Who should the USMNT call up vs. South Africa?

Jozy Altidore (ISIPhotos.com)

The last U.S. national team match of the year will take place in the same country where so many of the year's most memorable matches took place, and chances are the return to South Africa could feature several new faces that didn't make the trip south last summer.

When the United States takes on South Africa on Nov. 17th in Cape Town, Bob Bradley will be calling in a team minus most of his top European players, as well as without the national team players still involved in the MLS playoffs. While we won't see the likes of Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey, we could potentially see the likes of Tim Howard or Michael Bradley in order to prevent the fielding of a complete B team for a match commemorated as the Nelson Mandela Challenge Cup.

So what will a team without most of the team's starters look like? Here's a potential lineup:

PROJECTED USA LINEUP vs. SOUTH AFRICA

————–Johnson———-Altidore—————–

Rogers——–Feilhaber——–Bradley———Bedoya

Bornstein—–Onyewu——-Goodson———-Lichaj

————————Howard————————–

Tim Howard and Michael Bradley are in the middle of their club seasons, where both are regular starters, but if Bob Bradley wants to field a team that isn't a flat-out B team, I could see these two players being called in for this match. If Howard is left home, then Brad Guzan would get the nod. If Michael Bradley is left behind, we could see Kyle Beckerman in the starting lineup.

Something else to consider is the status of Mexican club Pachuca, which is still battling for a place in the Apertura playoffs. If Pachuca is eliminated this weekend you have to wonder whether Bob Bradley would consider calling in Jose Francisco Torres, Herculez Gomez and even Marco Vidal.

If you are looking for some brand new faces, like a Mikkel Diskerud, there is no guarantee that Bob Bradley will call in brand new players into this camp. Diskerud seems destined to take part in the January training camp.

What do you think of the projected lineup? What players would you like to see called in for the match?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

211 Responses to Who should the USMNT call up vs. South Africa?

1. kc fan for life says:

I want Teal Bunbury for USA!

2. Phresh says:

We should stop going to Africa

3. Reid says:

If taking this long midweek flight gets us 1 or more votes for the world cup in 22 or just a better standing with a few other african nations then its worth it. If there will be minimal Euro starters coming in so I really don’t see the big deal.

4. The Editor says:

Some sections of this article appear to be missing text. Example: “While we won’t see the likes of Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey, we could potentially see the likes of Tim Howard and Michael Bradley in order to prevent the fielding of a completely…”

5. Rory says:

Diskerud should be brought in but not expect to play (assuming his league season is finished or their spot is wrapped up). He would benifit from just being around the guys and that might make the January camp a little easier for one of the few guys so far removed from the rest of the team.

6. Don Pelayo says:

I think it might be time for Sacha to get another USMNT opportunity. I would also like to see Torres in the starting lineup, if he will indeed be available. Other than that, your projected lineup looks good to me.

7. elseth7 says:

tim ream!

8. Don Pelayo says:

In addition, do you think Beasley will get a look? He would provide veteran experience to the lineup, and could use a boost through playing time (as far as I know he has only made a few substitute appearances for Hannover).

9. Michael F. SBI Mafia Original says:

10. Thor says:

Is there any doubt that Mike Bradley is not going and playing. I would rather see the U-20′s go

11. Don Pelayo says:

That sounds like a punishment to me…

12. jig says:

which u20s?

13. OmarVizquel says:

When can we end the Eddie Johnson experiment for good? Yeah, I know the options are limited and “who else should we call up?” and all that, but it’s hard to think of a more underwhelming and ineffective forward in our pool.

14. Omar Gonzalez says:

-1. Good on the ball, bad at defending, not a good combo.

15. Chris says:

Not yet I wouldn’t think. I am a RBNY fan and love Ream, but he needs to spend some time in camp with the team instead of just jumping into a SA friendly. My 2 cents at least.

16. Yurch says:

I think it’s obvious Michael Bradley will be called in for this game.

