Najar to discuss national team decision Tuesday

Jlamls031911111

Photo by Jose L. Argueta/ISIphotos.com

Andy Najar will apparently end the mystery Tuesday afternoon.

D.C. United has scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday during which Najar will discuss his national team future and presumably pick which country he will represent, either his native Honduras or the United States.

Najar, 18, burst onto the scene as an unheralded rookie when he signed with D.C. United as a Homegrown Player and started the first game of the 2010 season. The speedy winger created havoc on opposing defenses and was a very bright spot in an otherwise dismal campaign for D.C. last year, earning MLS Rookie of the Year honors. His national-team choice has been a point of contention for some time.

Should Najar choose Hondruas, he could go directly into the senior squad for this summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup (or the U-20 team for the World Cup should Honduras qualify). Should he chose the United States, he would have to wait out the citizenship process before playing for the U.S. national team.

Where do you think Najar will take his talents, USA or Honduras?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

126 Responses to Najar to discuss national team decision Tuesday

1. dena says:

Expecting Honduras.

2. jhGodfrey says:

If he wants to make the roster in the next 3-4 World Cups, he should align himself with the U.S. If he wants to be a surefire starter in the next 3-4 Gold Cups, he should choose Honduras.

3. Rob says:

Would love to see him choose the US, but at this time he doesn’t have his citizenship and he will most likely pick Honduras. Either way I wish him the best of luck.

4. pat says:

south beach

5. Dylan B T says:

Interesting stuff. Timing definitely suggests Honduras to me.

6. brad says:

USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!!!!

7. Dudeinho says:

Honduras

but wouldn’t surprise me if he picks the states

8. Darius says:

Yeah, that is my guess as well.

9. GSScasual says:

I think it would do him and the league some good if he went to Honduras… raise the profile of the league, get some honduran fans, make our league have even more international team players outside the US… i think it would be better for the league… (and also save us the dumb comments from people saying how he’s not really american…”)

10. Vince says:

As a USMNT fan, I must acknowledge that a country will win some and lose some on the international front.

I don’t envy Najar his choice. At this moment, he’s simply not eligible for the U.S. — and his green card plus citizenship will be 3+ years, if not more.

I want him to be a U.S. winger, however as a true fan of the sport I can certainly understand the difficulty of his choice. He’s eligible right now for Honduras….

Not an easy call to make.

11. Ken says:

Japan withdrew from Copa America. They’re gonna need a new team from CONCACAF.

12. Rob says:

Why are we assuming he would definitely get playing time in a US kit. He has to see that he is most likely going to get playing time for Honduras, then with the current US line up. That sucks, but its true.

13. Serb says:

Hopefully he doesn’t go the mercenary route, there to much of that in todays soccer world.

You should play for pride(Honduras) not for money and exposure(USA).

14. Paul C says:

Isn’t Najar already well into the waiting period? I recall a report saying he’s about 3 years out?

15. Jason B says:

I’m thinking Honduras and it won’t upset me one bit if that’s his choice. It would be tough to pass up a chance at contributing right now for a national team over waiting for citizenship and then not having a spot guaranteed for you.

16. scott47a says:

I think Andy is a great young talent. But there are a lot of guys, a lot, who can’t get a run with the U.S. Nats in the midfield.

To me it seems a no-brainer for him to choose Honduras. And I don’t think anyone should fault him for that either. It’s a smart decision if he wants to play, IMO.

I’d love him to go the other way and fight for a spot on the U.S. squad, of course.

17. Alex says:

Interesting as this has been dragging along that he may choose the US. Long length of time to finally make the decision suggests he’s been having help to address the questions from Honduras. Just my thinking….

18. Alex says:

19. Dan in New York says:

lol, +1

20. Chosun says:

I agree, but I heard that players chosen for National Team duty can get their green cards expedited. Then again, it was probably someone just making a dumb comment and I took it as fact.

Play for Honduras in the GC and possibly the WC, or wait and MAYBE play for the US with a higher chance of the WC? That’s a hard decision, but as someone above stated, the timing makes it seem like he’s going to announce for Honduras.

21. JoeW says:

First, I think it’s going to be Honduras. His grandmother is pushing for the USA–she says that’s where his future is. But I think peer pressure will steer him to Honduras.

