Sunderland lining up bid for Bradley

Michael Bradley (ISIPhotos.com)

Just days after Jermaine Jones made the move from the German Bundesliga to the English Premier League, now comes word a U.S. teammate of Jones could be joining him in the EPL.

Sunderland is lining up a transfer bid for U.S. World Cup midfielder Michael Bradley. The Black Cats are believed to be looking for a potential replacement for Lee Cattermole, who is battling a back injury and is drawing transfer interest from the likes of Liverpool, and Bradley could be just the player to solidify the midfield for Steve Bruce's side.

Bradley isn't the only midfielder on Sunderland's radar. Paraguayan midfielder Victor Caceres has also been identified as a potential defensive midfield target for the Black Cats.

Bradley is in the third year of a four-year deal with Borussia Moenchengladbach, a club currently battling in the Bundesliga relegation zone. He has been a regular starter for the German club, though he was left on the bench for the team's 1-0 win against Nuremberg on Saturday. He came on as a second-half substitute to preserve the team's lead.

What do you think of Bradley making a move to England? Like the idea of him joining Sunderland?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to Sunderland lining up bid for Bradley

1. Jared says:

2. aristophanes says:

Do you mean in this January window?

I have no doubts that Bradley will thrive in the Premier League. Sunderland is a good first stop for him.

3. scott says:

scale of 1:10, 10 being the highest, how likely is this? i dont think BM can make this move while in the midst of a relegation battle

4. Lost in Space says:

This could be a very good move for M. Bradley. I hope it goes through and he performs well in the EPL.

5. Brian D. says:

Would rather see him in a different league or stay in Germany.

6. Second City says:

If the Houllier-fiasco has taught us anything, we need our players in the right situation/manager to break in and have a chance at success.

Steve Bruce is a perfect manager for Bradley and I could see him thrive under his tutelage.

If this move actually comes about, there’s a lot to like but something tells me not to get my hopes up since M’Gladbach is fighting relegation.

Though, perhaps that’s why he came off the bench last match? I have no idea.

7. SdbransonUSA says:

I was wondering if something was up when Bradley was benched this weekend. I wonder if BM was testing the waters to see what life would be like without him in the line-up, or if he was simply in the doghouse or being rested. Regardless, I think Sunderland would be a good move, especially if he could break Asamoah Gyan’s legs in practice.

8. aristophanes says:

maybe they think it’s a lost fight already, and they may as well make some money this season if nothing else…

9. aristophanes says:

really tasteless, but I laughed.

10. DC Josh says:

Well, Bradley would have big shoes to fill if he is supposed to be Cattermole’s replacement. At least he won’t be suspended every other game. Regardless, Bradley will thrive in any situation he is put in. He is our (USA) best youngster. Also, Steve Bruce would groom him wonderfully. Sunderland are making a push for Europe in a loaded Premier League. The move would receive an A grade from myself.

11. Chris says:

I don’t see him going with ‘gladbach fighting relegation, but then again Sunderland just got a lot of cash to splash… still you would think they’d put the money into a forward.

12. Chris says:

Just curious, what makes Bruce such a great manager for baby Bradley?

13. kevin says:

Go in May. Help BMG stay in the Bundesliga and become a LEGEND there ala Kasey Keller.

but on the other hand, they want him badly, they’ll grab him now. 23 and starting CM for a top10 PL club. Brillant

14. Alex says:

I could be mistaken, but I believe Bruce played a similar position to Bradley back in his playing days, and he was quite good at it. I could be wrong about his position though. Also, he’s been Sunderland manager for a while and it doesn’t look like changing soon, and stability is a good thing for any player.

15. rasher@san.rr.com says:

Obviously you have been watching Stuart Holden
    at Bolton.

16. KenC says:

I think BM’s done for. Their back 4 and keeper are terrible. I know they get two replacements, but that’s not enough for them to stay up.

17. Nick says:

He needs out now. Take the opportunity to get settled in for half a season so he can fully bloom next season. BM is awful and deserves to get relegated.

18. Telling the Truth says:

Finally…This is SO overdue…He will blossom in England

19. Matt S says:

With Darren Bent apparently leaving the club and being a Newcastle fan I’m not very big on this move for Bradley. Sure I’d love to see him in the EPL and be able to watch him in action more but not for a team like Sunderland…

Seeing him partner up with Gyan would be interesting but this would be a case of me cheering against him at every turn.

20. aristophanes says:

why?

