Projecting the USA Gold Cup roster: March Edition

USAvsArgentina2011

The CONCACAF Gold Cup is now less than ten weeks away, and with the U.S. men’s national team having its final two friendlies before June, players hoping for spots on the roster have done what they can do on the national team level to impress head coach Bob Bradley and earn a place on the U.S. roster.

Players can still impress or fall behind based on club form, but it’s a safe bet that Bradley has a good idea which players he’s  going to choose from when he selects his 23-man roster in May.

Forward Juan Agudelo and defenders Timmy Chandler and Tim Ream were the big winners in the national team’s most recent camp and set of friendlies, with each of them looking like good bets to make the Gold Cup roster when it wasn’t too long ago that all three were either considered long shots or weren’t even on the radar.

Our Projected Gold Cup roster for the month of March isn't much different from our February Roster Projection, with Timmy Chandler and Jay DeMerit joining the squad, while Stuart Holden and Clarence Goodson were not on this month's projection.

Here is a closer look at the players who look like the best bets to make this summer’s U.S. Gold Cup roster:

PROJECTED 2011 Gold Cup Roster

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan

DEFENDERS- Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Timmy Chandler, Jonathan Spector, Eric Lichaj, Tim Ream, Jay DeMerit

MIDFIELDERS- Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan, Benny Feilhaber, Alejandro Bedoya

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Juan Agudelo, Edson Buddle, Teal Bunbury

——-

Here are some thoughts on the picks:

GOALKEEPER- As we reported in our last projection, Brad Guzan is getting married this summer, but the word we're getting is that it's not a sure bet that he misses the entire tournament. We can see David Yelldell getting the call if Guzan winds up missing the tournament.

DEFENDERS- The surprising omission from this group is Clarence Goodson, who gets edged out by the emergence of Tim Ream and the return of Jay DeMerit. Goodson could play himself onto the team (he's out with a broken toe), but it could be tough going. As for fullback, we don't have a left back on the squad to back up Carlos Bocanegra, so you could still see someone like Heath Pearce or Zach Loyd edging out a Lichaj, but after another shaky match I can't put Jonathan Bornstein on this list.

MIDFIELDERS- No real surprises here. Alejandro Bedoya gets the call over Mikkel Diskerud, who failed to get a minute despite being called up for the March friendlies. Bedoya helps fill the need for players who can play on the wing, but Bedoya could also provide an attacking option in the middle. The rest of the group seems pretty clear-cut, though you wonder if Ricardo Clark can play his way onto the radar with a good two months with Eintracht Frankfurt.

FORWARDS- The same quartet as last month. Jozy Altidore is slumping but is still a safe bet to make the team. Juan Agudelo solidified his place on the squad. Edson Buddle is a big option while Bunbury remains a good option. Buddle and Bunbury beat out Wondolowski and Eddie Johnson.

————-

What do you think of the squad? Which players do you think should be on the squad? Which players do you are you surprised to see included in our projection?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

143 Responses to Projecting the USA Gold Cup roster: March Edition

1. Jason says:

I take Diskerud and leave Buddle off. Dempsey or Landon can play at fwd and probably should over Buddle. They need to win the tourney but need to build more depth at the same time. Giving Mixx the nod over a 29 year old fwd is an easy one

2. Colin says:

Ives, let’s say CD9 puts in a solid 2 months and is in great form. You think he’s got a chance to make the Gold Cup squad or are we looking at his USMNT return coming with 2014 qualifying?

3. ga-gone says:

Bornstein single-handedly killed a few USA attacks in spectacular ways, but i thought he was actually good defensively.

While it was pretty hard to defend him after that game, i still won’t be surprised if he’s in the squad this summer.

4. prizby says:

interesting…i did this the other day…i had 20 of those 23

5. prizby says:

i really hope bunbury doesn’t get the call…means he misses his return to Canada with SKC

6. Felix says:

I would prefer a young CB over DeMerit or Onyewu. I think it has been shown that the national team has/needs to move on from these types of CBs. Whether its Gonzalez, John, Agbossoumonde or someone else. We need to diversify this aging CB pool (outside of Ream who despite his promise is still good for getting beat bad once or twice a game).

I don’t have any real problems with the midfield. I can see supporters getting all bent out of shape about Kljestan instead of guys like Torres, Diskerud or someone else. But we’re talking bench guys at best. I wouldn’t mind seeing a natural winger in place of a back-up attacking mid.

At forward, if Altidore continues to struggle, and someone like Davies or even Wondolowski continues to excel in MLS, I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets dropped.

