Bedoya agrees to terms with Glasgow Rangers

AlejandroBedoya (Getty)

U.S. national team midfielder Alejandro Bedoya is set to follow in the footsteps of an impressive list of current and former Americans to play for Scottish powerhouse Glasgow Rangers after agreeing to terms with the club on Thursday.

Bedoya confirmed the agreement on Monday, and is now awaiting the securing of a work permit to finalize his move from Swedish club Orebro to Rangers, where he will team up with U.S. teammate Maurice Edu.

Rangers had been working with Orebro on a transfer for Bedoya for this summer, but after failing to reach an agreement on a transfer deal, Bedoya secured a pre-contract with Rangers on Thursday. Bedoya will move on a free transfer and begin a three-year contract with Rangers in January if he is able to secure a work permit, Bedoya's agent, Lyle Yorks, told SBI on Thursday.

Bedoya was enjoying a strong season in Sweden, and is coming off an impressive showing for the United States at the CONCACAF Gold Cup. The former Boston College standout will now play for the same club that former U.S. captain Claudio Reyna and American winger DaMarcus Beasley previously called home.

What do you think of this development? Like the move for Bedoya? Think he can shine in Scotland?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to Bedoya agrees to terms with Glasgow Rangers

1. Elliot says:

2. jonk says:

Argh. I hope he stays healthy.

3. mistadobolina says:

good for Ale! Great opportunity.. never thought he was a SPL player but hey if Rangers wants him..

which team has employed the most Americans now? Rangers? Fulham? anyone else?

4. Aaron in StL says:

Well from an exposure standpoint it’s a step-up if he’s looking to get to England. Just protect those ankles young man

5. ChelseaMatt says:

He will get injured. Worse reckless tackling in SPL than MLS

6. Larry says:

What about Edu. I would say he did well there too.

7. rambo says:

Wish he went to England or Spain, but maybe he will get noticed by a premier league team now

8. Dawsaw says:

Perfect place for a scrappy attacking player to get some better exposure. If he can stay healthy that is.

9. Pablo says:

This was rumored during last summers transfer window. An appropriate step up for Bedoya, although SPL is a weak 2nd tier Euro League. Would have prefered to see him in Holland,Portugal,or Turkey.

10. Jon says:

Wait…is he moving now or in the winter?

I thought that Orebro had rejected the move, but Bedoya could move as a free in the winter transfer window. Is that what’s happening or did Rangers come back with a better offer to Orebro?

11. Jamoke says:

Yeah I’m confused as well.

12. Andrew says:

Nice move for Bedoya, hopefully he fits into the squad well and gets ample playing time for them. They’re in European tournaments all the time, so even if the SPL is nothing great he’s got a chance to test himself against top flight European teams at the very least.

13. DL says:

Yea is this agreeing to pre-contract terms for a move in January or is this Orebo accepting a fee and Bedoya agreeing to terms?

14. jpc says:

I hope he’s out of there next year. Something tells me he will be…

Ives didn’t post something for the Dallas game, but, Brek Shea is the best player in MLS. He’s gone next summer, and I hope MLS gets their money’s worth, b/c he’s worth $10 Million at least. I’d love to see him play for a good team in France that plays in Europe

15. DL says:

Pre-contract per his twitter

16. RK says:

I hope his car doesn’t get firebombed.

17. Alex says:

Ives DID post something for the Dallas game…

18. jpc says:

Oh, thanks. I looked right past the post where my Red Bulls got trounced. I saw the highlights and part of the game, that was bad enough

19. JesseMT says:

Also confused.

20. KC says:

His diving will be quite handy to avoid injuries.

21. abm says:

$10 million?!? Brek Shea?!?!? insanity

22. Jamoke says:

Maybe I missed something but all his twitter says is: “In Glasgow n just agreed to terms w/ Rangers! Crossing fingers Work Permit goes through! Thanks for the support! #Blessed”

23. Alex says:

Haha no problem brother.

24. Jamoke says:

Nevermind, story updated.

25. Paul C says:

It’s a precontract. My guess is that Rangers realized they could get him in the winter on a free, in addition to Ale having to do the work permit appeals process which will take time. Smart moves.

26. Eric says:

Great move, and now we have 2 guys to check out in Rangers matches.

27. Brek Shea isn't going for $10 mill says:

Best player in the MLS? Are you related to Shea? Hahaha.

If he goes to Europe he’ll cost a few million at most. Remember, Dempsey and Altidore were much more hyped (not saying they were better when they left) and they went for $4 million and $10 million respectively.

28. Jon says:

Rangers’ official site now confirming that he will arrive in January 2012.

Sucks that he will miss the Champions League experience this year.

29. Aaron in StL says:

For the work permit, isn’t it based off the percentage (maybe something like 75%) you’ve played for the NT in the past year? If so he should come close on that one

30. Alex says:

Guess he’ll have to get some of those youth shinguards with the ankle brace/protection attached to him. Wish him luck and success though. This could turn into something really good.