I’d like to see Ream even though the last NYRB game was the first I’d seen him and was extremely unimpressed to say the least. Everyone has an off day though…

17. Don Pelayo says:

…non-reflective set of heads, as the night lighting of the pitch will not be sufficient without the reflected light off of a few bald heads.

That’s all I could come up with :-p

18. RSL til I DIE says:

KYLE BECKERMAN!!!

19. OmarVizquel says:

“Jozy Altidore is seeing playing time at Villarreal, particularly, but given his lack of minutes in La Liga, a call-up for this friendly makes sense.”

I wonder how long the US national team can act as Jozy’s own personal “get some minutes” squad.

(SBI-He’s been getting regular Europa League starts for Villarreal, it’s not like he doesn’t play, and he’s still clearly the best striker in the pool so he keeps playing if he can use the action.)

20. Don Pelayo says:

Based on his last few performances, I would have to agree. He is a player that desperately needs to move away from the Cottage and find first team action for a lower level European club or return to the MLS. Once he is playing consistently and scoring goals I think he will be ready for another call. Until then, I think there are better options in the MLS.

21. Jtd says:

Can some give me any info regarding m Vidal? Seen him at pachuca on paper but want to know more. Thanks.

22. montana matt says:

23. John says:

I don’t know what anyone sees in Bedoya. Guy has been awful.

24. SeattleStan says:

Since I don’t think Rico and Sascha really count as European players, why not them?

25. jb says:

Probably as long as it takes to find a striker who can score a goal.

26. kyle says:

what about bringing in geoff cameron

27. BrooklynFC says:

Says Mr.Ok on defense and bad on the ball.

28. kyle says:

i think rico can still play

29. CTMo85 says:

+1 Apparently he just turned down a call-up for Canada. Give Teal another year or so and he could be a real option up front for the US.

30. Hokie_Futbol says:

…is not an international player. His hair is stupid. Take a bath hippie

31. EA says:

Well there goes my opportunity to make a sarcastic comment about just bringing the U-20s….

…because someone apparently thinks that’s actually a good idea.

32. milkshake of despair says:

Freddy Adu is not doing anything…

33. LIUnited says:

No love for an in form Convey? He seems fully healed from his knee injury and is playing at a better level than Rodgers.

34. Boulder Rapidman says:

Marvell Wynne? Anyone?

I mean, did you SEE his flying save at Columbus? The guy’s an animal at Center or Right Back.

35. Vik says:

Cameron seems like a good one.
    Ream would be ok with me; he really had a fantastic game against SJ (except for the nice Convey goal that is in the highlights).
    Guzan would be fine over Howard.
    Don’t know about EJ, Braun or Wondo would be interesting if SJ are out by then.
    I’d like to see Bradley-Feilhaber in the middle again. They made for quite a partnernship in a very memorable WC, though now with Edu and Jones, it’s unlikely we’ll see them start together centrally much anymore.

36. Hokie_Futbol says:

I know I am going to catch flak for this, but what about having Chuck D there? I know that he can’t make the Souchaux A team now or probably play any first team football, but just to give him the opportunity to come in. The coaches (and himself) can see where he’s at, and it might give him an extra boost where he may be close (or at least closer) to 90-95% by the Gold Cup. I know he may never be the player he was (and he may still be that player), but who wouldn’t take an 80% of old Chuck D over a 100% Eddie Johnson, 100% Edson Buddle, 100% Robbie Findley?

37. EvertonBrian says:

I’m tired of Robbie Rogers. He scores that goal against Colorado, rips his shirt off a la Brandi Chastain, then proceeds to post the “highlights” of the game to his twitter as soon as he gets home. Listen, if I’m him, I’m at home sulking, down and out. I’m not posting highlights because I scored in the game and, clearly, could care less about my team being out of the playoffs. Just had to get this off my chest. He seems like a tool.

38. jb says:

Beckerman may lack international speed but he has his uses. Hippies are good people. There are plenty of them in Blacksburg, I know cuz I was one of em.

39. Don Pelayo says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that San Jose just eliminated Red Bulls from the playoffs, and thus are still in the competition.

