Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

Dortmund (Reuters)

Borussia Dortmund currently holds a seemingly unsurmountable 11-point lead atop the German Bundesliga, but Bayern Munich will try to cut into that lead when the German powers clash today in one of the weekend's top matches.

Dortmund has been one of the most dominant teams in Europe this season, riding a team loaded with young stars who don't have the big names that their Bayern counterparts boast, but a stingy defense, dynamic attack and brutal consistency has allowed the club to build its double-digit lead. Bayern has seen the returns of Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben, but will still find it difficult to overcome a 13-point deficit. If Bayern is to make that turnaround, it must win today.

Today's schedule features several intriguing matches, including a potential Michael Bradley-Jermaine Jones battle when Aston Villa takes on Blackburn, as well as Mallorca taking on a Xavi-less Barcelona side.

If you will be watching today's action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Today's TV Schedule is after the jump):

TODAY'S SOCCER ON TV

7:45am- Fox Soccer Plus- Swansea City vs. Leeds United

9:30am- ESPN3.com- Schalke 04 vs. Nuremberg

10am- Fox Soccer Channel- Wigan vs. Manchester United

10am- Fox Soccer Plus- Everton vs. Sunderland

10am- FoxSoccer.tv- Aston Villa vs. Blackburn Rovers

10am- FoxSoccer.tv- Newcastle vs. Bolton

10am- FoxSoccer.tv- Wolverhampton vs. Blackpool

Noon- Fox Soccer Channel- Aston Villa vs. Blackburn (Delayed)

Noon- Fox Soccer Plus- Wolverhampton vs. Blackpool

Noon- FoxSoccer.tv- Wigan vs. Manchester United (Delayed)

Noon- GolTV- Atletico Madrid vs. Sevilla

Noon- DirecTV- Sporting Gijon vs. Real Zaragoza

Noon- DirecTV- Espanyol vs. Real Sociedad

1pm- FoxSoccer.tv- Arles vs. Brest

1pm- FoxSoccer.tv- Monaco vs. Caen

1pm- FoxSoccer.tv- Stade Rennes vs. Lens

1pm- FoxSoccer.tv- Saint Etienne vs. Nice

1pm- FoxSoccer.tv- Sochaux vs. Montpelier

1pm- FoxSoccer.tv- Valenciennes vs. Lorient

2pm- ESPN3.com- Mallorca vs. Barcelona

2pm- GolTV- Bayern Munich vs. Borussia Dortmund (Delayed)

2:45pm- Fox Soccer Channel- Juventus vs. Bologna

3pm- FoxSoccer.tv- Bordeaux vs. Auxerre

3:15pm- ESPN3.com- SC Olhanense vs. FC Porto

4pm- GolTV- Deportivo La Coruna vs. Real Madrid

5pm- Fox Soccer Channel- Newcastle vs. Bolton (Delayed)

6pm- Azteca America- Jaguares vs. Chivas Guadalajara

6pm- Univision- Queretaro vs. Cruz Azul

6:15pm- GolTV- Nacional de Medellin vs. Millonarios

8pm- Telefutura- Pachuca vs. San Luis

8pm- Telemundo- Tigres vs. Puebla

10pm- Telefutura- Atlas vs. Monterrey (Delayed)

This entry was posted in Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

175 Responses to Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

1. jonk says:

Mikey on the bench as Pires gets the start in the center of midfield for Villa.

2. Mike says:

Not a good sign when Pires is getting a start ahead of you….not at this stage in his career anyway. Well, I guess the hope would be that he would come on as a sub seeing as how Pires is bound to wear down…however, it wouldn’t surprise me if Petrov came in as that sub.

3. Edwin in Los Angeles says:

Bradley has to try to stick it out and fight thru the depth chart or move to say Everton? or even Fulham?

Somewhere? But we’ll see what happens. Anyone watching the Shalke 04 v Nurmeberg match with Timothy Chandler?

4. VH1's I Love the Chicago Fire says:

Rooney should be suspended. That was just plain dirty and completely inappropriate.

5. Michael Thomas says:

Not sure how Rooney wasn’t given a straight red card for that, it was clearly intentional.

6. jonk says:

Pires not getting much love from the commentators. They’re calling him out for being unable to cope with the speed and intensity of the game and wondering why he’s on instead of Bradley or Petrov.

7. donttreadonme says:

So question…since Jones has signed with Blackburn I have watched him closely…I haven’t been impressed, not like I was at the US/Poland game last year, and I guess Im wondering what you all think. Is it him, or his team? There seems to be no flow in the middle for Blackburn.

8. RedLine55 says:

CHICHARITO! 1-0 United. A typically fantastic tap in finish from the little mexican!
    Good game so far, Wigan with their share of good chances, as well.

9. jonk says:

This is the first club game I’ve seen him in, but you do realize he’s not so much a midfield orchestrator as an enforcer and defensive stopgap, so flow in the middle isn’t really his responsibility.

10. Adrian says:

Rooney is then involved in a build up. Unites should be a man down. Not sure how you’re allowed to throw an elbow to the backbof someones head, off ball, and get away with not even a foul.

