m not confident he can get done what he thinks he can get done; but as Freddie says his naming will energize the base for a while anyway.

47. Soccer Steve says:

I think Klinsman, whether you think he has accomplished that much or not, was the logical choice for the position. His familiatity with MLS and american youth soccer in general makes him a smart choice.

What I think has been lossed in this discussion is an acknowledgment that his natural heritage may have played a role. Specificly the influx of german/american eligible soccer players that we have on the horizon. It is a keen move to have a coach who these youth players will be comfortable with while they make their decisions on who to play for.

48. Jab says:

Guys, give Sunil a break. After all, being the US Soccer Pres is his second full-time job.

49. FattyMatty says:

Managing club players on a day to day basis is much different than managing a National team. The egos of superstar players and a congested fixture list are just two examples. Although he failed at Bayern, I don’t think you could use that as a precursor of what he will do with the US.

As mentioned, who he brings on board regarding his staff will be critical to the success of the USMNT.

50. Isaac says:

I’m really not so sure I like this hire. I understand Klinsmann is a legend with Germany, but, to me, he seems to be great recognizing his players’ talents and skills, but not so much at seeing how those things translate into tactics, which was Bob’s strength. Bob didn’t really care about a player’s talent level so long as they gave him what he needed tactically, which is why Robbie Findley was used for so long, and to good effect for a few matches too( YES, that includes the England match). That’s not me saying Bob was a tactical master. No no no – he was good at making cohesive systems for his teams in a very short amount of time, but they weren’t made in response to the opponent’s system, and he would be forced to change it up at some point in the game. That being said, it was a strength of Bob’s to be able to change things up in the middle of games to try and turn them around. Again, not always, and not immediately, but he could definitely do it.

I’m not gonna act like I know a ton about Juergen, but the guy didn’t isn’t really tactically savvy like Bob. He just knows who his best players are, which can be enough, but if he gets in a tactical battle with another coach, how would he fare? Not so great, at least not in my opinion.

51. Carlos Navarro says:

Bradley was good on fundamentals but weak on the tactical aspect of the game. Klinsmann is certainly strong on both accounts. I wonder what it took for Gulati to relinquish some of the control that Klinsmann wanted.

If he can lure Jason Kries away from Real Salt Lake to become an assistant, that would be a plus. Kries could eventually be the successor.

52. al17 says:

I don’t care for the way the situation was handled and I like Bob Bradley.

Klinsmann is our National Team Coach and I’m supporting him.

53. dhawk says:

Well said! My thoughts exactly.

54. Adam says:

Gulati is now completely 100% on the hook for the development of the USMNT program. He’s finally got the guy he’s been after for several years. If this fails, Gulati’s legacy of success should be stunted.

55. I get your point, but this is presented like a schizoid rant.

Everyone wants to be coach and GM, but to say that this is a bad thing is akin to making fun of sport, in general.

It would seem more important to say something about the quality of people’s opinions than to mock the fact that they have opinions.

56. Detroit! says:

lol.

57. Will says:

+1!!!

58. Primoone says:

Round of applause for kazoo on the hiring

59. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice another WCup cycle just to shut-up a segment of the fanbase. In this case, however,I don’t even think we are sacrificing. Klinsi knows his sh!t, and three years is time enough to bring in new talent and a new approach to the game.

60. gbott says:

+100000000000000000000000000000

61. Adam says:

No way Kreis’ massive ego allows him to be an assistant.

62. torporindy says:

Bob Bradley did a tremendous job really, but one World Cup cycle was enough.

63. JSmiley says:

Klinsmann gefeuert werden sollte!!!!

64. Detroit! says:

I don’t get this. You really want your country’s team to LOSE, just so you can feel gratified at some undetermined point in the future when some guy you never met loses his job?

I’m no fan of Gulati, but I’d rather be proved right and see the Nats win. Hard to say your a fan when you’re actively rooting against your team because you don’t like the management.

65. assocfoot says:

The end of the Michael Bradley nepotism comments for ever!!!

66. Detroit! says:

*proved wrong, that should say…

67. WhoaThere says:

Let me say this, Finally, No more losing youths through the cracks, I’ve seen to many talent players being squandered at the Youth levels and not developed properly, There were few players at our youth that dominated and if with the right development could been an amazing Professional player, but it was a mess at the youth because of favorism and these players were lost. This is coming from someone who has played across the nation. Klinnsman will give us insight on development.

68. Todd says:

Jurgen!Jurgen! he’s the man, if can’t do it, nobody can!!!!!!

69. Paul says:

Gulati’s now all-in on this guy. Not to be a downer, but if Klinsmann doesn’t deliver, in terms of both results and tactical progress, both of them will be gone. A big key will be who else is on the coaching staff.

70. georg says:

Good choice, Klinsmann will bring a new drive to the United States National Team.

71. Dwayne says:

I wonder if Klinsmann gets control of the entire youth system? I vaguely remember that that was the reason he wasn’t hired 5 years ago.

72. Murphy says:

I was thinking they were going to hire Schmid! haha that would have been almost as bad as Bradley. Needed to change things up a little. At least we will see some new ideas on the field. I’m excited.

Plus we have so many Germans on the team, and Klinsmann is not a complete eurosnob who will look down on the US–he still lives in LA, right?

A win vs. Mexico would be nice on Aug 10…

73. Detroit! says:

Agreed. Reyna’s training system might be the brightest spot on the US Soccer landscape right now. Here’s hoping JK becomes another one.

74. Isaac says:

I was just thinkin the same thing – Juergen wanted a lot of power. I wonder if he got it.

75. AJ says:

As a Mexico fan, I’m happy for the US. Klinsmann is pure class. I just hope he’s familiar enough with US soccer to pick the right squad because in my opinion, that’s the biggest challenge for a foreign coach.

76. CA says:

I’m happy to see Klinsmann hired. I know there are questions regarding his tactical abilities as coach, but regardless, hopefully he’ll stress a possession game on the ground. Also, our back line needs a fresh perspective.

Go get em Klinsy!!

77. Adam says:

I agree that he was the only candidate with a high level of experience who also had a grasp of the American landscape.

He’s a highly regarded name (as a player and hopefully as a coach) who gives some instant credibility to the program. Would Rossi have spurned us for Italy so easily had Klinsmann been the man instead of Bradley?

78. Kelly says:

Carlos Queiroz. Bora Milutinovic. Peter Nowak. Thomas Rongen. Jimmy Ryan. Tom Dooley. Roberto Donadoni.

Klinsman’s resume is much thinner than all of these, so on paper, no this isn’t such a good hire.

79. Stephen says:

it’s umlaut.

80. john says:

re: CSD. before i got to your second line, my fingers were ready for some angry typing! haha.

I’m more than hopeful with Klinsmann.

81. Reid says:

I wonder if he gets control of his wardrobe or if its all warmups all the time, maybe that was the original deal breaker.

82. Primoone says:

Stunted…how fitting though. The man is 4’10” with shoes and helmet hairdoo

83. mistadobolina says:

who said Guus was available? Turkey has him locked up.. plus he has to be the most expensive option out there. so not sure if thats the safest option.. Coach Klinsmann was the best option overall and im sure its going to be a good term.

84. Adam says:

I’m not so sure that Klinsmann is going to change that much. Unfortunately, youth player development is a weakness of our system. That’s a change that must occur much deeper. And as long as there is good money to be made, its unlikely to change.

85. mistadobolina says:

i bet there are a few more Chandlers, Jones or Yelldells out there in German club youth systems.. esp. Fabian Herzuler, hope Jurgen can lock them up!

86. yo says:

The guy didn’t fail at Bayern. He lost to Barca in the Champions League when they won that year, and was in 3rd, a few points out of first, in the Bundesliga. The problem was he didn’t get along with the board.

He’s far more accomplished than any American born coach.

87. andrew in tally says:

The most intriguing thing that comes to mind is Donovan’s role under Klinsmann. Is he going to use Landon the same way or is he going to do something different. It will also be interesting to see what he does with our forward pool. Thanks Bob, but it was time for a change. We were going in the wrong direction.

88. Adam says:

True…Although 4’10” is probably being generous…

89. fubar says:

Put down the crack pipe Kelly. Donadoni? Really? Nowak never coached in Europe. And where did Rongen coach in Europe.