40. jig says:

I’d take a healthy Buddle over an unhealthy Davies any day of the week.

41. Don Pelayo says:

I wouldn’t. In my opinion, Sochaux wouldn’t keep him in the reserves if he were ready to contribute to the first team. Supposedly, he and his club will know in the coming weeks or months whether he will fully recover…let’s wait for Charlie to start playing first team football before talking about a USMNT call.

42. timothy says:

Nothing wrong with Africa, but we’ve played South Africa too many times. We should be playing Senegal, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Egypt, etc.

(SBI-I agree with your sentiment, but right now if playing South Africa helps USA get 2022 then you do it, and that seems to be the thinking.)

43. Modibo says:

LOL!!! Adu – yeah, right!

That’s almost as rich as suggesting that EJ get a call-up. Oh, wait a minute…

44. jlm says:

seriously. are we ever going to see another us lineup without MB. not a complete hater but c’mon and give someone else some minutes there.

45. Mat says:

Robbie Rogers is overrated and has failed to produce each time he gets called to the big stage (I haven’t seen one good game out at the international level)
    He can’t cross, can’t finish, he’s too full of himself.
    I’ll look at that kid from Norway any day before Rogers.

46. NNNick says:

Conor Doyle?

47. LIUnited says:

Sorry, still in shock the Red Bulls are out and San Jose is in. Just looking to not have Rodgers in the line up and think Convey deserves another shot. I am certainly not impressed with the depth of this squad.

48. jlm says:

i like that idea. this should be a good opportunity for some players who have not gotten a chance with the nats recently. this game means absolutely nothing. as I said above, why MB would play is beyond me.

also like bringing sascha and clark back in if it works with their schedules. what is wrong with sending a B team?

49. OmarVizquel says:

“…what about having Chuck D there?”

Uh, no. The coaches know exactly “where he’s at” — playing reserve minutes when he’s not tweeting and lying to police (allegedly).

50. bryan says:

why not give beasley a call up even? he’s getting more time than some of the other options. wouldn’t hurt to have him called up.

51. einar says:

dont call jozy. leave him alone. I would like to see Vidal, torres, gomez, adu, kazlauskas, convey, wynne (playing at center though), and beckerman, diskerud, freeman, and bedoya.

52. Mat says:

How many goals has CD scored for the reserves? How many minutes has he played with the first team? Case closed.

53. DC Josh says:

Leave Howard at home Merseyside with his family.

Take Brad Guzan and another goalie as backup.

Gooch certainly goes considering he has forgotten what a “pitch” is.

Lichaj yes. Bedoya yes. Parkhurst yes. Bradley no. Feilhaber yes. Holden yes. Beckerman yes. Jozy yes. Eddie Johnson no please please please. Oh yeah, and no Robbie Rogers also.

This is just a friendly, but won’t the South African Football Federation be a little peeved if Bob Bradley takes down a “B” team? I would want to see the USA stars if I’m a South African ticket-buyer.

(SBI-This is why I think we might see a few players like Howard and Bradley, so that it’s not a complete team of unknowns. Not to say Bradley is a star, but he’s a key starter for the USA and did score the equalizer against Slovenia. Perhaps Dempsey could get a call as well. I do think you’ll see more than just Onyewu and Altidore starting who started in World Cup matches.)

54. Erich says:

Convey is still in the MLS playoffs, he won’t be getting called in. If he’s going to be called in it will be in January.

And I agree… he SHOULD be called in to the NT again.

55. Erich says:

Whoops… I guess I’m slow reading the comments.

56. DC Josh says:

I forgot about Adu. He has been lighting it up in the land of Sztatziki and Souvlaki. He certainly deserves a call up to the national team.

57. einar says:

i put in Adu cuz he is not doing much. so y not call him for a meaningless long travel game. The US is only having this game for political reasons to win a bid.

58. einar says:

leave JOZy alone. he is battling for minutes at villareal. and i forgot about parkhurst. This game is for Mandela anyway so the south africans will go regardless

59. Ben S says:

Bring in zakuani

60. Eurosnob says:

I agree – he should get a shot with the USMNT in this friendly, perhaps come of the bench. He is one of the better young defenders and with our aging back line we should start developing players for 2018.