7. Lost in Space says:

I’m wondering if Spector may be the odd man out is an additional LB is needed. I could see Loyd/Pearce bumping him from the squad before Lichaj.

Odd man out for the Strikers could very well be Buddle. Agdelo, Bunbury, and Altidor all provide size/strenght. If Davies is tearing it up in MLS (getting goals from the run of play) I would guess he’d be a better option as a change of pace/supper sub type.

Otherwise the roster looks good.

8. CaliNIck23 says:

I like Mikkel Diskerud and his creativity. I would drop Sacha Kljestan.
    I would also consider a true left-back who get 90min every game. His name is Miguel Ángel Ponce plays for Chivas of Mexico, he was born in California.

9. baquito alyeska says:

But perhaps he scores against actual Canada on June 7th.

10. Steve says:

The questions is not whether Jozy makes this team but where he ranks in the US FWD pool.

At the risk of being crushed here I’m thinking he’s behind both Buddle and Agudelo at this point.

Let the objections commence but his form is just BAD right now.

11. Lost in Space says:

Would love that…but not really a high probability. Chivas will drop him if he’s called up for the USA.

More likely event is we’ll be playing against him come the final. :-(

12. Krasov says:

Jason is right. Befuddle Buddle is not the answer. The key to our success this summer is going to be overal team speed. Landon showed that he is starting to slow down a bit against Paraguay. He had several runs that he could not generate any space. Two years ago, he not only generated plenty of space, he was able to uncork a good shot. He needs to be moved forward and younger, speedier mids need to be brought into the group. With that thought, Spector should be dropped too. Not sure who we go with, but his lack of pace is too glaring. He would be destroyed by Mexico and maybe even Guagaloupe. Go young, go fast.

13. KKS says:

I think that putting Ricardo Clark in a USMNT shirt is grounds for immediate dismissal for any coach, especially Bob.

14. Joe says:

Take off Guzan replace with Keller.

Take off Buddle replace with Wynalda.

15. Don Pelayo says:

I agree. I would not be surprised at all if Bradley chooses Bornstein…or Clark for that matter.

16. jon says:

i love MLS and all, but I would much rather see the USMNT win the Gold Cup

17. Colin says:

Isn’t SKC playing Vancouver this weekend?

18. golfstrom says:

agree. i distinctly remember at least 2 vital interventions he made in the box. and many times he showed his wheels getting back from advanced positions. now i’m not a fan of JB by any means, but it’s fascinating to me how little people seem to pay attention to how defenders actually defend.

19. offcolorcommentary says:

I don’t understand the love for Bedoya…. what has he ever done to warrant it? He’s just another Robbie Rogers…

20. swoopy says:

Mixx over Sasha, too. He’s five years younger and it’s not like he didn’t play well against South Africa.

21. Sean says:

What has happened to Torres? Is he hurt? He certainly wasn’t superb in SA but I think he deserves a shot over someone like Sasha if hes healthy.

22. TexAddick says:

Even if Bornstein’s backside is stapled to the bench at Tigres, he’ll be in the team.

23. alexalex says:

…that’s what I’m saying.

I am told that he once played really well for the US – maybe I missed the match? Every game I have seen of his, he is anonymous for a half, and by the 60′ he looks completely gassed. What give with the Bedoya love?

24. Brent McD says:

funny how Timmy is always standing on tip-toes for these photos. guess i would be too, next to a monster like Gooch.

25. MJ says:

I personally can’t stand the guy and think he is a liability on defense. There are more than enough occasions where you see him out of position and not even attempting to put himself between the opposing player and the incoming cross. Although I have been less hesitant to say he is horrible thanks to his header against Costa Rica a few years back, his offensive contribution hasn’t been anything to write home about either. For the love of God, I hope Bradley stops calling him in to camps.

26. anon says:

Torres over Kljestan.
    Convey over Bedoya.
    Pearce over Lichaj.
    Cooper over Buddle.

And I still think Goodson edges out DeMerit, but I could be wrong there. Goodson has been way solid for over the past year, and has had much more playing time.

27. shweazy says:

I wonder also, what happened to him, He’s looked better than Benny,Sacha and Bedoya when he plays for us.

28. Brent McD says:

i think Landon has still got it, but is blowing it by remaining in MLS. after the brief stint with Everton, he was playing with so much speed and confidence. get back to Europe Landon, kick some butt, be all that you can be

29. Judging Amy says:

Your list befuddles me.

30. N-Whit says:

“…but after another shaky match I can’t put Jonathan Bornstein on this list.”

