Beckham, Henry named MLS All-Star First XI

Thierry Henry 061011 (ISIPhotos.com)

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

Four members of the Los Angeles Galaxy and three New York Red Bulls were named to the MLS All-Star First XI, revealed on Sunday.

Here are the eleven players who received the most All-Star votes among fans:

GK- Kasey Keller

D- Omar Gonzalez, Sean Franklin, Rafa Marquez, Tim Ream,

M-David Beckham, Jack Jewsbury, Brek Shea, Landon Donovan

F- Thierry Henry, Chris Wondolowski

This is not necessarily the lineup that will start in the 2011 MLS All-Star Game against Manchester United on July 27th. New York Red Bulls head coach Hans Backe will select the starting lineup for the match.

What do you think of this group? Who is the most glaring omission? Who are you surprised to see on this list?

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to Beckham, Henry named MLS All-Star First XI

1. hmph says:

What a joke.

2. Christian says:

Surprised the Tank & Lindpere didn’t make it. Solid lineup otherwise, no complaints. Jewsbury is deserving based upon his recent form. Not sure about wondo, petharps giving him a little love for last year’s golden boot.

3. nam says:

Your face is a joke.

4. Gillian says:

Would have included Lindpere on this team; otherwise, hard to argue with the majority of the selections.

5. Paul Dickov says:

Good to see Borchers and RSL represented…. oh…. wait….

6. The Don Garber says:

Good all the big names got voted in! (wink, wink)

7. Jon says:

IMO, the following should be included in the roster as well:
    Juninho, Brad Davis, Nat Borchers, Luke Rodgers, Teemu Tainio, and Carlos Valdes.

8. cajun says:

I guess very little exists outside NYC and LA…hmph is right, what a joke…

9. dycsoccer17 says:

Why is Beckham on the team? Wondolowski hasn’t done anything this year other than miss easy goals for the USMNT.

Lindpere should be there instead of Beckham.

Wondolowski isn’t even the best striker on his team. Lenhart would be more worthy, even. Le Toux is more worthy.

10. Will says:

Their voted by fans, not selected by the league. How is this a “joke”? It’s a joke if Backe doesn’t bring in players from other teams.

11. rph says:

Wow, no Olave or Borchers. Hard to look at that backline as a credible selection without either of them. It’s not terrible, but I believe that Borchers and Olave are > Ream and Marquez.

12. maka says:

Please, no more Red Bull players. They are dead on their legs as it is. There are other players on other teams.

13. northzax says:

Two goals, eight assists for the best team in the league. One in three LA goals were either scored or assisted by him. how is that not a qualificatiOn?

14. Gillian says:

This. I’m not the biggest Beckham fan, but one cannot argue with his play this year.

15. WonsanUnited says:

Olave, Lindpere, and Tainio.

16. Mike says:

lindpere…

17. Gillian says:

Isn’t it likely that Backe will bring in other players? There’s no guarantee that this will be the starting XI.

18. Gerald says:

It’s pointless to talk about omissons without the rest of the team being announced

19. AJ says:

Red Bulls – 28 GP, 24 GA, 2 All-Star defenders

Philadelphia – 28 GP, 16 GA, 0 All-Star defenders

I realize this was the popularity contest portion of the all-star roster selection process, but it would be nice to see one of Williams, Valdes, or Califf and/or Mondragon get voted in. The guys deserve it.

20. slyboy says:

Don’t be stupid. Wondolowski has more goals THIS season then both of the players you named. And yes he is the best striker on his team.

21. Thorpinski says:

Ream..really? has not played well enough to be an MLS alstar.

22. Will says:

10 of those goals were scored against the Red Bulls when Ream and Marquez were gone for Gold Cup. Including a 4 and 3 goal game. Keel and Mendes aren’t the ones who are going to the All-Star game.

23. Steve McSteve says:

Guess you didn’t see his defending against DC last night.

24. Ricky B. Free says:

Why are people complaining? The players were voted by the fans.

Lets see who are the subs, before we start talking about the all star snubs.

25. John says:

The first 11 should at least be a guy in each position. Why does the backline have 3 CBs?

26. hogatroge says:

There’s a reason Backe gets to choose the actual starting 11 without fan input.

27. hogatroge says:

It’s the wording of “First XI” that is PO’ing everyone. Backe will pick the other 11 to round out a team he feels can win the game.

I’d be surprised if many of the “glaring” omissions actually end up starting over several of the “FIRST XI.”

28. derp says:

You’re an idiot. My ears are bleeding from your stupidity.

Lenhart and Le Toux are good players but they are not on Wondo’s level.

29. Dayo says:

Ream? Really? Crumble him up and throw him away please. At least until the numerous defenders that are better than him get some love – Marshall, Gonzales, Wynne

30. mouf says:

Jewsbury is deserving based on stats, not form imo, benefits from having people who finish his balls on set pieces well.