61. Felix says:

Anyone starting in Europe I would leave with their clubs, outside of some Scandinavian-based players, and guys struggling to see the bench, ie Onyewu. I would also bring MLS and Mexican-based players whose seasons have finished.

62. DEMPSEY = GOD says:

someone mentioned on FB that there might be a friendly against SPAIN on jun4, 2011 in the USA? Please say yes

63. DEAC says:

Just a question: How bad does Robbie Rogers have to be so that his name will never appear on one of these lists again?
    Because I think if you were to set that standard, he’d managed to fall below it.

64. strider says:

When will the team travel? Considering the length of the trip, I would not expect any of the players left in the MLS playoffs to be available in time. I’d love to see Convey get another chance and Wondo a first chance. Haven’t seen enough of Ream, but seems a possibility. How about Jay Demerit? Has he been abducted by aliens?

65. DEMPSEY = GOD says:

And I agree about playing other African teams.

Let’s get a real rivalry going with Ghana. They knocked us out of 2 straight WC’s. Let’s up the ante. Play a match in Accra.

FYI. Ghana is 1 of the most economically/democratically advanced countries in Africa. It has a decent number of US/UK expats there.

There would be great interest in such a rivalry i’m sure.

66. jts says:

Adu time: 52 minutes

67. DEMPSEY = GOD says:

Agreed. Let Dempsey solidify his starting role with Fulham. Same with Bradley. All BMG’s internationals need to rest and relax and train to keep that team going.

68. Johnny Thunder says:

He’s kinda involved in MLS playoffs right now though. Don’t think Yallop would take kindly to Bob calling him up for a friendly in Africa.

69. RLW2020 says:

playoffs dude! more important than friendly vs. RSA!

70. NATO says:

Question.

can a player turn down a call-up? Would that look bad? I mean if it’s a friendly no big deal right. Would they need a good reason? Cause if I were at BMG right now, i’d wanna focus and keep team strong mentally to avoid relegation in 6months.

Cause surely some players would turn down call-ups right if they didn’t mean much of anything? Surely exhaustion is a good reason to turn 1 down.

71. Good idea. They just need to makes Gyan is not playing against us.

72. OmarVizquel says:

You mean “Wonder Boy”?

73. Jose says:

Bad at defending? Are u serious? He’s been one of the top defenders this years why not give him a look a guy who’s smart with he ball and knows where to be to cut passes off and who wins lots of 1v1.

74. Eurosnob says:

Omar, your comment is unfair to Jozy. He has been starting regularly for Villareal in Europa league. The reason he is not starting in La Liga is that Villareal has Rossi and Nilmar, who are number 3 (just behind Messi and Ronaldo) and number 5 in la Liga in scoring. They are playing really well and scored more than Villa, Huguain, Forlan, etc. There’s no shame in being behind these two at the age of 20. Jozy makes game day squad, although not as a starter, i.e., the coaches trust him and count on him to play if necessary.

75. DEMPSEY=GOD says:

Hahaha.

I’m totally serious though.

Mexico are our arch-rivals for sure.

But doesn’t hurt to add some more. I say Ghana and England first of all. Ghana from what I mentioned. It’s feasible. Sure thousands won’t fly to Ghana for whatever reason but surely Ghanaians in the USA and other Africans will watch this match.

And with England. The “special relationship”. So many of our players reside there. We’re growing as a rival to them. It makes sense. Play a friendly every 4th of July or around it. It would be a killing. Trust me.

76. RLW2020 says:

beasley, diskrud, torres (if available), rico clark or kljestian over rogers!

77. yo says:

No more Beasley. Let him focus on his club career and earn lots of cash. We have younger guys like Bedoya and others who want a chance. Beasley should let his time pass.

78. ... says:

Telefutura nicknames are amazing. I think the best one from that game might’ve been Slim Pickens, but Wonder Boy was a close 2nd.