Unfortunately, Bob Bradely can.

31. Jason B says:

Another observation I noted with the picture…Why does Bradley have his right hand on Spector’s knee?

32. Reid says:

Sean, if you live in the US pretty much every Primera Division game is on every weekend. Take a look at Pachuca and then say if he deserves a shot. Don’t take this as me being a jerk, its just that Torres seems to be very hot/cold lately. Still a really good player, but our midfield pool has grown the past 2 years.

33. jig says:

cool post, based on stuff that happened almost a year ago? Try and keep up.

34. Dave from Charlotte says:

I think your roster is 90-95% right, but it doesn’t mean I agree with Bob Bradley on some issues:

1) i hope he significantly expands the LB’s he brings into the pre-GC camp to see if there’s a truly viable back up to Bocanegra. Bornstein isn’t it and that experiment needs to end.

2) Much like Gaddafi will soon be a man without a country, Spector is a good player without a sweet spot role. He’s the baseball equivalent to a utility player, but is that quite as needed in soccer as in baseball?

3) I’m a little harsher on Gooch than you are SBI. I think his performances are a trend downwards permanently, not a short term rut. He’s a good guy and I hope I’m wrong, but….if Gonzalez or Goodson hits a run of form it should really pressure Bradley to consider them for Gooch and Spector’s roster spot.

4)Would like to see Jared Jeffrey, Heath Pearce, Peterlin, Starikov, and Torres in the pre-GC camp.

35. Dave from Charlotte says:

Convey too…

36. Goalscorer24 says:

I have to agree I won’t be surprised (but would be disappointed) to see Bornstein on the roster as Bradley loves calling up certain players even though their play does not merit it.

37. GW says:

Landon did look out of it and slow but is that because he’s really rusty after his much earned break or is it because he’s finally losing it?

He hasn’t exactly been tearing it up for the Galaxy either.

I like Mix but is he really speedy? I don’t think so. Spector is being given a shot in midfield because of his comparative success at it with West Ham.

38. zettsyuk says:

I actually think if Boca is playing LB, which he should, then Goodson and Ream could be a formidable duo at CB.

39. Louis Z says:

I just don’t see how you can have Gooch in your list when he is struggling so bad. Talk about being selected on reputation alone. As it stand right now, Gooch is only a good “blocker” of a defender because he can’t pass and when he dribles he looks so ackward. At least you got JB right…off the list.

2 months to go and lets see how Goodson does. not sure why you counted him out. is his injury long term?

(SBI-He’s struggling so bad because he struggled in ONE game where he played hurt? He’s been playing regularly for FC Twente and doing well. If he’s healthy and playing regularly he’ll be on the team.)

40. DanO says:

No way Bob-O-Matic goes without cover for Boca at LB. I’m no more excited about JB than anyone else, but if he doesn’t go then another unproven LB does.

41. DanO says:

What have Bedoya or Diskerud really accomplished at the club level? They are good players on teams that are marginally above MLS caliber.

42. Dave from Charlotte says:

SBI – to be fair, Gooch struggled in the WC too. Now maybe he wasn’t all the way back from his injury in terms of game shape. But, he hasn’t looked anywhere near his 2009 Confed Cup self (i think you’ve acknowledged this in an article or two). To say he shouldn’t be on the roster, is probably an over statement, but to say he’s a #1 CB pick at this point, I think is too generous as well. As you say, “if he’s healthy and playing regularly, he’ll be on the team.”

BB needs to put him under a microscope in the pre-GC camp.

(SBI-A healthy and fit Onyewu starts. Whether that’s next to Ream or DeMerit remains to be seen, as well as whether he’ll actually be healthy.)

43. Dave from Charlotte says:

Sigh…chicken little has arrived.

We can’t score, and our back line has some serious question marks. Chicharito is going to eat our lunch at this rate. THE SKY IS FALLING!

44. Tom says:

What team does Mexico bring? A or B? They are also playing in Copa America.

45. Evan says:

I have watched Paco play in every game for the past 2 months and he still looks WAY better than Sacha. You are right though, he hasn’t been as consistent as he was last year.

46. lucy says:

Um…..Toronto is in Canada too.

47. KC fan says:

I LIKE THAT BOONBOOREE!!!! Too bad Teal would miss the home opener if he gets the call, but he would still get to play for USA a few days later.

48. Brian says:

A team. Copa America will mostly be a U23 team

49. spencer says:

anyone but Kljestan, he was good in the mls but other than the one good international game he has been a complete bust. He isn’t even a starter for his team in Belgium. Yes I know its a decent team but its not that good to where he is exempt from having to play.