Second, why do people keep thinking he’s ONLY an outside mid? He broke into DCU as an outside defender. There were more than a few games last year (mostly open cup games) where DCU either to hold a lead or when they were down (and wanted as many attackers on the field as possible) moved him to outside back. I believe Goff was speculating that DCU should start looking at him as a withdrawn forward.

22. RedLine55 says:

I assure you those comments will be apparent this way, as well. Especially if Honduras and Najar do especially well. The Rossi comments will be resurrected!

23. RC says:

All signs point to Honduras, but I’m going with the US based on three main factors: 1) If he wanted to play for Honduras, I think he would have made that decision awhile ago. 2) I think the USMT is becoming a place where internationally born players are feeling more and more welcome. Especially young guys. 3) Playing on a high profile national team plays a big role in helping players gain notoriety with the top leagues in Europe. If that is indeed Najar’s goal, playing for the US gives him his best shot of getting there.

24. Babieca says:

I’m pretty sure it will be Honduras. It’s not just about World Cups and Gold cups, but about getting those first team caps you need to get a work permit abroad.

It’s a great decision for an 18yo kid to have to make.

Good luck to him either way.

25. Free says:

hope he chooses the US…need more drama in who will partner with bradley…the comment thread would write itself…

anyways, prolly choosing Honduras. if it was the US, then it would be a non-announcement announcement since he couldn’t actually be eligible for the US player pool anytime soon.

26. charles says:

uhh hes not really american lol

27. Aaron in StL says:

I would imagine if he chooses the U.S. that it would mean he knows exactly where he stands on citizenship. I have no clue where he stands there but would be interested to find out as he has been in the States since what, 12/13 years of age? Or does it only count against years he’s been employed?

28. Corey says:

Rossi suck and is a traitor… Andy is something entirely different….

29. common sense says:

if he wants to go to europe he will need to get caps to get a work permit in england. my guess is Hon. it will give him more options for his career.

30. irishapple21 says:

Najar is probably going to play for Honduras. He probably wants the international exposure that comes with playing for a national team to get bids from overseas and he’d have to wait three years to get that with the USA. It’s all economics.

31. CR says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he picked Honduras, but from how he’s handled the process so far (twitter campaigns, teasing interviews, etc.), he’s come off as someone who wants attention. If that’s the case, he’ll go with America.

32. Rob says:

Hmmm Rossi’s score sheet would argue otherwise on the whole “suck” thing.

33. RedLine55 says:

come on, you know that will not matter if he goes to europe and starts slaying defenses ha!

34. Rob says:

DC United said he has his green card. He has had it since he joined the team. Just waiting 5 years from whenever he got his green card, pass a test that most Americans fail, and he is American.

35. RC says:

Just to further play Devil’s Advocate:

1) To play everything out so publicly and then make an announcement on US soil that you want to play for Honduras, it seems kind of silly. It would be like Bunbury going to Canada to say he is playing for the US.

2) A lot of people seem to say that playing for the Honduras National Team sooner rather than later is going to help him get abroad. Really? Look at the Honduras roster. All of 5 people play in European leagues. 2 for Wigan, 1 for Monaco, 1 for Leeds and 1 for Celtic. I’m not trying to say that the US is stacks with guys playing for Chelsea or Barcelona, but the point is, the US is far and away the best choice for him if furthering his career in Europe is in his future.

By the way, in terms of US citizenship, what is the earliest he could suit up for the USMT? And are Bradley and others from the USFA allowed to talk to him about this decision despite him not being a citizen?

36. Matt C in Tampa says:

Please tell me he’s not going to sit at a table and put on a US hat or a Honduras hat…like one of those stupid high school football players chosing a college.

37. Jack says:

I think that he’s going to go with Honduras what with potential caps and all of that, although I suppose that the fact that the USMNT is almost definitely (knock on wood) going to be in the next few WCs might sway him in that direction. I’d be surprised if that happened, but the kid is good–I would certainly like to have him in the US player pool.

This issue of being eligible to play for more than one nation is always going to be an issue for the US, at least for the foreseeable future. It’s a part of the ups and downs of having a very transnational population. We’ve lost some recently (Rossi), but we’ve definitely won some players with great potential as well (Lichaj, Bunbury). Whatever he choses, I hope people respect it.