79. Omar's Diving Header on Sunday says:

Bad on the ball? Whuttttttttttttttt?

80. Omar's Diving Header on Sunday says:

Yeah, so silly. I mean, it’s not like MB is a regular starter for a Bundesliga team or anything. We SHOULD be looking at some Championship or League 1-2 guys, right?

81. JCP says:

Although Jefferson Montero and Marco Ruben, their other strikers, seem to be playing more than Jozy in La Liga. Is Jozy really #5 on their depth chart?

82. Colin says:

Good idea, unless South Africa starts a 36 year old retiring midfielder to play LB.

83. Andy says:

————Johnson———–Altidore—————

Klejsten——–Feilhaber——–Clark———Bedoya

Bornstein——-Onyewu———Goodson———Lichaj

————————Guzan————————

Forwards: EJ is improving, but Hughes won’t mind him getting some PT. As long s Jozy doesn’t go 90, VRL won’t mind him getting some time as well.

Midfield: Jones, Bradely, and Edu are all starters and for a midweek game in SA, fatigue is a consideration. Sacha has done well recently for Anderlecht, but hasn’t been overused. Benny is with a Div2 side that could rest him whenever they need to. Clark is making the bench at least and his manager won’t mind the PT. Bedoya should be a shoe-in.

Defenders: Agree with SBI on the picks here.

Goalie: Everton won’t want Howard flying that far for a friendly and Guzan needs the PT.

This still includes 3 “starters” from the WC, as well as 3 others who got PT.

84. gas huffer says:

+2, to negate the hate.

85. wally says:

When’s the game exactly? I know I could find out elswhere, but, Ives, going forward it would be nice if you just listed the time/date of a big game when you write hype pieces about them.

86. Slobo Ilijevski says:

Sounds like punishment for Mrs. Wynalda

87. Tim M. says:

he’s just a californian rastafarian, chill. He’s a good defensive mid, whose tidy on the ball and can send in a decent through ball. He’s like the white not as good Sharlie Joseph

88. BSU SC says:

It’s November 17th at 2:00 EST. A simple google search and it comes right up. Or, US Soccer actually does have it’s own website just in case you didn’t know. In the time it took you to type your message, you could have found it.

89. Tim M. says:

vidal is a good center mid with a defensive mentality. he’s kind of like paco with more bite. i would like to see him in camp

90. Tim M. says:

geoff cameron has had an injury plagued year. but came on late strong. i wouldn’t mind a call up.

91. Tim M. says:

Convey should definitely be called in and rogers definitely shouldn’t! Rogers has had a horrible year.

92. Tim M. says:

he can’t play rb on the international level. he’s very athletic, but isn’t the brightest player either.

93. RLW2020 says:

is Le Toux able to play for the US.. i bet he would play well with a “B” team..

94. Idaho Brian says:

Call me crazy, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Robbie Findley gets called in for at least a bench role in the game.

I never thought I would say this, but I would really like to see Klejsten get back in with the team.

95. Paul C says:

I love that everyone is so quick to throw around minutes, but we’re talking about starting Gooch, Johnson, Jozy, and Lichaj. You really want to talk about first time minutes???

I’m sorry but I don’t completely disagree with this. Lift the kids spirits and see where he’s at.

96. Thor says:

I don’t think it’s a good idea per se..I just have no interest in seeing Ives projected line-up outside of Jozy and Lichaj.

97. SchmidtXC says:

Juan Agudelo

Our striker pool is pretty shallow and I don’t think most would doubt he’ll be in contention for the 2014 world cup squad. Why not start getting him some runs in friendlies?

98. bla bla says:

why don`t USA play the real top african teams like Ehypt, Cameroun,Ghana, Nigeria.

common south africa..they could not even qualify for the african cup this year
    don`t be fooled by the world cup they are quite crap in africa

99. LNG says:

a friend of mine made an elaborate Beckerman-Kenny G comparison

since then I can’t look at him without thinking of terrible smooth jazz

100. baquito alyeska says:

With Stu’s form taking off in the Prem, further crowding BB’s midfield options, I’d think BB would want to see Stu in this scenario. Not sure if something precludes him from joining, but if Timmy and Jr are possibilities, I’d hope to see Stu make the trip.

