SBI 2011 MLS Mock Draft (Version 1.0)

Darlington Nagbe (ISIPhotos.com)

The 2011 MLS Draft is two weeks away. That's right, just two weeks away, and the reality is that MLS teams are far from finished trying to figure out which players to move up and move down their draft lists.

Wondering who your team might take when the draft takes place? Over the course of the past three years we have made the SBI MLS Mock Draft a regular part of the lead-up to the Draft and while it's impossible for anybody to know how the draft will actually go, we're confident this Mock Draft is a good measure of where the draft's top prospects project, and which needs teams will be looking to fill.

Wondering what last year's first SBI MLS Mock Draft looked like? Here it is. Of the 16 players I had going in the first round, a total of 11 wound up actually going in the first round. Danny Mwanga wasn't a part of that Mock Draft because at that point he looked unlikely to sign with MLS (that was before MLS through a big-money offer to seal the deal).

So who is the top pick? Vancouver could wind up keeping the pick or trading it, but either way I think Akron standout Perry Kitchen will edge out teammate Darlington Nagbe for the honor of being the first player chosen.

Now, here is our first 2011 SBI MLS Mock Draft:

SBI MLS MOCK DRAFT (Version 1.0)

FIRST ROUND

1. Vancouver Whitecaps- PERRY KITCHEN, M/F, Akron

The Whitecaps can go in a few different directions but will find it hard to pass on Kitchen's versatility and potential. Capable of playing centerback or defensive midfield, Kitchen also boasts good leadership qualities. With a tireless work rate and mature understanding of the game well beyond his years, Kitchen should be able to play right away. It should be noted that Vancouver won't rule out tradng this pick, and D.C. United covets Kitchen and could make a play to move up here.

2. Portland Timbers- DARLINGTON NAGBE, F, Akron

The Timbers already have some forwards signed, such as Eddie Johnson and Bright Dike, but John Spencer can't pass on the best attacking player in the draft. Nagbe's power and pace, combined with a sharp passing eye, make him a threat both as a striker and as a midfielder.

3. D.C. United- ZAREK VALENTIN, D, Akron

Having already added a quality young defender in Maryland standout Ethan White (who signed as a Homegrown Player), D.C. United could be tempted to turn to a striker with this pick, but defensive needs will lead the club to grab Valentin, a U.S. Under-20 centerback who could also slot in at right back. Having Valentin and White together would give D.C. a great defensive nucleus to partner with young goalkeeping standout Bill Hamid.

4. Chivas USA- OMAR SALGADO, F, U.S. Under-20

The club doesn't have a coach in place but the club is aware of its needs, and one of them is strikers. Enter Salgado, who is one of the best long-term prospect in the group. A 6-foot-3 forward who is just 17, Salgado boasts a unique combination of size and ball skills and his Mexican-American heritage and history with Chivas de Guadalajara make him the easy pick. Kofi Sarkodie and Will Bruin could also tempt the Rojiblancos.

5. Philadelphia Union- COREY HERTZOG, F, Penn State

A speedy player with a nose for the goal, Hertzog would make a great addition to a young forward line including Danny Mwanga and Jack McInerney. The Union tried to land Hertzog as a Homegrown Player before being turned down by MLS, but Peter Nowak gets the chance to add a player with local ties and plenty of talent.

6. New England Revolution- ZAC MACMATH, GK, Maryland

The Revolution has plenty of needs and could go for a striker like Will Bruin or a defender like A.J. Soares, but Steve Nicol will be hard-pressed to pass on a franchise goalkeeper like MacMath. Matt Reis just re-signed, but MacMath would be an ideal successor. If MacMath is off the board, the Revs would be a good bet to pounce on Will Bruin.

7. Houston- WILL BRUIN, F, Indiana

Dom Kinnear would probably have jumped all over Kofi Sarkodie if Houston hadn't just signed Hunter Freeman. That being the case, the Dynamo can add a strong forward in Bruin, who can learn from Brian Ching and potentially partner him in year one. Knowing Houston, a trade wouldn't be a surprise here either.

8. Vancouver- KOFI SARKODIE, D, Akron

In his last year as D.C. United head coach, Tom Soehn was able to draft Rodney Wallace and Chris Pontius. This time around, Soehn is the Whitecaps technical director and he will jump for joy of he can land both Kitchen and Sarkodie, two teenage talents who could start for years. This might seem a bit low for Sarkodie, a player with Top 5 talent, but he only slips because the three teams picking before this already have right backs.