31. Steve Rogers says:

Still gonna have to go with fulham on this one:
    Marcus Hahnemann
    Eddie Lewis
    Brian McBride
    Eddie Johnson
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Clint Dempsey

32. Terry says:

No league has worse reckless tackling than MLS.

33. terry says:

As a Celtic fan, so would I, but that squad is way too packed. Rangers is a better place for him to play

34. Andy in Atlanta says:

Kasey Keller and Norwegian Brede Hangeland was born in Texas…

35. Clover362 says:

So there is a strong case to be made that Shea is the best player in MLS right now based on form, but Shea is definetly they best younge talent in the league, maybe you can make an argument for najar or aguedelo but minutes and results mean more than anything else to me.

He won’t transfer until he does something for the USMNT. Euro teams still don’t respect MLS results until they are validated by international duty.

36. WhiteHart says:

I don’t want to hate on anyone for realizing a dream, and probably cashing a bigger paycheck in the process, but I would have preferred him wait til he was an actual free agent and what offers he had then.

I’m not a Rangers or SPL hater, but Rangers will be out of the Champions League in all likelihood by that point, and the SPL doesn’t offer great quality week-in, week-out.

Obviously he can’t make a move where he doesn’t have offers, but my ideal place for him to move to would have been the Dutch league or a low-mid table Spanish league.. alas if there were no other offers for him, at least he goes to Rangers knowing that he is wanted.

37. 20 says:

apart fom the injuries edu has had. I like that bedoya is moving up but like others I worry he’ll get injured

38. Martha says:

This sucks why can’t we get Americans in skill leagues instead of hack leagues that’s one reason we’ve fallen behind Mexico wever had more cautasrophic injuries due to players playing in hack a man leagues. Thou Chicharito will get hurt too.

This sickens me that were going to lose another player due to playing in a hack league suck as Holden, Edu, Convey, Beasley the latter two falling off the natl radar permanently

And yes, Edu and Bedoya will get to work together an gain chemistry…if they stay healthy at the same time (doubtful) but it won’t matter. They can have the chemistry of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis but it won’t matter cause as long as Bradley is coach Edu will be firmly planted on the bench behind bob Bradley jr.

39. Rusty says:

Well, they will probably be out of the Champions League, but there’s a very good chance they’ll be in the Europa League, so He’ll most likely have a crack at some European football. (They played Sporting and PSV in Feb and March respectively last year)

WRT mid-table Dutch teams, people seem to focus on the “technical” aspects of the league and the Dutch tradition of developing talent, but is the Dutch league really that competitive? There are great players that cut their teeth in that league (eg. Ronaldo, Ibrahimovich, etc) but also plenty of players that destroy in Holland and then fall flat in bigger leagues (eg. Afonso Alves, Mateja Kezman).

40. Brit in Houston says:

That’s not a breach of his current contract? Or does he in fact have no contract at all??? That’s some Don Draper sh*t!

(SBI-Any player in the final six months of his contract can sign a pre-contract with another team, which gives players time to find new employment if their current situations are going to run their course. Beckham did the same thing when he signed with LA before leaving Real Madrid.)

41. Alex G says:

Agree on the Bradley part

42. Timothy says:

I think Tigres has employed the most Americans outside the US. That or that obscure team in the 4th division of Belgium

43. Bryson says:

Turkey? really?

44. Brent McD says:

elapsed time until Bob Bradley comment:
    1:55
    has to be a new record

45. abc says:

Bradley is way better than Edu, so there’s that.

46. Steve McSteve says:

I’m not thrilled about the move. Except for Champions League and games against Celtic, it’s not really a step up in competition. I’d rather see him go to a decent team in a better league, like the Netherlands, than see him go to the champ of a minnow league.

47. 1000 lions says:

dempsey born in TX, Keller in WA

48. GW says:

Really. Note how Sweden (ranked at about 26) isn’t on this list.

UEFA league rankings by country

Rank2012 Rank2011 League

16 15 Scotland

17 20 Cyprus

18 17 Israel

19 22 Croatia

20 18 Czech Republic

49. GW says:

True, but they usually do not last very long in Europe, so it often amounts to just a few games.

Rangers are a great club but the SPL is awful. Rangers play very few really competitive games outside Celtic and whatever big boys they meet in Europe.

Hopefully Bedoya does well and uses this as a stepping stone to bigger and better.

50. GW says:

Maybe that’s because previous MLS leading goalscorers haven’t exactly impressed at higher levels (Casey, Cunningham, Cooper, any more guys with last names starting with C?).

51. GW says:

Michael Bradley plays for the USMNT. I didn’t know there was a Bob Bradley Jr. What club team does he play for?