101. Edwin in LA says:

Ummm I recall him coming into the game vs Honduras last January and playing pretty well!

He didn’t have a good game vs Brazil, but come on, not exactly the best scenario. Bedoya is a MUCH better option than some of the other 2nd choice wingers in our depth chart, and playing at a Danish club fighting for a UCL or Europa spot is pretty good!

What I want to know is why in the hell is Robbie Rogers in this discussion? Can’t we try Geoff Cameron? He can play right mid and Bedoya can play left mid.

102. LNG says:

^ agree with both of your posts here

I also think we should look into playing some of the Francophone African teams in France…both teams could bring all their top Europe-based players and the minimal travel should make for a better game

103. Josh D says:

He gets the nod for me over the likes of Beckerman who has been around the system long enough to know there’s no point in bringing him. Why must we constantly field “B” teams full of players who’ll never benefit us? Why not introduce youth or at the very least, new players who have had a solid season in MLS.

And bringing Baby Bradley over the likes of Edu is showing favoritism beyond imagine. Baby Bradley has played every game for the past year both for club and country (give or take enough to count on your hand). He needs a rest and there are plenty of other players who deserve a look-in.

And don’t see the benefit of Howard over Guzan. Guzan needs minutes and in a situation where we aren’t playing for the absolute win, both are good enough that it won’t matter if Howard doesn’t play.

Diskerud is a player with a lot of potential, starting in a competitive league a step up from MLS and begging to be played. Playing the likes of Beckerman over him is a travesty.

104. Dustyn says:

Michael Harrington

105. Josh D says:

Quite frankly, in a situation like this where it doesn’t matter the result, this is a perfect time to give him a couple minutes so he can find a club in the winter.

What do we have to lose? A spot that would otherwise go to an MLS player who we know doesn’t have an actual chance of being on the B team under proper circumstances? The likes of Rogers or Beckerman who have done very little on the international stage?

106. Erik says:

Nobody… they should never step foot in SA again.

107. Brian says:

NO! He only has a green card. Maybe in 5 years he’ll be eligible. But it will be too late then

108. John says:

Ream and B. Convey

109. Swift says:

This might be a stretch but what about Wondo? The kid has a nose for the net and he doesn’t panic when the time comes. He’s not the fastest but he finds a way to score and has an amazing first touch. Watch his goals from the season. with the same chances Johnson & Altidore would have scored on maybe half the opportunities, plus hes still young and a leader!

(SBI-People really aren’t grasping the whole “TEAMS WHO ARE STILL IN THE MLS PLAYOFFS WON’T HAVE PLAYERS CALLED UP” thing.)

110. Josh D says:

Every report out of France for those games he has played in have said he’s looked terrible. The national team isn’t a charity for folks who are injured, not getting time, or rewards for being in MLS for 10+ years.

This is why we ran into trouble during the WC when a nice handful of our A team were injured/just coming back. Because Bob thinks he can switch the B team around every chance he gets, we never developed a proper reserve national team.

B team for me = youth, fringe, or breakout performances. Not the sick, needy, or hungry.

111. Tim M. says:

Who needs to be left home that deserves a call up to establish themselves on their teams:
    Sascha Kljestan
    Mike Grella
    DaMarcus Beasley

Who needs to be called up that hasn’t been mentioned really:
    Frank Simek
    Marcus Vidal
    Mikkel Diskerud

Who hasn’t expressed interest who needs to be called on eventually:
    Daniel Williams
    Eugene Starikov
    Rodney Wallace

Who in MLS deserves a call up:
    Chad Marshall
    Tim Ream
    Jonathan Bornstein
    Kevin Alston
    Chris Wingert
    Kyle Beckerman
    Eddie Gaven
    Santino Quaranta
    Brad Davis
    Justin Bruan
    Brian Ching