And they were such great players…

Epic fail on your part.

90. Kelly says:

There is also the fact that Klinsi has never led a team through a qualifying campaign, coached his only WC team on home soil through a soft bracket and pretty much flamed out in his only club stint.

I’m keen to see how he handles the Latin American crowds, the Third World stadia, the cow pastures, the sub-par refs, the shoestring budgets and the shallow talent pool.

91. pancholama says:

There were also issues about him being under a sponsorship deal with adidas via the German team, and the USMNT having Nike as their sponsor, he not being able to break the deal with adidas in a financially sound way. One of several flies in the ointment.

Overall it’s a good thing. Time will tell, the proof will be in the pudding.

92. Eric says:

Only reason that we had what seemed to be-big name friendly after big named friendly- was to pay to hire Klinnsman. Book it.

93. KellerFan says:

LOVE this. I’m glad Gulati finally backed away from his stupidity five years ago.

94. DC Josh says:

Klinsmann has a great playing career, but he is untested at the coaching level.

Was taking Germany to the semi-finals on their home turf a success? Would he have gone as far without Joachim Low as his assistant? He was a failure at Bayern Munich.

I also don’t like using foreign coaches for national team coaches. Keep it in the family! But that’s just me.

Only time will tell…

95. Neumannator says:

The future of US Soccer is recognizing and evaluating our Hispanic player pool. So hiring a German helps how exactly?

96. KutamaObama says:

I can wait for the Klinsmann bashing to start……the very people that wanted Bob to get fired and Klinsmann hired, will turn on Klinsmann, when the results don’t go their way. Damn, we soccer fans have an insatiable appetite when it comes to our soccer team, we are never satisfied. Even if we won the World cup, we will find something to complain and moan about…..just my two cents on it.

97. BumpBailey says:

If they gave Klinsman the reigns we get better. If he is just a puppet for USSF (I don’t think so) then nothing changes.

I do think he is the best guy for the job. He is going to have a better understanding of the American player than any other Euro coach and at this juncture we need a foreign coach. What can any American coach really offer these guys? With our best talent playing overseas for coaches with much greater pedigree than any America coach. How can an American coach make them better, be respected? We need more from a coach than Bob/any American Coach can offer. The talent now exceeds the coaching in this country currently. Klinsy has been to the promised land. He knows what it takes to win a World Cup. He instantly has credibility with the players. I am not saying that we will win it but, I do think he will take us to a higher level than any other can at this time.

98. fubar says:

Let’s be serious here. The SYSTEM that everyone is referring to is NOT Reyna’s. Read the fine print on the US Soccer document and you will find it was written by a PhD in youth sports.

USSF merely put his name on it to give it some legitimacy.

99. Brian says:

JA! JA! JA! JA! JA! JA! JA!

100. Jeff Awesome says:

My dream is that Sigi Schmidt would be the assistant.

101. MulletIBC says:

ohh you mean the way Guardiola was given the reigns of Barcelona when his only coaching experience was Barcelona B? you have to give people a chance man.

102. josh says:

Ummm… yeah, I am with fubar on this one…

103. BumpBailey says:

THE GREAT KAZOO……. Awesome!

104. Gloers says:

This has been on the books for a while and I would bet why the Mexico friendly was booked for when it was. This was a decision made months ago.

105. Loren Danzis says:

I’m surprised Klinsmann accepted. The team looked stronger in 2007 than today. And it was stronger: the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup title, 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup final, first place in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, first place in its World Cup group and a Round of 16 berth. Exceeding (or even meeting) those results seems very unlikely over the next four years. Klinsmann may the best choice today, but in four years we’re going to look back on 2007-2010 as better years. Klinsmann’s timing is off.

106. MulletIBC says:

Yup. This sounds about right about the American Soccer fan.

107. pancholama says:

Yeah, and he speaks very good English. His wife is American, he lives in California, where he is raising his children. Our national team training center is IN California. There are so many intangibles that we can’t measure now, that will unfold over time – but on paper, and as far as location, location, location – this is a really, really good move for our national team program.

Oh yeah – and he loves coaching. And he won a world cup as a player, and the Euros in ’96, with the German national team, scored over 100 goals. And played in the Bundesliga, Serie A, French Ligue 1 and the English Premiership – not too shabby.

I hear he practices yoga and meditates too – generally not a guy without, ahhhh how you say – insight and wisdom into human nature and the finer pints of the game?

He is our guy. Let’s take it, day by day, day by day – good things are coming, good things.

108. Brian says:

You’re talking nonsense. If anything, Rossi spurned us when Arena was coach, but really Rossi had been spurning us since the U16 level.

109. pancholama says:

Hmmmm – slip of the tongue – meant to say finer POINTS – but the Germans do love their pints (of beer, jah!) too……

110. Joe B NYC says:

111. Cairo says:

Thanks Bob, but one cycle is enough for any national team coach. People are worried about his club coaching stint at Bayern, but coaching the Nats is a completely different job. Very little player development involved–it’s just about choosing players and putting them in the right places. I hope Klinsy opens up things up to competition. We might end up with the same team, but it will be good to get a fresh eye on the possibilities. To get better in the short term, though, he needs to find some big, fast German Center Back that was born in the US while his parents were visiting Disney World 23 yrs ago.

112. ANM says:

The mockery isn’t of the fact that fans have opinions. DennisB is mocking those segments of the fanbase who choose to express those opinions in the most hyperbolic and nonsensical way.

113. D-Bo says:

I think this is a great move. Maybe he can have a second in command similar to Loew, but I really look forward to what he can do with the youth system.

114. Dumbest comment of the year, way too hyperbolic.

115. ELAC says:

The man wanted the job. USSF wanted him, too.

Now, he has to make it happen.

116. sushant says:

Gulati had to cave. My bet is that Klinsi has asked for the same thing the last 2 times and Gulati wouldn’t give it. But seeing the U17s struggle an the U20s fail probably convinced him that US Soccer needs a new approach.

Also, I think the success of P.sundhage with the USWNT probably gave Sunil some reason to think changing the coach might change the whole direction of the program.

117. Judging Amy says:

Kelly makes a great point.

I think Bradley had to go. I hope Klinsmann’s tenure goes great.

I have some questions about his lack of experience though. He hasn’t had a coaching job since a while back. Why does no one else want him?

Klinsmann’s coaching experience amounts to a total of 3 years since 2004. I understand the enthusiasm but I think its clearly a risky move.

Maybe risk is what is needed with the US program though.

118. AcidBurn says:

That sound you hear is Jermaine Jones’ shouts of approval/joy all the way over to this side of the pond. No doubt that Klinsmann drops him in front of the back 4 and cuts him loose.

119. Dan says:

I hope his first move is to bring JOB back into the fold.

link to alarmingnews.com

120. Brian says:

Don’t you get it? Gulati and the USSF were way more desperate. It’s not like Klinsmann was doing anything besides effing up the already effed up TFC. Klinsmann has wanted this since he stepped down from 2006. It was never about not wanting the job, it was about the power he gets (control over the youth teams, development academies, etc.). I just wonder how much power Gulati, Flynn and the rest of the USSF board gave to Klinsi.

121. Uh….. Buzz Killington?

122. RK says:

Bob Bradley is available.

123. Mark says:

Great move….The key here is Offense, which he was able to establish in Germany and hopefully TFC in the second half.

124. sushant says:

BB tactically savvy? Wow, I need to take a moment.

If BB is so good at making changes during the game, why didn’t he make those changes to start with? The biggest affect a Manager has on the game is the starting lineup (formation, etc).

Think Rico Clark (starting over M.Edu) vs Ghana in WC

Think J.Bornstein (brought in as a sub with 0 minutes of playing in the GC and a lack of playing time as a left fullback at his club) vs Mexico in GC

This is not to say that BB is a bad coach. Actually, I’m a fan of the job BB has done. But to say that BB was a more tactically savvy coach over JK is not support by the facts.

125. RangerSG says:

I’m so tired of the “Klinsmann only succeeded because of Loew” meme. Loew was only given the bench coach job because of Klinsie. How many Managers make all the bench decisions? Answer: Not many. Sir Alex hasn’t since he left Aberdeen.