38. JustinV says:

Honduras makes the most sense professionally. I he wants to play in Europe he gets the caps faster, but also if he were to pick the US he would have to stay in the US with MLS until his citizenship is completed. If that were to happen after his first contract expired and he had to sign a second MLS contract he would find himself in the Donovan conundrum. Granted some club would probably pay for him, but it would definitely limit his choices.

39. Primoone says:

I don’t think he is going to wait 3 yrs just to put on a USA kit and fight for a place on a team where his nifty passes, creativity and technical ability don’t impress a coach like Bradley.

I have a gut feeling that the Najar on the back of the Honduras #9 is still warm from the press.

40. NOLAmike says:

After you get your green card its 5 years until you get your citizenship. The waiting period from going from a visa to green card varies, but with several of my friends it has been 5-10 years with the whole process usually being 11-12 years to become a citizen (depends on where you are from and what visa you came to the US with)

41. Reece says:

He’s gonna pick Honduras, and I blame US immigration laws. It shouldn’t take 5 years for him to play for us.

42. Carlo says:

Just to let ya know Honduras made the last world cup, and are in a really good position to make the next one! I bet you know nothing about the Honduran national team or its prospects.

43. Jason B says:

No, he’s doing a one hour TV special where Jim Gray asks him 55 minutes in to it who he will play for. Oh yeah, the advertising revenue is going to the DC Boys and Girls Club.

44. Carlo says:

Honduras all the way! It would take 3 to 4 years to get the citizenship. He has great talent, and as a Honduran/American, I’m ripped between the two! But I really hope he chooses Honduras! They don’t have the depth the US has in their player pool. Honduras need him! Vienite a Honduras Andy! Vas a ser como Rambo si seguis como vas!

45. John V says:

Well, he’s not a US citizen, so the only country he CAN choose is Honduras.

46. Rob says:

As I agree with you, but to be fair there are two teams that will most likely make the cup every time: US and Mexico. Other then those two you have Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, and (I would put in) Canada who will typically take the last 1.5 spots. The rest have an outside shot, but very unlikely.

47. Come on Estado Unidos, Etats-Unis, United States Mother scrunchers!!!!

Naw but for real I hope he picks the US but have a feeling he might Go with HON. I hope he decides to wait and play for the US.

48. Josh D says:

Would be my guess too… No reason for him to choose US from a cultural stand point. Perhaps guaranteed World Cup participation but who knows if he’d ever make the team… At least with Honduras they would play him from the start almost…

Not sure he would fit in Bradley’s playing style either… A tricky, small winger who prefers the ball at his feet rather than chasing long balls all game doesn’t fit our current style.

49. Josh D says:

Jamaica has a great team at the moment and Trinidad & Tobago are always worth a gamble…

50. Josh D says:

I think that’s the big problem – waiting. Who knows what’ll happen in a year, two years… Plus, if he was to choose the US now, why bother? He wouldn’t play for years.

The only reason to announce now is to put himself in contention for the Gold Cup as a Hondurian player.

51. Jamie says:

Mother Scrunchers? Thank you for that, I will definitely be using that in places where my tongue has to be bitten. Thank you sir.

52. shao2007 says:

Najar should pick Honduras to keep some competitive balance going in CONCACAF.

If Honduras can have another strong qualification run, and Canada picks up the slack world cup qualifying might be a little more interesting.

53. TheSir says:

I think you’re forgetting Wilson Palacios (Tottenham).

54. bizzy says:

No Torres, no Gomez, no Acuna (he said bump it and went to Mexico..hahaha), No Benny, No Adu, No Bedoya, No castillo should tell Najar that his style of play is not warranted on Coach Bradley’s team. If he picks the US he’ll be like torres and Feilhaber…tried only a few times with the A-team and being dropped for “run, pass, shoot, defensive” players. Honduras will be a better fit for him.

55. Turgid Jacobian says:

Whichever flag he wears, I wish him the best of luck. Except if he plays against the USA. Then I wish him a brace and the US a double hat-trick. (Kid’s got every indication so far of being a good egg, and I hope he nets for DCU a bunch).

56. David says:

There was an article in the Washingtonian that gives this decision a little more context, and to be honest, helps fans realize how incredible a story Najar is . . . I am obviously hoping US, but very excited for him either way

link to washingtonian.com

57. BellusLudas says:

Heart says USA…Head says Honduras :-(

58. Tony in Quakeland says:

Yup. No reason to do it now unless he’s picking Honduras

59. Tony in Quakeland says:

Winning the Gold Cup is more important. Win that and we are in the 2013 Confederations CUp in Brazil. We won’t get invited to COpa America because we won’t send the A team

60. Matt S says:

So if he chooses Honduras does that mean his “rookie of the year” award from last year will be taken back and given to the true winner… Tim Ream?

