Red Bulls dominate D.C. in 4-0 win

Jlamls042111003

Photo by Jose L. Argueta/ISIphotos.com

By THOMAS FLOYD

WASHINGTON – After a modest start to the season, the star-studded New York Red Bulls are officially living up to the hype.

Striker Thierry Henry notched two goals and an assist, Joel Lindpere and Juan Agudelo added strikes of their own, and New York put together its second straight emphatic win with a 4-0 triumph at Atlantic Cup rival D.C. United on Thursday.

"I told you guys at the beginning of the season, once we start to score, I think we’re going to score a lot," Henry said.

Henry continued his good run of form after recording his first goal of the season during New York's 3-0 win over San Jose last week, appearing well recovered from the hamstring and Achilles ailments that bothered him earlier in the campaign.

He opened the scoring in the 12th minute. A clever touch from midfielder Dane Richards freed right back Jan Gunnar Solli, who sent in a precise service that Henry nodded past D.C. goalkeeper Bill Hamid.

The Red Bulls (3-1-2) doubled their advantage in the 38th minute when the Richards-to-Solli-to-Henry combination struck again. This time, Richards chipped to Solli as the defender made a run into the penalty area. The Norwegian's subsequent off-balance centering feed fell to Henry, who thumped it off Hamid and into the back of the net.

"I think it's a lot with the health issue definitely," Red Bulls coach Hans Backe said of Henry's improved play. "Because if you have some pain, you can't be as explosive as you want to and you can't run the way you want to."

To United (2-3-1), the match marked a step back after the team picked up a 3-0 win in Toronto last week. Although D.C. did enjoy stretches of encouraging play, the final ball in the attacking third was lacking and its defensive miscues were ruthlessly punished by New York.

"There was some good stuff out there at times," United coach Ben Olsen said. "I think we fouled up a couple plays that cost us. They're a good team. If you make mistakes, they have got guys who know how to punish you. We didn't do a good enough job on Thierry in the first half. We let him make the game."

Said Backe: "I would say D.C. is the best team we've played against so far. It sounds strange when you win 4-0, but the way [United] plays, the way they defend — we got them on the breaks, but they played well. We had trouble today."

After protecting the two-goal advantage for most of the second half, New York piled it on late. Lindpere added the third tally in the 76th minute when he collected a pass near midfield from Henry and charged through the empty space in front of him before beating D.C. midfielder Clyde Simms with a vicious cut and slotting his finish past Hamid.

Substitute Juan Agudelo then capped off the win in spectacular fashion, flicking a low pass from Solli up to himself and volleying the shot home in the 92nd minute.

It was the third assist of the night for Solli, whose overlapping runs were a thorn in the side of United left back Marc Burch throughout the contest.

"Jan Gunnar was more than active on that right-hand side," Henry said. "He created a lot for us tonight."

But not every Red Bull's contributions showed up in the box score. Teemu Tainio looked sharp for New York as he dictated possession from his deep central midfield role and came up with a few timely tackles.

Centerbacks Rafael Marquez and Tim Ream did well to deny D.C.'s strikers service, and Bouna Coundoul made his case to retain the starting job in goal ahead of the now-healthy Greg Sutton, preserving the shutout with several stellar saves.

"They're a good all-around team at every position," United defender Dejan Jakovic said. "They definitely knew what to do with the two-goal lead that they had."

One United player who came close to unlocking New York's defense was midfielder Branko Boskovic. The Montenegro international, who has struggled to find playing time this season despite his Designated Player status, entered at halftime and struck woodwork on two shots, including a 30-yard free kick.

The Red Bulls became the first team to hold D.C. striker Charlie Davies off the score sheet in this young MLS season, although he did fluster New York's back line with pace throughout his 60 minutes on the pitch. In the first half, a clear breakaway for Davies was whistled dead for an offside call television replays showed was incorrect.

For United, it was that kind of evening.

"I don't think we executed on that final ball where we could have took advantage of them a couple of times," Davies said. "I think a lot of it was my fault. I felt I didn't get involved enough. I wasn't as dangerous as I could have been, but it's just a learning curve and we're going to have those days."

This entry was posted in BREAKING NEWS, Major League Soccer, MLS- D.C. United, MLS- New York Red Bulls. Bookmark the permalink.