Klinsmann inherited a Germany program in complete disarray after a Euro 04 where they tied LATVIA. Yeah, that’s “Germany” alright. Without a qualifying campaign and zero expectations, they finished third and brought in an entirely new culture and infusion of youth.

As far as Bayern goes. The problem at FC Hollywood was control. He was promised total control, and Beckenbauer took it back. He was also promised time to revamp the lineup and style of play at Bayern. But Kaiser reneged on THAT as well. IOW, he was set up to fail. Then Franz used his Kicker column to ‘educate’ the media on why all the success for Germany in 06 belonged to Loew.

Yeah, that’s where that meme came from, their power struggle. It’s carp. Head Coaches are just as responsible for who they bring in as assistants as who they use as players.

Am I all-in on this choice? No. But I do think it was time for a change. And it was time to look beyond MLS. As for the “keep the US job in the US” meme. Why? Does England? Did Russia, or Turkey? Or Portugal? Look at all the Italian, Dutch, Argentinian and Brazilian national team coaches. A foreign-born coach is not a travesty. At least we have one that knows and respects the US player pool.

126. Sensa says:

Finally…this should have been done right after the World Cup. It would have been a classier way for Bob B. to go out.

127. Eric says:

I’ve heard some very good things about him.

128. Biebs says:

“When U.S. Soccer did not want to concede as much power over the national-team structure as Klinsmann wanted, Gulati turned to Bradley.”

So did Klinsmann get full control?

129. BlueWhiteLion says:

i certainly hope he exceeds your exceptions. And accedes to your acceptions. or expects your expectations . . . wait, I am getting so confused! :)

130. “I’m really not so sure I like this hire.”

Too bad Sunil didnt phone you for your opinion before he moved ahead with things.

Bob wasnt tacticaly savvy. Starting your son in mid just because he’s your son isnt tacticaly savvy. Putting Jonathan Bornstein in ANY game isnt tactically savvy.

“Gee, you dont need any talent to play on this team. Havent you heard I am Savvy with the tactics?” – BB

131. Kelly says:

Not really no.

All those men have European pedigrees and each of them have accomplished more in the coaching ranks than Klinsman. Novak has a domestic title to his credit, Rongen as well, Juergen not so much. And each probably has more “familiarity” with the American game than him too, far outstripping his two stints as “advisor” to two MLS teams, one being the incredibly odious Toronto franchise.

Klinsman’s resume falls far below that any of those I listed. So on paper, no Klinsman isn’t the slam dunk that many are making him out to be. He may be genius personified, but his track record doesn’t prove it.

132. my point exactly, it’s a real buzz kill to come into a thread of opinions and give an opinion that other opinions are merely contradictory and meaningless. Rather than dither, I will say that I like Klinsmann as a choice and am interested in seeing what will happen. I reserve the right to change my opinion as facts present themselves and I will express my opinion accordingly, without regret, so long as Ives has a comment box underneath his stories.

133. gary says:

Only if he continues to be mb90 under another coach. If he struggles find a spot under JK the comments will continue to be attachex to him. Sorry. Thats just how its going to be.

134. Americans against Diving says:

I’m just glad we had a plan in place before they let Bradley. the last thing I wanted to see was Bradley fired followed by 5 very public rejections from Huddick, Lippi, Klinsman, etc.

135. BlueWhiteLion says:

+0252
    ü

it is different number combos for different letters and marks.

136. Karol says:

Klinsmann singing and dancing with the “Village People”

It`s a tough man`s paradise

Take a final ride in America

There is a rainbow in your eyes

from the other side of America.

link to myvideo.de

137. BlueWhiteLion says:

something got cut off. alt + 0252

138. USA says:

All of this infatuation with Klinsmann is completely misguided. He did well in charge of Germany, but most Germans attribute that to Joachim Lowe, who has brought them even higher ever since. Not to mention that they benefited from being the host country. His only other job was with Bayern Munich, whom he ran into the ground and didnt even last a season, because of which he can never get another job in Germany. I support him because hes now the national team coach, but hes not particularly qualified and has never proven anything, and anyone who thinks he can do something with this player pool that Bradley couldnt is just confused.

139. Waldie says:

No, the World Cup is far off

140. dan says:

key for Jurgen will be his assistants…. they will make him or get him fired in the long/short run.

141. seat belts please for a very bumpy ride coming up

142. TGA says:

oh great…another washed up Euro…just kidding…best move ever in the history of mens national team

143. Jamie says:

Hiddink eurodouche

144. hogatroge says:

While I’m sure he’ll be in testing mode, I doubt any coach doesn’t care about winning his first game, or any game ever for that matter

145. Mario in QT says:

Not sure how many of you would agree but for me one of the most frustrating facts about our MNT is the lack of a finishing touch. They are always able to create scoring chances but fail miserably on that last touch.

Klinsi in his plaing days was a masterful finisher. If he can impart some of that mastery in our players he will suceed without a doubt.

Good luck to us all!!

146. hogatroge says:

Consulting is not coaching… Plus, TFC is moving in the right direction, but simply too late.

147. bryan says:

ü = ALT + 0252

148. jloome says:

Carlos Quieroz is a formerly great youth coach. He’s failed whenever he’s been given the top job with adults — the u20 Portugese team (so laden with talent it was hard for it to fail) is his only success. So why would you include him on this list? Working a lot doesn’t make you good at what you’re doing, it just makes you diplomatic.

149. bryan says:

i’m excited for the change. will be interesting to see how this works out. should be great for our German-Americans, and future German-Americans. i wish him the best of luck. anyone know who folded in terms of control of the whole team???

150. FireBOBNow! says:

they can’t be any more spectacularly unimaginative and unimpressive as Mike Sorber and Jesse Marsch so whoever they might be it will be an improvement.

151. David says:

Guardiola was given the job after getting Barcelona B promoted to the second division and his promotion to senior team manager was immediate. Jurgen’s main managing achievement was 5 years ago and he hasn’t done anything but take away from it since, bad spell at Bayern and a consulting job for Toronto FC?

What I am saying is Gulati has kind of had Jurgen blinders on for 5 years. He would have been an exciting appointment 5 years ago but looking at his body of work since is less than inspiring.

152. Alex says:

If he starts calling up his son SO HELP ME GOD!!

jk

153. RailhawkDomination says:

I like the hire but I fear that the fan base already has this idea that the USMNT will suddenly become a top 10 team in the world. I hope the expectations aren’t so high that they become an impediment to the team’s progress.

154. mug says:

I’m really looking forward to his line-up selections over the next few friendlies. I’m also excited to see his choices of younger players that are coming through the ranks. Where does this leave, Bornstein, Feilheiber, and some of the other Bob regulars who were always questionable selections? What about young Michael Bradley? What about our new crop of German-Americans who are starting to blossom? This is going to be exciting, something that Bob unfortunately never was.

155. Karol says:

Loew was regarded as the tactical genius behind WC 2006 because he played 10 men behind the ball against Argentina and managed to beat them in the penalty shoot-out. Loew himself has never coached a big club and his standing is solely based on his time as Germany`s coach. And it was Klinsmann who installed him as his assistant. And it was Klinsmann who was committed to attacking football. Loew has massively benefitted from young players who came up over the last three years. But as a coach, Loew is IMO overrated.

156. Randy says:

Bayern also

157. Eric says:

YES! Looking forward to having Klinsmann aboard!

158. mistadobolina says:

is this beavis? fire!..fire!.. fire ‘em!

159. Javier says:

160. Larth Gagerway says:

I was on the Sampson II bandwagon.

161. William H says:

He’s coming from the US soccer league

162. FireBOBNow! says:

hmmm. and who hired Joachim Loew? oh, yeah … that would be Klinsmann.

and who worked with the German FA and the Bundesliga to conceptualize and implement an overhaul of a stale and stagnant German Youth Development System? oh, wait … that was Klinsmann too.

and who brought ground breaking new consultants in fitness and sports psychology into the GNT fold transforming the team into the fitest team at two successive world cups and improved what was already a good winning mentality? you guessed it … Klinsmann too.

and ran Bayern into the ground? i think the clusterf**k of egomaniacial ex-Bayern players around Hollywood FC was doing quite a nice job of that before and subsequent to Klinsmann being there …

163. qax says:

say, that ALT thing is a pretty cool trick…Copy+Paste also works like a charm :)

164. tmac363 says:

Rongen couldn’t even handle the u-20’s. Nice try.