I thought the kid was good but I felt that Ream deserved it much more. The choice of Najar just felt like an attempt to motivate him to choose the US by saying “See we love you here, why don’t you come and play for our team?”

61. Louis Z says:

he already has a green card. he needs citizenship.

62. louis Z says:

if he is 3 years out that means he just started the process. I think you start the process after 2 years of having your green card, which he had it for a long time.

63. Louis Z says:

He is young but the longer he waits…the more players he has to contend with IF he choses US.

Although a good player with a proven record in a physical league like MLS, I don’t think he is the type of player that BB is waiting with open arms. I wish him the best either way he goes.

64. papa bear says:

the timing of this screams “I’m going to play for Honduras” so the only shock will be if he does pick the US.
    On Honduras he is probably a starter for the next 15 years whether he progresses another bit or not. He MAYBE makes 1 WC. (to the Honduran fan above who was indignant that Honduras made the last WC so will make the next one, spare me your castigation. Central American teams have a long history of not stringing together WC appearances)
    On the USMNT he probably makes the bench at the very least for all matches for 12 of the next 15 years and will almost guaranteed make it to at least 3 WC’s in his career IF he keeps up his progress.

So it is pretty much up to him if he wants a guaranteed spot with Honduras or if he wants to wait two years and fight like hell for a spot on a far superior USMNT. Either choice has its pluses and minuses.

65. Nate says:

And Suazo (Inter), Bernadez(Anderlecht), and Alvarez(Bari. Not bad.

66. ec says:

It seems pretty crazy that he would announce he’s picking the US with a several year wait guaranteed, unless it’s just to silence talk. But makes me think Honduras.

I also think that team Honduras have a decent future, Palacios is gong through a tough spell but is one of the most gifted midfielders in our region (and still only 26), and I think a lot of US fans would be happy to have Maynor Figueroa to throw into the mix at LB. They have pieces.

67. Fart :/ says:

Well if I was him I’d just wait, reason why is he plays for the U.S., he’s got a better WC shot. Besides, if he stays in the MLS he can develop for a few more years then move to Europe in his early 20’s once he gets his citizenship.

68. MSNats says:

69. former immigration law guy says:

after you receive your green card you establish consistent residency (can’t leave country for more than 6 months at a time) and wait 5 years. Take the test, citizenship.

70. MarthaC says:

He will choose to never sniff a world cup and third place gold cup finishes will be his morale victories.

He will be cal tied to a crap natl team inaddition to his current crap club

By picking Honduras it shows that he doesn’t have that “American thing” winners mentality
    And his content playing…

No American fight or heart we don’t need him then.

71. Micah King says:

OMG, get over Rossi he did not even grow up in the US professional soccer system. I can see if he grew up in it like Subotic did, but he did not. So end of story.

72. Indigo Montoya says:

Come dancin’, come on Najar, have yourself a ball, don’t be afraid to come dancin’, it’s only natural…

73. Indigo Montoya says:

How do you know this? Pure BS. No fight or heart, yet he straps it on for DC United and Ben Olsen? Please don’t crap on my plate and call it a meal.

74. Micah King says:

He will pick Honduras I think. Then again if he picks USA I will not be surprised. Why are they giving him a special I know he is good, but he is just a MLS player. I can see if he was playing for Arsenal and Chelsea and getting starts then give him a special,but why do we have to wait until a special. I would not be surprised if he picked USA because if he wanted to pick Honduras he would already be capped only youth or youth and senior both by now.

75. Brett says:

I won’t be upset if he chooses Honduras. But I would like to have him in our talent pool.

76. sunny d says:

Why have a press conference with an american club if you’re not picking the usa?

BUT

Why have a press conference if you cant play for the usa now?

77. RB says:

Maybe immigration law has changed? Because that’s not at all what my wife (who is from Mexico) received: 10 years, no restrictions on coming/going or staying out of the country, apply for citizenship after a wait of 2 years + 9 months…

78. RB says:

Well that sort of timeline clearly isn’t set in stone, as it’s been much shorter for my wife (who is Mexican), as I was noting above. Residency was immediate and she’ll be applying for citizenship in less than 3 years. There’s a lot of variation depending on a lot of factors, and I would take folks’ comments along these lines with a few grains of salt.

