Watch the World Cup bid presentations

The bid representatives for all the nations bidding for either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup are presenting their bids today and if you regret not being able to be in Zurich for it all, you can see it as if you were there.

FIFA is providing a live streaming video of the bids. You can watch them here. The U.S.A. bid presentation is at 11am ET.

While you take in the presentations, here is my question for SBI readers. Where will you be watching the World Cup bid announcements on Thursday morning? Watching it at a watch party, or will you be watching at home (on Fox Soccer Channel at 10am, or any of the other various stations showing it).

Let us know where you will be watching what could be one of the most historic moments in American soccer in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Watch the World Cup bid presentations

1. Clayton says:

Why would you have a World Cup bid announcement watch party? And that has nothing to do with it taking place at 10 in the morning on a weekday.

(SBI-Why? Because it’s a potentially historic moment and the USA getting to host World Cup 2022 would be a moment worth celebrating. Yes, 10am is early, but some people are definitely getting together to watch.)

2. Eric says:

Does anyone know when the USA presentation is? Im watching Korea right now and Im just wondering whether I missed it or not.

3. jtk says:

It’s interesting seeing Korea’s not so subtle attempts to contrast their bid w/ the USA’s bid. (flight times, crime, etc)

4. Eric says:

Im an idiot. Apologies.

5. KCB says:

Agree with SBI. Nothing like having a party and drinking in the am to get your day started off on the right foot. USA!

6. Jeremey says:

I was wondering what I was going to do with my Wednesday afternoon, and now I know.

Clayton, please be reminded that not all of us are located in the U.S. At any rate, if I was a betting man, I’d put my money on England in 2018, and Australia in 2022. I’d love to see the World Cup on our shores but I don’t imagine them giving it to us. Here’s to 2026.

7. oo0___ says:

Will they announce the winners today?

8. froboy says:

I will watch it discreetly at my work and try not to scream like I did when Landon buried that goal against Algeria if the US gets the bid

9. john.q says:

no. the bidding nations are making their final presentations today. the winners will be announced tomorrow morning.

10. ASW says:

Watching at work from my SLINGBOX!!

11. CUFCdad says:

The Qatar bid presentation has been pretty good so far. Pretty convincing argument about bringing the World Cup to a new part of the world for the first time that it will be pretty hard for FIFA to resist.

12. Eric says:

qatar just showed beer taps in their bid video. thats false advertising.

13. JSmiley says:

It’s mind-boggling to me that Qatar is mentioned as a possible 2022 site.

Avg. high temperature in July: 115 F (that’s average – some days are hotter)

Want a beer to cool off at the game? Good luck with that. Most bars are located in expensive hotels, and alcohol is not permitted in public (Wiki).

Tourist attractions when you’re not at a game?

[cue crickets]

14. Nova99 says:

Yea for sure, the social impact could be massive, hard to argue against that if they want to have an impact in the same way as in 2002 and 2010.

15. MZ says:

The Qatar bid just gave me goosebumps. I’m all for the USA bid but you have to give credit to the people who created that video.

16. Qatar was the first presentation I managed to catch (I’m Pacific Time), but it was very emotional. I agree with your point about how they emphasised bring the cup to a new part of the world for the first time (sorta like if you have the WC here, all will be peace and light). Hard for FIFA to resist.

Looking forward to seeing the US and others so I can really compare and contrast the presentations (watching here at work)

17. Ypsilanted says:

Yeah, Qatar’s was beautiful. I’m almost willing to give it to them. Australia’s was a joke really. Some a goofy looking animal (hugh jackman) and a cartoon Kangaroo?

Srsly?

18. maka says:

“Women’s football mentioned in at least one bid”

SNAP

19. Eric says:

“Im sorry ive missed a page”. Damn

20. ames says:

hahaha. Morgan!

21. Nick says:

Qatar’s video was nice, but up until the part about the Israelis playing and watching alongside Arabs. That’s just a stupid attempt to sound nice, and we all know it’s not true at all. Qatar might have the money in the world, but to host a World Cup, their social standards still have a long way to go before they’re acceptable for anyone who isn’t a male Muslim.

Anyone who doesn’t believe me about their position on Jews, the WTA (Women’s pro tennis circut) had a big tournament in Doha a few years ago and the tournament director refused to allow entry to a Israeli player (even though she was top 10 in the world at the time), simply because she was a Jew.

And lastly, their team sucks. Atleast South Africa had some players playing at the top levels in Europe. I can’t think of 1 player from Qatar that has actually played to a decent European standard.