9. Chicago- A.J. SOARES, D, California

The Fire need central defense help after the departure of Wilman Conde and retirement of C.J. Brown and Soares can provide that. He's a threat to score on set pieces and he's a good passer out of the back, which will work well in the possession game head coach Carlos de Los Cobos wants to play.

10. Sporting KC- JALIL ANIBABA, D, North Carolina

Replacing veteran defender Jimmy Conrad won't be easy, but KC will be happy to grab an athletic centerback like Anibaba, who has the talent to step in and start for the club formerly known as the Wizards.

11. Seattle Sounders- ANTHONY AMPAIPITAKWONG, M, Akron

It's no secret the Sounders lacked a bit of midfield creativity, and Seattle also lost Sanna Nyassi in the off-season. Ampaipitakwong can help address both those issues. He's quick, tireless and very creative, just the type of spark the Sounders attack needs.

12. Columbus Crew- MICHAEL NANCHOFF, M, Akron

Robert Warzycha could be tempted to go for UNC midfielder Stephen McCarthy as a potential replacement for Brian Carroll, but adding Ohio native Nanchoff, a dangerous left winger, would give the Crew a variety of lineup options.

13. New York Red Bulls- MICHAEL FARFAN, M, North Carolina

The Red Bulls come in looking for defensive depth and potentially a creative midfielder and forward. With two other picks in the Top 30 New York can wait for a central defender (especially if Soares and Anibaba are gone) so the Red Bulls grab one of the most creative players in the draft. The Red Bulls could also be tempted to grab Michigan striker Justin Meram.

14. Real Salt Lake- JUSTIN MERAM, F, Michigan

After losing Robbie Findley to Europe, RSL headed into the off-season needing a forward. If RSL can land Meram here it will be another positive step in a memorable winter. Meram is a dangerous goalscorer, someone who loves going at defenders and can score from anywhere. A good Combine performance could see Meram go even higher, but RSL would pounce if he's available here.

15. San Jose Earthquakes- COLE GROSSMAN, M, Duke

The Earthquakes can use some midfield depth, particularly of the attacking variety, and Grossman is one of the best available players to fit that description. He's a sharp passer, can score goals and has a good motor. Frank Yallop could also take a look at Maryland striker Jason Herrick here.

16. Los Angeles Galaxy- JASON HERRICK, F, Maryland

Bruce Arena dealt away Tristan Bowen, and Edson Buddle's future with the Galaxy is still uncertain, so the Galaxy really need to find a forward in the draft and Herrick is one of the better ones available.

17. FC Dallas- STEPHEN McCARTHY, M, North Carolina

Daniel Hernandez isn't getting any younger and McCarthy is one of the most highly-regarded defensive midfield prospects around. He's 6-foot-4 with good feet and he's also a good set piece threat. McCarthy could easily wind up going higher with a good Combine showing.

18. Colorado Rapids- ASHLEY McINNES, M/F, Tulsa

The Rapids can use some speed and depth on the wing and McInnes can give the MLS champions just that. A forward and midfielder, McInnes has the speed, passing ability and versatility to help the Rapids right away.

—————–

I will post our next Mock Draft (a two-rounder) next week, before the Combine, and the final Mock Draft (a full three rounds) will post the day before the 2011 MLS Draft.

What do you think of these picks? Like the players your team ended up with? Any pick you particularly love or hate?

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer, MLS Draft 2011. Bookmark the permalink.

99 Responses to SBI 2011 MLS Mock Draft (Version 1.0)

1. Second City says:

We need everything except GK, so anywhere helps.

Good thing we gave away a pick for Freddie in arguably the deepest draft to date.

2. MASSIVE says:

Any chance Kofi falls to the Crew? He seems like he would fit right into the spot they left open when they let Frankie Hejduk go. Or would they consider trading up to get him?

3. billy says:

would be thrilled as a sounders fan.

4. You n00b says:

We need a center back, central midfielder and striker. We don’t “need everything except GK.” If you forgot we have Pappa, Nyarko, Pause, Segares, KWS, Kinney.

