Chandler impresses in USMNT debut

USMNTHCS20110326011

photo by Howard C. Smith/ISIphotos.com

By FRANCO PANIZO

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – When head coach Bob Bradley told Timmy Chandler that he'd be entering the U.S. national team's match against Argentina for his international debut, the 20-year-old right back's reaction was not one of a newcomer getting ready to face the best player in the world in Lionel Messi in his first cap.

Instead of feeling anxious, overjoyed or overwhelmed by the moment that was about to present itself, the German-born son of an American serviceman and German woman solely focused on the task at hand.

""I was not nervous, I don't know why," said Chandler, who speaks limited English. "I think I played what I can so I could help the team."

That he did.

After suffering one of the worst first half outings in recent memory by chasing Messi and the talented and savvy Argentine squad, the United States received a boost when Chandler and fellow youngster Juan Agudelo entered the 1-0 game at the start of the second half.

Instead of seeing Messi, Angel Di Maria, Esteban Cambiasso and the rest of the Argentines knock the ball around from end to end and side to side with the ease, the United States was able to get into a rhythm offensively with the help of Chandler.

The Nurnberg defender made several good runs forward and whipped in at least three good crosses that could've led to goalscoring opportunities. He did not play a part in the equalizing goal scored by Agudelo in the 59th minute, but it was evident that Chandler helped keep Argentina on its toes since entering the match.

"He was a good outlet for us," said Jay DeMerit. "In the first half, we didn't use our outlets as well, and in the second half we definitely did so. And for him to come on in this type of situation shows the type of character he is and that's a positive as well."

Defensively, Chandler did get beat a few times by Ezequiel Lavezzi but he always seemed to recover, in large part due to his speed.

"I thought he played very well," said DeMerit. "He got up and down, he recovered well, played some very good balls into the box, and that's what you always ask from your right back. I thought he did all of those things very well tonight.

Chandler's forays into Argentina's final third were arguably his most impressive contributions on the night, as the precise and powerful crosses he delivered helped the Americans attack a back line that was troubled little in the first half.

"For a player who now comes on for the first time, it was a good first (45 minutes)," said Bradley. "He helped the team a lot. As we worked with Timmy this week, his movements coming forward are good, his crossing I think has been good. I thought he got three good crosses in tonight."

Chandler delivered that type of performance despite playing with a team he's known for about a week, but he credited that to his teammates' warm welcome.

"The team was very good," said Chandler. "They all talked to me and so, it's good. They are like family. Tim Howard talked a lot to me.

"Jermaine (Jones) speaks some German and helped me train when I don't understand something."

Chandler may be grateful for the reception he received from his new team, but they seemed equally as thankful to have him on their side.

"So far he's come in with a really good way about him," said Bradley. "Maybe nervous the first day but after that, eager, and I know this was a good way to get going."

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, International Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

111 Responses to Chandler impresses in USMNT debut

1. timmytwoshoezzz says:

Did we really need 45 minutes to determine that Chandler>>Spector? Can we just start playing Dolo and the young guys in the back now? The US back line is slow, stale, and in need of some serious improvement.

2. Ken says:

It’s good that we’ve found a successor in Chandler and Lichaj for Dolo. Looking forward to some other youngsters emerging to secure the LB position.

3. Tyler says:

That’s been understood for a while. Spector is god awful as a defender and has been playing “well” only when moved into the MF and we all know there is no real way he sees time for USMNT at that spot during this WC Cycle so he either sits orrrrrr he doesn’t suit up for us.. I know which one I’d prefer…

4. Oranje Mike says:

I have never encountered a younger German that did not speak fluent English. Weird.

Glad to read he played well. Agudelo too. We need to stop relying on “names”. If they can’t produce they need to be benched. It’s that simple.

5. Larry y says:

Lol. Jermaine certainly speaks some German… My question can he play left back?

6. Mat says:

I was at the New Meadowland last night and got to see him play live.
    What a breath of fresh air he is: fast, good crosser, physical, good technique. He was very impressive.

7. bottlcaps says:

This was pretty much the same backline that defeated Spain in 2009. Bob Bradley was going for experience that bent but didn’t break. The US did dodge a lot of bullets in the first half, but as soon as they figured the ref was not a Euro ref and that falling down would not engender a foul, the US defense seemed to find their way, and started muscling Argentina off the ball.
    The second half another game altogether.