11. Michael Thomas says:

Like most United games, I think it’s been scarred already by the lack of a straight red card to Rooney.

12. Dank says:

He’s very good defensively, but yeah, no offensive contributions at all. In fairness, I think at least part is the Blackburn system, which doesn’t have much emphasis on possession.

13. dman says:

anyone nervous about chicharito at the gold cup?

also considering the fact he was the fastest player (in one burst of speed) at the world cup

.maybe gooch will put him on his arse

14. RedLine55 says:

It was a peculiar incident, no doubt, since I didn’t see anything that would have provoked it. Maybe they’ll be some retroactive punishment from the FA.
    Either way, it’s been a pretty entertaining match so far.

15. Adrian says:

Agreed. It is difficult to look past. I just wish the commentators woudld be less biased. I just want to watch soccer, not listen to these men throw themselves all over united like drunken prom girls.

16. RedLine55 says:

Hey now, what’s your problem with drunken prom girls?!?! ha

17. Mike says:

Yeah, I think his responsibilities at Blackburn are almost solely defensive…at least from what I have seen. Another yellow card. He picks up cards at an astounding pace.

18. Dank says:

All streams on atdhe are down :(

19. ko'd says:

Heck no. Wanna know why? Two words: “Chris Wondolowski”. Tit for tat.

20. jonk says:

Villa forced to make a sub as their LB goes out due to injury. Interestingly, a central midfielder (Delph) comes in as the replacement. Hopefully that forced sub doesn’t keep Bradley out of the game.

21. Artie says:

I think Adrian’s problem is these prom girls are throwing themselves at United, not him. Not that I blame him…

22. jonk says:

Sturridge is absolutely on fire for Bolton. Scores his 4th goal in 4 games.

23. owheezyo says:

Sturridge is in ridiculous form for Bolton

24. RedLine55 says:

I’m watching 2 right now. Try .fm if you’re not trying already.

25. elgringorico says:

Really hope Mikey gets in the game in the 2nd half. Do you think he’s just not impressing in training? Why spend all the monies to bring a guy over then not play him?

26. Doc says:

Beckford brace

27. jonk says:

Villa is really making Paul Robinson work the past few minutes. Pires firing a strike right at him and then Young with a long range blast.

28. Michael Thomas says:

Judging by the actions of Houllier, Bradley is somewhere around 3rd or 4th string in the midfield.

Not the best situation at the moment.

29. Kol says:

Its the coach Owen Coyle who gives the players the confidence to go out and play their game. he’s going to the top very soon.

30. jonk says:

I want to see him play, too, but you know, they’re spending monies on all the guys on the team and he’s only been there a few weeks.

31. ko'd says:

Prediction: Michael Bradley will eventually fight his way into the Aston Villa line-up as a starter. It may just take time.

Bradley is one of the most competitive, intense Americans I have seen play soccer. If he doesn’t get the starting job right off the bat, he’ll fight for it and will get it eventually.

OBTW–if my prediction is wrong, I’ll even get on the “Houllier hates Americans” bandwagon, as ridiculous as that would be (considering Houllier SIGNED Bradley on loan).

32. Michael Thomas says:

You know that sometimes you cannot “will” your way beyond what your talents allow.

If he’s not good enough, he’s not good enough.

33. ko'd says:

Fair enough. But I think he is good enough. We can agree to disagree on that point, if you like.

34. EricJohnson says:

The commentators referred to ManU as the champions after Hernandez’s goal… C’mon, can they at least try to mask their bias?

35. elgringorico says:

These AV midfielders attack like maniacs, as much as I MB’s ferociousness, I dont know if he can attack at the same rate. But at least give him a shot!

36. Michael Thomas says:

I dislike Houllier as much as the next guy, but I’m guessing Bradley isn’t panning out in practice as expected.

I have to say that his appearance near the end of last week’s game did not help his cause.

37. EricJohnson says:

Regardless of the fee paid, if you are american in the prem, you have to sit and wait for injuries to impress. Dempsey was once again relegated to the bench at the beginning of the year with the new manager, only to become the best player on the team.

38. Michael Thomas says:

I’m glad to see that the half time guys agree about Rooney and made a point to go back and talk about it.

What a dirty, dirty play.

39. ko'd says:

Neither of us can probably speak much to how Bradley is practicing, so we don’t know what is up. I hate to use the “settling in” excuse, but it is possible that he is struggling a little bit to understand Villa’s structure/theory on the field or to link up with unfamiliar players. I am not saying that is the reason, just examining all possibilities.

I didn’t see his appearance last game, but I would be very wary up judging his potential in the premiership based on 25 minutes or so. I could never dream of having the talent to suit up for a non-conference team in England, but I am pretty sure I would have been vomiting on the sidelines before I went into my first game for Aston Villa. Maybe nerves?

Not making excuses. I just think Bradley is good enough to play for a lot of great European teams and I am wondering out loud the reasons he has not slid into the Aston Villa line-up right away.

40. Jordan says:

Chandler is almost had an assist, just needed a better finish. Chandler has alot of pace

41. Michael Thomas says:

Well, he was bought for some reason, let’s hope it wasn’t something outrageous like Houllier subjugating American players.