5. Pistowie says:

I think I would prefer Will Bruin to the Revs over MacMath

6. Matti says:

I’d be thrilled to see Kofi land with the Crew, but I can’t see it happening unless the Crew trade up

7. Pej says:

I think Vancouver is confident in their D so far and should focus more on attacking forwards with finish/flair. They seemed to be very high on SALGADO when he trained here in the summer, but may now be tempted by NAGBE.

And with the 8th pick, I don’t see them going for SARKODIE (IF he lasts that long)… Wes Knight has signed and is starting to look solid for 2011. No. 8 may be BRUIN or AMPAIPITAKWON.

8. PhillyMLS says:

Sorry Ives, I just don’t think that Philly grabs Hertzog at #5. We already have 2 GA players at the forward spot. I’m thinking they go defensive depth with Sarkodie or goalkeeper depth with MacMath. I think the Hertzog homegrown play was just trying to get a player without using a draft pick.

9. wilyboy says:

I read your explanation for DC picking Valentin, but don’t believe it will happen. DC should know they still need to score, and will Salgado. DC would win a lot more games if the defense wasn’t fighting a losing battle all season with no help from the front line.

10. Evan says:

I played basketball with Jalil in junior high, he is the most amazing athlete I have ever seen in person.

11. ELAC says:

We need a centerback more now that we have Tristan Bowen on the roster. Salgado would be great but he was treated like sh!t in Guadalajara thanks to morons on the squad. Salgado might not be too hip to put on the red and white stripes of CUSA.
    Hey Ives, can you rate the prospects based on position?

12. TheSwed says:

Its not difficult to pick what players will go in the first round. It is difficult to pick which players will go where in the first round. I think you are off the mark on a couple of picks, Ives. RSL and Seattle have depth right now and a lot of picks, I think one of those two trades up to get into the Top 5. Seattle and RSL are both interested in MacMath. Seattle will take a keeper. Bingham if MacMath is gone. Look at previous drafts — they draft by need.

(SBI-I know how team’s draft my man, and the mock draft is a work in progress. I also don’t project in trades so it’s pretty pointless to start getting into those kind of scenarios.)

13. 20 says:

Ives there is no way the Revs get another goalkeeper with Reis and Shuttleworth.. I’m sorry it just makes no sense with their problems in defense

(SBI-Don’t see a defender being worth that spot so either they pick someone like MacMath and deal him, or they trade the pick. I don’t see them reaching for a Soares or Anibaba that high. Also, excuse me if I’m not on the Shuttlesworth is the next Schmeichel bandwagon, which seems to have a decent amount of residents.)

14. ImaGoalMan says:

I don’t think Perry Kitchen will be a “Teitur Tot”…too bad he doesn’t fall to Sounders, though

15. 20 says:

agreed, I think Ives is wrong on that one

16. 20 says:

I think they will get AJ Soares though

17. afrim says:

there will be a crazy pick made by a team in the first round. Bright Dike 2.0

18. robert daniels says:

Agreed he’s the best puck handler I’ve ever seen. You mean for his age? No I don’t.

19. Shane says:

I dont think Kitchen and Valentin will go that high. I think they have a lot of learning to do if you paid attention to Akrons end of season. I think Nagbe or Salgado will go first. I hope the Crew gets Sarkodie or Nanchoff, either would fill a need.

20. Shane says:

Oh and Ives, Nanchoff is not the only home grown talent in the draft.

21. D5ve says:

I’m also wondering if Salgado to Chivas USA would be problematic given the way he left the mothership.

22. Second City says:

Ah, the usage of “n00b”. Internet-infantile insults never get old.

When you’re ready to expand your vocabulary past words like “n00b” look up the term: hyperbole.

Now that you have, I’ll address your version of a response…

In fact, Pappa and Nyarko are solid pieces for any MLS squad along with Johnson showing sincere potential at GK.

Outside of those three, there is literally nothing.

It’d be favorable to include Watson-Siriboe as a wildcard but that’s just based on his age not his performance.

You mention Segares? He looked like a shell of himself before he left for his Egyptian squad. Not the same player he once was.

You mention Pause? The guy is the personification of average. If that’s what you’re building your midfield around, goodluck.

You mention Steven Kinney? At this point I have to ask: Did you even watch the Fire last year? What did you see in him makes a lasting impression? Love to hear it.