What is obvious to all but BB is that Altidore does not work well alone at top. His discipline was lacking and he spent more time chasing, and when he did get the ball, he was off to the races, frequently without any support. Adding Agudelo, gave him someone to work off and it showed.

A lot have said, “Argentina was unlucky not to win.” No. Argentina was lucky not to lose.

8. Münster says:

At a slightly faster rate, we’d be able to field an entire team completely filled with the offspring of largely illegitimate children our US forces leave behind in Germany.

9. MiamiAl says:

I agree. I thought Chandler was excellent. He was a gamechanger for the defense. I definitely want to see more of this kid!

10. john.q says:

chandler looked great. would like to see him in a few more games to see if this continues.

11. Aquaman says:

I know it brings more questions than answers, but why not put Chandler as a right mid. He’d provide defensive help for right back (most likely Lichaj) while also putting in good attacking runs. You would of course have to figure out what to do with either Dempsey or Donovan, but if you’re going to play the single striker, Edu is not the answer in the middle. Then again the question would be what to do with Holden when he comes back. I guess my point is that he does play right mid for Nurnberg why not try him there for the US?

12. A says:

For those of us who follow Bundesliga and Chandler at his club, this is no surprise. What is very surprising to us is that Chandler did not start.

Chandler is getting swooped up by a big club in the near future, he is that good. He is one of the hottest defensive commodities out of Germany.

13. This Guy says:

He sent some beauties into the box and his speed was dangerous. First step full speed kinda guy.

14. Oz says:

So we have a Colombian and a German in the US national team.

15. Brian says:

AMERICA!!! F&*K YEAH!!

16. This Guy says:

My 2 aren’t illegitimate but they are in the youth system in Italy. They actually play with most kids half Italian/ half American.

17. Brian says:

Spector wasn’t terrible. He got beat a few team, but so did Chandler. Spector just wasn’t able to get forward as much because we were pinned back in our half (hell our own box) for most of the 1st half.

18. This Guy says:

Every team does it the difference is that our players are actually American by one parent or due process.

19. Vince says:

I think that’s exactly the difference at forward: the US needs Altidore AND Agudelo up top — not one or the other.

It’s early, but I thought they complimented each other very well. I’d like to see them both start against Paraguay.

When you think about it, the Nats played their best soccer (last few games of Confed Cup) once Charlie Davies established himself as the speedy 9 to play off of Altidore.

BB tried Findley in that role at the WC, and we all know what happened. Now Agudelo seems like a great candidate for the 9 role.

20. adub says:

timothy chandler was the man of the match for me… im elated he will be playing for the usa… he reminds me of a young dolo… and of course chandler>>>>>spector,lichaj,lloyd, etc

21. Sven says:

Exactly how was he impressive?

22. bizzy says:

Amen…Aquaman

23. adub says:

well said. it translated over the tube as well… i liked his first touch and confidence to push the ball forward… he looks to have good pace as well. woulda liked to see him go the full 90 though

24. Primoone says:

Here is what impressed me….bradleys gross display of nepotism. He used this friendly to “showcase” jr for a full 90. There was no reason he should have played more than 50 to 65 minutes. I’m a big bradley fan hoewever, it seemed as if he was the only one desperately defending. In the midfield he left his feet quite often. That screams of being in poor form and uncharacteristic of his game. Consider who they played, yes however, bradley obviously needed to be subbed.

Misplaced rant over…

If chandlers play is any indication of the what the u s will have post dolo, then we
    are in great shape
    . Can lichaj play LB?

25. ZacIndy says:

German chicks love American GIs more than David Hasselhoff

26. Srgn02 says:

I think you do a player a disservice by starting them in their first cap. Training is much different than playing. They can benefit from and at least get a feel for the game and how the team is playing by watching their teammates play before entering the match. I think Bradley did well to bring him in at the half. As big a game as this is for us as spectators (and I’m aware that the players really want to win such a high profile match), it is still “just” a friendly – a game to evaluate talent for more important matches. To ease him in was the right thing to do.

27. Mike says:

I don’t think Jr. is all that good, but I think taking off Jones was the right move. It was only a matter of time before yet another rash challenge got him a red. He looks old and slow out there and he passing in the first half was terrible. Not that Jr.’s passing was any better but at least he has a motor.

28. ThaDeuce says:

Spector for the playmaker role in the 4-5-1!!

29. Miguel says:

Chandler’s emergence could offer a lot more flexibility in regard to our formation.