31. bob says:

Dayo? Really? He is not judged on his MNT performances. Plus did you not read the entire article, Gonzales is on the all-star team.

32. bob says:

Henry 9 goals 2 assists
    Donavon 8 Goals 1 assits
    Beckman 8 assists 2 goals

Good all the talented names got voted in (wink, wink)

Although you are on the money with Marquez and Keller.

33. Rob says:

George John??? Brad Davis??? glad to see Jack Jewsbury. he deserves to be there and i didn’t think he would make it due to the fact he isn’t a household name.

34. b says:

You don’t actually watch MLS games, do you?

35. Soccer Guy says:

Kasey Keller? I don’t think so. Chris Wondoloski? Again, I don’t think so. Then there is the defense. I’m not an RSL fan, but the idea that there is not a single RSL defender is pretty ridiculous. LA and NY clearly have undue and unfair influence as far as the defenders are concerned. If they were to use this team in the All Star game they would get killed.

36. knolljus says:

two of those guys barely make 50 grand a year. Hope they get big raises.

37. patrick says:

not from the MLS they wont. If they do get a raise, it will come along with a 5-6 year contract that none of them want a part of. See what Stu Holden did at houston for an example.

38. Shark says:

Yeah I agree with you 100%….looks like ESPn wanted their two franchise teams LA & NY well lrepresented….

39. josh says:

I do not understand why some people are questioning why four la galaxy players made it.

1. Landon Donovan, although he hasnt been at his best. He is still one of the top players in the league.

2. David Beckham, has been pure class all season. If he had not been hurt for those three game he would have even more than 3 assists.

3. Omar Gonzalez, he has been easily one of the best defenders in the league. Right up there with olave and borchers.

4. Sean Franklin is a good right back but I think Duniviant is more deserving.

The fact of the matter is that LA has been at the top all year long which is why they have four players make the team.

40. MiamiAl says:

Charlie Davies and Chris Pontius need to be in the final roster somewhere.

41. Andrew says:

With all of the worthy players that weren’t named starters, it shows how deep our league is becoming. You could replace just about everyone on this team with someone else and hardly miss a beat. Go MLS!

42. ShaggyReAL says:

Only DC fans think this. Both good players, but not good enough for the AS game.

43. J4FRAY44 says:

hahaha who does? it’s the MLS

44. acj says:

I have no issues with Donovan and Beckham. I think there were more deserving players than Gonzalez, but I’ll give you him since LA has an undeniably good defense this year. But you’re arguing that 3 of the four defenders should be from LA? That’s just not credible.

45. Ryan says:

Wondolowski is complete garbage. He proved that at the Gold Cup.

46. The Soccer Stache says:

#1

47. BrianVT says:

He only proved that he isn’t currently an international caliber player at the Gold Cup. Doesn’t say anything about MLS All-Star cred. Gonzalez, Franklin, Jewsbury, and Shea didn’t even play in the GC. Are they “garbage”, too?

48. Jason B says:

ESPN rigged the fan voting? Whaaaatt? Those players aren’t on the “Starting 11″ for the same reason that Yao Ming and Derek Jeter get voted as All-Star starters every year.

Fans are voting for the most popular players.

49. Villain-from-Texas says:

Brek Shea? He couldn’t even get onto the national team over Robbie Rogers, a real left footer.

(Sarcasm)

50. Paul Dickov says:

I find the “fan voting” argument silly since Brek Shea made it on the team… Dallas barely has any fans, so who could be voting him on?

You could argue RSL is a victim of lack of exposure, small market, or the post Champions League hangover… but then that doesn’t explain Wondo or Shea being “voted” on.

51. Super Metro says:

You got it right!!

Marquez is doubtful too.

Tainio or Alonso deserve a look

52. Super Metro says:

really?

53. Super Metro says:

Wondolowski an All Star? pleeeeaase!!!

54. mike says:

union blow man cmon if theyre so good theyd b way ahead of nyrb who still doesnt even have their full team so im sick of hearing this union bs they r overrated theyll big to fall soon as the real part of the season begins which is afta this game

55. GW says:

It’s a question of semantics. A “First Eleven in this case seems to be the 11 the most “popular” or “perceived best” players.

In theory you could have eleven center backs. Or eleven holding midfielders, like the USMNT.

No one said anything about fielding the best possible team, which is not the same thing.

56. josh says:

Let me clarify, I think Duniviant is more deserving of the spot than franklin.

57. Dave says:

+1, and Jewsbury and Wondo are? Davies or Pontius are respectable picks if we’re going on form. On top of that, De Ro, if we’re going like we see with Donovan, on reputation alone.

58. Dave says:

I think Ryan said that Wondo was garbage, and didn’t comment on the other 4 players you listed…

59. Neruda says:

Borcher’s is better than Franklin and Omar G. Jewsbury and Shea are solid All-Stars but not starters. Wondo is borderline.