Outside of a: winger, a midfielder and a prospect at GK….yes, they infact need EVERYTHING.

Of those three, again if you actually watched the Fire, DLC has no idea how to utilize Pappa or Nyarko so what’s it actually matter?

We’re not strong up the spine and at this point, a complete reclaimation project is in order, hence my comments.

Corben Bone is someone I’m hoping develops into some form of a playmaker but he wasn’t played enough to actually guage his potential.

The majority of the players you mentioned are as forgetful as the substance of your post.

23. b says:

So Cal’s GK doesn’t get drafted in the first round, interesting….

24. carlos says:

I want the fire to get jistin meram but probably wont happen tho. c(:

25. MCvdB says:

I think Houston goes with a defender with its 1st round pick: soares, sarkodie or anibaba. They need another central def, and another outside back. We need another fwd, but that will be a DP next summer.

26. Jason says:

Cal’s GK isn’t in the draft.

27. Frank says:

As an Akron fan that has seen every home game this year, I can tell you with most certainty that Ives has Kitchen placed too high and Nanchoff placed too low. Picks 2, 3 & 4 look correct however. Although Im not taking into account team’s needs which Ives probably is.

28. The Dude says:

I think very few of us have had a chace to see all of these guys in action, so it’s really tough to judge in abstract. I can imaging the headaches for MLS squads who have few resources to scout players properly. It’s near impossible to tell who’ll be the next Zakuani or Ream.

29. Duck says:

Odds are Houston trades away the first round pick. Kinnear is good at picking out the late-round diamonds-in-the-rough (Geoff Cameron and Danny Cruz). Interested to see who he unearths this year. They need a replacement for Holden, or a good left mid to replace Davis if he moves inside.

30. Jacob says:

I too was at every Akron home game as well as a few away games. Kitchen is the real deal. I think he is deserving of a top 3 pick. He singlehandedly stepped in and filled Zemanski and Gavin’s shoes at Akron when UA switched from two holding mids to just one this year. Plus he has other intangibles such as leadership.

31. Tielor2d says:

You are exactly right, Philly needs to shore up a defense that couldn’t pull a clean sheet until September last year. Sardokie may be available around their pick but they already have the young Williams at RB. I would love for them to take Macmath if he is there. Seitz and Knighton failed to impress last season and Mondragon can’t be expected to play more than 2 seasons. Macmath has serious talent and could ease his way into the starting lineup after waiting behind a seasoned vet.

32. Missoula says:

Dude, that was cold. You personally insulted him, analyzed exactly why he was wrong, then insulted him again.

33. pwned says:

yo bro Segares played in Cyprus, which last time I checked was not in Egypt.

34. RevsFan says:

I see them going with sarkodie, definitely need to shore up the backline. Either that or a good central midfielder to pair with Joseph.

35. fischy says:

At least the Fire got a talented player with international cred, in exchange for their 2nd rd. pick. DC gave up their 2nd rd. pick for Stephen King, who was a third rounder when Seattle got him.

36. fischy says:

I agree. The odds that DC and Vancouver both pass on Salgado, after bringing him in for close-up looks? Small.

37. Burn says:

Personally, I think Darlington Nagbe’s gonna go first, and D.C. would do much better with Sarkodie than Valentin. True as D.C. needs help with offense, Sarkodie can get forward when he needs to. Omar Salgado has potential, but United needs someone that can make an impact right away. Salgado is more of a project.

38. Frank says:

He’s a defensive role player though that plays his role very well. His foot skills are somewhat limited in my opinion. He’s peerless at winning headers though. I’d take Valentin or Nagbe before Kitchen. Maybe Kitchen at 4 or 5.

39. fischy says:

I’m guessing Meram will do well in the MLS, but he’s been consistently underrated. My guess is he doesn’t go before LAG at #16 — might even slip to the 2nd rd. I don’t see Herrick going in the 1st rd — he’ll definitely slip down. I’m surprised Colin Rolfe isn’t on the list — is he not coming out?

40. fischy says:

Sarkodie does seem like a good fit, but…his brother was being projected asa high pick a year ago (or was it 2?). He was picked much lower (4th rd.) and didn’t even make a team.

