Five Mexican Gold Cup players removed after failed drug tests

610x (9)

BY ADAM SERRANO

Mexico's chances of repeating as Gold Cup champions just got a lot slimmer.

Starting goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa and four teammates were removed from the Mexican national team on Thursday afternoon after positive drug tests for the substance "Clenbuterol", a banned stimulant that can be used to ease the symptoms of chronic breathing disorders.

The following players Francisco Javier Rodriguez, Antonio "Sinha" Naelson, Christian Bermudez, Edgar Duenas, and Ochoa face a suspension of up to a year depending on whether or not the positive drug tests were not accidential.

In a press conference held on Thursday, the Mexican Football Federation speculated that the players consumed chicken that was tainted with the drug and will request that the team be allowed to field replacement players for the rest of the Gold Cup. The removals come just one day after defender Ricardo Osorio also left the team due to an injury.

The removals have major ramifications for El Tri, which loses its starting goalkeeper as well as several key players at the start of the Gold Cup. It should be noted that none of the players have been formally suspended from the Gold Cup, just removed from the Mexican team as a precaution, which means there is still the possibility the players could return if a logical and legal explanation for the initial failed tests is found.

What do you think this does to the chances of "El Tri" repeating as Gold Cup Champions? Think that we'll see something other than a U.S. vs. Mexico Final on June 25th?

This entry was posted in CONCACAF Gold Cup, Mexican Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

201 Responses to Five Mexican Gold Cup players removed after failed drug tests

1. oncebannedtwiceshy says:

isn’t their other goalie supposed to be better anyway?

2. 20 says:

Ochoa is the only keeper they have on this squad with international experience. Maza is also a huge loss for them defensively. The other three players are not as significant

3. JM says:

Not Talavera who will no doubt play tonight! But now they can call Corona after being left out for headbutting an assistant coach.

4. Brian says:

If CONCACAF lets them replace the players, I don’t think it will have too much of an effect on them. They will still make it to the final. Marquez can play CB in Maza’s place. And I don’t think Talavera or Orozco are much worse than Ochoa. And I’m sure they will be able to find some impact subs to replace Sinha and Bermudez.

If they don’t get to replace those players, then they will really be hurting, cuz they will only have a bench of 6.

5. Louis Z says:

agree.

6. Kevin_amold says:

I’ve heard similar. Ochoa is living proof of my theory that fairly average players often become overrated because of unique hair styles. Catches the eye more and more people notice them.

Anyway, this seems to be a pretty big deal. From what I understood they only tested 14 players. Did I misunderstand>?

7. Josh D says:

Bob Bradley likes this.

Bob lives to face another tournament thanks to the ramifications this has for Mexico…

8. PCFC says:

Same ol’ Mexico…..

9. Wane Ballkan says:

This is not good for anyone! And certainly not for the Gold Cup in general.

10. syght says:

Any way to draw an analogy for those of us who don’t follow the Mexican squad? Like this is like losing Howard, X defender, and Y, Z, XX other players?

11. John says:

they shouldn’t be allowed to replace players who failed drug tests. end of.

12. Bender says:

And Gold Cup matches to take place at Lance Armstrong Park? Coincidence?

13. Louis Z says:

out of those 5 players, how many are actually starter? 2 right?

14. Josh says:

Whoa.

Well, I hope for El Tri’s sake that it was unintentional. Besides, if we’re gonna beat them, I’d rather it be against their best 11 instead of a diminished side. That said, if they were doping, suspend those cheaters through WC 2014!

15. Alan says:

They’ll pull a “Contador” and claim it was from tainted meat. They’ll all be back within 2 weeks.

16. Josh D says:

No way should they be allowed to replace players. Tournament rules specify you can only replace players 24 hours before the first game. Time has passed on that one.

It would be a travesty to allow that. “Tainted chicken” – you must be joking.

17. patrick says:

hopefully concacaf stands pat and forced them to play with 5 less. The team should be punished just as the players, particualrly now that they’ve played a game. Does el salvador protest?

18. jamesey says:

I heard Chicharito snorts the crushed bones of cremated orphans.

19. Johnny Thunder says:

Not surprised by this at all.

20. jonk says:

The FMF is already claiming that. I think if that’s the case they’ll just get a milder suspension rather than something like a full year.
    Anyway, the tainted pork or poultry idea isn’t outside the realm of possibility if they were eating in Mexico.

21. oncebannedtwiceshy says:

ah yes, i was thinking of the headbutt guy.

22. jonk says:

I’m not saying I believe it, but the drug they tested positive for is sometimes illegaly put into animal feed to make pigs and chickens more lean.

23. Shark says:

Actually six guys according to Brent Latham:

Big news out of Mexican camp – apparently 6 players will be separated from the team for positive doping tests, Ochoa + 5

Plus Osorio who left camp yesterday, these were FMF administered tests apparently

The names: Francisco Javier ‘Maza’ Rodríguez, Antonio Naelson ‘Sinha’, Edgar Dueñas, Christian ‘Hobbit’ Bermúdez y Guillermo Ochoa.