50. torporindy says:

It’s already April Fool’s Day in Sweden, I suppose. Bedoya just announced he signed with MLS on twitter.

51. Dave from Charlotte says:

I signed with Arsenal…I heard they were looking for old, slow, and fat RB’s.

52. gabe says:

when is april fools?

53. soccer chica says:

click on photo. zoom.
    feel intimidated by demps.

54. Danny says:

I don’t see how you drop Demerit. He’s our best CB right now based on his performance in this last two friendlies and the WC. Maybe drop Onyewu who hasn’t performed in a long time and has horrible passing and quickness. At one point against Argentina I thought the US players should stop passing him the ball because he’d likely screw up or easily give up possession. But, long term we need to develop some younger CB’s and Ream now looks ready to step up.

55. Turgid Jacobian says:

To go with their cursed goalies.

56. Turgid Jacobian says:

A Team: Confeds cup in Brazil ’13 is more important.

57. Ryan says:

This is a good question. I asked during the last live chat (not today’s) and the answer was more or less “slow down there.” Since then though, Charlie has scored 3 goals in two games. Sure, 2 were PKs, but that brings confidence, and according to everything I’ve read, that’s his biggest hurdle right now.

58. Taylor says:

hasn’t exactly been tearing it up with the Galaxy? oh yea, in the one game he’s played with them this season. what, should he have scored a hat trick and get an assist in one game?

stop jumping to conclusions. every player get’s rusty. every. single. one. he had his first break in a year and a half and is getting back into full match fitness, give him a few more games, he hasn’t lost it just by our perception of 3 performances.

that being said, i agree, he is wasting his prime years in MLS. i love MLS, but he may have missed his shot to play in Europe for more than a few months at a time if he doesn’t go very, very soon

59. abc says:

SBI has an unhealthy crush on Alejandro Bedoya. He will not make the team.

The final midfielder will be Mix Diskerud.

(SBI-You might want to grow up. Us thinking a player is better than you think he is does not “a crush” make. As for Diskerud making it ahead of Bedoya, the Diskerud who didn’t get a minute in the friendlies? We’ll see what happens in May.)

60. JS says:

Agreed…Cooper? though I would like to see Convey get a chance

61. Taylor says:

it’s not like Bradley will call him without merit, he definitely understands Bornstein’s shortcomings, how could he not? but he may get the call for one reason only… who else would back up Boca? Lloyd had a good debut, but that unless he lights up MLS for the next 2 months, donning him the next LB for us is jumping the gun a whole lot. i have given up on Pearce even more than Bornstein, as bad as he is, at least he looks like he is trying, which i can’t say for Pearce, who isn’t even that good in MLS

62. Dave from Charlotte says:

This makes me think of an interesting question (at least its interesting to me…):

Is MLS as a league to the point where an in form player, playing very well and consistently, trumps a European player riding the pine, not in the best form, or not playing consistently?

63. abc says:

Right, but he will have already made his “return to Canada”… this weekend… in Vancouver… which is in Canada.

64. abc says:

Let’s ignore the fact that he’s now playing in the Bundesliga and doing quite well.

65. abc says:

Perhaps speculating about soccer rosters is not for you.

66. GEORGE says:

WHAT ABOUT BECKERMAN HE’S BEEN OUTSTANDING FOR REAL SALT LAKE

67. Dlewis says:

I agree he is behind Agudelo, but I’m not sure about Buddle.

68. Alex says:

I have never really seen any club matches for them – we don’t get mid-table Norwegian or Swedish matches over here I guess. Are they shredding over there, or something? I haven’t really heard much. So strange the hype that surrounds Diskeruud and the constant calls for Bedoya to be reinstated.

69. bizzy says:

come on spencer…you don’t have to be a starter for your club to play on the USMNT….ask Michael Bradley.

Sasha had a good game playing a weak team like Paraguay (don’t take my work for it, look at the ratings), so I guess he’s in too

Just saying….

70. duder says:

I am a Bornstein fan, I love the guy, but he’s not USMNT 1st string material right now. He could be down the road if FMF improves his football. Right now we could really use Bobby Convey backing up Boca at LB. Convey had an elite year in MLS last season and can serve pinpoint crosses in from 30-40 yards out.

71. Alex says:

He’s playing well… in the Eredivisie, a league notorious for sh*t defending. See him get shredded in the Europa League matches, though.

(SBI-Shredded? Haha. Exaggerate much?)

