By FRANCO PANIZO
U.S. national team fans know all about Carlos Bocanegra's heading ability, and now St. Etienne fans do too.
Bocanegra scored his first goal for St. Etienne in the club's 2-2 draw with Bordeaux by losing his mark and heading home a free kick from close range. The goal, which was Bocanegra's first at the club level since March, gave St. Etienne the lead, but a late score from Bordeaux would negate it.
Michael Bradley also scored this weekend, but his goal came in a losing effort as Borussia Moenchengladbach lost to Hannover 96, 2-1. Bradley whipped in a free kick from distance, but no one got on the end of it and it bounced into the back of the net. Bradley now has three goals in the Bundesliga campaign.
Michael Parkhurst wasn't on the scoresheet, but he did put in a 90-minute showing at right back for FC Nordsjaelland in its 2-1 victory against Horsens. Should Parkhurst continue to get minutes at that position, he might warrant a look there for the U.S. national team.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card for a foul that led to a penalty kick and made three saves in Everton's 1-1 draw vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes, and had an ASSIST in Fulham's 2-1 loss vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played 1 minute for Fulham.
- Brad Friedel and Aston Villa play Liverpool on Monday.
- Brad Guzan and Aston Villa play Liverpool on Monday.
- Eric Lichaj and Aston Villa play Liverpool on Monday.
- Marcus Hahnemann dressed but did not play in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 3-0 loss vs. Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in West Ham United's 1-0 loss vs. Sunderland on Sunday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 1-0 loss vs. Manchester City on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County's 2-1 loss vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 2-1 win vs. Derby County on Saturday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Frank Simek and Carlisle United's game vs. Leyton Orient on Saturday was postponed.
- Mike Grella and Carlisle United's game vs. Leyton Orient on Saturday was postponed.
- Anton Peterlin and Plymouth Argyle's game vs. Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday was postponed.
- Jemal Johnson and Milton Keynes Dons' game vs. Plymouth Argyle on Saturday was postponed.
- Maurice Edu and Rangers did not play this weekend.
- Dominic Cervi and Celtic did not play this weekend.
- Jozy Altidore dressed but did not play in Villarreal's 1-0 win vs. Sevilla FC on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 3-0 win vs. Brescia on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 2-1 win vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley dressed but did not play for Hannover 96.
- Michael Bradley started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 2-1 loss vs. Hannover 96 on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 2-0 win vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Ricardo Clark dressed but did not play in Eintracht Frankfurt's 2-1 win vs. Mainz on Saturday.
- Daniel Williams did not dress in SC Freiburg's 1-0 win vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Kenny Cooper did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 1-0 win vs. Hertha Berlin on Sunday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- David Yeldell started, played 90 minutes and made one save in MSV Duisburg's 3-1 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Friday.
- Luis Robles started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Karlsruhe's 1-0 loss vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday.
- Amaechi Igwe did not dress in FC Ingolstadt 04's 1-1 draw vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Carlos Bocanegra started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in St Etienne's 2-2 draw vs. Bordeaux on Saturday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 2-1 win vs. Valenciennes on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg and Evian Thonon Gaillard's game vs. Stade Laval on Friday was postponed.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 2-1 win vs. Zulte-Waregem on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 2-1 win vs. Horsens on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 6-0 loss vs. Odense on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe did not dress for Aalborg BK. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
What do you think of these performances? Why do you think Bocanegra is such a threat on set pieces? Should Bradley take free kicks for the U.S. national team from now on? Should Parkhurst get a look at right back for the national team in the future?
Share your thoughts below.