79. Dave says:

If he keeps playing like he has for DC this year he’d be B-C team for the US at best. I think he had a decent first game in MLS this year, but has looked rough the past two games.

In my opinion, DCU has two other players, US citizens today, that would fare better than Najar in the pecking order by the time that Najar would even be eligible to play for the U.S. Dax McCarty and Charlie Davies.

80. SD says:

Thanks for recommending a great article! (no sarcasm)

81. Jay says:

Wow you are dumb. Perhaps he just wants to represent the country he was born in and spent a good portion of his childhood in.

82. Mike says:

From my understanding we can’t promise the “A” team because teams are only obligated to release players for our confederation championship. I think we would be asking a bit much from some clubs to lose their players fro the duration of the Gold Cup and Copa America.

83. jake says:

Putting someone nominally as an outside defender in an Open Cup game only to have them attack does NOT make them a defender. He might be fine in the middle of the field as a withdrawn forward though. I agree with Goff on that.

84. northzax says:

well, you’re married, right? and you are a citizen? completely different path. the waiting time for a non-citizen married to a US citizen is three years, as you say. for a green card holder not married to a citizen, it is five. there’s your difference

85. Idaho Brian says:

Congrats to Honduras…given the timing of the press conference, (i.e. eligible for Honduras now for Gold Cup 2011 vs. maybe making the US team in 3-5 years), the announcement must be that he will be playing for Honduras. I wish him the best.

86. vik says:

Yea, young kid’s going to want to (and should) play now. U.S. citizenship seems like a murkier proposition.

87. chris says:

Qatar?

88. abc says:

Recent articles have suggested that both Najar and his immediate family (parents) would prefer him to play for the US. They feel like Americans and appreciated the opportunity this country has provided them. Unfortunately they are not US citizens, so what can they do? Soccer people are trying to get Senator Durbin to push something through granting him US citizenship, but other politicians are not going to get behind that. So because of our immigration and naturalization policies, we lose an extremely talented player who lives here, plays professionally here, and wants to play for our national team. That sucks, for us and for him.

89. RB says:

But it’s not as simple as that. Other factors may be brought into play, including other (non-spouse) family members. Doesn’t he have some? Financial status (his and/or his sponsor’s) would be looked at, as well.

But anyway, it doesn’t seem like it will matter, as he’s probably declaring for Honduras…

90. MensreaJim says:

It would be beyond amazing if he announced “I am going to play for the US…in 3+ years.”

Good luck to him–I would have loved to have him, but this is the logical choice and you can’t hold it against him.

91. jpc says:

to be fair, he didn’t grow up in the Italian system either. He moved there at 13, and only spent 3 years there. But you’re right, we do need to get over him, he’s only 1 player.

92. duhboy7 says:

if he picks US, i will throw up with excitement…if he picks honduras, screw him. we dont want him anyway

93. Andrew says:

It’s different if you’re married to a citizen.

94. Andrew says:

I don’t think that was the reason for Najar winning ROTY. I’m thinking it was more because they didn’t want to give a third consecutive ROTY award to a center back. (Franklin won it playing CB.)

95. Louis Z says:

why wife’s process was about a year to get her green card, and after 2 years of residency she can begin to apply for her citizenship which takes about 3 more years to complete which adds up to 5 years total.

96. Louis Z says:

if his case a lot has to do with who is the NATS coach going to be? am I going to get a fair chance? where is best chance to make it?

so, I would say he is going Honduras on has, unless he is going to tell us that he got his citizenship certificate in his hand.

97. RB says:

My point was just that it’s different for different people for a variety of reasons. There’s no one-size-fits-all sort of rule or answer (as suggested by some responses here).

98. fischy says:

Except it’s the reverse of Rossi Here’s a kid who’s clearly Honduran, except that he’s come of age as a soccer player in the USA. Rossi was the reverse — a kid who’s clearly American in every sense of the word, except that he came of age as a soccer player abroad…

Anyone who criticized or resented Rossi’s decision would be 100% hypocritical to criticize or resent Najar’s presumed choice of HOnduras.