24. Victor Aguado Jr. says:

I’ll tell you something. I know Ochoa personally and he is one of the nicest most respectful guys you can meet. He absolutely admires Tim Howard adn Casey Keller and not even in person has he ever spoken a bad word about the US team.

He is an INCREDIBLE keeper as no other than Iker Casillas said today in Mexico City.

I can’t think of a single reason he would have done this on purpose, especially knowing he was leaving for PSG in France.

I wish him well, cause this is something I know will really affect him.

I’m just asking you have a little respect for someone you don’t really know.

25. Brian says:

Well in my opinion (and most other peoples opinion) Howard is much better than Ochoa, and the gap (if there is any gap) between Ochoa and the other two Mexico goalkeepers (Talavera, Orozco) is much smaller than the gap between Howard and Hahnemann or Rimando.

Let’s imagine Gooch was in good form and starting, then losing Maza is probably like losing Gooch, however Maza’s replacement (Marquez) is much more experienced and better, even at this stage in his career, than Tim Ream.

Duenas is a just a sub who probably wasn’t going to see much time.

Sinha and Bermudez are subs off the bench. So losing them is maybe like losing a better and older Kljestan and a better and smaller Rogers.

26. 20 says:

correct, Ochoa and Maza

27. Seriously says:

I agree. All that chicken laced with asthma medicine and all that. That’s about as bad as something Jack Warner would come up with.

28. Zero Cool says:

Win

29. kal says:

Yes. Ochoa and Maza Rodriguez are starters, and Sinha could be counted as an “impact sub.”

I don’t know crap about the other two….

30. Brian says:

That’s what I’m saying. And yes I know the 24 hour rule is the rule for replacing injured players. I assume it’s the same for something of this nature?

31. Dank says:

Well, it must work then! I hope more of our guys try it!

32. od says:

Ochoa uses illegal sustances and Onyewu doe not? Yeah right… give me a break!

33. Shark says:

this could get intresting:

@Faitelson_ESPN – asks, could El Salvador protest last Saunday’s game? Could Mexico lose the points?

34. Buddle-icious says:

Just out of curiosity, how does one prove the tainted-meat excuse? Is the burden on the players and their federation to do so or is the burden on the testers, in this case, CONCACAF, to prove their excuse is bogus or not?

Also, to whom specifically at CONCACAF does Mexico appeal? Obviously not Jack Warner and Lisle Austin. Does that mean our suddenly very note-worthy Chuck Blazer, who happens to need some support from Mexico right now, makes the call?

May we live in curious times.

35. patrick says:

lol he said hes going to PSG

36. Adrian says:

I think this is actually a food problem. Mexico has horrible issues with hormone and drug tainted beef and chicken.

You can test positive here in America for that as well, it’s a lot less likely, but I think the FMF is telling the truth.

37. Al_OC says:

So, they pulled the old el pollo loco excuse, eh?

38. ARTES says:

The Mexican federation did the tests themselves before the Gold Cup. It wasn’t a FIFA or CONCACAF test they failed but rather the Mexican Federation’s tests. I remember a player from Cruz Azul who failed a test in the confederations cup (6~8 years ago )and he never played again in Mexico. In that case the same thing happened player’s failed the Mexican federations tests and they were removed. Difference is that in that moment Mexico didn’t say why they were removed and there was a big scandal when it became public a few weeks later.

39. Vince says:

It’ll be interesting to see how this story plays out in the next few days.

Using the Reuters story from problems with meat in Mexico from April, it’s actually conceivable this could be a tainted meat issue.

Crazy world. And soccer is not exactly a PED-infested sport (not saying it doesn’t happen….). But five players does suggest some kind of common denominator, and an individual shooting up for an advantage.

We shall see soon enough, I suppose.

40. Shark says:

CONCACAF didn’t test them…the Mexican FMF did…on May 21st…

Good question…I would think the five person ‘board’….whihc has both an American and Mexican represenative on it (they were the folks who banned Austin)….the acting president (vice president) is from Honduras….

41. Chris says:

I don;t know who is happier, USA or Costa Rica.

42. Mart says:

Clenbuterol is openly used in mexican and chinese meaty farming. The significance of this is that when ingested through a contaminated steak for example, upon digesting the meal and metabolising the meal a positive result for Clenbuterol “will” show up and hence lead to a positive test. Athletes are routinely advised to avoid meats from certain countries. With an en masse positive test it points toward negligence of the party or parties controlling the player meals or the possibility of institutionalised cheating. My thoughts are it is the former but you never know.

43. Shark says:

Agree it will be interesting…curious though that they only test (Mexican FMF) 14 of the 23 players on 21 May…who was not tested and will they be now?

44. Shark says:

Yes the FMF can be very tough…

Plus you have to wonder IF they thought this was tainted meat why would they ask for replacements?

45. Adrian says:

Mexico has a clenbuterol problem in their beef that they’ve been fighting and denying for months.

link to in.reuters.com

Normally I’d be quick to trash Mexico, but I think they get the benefit of the doubt on this one.