41. Burn says:

Good point, but from what I’ve heard, Kofi is higher in prospect than Ofori was. Like I said, I think D.C. needs someone that’ll make an immediate impact.

42. Mike G says:

Will there be anyone left to play at the University of Akron? Good thing their coach just signed a deal through 2020.

Go Zips!

43. shantz says:

Is there anything on the player chris agorsor?

44. TheSoccerSage says:

Schellas Hyndman will crap his pants if he can get Stephen McCarthy with the 17th pick…

45. Aaron says:

They will be even better next year. The incoming class us stacked!

46. Thorpinski says:

Agree Salgado is the best player in the draft, I think he will go first

47. Lorenzo says:

Danny Cruz was unearthed? He was a part of the u-17 and u-20 USA teams for awhile and a generation adidas player…

Houston is not any better than any other team at picking. They have picked 1st and 2nd rounds and had medium success.

In the drafts these days, if you have a r1 or r2 pick, you better use them.

48. Lorenzo says:

sorry if that sounded nasty, didn’t mean to be. You are right they have to do a lot of replacing.

I think Colin Clark and Danny Cruz can help next year, maybe Cobos but no idea what he holds.

49. sholata says:

Has there ever been a draft – soccer, football, basketball – with the top three picks coming from the same school? and 6 picks total, virtually half the draft? Better question, if it happens, would it ever happen again?

50. b says:

Oh, Ives had him on quite high on his draft big board, but apparently he was only coming out if he got a GenAd contract:

10. *DAVID BINGHAM, California, Goalkeeper

Considered a prospect on par with Zac MacMath, Bingham is a first-round talent who may not be available in the draft after initially being bypassed for a Generation adidas contract.

51. Bob says:

Only if he had played at SMU

52. Hincha Tim says:

Swed, on what basis do you say that RSL is interested in MacMath. I’ve seen nothing at all that would indicate this. And RSL’s backup keeper played exceptionally well last year when he was given the chance. I think RSL will be looking for a left back or a a great value at forward, whichever they think is the best player left at one of those positions when they pick.

53. gunner04 says:

someone else asked this in an earlier thread, but i never saw an answer. can underclassmen without GA deals enter the draft? and how often does that happen? so if kassel isnt signed to a homegrown deal by RBNY, what are the chances he returns to school?

54. b says:

Did the incoming class commit before or after Akron won the College Cup?

Either way, it’s scary to see how good the NEXT class will be after half a dozen players from Akron are picked in the first round of the upcoming draft….

55. b says:

I’m guessing the next college to do it in any major team sport will be… Akron in soccer again in a year or two.

56. metasyntactic variable says:

Which round do you see John Rooney being taken?

57. Yaznasty says:

Nah our whole team is gone. I’m friends with one of the managers though and he said he’d be back for at least one more season so that’s good haha

58. Yaznasty says:

To my knowledge the 2011 recruiting class has been committed for a while…verballed at least. Don’t know too much about the 2012 class yet, except that one of the nation’s top defenders has verballed.

59. ELAC says:

BTW, f**k the mothership.
    LA Goats por vida.

60. bob says:

Lets see how John “you are not wayne” Rooney does at the combine

61. socc3r says:

ive searched him quite a few teams actually. i know he left after they won their title (he didnt get much playing time during their run). he said he was trying his hand at playing professionally but i didnt say where. hope injuries didnt end his career as he should be around 21 now and had top european clubs looking at him in high school.

62. Tim says:

Goalkeepers are never drafted that highly. It shouldn’t be surprising.

63. EMF says:

What’s up with all these whiny b*tches that got beef with Ives and his exclusive commentary. It is FAR too easy to complain… I understand if you disagree and verbalize that.. it’s fine if you post your disagreements, but the moment you make it personal, you, my friend, are out-of place. Ives, please delete this nonsense. We are lucky we have this blog/access. If ur the hot-sh*t, please make your own blog, try to get millions of hits/year, and then you can think your opinion means something.

64. EMF says:

agreed on Meram. He may slip to 2nd, unless his combine is off the charts

65. EMF says:

Sorry, this sentiment has just been building for me for awhile on this site and B was the latest poster in that line. No ill meant, just tired of people acting like they know better. Ives isn’t perfect; neither are you, get over it.

66. Eric says:

I think we found all the people from Boston on the survey.