128 Responses to Red Bulls dominate D.C. in 4-0 win

1. bryan says:

i thought olsen had some questionable tactics tonight. should have sacrificed a defender for boskovic instead of dax. charlie should have stayed on. and while i think najar would have been nice to see, i didnt mind seeing santino.

but it’s not all on olsen. NY showed up to play, DCU couldn’t catch a break.

2. GSScasual says:

Grinning from ear to ear….. ecstatic.

3. scott says:

true class was on hand tonight – and it wasnt in a United uniform. all you really have to say about tonight.

4. Hans Backe says:

Hinga Dinga Durma

5. Happy Camper says:

Not too bad…..not to bad at all!!!

HC

6. thatguy says:

color me insensitive to the human interest piece, but I’m taking Agudelo over Davies all summer long..

7. Sabo C says:

Nice result for the red bulls, but didn’t like the way they defended the last 10 minutes and De Ro looked poor.

8. CILII_blog says:

Teemu Tainio was a great pick up for NYRB.
    And that goal by Juan, it wasn’t too bad either.

9. John in FL says:

awesome game and my jaw dropped on Agudelo’s goal…..Hope he doesn’t catch an Adu or Altidore and stays grounded, the future of our MNT.

10. A wise man once says:

Frowning from ear to ear….. ANGRY.

11. A wise man once says:

:( -1

12. VADCUfan says:

Well atleast NYRB can say good by to Agudelo sooner rather than later. You guys always seem to ship your talent overseas then revert to mediocrity. Hopefully this will follow that pattern.

13. Sir Knox says:

______________
    visualization of the Bar
    New York Red Bulls
    Nuff said

14. mbw says:

I agree, of course, but I also thought Davies looked pretty good. The midfielders missed his runs time and again, and the only time they played him in quick enough the linesman blew the call.

15. Spacemonkey says:

Looking like Backe won’t let that happen, he needs him for his team, and he’s doing the USMNT a major favor by keeping his head on straight.

Also glad to see someone finally get a bee up Henry’s bonnet, that’s the guy we were expecting to show up when we signed him.

16. john.q says:

that agudelo goal better be #1 on ESPN’s Top 10 plays

17. If anyone had any doubts Agudelo isnt Henry’s apprentice, those questions have been answered after that goal. here’s a link to that goal Harkes referred to when Agudelo scored.

link to youtube.com

18. donttreadonme says:

Yeah, Agudelo’s goal was jaw dropping. I think we saw two of our best hopes in USMNT forwards tonight. Davies, in my opinion, had a decent game. Taking Dax out was a foolish decision I think. Once he was yanked, DC lost a lot in the mid. However, I will say that Boskovic (?), I think I heard he was from Montenegro, looked awesome! It’s a shame none of his shots went in – they were pretty!

DC United walked into a bar.

19. GSScasual says:

I watch Agudelo’s goal in complete laughter and tears…. What an unbelievable beauty of a goal…… MLS goal of the year….

20. spencer says:

he has a long ways to go to match that, but he’s still young and has a lot of potential

21. GSScasual says:

*tears of joy

22. canchon says:

Can we please see a replay with Ray Hudson narrating? If that had been scored by Messi you’d have to call the ambulance because Hudson would have a heart attack.

“Brilliant!!!!!!”

23. canchon says:

NYRB has scored seven goals in the past two games and DeRo has been invisible. Scary if they play to this level AND have DeRo heat up. He can start by taking corners and free kicks because Rafa isn’t getting it done.

24. Troy says:

Great showing by the red bulls. Proud season ticket owner here.

25. St. Addi says:

I have to believe Agudelo will be starting next match no matter what. Not just because of that incredible goal, but Rodgers has got to be suspended for that haymaker he through. How did no official see that?

26. canchon says:

Tainio 2011 = Lindpere 2010

27. irishapple21 says:

4-0. Ha ha ha ha ha!

28. irishapple21 says:

DC fans, welcome to a new modern era in MLS. Get used to scores like that when you play RBNY. And next time, bring some kryptonite if you want to have a chance against the Red Bulls.

29. Brett says:

4-4-2 with Agudelo and Davies could be worth the price of admission. Agudelo and Altidore are similar players, so Jozy would become Juan’s backup.