99. fischy says:

WHich is why he’s not going to pick the USA> It’s a couple of years at least until he’s even eligible to play for the USA and it’s a crapshoot as to whether he’s going to figure in a lot of USMNT camps, much less actually feature for the team.

Perhaps if he was so undeniably awesome that playing for the USMNT was a given in his future, he might come out differently, but he has to go with Honduras now — to give Euro scouts a chance to see hi at the Gold Cup.

100. Grant says:

Let’s get that boy an American wife!!!!!!!!!!

101. Micah King says:

Please read my post again. I did not say he didn’t grew up in USA -___-. I said he did not grow up through the US soccer system. Basically, I am saying he did not start and grow up through the MLS soccer system and ranks. He grew up in the European soccer system and ranks.

102. John says:

Gonna take his talents to South Beach

103. emmanuel says:

they might cut corners for him though…

DC united is talking to the congressman in hurrying up the process for his ‘papeles’

104. Brian says:

1) What difference does it make? Najar lives in the US and has lived here since age 13, and he plays his club soccer here. Of course he’s going to announce his decision here. He’s in the middle of his club season.

Also you may want to rework your logic there. Najar announcing his decision to play for Honduras on US soil, is NOT the same if Bunbury had announced his decision to play for the US on Canadian soil. If Najar announced his decision to play for the US on Honduras soil, that would be like if Bunbury announced his decision to play for the US on Canadian soul.

2) I don’t necessarily agree. Yes, playing for the US is probably seen as more prestigious and more difficult than playing for Honduras because:
    A) We have better players.
    B) We have more players playing in England and the rest of Europe.
    C) We play games against higher quality opponents in friendlies.
    D) We’ve been to more World Cups.
    E) We’ve performed better in World Cups.
    F) We’ve gone to Confederations Cups.
    G) We’ve won more Gold Cups (Honduras has 1 CONCACAF Champions title in 1981).

But it sounds like Najar still needs to wait 2-3 years to get his US citizenship, if he waits to play for the US, he definitely misses out on the 2011 Gold Cup, the 2011 U20 World Cup, World Cup Qualifying in 2012, and would probably miss out on the early part of 2013 World Cup qualifying as well as the 2013 Gold Cup.

If he chooses Honduras now he would definitely make the 2011 Honduras Gold Cup roster and get significant playing time (maybe even be a starter) and/or play for Honduras in the 2011 U20 World Cup (that is, if Honduras makes it, all they have to do is beat Panama in the Quarterfinals), as well as World Cup Qualifying in 2012 & 2013, and the 2013 Gold Cup.

So if he waits to play for the US, he might get his citizenship in time to play for the later part of the 2013 World Cup Qualifiers (the part of the Hex that takes place after the 2013 Gold Cup) but maybe not. If his wait time is closer to 3 years, than 2 years, then he’s miss out on on all of the 2014 World Cup Qualifying matches, and his only chance of making the 2014 World Cup with the US team would be based on his MLS play (that is if a team doesn’t buy him from MLS before then, not as likely if he doesn’t play internationally at all before then) and the few friendlies before the World Cup in 2014.

Of course Honduras’s chances of making the 2014 World Cup are not as great at the U.S’s chances, but he’d at least be involved in qualifying with Honduras. This kid might not end up being USMNT quality or he might be borderline USMNT quality and he won’t have a whole lot of time to impress Bob to make the 23 man roster for the 2014 World Cup.

Also, he signed a multi-year contract with DC United and MLS in Dec 2010. I’m assuming this a standard 4 year MLS contract, so he has 3 more seasons after this one. Which means, assuming I am correct about my previous assumption, that he could leave on a free transfer after the 2014 MLS season. If he doesn’t make the 2014 World Cup with the US, then he might not get as many European club offers, compared to the amount of Euro club offers he would get (2014 World Cup with Honduras, or not) if he had gone through 2 Gold Cups and World Cup Qualifying with Honduras.

105. Brian says:

Feilhaber has definitely been tried more than a few times. He has 38 caps. He played in the 2007 Gold Cup and the 2009 Confederations Cup, and he was THE super sub for the US in the 2014 World Cup. He played against Slovenia and Algeria, as well as the entire 2nd half against Ghana.

I’m not gonna get into the other other guys (Torres, Gomez, Adu, Castillo) because they all need to either get more playing time with their clubs and/or need to play better for their clubs.

