photo by Michael Janosz/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
The U.S. U-20 men's national team is one win away from reaching this summer's World Cup, and one player who could be on the team that isn't right now is Joshua Gatt. The 19-year-old attacker made that more likely with a start for Molde FK this weekend.
Having made his Molde debut by coming off the bench in the club's season opener two weeks ago, Gatt earned his first start of the season on Sunday. Gatt played 78 minutes in the team's 2-2 draw with Tromso, helping earn Molde its first point of the season.
Frank Simek and Carlisle United didn't win their first point of the campaign, but they did claim the Johnstone's Paint Trophy with a 1-0 triumph over Brentford. Simek started and played 90 minutes in the match.
It wasn't all good news this weekend. U.S. men's national team defenders Oguchi Onyewu and Jonathan Bornstein each failed to see the field for their respective clubs. Onyewu did not play in a 2-0 FC Twente victory over PSV Eindhoven that raised the Twente to first place, while Bornstein sat on the bench for Tigres UANL's 2-0 win versus Atlante.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton's 2-2 draw vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 3-0 win vs. Blackpool on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa's 2-2 draw vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley did not dress for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann dressed but did not play in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 4-1 loss vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in West Ham United's 4-2 loss vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 2-1 loss vs. Birmingham on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 89 minutes in Blackburn Rovers' 0-0 draw vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 4-1 loss vs. Cardiff City on Saturday. He is with the U.S. U-20 national team.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Norwich City's 6-0 win vs. Scunthorpe United on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Leeds United's 4-1 win vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 4-1 loss vs. Leeds United on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Eddie Johnson started and played 59 minutes in Preston North End's 2-1 win vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and made 5 saves in Hull City's 1-0 loss vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 1-0 win vs. Brentford in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final on Sunday.
- Anton Peterlin and Plymouth Argyle did not play this weekend.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 11 minutes in Swindon Town's 1-1 draw vs. Hartlepool United on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 minutes in Rangers' 3-2 loss vs. Dundee United on Saturday.
- Dominic Cervi and Celtic's match vs. Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Saturday was postponed.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 4-1 loss vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Ricardo Clark started and played 90 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt's 1-1 draw vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Sunday.
- Daniel Williams did not dress in SC Freiburg's 1-1 draw vs. Mainz on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Timmy Chandler did not dress in Nurnberg's 1-0 loss vs. FC Cologne on Sunday. He was serving a one-game suspension for last game's ejection.
- David Yelldell started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card for a penalty kick foul and made one save in MSV Duisburg's 2-1 loss vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Saturday.
- Luis Robles came off the bench and played 34 minutes in Karlsruhe's 2-2 draw vs. VfL Osnabruck on Friday.
- Edson Buddle started and played 66 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04's 2-1 win vs. Energie Cottbus on Friday.
- Amaechi Igwe did not dress for FC Ingolstadt 04. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 2-1 loss vs. Alemania Aachen on Sunday. He is with the U.S. U-20 national team.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress in Hertha Berlin's 2-0 loss vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in St Etienne's 1-1 draw vs. Valenciennes on Sunday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 1-0 win vs. Nimes on Friday.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Twente Enschede's 2-0 win vs. PSV Eindhoven on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench and played 4 minutes in Bursaspor's 0-0 draw vs. Fenerbahce on Sunday.
BANK ASYA 1. LIG
- Freddy Adu came off the bench and played 32 minutes in Caykur Rizespor's 3-0 loss vs. Mersin Idmanyurdu on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht's 3-1 loss vs. Standard Liege on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 45 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 0-0 draw vs. Horsens on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 1-0 loss vs. Odense BK on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe came off the bench and played 14 minutes for Aalborg BK.
- Clarence Goodson did not dress in Brondby IF's 2-2 draw vs. Silkeborg on Sunday. He is recovering from a toe injury.
- Benny Feilhaber did not dress in AGF Aarhus' 3-0 win vs. Kolding on Sunday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro SK play IFK Goteborg on Monday.
- Ryan Miller dressed but did not play in Halmstads BK's 0-0 draw vs. Kalmar on Saturday.
- Gale Agbossoumonde and Djurgardens IF play AIK on Monday.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF's 2-1 win vs. Rosenborg on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt started and played 78 minutes in Molde FK's 2-2 draw vs. Tromso on Sunday.
- Jose Torres started, played 67 minutes and received a yellow card in Pachuca's 3-1 win vs. Morelia on Sunday.
- Herculez Gomez dressed but did not play for Pachuca.
- Edgar Castillo dressed but did not play in Puebla's 5-4 loss vs. America on Sunday.
- Sammy Ochoa did not dress in Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G.'s 1-1 draw vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress in Atlante's 2-0 loss vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 2-0 win vs. Atlante on Saturday.
- Gustavo Adrian Ruelas did not dress in Santos Laguna's 3-0 win vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
Surprised Gatt earned his first start for Molde in just the second game of the season? What do you think of Simek and Carlisle United winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy? Expecting Onyewu and Bornstein to get back into their club's starting lineups next week?
Share your thoughts below.