21. Salty Baby Tears says:

Bruce is a blue collar manager that’d respect Bradley’s skill set and work rate.

I actually agree with the opinion.

22. Dlewis says:

I would say 6, their has to be a really enticing offer from Sunderland for BM to give Bradley up now.

23. Thorpinski says:

BMG is a club that has been relegated before and is not one to panic if it happens again. If selling Bradley when the price is right and makes sense in the long run then i think we could see this deal go through.

24. SeattleStan says:

Yeah, I don’t see BM selling him now in January. Summer sure, but if they do I can’t see them not being relegated

25. Justin says:

Holden turns 26 this year. He is 2 years older than Bradley and not considered young anymore.

26. Judging Amy says:

Didn’t the coach say something like “Impossible.” when asked if the club would sell Bradley?

27. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

I think his contract is up in the Summer,meaning BMG does not get compensated on a transfer so that is why January transfer would make sense if you’re going to move him.

But I agree with you, I don’t think I pull the trigger if I’m BMG, staying up is more important (more financially lucrative) than a return on 1 player.

28. Brad says:

Victor Caceres (cass-er-res) has the nick-name “Ganso” which means “goose”. Almost no one in Paraguay refers to him as Victor. He’s a pretty good defender but not very useful going forward, and he has the tendency to make bone-head plays and fouls at important times. Bradley would have the edge for playing time over Caceres at least for now.

29. Brad says:

also, Caceres has never played outside of Paraguay. Most Pyans make the jump to the Argentine, Mexican, Chilean, Brazilian leagues before getting signed by an European club. Signing El Ganso directly from PY is kind of risky…

30. Josh D says:

Bruce never played like Bradley.

It comes down to his appreciation for hard workers and he has a team that allows youngsters to get quality playing time. Bradley is still “young” and as a newcomer to the league that “young” title would carry pressure. Bruce would handle that well.

Also I think Sunderland play a gritty enough game to suite Bradley – it is not a team built on elegance.

31. Aaron in StL says:

Could be the case. It’s not like they’re just in a “relegation battle”… they are dead last. Probably figure they might be able to squeeze out a few more Euros this year as opposed to waiting.

Trying to catch up with a new team midseason is tough to do though. I imagine if he isn’t starting in the first game or two people will freak out on here

32. Connor Walsh says:

I thought I read somewhere that BMs manager said “we aren’t going to even listen to offers” or something like that. It could just be word play. But like someone above said, its more financially important to stay up than to get a few million pounds and drop to the 2 Bundesliga. I say this happens in June, but not January.

33. Jack says:

I would REALLY like to see him settled in a new club this January, and Sunderland seems like it would be a great fit.

There’s definitely something odd going on with his position at BM, considering the fact that he was benched for much of their last game. Even though they’re battling relegation, they’re not going to get anything for him over the summer, when his contract ends and they most likely will not be in a position to renew it. Bradley deserves (and needs) to be in a better club, and I think that playing time in the EPL would knock off a few of the rough edges to his playing.

34. Frankie Ballz says:

I just turned 25. Is that the cutoff for not being young anymore? Bradley has the maturity/seriousness of a 50 year old man.

35. Union says:

agreed

36. Union says:

now thats just a stupid agrument

37. Union says:

helpful comments

38. anon says:

26 is pretty old for a young player.

Obviously by American human longevity standards, it’s pretty young.

39. Brad says:

*Unrelated Question*
    Are the USA and Argentina teams on March 26th going to be the first teams? It’s a open Fifa date, and they are supposed to be warm-ups for their respective regional tourneys, but I just wanted to ask if anyone knows anything. Gracias…

40. anon says:

Or it could be pre-transfer gamesmanship–with a lot of credibility since they’re in a relegation battle.

41. Brett says:

I think if you look at the minutes he has played over the course of the year, he was probably due for a rest.

Personally, I worry about Bradley in the Prem, mainly as it pertains to his distribution and recklessness when defending. I think the best move for him, and for our NT future, would be to Serie A. The Prem would be better for him in terms of scoring goals, but playing in Italy would greatly improve his tactical passing and vision.

That said… I would be surprised to see Moenchengladbach let him go. Yes, he leaves on a free transfer after this season… but staying in the Bundesliga is more important than getting a modest return on Bradley. It’s not like they are missing out on Ronaldo or Kaka money here.