165. Felix says:

This move will placate all the idiot fans who think this overrated coach will bring home the glory. He’s done nothing for TFC, he’s done nothing for Bayern Munich and the brains behind the ’06 semifinal run has shown to be Joachim Low, not Klinsi. But he’s going to turn the USMNT into superpowers and revolutionize the youth system and we’ll be producing Messis and CR9s in no time.

Instead of pushing for manager with a sound plan, good tactics, and charisma to lead and inspire, we got Klinsi. Way to go idiots.

166. FireBOBNow! says:

well the bar isn’t set very high currently with Mike Sorber and Jesse Marsch … neither of whom were great players with top level Euro experience and neither of which had one whit of top level coaching experience before becoming USMNT assitants. Sorber was a career MLSer and an assistant for the U of St Louis (wow, spectacular) and Marsch was also a career MLSer with ZERO coaching experience prior to being hired by Bob.

so whoever Klinsmann picks can’t be worse than what we’ve had.

167. Jacob says:

Screw Nike, this would be a perfect time to move to Adidas and rebrand to USA with new kits and logo.

168. Fussballer24 says:

I lived in Germany post 2006 World Cup. Juergen Klinsmann is given a lot more credit than we seem willing to give him here. While the current coach is given credit for being the tactical mind of the team, which is accurate, comparing anyone the two is a bit like comparing Bill Belicheck to Bill Parcells. Both are great coaches in their own right, and you’d be happy to have either.

JK deserves credit for overhauling the entire system, as a head coach/manager should. Not all Head coaches in the NFL or College are the best X’s and O’s (tactics) on their staffs but the team is still successful.

JK was known for overhauling the German system to introduce constant motion one of the building blocks of success that the Dutch Teams and Barcelona have built upon.

In addition JK included many of the immigrant communities in the “national team system”. Germany has a huge problem integrating immigrant communities in their national fabric. JK was able to do that by reaching out to the Eastern European Immigrants, Turkish immigrants (Turks in Germany are very Similar to Mexicans in the US) and other immigrants in Germany.

There is no reason to assume this coach won’t incorporate the immigrant groups (hispanics) into his team.

Finally JK himself is an immigrant to the US. He chooses to live here with his american wife and children. We should embrace him as an american coach.

169. Matt says:

Let’s get Timmy Chandler back in the fold.

170. Rendon says:

euro****

171. Kevin says:

Not happy. This guy will not take us ANY further than BB did. Guus Hiddink or another coach like that would have been a good foreign choice. Otherwise, I would have preferred an American coach.

172. skinnyj says:

Dude, whaaaat? As any RSL fan can tell you, Fast Rob was most effective brought in as a 60 or 70th min sub to run at tired defenses. His stats when he starts vs when he comes off the bench is staggeringly different. Findley may have pressured Kreis to start him in RSL games in ’10, but Findley didnt have any leverage with the Nats. Put me in coach!

173. Felix says:

That started before Klinsmann, around 2000 after the Euros to be exact. Slow down.

174. VinceN says:

über cool

175. Herb says:

Thank You…Not only Germany, but Munich and Toronto as well. And he is familiar with US superstar Donovan.

This is the ideal move

176. Felix says:

Yeah, he’s a real stud. Its a good thing we picked him up now, cause every big club/NT in Europe were knocking down his door……………………………………………. (dripping with sarcasm)

177. Paul Thomas says:

Hookup with Corona Beer?

178. Anonymous says:

Kelly, first of all, it is Nowak. Secondly, he only has a domestic title as a player and he won this in a very sub-par league. Jurgen was finishing his last World Cup at the time and had played for top teams in almost every top league in Europe. He has won everything as a player and changed a failing German team that is still thriving because of his revolution.

Rongen, is there something wrong with you!? He couldn’t even QUALIFY for the U-20 WC. The guy has gotten by on “I’m Dutch” and “right place, right time” for far too long!

The only reason Jurgen has been out of work is because he takes jobs on his own terms.

179. Kevin says:

When you have the players Bayern Munich has in the Bundesliga, and you finish 3rd in the table, it is a failure. It’s that simple.

180. vinceN says:

ü°┴E╓≡▓♥£g#*ÜÜÜ╕<Ã…Q▲ⁿ

181. Aaron in StL says:

Our boys do good work across the globe, I’m sure we’ve got little dribblers running all around the world waiting to be found

182. solles says:

Klinsmann didn’t “flame out” at Bayern Munich, everyone lazily assumes so because of the short time frame he was in charge. It doesn’t take much research to figure out he left because of differences with the club, Bayern on the field was pretty solid in his time, though they didnt win anything.

183. chris says:

He was the best choice, not saying much. It was time for a change and that’s the only reason we might improve. Jurgen wont improve any youth aspect unless he gets more inner city kids to like the game. The nt will improve with time when it gets more popular

184. Aaron in StL says:

Hah… you and the guy on the 10-day meth binge. I’ll jump on that one

185. pancholama says:

186. kimo says:

NO !@#$%^& sherlock!!! It’s the Ajax system as I so clearly stated!!!

187. LA Dave says:

Was hoping for him to bring his flair to the Galaxy after Arena’s likely flame out, but just as happy to have him with USA.

188. RB says:

Funny that you would mention all those but leave out “no chance of communication problems with Jones, Chandler or other German-born/raised players”. Just sayin’.

189. Bill says:

europunk

190. chris says:

I forgot not supporting a euro coach means you like them

191. fan of the football says:

Maybe he can get J Loew ala 2006 WC. I hear he’s decent and the German NT pretty much runs itself anyway.

192. jpc says:

I hope it works out, and all the Klinsmann Sycophants are proved right; But, I’m not sure there is any indication based on his past that he’s a better coach or talent evaluator than Bradley. I just hope he can at least have a Maradona like effect and inspire the players

193. Riley says:

In world football, Germany is the team to beat. If anybody knows how to beat them, it’s Klinsmann

194. Karol says:

“Germany has a huge problem integrating immigrant communities in their national fabric. JK was able to do that by reaching out to the Eastern European Immigrants”

Easterm European immigrants are well integrated into German society and have been a part of the national team since the 1920s. Klose and Podolski started to play under Klinsmann`s predecessor Voeller. I don`t think Klinsmann put a special emphasis on players from immigrant communities.

195. cmils says:

When does the ‘Klinsmann haters’ campaign begin

196. kimo says:

Felix,

JK was instrumental in focusing on this aspect. He was the driving force for getting the focus to shift on youth development.

197. WhoaThere says:

Klinnsmann Will bridge that gap from the u 20- to the Mens more Smoothly by picking the right staff that will acknowledge the goal he is trying to do, just like Reyna said Implement a system. I’ve played over sea against youth teams, they don’t care about the scoreline even though they do care about winning, they will single out a player for playing the system the club is known for and praise the kid, knowing the development is in the right way. Kllinnsmann will bring the philosophy of bridging the gap on how to become a better professional. I saw Justin Mapp play u20 or u23 when he was in spain, was killing it he was the captain and for sure i thought he was the next dude but that development is missing there’s a missing gap there. Look at other countries they are thriving from u20 to the full team. The last coach to help that development well was Clive Charles RIP. He was pumping out legit players after legit players for few years at the u 23 level.

198. So Happy says:

Don’t believe you. Be honest. You know you are hoping Klinsi fails and at the first whiff of a set-back you will be attacking him mercilessly trying to convince the world that Bob Bradley was a great coach who did a wonderful job player pool that was not very good. Why are BB supporters so full of hate?

199. Jamie says:

I totally did that too, but I didn’t post it.

200. GG says:

There will be Latin and Canadian connections, no doubt

201. The Second Gunman on the Grassy Knoll says:

Great comment. You know Klinsmann has been around the US for a fair amount of time – specifically recent years. He’s better suited than any other European candidate as he’ll have a decent understanding of the US system. That being said, is his lack of coaching experience a concern? Sure. But someone mentioned that sometimes you have to take a chance. I think this is the right time to do that. Besides… if anything, you know he’ll command respect in the dressing room. He’s effing Klinsmann!!! Dude was nasty.

202. danny says:

I’m happy about this as well. Although, its surprising there aren’t more anti-MJ comments- guess you need to go to espn for that. My crazy prediction: Michael Bradley is named captain by Klinsman before the next world cup. You heard it here first.