42. away goals says:

Instead of houllier harboring some self-destructive american bias, isn’t it possible that bradley just hasn’t established himself yet?

No, it’s probably a conspiracy. Holden and jones had the same problem when they arrived at their respective clubs.

43. beckster says:

Is this Guzan’s last game at Hull? I thought they were supposed to decide yesterday as to whether they will extend loan. Any news? So far scoreless.

44. Michael Thomas says:

lol I caught that too

The older man just makes me nauseous.

45. Neal says:

In other news, EJ couldn’t even crack the starting 11 for preston..MLS is his best option at this point…sad for someone with his potential

46. John1@yahoo.com says:

No, not at all nervous.

47. ko'd says:

Not purchased, yet. Just the obligations relating to the loan. I can’t imagine Houllier hates Americans enough (or cares about the nationality enough) to snap up American players on loan just to sit them on the bench. Not sure management would be super cool with that.

Houllier’s first job is to win; or he will lose his job. I have trouble believing he would do too much to submarine himself. But who knows?

48. Michael Thomas says:

Nani is the worst teammate. Sure he racks up goals, but look at the way his teammates respond to him! They hate him.

He is Ronaldo 2.0

49. fischy says:

I hate to say I told y’all so, but I did, VIlla was the wrong team for Bradley. He comes fairly cheaply even for a talented back-up at that level, so the signing didn’t really mean Houllier expected him to start. Villa has a good midfield — tough to crack. There were more promising places to play, like Blackburn.

50. Michael Thomas says:

You never know. Some of his decisions are just mind boggling.

51. Rob says:

If you watch towards the end of the half after Rooney got stripped off the ball, he went after the player who took the ball. Ref just talked to him again. The announcers missed that. It happened at 46min40sec of the first half.

52. fischy says:

Not watching this game, but I did see Blackburn when they were on TV a few weeks ago. In that game, I thought Jones actually did better on offense. He got to some tough 5-.50 balls and made some intelligent passes that created much of the ROvers’ offense. The announcers made a big deal about his defense, but frankly I thought he was a little weak — perhaps out of shape, as he played it soft, rarely actually challenging anyone with the ball.

If you guys are looking for a great player there — he’s not. That’s why Schalke were happy to rid of him. Schalke was a much better team last year, when Jones sat out the whole season. As for those yellow cars — it really is amazing.

53. ko'd says:

I agree there. But he may just be a bad manager. If I recall correctly, he has had a falling out with the management of a lot of his former clubs.

54. Michael Thomas says:

I agree with fischy, I don’t see Bradley starting at any point.

Judging by Houllier’s actions, he considers Bradley as nothing more than a 2nd/3rd string backup.

55. Eric says:

Minus about 25 goals

56. Rob says:

Why would he buy Bradley, then purposely bench him? What a laugh some on these boards are!

Maybe Bradley hasn’t shown well in practice….. No he is way too good for that, must be anti-americanism.

57. patrick says:

2.0 would imply hes better, or more improved than ronaldo. He’s a poor man’s ronaldo who isn’t nearly as reliable as ronaldo is. Yu either get a game where he’s burning everyone down the side and scoring goals, or game like today where he does just about nothing.

58. Michael Thomas says:

I didn’t see that, I must have been making breakfast.

Was it another ejection worthy offense? United gets away with the most ridiculous things.

59. Michael Thomas says:

The “buy him to bench him” part was sarcasm.

60. Rob says:

And sorry Michael I don’t mean “you” specifically, just a general statement

61. Rob says:

Right see below… Posted at the same time.

62. Michael Thomas says:

Wigan has a goal disallowed for what looked like a poor offside decision.

63. Rob says:

He ran over and pulled on the players jersey then got into a shoving match

64. Michael Thomas says:

That is exactly what I am talking about with the commentators and their ridiculous bias.

The Wigan player comes in late but is trying to slow himself down and clips Evra, and the commentator thinks that Rooney is now excused for throwing an elbow into the back of someone’s head, off ball.

Sickening.

65. Fred says:

I watched the second half of the match. Chandler looked good. I’ve never seen him play before. He’s big for a right back, but he seems to have speed too.

66. Michael Thomas says:

No problems, interpreting posts on here is always a difficult task.

67. Michael Thomas says:

Of course he did. :(

He belongs in an anger management clinic, not on the pitch.

68. Rob says:

Well we all know that most commentators ‘favor’ the big four, and their beloved English players (wether they deserve the praise or not). So IMO no big surprise

69. EricJohnson says:

Don’t think it’s a conspiracy, and Jones started right off the bat. Holden got in pretty quickly based on his age. And btw, neither are American born.

70. JC says:

Hannover scored in the 89 minute to win 1-0. They can move up to 3rd depending on the outcome of the Dortmund-Bayern game.

71. Ed says:

WAY too early to say that. This is what, the 2nd game he’s been available for AV?

72. Michael Thomas says:

Agreed.

I want to hear someone pull for Wigan. They play some beautiful soccer.

It’s just really frustrating to listen to these jagoffs, and I have to vent.