67. EMF says:

You really sound like a better-than-thou BigSoccer poster here. You may be right, but its just not worth it. Calling people infantile for disagreeing with you is never beneficial.

68. Wally says:

Apparently Sarkodie is more of a right back, wouldnt make sense with Alston still young in the fold.

69. CUSA fan says:

Sorry Ives but your wrong about CUSA picking Salgado. CUSA will go after a DF. Soares or a DF from Akron.

(SBI-Say you disagree because saying I’m wrong about something that hasn’t happened yet is a bit silly, unless you happen to be the head coach Chivas USA hasn’t hired yet. I can’t see them picking Soares so high. That would be pretty shocking given the GA players available.)

70. cvs says:

I believe Egypt may have laid claim to Cyprus in 2000 BC. I could understand the confusion.

71. gerald says:

totally agree, it’s just a intitial projection

72. MSnats says:

So, o/t but apparently Nilmar is out for a month or more with a knee injury. More pt for Jozy?

73. Sir Knox says:

Hi Ives! and all you soccer fans!
    NYRB could also really use Kofie Sarkodie at right back since Albright is going to need a backup this season.
    But I also don’t see them being very interested in the draft at all. The draft is exciting to me but they seem to be looking for experienced talent elsewhere.
    Does that sound like Soler and Backe to you?
    On the Striker option, do you think that Justin Meram could beat Agudelo and Chinn for the striker on the bench position?
    ?s are open to everyone of course.

74. Morning Train says:

Fire fans sounding more like Fire management.

75. BC says:

With Saborio, Espindola, Paulo Jr., Alvarez, and Campos, RSL has the attackers. Russell got exposed as being too slow to play on the wings now. Need a back, preferably left, badly to eventually replace Wingert since he’s almost 30.

76. Eugene says:

Regarding NY Ives, what is the latest on Kassel? Is it definite that he’s being signed as a homegrown player, once the details are worked out? Because he’s disappeared from the draft discussion.

I can’t see NY signing a striker given that they have 6 — Henry, Rogers, Agudelo, Chinn, Ibrahim and Chirgadze. Speaking of which, what is the status on Chirgadze, are we going to see this guy play? NY definitely needs an attacking mid (so Farfan sounds like a good shot), but outside of that spot, I see the biggest needs in defense.

77. Chi-town Hammer says:

Even Sega will agree that he wasn’t his former self when he came back from Cyprus. You would be too if you were playing the second half of the season with a detached ligament on your right toe. I can say Sega will be focusing his efforts to come back 100% healthy in 2011.

With Conde, Collins John and McBride out of the picture I will pretty much say the atmosphere in the locker room will be much more positive.

The big issue with me is will DLC finally adapt to the league or will he still try to implement his style of “soccer”. Also, will the team finally trust him.

78. Ned Smitty says:

Ives, I like who you have Seattle taking, they could use someone to distribute the ball better. Does AMPAIPITAKWON have a nickname? I don’t want to have to learn to spell that. Personally though, I’m hoping for a keeper and pray they can get MacMath. I’ve read they’re up against the salary cap so a GenAdidas player would be a bonus.

79. Richard says:

With Lindpere, Richards, Tchani, and Marquez in the midfield, would the addition of an attacking midfielder push Marquez to center back?
    Mendes has proven he deserves to keep that starting spot…
    I don’t see us going to a one forward setup either…
    But all those things possible because we pretty much need a true attacking midfielder.

80. Duck says:

Fair point about Cruz. I believe he was the last GA player taken in the draft, which to me shows that other coaches didn’t rate him highly even though his contract was free. You can argue that maybe he didn’t fit a need, but one would figure that in the 40 picks before him, someone might want a right mid with potential and U-## team experience. ‘Unearthed’ was probably the wrong word to use. ‘Recognized’ or ‘appreciated’ might be better.

81. fischy says:

On learning to spell the guy’s name — you’re off to a bad start. It’s Anthony….Ampaipitakwong. There’s a “g” at the end.

82. Ned Smitty says:

Ives and I both – I copied/pasted. But thank you nontheless.

83. Second City says:

Appreciate the fine-tooth comb approach to my response.

If no recollection to an exact location of an obscure club was all that you found, I’m flattered by the googlian effort.

Since we’re going for relevance to the topic, the real question is: did I misspell anywords, too?