72. Hector Nava says:

April 1st buddy

73. Jeff Awesome says:

Hate to see Goodson left out. There is an injury issue there, but he looked great every time he played for the national team. Set piece threat as well. Didn’t Onyewu and DeMerit both pick up small injuries in these last two friendlies? Take Goodson and leave off a midfielder. Spector and Chandler can play midfield.

(SBI-I can definitely see Goodson going, but with Bocanegra and Spector capable of playing centerback, as well as Edu, bringing Ream, Onyewu and DeMerit should be enough cover. Now, if Onyewu isn’t healthy then Spector goes. Otherwise you’re talking about leaving either Lichaj or Spector home. Lichaj is a possibility I suppose, but he’s also got some experience at left back on the club level so he could help that way.)

74. eh says:

wow that is weird, what’s worse is that Jozy’s wiener is sticking out or else he is going to the bathroom

75. euroman says:

Poor Ives is just like the average fans now when it comes to NY guys or potential guys…..one decent match and everything changes. Goodson is 10000% lock to be on this GC team and start unless he’ injured. In BB’s eyes he is our #1 CB! Ives please top being a fan and try to become more detached and not fall for the flavor on the week.

(SBI-I’m hardly the only person who thought Ream did very well. As for Goodson, he could definitely make the team, but when on earth has Bob Bradley come close to calling Goodson the top centerback in the pool? Guess that’s why he played him ZERO minutes at the World Cup.)

76. Joe B. NYC says:

Why does Double B hate Torres so much?

77. Mito says:

Doubt it, Ponce hasn’t been considered for the Mexican squad at any level.

78. scott "honorary Tim" says:

I think we need a defensive unit with everyone named Tim and we’ll be alright. so, only 2 more spots to fill

79. beckster says:

well two out of four not bad – Convey if he continues to play well should be on that roster and I’ll always take anyone over kljestan but Cooper over Buddle or Pearce over Lichaj? Not a fan of those picks.

80. beckster says:

unfortunately he can and he will

81. beckster says:

Interesting Ives….I think it will be tough for Bradley to leave Spector at home because of this versatility you mention. He can play every position but goalie for heck sake…he may not be seeing time but he is a valuable asset…..

82. Mito says:

I always thought “Why does BB like Torres so much?”. I just can’t see him fitting in a team like ours. His style just doesn’t fit ours and probably never will.

83. mark says:

Sasha should not see the US kit until after the GC. He hasn’t showed anything since the Sweden match 900 yrs ago. What happens if CD9 is leading MLS in goals come June?

84. B1879 says:

Can’t imagine Bornstein doesn’t get called in. I want to say he takes Bedoya’s spot on the list, but the point about a lack of wingers makes that tough. If Bedoya does come to MLS, it really might depend on how he does with his new squad. We have a legit four deep at right back and a waiting list to play in the central midfield. I can’t see Bradley leaving Bornstein home with the idea that Lichaj or Spector can backup Bocanegra. He seems to values players who are familiar with the system and Bornstein (like him or not) has a lot of minutes with the A-team. Chandler is a lock and Spector offers utility and familiarity. Maybe Lichaj is left home. Tough calls.

85. Micah King says:

Replace Bedoya with Diskerud. Replace Bundury wit Charlie Davies only if he keeps up his MLS form.

86. Phil says:

shut. up.

87. B1879 says:

He probably makes the All-Star team.

88. MC Pharaoh says:

Davies or Wondo over Buddle please… I would think Buddle not playing at all against Argentina and Paraguay would tell you something. He is not only playing for FC Ingoldstadt, but is apparently on bad form because of it. Its kind of the same story for Feilhaber. I would say maybe call Goodson since you know Chandler can play midfield as well or better than RB.

So Davies/Wondo for Buddle

&

Goodson for Feilhaber imo

but otherwise I agree

Why Davies? He has scored 3 goals so far, yes 2 were PK’s, but I see him continuing the goal scoring because of the growing confidence.

89. Peter says:

CD9!

90. Phil says:

Becajerman? C’mon…. the last thing we need is another utility non attacking midfielder in the pool… we already have a bajillion.

that is all.

91. Sean says:

Whatever happened to Edgar Castillo?

92. John says:

bring Lloyd over Spector. spector just isn’t good. might as well see if we can find a solution at LB

93. Phil says:

SBI opinied that maybe it’s worth taking a look at Cherundolo at left back. I wholeheartedly agree. Chandler is too good to leave on the bench, but so is Cherundolo and so is ‘Boca for that matter.