46. Martino Barcia says:

The whole thing is beyond weird. Ochoa was on his way to Europe finally, ‘Maza’ was being “looked” over to move from PSV to Espanyol in Barcelona, Duenas and “Hobbit” are bench players and Sinha just lost his dad last week.

You figure it out!

47. The Dude says:

If it was just a food problem why would the Mexican federation call a press conference and announce they were positive.

It seems like they would clear that up first.

48. Shark says:

I’m not sure they can do this, once the final rosters are declared, per FIFA rules, which was 24 hours before their first game…they are locked in and if they do they are going to get grilled big-time for doing so…its not an injury….and even then it has to be before the competition starts (i.e. Rio Ferdinand in the WC)

Latham:

@Faitelson_ESPN : CONCACAF evaluating possibility of allowing replacements for suspended Mexicans

49. BenH says:

Fishy story. Probably Club America punishing Ochoa for leaving them. :)

50. Shark says:

Exactly…

51. Marco says:

The idiot who is free of sin!

Of course the US is so puritanical and clean…

52. Jason says:

Only 2 were starters ochoa and maza I don’t think Mexico has any problem replacing them. Mexico could bring Marco fabian, edgar pacheco, corona back, defender
    Hector reynoso to replace maza. Only chivas and pumas have those good players available.

53. LA says:

Woah!!! Messi used hormones to grow what wrong with using a substance that helps you breath.

54. JM says:

HAhahahahahaaha…

That’s funny!!!

55. CJ in OC says:

proportionally, I would say for Maza and Ochoa, I would say this is comparable to if we had brought brad guzan, because for some reason we couldn’t bring tim howard– and brad was suspended by ussf. for maza i would say that it’s like losing goodson, and having gooch if he were match fit. they still have marquez, who has been getting matches w/NYRB.

the others…. not so sure. Sinha is an impact sub, so like, benny if we had him? eh, i tried.

56. Shark says:

Under FIFA rules I’m not sure they will be able to replace them and CONCACAF may get blow-back from teams in the competition and FIFA if they try too….first its not a injury and second normally the roster is forzen once the competition starts….Engladn was able to replace Fridinand only because it was before the start of the World Cup…and it was a legitmate injury…

57. Tony in Quakeland says:

I don’t remember what game, but I remember when fans started throwing things at a player who got red carded. Ochoa (who was on the other team) walked over and walked with the guy so he could leave without getting hit. I have respected him ever since.

58. Kevin_amold says:

He may be the nicest guy ever. Overrated player.

59. vivalosburros says:

I agree. You know it was probably Bob Bradley who planted the drug. Bradley was scared that all the logical US fans were turning against him. He also recently came to the realization that he in fact does not know anything about soccer. Therefore to extend his job and to keep people like Gulati, who do not pay attention like all us serious US fans do, from this realization, he made sure that 5 Mexico players tested positive for banned substances

60. Kevin_Amold says:

Have the US tested positive for substances?

61. Vince says:

Because the FMF want to appear they are out in front of their own issues, and not let Concacaf say the FMF was negligent.

It’s actually quite possible this is a tainted meat issue, which means the players themselves are unlikely to return to the tournament, but Concacaf would likely grant replacements.

And you know what? Fine by me. The USA should beat Mexico regardless.

62. Joe says:

To play devil’s advocate, if this is such a known problem with the meat isn’t it the players fault for not avoiding the beef then? I don’t see how the suspensions shouldn’t stand, not sure how I feel about them being able to replace those players or not though.

63. Paula says:

Um, yeah, a diminished Mexican national team in the Gold Cup is actually not good for anyone in CONCACAF, particularly the USA.

I hope this was an honest mistake. It seems completely out of nowhere, or have I missed some seriously under-the-radar stories?

64. Kevin_amold says:

Yet only one has tested positive….

65. Adrian says:

They got slammed in the past for not releasing results immediately.

If they had the results and let players play in the game tonight they could be disqualified.

66. Vince says:

Considering Messi is 5’5″ and a hundred fifty pounds soaking wet, perhaps he should look into better growth hormones….

67. Zero Cool says:

I dunno…I know I’M pretty happy

68. Tavish Speence says:

Bad for the Gold Cup anyway you see it!

69. pancholama says:

Respeto tu opinion, mucho.

70. djemba-djemba813 says:

Lame. But should make for great tifo!

71. Jeff says:

Any way this effects the results of the first game? Could it be made a forfeit considering drug positive players played?

72. Nick says:

HA! None of that matters,he’s el tri scum and he’s the enemy. He could cure cancer and I’d still hate him with the fury of 1,000 suns.

73. Mike in Missouri says:

Nope. Neither has the USA been kicked out of WC for fraud either.

74. jcl says:

and y0ur username is “od”

75. BenH says:

Yes, just never eat beef! That’s realistic for most males…

76. Brian says:

It’s true. He did when he was a kid. He probably would have been even shorter if he didn’t.

77. s-bah says:

I think for most USA fans it’s more of a “tongue in cheek” situation. The other teams in the that group are probably ecstatic and confident–especially the ticos. As an American, I would have loved to face Ochoa in goal, because he is not that solid and has never been hen playing the US.