For instance, he could play on the right wing, Donovan could shift over to the left and we could put Dempsey up top.

Like what he brought to the table last night. Good stuff.

30. Miguel says:

Obviously Cherundolo would be at RB.

31. crosebud says:

Its good to see Chandler play well and I am interested to see who will start in D vs Paraguay. I won’t start any sort of Ream chatter because I think D is an area where experience really counts most. That said Boca and Demerit both left a lot to be desired last night. We can talk about a long term transition from our veteran players to these new kids but in the meantime I don’t know who I am comfortable with at CB when we face Chicarito in the Gold Cup! Also is Goodson hurt?

32. Jack says:

Really? Because Michael Bradley looked the least lost out of all the three CDMs in the first half (not that that’s saying much), and did some good destructive defensive midfielding in the second. Jones was the right sub to make, and I think that, in addition to the players added, helped to iron out some of the midfield’s issues. I expected more out of Jones in this game.

Lichaj has said that he can play LB. I don’t remember ever seeing him in the position, for club or country. If he can, it’d be interesting to see him and Chandler as outside backs. LB is still worrying me.

33. Jack says:

It was good to see him do well. He was sitting on the opposite side of the stadium from me, so I didn’t get a good look at everything he was doing, but I remember him powering up the right flank a few times and successfully getting balls to Donovan, which is what we needed.

34. Jack says:

And by sitting, I mean playing.

35. Josh says:

It’s the reality of globalization. Neither good nor bad; it just is.

36. FulhamNick says:

“After suffering one of the worst first half outings in recent memory by chasing Messi and the talented and savvy Argentine squad,”

Go back to the WC if u need some reminding of more poor first half starts…BB simply can not get a team ready for a game! He usually makes some head scratching selections and the team comes out flat and rigid. But of course all the writers and mindless US supporters will ignore that fact and focus on the subs he made at half and say what a great coaching move that was…umm hello if u r subbing someone at half it usually means u made some bad decisions

(and please no one chime in and say “it’s a friendly subs at half are normal” cause Argentina made only one sub the whole game in like the 65th min)

37. Older & Wiser says:

Anybody else think that Messi was in an offside position when he received the pass that he then slotted back across the face of goal for an assist? I was at the game and from the stands it definitely looked like Messi was off.

38. FulhamNick says:

Demerit left a lot to be desired?! He was the only one that looked some what competent back there. Gooch was absolutely terrible…I would have taken Goodson with his broken foot back there at some points

39. Seriously says:

Spot on Jack.

40. Babieca says:

Why is David Hasselhoff into American GIs?

41. Benjamin says:

I felt it could have gone either way. The officials were giving most of the borderline calls to the Argentines, particularly in the first half, so I am not surprised that the play was allowed to develop. It seemed that everyone, officials and the U.S. players alike, were mesmerized by Argentina in the first half.

Thankfully, the subs were made and the U.S. decided in the second half to actually play rather than simply watching the proceedings from afar. Also, the U.S. got much, much more physical as the game proceeded, which seemed to surprise the Argentines. Rather than admiring all the pretty passing, the boys got emotionally involved, especially after the equalizer. Neither side approached the second stanza with “friendly” intentions, which made for an entertaining 45 minutes.

42. William says:

Where have you been? In the old days we had far more “Americans” that had never set foot here playing for us.

This has been going on for many years and many countries do the same thing

43. Mingjai says:

Spector for the striker role in the 4-5-1!!

44. William says:

BTW I thought he looked good but am amazed that Boca isn’t being ripped to shreds. He was beaten all night like a circus monkey. Left back is our biggest defensive problem right now and Bornstein is NOT the answer

45. Babieca says:

And players who could have chosen Hungary (Timmy), Canada (Landon), Mexico (Bocanegra), Haiti (Jozy), Nigeria (Edu, Onyewu), and those are just the starters.

Welcome to the USA

It’s one of our the greatest strengths.

46. Tony in Quakeland says:

Yes. And I’m shocked at the lack of discussion about it. Clearly the players thought so, two of whom instantly signled for the call.

The other thing i’m shocked about is how we held what is probably the best team in the world right now to one goal, yet based on player discussions and ratings, we all sucked. Neat trick.

47. Babieca says:

You spelled Tim Howard wrong, but yeah, Chandler was quite good.

48. Tony in Quakeland says:

And who said he was?