22. Jacob says:

Thoughts from the US bid presentation so far:
    1. Morgan Freeman can’t keep the pages of his speech in order.
    2. Sunil Gulati has a VERY high-pitched voiced.
    3. Still love seeing the Donovan goal vs. Algeria (they played the clip before Landycakes spoke).

23. Jacob says:

STOP TALKING SUNIL. Geez his voice is driving me nuts. Go back to Morgan or Landon.

24. Eric says:

So does this video of future SSS confirm that Atlanta and Miami are the next MLS teams?

25. Ypsilanted says:

Gulati’s presentation just showed the future of Soccer specific stadiums and one popped up in Seattle in about 2015.

Interesting.

26. Neg says:

I’m glad that Sunil is talking about what’s important to FIFA, money. Good job on this bid committee.

27. Ypsilanted says:

US Bid full of facts & figures, Qatar based on a compelling emotional appeal. Australia’s was a bit of a joke – trying to be lighthearted and funny.

Gotta say, the US pitch is pretty tight and balanced. Good show compared to the others.

28. Stephen says:

Haha

29. nolablue says:

Bill is usually an excellent speaker, seems he isn’t on point!

30. Matt at App says:

He just had to say the G word didnt he?

31. Stephen says:

Clinton is killing us by trying to promote his foundation. Nobody cares Bill!

32. Judging Amy says:

Good points to consider. Although I wouldn’t condemn an entire country for the actions of one organization (no matter how reprehensible those actions). In our own US, many country clubs have tried and continue to try to keep out minority members (granted, we have anti-discrimination laws and the Equal protection clause to combat this racist sentiment, but the fact remains that the sentiment exists). Do recent incidents of government-backed (blatant or veiled) oppression or antisemitism exist?

Qatar’s money definitely poses a concern in light of FIFA’s apparent susceptibility to corruption.

33. Jacob says:

Remember that a lot of the FIFA voters we want to snag are African and from developing countries… the sorts of places that the foundation helps.

34. JJ says:

Man, Bill is supposed to be our charismatic ace in the hole … he is failing at his job.

35. TBrodie says:

Right, where is he going with this?

36. RS says:

Clinton is a damn good closer…tone, appeal, pace…good finish!

37. JJ says:

Typically, I would agree with you. Not today. He lacked any charisma. He looked more like Al Gore.

38. Darius says:

I thought Clinton gave an understated but convincing presentation.

39. Smacking says:

I agree, he did a nice job of hitting the high points and mixing in personal experience. In addition, Clinton is well respected Internationally for his Foundation work and he did a fine job reminding folks of the US’s ability to have positive global impact.

40. Nova99 says:

Not disagreeing with you but a lot can change in 12 years… look no further than South Africa and how sports can impact a nation (from Rugby to Football) and look at a country like China and India from the mid 1990s to 2010.

And Qatar has a really pathetic national team, during the last WCQ I think they imported a few Uruguayans to play for their national team…

41. JSmiley says:

Could be worse. Could be W.

42. john.q says:

Clinton’s speech attempted to connect the 2 most important things to FIFA, money and legacy. Smart move to me.
    It also hit on how that money can help developing nations which could help us win some african votes. As a bonus he mentioned womens soccer.

43. Mario in QT says:

I thought he did a great job bringing home the point that there is money in it for FIFA. What was great about it was that he did it in a wonderful way, that FIFA will have the funding to carry out its social objectives without saying they will be able to line their pockets as well. NOT a Clinton fan but I thought he was excellent!

44. dan w says:

It is kinda of clear that the 3 best bids (USA Australia and Qatar) are for 2022. Sadly FIFA wants Europe to host basically every other year. (except this time it will be after 2)

45. Eric says:

Did Japan just promise 50 BILLION TV Viewers!?

46. Nova99 says:

No, I think they said there will be 50 billion screens or methods (smartphones, ipads, etc) to view the games by 2022.

47. a woman says:

As a female fan who would like to travel to the World Cup, I’d feel very uncomfortable in a place where women are treated as second class citizens. Would I have to wear jeans in the summer or fall when it was over 100 degrees fahrenheit? I know that I don’t have to choose to travel there (and wouldn’t) but the WC is a world event and a great cultural and world unifier. And it would really suck if FIFA awarded it to a country that doesn’t share in those unifying values (which are supposed to go beyond things like nationalities, race, gender, etc.) just because they are rich.

48. Fifawitz1313 says:

Pretty Cool Technology they are proposing. I thought the US bid committee should have discussed how technology will play into delivering our World Cup to the World (smartphones, internet, etc.)to minimize the impressiveness of what Japan proposes b/c most of what they propose will be commonplace in much of the world and will not be as ground breaking as they make it all sound. That being said the 3D live viewing sounds pretty great.