203. solles says:

pedant

204. RB says:

“Would Rossi have spurned us for Italy so easily had Klinsmann been the man instead of Bradley?”

You have reason to doubt Rossi’s explanation of his choice?

205. chris says:

F**king idiot I’m far from it. I’m a fan of college soccer, playoffs, no pro/ rel, allstar game, the draft, I go to every usmnt game in tampa, I watch every mls game I can, I have no allegiances to any european team but I guess that means I love europe.

206. bayonetbrant says:

“He’s far more accomplished than any American born coach.”

That’s setting the bar kind of low, don’t you think? :)

207. EAscott says:

He lead the Germans to a third place finish at a time when the German team had hit an all time low. They had just failed to get out of the group stage in the previous Euro – expectations were very low for that team. After the world cup, I recall, he chose to step down, but in a poll, something like 90% of German fans wanted him to stay on…

208. solles says:

So Yelldell and Chandler are why (or part of why) Klinsi was hired?

Pfffft.

209. DCUPedro says:

Ahh, and we get to the heart of anti-Bradley hysteria. His name is Bob and he doesn’t wear Italian suits.

210. DennisB says:

I am all for freedom of speech and opinion and whatnot, but the point I was making is that most of the (air-quote) “fans” I see on here are just busy making rants and know very little about soccer, at least based on the apparent depth of their understanding. Personally I don’t care who is the coach, I want to see the program succeed and move forward. If that means JK, awesome. If that means Chad Ochocinco, I’d be fine with that too, provided it worked out. But there seems to be a large population segment that believes the only way we can move forward is by hiring a foreign coach, and that an aging former striker who managed not to destroy a soccer super-power in his only international managing stint so far is somehow the second coming of Sir Alex Ferguson on the international level, are sure to be disappointed no matter what happens unless we win a World Cup. Which, according to the popular opinion I read here, should be followed with a prompt firing of JK so he doesn’t get stale. I am sure of one thing…it should be an interesting ride, as Klinsmann is almost certain to enrage a sizable portion of the US fans with his “my way or the highway” approach. Not intended to be a buzz kill, just an humorous observation of the “fans” fair-weather approach.

211. bayonetbrant says:

This might be the best and most rational comment I’ve seen on this story all day. I gotta say, I completely agree.

212. solles says:

I think you need to learn more about Klinsi’s past stated opinions on US Youth development, not to mention research his time leading Germany and the changes he implemented with youth deveopment there, and learn about what caused his USA hiring to take so long to begin with…

really, you just dont know what you’re talking about, sorry.

213. solles says:

Klinsmann was NOT a failure at Bayern, please sto being lazy and do some research.

214. Rudy P. says:

Toronto is looking good right now, it is a matter of time before they a contender in the East

215. RB says:

Well if we’re going to nitpick where meaning is obvious, when did Toronto (and Vancouver and soon Montreal, for that matter) become part of the US?

216. solles says:

Please define “he ran Bayern into the ground”. Do you know what you’re talking about?

217. T Bone says:

even better…not that Canada is a superpower, but he knows how to beat the Conca-team as well

218. KEV says:

I think this move is great and a long time coming. Those who quesiton his coaching history, I believe that one thing that led to the tiff with Bayern Munich involved him traveling back and forth from the US. They wanted him German-based. Based on this, maybe he has not entertained other offers because of the travel away from his home in LA. I have read that he loves it here. I also think this is the job he truly wants and he is the only foreign coach that I know of that truly wants to transform soccer in this country – not here just for a paycheck. He knows our players and system very well. I hope Sigi becomes the assistant! I am a long time US fan and I feel that this move is one that will take us to that next level. We saw a glimpse of what kind of counterattacking team we can be vs. Spain and Brazil in ’09. That is the direction we need now.

219. 'ole says:

Not Likely. Good thing its only a prediction and not fact. If My memory recall is correct…wait of course it is correct. In 2010 WC Klinsy was on a pregame show and was asked what the USA need to do to win. He said that the USA stars/best players needed to step up to win. He said they were Donovan, Howard, and Dempsey. He said MB90 was not included in the best the US has to offer group. This to me sounds like jurgi is not impressed with ol captain America MB90. Not saying he wont be on the team…4th or 5th in the cm depth chart sounds about right.

220. RB says:

Right, because as everyone knows, you have to be Latino yourself to recognize good soccer skills in a young Latino player. How we all enjoyed that Neymar highlight from the other day is a complete mystery. And certainly a male coach, for example, could never lead a women’s team to a WC championship, or anything like that.

221. SurfGuyI says:

Well, I wonder if Jürgen will bring in compadre
    Martin Vasquez? Even though he just signed to work with Los Alamitos’s own, MikeE Munoz & Real Salt Lake’s Development Academy & Grande Sports World in AZ . . .

222. Northzax says:

I love this insult. You may have noticed we now have a European manager. And criticizing that makes one a ‘euro-whatever’? How’s that work, again?

223. RB says:

I agree!

224. DCUPedro says:

Prediction: If, as you say, we win the world cup, people will NOT find something to complain and moan about. Just the other 98 cents on it.

225. RB says:

“he’s done nothing for Bayern Munich and the brains behind the ’06 semifinal run has shown to be Joachim Low, not Klinsi.”

Boy does this argument die hard.

226. As just one example of his changes, I fully expect him to seek out a lethal finisher. Bob always wanted a speedster up top to stretch the D with a long ball, but because our midfield didn’t have an effective system for breakout, the striker was usually back in his own half trying to hold the ball from defenders. Klinsi will likely prefer to keep the speed on the flanks and skill at top center. This could be a boon for Dempsey, or it could be good for someone like Salgado or Shea (who looked nervous on for USMNT but has potential).

227. 25-9-9 record at the healm of Bayern is running it into the ground?

Hes not qualified and has never proven anything some say?

My God! Some people are just friggin pessimistic a**holes.

228. one can only hope

229. Edwin in LA says:

I don’t know where you go this? Pep got Barcelona B or Barcelona Atletic depending on the year, to the Segunda B, which is the 3rd level of professional futbol in Spain.

It goes like this”

1st) La Liga
    2nd) Segunda Division
    3rd) Segunda B
    4th) Tercera Division.

Pep took over in 2008, that’s when Barca B went from Tercera to Segunda B, then in 2009-2010 season, Peps’ 2nd season in charge of 1st team Barca, Luis Enrique is the one that got them to the 2nd division in Spain after 2 seasons, he barely missed it his 1st year, top 2 get promoted and 3rd and maybe 4th go to playoff I think?

230. Kelly says:

I had it right the first time.

Secondly, Nowak has domestic title as manager of D.C. United, and while MLS may be “sub-par”, it’s one more title than Klinsman has. Rongen as well.

Thirdly, this is a list I threw out off the top of head on the first comment from John F wonder if there were others with European experience and knowledge of the US game and writing no other names came to mind. Well there’s a whole bunch of coaches out there with more of each than Klinsman brings to the table.

Fourthly, John F said “on paper” this was a good hire. I am pointing out that there are many others with much more experience “on paper” than Klinsman possesses. Hiring Juergen may be a hunch, it may be a feeling, it may even be a wish, it may even be inspired but it’s certainly not a choice that is buttressed by evidence.

231. Mike Bassett says:

I agree completely We should change the logo. We should use the Great Seal of the United States instead of some corporate logo that has no meaning.

About switching to Adidas…..For sooo long Nike didn’t listen to the fans and kept coming out with blue or white jerseys. Finally, though, they are listening. I really like the latest red jersey.

232. VinceN says:

obviously Kelly is the dumbest person here since not a single person agrees with his logic…nice try Kelly, but ur clueless…

233. Mike Bassett says:

I wonder if Jozy Altidore, Jonathon Bornstein, Robbie Rogers, and all the other BB boys are feeling nervous now?

I hope they are.

234. JrDosSantos says:

The bar is set pretty low for rational comments because they are mostly strong personal opinions of the subject matter.

That goes for any comments on any blog… people behind the keyboard get fierce

235. Kelly says:

And Klinsman couldn’t even handle Bayern.

236. Eurosnob says:

There’s no question that Klinsmann is an upgrade over BB, but I wonder if he got the control over youth development that they could not agree on before.