After these past two friendlies I think that as long as everyone stays healthy the only real question is what to do about left back. That and I could see Spector or Clark getting a call over Kljestan, if for no other reason that they can play defense or midfield, and BB sticks by his project players (Clark) which is sadly exactly why I expect JB will be going as well. I swear it’s like banging a head against a wall while chewing on tinfoil.

here’s what I want to see:

——Altidore————–
    ————-Agudelo——-
    Donovan————-Dempsey
    ————-Bradley——–
    ——-Jones—————-
    Boca—————–Cherundolo
    ——-Ream—DeMerit——
    ———–Howard———–

subs that see playing time for tactical reasons:
    Feilhaber, Edu, Bocanegra, Buddle, Chandler, Gooch (if healthy)
    subs that come on in the event of injury Bedoya Guzan Spector.

And in an alternate universe where age and up n’ coming trumps experience and seniority? maybe we’d see this….

——Bunbury————–
    ————-Agudelo——-
    Bedoya—————-Chandler
    ————-Junior——–
    ——-Edu—————-
    Loyd—————–Lichaj
    ——-Ream—Goodson——
    ———–Guzan———–

not a bad JV squad I’ve gotta say…..

94. Jack says:

Lichaj just seems too good to be left home. Yes, he’s behind Chandler in line for RB, but he still has the possibility of LB/Chandler being moved up to the wing.

But yes, I agree that Spector’s experience and versatility might give him a leg up with the managers, even if Lichaj was, in my opinon, more impressive.

95. Ivan says:

Bedoya just got signed by MLS!!!!!!!!!!!

96. Adam M. says:

No way he’s behind Buddle. Better question is whether Chandler’s emergence as a right mid candidate pushes Dempsey or Donovan up top with Agudelo. If Dolo and/or Lihaj can cover the back, Chandler looks to be quite a new weapon for us.

97. Jack says:

Hmm, nice to see that Guzan might not be missing the tournament. I mean a wedding is, what? A half hour ceremony, three hour reception? Plenty of time to play Mexico around that (I kid, I kid).

I think that we’re going to see Kljestan not because he’s necessarily the better player, but because between him and Mixx, he’s the guy who got some minutes in the friendlies this past week. Don’t know if I agree, but I think that that’s the way that BB will think.

If Lichaj is edged out by Heath Pearce, some **** is going to go down. I’d prefer having Lichaj, a RB with some LB experience, behind Boca than Pearce. I’m also not thrilled with Spector being included as a defender (think that he still will be, though), but I guess that I wouldn’t mind seeing him tested out at CB at some point. The combination of the fact that we know how good Cherundolo still is and the performances put in by the young guys in the friendlies just seems to take him out of the running for RB entirely.

98. c00kiem0nster says:

Please just let Charlie complete an entire season before we start talking about him being thrown into the USMNT roster.

How bad would it be to bring him in too quickly and he has an awful performance? Why not wait until his form is on point so he can succeed rather than fizzle out.

If you’re a fan of CD9, you should want him to not be called in until he’s in the best form possible so he can stay in the USMNT lineup.

How is confidence his biggest hurdle when he’s calling for taking PKs and making them? Pretty sure his biggest hurdle is getting his weapon of speed back.

99. Louis Z says:

SBI – I believe his struggles has been going for a while now. in his prior friendlies he wasn’t making a bad pass because he was passing it to goodson to distribute or passing it back to the golie. His confidence is shot yet he gets a pass to the starting 11 every time. To say is playing well, is looking at it through rose color glasses. sad.

100. “Confidence” being his biggest hurdle are CD9’s words. He’s stated he’s pretty much back in his fitness (although I’d say he’s probably got a little more game fitness to go) and that getting his confidence/swagger back is all he has left to do.

101. fan4usa says:

How bad is Holden hurt? Any chance of him coming back in time?

102. Brett says:

Chivas only plays Mexican players.

103. Louis Z says:

Wow! selecting between Goodson and Spector as an alternate for the CB position, talk about not much love for Goodson. Not sure what else this guy can do be regarded higher

104. Tim M. says:

ponce will probably be on the mexican u-23 that goes to the copa america. he loves chivas too much and it hurt anyways i think.

105. Dave from Charlotte says:

No…September return.

106. wilyboy says:

Mixx is playing better than Bedoya right now, and call ups seem to do little for the latter’s confidence.

107. Neruda says:

I’d love to see Bunbury and Agudelo start together in on or more GC game. These two seem to know each other well and it may serve to motivate Jozy.

108. ACS says:

I see Bunbury starting on the 14th against Guadeloupe in KC.