30. GSScasual says:

talk about ALLL the past MLS cups you want…. back when we had shot clocks, shoot-outs, NO CLASS ON THE PITCH…. its 2011. a MERE 15 years has gone by, a drop in the bucket… NYRB is the jewel….. our respectable football culture in the US starts now, and it starts with NYRB (and also ReAl Salt Lake)

31. Scott A says:

As long as I’m breathing
    I’ll sing for the METRO

Strange, DC fans kept telling me that NY would get put in its place tonight. Mesoconfused. Cuatro a cero.

32. RBNY FAN says:

As a Metro/RBNY supporter from the beginning, I don’t know what I enjoyed more:

1) Henry scoring two

2) Agudelo’s brilliant golazo

3) The Lindepere goal which left Mr. Hairdo, Clyde simms on his badonkadonk looking foolish.

DC – The team of the 90s’…Onward to Baltimore!!!

33. Murphy says:

Agudelo’s goal was awesome! I watched into extra time because he was in the game I thought he might get one.

Whoever posted above about DeRo not really playing well yet is totally right. He’s clearly adjusting to the new team and they’re still dominating. When he gets going they’ll be even better.

34. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

And said ouch?

35. Scott A says:

MAGIC. ORGASMIC. And my favorite from yesterday’s Copa del Rey final:
    Something like, “The supporters are having all kinds of tingling in their trousers.”

36. Scott A says:

Thoroughly enjoyed that demolition. To be fair, however, I’d say that a three goal margin might have been more indicative of the run of play. DCU should still be a decent team this year. Also, one thing about soccer in the US is how even in a blowout between bitter rivals, we didn’t have to deal with bitch moves at the end. In the end, was a fair and square 4-0 result.

37. Taylor says:

agreed, it looks like Backe is handling this very well. notice how Agudelo started the first few games, and then the hype machine went nuts after the Argentina game, and now he has sat/super subbed the last few games. Backe wants to slow down the hype machine and let him stay and progress, rather than get snatched up like Altidore/Adu/etc., which i am all for. what a goal though. my word, i was in disbelief. he knew exactly what he was trying to do, perfect technique, you just don’t see that in a lot of young players. pure class

38. PetedeLA says:

Why is Red Bulls’ right back better than the best player at all the other teams?

Seriously,with Henry apparently ready to play I don’t see how you stop this Red Bulls team.

But maybe DCU just are that bad. They looked like a high school team in comparison.

39. Joe says:

Agudelo’s goal here:

link to nytv.neulion.com

40. Kirk soccer says:

what are you kidding? Altidore does not even come close to Agudelo or Davies for one simple fact…..he doesn’t score any goals!

Jozy is soooo overrated.

Beautiful, creative, quick goal from Juan Agudelo!

41. Aaron in StL says:

Solli was amazing. Hopefully some of our young outside backs can develop his type of tactical awareness as they grow.

Had to watch later on DVR… glad it didn’t cut off before injury time in the 2nd half. For such a young kid, Agudelo sure knows how to make an impact in limited minutes. Man…

42. Phil says:

DCU looked a little shellshocked in all the tape I’ve seen… Full marks to NY for scoring 4, but how much of a fight did DCU put up? (missed the game).

BTW that Agudelo goal will be a finalist for goal of the year. Unbelievable stuff.

43. Kirk soccer says:

After seeing that goal from Agudelo, I was thinking…..Jozy who???

44. GunneRR says:

I thought Lindpere was poor tonight. He isn’t the same player on the wing.

45. UnionCityAthletic says:

Beautiful just freakin’ beautiful! Sublime…………..

46. GunneRR says:

RBNY fan and season ticket holder here. I love the result, but DCU had the better of play most of the game.

Bulls were on their heels all second half, until TH14 set up Lindpere on a counter. Only the bar kept DCU from getting within 2-1, and then it would have gotten scary.

47. Jim D. says:

This new modern era is how many games old? Nice win tonight but your trophy case is still empty.

48. UnionCityAthletic says:

Hahahaha! Awesome post!

49. Patrick says:

Maybe, but his goal was sweet.

50. Jim D. says:

The jewel? Again, nice win tonigh, NY clearly the better team by a wide margin. But it’s a win vs. a mediocre DC team (saying this as a DC fan). You Still. Haven’t. Won. Anything. Do this to RSL, Colorado, and LA, then you might have something.

51. scott47a says:

Couple thoughts from a WestCoaster:

1) As the MLS continues to mature and get better, some of the talent that used to be “good enough” for MLS is going to wash out. Marc Burch is my example of that tonight. He was totally owned on his side of the field. Three of the four goals were started over there and, in general, Solli and Richards were in complete control of the right side (DC’s left). I think Burch is simply not good enough. You might be able to make a case that Clyde Simms has a similar problem too.