Who we probably won’t see untill January:
    Sean Johnson
    Sebastian Le Toux
    Ryan Smith
    Chris Pontius
    Geoff Cameron

Who in Europe were probably gonna see:
    Jozy
    MB
    Parkhurst
    Bedoya
    Goodson
    Johnson or Dempsey (although i doubt both)
    Guzan
    Howard
    Gooch

But who we shouldn’t:
    Gooch
    Spector

And Who i wish we had the luxury of leaving out:
    Jozy

Michael Parkhurst

Jeremiah White

Edgar Castillo

DaMarcus Beasley

Jonathan Spector

Ryan Miller

I know that McBride is probably wishful thinking, but it would be a well deserved final game. I’d like to see him get 45 minutes.

113. Illmatic74 says:

I would bring

GK- Brad Guzan, Marcus Hahnerman

DEF- Oguchi Onyewu, Tim Ream, Clarence Goodson, Kevin Alston, Eric Lichaj, Johnathan Bornstein

MID- Benny Fielhaber, Mikkel Diskerud, Ricardo Clark, Alexandro Bedoya, Sacha Kleijstan, Jose Fransico Torres

FWD- Jozy Altidore, Eddie Johnson, Justin Braun, Robbie Findley

114. Brian says:

GK: Guzan and maybe Howard, if not Howard then either Rimando, Sean Johnson, David Yelldell or Luis Robles

DF: Onyewu, Lichaj, Bornstein, Ream, Parkhurst, Goodson, Spector

MF: Feilhaber, Bedoya, Cameron, Kljestan, Bradley, Clark (sigh…)

FW: Altidore, EJ, Findley (sigh again…)

And Gomez, Torres, and Vidal if they’re available. I have a feeling Bradley will be there, but Jones, Edu, and Holden won’t.

115. Brian says:

Probably add Rogers too. Need another winger.

116. Zach S. says:

Consensus online seems to be Ream will be called in this January.

I don’t see a reason not to call him in now and maybe just leave him on the bench when the kid had such a fabulous rookie season.

It would be VERY interested at least…

117. Andy in Chicago says:

My boy Torres should play if he’s free.

But even if he is, he won’t. A shame, really.

118. BSU SC says:

Sean Johnson, David Yelldell or Luis Robles?!?!?

No.Way. None of those guys are ready for the international stage. I do like the rest of your picks for the most part.

119. brian says:

call up diskerud, I haven’t seen him play yet. also forget about Rogers he’s overrated.

oh and Ives, Buddle is hands down the best striker we have RIGHT now. then it’s jozy. Buddle has been on a freaking tear all season and it sickens me to think Bob didn’t start him at the World Cup instead of god-awful Findley

120. ahm says:

my vote is for abby wombach to get the start ahead of jozy. he woulda skied her left-footed finish and would’ve tripped before finishing the one she tucked into the corner. the best striker in the US pool is on the WNT, god i love this country

121. Benjamin says:

I will make the prediction that Diskerud will trump Bedoya at some point during this cycle. Just a gut feeling.

122. AdamFromMich says:

Is Zakuani a US citizen?

I would have been excited by this idea before the playoffs, but after seeing his performance against LA, I’m not so sure. He was ineffective, even tentative. He didn’t even look fast.

123. Alex says:

sounds cool, but you don’t just have a press conference and say surprise, a new rivalry has been created!

124. Villain-from-Texas says:

I’m sure that England would be more than happy to play us on the day we celebrate our independence from them.

Also, I doubt that Enland reciprocates the “growing as a rival” feeling. We’re just another pissant soccer team to England, whether we should be or not.

125. OmarVizquel says:

HA! Who was “Slim”?

126. Alex says:

You’re kidding, right? Wow. You have some good picks but some pretty off base ones too.

127. jig says:

hmmm. Jeremiah White? How come?

128. Ronnie says:

Just throwing this out there….but on Juan Agudelo’s facebook, he said in a status within the hour:

“Just got the best phone call of my life. Goes down for one of best days of my life.”

Someone underneath mentions a USMNT call up too.