78. Vince says:

I can only speculate into the void here, but I’d say it’s likely the other players were still with their club teams and thus not present in Mexico for that round of testing.

Remember, several US team players didn’t show until 4 days before the Spain match.

79. LoS says:

well i know the FMF is not stupid, play your semi tough game against El Salvador beat them and then reveal theres a problem suspend the players for tonights game….okay it was just a poultry/meat problem, players can resume and play against costa rica, dependent on tonight’s game they can be “suspended” for the Costa Rica game too. FMF looks like there doing on top of stuff everyone happy.

FMF = wolf in sheeps clothing….

80. Alain Stengel says:

The US is the largest consumer of drugs in the world in case you live under a rock.

The U.S. track and field coverups are legend. More than 20 athletes were allowed to compete with the full knowledge of the American Olympic Comitee from 1988 to 2001!!!

In Football…Lawrence Taylor, Ricky Williams, Dana Stubblefield. Bill Romanowsli etc. etc.

In Basketball…from college Baylor University…Walther Davies and the huge Suns doping scandal.

Lance Armstrong…very soon!!!

Baseball…REALLY???

Onyewu REALLY???

81. Truthiness says:

?!What the what!? not a PED-infested sport!?! You are being naive. With the ammount of money thrown around in this sport and the average alternate employment options for most players, I have little doubt that soccer is as PED riddled as track and cycling in Spain and elsewhere.

82. Aaron in StL says:

Must have missed a payment to Mr. Warner

83. Vince says:

Um, you should be surprised. I mean, a story like this isn’t exactly an everyday occurrence….

84. jake says:

Just in time for the semis I’m sure!

85. patrick says:

as much as i hate mexico, they wont disqualify them, since the testing wasnt concacaf/gold cup testing. Hopefully they don’t get to replace the players though

86. Vince says:

It’s not like football or baseball, where being bigger has clear advantages — hence steriods and HGH.

Soccer’s PED problem would more like cycling and blood doping for cardiovascular reasons.

Different sports, different PEDs.

87. _sports_talk_860 says:

I’ve spent a lot of time in Mexico and I wouldn’t doubt the tainted meat theory. In fact, isn’t Memo always tweeting about some taqueria chain in Guadalajara?

I just can’t imagine that guy juicing. This is a shame. I was really looking forward to a full strength US-Mexico final, unlike that disgrace of a final two summers ago.

On the bright side, where’s el conejo perez these days? I’d love to see him with the seleccion one more time.

88. Memo says:

You don’t know much! The US has never beaten Mex with Ochoa on goal!

89. Vince says:

If he was any shorter he’d qualify to star in Wizard of Oz remakes….

90. DaveW says:

That was Salvador Carmona; he and Aarón Galindo tested positive at Confeds Cup before Germany WC. Both served a year suspension and came back to play, the difference being that Carmona tested positive again(forcing Cruz Azul to forfeit a playoff game)and was banned for life. Carmona has been busy suing FMF–and losing since then.

As to the subject at hand, the number of ways an athlete can get into trouble is pretty high-tainted supplements and such. And it is true that a lot of stuff is used on food animals, even in the US.

But then, the cyclists and track and field athletes are so good at doping and getting away with it that one sometimes wonders about players who have sudden improvements in their play.

91. kal says:

“Same ol’ Mexico?”

As compared to what other incidents? Enlighten me.

92. bob says:

Question for anyone….

Do they get to replace those players or are they down 5 guys????

thanks

93. Paul Thomas says:

Frankly, it’s a somewhat more plausible explanation than five players all slipping up and testing positive for the exact same drug at the exact same time.

I mean, either this cheating is the world’s worst kept secret, or it’s not cheating.

94. Alejandro says:

El Tri scum? Stay classy Nick …

95. bob says:

don’t know him personally, but he does seem like a stand up guy. Can’t remember when it was but during a game he was over by US players preventing Mexican fans from throwing crap on our players. (I think it was the US) I hope he does not get banned for a year. Unless he is 100% guilty

96. Alejandro says:

Hmm … Rodriguez’s absence will have the most impact, irreplaceable in my opinion.

97. St. Addi says:

The Suns doping scandal? A few guys doing coke in the 80’s? And its Walter Davis.

98. Brian says:

Ricky Williams? The dude smoked weed. Big effing deal

99. Seriously? says:

Sorry, but if you follow cycling, you’d know that every drug anybody ever gets caught with is blamed on tainted meat. Everybody is shocked that anybody could think this angel on earth would ever do something like that.

In my eyes, Cycling gets a bad rap, not because the drugs aren’t there, but cycling catches more because they do the most testing. When the MLB steroid story first hit the fan, some tried to claim that it couldn’t be true, claiming that steroids can’t help you hit a baseball, so there’d be no reason for players to take them.

I believe that PED’s are far more common across professional sports than many are willing to admit/accept. Athletes are always looking for an edge, and PED’s are one obvious edge that can’t be ignored.

100. Alejandro says:

Same ole’ simpleton cyber-warrior …

101. Alejandro says:

Agreed!