2) DC needs better wide midfielders. Perhaps Najar should be playing on the right with Fred on the left. Then Pontius could be the platoon player with Charlie Davies up top.

3) I think you can argue that Boskovic deserves a start after his performance today. He was probably the most threatening DC player in the second half.

52. Louis Z says:

I think bunbury would have something to say.

53. Mario says:

Agudelo is special. I hope he starts next game.

54. Matt says:

The bar you drink at?

55. Hopper says:

I was watching the game, and DC really made it easy for New York. I mean, Henry was unmarked on both of his goals, and they consistently gave the ball away very cheaply throughout the game.

Good job, New York, but I think my Sunday league team would have had a chance against DC tonight.,

56. Tony in Quakeland says:

Agudelo = Unreal. Amazing. Astonishing/

But more incredibly…when did Dane Richards become so freaking clever? Started to great goal sequences with intelligent, clever passes. When did this happen?

57. Shooter says:

The worst part about that game was Harkes. Listening to him almost makes the game unwatchable.

58. Shooter says:

Agudelo over Divin’ Davies any day of the week!

59. Porthill says:

good points…DC has a ways to go

60. T Mo says:

Give them credit for putting pressure on in the end…They seemed to find their groove offensively, but Bouna was big-time.

61. Joamiq says:

Imagine them up top together for the US.

62. Sonny says:

RSL who?

63. Joamiq says:

Yeah, good call. We shipped Altidore overseas and clearly struggled last year and are mediocre this year.

4-0.

64. DivineRight says:

He’s hurt.

65. mug says:

Agree 100% on Rafa’s corners and free kicks. DeRo does look a bit off the pace, but he did have that nice release pass for Solli on the Aguedelo goal. I think his form will pick up soon and then we will be deadly.

66. Joamiq says:

Richards’ two hockey assists were the biggest surprises of the night

67. Tim F. says:

Fantastic result. Great team defending. The unselfish play is helping the team reach this next level. They did not control possession as much this game but there was effective movement in the final third and lethal precision in finishing by Thierry and Juan. Glad the captain had a stellar game. Jan, three assists, and Dane, two assists, combined magnificently and were key tonight. Bouna with two HUGE saves to help keep a comfortable lead. Can’t say enough all season about Rafa and Teemu including tonight; hope they can keep it up. Solid performances by Joel, Tim, Roy and Luke as well. I like how Dwayne tracks back and helps out defensively but waiting for him to integrate more effectively in transition and in the final third.

Not a single soccer fan in the NY metropolitan area has a justifiable excuse for not supporting this team.

68. abc says:

MAJESTERIAL!!

He loves that word.

69. mug says:

I take that back. I just watched the highlights, it was Balouchy with the nice pass. DeRo was walking in the center of the pitch.

70. Jason B says:

I’m an LA fan but its refreshing to see a team like NY play up to its talent level. The RSL vs. NY games should be fun to watch. Its good that neither game will be during the Gold Cup too.

71. Magas says:

What specifically is your problem with him? What would you want from an analyst?

72. Brendan says:

Lindpere’s workhorse style of play has been overshadowed by Rodgers, I think. When Rodgers came off, space opened up for Lindpere with a beautiful result.

73. all day long says:

Agudelo certainly stole Davies thunder.

74. Brendan says:

I was pleasantly surprised to see Richards stop trying to do it himself and play the ball more. Allowed Solli to came forward.

75. jpc says:

Agudelo’s goal was ridiculous. Hopefully the outside back keep up their strong play, they’re gonna be crucial all year… I like that Henry is scoring, but he still looks like maybe he’s not fully fit, he used to glide, his running now looks labored a bit… Overall ecstatic.

76. Wes says:

At exactly 15 seconds into the “Agudelo shows his class video” on mlsnet, you can hear somebody say, “Oh my god.” Im debating if it’s the shock of an awesome goal by Agudelo, or if it’s a DC fan shocked about the score.

77. Jeff Awesome says:

You are right on about Thierry Henry Ives. It looks as if he is playing with more passion now.

78. NF says:

You don’t really even have to watch NYRB play to know this is the best team ever assembled in MLS, and there is no close second (I’m a Crew fan). True, that doesn’t guarantee results on the field, so we’ll see what happens when they play teams better than DC.