49. MidWest Ref says:

I think Mike is correct. The Jr. bashers may not like it, but Jr. was the only one with any luck in disrupting the Argies attack in the first half – not that anyone did great. Jr. was the epitome of the old English phrase “getting stuck-in”.

Jones, other than the single counter attack we had in the first half, was simply not involved in the game. In this game, in a midfield role, Jones had to go to the game, not the other way around. The reason Jr. continues to play is because he will grab the game by the scruff of the neck and fight.

That being said, I thought maybe Coach Bob could have taken off Edu rather than Jones.

(SBI-Spot-on comment here. As for Edu/Jones sub, my theory was that of the two Edu was the one more likely to have more energy in second half because Jones ran around like crazy while Edu sat forward floating in no-man’s land. In the end Edu looked pretty good in the second half.)

50. Benjamin says:

Can Chandler play left back? If so, Lichaj on the right and Chandler on the left for the Paraguay game would be a worthy experiment.

51. Mingjai says:

I agree with you Miguel. The biggest knock on Chandler seems to have been the fact that we was (understandably) beaten a few times last night. Pushing him up into the midfield would give the US a strong attacking presence up the right flank with Chandler and Cherundolo. Donovan would bring the same speedy attacking presence on the left side.

Dempsey needs to be playing up top so he can develop some chemistry the other forward options. I’d like to see him paired with Agudelo. As a forward, Dempsey should be given some freedom roam around the offensive end to create plays or draw away defenders.

52. Pablo says:

I was happy with Demerit´s performance considering he has hardly played since last summer. He brings a nice tenacity and just might factor for most of this cycle which I wouldn´t have predicted before this game.

Boca gives up way too much space at LB.

Is this because he is leary of getting beaten by the quicker wingers?

I thought Gooch was ok. He is just so slow and as he ages this is going to get progressively worse, especially if he picks up anymore significant injuries. With all the progress he made in his tenure in Belgium the clock may be against him. Those bigger bodies tend to break down at younger ages.

Chandler was a real revelation for me. It was great to see a fullback other than Cherundolo get forward and offer such nice crosses with the speed to recover at the other end.

Spector hit some beautiful crosses in the confed cup 09, but is slow on the edge. People keep wanting to push him to CM but I think he could earn some time at CB as his positioning is pretty good and he would provide improved distribution from the back.

53. Zach says:

Thought he played right back for Nurnberg….

54. Mike says:

Agree Miguel. I think Chandler is the RB of the future, but for this summer the position is still Dolo’s. I would really like to see a 4-4-2 Gold Cup lineup that starts Dolo at RB, plays Chandler and Donovan at the wings, and plays Dempsey and Jozy up top. I think you have a completely open competition between Bradley, Edu, and Jones for the 2 center spots.

You then have Agudelo, Bunburry, and Buddle available as striker subs, and you still have Benny and the third holding mid as available subs. Lots of flexibility and options.

Past the Gold Cup, you make Chandler the first choice RB. That allows you to move Dempsey back to the wing with Donovan. You can then either play a 4-5-1 with Holden, Edu/Bradley/Jones, or stay with a 4-4-2, featuring two of Jozy, Agudelo, Bunburry, and Davies (maybe), with a midfield competition for two spots with Bradley, Edu, Holden, and Jones.

55. Zach says:

By the way, that’s my way of saying, yes he does play fullback for Nurnberg. Or at least has been for the past few games.

56. wes says:

He is a younger, more promising version of Tony Sanneh. Powerful, with pace, and can whip in some crosses like those of Sanneh in the 2002 World Cup.

57. crosebud says:

Another question along the lines of our aging back line. At what point do we stop thinking about regional play and friendlies and start thinking about building for the next WC? I have a feeling it depends very much on the Gold Cup this summer. A win guarantees a Confed cup berth, correct? therefore we play our best team now and try to secure that very good warm-up event for the top players in the next cycle. But on the off chance we don’t win the Gold Cup, how soon should we start retiring Boca Dolo Gooch and maybe a few others?

and also I ask this as a question of strategy, I mean no disrespect to three of the best defenders in USMNT history.

58. wes says:

Check this vid out of Sanneh
    link to youtube.com

59. Zach says:

solid post.

60. Zach says:

Dude stop. I’m so sick of this. Chandler and Jones’ respective fathers are AMERICAN serviceman. AKA they left America and were stationed in Germany to keep YOU and ME and everyone in this country safe.

