SBI MLS Player of the Week: Brad Evans

Brad Evans (ISIPhotos.com)

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

The Seattle Sounders lost Steve Zakuani for the season and O'Brian White for an extended period of time, meaning they needed some players to step up if they were going to continue their recent unbeaten streak.

Brad Evans answered the call for Seattle, scoring two goals and adding an assist in the Sounders' 3-0 win against Toronto FC on Saturday. The performance earned Evans this week's SBI MLS Player of the Week honors.

Evans beat out a strong collection of candidates, including Houston's Will Bruin, Chivas USA's Alejandro Moreno and the Columbus Crew's Emilio Renteria.

What did you think of Evans' performance? Who was your pick for this week's MLS Player of the Week?

This entry was posted in MLS- Seattle Sounders, SBI MLS Player of the Week. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to SBI MLS Player of the Week: Brad Evans

1. Corey says:

No love for Will Bruin? Or are games like that just expected from him? Impressive for a rookie.

(SBI-Could have gone either way, and Bruin is definitely a deserving candidate, but Evans was the pick this week.)

2. Tim says:

All current or former Crew Players…NICE!

3. Swabb says:

A hat trick by Will Bruin doesn’t deserve a mention?????????? Wow!!!!!!

4. Dustyn says:

Yeah, this is a huge omission. Bruin owned DC and is a rookie. Wow…

5. Rowsdower says:

Bruin.

6. mightymightysounders says:

Best we have seen of Evans in a sounders uniform…Player of the week for sure!

i will give you guys that Bruin was pretty incredible though

7. Pepe says:

Are you kidding me? Bruin is the obvious winner, but doesn’t even get mentioned as one of the contenders!? SBI’s status as the gold standard of MLS reporting is looking increasingly dubious…

(SBI-It was just an error Pepe, settle down. This was the same morning I did both Player of the Week and Rookie of the Month write-ups. Sometimes a name gets dropped. Took two seconds to correct, no need to get crazy.)

8. Berlin says:

No Bruin? Your award is invalid.

9. ImaGoalMan says:

Should Bruin have been in the conversation…yes. Should he have won…maybe.

I tend to root for the Sounders, so I am pleased with Brad Evans’ winning the honor, but also glad we have so many deserving performances league-wide.

10. Travis says:

Why was there no coverage at all of this game on this site? I was a bit confused by that, it was never even mentioned here pretty much every other game got a write up. Also Evans was good but Bruin was probably more deserved.

(SBI-We don’t have the manpower to cover every match. We get to as many as we can, and this week we got to a good number of matches. Sometimes we’ll miss one. Hopefully the day comes when we get to every single match, but we’re not there yet.)

11. k says:

Yes Buin scored three but Evans had two and an assist as well as some big defensive plays still I would like to see someone who didn’t score goals get some mention. Most goals are just finishing all the work others have done building to that point.

12. DeLarge says:

Evans had a great game.

Bruin had an amazing game. All great finishes.

Evans got one on a pk, so that’s why I give the edge to Bruin.

13. Frenchy says:

Bruin, hands down.

14. JD says:

Will Bruin

15. mightymightysounders says:

Evans stepped up HUGE to fill a void after we lost 2 starters last week. He was involved in all 3 goals and incredible off the ball…I take nothing away from Bruins fantastic game but Evans deserves player of the week

16. PutAbirdOnIt says:

Quality over quantity

17. Jeremy says:

I was wondering the same exact thing.

18. Berlin says:

Bruin is a back up player to the injured Brian Ching. Hat Tricks are by definition quality and extremely rare.

19. Travis says:

@ SBI, I figured that was it. Thanks for answering the question.

20. Sam says:

I saw both games. Bit of a coin flip.

21. A wise man once says:

Re-read the article: “Evans beat out a strong collection of candidates, including Houston’s Will Bruin….”

(SBI-It was an oversight on my part to not list Bruin on the original list of candidates. Happened to be the same morning I did the Rookie of the Mont write-up. Not sure how anyone can think I’m not a fan of Will Bruin. I’m the guy who picked him to be Rookie of the Year when the season began and talked him up as the steal of the draft on draft day. Come on Dynamo fans, are you memories that short? Haha.)

22. Rowsdower says:

Thanks for editing post to reflect Bruin’s excellent performance.

23. Pepe says:

Haha- yes but the article was modified

24. A wise man once says:

Which is why I don’t make comments about article errors much, for fear Ives will correct them and make me look stupid :)

25. Irene Mathieu says:

Brad is awesome: always at the right place at the right time.

26. Buster says:

The thing that gets me is that Bruin should be a Sounder. If only we hadn’t traded that pick to Portland who traded it to Houston… Draft day fail.

27. WileyJ says:

Keep wondering how bad this will look in years to come. My thoughts, Sounder F.O. fail -1 or -100 ?

28. Chris in Oakland says:

Evans went to UC Irvine.

Rip ‘Em Eaters! Zot! Zot! Zot!!!

29. Buster says:

Yeah, hard to tell on that one. I kept hoping we’d pick him and was surprised/hopeful when he didn’t go top 4,5,6…. After we traded our pick and Houston got him I was PISSED. It was a pleasant surprise to get Tetteh at 21 but who would you rather have? Tetteh or Bruin? No question it’s Bruin. I think Tetteh will be good down the road but he’s not going to see any minutes for the Sounders for a while.

30. Pepe says:

Fair enough- I need to chill my fanboyness sometimes. Love the site, keep it up.

31. Dizzo says:

Hindsight is 50-50. But we sure could use a big target guy like Bruin now that Nkufo is gone and O’Brian White is out.

32. Buster says:

Yeah it is usually, but not really in this case. That guy was a beast in college and some mock drafts had him as high as 3. He was a pretty secure pick. oh well, it is what it is…