237. NYC-kicks says:

Excited to see Klinsmann in. Maybe now the USMNT can enjoy playing the game and have some fun rather than the super seriousness. Would have loved to see Nowak get a shot as well at the top spot. Curious to see if he has the greenlight to revamp the youth system and tap into talent from all walks. Game on USA!

238. curmudgeon says:

Kelly wrote of Klinsman, “. . .pretty much flamed out in his only club stint.”

When he was pushed out at Bayern, he was three points off the pace with five matches to go. In the Champions League, he’d lost only one match: to Barcelona at the Camp Nou. To remind you, this is the Barcelona that won six trophies in a year on the way to being one of the greatest sides in history. Their only loss in Champions League play.

This is “flaming out” to you?

Wow.

239. Beta says:

Uh, that’s sports dude. Don’t like it, then join a knitting club

240. JrDosSantos says:

I would dispute the claim of Turkey having him locked up if this was a few years ago… When they can sign NBA superstars, yeah, i’d say he’s probably getting everything he needs/wants

241. Judging Amy says:

Kelly’s making clear points not based on emotion or wish fulfillment. Those points shouldn’t be controversial to anyone interested in viewing the Klinsmann hire objectively. On the other hand if you are just trying to justify your own biases, well then…

I get the feeling that some people are so excited about the hype of the Klinsmann hire they aren’t capable of entertaining possible questions about Klinsmann’s experience. Nothing personal. Nothing against Jurgen or in support of Bob. Not saying Jurgen will be a bad coach. Just trying to analyze where the basis for “Klinsmann is a slam dunk” hiring comes from.

242. David says:

I stand corrected. Either way he took the team he was in charge of and got them promoted and was rewarded with a promotion from within the organization he was already a part of.

243. Eurosnob says:

Kevin, you sound like a Bayern board member. Bayern finished third last season under Van Gaal, who previously coached Ajax and Barcelona winning the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Cup, UEFA Supercup as a coach with other clubs. Perhaps it was not entirely Klinsmann’s fault.

244. b16 says:

Hire Loew as his assistant coach!

245. b16 says:

Earnie Stewart, John O’brien and Wilmer Cabrera (u-17) as Klinsi’s assistants!

246. Kelly says:

Leaving before completing a single full season is pretty much “flaming” out. His being pushed out is irrelevant, the fact is he couldn’t make it work. A failure with ownership and fans is still a failure to get the job done. Being the coach means making it work in all aspects of the job. If the people who make the hiring and firing aren’t happy, if the people who buy the tickets aren’t happy then one has failed at at least two thirds of the job.

In light of this take on Klinsman’s stay at Bayern, Bob Bradley deserves as much praise as Klinsi. Bradley’s biggest failing was losing management and the fans and being pushed out.

247. Eurosnob says:

Judging Amy, to say that Nowak has more experience than Kinsmann is irrational. Just compare their resumes and you’ll see how silly Kelly’s arguments are.

248. diverz says:

Maybe he’ll teach our players how to dive effectively like all the other good soccer countries out there. Klinsmann was a masterful diver — anyone remember those Tottenham days?

249. VinceN says:

they’re not pessimistic aHOLES…who they are is quite obvious…they’re related to Bob and Michael Bradley…”running Bayern into the ground”….funny how people make these statements and have no clue of what they’re referring to.

250. Wm. says:

Right. I am most interested in seeing who he includes and who he excludes. Likely, of course, that Bradley, Howard, Donovan, Deuce, etc., stay…but what about the Bornsteins and Findleys of the pool?

251. Francois says:

+1 THANK YOU! Final somebody says something, people keep just perpetuating this idea that he didn’t do well that year at Bayern when it’s not true.

252. Wm. says:

For cool Mac people it’s: option u, then type u or another vowel you are interested in having umlauted.

253. Chosun says:

Klinnsman was an amazing player, and I really hope he does well as the new manager. I was quite impressed with what he did with Germany, so I’m hopeful.

That said, I hope we can get Hiddink someday–I think that guy’s a genius.

254. TommyOC says:

+1000

255. Chosun says:

Honestly, I can see what you’re saying about Bornstein (along with other players), but Klinnsman may actually be able to get more out of these guys than BB did. I’m holding out judgement until I actually see them play in a meaningful match.

256. Anonymous says:

Klinsmann turns down jobs like Philadelphia for breakfast. Jurgen has played and coached more high profile games in one season, than Nowak has even dreamed of. ENough said, Kelly. Stop drinking he kool-aid!

257. BK says:

Yeah….I know it may be too early for the details but it says in the blog post that development tripped up previous efforts to bring him on.

Does this mean that USSF have ceded some authority? Or has Klinsmann backed off his demands?

258. Kelly says:

Oaky, let’s!

Peter Nowak: Source; Wikipedia –
    142 games 57-46-25 MLS record in four years, including one MLS Cup and a Supporters Shield.
    U-23 Coach
    USMNT Assistant coach

Juergen Klinsman: Source Wikipedia –
    34 games 20-8-6 Third place WCF 2006 GMNT
    43 games 25-9-9 Bayern Munich
    77 games 45-17-15 total

Klinsman has about half the games Nowak does. Klinsman has a third place finish in the 2006 World Cup, but no domestic titles of any kind to Nowak’s one. It’s safe to say that Nowak’s domestic coaching career is at least equal to that of Klinsman’s – more games vs. a lower winning percentage. Nothing about his domestic record stands out. Nowak on the other hand turned around a moribund DC team and is currently doing the same for the expansion Philadelphia squad. Klinsman had a star-studded Bayern.

On the international front Klinsman has his run to the semi-finals in 2010. (A run on home soil, without qualifying and in a forgiving group.) Nowak has several years as an assistant to Bob Bradley and at the helm of the U-23’s.

While having the better of it at the international level, Juergen is not appreciably better with a domestic side, at least not to the point to be hailed as genius.

The point is, there is really nothing in Klinsman’s record that sets him so far apart from many coaches out there with European experience and a knowledge of the American game to make him a “slam-dunk” choice.

He may lead the US to nirvana, but there is little in his record that would lead one to believe so.

259. Flipper says:

Are you on drugs!!!!!!!!

260. Dennis says:

No hate, just sad resignation

261. Im with you on that one Cammando

262. awchibald says:

Personally, I think this is a wonderful hire for the US.
    I don’t think Klinsi has been given enough credit here for his revitalisation of the German youth system. The reason why Germany was so successful in South Africa was due largely in part to the changes Klinsi made at the youth level. Remember, Germany had the youngest team at the World Cup, yet they produced some of the most exciting football of the tournament. Let’s hope California Klinsi will be able to do the same in the states.

263. Kelly says:

What kool-aid would that be? The flabergasted foof rah coming out of commenterdom is nearly messianic in praise of Klinsman. There’s your real kool-aid.

I’m merely pointing out that there are significant flaws in his managerial history and that there are indeed others out there with similar, if not more, experience.

As I wrote, he may be just the thing, but there is certainly no reason to go whole-hog in adoration of his Blondness. There are holes in his swing.

264. Absolutely no reason for a 21-year-old supremely talented young forward who has 12 goals in 39 appearances to be worried. If JK doesn’t call in Altidore it only proves what many already believe – that he cannot evaluate talent and has made a reputation off of Loew’s ability to coach.

265. Dennis says:

Klinsmann does speak english so that is a clear positive compared to many other foreign coaches. He is in So. Cal. so he probably has seen many very good hispanic youth players along with some very bad ones. I am not sure that will help or hurt the case for including more hispanics on the USMNT or is simply irrelevant. My experience is coaches prefer players they believe can help win games whether their heritage is german, mexican, english, spanish, brazilian or good old american mutt. I expect the ethnicity thing really has little to do with it.

I have seen Klinsmann play and he was a forward who worked constantly to get open in order to be available and one who could finish. The tactical part of that, making runs and getting open, is something he might be able to teach, the finishing thing will still rest largely on the players’ skills.

The US is in big need of a defensive rebuild, I am not sure that is Klinsmann’s forte and hope he can find the assistants to help him do that.

If he wants the US to play a little bit like Barcelona, that might not be bad, but if he tries to force a style of play the US players do not have the skill collectively to pull off (as his choices for coaching at TFC have done) it may be a long few years.