102. bob says:

Umm some of your examples were drug use not PED. Mary J and coke are not PED.

103. Jeff says:

Why would an asthma medication be a banned substance? Didn’t FIFA see Goal the Dream Begins? Santiago would never had made it at Newcastle, then Real Madrid, and finally the Gold Cup without his breather. He would not have been able date that cute nurse or cheat on her with the model in Madrid. Why would FIFA damage the best movie franchise since the Karate Kid?

Seriously though, why ban medication needed to help players with asthma breathe better?

104. MC Pharaoh says:

Nuh uhh… Marquez and Chicharito are addicted to Crystal Meth. duuhhh…

105. Brian says:

I think that’s what s-bah was trying to say.

106. Brian says:

Wasn’t it the World Cup?

107. MC Pharaoh says:

RICARDO OSORIO out of gold cup from illness… wow

Supposedly has a prostate problem. Thats 3 starters out for Mexico.

108. Kevin_Amold says:

Have the US SOCCER team tested positive for substances? Guess I should have been crystal clear.

The answer is no. And if they do, then we can talk.

109. Brian says:

I dunno it just seems weird that 5 players tested positive for the same thing. That makes me more likely to believe the tainted meat story. If it was just one player then yeah I’d probably say he was full of s*$t.

110. MC Pharaoh says:

I think the problem is that these 5 banned dont have asthma and they were using it so they could keep from being winded as easily. It would be like steroids for your lungs if you didnt have asthma. From what I have read…

111. Naboo says:

dont know why, but i find this hilarious!

112. Eric says:

I don’t believe pot is a performance-enhancing drug… you can remove Ricky Williams from your list. Gooch? you serious?!? He asked if any USMNT Players tested positive, I think the answer is no…

113. Brian says:

Can’t take credit for this one (got it off of twitter). But if Mexico and the US make it to the final, I say the “chicken dance” would be in good order.

114. chavftw says:

Ochoa is overrated because of his hair? Wow, you must have what people call a ‘soccer brain’.

115. Jeff says:

MC Pharaoh. That makes sense. So, if it was prescribed would it still have been a violation?

116. Dannyc says:

yeah, Corona is a better keeper he initially wasnt on the goldcup roster because of he head butted a coach, but this might change that

117. Marco Ricoy says:

You know nothing!!!

Ochoa is the most important loss. Talavera is only there because he’s Chepo’s man, his keeper at Toluca…he’s HORRIBLE!

118. Jeff says:

Yep, it was the World Cup. I wanted to tie it into the current story, so I changed it for fun.

119. Phil says:

too late, clearly…

120. Brian says:

Osorio didn’t start. The backline was
    Salcio-Maza-Moreno-Juarez

121. Phil says:

unless it was administered to them by team doctors and trainers….

122. Bubba says:

That was against Panama. Ochoa tried to settle the crowd throughout the game and once they were hostile he escorted the Panamanian player that had just gotten thrown out. Very chippy game.

123. Phil says:

logical eh… like this twaddle you just posted?

124. marden08 says:

Again the Mexicans are cunning. I think it was just a ploy so that they can get the headbutter on the field and he can take out are best two players at the time of the game, one with a headbut and the other with a karate chop to the carotid artery. You have to get up early to get ahead of the Mexicans.

125. Timber Dan says:

I’ll do this guy one better…

I AM Memo Ochoa.

126. Phil says:

exactly….

127. jpc says:

that’s too bad. things like this don’t benefit anyone

128. Steve says:

@ Kevin_amold

In Soccernomics, there’s that same theory. However, in that book they talked more about blonde players being noticed more, but same idea.

129. bottlcaps says:

Alberto Contador was tested positive for this same substance after last years Tour De France. His case is now going before the Court of Arbitration in Sport. Several cyclists have tested positive for Clerbuterol and coincidentally, have all been to Mexicao or Spain during a time frame where they were accused of using PEDs.

The real fact is that it is known that meat producers in both those countries use clerbuterol as an additive to the food stock for cattle. The amounts of clebuterol found in Contador’s system was found to be minute, but over the permissable threshold of positive. Clebuterol is such a small dose has no performance enhancing value, but may be an indicator or previous use of the drug thet would have an enhanced value, OR it could just be a residual of the drug found in a lot of meat in Mexico.

It is good that this has happened and is recieving attention and I am sure it will be resolved in a favorable way for the Mexican players (and Alberto Contador)

Food additives in many third worls countries are becoming a bane for drug testers in all sports. Lets hope that this can be taken care of in a timely matter and not be a negative to these players careers.

Mexico did the right thing, but they still can be in jeopardy if FIFA decides to forfeit their first Gold Cup game.

130. JM says:

Unless Ochoa who still a great career ahead of him is a complete Idiot, with a huge capital I, I don’t know how this could’ve happened.

What’s weird is the fact that the five of them tested positive for the same substance.

I just can’t picture Ochoa and Sinha hanging together getting jacked!

131. Jeremy says:

He would have been 5’2″ and 130lb without them, obviously.