I know a lot of people want to downplay this result, but New York should be beating teams 4-0 on a somewhat regular basis in the future. This is as close to a super club as you can have with the current MLS structure.

79. MiamiFCforever says:

Only one U.S player in the redbulls starting lineup.

80. abc says:

Are you serious?
    Harkes is as bad as it gets.

81. abc says:

RSL isn’t too bad, either.

82. Matt S says:

And?

They are developing Ream and Agudelo for the USMNT. They’re filling their quota on fielding quality Americans to help the national team. I think they have earned a pass.

83. Troy says:

This is an accurate statement but who cares? I want to see quality soccer and if this very-international NYRB team plays it then so be it. Ream and Agudelo are some of the best the USMNT has rising up so there is nothing more the red bulls owe the USMNT.

84. donttreadonme says:

‘Always two there are, a master, and an apprentice.’

‘But which one destroyed DCU more, the master or the apprentice?’

85. Dr.MonkeyArmy says:

Yeah, those 4 goals in 17 National Team appearances really set Davies apart and establishes himself as a monster goal scorer.

86. CJ says:

As a NYRB fan, don’t say that. RSL is still nasty, and DCU had plenty of opportunities last night. Wait until we actaully play them.

87. cj says:

It made #4 this morning, not too bad!

88. emelesero says:

One yank in the entire starting 11?

Red Bull hates America!

89. Korey says:

The picture looks like Henry is putting the flag in his butt.

90. GSScasual says:

our two yanks that we are grooming are the BEST prospects the USMNT has… thats what NYRB/METRO do. produce only the best US talent… look back.

91. Sir_Knox says:

The 4 Nil

92. Sir_Knox says:

The 4 Nil

93. Don Pelayo says:

Agudelo’s goal was sublime. Definitely the goal of the season so far. But, if Davies continues to improve, why not have both on the Gold Cup roster? It’s not like we have a queue of quality forwards behind Altidore.

94. Standard_Deviance says:

Richards has been consistently dangerous (at least by his standards) since he went on a bit of a goal scoring run in the middle of last season. The less he dribbles, the better he seems to do.

95. Chris says:

LR should get some credit for the 2nd goal. He (legally, just barely)obstructed about 1/2 the DCU team so Henry was unmarked when he got the ball.

96. Should've done Better says:

Agree with Burch comments, he was brought in to play defense but he played in midfield at Maryland and has never really been comfortable in the back, someone should have called time on that experiment a while ago.

I don’t know why Najar didn’t get on the field when he could have come in for Burch in the back or Fred on the flank and been a major upgrade in either of those positions.

Clyde Simms is worn down from the last few years. He probably has played the most minutes on the team the last 2/3 seasons.

Fred is not a player you put on the flank in a 4-4-2. He always ends up in the middle clogging up the space. He did complete some passes which to me is unusual but credit to him. However, just like he always does, he hung onto the ball way to long and lost posession many times leading to RedBull counters. Also as always, his shooting accuracy was terrible. He whiffs more shots on goal than anyone in the league. At this point I don’t know how he finds his way into the starting 11. Nowak figured that out last year but we brought him back for a 2nd time.

I’m also confused about Olsen’s tactics last night. I think Dax is struggling a bit, but I would have kept him and Davies in the game and brought in Bosko for Simms and Najar for Fred to try to push for goals. Don’t get me wrong, hindsight is always 20/20 but those choices left me scratching my head a bit.

Still and always a DCU fan though!

97. eurosnob says:

Dude, you can’t be serious if you are suggesting that NYRB will be consistently beating DCU 4-0. Perhaps you should listen to what Backe said about DCU. It is one of the games when the final score did not fully reflect what occurred on the field. Although NYRB fully deserved the win, it was one of those games where everything goes right for one team and everything goes wrong for another team. DCU had most of possession and plenty of scoring chances, but did not score (hitting woodwork twice, several great saves from NY keeper, an incorrect offside call by the ref on Charlie Davis, etc). On the other hand, NYRB had clinical finishing, scoring on almost every shot they took (except for De Rosario) – they were also aided by two big defensive miscues on the first two goals. I was particularly impressed with Henry, who showed his class and was the difference maker, and Solli, who tormented Burch on the wing and hit several great crosses. This game, I think, was quite different from what I heard from NY fans yesterday, who were claiming that NYRB will have 65%+ possession but were concerned about poor finishing habbits of the team. But in this game, DCU had most of possession (60% after the first half and even more in the second half), yet NYRB won because they counterattacked efficiently and their finishing was excellent. I also thought that NYRB keeper had an excellent game.