I guess we will learn in the next year how things are going to go.

266. biff says:

Interesting prediction, but I would bet a lot of money ain’t gonna happen. Actually, I am wondering, if Klinsmann does call up Michael Bradley, whether he will accept. I would not be surprised if MB would decline a call-up out of loyalty to good ol’ Pop. And against Mexico Aug. 10, no way will MB get called up. Borussia Moenchengladbach is playing SSV Jahn Regensburg in the first round of the DFB Pokal as I type (Gladbach is up 2:1), and MB did not even make the trip with the team. I think Klinsmann is not going to be calling up players who are not even warming the bench. MB is facing a brave new world and it is not going to be easy for him after years of entitlement: a guaranteed 90 minutes with the team centered around him at the expense of several other deserving players. It was total dysfunctional. Thank goodness it’s finally over.

267. Back in the fold? He’s already in the fold. What the hell else do you want?

268. Turd Bradley says:

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH! I am jumping for joy.

Comparing Klinsman to Nowak is ridic. Nowak gets his players every day and can actually have a real impact bc of that reason.

A National team coach needs to be a great evaluator of talent and needs to be tactically sound. He has a week or two to get his players together and get them on the same page tactically. He also has to understand how his players fit into a system and what is the best option tactically given his players. To compare his days at fc bayern to nowak with the union is absurd. He will be a huge upgrade from myself. I played at princeton in the late 70s and my tactics are on par with my level of playing experience. I also gave Bornstein countless caps and recently started robbie rogers vs spain. That alone should of got me fired. Not to mention my absolute god awful approach to the ghana game last summer.

This is the best day for US Soccer since beating mexico in south korea in 02. Brillant. It can’t get any worse.

269. Being a great player is in no way related to being a great coach. The two are mutually exclusive.

270. john says:

Uh Jacob, ever heard of a contract?

271. Rocco says:

There’s no reason to bring in the big guns for a friendly with Mexico, especially so soon after our loss in a match that meant something and had something tied to it. Time for him to get to see a bit of the shallower end of the player pool to gauge what he is working with.

272. Seth Myers says:

Really? Did you really just compare someone who coached Bayern Munich to someone who coached DC United in 2004? Really?

273. john says:

Seriously? Queriroz? The most under performing “genius” since Ruud Gullit. Milutinovic? Been there, done that. Last time I looked Nowak, Rongen (RONGEN?!!!, are you kidding?), Dooley and Donadoni had coached exactly the same amount of World Cup games as I have. So I guess I should be on your list too?

274. RangerSG says:

LOTS of coaches have flamed out at Bayern. very good ones. But let’s be a little more honest about the FC Hollywood situation than just the stats.

1) He was promised full control of the team, including youth and transfers. Then Bayern reneged.

2) He was promised the chance to change the “culture” at FC Bayern. But before he’d been given a full season to do so (and regressing slightly when a team is in ‘revamp’ mode during a 1st season is NORMAL), Kaiser Franz reneged and said “Win with what you have now.”

It’s fair to say that Klinsi was undermined by the FC Hollywood culture because they did not want their entrenched positions attacked. His “failure” was in taking Kaiser Franz at his word, instead of recognizing that at Bayern, and in Germany, no one can be allowed to have a bigger stature than him.

I’m not all-in on Klinsi. But I think trying to say Peter Nowak would have been a better hire is far-fetched.

275. Kelly says:

I am pointing out that Klinsman’s record gives no reason to think he’s going to be any better at the US job than any number of others out there would be, Nowak being one. Klinsman’s Bayern stint was hardly stellar even with a huge edge in talent and money available. And it certainly is not enough to warrant the thought that he’s going to be a significant upgrade over coaches like Nowak or even Bob Bradley.

276. awchibald says:

Kelly, you admitted yourself that Klinsman has a better international resume than Nowak, so is the US Men’s coaching job suddenly not an international job anymore?

277. Kelly says:

I don’t think Nowak would be a better hire, what I am saying is that there is little evidence to indicate that Klinsman is going to be the significant upgrade that many seem to believe him to be. He’s not the clear cut answer many are touting him as.

Your take on the Bayern job leaves more to question. It sounds like Klinsman may have cut a similar deal with the USSF and could we could be facing a similar breakdown, I would think Gulati to be every bit as grudging at relinquishing his hold as those at Bayern. Does he quit in the middle of the hex if he doesn’t get his way or does he suck it up and qualify?

Look, I really hope the man succeeds, I just don’t see the reason for all the huzzahs and hoorays.

278. TCG says:

Klinsman’s record is a bit of a small sample to draw too many conclusions, but at the very least, he’s had more national team success than Nowak which seems to be a pretty strong argument that on paper Klinsman is better.

I would agree it’s not quite the slam dunk some would claim it to be if you are comparing the two.

279. ilaughandcry says:

the whole failed at bayern thing is just simply not true.

280. Tim says:

While one (being a great player) doesn’t lead to the other(being a great coach), they aren’t mutually exclusive.

281. Kelly says:

What I am pointing out is that Klinsman’s record, even from his German tenure, is not something that makes him the balls to the wall choice. It’s not significantly better than many coaches, including Nowak. John F wrote that no names came to mind that matched Klinsman’s record. I threw out a few names that sprang to mind with similar characteristics, some good some bad. Commenters have taken this to mean that I am campaigning for these men, and for some reason Peter Nowak, in particular.

Not really. I feel objectively, there are real questions about Klinsman many are overlooking in the rush to worship. Like I’ve said I hope he succeeds, but he’s got the same questions to answer as Bob Bradley had, the level of talent is not going to magically increase just because Klinsman is coming.

He is going to have to qualify for the first time in his career, he’s going to have to deal with a largely uncooperative USSF, he’s going to be working in a system that’s a mare’s nest, he’s going to be covering a nation several times the size of Europe let alone Germany, he’s going to face cow pastures for fields, shacks for locker rooms, Azteca, Saprissa, and bags of urine, he’s going to have a much shallower talent pool and a weaker domestic league, he’s going to have pry players loose from clubs not as impressed with the US as with Germany, he doesn’t have Low, and I don’t think a few stints as an “advisor” to teams, especially Toronto, make him an expert with the US “system”.

282. Oranje Mike says:

In regards to our ever changing kits…place the blame on US Soccer. Nike does not dictate what colors our team wears. US Soccer could have asked for a red shirt years ago and Nike would have produced.

283. Oranje Mike says:

I won’t regard Klinsmann as the Messiah of US Soccer but I do like his hiring. Our boys peaked before the World Cup under Bradley. It was time for a change. Personally, I do think Klinsmann will do a good job.

No offense to BB but it was time and there is a coaching vacancy for my Chicago Fire. Hope BB gets a phone call.

284. Kelly says:

That’s all I’m really trying to say.

I wasn’t really comparing him to Nowak alone but that was the name everybody jumped on.

I honestly thought I’d get more stick about Rongen.

285. Kelly says:

Thanks. That’s been my point all along.

286. mouf says:

Magically we will now have elite players. He is for sure a unicorn

287. beachbum says:

rational post. and I agree.

288. Reiter says:

I’m super excited to have klinsmann. not that klinsi is a super genuous, but he is accomplished and if we don’t do well now, we’ll not have bradley to blame but will have to face the fact that are talent level isn’t quite world class. that said, i do think klinsmann has an eye for talent and knows how to develop players.

on a differnt note, why are we already playing mexico again. what’s the point?

289. beachbum says:

Congratulations to Jurgen. I am cautiously hopeful, of course, and interested in the details of the deal re. what power Jurgen received this time.

Considering the way he went about his business these last few years to finally land this job, he better freakin’ deliver, and I’m not talking about a prettier style or any other weak a$$ judgment criteria like that.

Results. Deliver. That’s it.

290. Ricky B. Free says:

1 guy that will for sure be happy is Landon Donovan.

A guy on a mexican sports channel said that it was Donovan that had a heated argument with Bob inside the US bus after they lost to Mexico in the Gold Cup Final.

Jurgen was a logical hire, we will just have to wait and see how he performs as a coach.

I wish him the best because the future of US soccer is in his hands and I want it to be a bright future.

I didnt think Sunil had a nasty side to him. He gave no warning to Bob that this was coming. I think that Bob deserved better than that, he was still calling up guys for the Mexican friendly.