73. RedLine55 says:

Beautiful 1-2 from Rooney to Chicharito and it’s another one for the Mexican!! 2-0 United.

74. Rob says:

Wow no chance of a hat-trick for Hernandez… Too bad

75. elgringorico says:

and here comes Petrov. No MB at all vs Blackburn has got to mean no MB vs City, eh.

76. Michael Thomas says:

Second game and he has actually DROPPED on the depth chart.

He came on a sub in the last game and did not impress. He is now apparently the 3rd or even 4th string midfielder for all we know.

77. Joe says:

Petrov on for Pires. Bradley is not to be used today.

78. Adrian says:

Petrov on in the midfield.

Bradley is apparently the 4th string option. This is not good for him at all, he is dropping in the depth chart.

79. beckster says:

I really enjoy the way Wolves play and as they score their third, they are out of the relegation zone for at least a few minutes. Well deserved.

80. timmytwoshoezzz says:

Ge, good thing MB didn’t make that move to Turkey. This way we get to watch him sit on the bench

81. seth says:

If bradley isn’t getting playing time with villa, was this move worth it?

82. Rob says:

Lol I know what you mean. My favorite posts are the ones that declare Bradley is being benched for being American. Then those same people talk about how bad Jones is, not knowing much about him or Bundesliga. Just cracks me up.

83. Ed says:

Hard to impress in 20 mins.. It’s not like he played poorly. I just think it’s premature to start calling this a bad move or to say he’s not good enough, give it a couple more weeks before making a judgement. Have faith in our boys!!

84. RedLine55 says:

And the Roooonster with a little tap in makes it 3-0 United. 3 points today, wild week ahead.

85. Adrian says:

Wild week indeed RedLine

It will be even more wild when Rooney is suspended for 3 games.

86. Zach says:

I wonder what club you support? lol

87. RedLine55 says:

And FABIO with a goal! Comes in for nani and notches one! 4-0

88. Zach says:

Zing!! *Fingers crossed*

89. JoeD says:

Gotta say it’s pretty pathetic hearing some so-called American fans sit here and practically gloat at Bradley sitting the bench. It’s just his second game available and people are already dropping “I told you so” Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Bradley didn’t start right away at Heerenveen or at Moenchengladbach. Instead of gloating because you hate the kid for no good reason how about supporting the kid? Or if you can’t do that, how about just shutting up and sparing us the crap?

90. away goals says:

Yeah I guess holden, jones, and howard would be americans who weren’t victims of this deep-seated anti-usa bias.

But all the rest of them, especially the ones born in the states, have to sit on the bench as inferior non-americans are favored.

Sorry man, your last sentence sounds like even more ridiculous conspiracy stuff.

91. Rob says:

Don’t worry he will get his playing time in the gold cup.

And I would be willing to bet he will get at least a few games under his belt at AV. Will he be a starter, probably not.

92. Edwin in Los Angeles says:

Well guys don’t worry, looks like Mochengladback will be relegated, so he WILL be sold.

I am going to be the 1st to say it though, no matter what, if Bradley can’t get any minutes in the next 3 weeks ending in 3/6, 3/13 & 3/20 in which Aston Villa have 3 games. 2 EPL matches and Wednesday’s FA Cup match vs Manchester City is what there is between now and the FIFA fixture date.

But he will STILL start and play EVERY minute of the friendly vs Argentina and I wouldn’t be surprised if he played it all vs Paraguay as well. Not saying he’s not worthy of it, but it would be nice to see a different pairing like Jones & Edu, or Jones & Holden or even Edu & Holden, hell now that he’s getting time with Pachuca how about good ol’ Torres and Jones? Seems perfect to complement both Jones and Holden above them and in between Landon and Clint?

But nope, we’ll see him play 90-180 minutes!

After that he has 8 matches, 5 in April and 3 in May. Lets see if he can average 25 or even 20 per match in those 8, if he doesn’t and plays very little he’ll still be uncontested for the starting spot, just saying?

93. Scott A says:

Patience, patience.
    Although Turkey would have been fine too.

94. Rob says:

Wow someone gets touchy by other opinions…. I don’t see anyone gloating that he is on the bench. Some people just had a feeling he would not be a starter.

And I hope you post the same about Adu, EJ, Jozy

95. RedLine55 says:

haha, and it’s on TV and I’ve felt very “update-y” this morning

96. Happy Camper says:

Is Saturday before Sunday? Does a day have 24 hrs? Chicharito playing means Chicharito scoring. STOP the hate. Say Chicharito instead.

HC

97. Rob says:

Get ready to be flamed….. Per other times people dared to make similar comments

98. Adrian says:

Agreed.

Bradley has not played in almost a month. If he doesn’t see minutes until the next FIFA date, it would be quite the hypocritical decision to play him, let alone start him.

Personally, I think our line up should be Edu and Jones with Holden sitting in front with Dempsey and Donovan on the wings.

99. Adrian says:

Haha

The man-love on this website for Michael Bradley is only eclipsed by the collective orgasm over Charlie Davies.

100. Eric says:

Alright so that didnt go as planned. Jones and company lose 4-1 and Mikey doesnt get off the bench. Idk which one would be considered worse.