42. Shark says:

Would be a good move for him at this point in his career as he is the type of player who would flourish in the more physical EPL….Moenchengladbach his present club has struggled in the relagation zone in the Bundasliga the past three years….Sunderland is 6th in the EPL and has a new owner who has money to spend and a good coach in former-Manchester United Captain Steve Bruce…one of Alex Ferguson’s protege’s….

What is nice is American players are ending up on teams in the top half of the EPL table….Stu Holden is with Bolton who is in 7th…..

43. Judging Amy says:

How? In soccer terms, 26 isn’t young by any means.

44. Sleepy says:

Doesn’t he still have a year and a half on his contract at BMG? Seems like an odd time to sell if they have him for at least a year more. They may be last in the league but they are only 5 pts from safety. They made moves to shore up the back line, why sell now? Even if they do get relegated there will still be interest in him this summer. Too bad really, this has been a nightmare season for BMG. I thought they could have been a top 6 team. Maybe Mikey expressed interest in being moved ASAP. Purely speculation on my part.

45. MicahK says:

I wonder if Sunderland will make a purchase if they like his performance at the end of the loan deal.

46. Sleepy says:

Would be rather mind blowing to have more American CMs starting in the PL than GKs

47. Jack says:

I’d tend to disagree on Bradley not being suited for the EPL. I agree that his game needs polishing, but I think that his more aggressive style of playing would fit in better in England than Italy. Sunderland is a stable club with a good coach who I think would have the potential to positively influence Bradley’s style. That’s just my personal opinion, though.

Really, you can’t tell if someone is going to flourish at a club until you see them play with the team. If you’d have told me that Holden would be getting the rave reviews that have been coming in this time last year, I’d have been more than a bit skeptical. Agree, though, that I’d be a bit surprised in BM sold him. Too much at stake.

48. Jack says:

Is he? Just realized that people are saying both. Although now I’m seeing that he’s in his third year of a fourth year contract.If BMG goes down, though, they’re not going to be able to afford to keep it. The contract ending this year thing probably came from the assumption that they’re getting relegated.

49. Jeff Awesome says:

Sunderland is a great club and it seems like a good fit for Bradley. I just like watching Americans in the EPL. Wish we could get all starting 11 there.

50. Torschluss says:

Could Bradley go? Sure. Of course.

The questions that spring to mind:

1. Why would BMG want to sell him now, while in a relegation battle?

2. If this is really cooking, why have no UK websites reported this *rumor*? [Looking on-line, it is almost all American websites. Including Ives' piece on Fox. One German site...]

51. Jack says:

Most of the articles that I’ve read have said that it’ll include “vets.” So, not that I don’t like seeing the next generation, I’m hoping that it does mean that we’ll be seeing some familiar faces.

52. Ken says:

I don’t think it will be a loan. MB situation is not the same as JJ.

53. Diderot says:

his contract ends summer 2012, so no need really to sell him now. He’ll leave this summer no matter what.
    His replacement in Saturday’s game was a young promising dude, who actually scored the winning goal and left a good impression. Bradley has been volatile this season, maybe the huge pressure of the relegation battle is getting to him… Maybe not everyone knows this, but although BMG has been sucking big time this season this is really a big and proud club

54. Jamie Z. says:

I would loved to have seen him at Villa, but that will never happen under that twit, Houllier. Sunderland looks like a good club for him.

55. Ben says:

Well, Bradley did sit last weekend, so if there is a spat between the coach and Bradley, maybe BMG would acquiesce to selling, which is inevitable eventually.

56. bsinha says:

They will also have quite a few players who should be returning from injuries.
    I predict they will stay up, even if just barely.

57. va chillin says:

they’re selling bent AND cattermole? doesnt sound like a stable or great club to me

58. bsinha says:

If someone sits for most of one game you assume a spat?

59. Sleepy says:

I don’t think anyone is saying/assuming that there is a spat between the two, we’re just trying to wrap our heads around why BMG would sell now. At least this was my take as I made a similar speculation with no evidence above. This whole rumor could be bunk to begin with.

60. Sonicdeathmonkey says:

Perhaps you should go back and actually read Ives’ article and try again. His contract is not up this summer.

61. Brad says:

I figured a mix of vets and new blood, works for me…

62. robert daniels says:

Not going to happen. BM will not sell him now. In the summer, probably but that after they get relegated.

63. Brad says:

I’d go see a team of scrubs, but I have to promise my friends that they’ll see Messi and Tevez to get them to go…

64. Brad says:

they must like Gyan a lot to cash in on Bent…

65. DC Josh says:

Thanks for the info. I tried finding info on him but couldn’t come up with much. I’m pretty sure he is Paraguayan as well, not Uruguayan as Ives states.

