USA-Egypt Friendly CANCELED

AltidoreEgypt (ISIPhotos.com)

The USA-Egypt friendly scheduled for Feb. 9th in Cairo has been canceled. The unstable situation in Egypt brought on by political unrest has led to the cancellation of the friendly.

“We were excited about the opportunity to play against Egypt, but due to the current situation all parties agreed it was best to cancel the match,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “We appreciate the efforts of the Egyptian Football Association and the U.S. State Department as we worked through this situation.”

The United States will return to action in March with matches against Argentina, on March 26th in New Jersey, and Paraguay, on March 29th in Nashville, Tennessee.

The cancellation will hardly come as a surprise considering the political situation in Egypt, which would have even made moving the match a questionable option. The timing of the events in Egypt also made finding a new opponent impossible for a U.S. national team that hasn't fielded its full squad since October.

What do you think of this development? Inevitable? Wish the teams could have found somewhere else to play? Understandable given the unsettled situation in Egypt?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

93 Responses to USA-Egypt Friendly CANCELED

1. Andrew says:

Another reason to keep the revolution going. Down with Mubarak.

2. julio says:

wish they could have found a replacement, isn’t Venezuela in town against Mex? maybe a few days later or something…oh well.

3. john.q says:

usa egypt FAIL

4. tnnelson says:

i don’t see why it would be so hard to just play somewhere in Europe or elsewhere in Northern Africa

5. kevin says:

id have split my vote for inevitable and understandable given the unsettled situation in Egypt.

6. DeLarge says:

Well, there goes some valuable experience for some players.

7. William the Terror says:

aaaaah. can we get a game against someone else on that date? I know the big countries are booked, but I’ll take a minnow. French Guyana? Tierra del Fuego? Mexico?

8. Thorpinski says:

Maybe because a lot of the Egyptian players are stuck in Egypt.

9. Brokenbil says:

It’s a big bummer, would have been a good match.

10. odsum25 says:

I imagine it would have been difficult (or impossible) for the domestic based Egyptian players to leave the country.

11. Thorpinski says:

Hell even an intra squad game would work.

12. dman says:

well this sucks

13. DanO says:

Bradley should trot out the World Cup starters against the all SBI readers’ team:

Howard

Dolo-Gooch-Demerit-Boca

Dempsey-Bradley-Clark-Donovan

Altidore-Findley

vs

Guzan

Lichaj-Ream-Gonzo-Anyone but Bornstein

Holden-Edu-Jones-Torres

Bunbury-Agudelo

Gotta admit, it would be interesting…

14. julio says:

I agree even an intrasquad game would have been great. Jozy vs Omar Gonzalez, Spector vs Juan Agudelo (on the other team). Would have been fun.

15. Phil says:

It’s understandable given the unrest in the country but it’s a shame we could not show our support for Egypt by hosting the match in the USA. It would be a great way to show our support and goodwill toward the Egyptian people at such a pivotal point in their nation’s history. Offering them the opportunity to express themselves through the beautiful game would have been a wonderful gesture but I imagine the decision was made by both federations, not just the USA.

16. I JIK I RED BULLZ says:

This is sad! I hope the USMNT can pick up a game quickly. I was really looking foward of seeing Jones and Donovan playing together.

17. ga-gone says:

bummer.

18. Brad says:

Adu is first sub off the bench for the reader’s team…

19. RLW2020 says:

actually a great idea!

20. Brad says:

Is Feb 9th a Fifa date?

21. bob says:

Dang it, they better turn into a democracy after this.

22. Jon says:

Love it. that would be tight one, but I give the WC starters the slight edge cause they have our three best players: dempsey, donovan and Howard.

23. Chris says:

Wasnt going to get to see it on tv anyhow so dosent bother me. Dont have ESPN 3 either so I was screwed. It was like I wasnt going to be able to see it.

24. jon says:

still gonna have a camp or is there just nothing whatsoever?

25. bottlcaps says:

With a very important tournament on the horizon, I think that letting an international friendly date go, is a big mistake. I realize the implications of signing a “worthy” opponent at such a late date is improbable, but with about 40 days til 3/9, not impossible. I think that the USSF should realize this and that FIFA, due to the circumstances, should be able to waive some of paperwork/scheduling deadlines to make it work for the US.

I am sure that the US could dig up an opponent in Europe/Mid East at his short a date, or perhaps reschedule with another country that already has a friendly.

With a whole bunch of new players, both in the US and Europe, to evaluate before the Gold Cup and WC qualifying, it is imprudent to let a date go without trying.