101. away goals says:

Maybe some folk are gloating, but others are just pointing out the ridiculousness of the “americans get no love abroad” suggestions attached to any american who doesn’t make a starting XI.

That kind of complaining embarrasses american soccer fans.

For the record I like bradley a lot and was really looking forward to him going against jones. Hope to see him against holden in a week.

102. Ed says:

I get the same vibe too. It’s like their glad Bradley sits for the sake of saying ‘told you so”. It’s totally gay

103. Ping pong says:

2 goals of hernandez 1 Rooney 1 da silva

104. Playmaker says:

Dream on. Petrov and Makoun along with Reo-Coker would play first before he sees the pitch.

105. patrick says:

I would agree with you if either Edu or Jones were having a great season, or even starting and playing consistently, I would agree with you. However, as it stand right now bradley has 17 starts in bundesliga and 2 subs appearances. Edu has 13 and 7, and J Jones has a total of 14 starts with no subs between schalke and blackburn. He also hasn’t been playing as well as he can while at Blackburn which must be considered. They’ve all got about the same amount of PT this year (bradley probably has the most minutes) and bradley’s production is a bit better.

The point I’m trying to make is that no one is staking a claim for the position, and as the incumbent, bradley holds the inside track. He’ll get some starts and appearances and will probably go into the FIFA dates with as much PT as the other 2 guys. If he doesn’t see the field between now and the Argentina game? Well then he shouldn’t start.

106. RedLine55 says:

yeah, you’d think so… but nothing’s really for sure with the FA. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no suspension.

107. Edwin in Los Angeles says:

It took him 4 games so about a month or a month and a half into the season for him to break the line up finally and that occurred due to a pre-game injury, then 2 games after that he was not used, and after that he pretty much started every game in the Bundesliga but like 2 where he was a sub I believe.

He took about 6 games & weeks of training with the 1st team to claim the starting spot. But how long should it take him now? He’s a much more mature and experienced player having helped his team stay away from relegation twice and playing in both a WC and Confeds Cup. How long till we worry?

For whatever reason he couldn’t play vs Fulham I still think if he can’t beat the 3rd or even 4th guys in center mid there’s something to worry, in 3 weeks it will have been almost as much as the time he needed in Germany to fit in, but we play Argentina, can we really expect him to start with no questions asked?

108. FulhamPete says:

I think we need our best players on the field, and that includes Bradley.

Because Bob loves a 4-4-2…
    Jozy/Dempsey
    Holden/Jones/Bradley/Donovan
    Boca/Edu/Gooch/(Spector or Dolo)
    Howard

Best players on the pitch. Sub in the young’uns for experience as the game progresses.

109. Ed says:

I’m a MB fan (like, shirtless pics of him all over my room, sleep in his jersey, spank it to the WC goal, etc) but it’s perfectly legitimate to say he shouldn’t start the friendlies if he ain’t playing at Villa.

110. This Guy says:

Hate, Hate, Hate!
    out of jealousy as always.

111. Football Playmaker says:

You must be so biased or know nothing about football to compare Chicharito to some MLS striker that nobody ever heard of. What a load of arrogance and ignorance to even mention both players in the same breathe. Chicharito is the best player from CONCACAF at the moment, you might not like it but you can’t do anything about it. To say he won’t do anything in Gold Cup when he scored two goals in the World Cup shows you are ignorant. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

112. Edwin in Los Angeles says:

He doesn’t just get some starts, he gets EVERY MINUTE THERE IS, no matter the circumstances a friendly where we can see someone else, a Qualifier when he was in the dog house at Mochengladback because he was being benched by the Mgr due to discipline or fighting with coach (See August & September of 09 when Torres got NO minutes at Azteca where he’s used to playing and barely 15 in Salt Lake when we needed more creativity or at Trinidad, Bradley was MIA in all 3 of those games)

Or if people are simply in better form. Edu has also played in Champions League and Europa, don’t forget I’m pretty sure he has at least 4 starts in those 2 tournaments so that pretty much gets him more than enough minutes to pass over Bradley, and vs Man U and Valencia too! And Sporting Crystal.

Not saying it’s a problem, yet! But it looks like he won’t see a start vs City and the other 2 games? Well if he doesn’t see time I don’t know how he plays 90 or 180 mintues in NY & Nashville?

113. This Guy says:

Which da Silva?
    That’s why they go by their first names…Fabio and Rafael

114. Ed says:

Haha WOW. You have got to be kidding me.. Sarcasm? What a hateful and pathetic post.

115. Edwin in Los Angeles says:

I’m not sure why everybody thinks Dempsey can just be forward? He is much more effective when he’s moved up there as the game progresses for fresher legs, like in June of 09 at the Confederations Cup when Jozy or Davies would come out or Casey and he would move up and Feilhaber would take the wing?

Does he really play UP TOP at Fulham? I know he’s been scoring a lot this year and already broke his EPL record and needs 1 to move past McBride as highest scoring American in EPL, and he’ll even hold my theory true that he’ll score 12 (Damn him for not making that PK vs Chelsea lol)

But it seems to me he just plays LM for Fulham all the time and drifts centrally or cuts in? Donovan and him on the wings to cut and overlap with Holden and a Combination of Edu/Jones/Bradley and even Torres are our best bets. Feilhaber is our Super sub until one of the forwards does the same?