66. DC Josh says:

He had a great World Cup, is young and impressing in the Bundesliga. If BM are going to cash in, they should probably do it now. Yes, he could have a stellar season and build his reputation up to the next winter transfer window in 2012. But his current position is similar to a college athlete after a really good season. Make a bigger move now while your stock is high, or risk an injury or poor performance and wait another year with less suitors.

67. DC Josh says:

I’m going through the same thing. Just promise your friends Messi & Tevez will be there, and then when the game kicks off, they’ll be so drunk you can just point to any Argentina player and say “that’s him”.

68. Justin says:

No effing way Gladbach lets him go in the middle of a relegation dogfight. Maybe during the summer.

69. Sleepy says:

Fair enough, I don’t think his value would really drop if you keep him till the summer. Imagine the value if he helps keep you in the top flight too.

70. Phil says:

agreed. BM is fighting for survival, they won’t offload players until they are dead to rights. however, this would be a great move for Jr., so I hope his agent finds a way to make it happen.

71. Phil says:

he’d be just the guy to do it, too…. hilarious!

72. GW says:

This is a transfer rumour. Nothing more at this point.

As for :”1. Why would BMG want to sell him now, while in a relegation battle?”

Why not?

Have you seen the standings? BMG is in a very bad place. Bradley has been playing well for them this year and what has that gotten them? After 18 games they have 13 points. As they say, they can lose just as much without him.

There are 18 games left.

The last couple of years teams have needed a minimum of about 33-37 points to survive.

Do you see BMG getting 20-24 points over the next 18 games?

That means that in the second half, they would have to be dramatically better than they were in the first half.

And if they go down,they will probably HAVE to sell Bradley ( probably won’t be able to afford him) and my guess is he won’t have anywhere near the value he does right now when potential buyers might really need him. Perhaps they have young guys who they could blood these last 18 games, to prep them for next years promotion chase.

Moving Bradley would be a very tactical decision and I doubt that any of us have enough information to evaluate it.

It’s a shame because I still think of them as Weisweiler’s team, on par with Bayern and one of the best teams in Europe wit guys like Vogts, Netzer, Heynkes, Bonhof,Simonsen and even Lothar Matthaus.

73. Gacm32 says:

Wow, Lee Cattermole is as good as everybody makes him out to be. He’s reckless and has minimal ball skills. He gets more red cards than he does goals and he’s been suspended twice this season already for yellow card accumulation.

74. Bubba says:

Bent put in the transfer request with the front office after Villa made a hefty bid for him. Speaking of transfer requests, Sulley Muntari submitted a transfer request himself. I only mention it because apparently he is also a target for Sunderland.

If this goes through it will be great for Bradley, all parties involve could greatly benefit from this. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

75. GW says:

Steve Bruce was a very formidable center half for Man U. Together with Gary Pallister they formed a feared CB pair known as “Dolly and Daisy”. Neville said they mayhave been Man U’s best CB pair ever. Too bad they aren’t buying Edu instead of MB.

In those terms Bruce could maybe teach Bradley about being a hard man but I doubt MB needs much schooling in that area. Bruce did win a lot of medals at Man U and MB could certainly benefit from that.

The main thing is, if this rumour is true, then Bruce wants him and that is what any American who has ever been successful in England has always needed, a stable manager who wanted him and gave him a real shot.

76. MiamiFCduros says:

Bradley would be perfect for Sunderland he outclasses Cattermole by miles. Cattermole in my opinion is more a championship side mid with his lack of pace.

77. Felix says:

I’m actually getting worried about too many Yanks playing in the EPL. It is a grueling season, even by European standards with the way they play thru the winter break, I would hate to see our Yanks get run into the ground by playing in England.

78. inkedAG says:

I was hoping for a better team than Sunderland.

79. IU says:

+1. Sunderland is a good first stop, but he may have troubles with the likes of Jordan Henderson, Malbranque, and Cattermole. Blackpool would be the perfect spot, teaming up with Charlie Adam plus he would be a star on the team.

80. IU says:

Foolishness

81. Match says:

Bradley is a top class player with a top class Dad. if only a major club snapped him up as a kid, can you imagine his potential? Brave, smart, can shoot, tackle and puts in a boat load of effort. Sunderland should be so lucky…

writer for http://www.datecover.com

82. Brian says:

Maybe he should body slam the BMG Mascot too?