26. bottlcaps says:

by wat of Eurosport:

Reading have signed Canada Under-20 captain Ethan Gage and American youngster Erik Opsahl.

link to uk.eurosport.yahoo.com

Egads!!Another American midfielder in Europe!

27. scott says:

Off topic…
    but does anyone know what the MLS announcement for tomorrow might be? any ideas or speculation?

28. vik says:

it’s not really a “camp” just a couple of days of practice and then gameday. Players head back to their clubs after the game, so it’s not really worth bringing them in for a ocuple days practice if there’s no one to play.

29. Annelid Gustator says:

A FIFA friendly date. You can see the schedule on the FIFA website.

30. Matador says:

This really Stinks !!!
    Like many… I was looking forward to see the A team playing against Egypt. Now I can only hope that the US Federation can negotiate another rival for that date. It seems highly unlikely but… we can only… HOPE !!!
    Come on Gulati… if you can pull off another rival ( at this point doesnt matter much the quality of the opponent) you will be forgiven for failing to land the WC2022 (Yeah Right JK but seriously try to make something happen)

31. BellusLudas says:

Was looking forward to it and hoping that as a sign of solidarity between our nations we could have played at a different site.

32. Annelid Gustator says:

Ha, nice. And they better play a 3-5-2!

33. Dominick says:

Speaking of scheduling…has anyone seen a date for the Gold Cup draw? I keep hearing ‘ealy february’…any exact date?

34. twhite1221 says:

The date is 2/9, not 3/9…so they only have 9 days. They should have acted sooner to have had a chance in rescheduling.

35. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

3/9? The game was set for 2/9…so it’s more like 9 days to pull a replacement and stadium location and flights and visas and, etc….off….

36. ThaDeuce says:

understandable

37. Dan says:

LB on SBI Team would clearly be Edgar Castillo.

38. bottlcaps says:

oops my bad. No way at this late date..sorry!

39. LNG says:

As soon as the protests started last week, Sunil should have been calling potential backup opponents while simultaneously monitoring the situation in Egypt. Totally understandable that this was cancelled, but something tells me Sunil was not proactive and probably made a last minute scramble for a replacement before announcing this cancellation.

I don’t think it would be a terrible idea for Bob to do a minicamp in Europe just to let our guys practice for a few days together.

(SBI-And you know he didn’t do that because? The unrest in Egypt came out of nowhere and came at an awful time for the friendly. Blame game is pretty silly at this point.)

40. Colin says:

Don Garber is gettin’ plugs!

41. Jeff Awesome says:

I am really disappointed. Was looking forward to the match since it was announced.

Maybe US Soccer should have backup plans for some of the friendlies, if they are going to schedule them in the Mideast or Africa. I mean you could schedule Israel which is a good team, but you’d want contigency plans.

42. Jebus says:

I think anyone who doesn’t understand the situation may want to do some introspection and put things in proper perspective. It’s a game, not a revolution despite what Nike would like you to believe.

43. CSD says:

They haven’t had any problems in Egypt (at least for foreigners) in like 30 years. Do you want to write in the contracts, “if you have a revolution we reserve the right to reschedule with a country not having a revolution”.

44. ZacIndy says:

A match against Catalonia would be awesome.

45. Brad says:

he was the pick before the WC, now (imho) it’s Pearce or the young kid from the Chile friendly whose name I can’t remember and don’t feel like looking up…

46. Sabo CM says:

Cancelling the match was understandable. I hope the USA can reschedule a match and convince the other federation to donate all proceeds from the match to families that lost someone during the current situation in Egypt.

47. LNG says:

Ives – I don’t know for sure whether he did or didn’t work the phones in a timely manner, but based on his track record, I just don’t get the impression that he’s on top of things. He seems to be “surprised” by events far too often, and I view him as incompetent and reactive.

I’m not blaming him for the cancellation, which was inevitable, I just doubt that he picked this situation to begin a proactive approach to his job.

48. LNG says:

I could be completely off-base; just my two cents on Sunil’s job performance in general.

49. Emerald_City_Jason says:

At the Cup festivities Garber said MLS was going to revise the playoff format (beyond adding the two extra teams) to something less screwy—you know, so we don’t have Western Conference teams representing the Eastern Conference in the final?

Unless I missed it, that announcement hasn’t been made yet. That would be the most likely topic I can think of, unless there’s a surprise DP signing or he’s ready to make some statement about the 20th team. Or one of the stragglers finally signed a jersey sponsor or made progress on a stadium location.