116. away goals says:

Yes, I must be in absolute fantasyland to even hope that bradley would play saturday.

Or maybe makoun will be serving the third match of his suspension, making it very unlikely that he starts ahead of anybody.

And perhaps houllier won’t want to have reo-coker play 3 matches in 7 days.

I don’t know, I’m just spitballin over here.

117. Zach says:

hahah I literally laughed at loud at this comment

118. Football Playmaker says:

Lets give credit where and when it is due. This Mexican is playing great in his first season. He is also scoring goals. He scored twice in the World Cup against top oppositions, I don’t expect anything less in the Gold Cup a competition smaller than the World Cup. Also nine goals so far in 17 appearances (10 as a sub) is pretty impressive in your first season as a United player. He has scored crucial goals and winners for United Gold Cup won’t be any different.

119. Hokie_Futbol says:

There will be zero suspension. If he wasn’t punished by the ref, the FA won’t do a thing. Never have before. Rooney is the man. Quit the hate.

120. ex_sweeper says:

Really bad week for Ryan Nelsen. First his hometown gets destroyed by an earthquake then he gets red-carded. Feel for the guy. Maybe they’ll let him fly home if he isn’t playing.

121. FulhamPete says:

Does Deuce play up top for Fulham at the moment? No. But that’s because Hughes plays HIS best players when he can…and that means Dembele, AJ, Zamora play up top when they’re available, moving Dempsey where he can hook up with them. This is NOT to say that Deuce isn’t at LEAST as good as those guys at THEIR job. It means that Dembele, AJ and Zamora are better up top than the middies that get put on when Deuce has to play up top.

Deuce has turned himself into a F/RM, and a good one at that.

My argument is to put our best players on the pitch, and that means, in order to get Jones, AND Bradley, AND Edu on the field, Demps moves up top, and Holden plays on the wing.

Perhaps then a 4-5-1:
    Jozy
    Holden/Deuce/Donovan
    Jones/Bradley
    Boca/Edu/Gooch/Dolo

Subs: Feilhaber, Agudelo, Bunbury/Mwanga?

Mentioning Torres, however, as a ‘best bet’ unfortunately tends to discredit the rest of your reasoned argument.

122. RedLine55 says:

My goodness, this Dortmund – Munich game is awwwwesome so far! I won’t post the scores because it’s delayed on GolTV at 1, but I highly suggest checking it out. 20 min in so far.

123. Playmaker says:

Yeah stop spitballin. I thought Makoun was back next game. When you wake up let me know. I can bet on it you were one of the dreamers saying Bradley would start when Makoun was sent off against Blackpool. Reo-Coker is a senior player at Villa and should play against Bolton. When Makoun returns he will take Nigel’s spot. No matter how much the comments from fans or writers on this blog try to write Bradley into a starting lineup, if he is not good enough he wont start and you stay disappointed with your “Houllier hates Americans!!” comments. So pathetic to even go there.

124. away goals says:

easy there, fella

(backs away slowly)

125. Louis Z says:

In all fairness, Blackburn is not a good possesion team,I can see JJ getting a little frustrated with the flow (or lack of) of the game. Interesting if he is defensive mid, he is playing up on top alot, for him to do that he better have a team that can hold the ball which Blackburn can’t.

126. Playmaker says:

Sure it was sarcasm. Yeah I was pathetic. Just give credit where it’s due. What’s the need for sarcasm? Would you do that if it was a question about an American player we like? I’m not even Mexican, but the little pea is playing good football. That was simple to say.

127. Tyrone says:

You can give him credit. But we can poke fun too.

128. Louis Z says:

Your comment can also be taken as arrogant. Opinions are opinions.

129. Playmaker says:

That was actually funny not in a lol but really funny. I want to see American players play, but coaches don’t hate them. It took forever for European players to make a name in the NBA and even now if they don’t cut it a lil bit, they’re gone. There is nothing wrong with proving yourself, but entitlement has not place in sports. So when all these writers say oh this guy should start, I ask based on what? The coach never said he would.

130. seth says:

He needs to be starting. He was starting in Germany so why would he transfer to a bigger team if he’s not going to play. Starting in germany > riding the bench in england

131. Edwin in Los Angeles says:

Sorry you discredit my whole arugment but you might want to re-read my comment I said a combination of Jones/Edu/Bradley and even Torres is our best bet.

MEANING: the 2 central Mids, which in my plan, and I think everyone’s opinion, are both holding or defensive type of mids if you will

The obvious thing is we run a 4-2-3-1

And guess what all the guys you said would be on there with the exception of Edu, which is not a lock at CB, maybe but not sure?

The point is in a 4-2-3-1 Jozy is the lone Forward, Holden is the Center Attacking Midfielder in between the flanking and wing playing Donovan and Dempsey.

Then behind LD, Deuce & Holden you put Jones & Bradley or Jones & Edu or Jones and Torres.