132. Phil says:

The timing and incidence pattern of it all is indeed very strange. I do hope it’s a false positive or something, but given what you’ve posted Adrian, don’t you think the FMF would account for that (if they know that there is an increased likelihood of this being an ingestion problem)?

If you ask me, in team sports this is more often than not a problem that goes beyond the individual athlete. I am not absolving anyone from the choices they make, but I would not at all be surprised if it’s a case of trainers and doctors treating the athlete without their knowing or presenting the athlete with the option who then looks the other way. In the end the individual athlete takes the fall, but those “advisors” still hide in the shadows and keep on doing what they do. I’m not saying that that’s happening here, but athletes at this level do not… cannot live in a vacuum. How can people around them NOT know?

133. Phil says:

um, this doesn’t really have to be about the USA.

134. Phil says:

winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

135. Kenny_B says:

Great response, Contador’s Spanish Federation ban was overturned for just the very reason you are stating.

On another note, what the f*&k are we eating?

136. Kevin_amold says:

Absolutely! That’s my theory. Things like crazy hair draw the eye and one pays more attention than they would to another keeper/player with identical skills but with normal hair. Soccernomics speaks of a bias toward blonde players for this same reason. Which would explain why some people fall over theselves to priase Brek Shea, who for me is a pretty average player.

It’s just a theory, but I believe it.

137. JM says:

Also FYI, they are not banned from anything!!!

The Mexican Soccer Federation (FEMEXFUT) separated them from the group while they investigate the causes of this incident.

138. Kevin_Amold says:

YES!! Exactly. I didn’t see your response when I posted a second ago. I’ve always kind of felt this way about hair but only half-kidding, but when I read that chapter I believed that it could be true.

139. Jake says:

Messi was given growth hormone to treat a medical condition. Completely different

140. Modibo says:

It could also be that teammates are sharing performance-enhancing drugs. Look at the testimony of Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton against Armstrong… if this was a cycling team, this wouldn’t seem unusual at all.

I’m not saying they DID share an illegal substance, but there are other explanations than the ever-popular “tainted meat.”

141. Kenny_B says:

I don’t think it is either.

Plus it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for the keeper to take a drug that increases his aerobic capacity. The risks seem to far outweight the benefits to Ochoa.

Granted there seem to be other benefits to taking the drug, it seems to be a little like taking speed (only with longer effect) like baseball players like to do to keep you on your toes.

Maybe the boys couldn’t find any coke after their victory and decided to celebrate with Clenbuterol!

142. Kenny_B says:

What exactly does that mean?

Why are you not surprised? I’m totally cracking up by this.

143. Kenny_B says:

I would be stunned if there wasn’t massive blood doping. Swimming has the same issues.

144. Kenny_B says:

I would think they would be required to release the results. Not only would Mexico get disqualified but I think they would have to pay back money that they had earned from the tournament.

145. Kenny_B says:

That’s awesome. You forgot he wouldn’t have learned how to pass either.

146. Herb says:

Drugs, mexico, nothing to see here, move along please…

147. canchon says:

So if this group does not return, what realistically does it mean for the MNT? Most likely not much in the group stages, they will cruise past Cuba and finish either 1st or second in their group.

Where this hurts them is that they won’t be able to rest anyone for the 3rd game, and now will have to play the same back four every game for the rest of the tournament, or play someone out of position. As this gets into the knockout stages this might hurt as they will be exhausted.

Still, if they play their usual possession game and play keep away from the back 4 and Talavera, the MNT could still cruise into the finals with the attacking power that they have. But this might hurt if the US starts putting pressure on what will be an exhausted back line in the final.

148. canchon says:

yup, could find a loophole and they are all back for the knockout stages.

149. Jules Rice Bernot says:

One day I took my son who’s the keeper for the State Cup Champion U-12 team in my state to get a ball and jersey signed by Ochoa in a Mexico City Nike shop. We do this with keepers from all over the world. We waited three hours and behind more than 1500 people there. When we met him he spent more than fifteen minutes with us, asked my son everything about his school, our family, and of course his team. He told my son to love his country, teamates and family and indeed told us what a great keeper Howard is.

You should see the hysterics from some very pretty girls there. He was absolutely unfazed by it all and an absolute gentleman!

150. Ricky B. Free says:

On another note. There is a rumor going on, that Cuba only has 12 players after 6 of them have escaped the hotel.

151. John C. says:

You mean Corona is passing thru a better moment than Ochoa.
    This is not only a test of your skills, it has as much to do with your international experience in which case Corona can’t scrape the gum of the boots of Ochoa!

152. Marco says:

For the last time Talavera is SHITE!

153. MFT says:

Right, except that Contador was in France when he at his “tainted meat”. Or he was in Spain two months earlier, storing blood to re-use it doing the tour… Clen is a banned substance because it promotes weight loss, a nice advantage for a climber like Alberto. The Spanish overturned this ruling because they don’t want Alberto to lose the Yellow Jersey…

154. This Guy says:

Transvestites ring a bell?

155. canchon says:

bet the over in tonight’s game then.