50. The Pikey says:

Can we really not find a European team or another African team to take Egypt’s place on short notice?

51. ZacIndy says:

Say what you want about Sunil but I’ve got to think that as soon as news hit about Egypt, Sunil was thinking about the game. After all, his job is to be thinking about US socce all of the time. Poor timing cancelled this date this and nothing else.

52. pancholama says:

Uhhhhh….Chris. News to you – ESPN.3 is on your computer, on the internet! It’s FREEE-EEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEE, eeee, eeeee, eeeee! Gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-l, golazo, azo, azo, azo, azo. Sorry got carried away. But, really man – if you missed USA v. Chile I think it is still archived on the ESPN web site at ESPN.3

ESPN also streams Bundesliga, EPL, La Liga and Serie A games live, ALL the time. It is free mon, on-line. Have at!

53. pancholama says:

Hey – I’ve heard that Jozy is going to La Liga team, Levante, also that there was a deal in the works with Boraspur from the Turkish league – wasssssupppppp? Can anyone refute or confirm, the latest Jozy transfer rumors?

54. kyle says:

ESPN3 is free based on internet provider so for some it isn’t. just FYI

55. dabull says:

Unfortunately not everybody has access to espn3. It depends on if your internet provider has the proper agreements w/ espn. Cablevision in the NJ area does not have espn3. I have to find other streams to watch the games.

56. ACS says:

Play San Marino

57. NK says:

This may already have been answered, but do the non-English transfer windows (Spain, Italy, Germany, France, etc) have a different closing time than England’s?

58. NK says:

Whoops, wrong thread

59. NF says:

These comments are quite disheatening. Whether you are for or against the revolution, a country is rioting and people are dying. Such a shame all that is getting in the way of a meaningless soccer match. I think a little perspective is in order.

60. Jay says:

I know Jamaica is having trouble scheduling an opponent for that date because they can’t host due to their national stadium being renovated. The USA host them better then nothing.

61. Jeff Awesome says:

Here’s an idea. Get two other weaker countries that have a friendly scheduled (ex: Andora and Moldova). Send like 25 players and play both of them. If it is a really weak team they will be happy to play the USA B team.

62. Jeff Awesome says:

Before anyone takes me too seriously… I am just desperate to watch the USMNT.

63. Jon says:

Yes, you are competely off-base. Your speculation that Sunil just sat on his hands, or bears any fault in any of this, are the deluded imaginings of a twisted mind. There’s massive freaking unrest in Egypt that, to my knowledge, no one predicted, and, as such, a soccer game was cancelled. Sometimes, bad/crazy things happen, and there’s no simple explanation or one person to blame.

64. Bryan says:

I’m not suprised. Yes. Absolutely. Yes.

65. Carlos says:

Uzbekistan doesn’t have a game on 2/9.
    Let’s get it done Sunil.

66. Bryan says:

I’m not suprised. Yes. Absolutely. Yes.

67. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Seriously you’re debased. How does one predict a governmental overthrow (if this is what this ends up being)? I mean had that been the case, the boys in Wall Street would have had some puts on Egyption companies and middle east stocks in general….

This close to a date, it’s next to impossible, it would take another country (Tunis next opponent?) having similar issues and a US venue.

Sunil may be a lot things, but to blame him for not planning for an eventual uprising of 10,000+ in Egypt is just a little bit too much to ask. He’s given us Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay and the Netherlands and Chile in friendly’s. I’d say that’s quite a step up from Jamaica, venezuela and Lithuania. give the guy a break.

68. shao2007 says:

Would probably be difficult for the Egyptian players to have their heads in the game for a “friendly.” These guys all have family and friends in Egypt that they’re most likely concerned about.

69. Craig says:

mexico plays against Bosnia, alongside new-ManCity wonderboy Edin Dzeko, in Atlanta

70. ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

They just got done with the Asian Cup.

71. GW says:

“LNG said in reply to LNG… I could be completely off-base”

Yeah you are. First of all when the unrest went down, no one knew or knows now how long it will go on.

If Mubarak had stepped down yesterday for example, maybe the country is back to a semblance of normality by the 9th. And maybe a game would be a welcome diversion. So they were unsure about whether they even had to cancel this game until just now.

It’s not just a question of Sunil picking up a phone and asking Portugal or Spain what are you guys doing? Do you think arranging a game is like rescheduling your dental appointment?

The reality is that by the time the unrest started it was probably already too late to get another game. Why do you think they’ve waited so long to cancel when most of us would have done it a week ago?