49. Eric says:

Oh, thats not nearly as cool as 50 billion people. On account of theres not 50 billion people on earth.

50. Eric says:

I hope Fifa realizes that the technology would be awesome if they were holding it THIS year. But you think that if Japan has it already (which they claim they do), dont you think that in all of 12 years we’ll probably be able to figure it out too?

51. john.q says:

they might be counting all the japanese mecha, sailor moon’s, and pokemon too.

52. still like soccer I think... says:

Hey where can I sign up for the Clinton Iniative for global peace through soccer. Also we have reached all people groups except the ones who play NFL, NBA, MLB. This is what FIFA would find appealing get some true american sports fans who go to games and watch TV. Thanks, NFL, NBA, MLB. we would not have a bid with out your help. Go look and see!

53. RedLine55 says:

Hell , i say you don’t even need a reason for that, but if the world is going to supply you with an excuse, you have to take it!

54. Paula says:

OK … cute, slightly cheesy, but … can’t beat the split screen of the Youtube video and THE goal …

Also, given how much press he does, I was little surprised to hear Donovan sound so effing nervous.

55. Nova99 says:

Women in Qatar may suffer from inequality, if the WC does go to Qatar maybe it will help open their society to the social problems that exist as the world focus on them.

All this fear and hate for Qatar is beginning to feel like the spring of 2010 when people were popping up saying if you are not black don’t go into Soweto or places x, y and z else you will be raped and shot and how things wouldve been better if it was in Europe instead.

56. Colin says:

I think it was actually Vancouver (but obviously without saying that it’s Vancouver).

57. Scott A says:

My prediction: 2018 to Spain/Portugal. 2022 to USA.

58. S.F. says:

With Putin not attending Russia’s bid presentation tomorrow, I see England pulling off the 2018 bid. Also, having the World Cup in South Africa and Brazil (2014), FIFA will want to cash in and Spain/Portugal does not provide the same revenue and sponsorship & TV money as England. If England is picked, then I see us facing an uphill battle for 2022, so hopefully Spain/Portugal pull it of though most of us agree that England deserves to host.

Qatar came out o nowhere with their Bid presentation. It was very emotional and very well done (speaking in Arabic, French, Spanish and English) and linking the bid to the entire Middle East. Our bid speech was well done, balanced, culturally driven and economical, but Qatar really wants you to take a risk and give it them, such as FIFA giving us the WC in 1994. We’ll see tomorrow and fingers crossed for US.

I see three scenarios…with (2) being the actual outcome (I hope I’m wrong)
    (1) 2018: Spain/Portugal 2022: USA
    (2) 2018: England 2022: Qatar
    (3) 2018: Spain/Portugal 2022: Qatar

59. John says:

That’s a bit of a strawman argument. There’s a difference between a poor country with a high crime rate and state-supported sexism.

We’ve seen in the past that countries promise to change their social constraints for international sporting tournaments but that rarely happens. Look up Beijing’s restrictions on online access to journalists during the 2008 Olympics.

60. This sounds like the NFL giving the SuperBowl to Butte, Montana. The weather will be crap. There’s nothing to do. We have to build the facilty to host the game. But damnit, we’re so much friggin’ larger than life we can pull off ANYTHING and this will prove it.

61. montana lucky says:

hey now, Butte has some of the best dive bars in the world. hands down.

62. MadKingGeorge says:

One has to love when Slick Willy said Sunil Gulati name wrong and had to say it again. They did not spend much time together before hand. It is like the old story of the Prostitute and the John. I will let you decide who is who.

63. gold says:

clinton was gold. i think he did great in closing

64. SJQuakesFan81 says:

Having spent some time in Qatar with the Army, I seriously hope Qatar does not win. The heat is absolutly oppressive there in the summer (120 degree temps are common in the summer), the transportation and traffic are atrocious, the infrastructure is nonexistant (one modern shopping mall/stadium complex, one shady airport, and one traditional bazaar amidst miles of endless barren desert). Additionally, I believe the security concerns in Qatar are very significant. I would not want to spend any length of time there unless I was on official business.

65. Nova99 says:

I was more referring to the fear of the unknown, which seems to be the direction of the public opinion these days here in the us. Before Beijing and SA 2010 there were fears like this too but mostly from people who have never been there or those with a biased view.

If you google Is Qatar Safe, you get a lot of results from ex-pats who are there and swear its safer than most US cities, for men and women.

I’m not saying Qatar deserves it, just saying we shouldnt fear the unknown, or in the post i responded to: women forced to wear jeans just because its a middle eastern islamic dominated nation…