156. Henry says:

How about not being able to go to Italy 90 and the one form that confederation cup a couple of years ago

157. Felix says:

Some of my thoughts on this. I’m awaiting to pass my own judgment on this. But there’s things that make me pause on both sides. If its from “tainted meat”, wouldn’t a lot more players be testing positive for this in Mexico right now? Plus, the fact that it was 5 guys from the same squad, it can point towards combined cheating. But it can point towards eating meat from the same place or from the same source as well. Also, the bigger names on this squad all have potential moves abroad, which would call in question the wisdom of doping (not that it is ever wise), but at the same time, maybe knowing that having a good Gold Cup would ensure that it would seal a potential move.
    I can easily formulate arguments that this is from “bad meat” and they are innocent, or that the “tainted meat” excuse are covering more dubious claimed. Either way, whatever type of testing the FMF has to do to ensure that this does come from bad meat I’m sure they are doing.
    Also, as a complete aside – how much “tainted meat” do you have to eat to test positive?

158. This Guy says:

What’s weird is the connection any of this has to do with the doping scandal?

159. Don Juan says:

don’t be naive! That’s what the FEMEXFUT sys. Both Carmona and Galindo, but especially Carmona have gone to court to dispute the charges. What Carmona has said is that what really happened, if he ever told, would make him fear for his safety.

Some say he screwed around with some of his teammates women!
    Specifically Rafa Marquez!

160. Stephen says:

Like Jozy? Too soon?

#sarcasm

161. KenC says:

Or the abuse is systemic, and the doc administering the bute made a mistake. The cases in Spain are borderline systemic, given the numbers of athletes involved (over 200 in Operation Puerto). Interestingly, the focus has been on the cyclists and track athletes, when supposedly 3/4 of the blood bags found in the Operation Puerto drug bust were from non-cyclists. Everyone assumes they were footballers from Madrid and Barca, but they are being protected. That’s why Operation Puerto was squashed. The only convictions have been by foreign cycling authorities.

162. Rob says:

Believe it was sarcasm…. I laughed at least

163. KenC says:

Spain and Mexico are NOT 3rd world countries. Spain is a developed country, and Mexico is a developing country. 3rd world countries are considered undeveloped countries.

As for your explanation of Contador’s positive, that’s the positive spin. The more cynical one is that Contador used bute, but that he did a blood transfusion, where the bute deteriorated over time, so that by the time he reinfused the blood, it was just trace levels. If you ask the Spanish authorities, the use of bute to promote meat growth has no longer been used for years, in the EU.

I agree that it will most likely be resolved in a favorable way, because the federations are the ones that administer punishment, and like in Spain where the federation protects their athletes, I have a feeling that the Mexican federation will do the same.

As for tainted chicken, this is the first time I’ve heard of bute in chicken. In the past, it’s always been beef. Why would a farmer bute a chicken?

164. KenC says:

But you don’t realize that the Federation is known for protecting their cyclists. The ICU will most likely challenge the Spanish ruling.

165. Jeremy2 says:

Well played sir. What makes it funny is the likelihood that a couple will try as soon as the team is knocked out.

166. Kodi says:

I’d rather beat a diminished side and gain the experience of playing in the Confed Cup in Brazil then say we lost to Mexico’s full squad and miss out on it.

167. Stephen says:

Well, if Ochoa is as good of a guy as everyone says, then I hope he didn’t dope. But, even if he did there are worse things he could have done.

168. Stephen says:

Well, not all restaurants/caterers/food service providers get all of their meat from the same farms so it just depends on where the meat came from. And since all the Mexican players probably ate meat from the same farm, there is “plausible deniability” here.

169. Stephen says:

All the Mexican players that tested positive that is…

170. chavftw says:

Sorry if it wasn’t clear, but I was being sarcastic. I didn’t really want to hear more about it.

171. Daniel says:

Osorio left for an unrelated matter, at least that was the official reason.

172. PCFC says:

It’s a SONG you idiots. Damn. People that write on Ives obviously never been in the US Supporters Section.

“Same ol’ (insert team)…ALWAYS CHEATING!”

173. Fred Garvin says:

Eat Organic chicken next time …

174. abc says:

Google famous vegetarian vegan athletes

175. abc says:

Breaking Mal

176. Northzax says:

As to all the tainted meat claims, they may be true, but this is embarrassing: link to tinyurl.com two months ago, the government and sport ministry vehemently denied a bute contamination problem…

177. bottlcaps says:

The teats that Contador failed were not consistent with how Clerbuterol is used as a PED.In addition WADA has been enforcing a “no tolerance” rule for this class of drugs in all all sports federations. What this means is that any “trace amounts” of certain classes of drugs, no matter how small, should and will be construed as a positive. While this may catch sophisticated cheats, it also scoops up those who may be innocent. Clerbuterol is used in the meat industry in many countries and eating meat treated with that drug does and can be detected in testing.