Edu’s USMNT performances have, overall, been pretty subdued since he came back from injury.

If nepotism is keeping him behind M. Bradley then one way he can beat that is to play better in practice and better during whatever time he has on the field. I don’t see the practices but Mo has been pretty vanilla in his recent USMNT appearances. If he is going to let a little thing like nepotism get in his way and not fight back then maybe he doesn’t have the fight and the fire to be a top flight player anyway.

And he did not exactly respond well to being given an opportunity for more PT by seizing on the CB role offered to him. Mo is a fine, versatile player and he could be a better all around center back than Tim Ream based on what I’ve seen of Ream lately.

Rangers are poorer than my state government so buying is conservative and Mo faces little real competition for his place.

One possible interpretation of all this is that Mo has gotten soft at Rangers and doesn’t react well to competition.

Or you could be right and BB is intentionally narrowing his own profesional options by denying playing time to and alientating one of his most talented players, a man he could really use, for reasons ground in nepotism.

I would view that as blatant stupidity and professional suicide on the part of BB given the complete lack of depth of the US player pool but I suppose anything is possible.

52. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

Sweden has a better league than Cyprus.

53. OC says:

Cyprus had a nice statue once, though.

Point duly noted, and in addition, I really think that once you get past that first 6 or 7, it really starts to be splitting hairs between the rest of that top 20. The FIFA rankings are unreliable in my opinion, so I take UEFA rankings with a grain of salt as well.

That being said, the Turkish league IS probably a step up from the Swedish league, if only for the fact that they have Fenerbache, Galatasaray, and one or 2 other relatively strong sides.

Whether the SPL is better than Turkey is debatable; I think the SPL can harden a player a bit more, but you have to think that the Turks (based on their NT) know a thing or two about pretty football.

At the end of the day, Bedoya didn’t waste time in securing a move to a place with a familiar language, and NT compatriot, that showed genuine interest in him. No use holding out for a ‘better’ option; I like that he welcomes the challenge and is ready to take the next step in his career.

54. OC says:

Will he?

I suppose you’re assuming that Rangers will be out by January (which is very possible; no criticism intended). In that case, clever way to state it 8)

BUT, should Rangers still be in the competition by then (maybe there’s one more group game in Jan??), Bedoya would be ligible if Oreobro isn’t in the UCL, I think.

Can somebody help us out on this? As long as he isn’t UCL tied, he would be able to step right in, no? I’d love to watch him and Edu in a UCL game.

55. OC says:

First name — Chris Wondolowski.

Ay papa, he was invisible in the USMNT shirt aside from that dreadful attempt with a gaping net against Panama.

Your point is solid; I probably wouldn’t trust MLS results either if I was a Euro manager / boardroom member.

56. D says:

Scotland – where US midfielders destroy their careers and knees.

57. Sammy says:

Apparently you misunderstood Andy’s comment. He was adding Kasey Keller to the list…and then he was qualifying Brede Hangeland – on a side note.

58. OC says:

I think you’d find it REALLY hard to bench your son.

This is not to say that he doesn’t deserve to start. MB is solid; I think he’s our best player pound-for-pound, position-for-position. But, you can’t deny that having a father coaching a son on a national team might screw some things up just a teensy bit in that locker room / front office.

Edu riding pine for the USMNT is likely due to the fact that we actually have some depth at holding CM, which I think everybody should be happy about. I’d like to argue that he should be taking some of Jermaine’s minutes, but I think Jermaine’s grittiness edged him past Edu for the other spot (and Edu is a natural sub for Jones since he’s always getting carded).

59. GW says:

Not according to UEFA. They have these rankings for seeding purposes.

I’ve never seen a Cyprus league game myself (have you?) so I really don’t know how to react to anything past the top ten or so.

60. GW says:

Better players than Wondo have missed better sitters than what he had in the Panama game.

I do blame him for the loss but he still hasn’t had enough caps to prove he is a USMNT bust.

61. GW says:

“I think you’d find it REALLY hard to bench your son.”

Maybe you would.

None of us know BB well enough to know whether that is how he operates. He may genuinely believe MB is worth his place. It wouldn’t be the first time a manager disagrees with the fans on the value of a player.

I suspect we have all been in the workplace long enough to see examples where a father was twice as hard on their son in the interest of not being seen as biased.

I’ve seen lots of cases where parental bosses have treated their kids like crap.

Saying MB plays so much purely out of nepotism is jsut an easy out. If Mo wants to beart MB out then he needs to prove he’s the better man. But when I see him play for the USMNT he just seems lost. I thought he was better than that.

Obviously BB knows MB and his ins and outs better than anyone else. In a national teamsituation where players often come in and out all the time familiarity and confidence in a player is vital.

Look around at other national teams and you will find that managers often have a core of “their guys”. In fact, look at Mourinho and see how often he drags Carvalho around with him.