If you don’t consider their sons American, then I don’t know what the hell is wrong with you.

61. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

Don’t forget JFT and Herc (Mexico), Stuart Holden (Scotland), Lichaj (Poland), Mix (Norway), Bunbury (Canada), not to mention a slew of U-18 players.

62. FulhamPete says:

+(Number of dual citizens CHOOSING to play for USA)

63. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

Or if the Chandler at right mid, Dempsey up top experiment actually works, why not just put Lichaj at RB?

64. Artie says:

Exactly, Zach. Oz said something stupid, but a whole lot of good things were written in this thread.

65. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

Gooch will be 32 at the next WC. He is only 28 now. Why would we “retire” him?

66. The bums will always lose says:

+ 1000

67. Eric says:

Gooch has about 65 balls to no one down the line. Boca will at least pass the ball in someone’s vicinity. Demerit was always left trying to clean up Gooch’s mistakes.

68. Well played, Babieca.

69. The same reason Spector isn’t going to get a look as a defensive mid – because he isn’t as good as our other options there.

70. To continue, Benny Feilhaber was born in Brazil and Jay DeMerit was eligible to play for Denmark, I believe. Then there are fringe players like Freddy Adu, Lee Nguyen, etc. And there are American-born players who represent other countries, like Giuseppe Rossi and Brede Hangelaand.

Welcome to the United States, we’re a nation of immigrants.

71. Aquaman says:

I’m fairly certain he played right back for the first couple games because of an injury but then they moved him into the right mid position and he got a goal and an assist in his first game there. I think he’s been playing right mid ever since because their regular right back is back from injury. Then again I’m not 100% about that.

72. Because Cherundolo is our best RB. It baffles me how little respect he gets from US fans. He’s about to captain his German team to a Champions League spot, and people are calling for a kid playing in the Championship to replace him!?

As far as Dempsey goes, he is a striker the same way that Edu is a CB. Just because he can play there in extraordinary circumstances doesn’t mean he should be playing there.

73. You replace players when better options come up. Not just younger, they have to be better. Cherundolo and Bocanegra are still our best options at RB and LB, respectively, and it really isn’t even close.

Dolo’s club team (which he captains) is currently sitting in third in the Bundesliga, in a Champions League spot. It is absurd that people want to replace him with a kid playing in the Championship or another kid who hasn’t even played an entire Bundesliga season.

74. Grayson says:

I think Spector defended quite well, he just had nothing going forward. I think he is better suited for a central role, either in defense or midfield. His skills on the ball are not bad, and he has pretty good size, so I think he could be a good option as a more evolved CB. I was horrified by Gooch’s inability to pass the ball. He needs some work.

75. Grayson says:

Spector actually defended much better than Chandler.

76. GW says:

Is it possible that the US had no reasonable options to pass the ball to in the first half so clearing was the order of the day?

Everytime I saw a US player get a ball out of the defense he was stripped of it pretty quickly. Chandler and Agudelo eased that plus it was unlikely that Argentina was going to be able to keep up that pace forever.

77. GW says:

“What is obvious to all but BB is that Altidore does not work well alone at top. ”

Who would you have started alone up top?

78. What has Ream ever done? says:

“the D could have used tim ream too. demerit and onyewu did well but their passing out of the back was awful. lots of long balls to no one”

Is Ream as dominant defensively as those other two? I doubt it. In case you forgot Messi got nothing off us and it wasn’t only because of Howard.

Your incompetent passing defenders were still on the field in the second half when the defense actually had someone to pass to. Agudelo and Chandler gave the defense outlets to pass to and the same defenders who couldn’t pass the ball before suddenly could pass the ball.

Let me put this in American terms. It’s hard to complete a pass when there is no one open and when the defense is constantly burying you.

Let me use another American sport cliche. You play the game for 90 minutes, not 45. All these you “fans” seem to forget that.

79. GW says:

They probably will.

But when you play right mid you don’t get the same overlap space a right back sometimes gets to build up a run. A right back is also likely to have a weaker defender on him than the right mid.

I think it will depend on who the US is playing.

80. My sentiments exactly. I’ve seen a lot of fans throwing criticism at BB for starting Jozy as the lone striker up top – but the truth of the matter is that nobody else was called into camp that would realistically take that role. If we were going to play a 4-5-1, which it seemed apparent we would, I’m not sure why anybody would be surprised that Altidore was the lone striker.