98. K-Town says:

Pretty true. Tim Howard, Altidore, and Bradley all came from Metro/NYRB. There is a track record of developing good talent there. And Ream and Agudelo are there now, studying under Marquez and Henry. Not too bad.

Also, the roster is 30 players deep. I think there are 8 international spots on a team (green card holders don’t count towards intl spots. If the majority of the starting XI are foreigners then so be it. Let the Americans step up their game. Competition is good. Isn’t that actually the American way? Besides, with all the new teams in MLS’s expansion years, the talent diluted a little in the league and the development acadamies and reserve legue have not been around long enough to bear fruit yet. In 5-10 years you will see more local talent that is good enough.

99. elgringorico says:

yeah let’s not get too excited, NY definitely deserved the win but they didn’t control the pace of the game. DC just forgot to cover Henry, only one of the most lethal strikers of all time on a couple crosses. RSL > NY

100. Phil says:

I was waiting for the “only one American” comment to roll out… sure, lets go back to the days of Mike Magee and John Wolyneic – both hard working, blue collar players, but from a soccer fan’s standpoint, tough to watch. I have watched Metro’/NYRB since inception, and this present team is CLASS!

101. Patrick says:

That might only work when you say it to Arsenal and Chelsea fans.

102. gas huffer says:

Oh we HATE DC!
    And we HATE DC!
    We HATE DC!
    Yes we HATE DC!

Oh we HATE DC!
    Yes we HATE DC!

We are the DC HATERS!

XOXO,
    -Metro

103. Patrick says:

MLS your on notice till at least to next Saturday against SKC.

104. eurosnob says:

GunnerRR, it’s refreshing to finally see a sober and intelligent analysis from a NYRB fan. It get an impression that some fans are so smitten by the score line that they forgot how the game developed. I think that your analysis is very similar with what Backe said about the game.

105. glaing says:

I agree, Tim Howard, Juan Agudelo, Tim Ream, and yes they got MB and Jozy into Europe.

106. Ryan says:

Yup. Robbie Findley is back to training- if CD9 isn’t on the roster, we may have to deal with THAT again.

107. glaing says:

Sure, they built that stadium in the U.S. Developing a good academy program with several club teams (which is developing American talent). I think they are doing a good job. Plus as a fan, I want RBNY to win a championship and if this team does it, I’m fine with that.

108. Kevin says:

I think NY has done more then their share of helping out the USMNT if you look at the world cup squad last year the MLS team with the most former players that were on the squad were from NY (howard, bradley, clark, jozy) plus if you look at the last call ups only 4 mls players were called up donovan and dermerit are both dps the other 2 would be the 2 americans that played for NY last night. NY is just not going to give you a start just bc you are american you need to be good which can only be good for the USMNT and we have a few bright stars on the bench and reserves like keel and kassel who will get their time in the spotlight come gold cup time.

109. Eurosnob says:

I agree with you to an extent on Burch. Burch looked like a deer in the headlights last night, but he usually does OK against most MLS team. I think Richards and Solli were a really bad match up for him – he is OK technically, but he could not handle their speed and was caught out of possition several times. I think the coach instructed him to sit back to compensate for the difference in speed, but it pretty much put Pontius at a numerical disadvatage upfront and Solli/Richards did not have to worry as much about tracking back and could mostly focus on attacking. I thought that Solli had an outstanding game with his overlapping runs and crosses.

110. readte12 says:

RSL who..? Oh yeah, that one MLS club that is on the threshold of becoming the first to represent our country in the Club WC.

111. Waterlewd says:

Too harsh. Sometimes it’s so simple to criticize individuals. Burch isn’t the best LB in MLS for sure, but he was left on an island by his teammates too much. He needed cover and never really got it. It was poor team defending that led to the goals. But the poor defending was across the entire backline — failing to pick up Henry TWICE in the box. Come on now, no excuse there. Tactics were working through the midfield and DC had good possession — it was the timing of runs by Davies and Wolff that seemed disconnected from each other and other midfield players. How many runs did the forwards make that were too early or too late? It just looked awkward. It’s a new season with new players and that understanding is going to take time. Goals will come for DC because the build up is smooth and the space is there for the forwards to attack. They need to sort out their defending because the starting positions, marking and communication was bad.