I think Edu might get on the field as a CB if Bob feels he can deal with say a Guatemala or El Salvador? But for countries like Honduras & Costa Rica and even Mexico he might go with a guy like Goodsen or Ream? Vs teams like Jamaica with speed Edu might be the best option?

Bradley is not getting minutes and has played maybe 45 minutes since December? I can almost bet he won’t play vs City, at least not start and if he does it won’t be much based on the way he wasn’t even given time when game was secured today?

2 EPL games after that, if he gets little time, say not more than 20-35 mintues combined I don’t see how we don’t give Edu a shot to play alonside Jones or Torres some sub minutes vs Argentina & Paraguay?

132. timmytwoshoezzz says:

not me. I want Bradley to play. Remember the WC when Onyewu, Clark, Altidore, and company came in with little to no minutes at the club level in the lead up, and recall how well they played in the tourney? I don’t want to Gold cup to be a repeat.

That said, I was happier when he was rumored to go to Turkey because I knew he would be playing. Sitting on the bench watching Reo-Coker and Pires doesn’t help Bradley, but the fact that he would be sitting there was certainly predictable.

133. RK says:

Pires can’t go 90, at least.

134. This Guy says:

Bundesliga is underrated when it comes to viewing.

135. away goals says:

If you scroll up you’d see that I agree with you on the whole anti-american bias bit. It’s a total fabrication.

And when bradley’s loan went through and everyone assumed he would start immediately (because why else would villa take on his wages?), I suggested it was at least possible he was just cheap cover. Makoun and petrov were carrying minor injuries at the time.

I won’t be surprised if he remains in a bench role, but it’s not unthinkable that he would get a start in a congested fixture week while makoun is suspended.

136. MiamiAl says:

Crazy game so far…

137. Playmaker says:

So it is my opinion that Chicharito is have a great season? Or a fact that he is the best CONCACAF player at the moment.

138. Nick says:

I’m guessing you were trying to make us laugh, if so, well done sir.

139. Adrian says:

RedLine55

Did you by any odd stretch of the imagination used to play the video game, Counter Strike?

140. Predicto says:

Bocanegra is getting forward much more than normal for Saint-Etienne vs Nice tonight.

141. Lawrence says:

Everyone should remember that Michael Thomas is the guy who consistently is negative about M. Bradley and looks for every opportunity to put him down. And never brings anything smart to the conversation or conceeds anything good about MB90.

Michael Thomas is just a Bradley hater.

142. RedLine55 says:

No, but I know about it, and been asked that before, ha. I hope it brings back good memories!

143. RedLine55 says:

yeah agreed, I like Bundesliga. I think they just took that 4th CL spot over Serie A, right? It’s been in the making for a while, but I’m pretty sure it’s official now, with Napoli’s exit from Europa this week. Looking for a link now…

144. Mike says:

Robben needs to stop with that nonsense. Really detracts from him as a player.

145. Mike says:

What makes everyone here think that Americans shouldn’t have to fight for roster spots and playing time? Bradley hasn’t been with the team very long, let him earn his place.

146. Ping pong says:

Fabio the smaller one.

147. Mike says:

Try not to overreact, considering it is literally his 2nd game available.

148. Rob says:

Umm Altidore played every game at the end for Hull City, aside from the last game due to Red Card suspension.

As for Clark I agree, seeing as how deep the US is at mid. (to be fair Holden and Jones were injured).

Onyewu got the start because we didnt have a deep pool at center back.

149. BBFANCLUB says:

2011: So the best box to box US midfielder played today.

2009: the former best box to box US midfielder did not.

An observations that can’t be disputed.

150. Rob says:

I love Bundesliga, I find it a bit more entertaining then the EPL. Gol TV is where its at. LaLiga and Bundesliga, my two favorite Euro leagues.

151. Dale says:

Chicharomania….

152. Rob says:

I agree he needs to be starting like two other at the same position (really three others if you include Holden). My point was that all the people who Love M. Bradley shouldn’t worry as I can’t see his dad benching him.

153. CrispyST3 says:

No it’s fact that he’s having a great season, and your opinion that he’s the best in Concacaf at the moment

154. Warren says:

The fact AV won 4-0 with MB on the bench doesn’t raise his profile for sure.

but it’s early in Mike’s tenure at Villa and it could well be more of a medium-term thing, seeing as MB is young and the guys ahead of him at moment are pushing or past 30.

I never expected Mike to be an automatic starter with Villa; fact that they moved up to mid-table without playing Mike is actually good for him since there will be less pressure when he does get serious minutes in a game. Also I am guessing Mike stays and some of the older guys leave at end of season. So patience please..

155. Rob says:

I think I would stick with the 4-4-2, as the US just doesn’t look good with a 4-3-2-1 and Bradley likes is a defense first type of coach (not seeing a 4-2-3-1). I personally think a striker up top with Jozy (Bunbury, Agedelo, etc) with Donovan, Holden, Jones, Dempsey midfield (pick your fav. Back line) would be a great line up. I would live to see it, but like others have said, I don’t see Bradley benching his son… Oh well I have been wrong before.