All they could do was hope that everything got settled quick and that isn’t happening.

Sunil’s competency can be questioned on a lot of things but the fact that you would question him about this ( especially when you aren’t privy to any inside information) says a lot more about you than it does about him.

Organic revolutions of an entire country can be so incovenient, don’t you think?

72. patrick says:

ticky tack point but, he’s a professor at Columbia, so he’s got other stuff on his mind as well.

73. Juan from L.A. says:

Before you guys laugh…Guatemala doesn’t have a friendly. Will be good to see the Camp Cupcake version 2011 guys once again against a potential GC rival. Easily make it in L.A. and you’ll have success in the box office.

74. Juan from L.A. says:

Guatemala is a minnow I know but they are GC qualifiers and would bring folks to stadiums making USSF happy.

75. Chris says:

I’m suprised a last-minute game couldn’t be scheduled. You do have the issue of finding a venue on very short notice, and selling tickets so it makes sense to cancel everything.

Egypt owes us though.

I guess a 3rd party option isn’t valid. I bet the USA/Egypt could play a game on short notice in Isreal, and tickets would sell well based on the novelty of the event.

76. patrick says:

there’s also the problem of getting players to and from the game, and issues with promotions, existing contracts, already sold tickets, revenues, etc. It’s difficult to do in 6 or 7 days.

77. Jack says:

You don’t know what state the Egyptian soccer federation is in either. If they’re located in a major city, as I’m sure they must be, I can’t imagine that rescheduling a friendly soccer game is going to be at the top of their priorities.

78. Warren says:

That’s not fair, we readers want Bedoya, or Mix as 1st sub!

And – switch Holden to cm, duh : )

79. Warren says:

u r good, made me laugh

80. Jack says:

Gulati teaches one class per semester–a huge (and, unrelated, but incredibly popular) lecture that includes a lot of guest speakers. Speaking as someone who has 1) taken his class and 2) is currently a Columbia student, he basically shows up twice a week, if that, and the TAs do the grading.

The point of this comment is that he has more than enough time to devote to US Soccer. Sorry the guy couldn’t stop the revolution and tell the Egyptian soccer federation to get itself and its team together and find another location despite the state of their country.

81. MicahK says:

I vote for a friendly with Ghana. :D

82. Jeremy says:

That’s not a half bad idea.

83. Warren says:

Well…to pat myself on back, after 1st day of protest I said on boards friendly was going to be cancelled, it was clear that things would not settle down right away.

And, even before that, after Tunisia, things were a little unsettled already in Egypt and other countries in region.

Remember people lit themselves on fire in Egypt too?

There was time to make a plan B – if Gulati/USSF was on top of things.

84. Scott A says:

Rest isn’t always a bad thing :P

85. Warren says:

And yeah I know the only teams available on short notice of a few weeks would not be top class opponents.

So it could be that USSF thought about it and decided it best just to cancel, even after considering a plan B. But that would be giving USSF benefit of the the doubt ; )

86. Warren says:

Right, that was probably the deciding issue vs a Plan B squad if we are feeling charitable – all the USMNT 1st teamers in Europe probably, secretly, are happy to get a few days off to recuperate.

87. john.q says:

seriously. i’m sure it’s not as easy as making a few phone calls.

hell first you must find a new opponent. secure a venue and a training facility nearby. get new travel tickets for players and coaching staff coming from various points across the globe. then you must promote the game enough so the ussf and new-opponent can make a PROFIT off of the game. the USA won’t be a big draw for some countries so i doubt that will happen given only a week of promo.

also if that new opponent does not have a friendly lined-up for the 9th it is because they have their reasons. their players will not be expecting a calling nor want one on short notice. many countries are coming off the asian up as well. these friendly’s are planned months in advanced for a reason.

sometimes the negativity on this site is disgusting. tough luck guys. we need to find something else to follow on a wednesday afternoon big f’in deal. if you can help the ussf secure a new opponent for the 9th call sunil and ask him for an internship.

88. john.q says:

also i agree, rest isnt always a bad thing for our guys.

89. donttreadonme says:

Sucks. Been looking foward to it since it was announced.

90. bsrumorz says:

to all authoritarian regimes:

If you want unrest/revolution in your country, just schedule a friendly with the United States, refer to USA-Iran in 2009 and USA-Egypt in 2011…..

Maybe we can schedule to play Burma, Russia, Venezuela, Bolivia and Belarus :-)

91. Mattmatumbo says:

But not North Korea?

92. oscar says:

How about playing a Club team with an open date somewhere in England ?