84. Hincha Tim says:

BC,

I agree (as I said) that RSL’s first need is an outside back (left sided). On the right RSL has Tony Beltran, who at 23 years old, has really come on and played very well last year, and has Russell as insurance. Wingert is serviceable, but his pace and his crossing ability are lacking which puts RSL at a disadvantage moving forward for width as it plays its diamond 4-4-2. If there is a good attacking left back in the draft, I think RSL goes for that (any ideas Ives? could Nanchoff play LB?) (One intriguing scenario that played out last year was when Will Johnson played (very well) at left back for a game. I think he’d make a fantastic LB if he were so inclined. I do think if a forward of Meram’s quality was still available and no good LB options were there that RSL would go in that direction.

85. Second City says:

I think losing McBride, Brown & Thorrington are huge blows to the lockerroom, to be honest.

With that leadership absent, it’ll be more important for DLC to actually show some leadership.

Speaking the language could be a start.

86. Jacob says:

I think Valentin is overrated. He was Akron’s most skilled defender this year, but his inconsistency killed the team at times. He had some horrible games. Especially the OSU game. Barson was our rock in the back.

87. Jacob says:

Definitely a “g” on the end. As for a nickname, around Akron he is known as “Ampai.”

88. Jo-Jo D'Hippo says:

Simon ese

89. Salgado is NOT the best player in the draft. Ives is dead-on about Kitchen. WAY better player than Salgado.

90. Luigi39 says:

Don’t count Meram as automatically going into the MLS yet….word on the street is he’s got offers in EU and the Middle East he’s contemplating. Hope the MLS signs him before we loose another exciting player. Would love to see him in KC!

91. garcia says:

Meram is the most exciting lethal F coming into the draft….check this out if you don’t believe me. link to youtube.com

92. Metro-211-7 says:

This year (2010), in college soccer, the Louisville Cardinals had an incredible season! I just did not have the chance to watch many of their games.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they lined up tactically. I do know that these were the 11 most used players (30-Andre Boudreaux GK, 17-Brock Granger, 12-Chase Rodgers, 23-J.T. Murray, 3-Paolo DelPiccolo, 24-Austin Berry, 14-Nick DeLeon, 2-Charlie Campbell, 9-Colin Rolfe, 19-Kenney Walker & 22-Dylan Mares), and these were the next 5 who saw significant playing time (11-Aaron Horton, 5-Andrew Farrell, 4-Ryan Smith, 10-Buck Tufty & 13-Josh Lipka).

Thanks in advance.

93. galloway84 says:

Second City, valid points in terms of players that you mentioned. Johnson looks like the real deal behind the net, Watson-Siriboe looks like a nice fit at the center back position and still is learning, Segares will rebound from his 2010 stint from the Fire, Kinney before he got injured showed a lot of signs that he is a solid defender, Pappa and Nyarko seem like nice combo at outside mid and you are right about Logan Pause. Pause is too slow and small to be a holding midfielder that panics while dribbling the ball and opposing player puts pressure on him. Pause as team MVP was a joke; I prefer Husidic at that spot. I like Ristic’s versatility to play any position from defender to midfielder. I like Soares to compete with Corey Gibbs (a player with injury issues). They need strikers and a center midfielder that can create plays; Corben Bone at this point seems like a project due to his raw skills. Castillo needs to get into playing shape because it is either all or nothing for him 2011.

94. galloway84 says:

And the Fire have to surrender the 27th pick overall in the 2nd round to Seattle for the Ljungberg deal.

95. Jason says:

I just have to say that i am shocked at how many Akronites are here on SBI! I thought i was the only one! Granted I think that makes, what, 4 of us, but I’m still surprised.

That said, I’m surprised about how far up the board Amapai is going, he didn’t seem to be that heralded and it seemed like he was overshadowed all year by Nagbe, Sarkodie, et al.

96. Big Chil says:

Aw, sweet! A new mock draft! Now I’m gonna go up to the top and read it. Happy New Year, all.

97. Colin says:

The LA Galaxy are gonna draft AJ Soares and then sign AJ Hawk from the GB Packers and AJ Burnett from the NY Yankees.

Sickest backline ever:

AJ – AJ – AJ – AJ – Frankie Hejduk (his new nickname will be AJ).