109. Dennis says:

Actually, I thought Bornstein had a decent game defensively. It was clear he was taking that responsibility more seriously. But he did look a bit rusty, he usually can make some of the plays he tried and failed against Paraguay.

Not sure there is a real option at LB other than Boca and JB. The other suspects who have been tried did not really do any better. Maybe Lloyd will step it up or maybe Convey can do it, but I think both of those are long-shots.

Spector might have seen his last call-up in some time. He is clearly behind ‘dolo and Chandler and probably Lichaj as well. In the midfield he is pretty far down the pecking order. Too bad, he has been ok, but the others have looked better in recent games.

110. Dennis says:

Well, CBs need to defend first and Demerit does that well. I suspect we will continue to see one of Demerit, Onyewu or Boca at CB for some time until younger players in addition to Ream actually look ready to handle the 90 minutes of attention CBs must bring to the task.

There is nothing harder for a team to recover from than defensive errors made by CBs, especially if that CB is young and untested, it can shake the confidence of the entire team.

111. JR says:

Did we really see the emergence of Tim Ream? Paraguay was hardly doing a great deal of attacking in that game. Ream was ok, the speed of what the U.S. wanted to do didn’t leave him behind. I wouldn’t mind seeing more, but the Paraguay game didn’t establish him.

112. Dennis says:

Really, in the GC the US will play teams who defend and pack the PA and Mexico. I suspect we need to utilize attacking minded backs and more attack-minded midfielders for all games but Mexico. The non-Mexican teams will try to defend and counter, our CBs better be able to handle that and the outside backs better not both get forward at the same time or we might be 1 down and facing 10 players in the Penalty area. Players who can break-down a packed defense, will be needed. Bite my tongue, but an Adu could be useful to dribble in the box.

Against Mexico, who, I think likes to attack up the wings and cross, we better have outside backs with some speed who have the discipline to stay home most of the time. I think that against Mexico, it will be more of an open game with chances for both teams to possess the ball and score rather than one team bunkering down. Also, against Mexico, there will be some very physical play and the US better keep its composure.

113. Dennis says:

Should have said an Adu or a Davies or another good dribbler (Aguedelo?).

114. Jason B says:

I think that was his April Fool’s prank on his Twitter followers since I have seen nothing about it from an independent source.

115. Hush says:

Here is my wish list. If Chuck is having a great season in the MLS in two months, no question he needs to be called in. The whole point of the National Team is to get players that are in rhythm and on FFIIIRREE!

Here is my players I’m going to be pulling for.

Charlie Davies & Freddy Adu. Two great technical players that could do some serious damage up front.

Buddle & Sasha seem like a waste of roster spots. I’m hoping Chuck & Adu take these two guys spots. Hate it or love it!

116. Warren says:

He was deer in headlights at Cup; and before that, fall guy for goals MB miscues caused.

So…it’s a long road back for him.

117. Bryan says:

Bedoya has done nothing to earn the spot. The only time I ever hear anyone mention the guys name is on this site

118. duhboy7 says:

hahhahha that way awkward hand placement is hilarious

119. Ben says:

Yes, his own words, and therefore, unfortunately, there is some reason to doubt them. He still doesn’t look anywhere close to the player who scored in Azteca, and I’m not sure he will ever get that speed and quickness back.

120. B Foley says:

I am just curious how much longer we will continue to ignore the development at left back. I think Bornstein’s defensive abilities are comparable to Lloyd/Convey, but his inability to contribute to the attack leave Landon on an island. He often left with no support/ overlapping runs. If we want to compete with the top teams on a consistent basis we can not be a one sided attacking team. I feel like we missed an opportunity to give Lloyd a run with the first team. At least we would know what he can do with the top talent.

121. Ben says:

I completely agree with number 1. Whether it is Lyod or not, we need to expand the leftback we are looking at because while the ones we have might pass in CONCACAF, they are liable to be toasted by good teams, like Argentina tormenting Boca. As for 2, I think so, because it would allow you to bring in some younger players if you can have a guy as cover for several positions. As for 4, really? Maybe Starikov, maybe Torres, perhaps Pearce, but Jeffrey and Peterlin? Just no.

122. Ben says:

Yeah, I don’t know how Kljestan keeps getting calls. It seems obvious he just isn’t going to contribute in a meaningful way, so why not use that roster spot to bring in a young guy with promise?

123. Ben says:

That is an interesting question and I’ve been wondering about it as well. Compared to much of Europe, I think it is at that point. So, I’d take an inform MLS player over someone sitting or struggling in any of the smaller leagues, even the Dutch. I would tip the scale in the other direction for the big leagues, England, Germany, Spain, and so on, but that the question doesn’t make me convulse with laughter is a good sign. Hooray MLS!