112. Kire DCU says:

Ream will obviously get some caps with the national tean, but he’s too slow for international play generally.

113. USfan says:

Disagree.

114. Eurosnob says:

Kirk, you are a bit harsh on Altidore. He lead USMNT in scoring in the qualification tournament last year – he also scored against Spain in the Confederations Cup. Also, when Altidore played in MLS he had 15 goals in 37 appearances (0.4 goal per game). Playing for the same team, Agudelo has 2 goals in 7 appearances (0.3 goals per game). This is not to say that Agudelo cannot improve on his average, but so far (based upon this rather limited sample of his games) his numbers are quite similar with the numbers that Altidore was putting up in MLS.

115. Magas says:

I’m not saying I don’t agree. I’m not sayinag I’m a fan of Harkes. I just want to know what the particulars of his complaints are and who he’d like to see in the booth. Just bashing someone without any reasoning behind it easy – kind of like saying to someone on a comment board “are you serious?”

116. Juan from L.A. says:

I completely agree. They might as well have Aston Villa come over an wear the NYRB jersey and trash DC United. They have there sole American playing in that club with the other in the bench. This is bad for the league because it sets a precedent to walk all over the foreign player limit rule and DO THE EASY WAY out instead of building from the bottom up. If all teams do this then there will be only 2×18=36 Americans if that IN AN AMERICAN LEAGUE…way to go Backe and for those that can’t see pass this are just either blind, greedy or anti-USMNT and MLS fans…

117. Juan from L.A. says:

We are not talking about the past. If anything we are talking about the current Backe era. Osorio, Arena and Bradley himself didn’t do this. Backe is doing a disservice to the league. Setting up a dangerous precedent that don’t get me wrong, it works but its the easy way and wrong way to make it work. Jesus Christ he is benching Agudelo, a kid with talent and not matter what needs time in the field and he is benching him for a has been English guy who wouldn’t be playing in the Championship!

118. Juan from L.A. says:

Exactly which for English national teams fan this is the worst that could had happen to them. I hope this is not the beginning of an easy way out which if other teams follow only 36 AMERICAN players (if that) will be playing in an American league. Then take that American flag off the shoulder and put the UN flag!

By the way nobody disagrees about hte contributions of NY to the USMNT IN THE PAST. I believe the point is not that but the point is the current era with Backe. Osorio, Bradley and Arena did not cop out the easy way. Believe me it works but its wrong. This is a disgrace and NOTHING to be proud of. Even Agudelo our brightest and who already show potential is being benched by this European.

119. Juan from L.A. says:

Or you can see 5-10 years from now a league where every team only lines up 2 Americans and then only 36 Americans play in an American league…WRONG!

120. mullet ibc says:

you know he is benching him because he needs to0 keep the kid level headed and prevent him from becoming anohter freddy adu or jozy altidore? he wants to keep him in the US to help out the bulls and to make sure he develops his skills fully. Messi was benched when he was 17-18 all of the time even though we knew he was gonna be a prodigy.

121. sef-one says:

Whoa. Calm down. It didn’t look like the worst decision when Rogers scored two goals his first game. Plus you are not in the locker room/ training with NYRB on a daily so you can’t speak to what was going on.

122. ... says:

You need to relax. NY has Ream, Agudelo, Kassel, Hot, Keel, Mendes, Albright, Horwath, Lassiter, Schneider, da Luz, Hertzog… plenty of Americans. Are they all playing? No. Some are injured, some are young and developing, some are backups. But I’m really not understanding the problem here. NY has a succesful academy, they are developing young talent AND signing plenty of them as homegrown. NY is up there in terms of homegrown signings. And having thier young Americans play with high-quality, experienced players–regardless of the nationalities of those players– can only be a good thing.

Furthermore, you’re employing a logical fallacy–the “slippery slope” argument–which basically invalidates your entire comment. Not to mention that NY isn’t “walking all over the foreign player limit”– their roster is within MLS rules. A lot of their “foreign” players have green cards, for one thing.

123. inkedAG says:

After seeing DC embarass NY/NJ for so many years, this win was such sweet, sweet nectar!!!

124. Matt says:

Does not compute.

125. Matt says:

The one that’s still number 1 overall in the regular season standings?