106. Brian says:

He signed a new multi-year (probably 4 year) contract in Dec. 2010 which replaced his homegrown contract.

107. KevDC says:

“Plus, his chances of getting a UK work permit would be higher with Honduras because he have more matches with them, than he would if he waited for the U.S.”

Ah, very good point. I hadn’t thought of that. Get a bunch of caps in the next couple years and he’s over the UK work permit hurdle (if he aspires to play in the EPL). He couldn’t get that with the U.S. because he’s likely at least a couple years away from citizenship.

108. WildOne says:

Why would DC United hold a press conference to announce he’s playing for Honduras?

He’s going to be a Yank.

109. wildchild says:

wow, did no one use the word ‘diminutive’?

110. Brian says:

Yeah for a non-EU player to qualify for a UK work permit he must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive ‘A’ team matches for which he was available for selection during the previous two years, and his country must have averaged at least 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings over the previous two years.

Honduras is currently ranked 38th, so he’s good in that department.

So yeah again if he waits for the US, and doesn’t get his US citizenship until after the 2013 Gold Cup and 2014 World Cup Qualifying (that takes place in 2013), then the only official games with the US he’d be able to get before his contract is up after the 2014 MLS season, is the 2014 World Cup. And that’s a total toss up right now. That also pretty much eliminates (if he lights up MLS, he might be able to be considered a “special talent”) an EPL team from buying him from MLS before his MLS contract is up.

111. Reece says:

This country is what made him what he is today. We are a country of immigrants, he should embrace that.

112. Brian says:

It’s not a slam dunk like you think it. First of all he’s in the middle of a club season with DC United, so where else is he going to announce it? And I think a club team should support its players no matter what.

Unless Najar’s citizenship process has been expedited (highly doubt it), then why would he be announce he’s playing for a country that he’s not yet a citizen of?

113. abc says:

HE CAN’T EMBRACE THAT BECAUSE HE CAN’T PLAY FOR US FOR LIKE 4-5 YEARS. HE IS NOT A US CITIZEN.

114. Paul says:

Look at it from his point of view. The US has given him the chance, he took it. Throw on the stripe and kick some @ss.

115. Rob says:

Ok I’m assuming that reply was for Corey….

116. Hush says:

Andy deja de joder y escoje los UNITED!lol

Let’s see here, Andy could play for a top 20 team in the world, or take a step back and play for an Honduras team that could possibly make a good run in the future. I strongly believe that if he chooses Honduras he is taking two steps back in his career. Let’s face it, the kid is going to get married with a N.American girl, have American babies, and retire somewhere in Florida. Also, if he is looking to further his career in Europe the States would be the place to be. BB won’t be the USMNT coach for ever.

Andy juga con los “UNITED” y deja de fregar vos!:)

117. Oscar says:

I like where your head is

118. Felix says:

If he picks Honduras, he’s probably an ingrained starter or on the bench (as a impact sub) right off the bat. But I don’t know if Honduras can qualify for another World Cup, some of their better players are getting older, guys like Suazo, Costly, Guevara, etc.

If he picks the US, he’s behind Dempsey and Chandler for the right midfield spot. But he’s playing in World Cups (presumably if he makes the squad). And he has to wait for his citizenship.

I’d love to have him on the US, but the decision if he wants to play immediately (as in the Gold Cup, or U-20s) is for Honduras.

If he’s announcing now, my guess is he’s picking Honduras.

119. Mr Turd Meuller says:

Not a fan of having this press conference in Washington if he’s going to announce his intentions to play for another country. Have the Honduras federation fly to their capital and have the press counference there. Definitely not a fan of this…

120. Anyone got a sister they can convince to marry the kid? That will expedite the citizenship process fo sho.

121. MesaATLien says:

What makes you think that he’s picking the U.S. for more money and exposure. Obviously that’s a bonus, but I would believe he would pick the U.S. for sentimental reasons (gratefulness for the opportunities he’s been given; his own grandmother even wants him to play for the States).

122. Rob says:

And he chooses Honduras, per Grant Wahl

123. Travis says:

He’s picked Honduras, not really a surprise to anyone who has followed the situation. Good luck to him

124. Micah King says:

It was for anyone who is still crying over Rossi not playing for the USA.

125. r.benjamin says:

I had hoped that after a year on the same roster as Kitchen and Davies.. that he’d be swayed to head to a USMNT camp this January. Guess not.