Case in point: In the 1984, the Olympic Gold medal winner in cycling, Alexi Grewal was found positive for opiates. His defense? He ate a bagel topped with poppy seeds prior to his event. This was seemed to be preposterous, but a year earlier, the UCI sent out a missive that warned that positives could appear because of consumption of poppy seeds. Poppy seeds are a relative to opium poppies and have a very similar chemical signature. As the UCI had ample evidence that this was false positive, no punitive action was taken. Since then, tests have become more precise and can tell the difference between the different opiate signatures, But it is still a tradition to not have poppy seed “anything” at the USOC Colorado Springs OTC cafeteria.

In the Floyd Landis case, he was found to have used steroids. His defense was that his body produced the ratio of epistesterone to testosterone naturally. However the steroids found in his system were artificial and had unknown markers, like EPO and CERA do now, and he was found guilty throughout all the appeals level.

In the Mexican players defense. It has long been known to the USOC and many international federations that meat found in certain third world countries and some European countries are tainted with Clerbuterol and players and athletes have been warned repeatedly. But its use is so systemic that many more athletes will be found positive before this is cleaned up.The meat that Contador claimed he consumed was brought from Spain and consumed in France. The cooks and chefs for many TdF teams routinely bring their own foodstuffs with them. In this case, Contador had a favorite cut of beef the chefs routinely cooked for him. This is normal. What was not was the Clebuterol tainted meat.

178. vivalosburros says:

Thanks Rob. You are correct. The fact that anyone may think that is serious only goes to show my point.

179. Paul Thomas says:

Oh, it’s extremely embarrassing for the Mexican GOVERNMENT– your meat is so screwed up, you can’t even keep your athletes from showing positive on drug tests? Really?

I just don’t think it’s actual cheating.

180. Bigprof says:

you’re too intelligent to be on this site. I wish there was a site geared towards an intellectual man’s view of the beautiful game, a site free of trollish, immature and name-calling comments. (mex. team are druggies)

181. Bigprof says:

Mexicans by nature are very sharing people.

182. bearusky says:

For those of you who do not know, clenbuterol is used by several body builders to enhance the metabolism in order to cut up before a show. it supposedly increases you body temperature as well. Ive known runners who use it because it enhances their cardiovascular endurance…sooooooooo…yeah tainted meat….i buy the stuff to add to cutting cycles as well and get the stuff dirt cheapo in MEXICO>>hey its legal. its for my asthma lol

183. Powderhorn Pops says:

EAT ORGANIC/GRASS FED/FREE RANGE MEAT!!!!

184. al17 says:

He’s not going to PSG

185. al17 says:

LMAO

186. Jamie Z. says:

So the ability to suspend reason and thoughtful judgment in favor of an irrational burning hatred is something you’re bragging about?

Whether or not this is “just a game”, such toxic modes of thinking are why we still have internecine wars and ethnic cleansing in the world today.

187. Alex G says:

There´s no excuse for this, they are professional athletes and they should know better, if you live or eat in Mexico and you are familiar with the veterinary practices in Mexico, then take the appropriate precautions and avoid getting suspended, this is not entiely the players fault, but life is like that.

Go USA.

188. Kevin_Amold says:

Well, it wasn’t clear, and I’m not even certain how sarcasm applies to your other comment.

Admit it, you want to like the theory….

189. rob says:

Did you not read that very long, intelligent, well-balanced exchange above that covered very plausible reasons as to how these players might have tested false positives?

Yea, thought so.

190. dycsoccer17 says:

Mexico cheats. They dive, embellish, and do whatever they have to do to win. This is not surprising to me at all. These are professional athletes. They have the best trainers in the world, and they should know what they are ingesting, whether it be sketchy chicken (unlikely) or injections. The Mexicans believe it was worth the risk; and even if they got caught, a year ban before the WC qualifying cycle is no big deal for them.

191. PCFC says:

That was not my defense as it wasn’t their point.

192. Jack says:

Oh Americans don’t cheat? You’ve done it in every single sport and specially in Olympic Sports.

I didin’t see any Mexican’s diving in their two Gold Cup matches unlike Depsey vs Canada.

And even without the “dopies” they won cinco a cero AGAIN!

193. ARTES says:

ha ha ha.. maybe he will headbutt Bob Bradley and we can get a real coach

194. Gary Charles says:

How would a drug that increases cardiovascular performance help a keeper? Seriously, looking at what this drug is supposed to do, why would *any* keeper take it? It makes no sense.

195. Brian says:

Ochoa, while he may be a standup guy and a nice person, is probably the most overrated Mexican player ever. So many Mexicans I know think he’s better than Tim Howard and Brad Friedel.

196. DingDong says:

197. Welshbean says:

I am being told the Clerbuterol was covertly administered by our very own Seal Team Six in an operation name “Loco Pollo” in an attempt to remove “the Mexican team winning the gold cup” memo circulating Washington. Just saying!

198. mexicanbluefish says:

I am a HUGE USNT fan living in Mexico and I can definitely attest to the f—– up pork raising practices down here… this drug keeps the pork lean and there is pork in A LOT of food and cooking oils….

199. Ray Tango says:

why would a goal keeper need a drug like this?

200. Gary Charles says:

An obvious question that not many people seem to be asking.

201. Dudeabides says:

Why would a goal keeper use PEDs?