I just wish that US supportes will evaluate Jurgen performance with a cool head, good or bad we just have to give him time.

291. Louis Z says:

good point.

292. Eurosnob says:

Kelly, you are comparing apples to oranges. Nowak never coached the first national team. Nowak never coached in a top flight competition such as the World Cup or UEFA Champions league. No disrespect to Nowak, but the guy, who won the World Cup and European Championship as a player and led his national team to the third place in the World Cup as a coach has a more relevant experience than a guy who is a solid coach in the MLS. As for Klinsmann’s track record, people tend to forget that he took over the German team after it failed to advance from the group in Euro 2004 and led it to the third place in the WC two years later. He also rehauled German youth development system, something I hope they will allow him to do here. He’s been an outspoken critic of the flawed “pay-to-play” youth development system in the US and I happen to agree with him. Time will show if he succeeds or fails, but the reality is that Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola and Hiddink are not knocking on Gulati’s door. What sets Klinsmann apart from other candidates is that he has a vision for the US soccer that goes beyond the confines of first national team. This is why he did not take the job offer last year, because he wanted control over the youth development system. You should try to read a couple articles of what he did with the youth development system in Germany and how it prepares players for German national team. The million dollar question is whether Gulati agreed to hand the control over to Klinsmann or whether Klinsmann backed off his demands.

293. marco says:

Alexi Lalas with angst across his forehead, and sour grapes spilling from his tongue, says Klinnsman must produce now and big. Ignore him Klinsi, Alexi is part of the problem with country club soccer USA. It will take time and precision, do it well Klinsi.

294. beachbum says:

where did Alexi do that? would have been fun to see.

and Klinsmann does need to produce, and pretty darn quickly. we definitely disagree on that.

on Alexi, why is he part of the problem?

295. Rick says:

As the media face of American soccer he is very embarrassing most of the time

296. beachbum says:

I give Alexi plenty of grief, plenty; there are plenty of other faces of US soccer though, come on. he’s one of them, and yes, he’s made me cringe.

anyway, the original remark was “Alexi is part of the problem with country club soccer USA.”

297. TimN says:

I’m very excited about Klinsmann. He is a proven player and coach…yes, I said coach. It seems to have become a popular opinion that the only reason Germany was successful under his tenure was because of Loew. That’s simply not true…and look at it this way, even if you want to say that, doesn’t it say something that he was astute enough to bring him on as an assistant?? People also point to Bayern Munich and say he was a failure there. Absolutely not! When he got terminated, Bayern Munich was 3 points out of first place. The problem at Bayern Munich was unrealistic fan and ownership expectations. The disagreements between Klinsmann and Beckenbauer were also well documented.

Klinsmann brings new ideas and approaches to the USMNT, something that we have been SORELY missing lately. He also knows how to win at the highest levels, and I think can be the one to take the MNT to the upper echelon, instead of being continually mired down in the “also ran” crowd on the world stage.

And you put money on the fact that Mexico has taken notice. I’ll bet we won’t see that swagger that they walked off the field with a few weeks ago in future meetings. They know Klinsmann will be a formidable coach.

298. Dennis says:

Mexico’s record against BB was not very good. A blowout against a B USA team and the last comeback along with the usual wins in Azteca, but against the US in the US not so hot. And until the last match, I don’t think anyone in Mexico thought the US was going to be anything but tough.

299. Dennis says:

It will be interesting to see how the handoff between calls BB made for the Mexico game and JK making a new set will be handled.

300. marco says:

Bob has already received offers from Europe but only if he will bring Bornstein with him.

301. Dennis says:

What evidence is there that any national team coach failed to name any player to his squad for any reason other than the coach’s perception of the talent and how that player would fit into the team?

The problem is cash. Until youth teams are no longer run as a you pay to play franchise, many players from poor families will be overlooked by the teams with the parents to pay for travel, coaches, camps, etc. Many coaches have supported some talented but financially poor kids, but their largese has limits no matter how well-intentioned.

Until the financing issues are resolved by getting MLS teams into player development, little will change. Thankfully, this is beginning to happen and Reyna, Bradley and other national team coaches are among those who pushed in that direction. The development acadamies are a step in the right direction but noone argues that that is enough.

302. Kelly says:

I wasn’t trying to lobby for Nowak. The original poster wrote that he couldn’t think of anybody with European experience and knowledge of the American “system”. I tossed out a few names that leapt to mind – some with more international experience, some with less, some with more American experience, some with less – than Klinsmann. Others leapt on Nowak’s name specifically. I was attempting to point out that while there was a gap between the two, it isn’t as mighty as some are making it out to be. Klinsmann is a better choice, but he is by no means a runaway.

I agree the man has done well as a player, a great player, more so at present than as a coach, but it is rare indeed when such skill carries over to leading a side. Klinsmann, right now, is batting about 50%: a good run with the German National Team and not so hot with Bayern. He’s had scant time to prove himself, true, meaning the jury is still out on his ability to manage.

I also understand that few to none with vast international pedigrees are interested in the US job and not knocking down the doors to replace Bradley, so Gulati’s options were severely limited. Klinsmann did show a marked interested in the program. And his drive is going to be sorely tested by not only the team on the field, but the team behind the scenes. The harder job may be trying to implement his grand vision over the USSF, which, as you said, is indeed the million dollar question.

I hope he succeeds, not only at the full national team, but, as you do, in finding some way to improve the “system” throughout the Fed. He did revamp the Germans, a work which is still reaping rewards. If he can do that for the USSF, it would be wonderful.

Much of today’s OMG! however, is way over the top and there is no way Klinsmann is going to live up to the unrealistic expectations being flung around like so much confetti.

303. RangerSG says:

Kelly,

I agree that if Gulati did his bait & switch with Klinsi again, which he DID do w/ him after the WC, then this could blow up.

However, right now, the other prime U-2xs jobs are open as well. Which means if JK can work with Reyna in the youth development (which I think he can), then he can place his people in those positions and have the unified style of play that he put in place with Germany as well.

I think there’s good potential for success, and I don’t think there was a ‘better’ choice than Klinsmann available for the US side. Most of the other ‘big names’ have little experience with the US talent pool. The one thing Klinsi’s been able to do for most of a decade is watch the game in the States.

304. I'm Just Sayinb says:

I think you, as well as others, are sucking the kook-aid as well. The comment in regards to Nowak is quite true actually. Polish national team captain, Polish player of the year, bundesliga experience as well as being named bundesliga play maker of the year. Add in asst coach to the us national team, coached the us Olympic team, a domestic title with DC and a few years as a head coach with Philly. On paper he has more tenure in coaching than Klinnsmann and frankly one more title. Just a less accomplished player. Taking the “we have a cool foreign coach blinders off” you see it’s a fair argument.

305. Nic D "The Texas 2 Stepper" says:

58% Winning percentage > than 40% Winning Percentage

Yes he had better teams.

Yes he had better competition.

Yes he has something to offer that the others don’t.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your argument.

306. Mike says:

Yeah! I remember that. Any coincidence that all levels of the youth teams are without a coach?

307. donny says:

“…most recently a consultant to Toronto F.C.”

Would feel better knowing he might have been “collecting unemployment” and visiting soccer bars all over the country waiting for this call to come in.

Toronto F.C.? He needs a publicist!

308. BrianK says:

Don’t kid yourself,…Gulati did this to save his job. He should not have extended BB beyond South Africa and should have hired Klinsmann at that time. We lost a year.

Furthermore,…he knew about all of the scullduggery going on with Warner, with respect to CONCACAF and FIFA,…AND HE DID NOTHING! He sat idly by and watched.

Tired of this poser. Time for him to move on.

309. beachbum says:

thanks for the reply

310. Ty says:

Supremely talented is a bit of a stretch.

311. Brian says:

I wanted Klinnsman after the ’06 flameout. 5 years later, and no serious takers for him around the globe and I’m concerned there’s something there I don’t see. If available, I’d have made a move for Hiddink.

312. Justa Guy says:

Here’s a radical idea. Given the USNMT’s glut of decent midfielders and relative weakness at forwards, what do you think of a 4-6-0 formation? Here’s an article on it: link to zonalmarking.net. I’m not advocating this. Just thinking out loud.

313. Goalscorer24 says:

Very excited to see how Juergen does with the US!