Keller is still good but this is all about a proper sendoff for him.

60. Dennis says:

Wondo is in a several player tie for 6th in goals scored this season (despite the GC) and was first last year. Why so much hate for him? He did well last year and it is silly to think fans will consider only this season and even if they tried, it is hard to ignore his from last success especially since he has continued to score goals.

I thought fans might pick Brad Davis over Jewsbuty, but …

61. abc says:

And that’s fine, those who are good enough should go to Europe, and get paid to play at the highest levels.
    MLS is not at that level yet, players salaries will only go up when the league is making more money.

62. BrianVT says:

No, Dave. Ryan said that Wondo proved that he was garbage at the Gold Cup. But thanks for playing.

63. Andrew says:

I have no disagreements with any of these choices. Franklin is in particular deserves his spot: he may even be more integral to the LA attack than Beckham and Juninho.

A few players I would expect Backe to select: Faryd Mondragon, Brad Davis, Juninho, Joel Lindpere, Conor Casey, Eric Hassli.

64. BROADCASTING in Stunning SD says:

Your statement implies ESPN cares enough about MLS to rig a voting system.

(joking)

That said and jokes aside, given that ESPN actually broadcasts MLS in HD and not some fake/faux HD Icon(FSC….)….they can rig any election affliated with MLS for all I care.

65. DC Josh says:

I wish I could tell you who deserves to be in the Best XI, and who doesn’t belong. Unfortunately, I can only watch one – two if I am lucky – MLS games a week since 80% of their games are pay-to-watch. I understand they are having a difficult time with networks paying for the viewing rights, but it is very unfortunate considering how much I want to support MLS. I simply can’t afford the Direct Kick package.

66. DC Josh says:

Because David Beckham has been lighting up the MLS scoreboard?

67. john says:

Brian Carrol gettin no love

68. Seth says:

Well they definitely have the most talented groups in the league. What did you expect?

69. Seth says:

Lenhart? Hahahahah. I’d take most USL players over him.

70. Yepp says:

The only RBNY player who didnt deserve to make it of the three if Marquez, get real dude. Not to mention Lindpere and Rodgers will both probably make it as reserves anyway..

71. mattoomba says:

I agree that Brad Davis is a huge omission. Not sure who should be removed for him though. Shea? Jewsbury? I’d take Davis over either.

72. Larth Gagerway says:

I promise to look out for you as student body president, also I’m totally hot.

73. Dave says:

Ryan said that Wondo is garbage, and Wondo proved it at the Gold Cup. You said that it had something to do with whether he was international calibre or not, and then went on to try to prove your point by asking if certain players were garbage because they didn’t play in the Gold Cup. I just was trying to point out that there is no logical connection between what Ryan said, and what you said. Since he said nothing about those guys you listed, or that Gold Cup made players non-garbage. But I guess you framed it like that so he would respond to your seemingly rhetorical question.

I understand why you seemed to take offense with what I said, because I was kind of short, but “Thanks for playing” is a crappy and hostile way to respond to me for pointing out that I disagreed with how you commented on what Ryan said. It’s not a big deal at all (despite the fact I just took five minutes out of my day to respond to this that I should have spent working). But for the record, I think there are many other MLS players that are much better than Wondo, but he has had an all-star worthy year.

74. kpugs says:

Did they check to make sure Beckham wasn’t flying to England to have a casual brunch with Gary Neville first?

75. marco says:

Franklin, and Wondo do not make my first or second eleven. Omar (not great year) doesn’t make my first 11. Ozzie, John, and Olave replace them.

76. LWA says:

Wow. No mention of Osvaldo Alonso? The guy dominates most of the midfielders named to the team and named in the comments above. Lindpere? Jewsbury? Neither compare to Alonso.

77. Danimal says:

But he also (at least most of the time) puts those set pieces in the perfect place for them to be finished, which a lot of other set-piece-takers appear to have a lot of difficulty with. And he’s scored some nice goals from the run of play as well. I think he’s deserving of a spot.

78. Mike says:

“Or eleven holding midfielders, like the USMNT.”

We have a winner, folks.

79. JJ says:

I agree. NEW TV DEAL SOON!

80. Mikey says:

Alonso.

81. Mikey says:

We can put Greg Luganis on the roster if we want divers

82. Mikey says:

Oy. Robbie Rogers.
    :blowsbrainsout:

83. Mikey says:

“Dallas barely has any fans, so who could be voting him on?”

We have a winner

84. Mikey says:

Agree with LWA. Where is Alonso? Dude leads the league in tackles. Dominates the entire league in midfield.

85. Paul Dickov says:

We do have a winner… it’s called sarcasm.

86. Paul Dickov says:

“Dominates the entire league in midfield.”

Now we REALLY have a winner. :)