81. Gw says:

Sunil Gulati

82. RedLine55 says:

i could be wrong, but on the replays it looked like Demerit got a bit caught and kept Messi onside, when the rest of the D was keeping a line, which would have made messi offside. Spec and Co. had to chase after him to the end line, which, as many the world over have seen, often ends poorly for the defense.

83. RedLine55 says:

OK, so here’s my theory (and beware this is completely superficial, based on shallow visual evidence, and you should pay it only little serious mind):

Timothy Chandler, born in Frankfurt, Germany, is actually a rogue military spy and superhuman agent (a la Jason Bourne), planted in Germany in order to infiltrate European football academies, and eventually bring USSF (and then the US government) to power, thus controlling the world. Many have commented on his “unique” physical appearance (“FrankenChandler”), and we can assume this was a result of a glitch in the system during the Creation Phase.

Just a hunch. You’ve been warned.

84. GW says:

“gross display of nepotism…There was no reason he should have played more than 50 to 65 minutes.”

Never let up on that huh?

MB was playing well. It was a friendly, yes but some friendlies are more serious than others. So MB went for the win/tie against arguably one of the best teams in the world at this time. So shoot him.

Messi seemed to be taking this very seriously. He did play the whole 90. In fact Argentina made one substitution in the 73rd minute ( Biglia for Cambiasso). Now doesn’t that tell you maybe they were pretty serious about this?

He made MB look bad at times but…hey it’s the Leo show and don’t tell me Holden would have shut him down. And Messi, after his otherworldy nutmegging of Boca, basically got just that one assist. He wasn’t very happy about it.

Finally who were you going to sub in?

Benny and Mix were not dressed .

Here are your choices:

Subs not used: 6-Tim Ream, 12-Jonathan Bornstein, 14- Edson Buddle, 16-Sacha Kljestan, 23-Marcus Hahnemann

85. GW says:

Leading up to the World Cup everyone was saying Bradley was great at prepping a team for the game but had no “game feel”.

Thus he didn’t know how to substitute ( see Brazil, Confed Cup final). Now all of sudden he knows how to sub but “BB simply can not get a team ready for a game”.

So he has the seond half down now. I guess that’s progress.

I have a theory. Nowadays he has players like Agudelo to put in. Funny how good players can make an idiot a smart manager all of a sudden.

As for coming out flat and rigid, had they done that last night they would have been down 4-0 by the half. They weren’t playing the Charleston Battery you know.

86. Dinho says:

He is horrible. Think horse with a broken leg…. put him out of his (our) misery.

87. RedLine55 says:

No doubt. Spector did what he was supposed to do and did it well. He was put in a terrible position and I think if it wasn’t for a few really good defensive plays from him, it could have been at least 3 goals from ARG in the first half. And I think it was Demerit who kept Messi on while the rest of the D (including Spec) were holding a good line… then he had to chase messi, and that’s just never good, which led to the goal.

88. nam says:

This has some plausibility to it, but I’m not sure why he needs to be a military spy.

89. RedLine55 says:

Gov. is keen to always keep an eye on the Germans i suppose? Fool us twice, shame on you… ha

90. burnsy says:

Certainly agree with Grayson….Spector is much better suited for a central defender role, or a creative center midfielder. He is one of a very few American defenders who can possess and pass out of the back (unlike Gooch). When watching him play central midfield for West Ham, he seems much quicker than at outside defender, has the confidence to take players on, and definitely has the tactical where with all to possess the ball and dictate play. He has been mightily misused by BB. I would have loved to see him as the attacking mid with Bradley /Jones as the defensive mid in the second half.

P.S.–Give Gooch a try at LB..where he plays for Twente!

91. Jeff Awesome says:

I think we need a military base in Brazil.

92. Louis Z says:

we are already giving up on Loyd? all he did wrong was not getting a call for these friendlies.

93. louis Z says:

maybe cris is talking about Tuesday’s game. DOLO still #1 at RB

94. Louis Z says:

Yeah, you wonder what Gooch has on BB (maybe a embarrasing video or something)for him to always get call for starting CB

95. Louis Z says:

I take it you didn’t see the game. he can’t ran, he can’t pass. what is left….he is an excellent blocker when the other team takes a shot on us. our plan which worked I may add is that we covered the Arg. attackers with more than one defender, the problem was once got the ball away we gave it right back at them so they can have another go at it.