156. Playmaker says:

Let me guess Donovan is your best player in Concacaf right? Dude the best player is based on performance; Chicharito is first followed by Dempsey based on what they are doing in the best league in the world.

157. Louis Z says:

actually I agree with both of your opinions about chicarrito, i just don’t agree that others people’s opinions should be concidered as ignorant. chicarrito is going to be a handful at the gold cup but as long as we keep him in check we should be ok. he is quick but not fast, he is only 5’9 but has good leaping ability. his biggest assest is his finishes, something a certain young american forward failed to acquire. just my 2 cents.

158. Brett says:

How are you allowed to do that? It’s as easy as wearing a Manchester United shirt.

159. ko'd says:

Thanks, Nick. And yes. It was a joke. C’mon folks. It’s Saturday. Enjoy it.

160. david says:

EJ went to the worst team possible.

161. Brett says:

I’m surprised so many people expected Bradley to come into Villa and work his way into the starting 11 so quickly.

I’ll be surprised and disappointed if he never gets his shot to go 90 with the first team, but at this point I’m not all that shocked with his situation. He has always been a careless passer and needs more time to integrate. Hopefully he manages to make an impression before he gets shipped somewhere else.

162. AshortDeparture says:

Actually that was one of the reasons he was shipped out of Liverpool pre-Benitez. Bizarre decision making, strange signings, and an overall loss of the plot. That was the reason I was unsure about his appointment, but we;ll see how he pans out. He usually starts well at a club, but he’ll go asylum on Lerner after two seasons.

163. Playmaker says:

Great point and we would hope that people can just appreciate talent.

164. AshortDeparture says:

Actually it’s because the ref took no action that he is subject to FA investigation. But they won’t do anything. At least he doesn’t cause a double break in a star player’s leg like a certain midfield enforcer I know.

165. Kol says:

Was wondering why Petrov got the start for Bolton and apparently it’s his birthday…I was going insane when Coyle wasn’t making substitutions until almost the 80th minute…usually he makes the right decisions

Having a 1 man advantage for almost half the game and the other team is showing more attacking pace than you are…you probably should’ve subbed on Mark Davies, Matty Taylor and Chung Lee all at the same time or next time freaking start them. Sometimes its bad to have such big egos on a team where you have to make your players happy, Chung Lee is a solid starter and should play every game, especially over martin petrov, he’s done.

166. Mhat says:

High strung much? Relax.

167. r.benjamin says:

I like Bradley.. He’s been the best center mid for the US no question.
    I’m glad he’s moved to Villa. I think he’ll be better for it in 13′ and beyond.

However I’m not convinced him playing for the US is the best net outcome. Not in 2010 or 2011.

I’m glad he’s in the prem also because it puts him as close to 1 v 1 with Holden and Jones..

The true question is with only spot minutes does Bradley senior still ink him in for 90 mins in the Gold Cup..? Right this minute you have to say he should be #4 on the chart.

168. fischy says:

“Totally gay”? I hope you’re a 12-year old…

169. Jerome says:

I watched it, and he looked damn good when he was playing Right Wing. Big and fast, but clearly schooled in a country that knows what it is doing (Technical and Tactical) I Think he needs to be our Right midfielder. Shoehorning Holden there does not make sense anymore.

170. Erich says:

Doubly hard to impress in 20 mins when you’re already a man down. Makoun had just seen red and they brought Bradley in to compensate.

Also, it doesn’t help that one of the men he’s competing with … Stilyan Petrov (who didn’t even start today, came in for Pires) … happens to be their regular captain. It’s going to take awhile for Bradley to slot in ahead of him.

171. GW says:

Chicharito is a fine striker and I’m sure BB is worried about him.

However is he going to have his Man U teamates setting him up in the Gold Cup? Will he have the luxury of a Man U defense behind him?

A little perspective is in order.

172. GW says:

Argentina is an exhibition game.

If Bradley doesn’t start or even play who cares?

If he’s in form and playing a lot for AV then fine, bring him in.

If he’s not then there are certainly plenty of other options to test out and he will probably need to stay in England and fight for his place.

The insane entitlement and expectations on this site are crazy. Y’all act like you’ve been sitting in on meetings after practice with Houllier and his staff. What a load of BS.

It’s a different player and a different position but notice how SAF took a lot of time to work Chicharito into Man U’s lineup; and he still does not start regularly.

Plenty of players far better than MB have taken more than 2 games to fit into EPL teams. Plus you have to take into consideration it’s an unsettled situation where Houllier has little room to experiment.

A newbie like Bradley is not going to get the same consideration that more familar options like Petrov and Pires (EPL vets) will get. If Bradley shows well in practice and maintains his normal aggressive attitude

then maybe Houllier will consider giving him some time or making him permanent.

Bradley is young and cheap, an investment for the future,unless Villa go down. If that happens things get interesting.

173. GW says:

If Dempsey is such a true striker why did Fulham miss Bobby Zamora so much? Clint has always been something of a “tweener”. He’s not a classic winger and he’s not a classic forward. He just scores a lot of goals and when he plays for the US just works his butt off all over the field.

If the US goes to a 4-5-1 or some variation of that, the “1” should be Jozy at this time not Clint. He’d be wasted there.