124. Ben says:

Ah, so true. Ives goes about with a picture of Bedoya in his wallet, when he is with his wife, he is really thinking about Alejandro, and at night, before he goes to sleep, Ives listening to Gaga’s Alejandro on repeat, then drifts to the realm of the unconscious, dreaming of running his fingers through Alejandro’s luscious hair.

(It’s a joke Ives, don’t hate me!)

(SBI-Don’t call my name.)

125. Robert Daniels says:

What medical school did you go to Dr.? I don’t think any of us are qualified to make that statement.

126. bizzy says:

Hush man….I gonna be looking for you posting from now on dude.

127. Rex says:

Say what you want about Clark, but look at his history in CONCACAF. He is great at disrupting teams in this part of the world.

128. DC Josh says:

I hope we never see Bornstein again. He is shocking. You could make an argument for Charlie Davies to make a comeback. If he starts getting 90 minutes and scores goals, there is no way he doesn’t get a call-up to the camp, at the very least.

129. Ben says:

I love when people throw that out there, as if you needed to go to medical school to know about devastating injuries in the past from which players never wholly recovered. I’m basing my opinion on things like Chris Webber, Bo Jackson, and I dont know, lots and lots of other athletes. I’m not diagnosing the injury, nor am I operating on it, so I don’t need a medical degree.

130. Simon says says:

Amazing how you can tell “soccer” is new to Americans. In the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s most pre-game team pictures had the players putting their hands on the legs of the player next to him. Did not matter if it was Germany or Brazil or whomever. Just google any team and check out the photos!

131. Brent McD says:

those purple boots kinda ruin the effect

132. Robert Daniels says:

The point is Ben, that its way to early to say that he’s done. Charile Davies isn’t Bo Jackson or Chris Webber, and he’s looked pretty good so far. I would wait at least 20 more seconds into his next match to write him off again.

133. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

You know Americans aren’t good with geography.

134. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

I don’t want to see Clark in the midfield either, but maybe he can keep playing well at CB and help us there.

135. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

Do you have a list of these “miscues?”

136. Murph says:

Ives

If “Jozy Altidore is slumping but is still a safe bet to make the team.” How many m,ore chances does he get before he’s replaced with a gaol producer?

Diskerud seems a talent that has been missing from the US squad. If he doesn’t make the team, who’s the creative player in the middle?

137. EAscott says:

yeah, why do we need Spector, Lichaj, Cherundolo, and Chandler. I would say we need Loyd or Pearce over Spector or Lichaj…

138. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

He’s played in two for the Gal’s, Seattle on First Kick Tuesday, then against NE Revolution.
    and he did not look sharp in either game, nor against Argentina or Paraguay. I wouldn’t call it a ‘loss of speed’, but rather a loss of form.

139. Poor Richard says:

I agree with this roster in terms of a projection about who will make and who won’t. But I have to say that we need to allow (much) younger players the chance to assert themselves while keeping veterans around.

So I would add Zach Loyd in for sure at left back. He has tremendous potential and seems to be growing as a player very quickly. He reminds me of a 1998 Frankie. Then we cut Spector. His Confederations Cup performance is beginning to feel like a fluke. He is a versatile player, though. Also, I take Goodson over Onyewu if he’s fit. Onyewu doesn’t even look like a soccer player when he has the ball at his feet anymore.

Bob Bradley should do the obvious and push Dempsey up top. He won’t do it, but he ought to consider adding Convey to play an outside left mid. Convey was just great last year for the Quakes and help turn that team around. Alternatively he has Wondolowski sub as an outside mid. This means Burnburry or whoever ends up as the 4th striker is left off. I am a Buddle fan. We need poachers badly. Especially against weaker teams when we create a lot of chances. Altidore has not poaching ability because his off the ball work rate is so low.

140. Poor Richard says:

I kind of agree with this. We don’t have anyone like him on the roster right now, so it might be worth a try again.

141. Raghu says:

I was bummed that Benny was hurt. If BB is gonna play with the 4-5-1 a bit more – would be interesting to see Benny play in front of Bradley and Jones or Bradley and Edu.

Also wonder if the Edu at centerback option is over. I was one of the few who thought it wasn’t a terrible idea.

Bornstein on the left – I don’t see how he won’t play. There’s a chance we may need Boca at centerback and bornstein is the only other real option currently. Also – I’m sure bornstein’s leash is long after handling the job in the last two WC matches last year.