96. Warren says:

+1 for using Spector in the midfield like he plays for West Ham, he’s not the answer at the back.

And +2 for playing Gooch at LB.

Finally, i have been advocating giving MB a try at CB, I think he be good and not in the way for Edu and Jones to play at cm, until one sits when Holden returns.

97. Warren says:

IF Jozy can’t handle the lone striker role – and he can’t – AND noone else in camp can; then it’s pretty simple: don’t play 1 striker. Duh. Even BB figured it out at the half, so now he’s a genious a again and we are idiots for having said that playing 3 d-mids wouldn’t work, because they’d get in each other’s way.

98. Warren says:

Nice try, but there were a lot of rushed and pointless passes out of the back in the second half as well as the first half.

It wasn;t the guys playing kickball in the back – in first and sceond half – that got the US the draw, it was bringing in a speedy back in Chandler, and bringing in Agudelo. And oh yeah a great performance from Howard

99. Yeah, that occurred to me shortly after I left my comment. If that’s the case, then apologies to Chris, but I stand by my comment, since there are plenty of people out there who can’t wait to rush Dolo and the other vets out the door, even though they remain our best options.

100. r.benjamin says:

I agree. Spector may no longer be the future, but I thought he actually had a good outing against a very tough asignment.

Chandler has wheels and is dangerous.. but he did get beat a couple of time and was bailed out.

Let’s not forget Spector’s assists in the Confed Cup..

101. r.benjamin says:

I’m usually one of the first ones to say I’m not sure a MF with Bradley is our best.

But after last night I concede something. Bradley is gritty. He does a lot of dirty work and gets stuck in when we’re playing an opponent better than us. For long stretches he was my man of the match for the single reason that he was the bull dog forcing argentina into a direction that allowed a US defender to intercept.

Now I still think against equal or lesser opponents M.Bradley isn’t technical or fluid enough.. but in a bunker down game he has to play.

102. r.benjamin says:

I’d like to see this tried out..

However.. How about Landon in the center midfield role. More a recessed forward where he can be dangerous (Behind Agudelo?). Dempsey and Chandler on the wings. Bradley/Edu or Jones behind them.

103. Brian says:

Very fitting comparison, especially since Sanneh is the one who contacted (he played for Nuernberg back in the day) Chandler about playing for the USMNT

104. Brian says:

Yeah you would give him a +2 for Gooch at LB. Why are you pimping at LB all over this site? He’s too goddamn slow to play LB.

105. Brian says:

A bunch of them just came out of nowhere all of a sudden:

Jones, Chandler, Yelldell and you still have Daniel Williams and that Huerzeler kid who plays for Bayern Munich. I’m sure there others in the youth ranks of German clubs that we don’t know about. Anyone know if Fabian Johnson who plays for Wolfsburg is part American?

106. abc says:

You are insane.

107. abc says:

You forgot German youth team forward Shawn Parker. Cross your fingers that Germany doesn’t think he’s good enough for their national team and he switches to the US.

108. cheez says:

No, we have all AMERICANS on the US national team.

This isn’t the case of years ago where we were trolling for absolutely anyone who could find an excuse to play for the US, then push immigration (Regis). Jones & Chandler are Americans by birth. Agudelo has been here for 10 years (more than half his life) and is naturalized.

Unless you are 100% Native American, you are just as much of an immigrant as those 3.

109. patrick says:

dempsey is an offensive player, however you want to slice it. There’s only 6 players in the EPL that have more goals than him and he’s played all over the offensive 2/3 of the field this year and last. He’s played up top as an out and out forward, hes played as a withdrawn forward, as an attacking mid and as an outside midfielder. What you call him is irrelevant, its more about what his responsibilities/expectation are.

110. Brent McD says:

Finally a defender with some speed. That starting back line of Boca/DeMerit/Gooch/Spector is wayyyy tooooo slooooooowwwwww

111. patrick says:

how quickly we forget who gooch was before he hurt his knee. Not sure if you’re a youngster or what, but Gooch wa s a dominant defender on a champions league team for numerous years before he hurt his knee. He’s never been a great distributor of the ball, nor have we really asked him to be. He can (and has) shut down some of the best forwards we’ve played against (think back to the confeds cup) and was voted onto the belgian league’s best XI twice, and was ALSO named best foreign player in that league.

Gooch played awful last night theres no question, but he’s been one of our most consistent and best performers since he came onto the picture in 2005and doesnt need blackmail to make the team.