Like I said, just throwing this out there. Could mean absolutely nothing, but definitely interesting if Agudelo gets a surprise call up.

129. Paul C says:

Perhaps the last sentence of my statement through it off, but I agree with you completely. I’m just over the whole “he’s not getting regular minutes” campaign, when it could be applied to any number of our A team.

130. Paul C says:

Didn’t he just receive the U-20 call up?

I would put my first born on Robo Bob not having the balls to call him up.

131. Ronnie says:

Personally, I would think that he expected a call up to u20s for sure.

But for a phone call to determine the best day of his life so far? Has to be something bigger than what he expected.

132. BSU SC says:

I just wanted to throw a wild card out there? My question to Bob Bradley is why not?

133. Tragic line-up. Rogers? Please no more. Beckerman? Really. Does no one remember the 5-0 drubbing last summer with these fringe players? Johnson? Sad. America’s ‘best’ striker is warming the bench on a mid-table team in the EPL. I say out with the old, in with the new. Let’s start from scratch. These guys had their chances; give other players a shot.

134. +1. I’m not even going to watch the game if his name appears on the starting line-up. Nor will I watch the game if Beckerman’s name appears. It’s pathetic (in my opinion).

135. wjmooner says:

If, as everyone claims, the reasons for the game are purely political, I think we actually should call in Freddy Adu. He’s certainly the most famous USA player behind those who shouldn’t make the trip due to club schedules (and arguably more famous than all of them).

136. Glad to hear someone speak truth on this website.

137. Brian says:

Ah I forgot Mix too

138. Brian says:

Who else you got man? Cervi? I doubt Hahnemann will be too interested in this call up. And Kevin Hartman is still in the playoffs.

139. ... says:

Slim Pickens was Colorado’s keeper, Matt Pickens. The Telefutura announcers like their puns, that’s for sure.

140. wally says:

Wow, really? us soccer has its own website? and this google thing, holy crap. awe-some. thanks for sharing. Point was that Ives should include the date/time in his posts about future games.

141. Nick says:

He’s been a regular with the u-20′s so I doubt thats the call he was so excited about

142. ... says:

My understanding (which may or may not be accurate) is that the players can turn down call-ups, but clubs can’t refuse to release the players. So Moenchengladbach couldn’t say Bradley couldn’t go, but Bradley could say he didn’t want to… I think. Joel Lindpere for example said no to Estonia a couple times this season without repercussions.

143. Robert Convey says:

Couldnt handle me when it counted.

144. SdbransonUSA says:

Where do people come up with this stuff? I’m hoping you were joking.

145. Pat says:

if you watched the qualifier against costa rica in dc or the friendly against czech republic then you know that rogers has the potential to perform at international level. He just lacks consistency and did not hit form after coming back from injury this season.

146. Tim M. says:

about what exactly those aren’t those most specific critiques

147. Judging Amy says:

How long has he had his GC?

Also, if he marries a USC its only 3 years.

And…in 8 years he’s only 32 right? Old, but still feasible that he could contribute.

148. N-Whit says:

Mix and Torres in the midfield.

149. Judging Amy says:

“with the same chances Johnson & Altidore would have scored on maybe half the opportunities”

This is a self-evidently foolish statement. 27 is by no means young in pro soccer terms.

Wondo def deserves a call-up, but all these people who are so sure he’s a better option than our current strikers might want to wait until we see him play against better international comp before they anoint Wondo the next McBride.

150. BSU SC says:

We should only need 2 goalies for a friendly match. Guzan and Rimando should do fine. Sean Johnson has potential but needs some more professional experience. Dominic Cervi needs to get on the field before being considered for such a role. Yelldell has a lot to prove before getting a national team look. Luis Robles…forget about it. In his one Gold Cup appearance last year he looked like a dear caught in the headlights.

151. Mike F. says:

Are you serious?

152. Judging Amy says:

That’s a pretty good list. Its obviously meant to be comprehensive, hence the more obscure picks.

Isn’t Rodney Wallace Costa Rican? Or is he undecided?

I assume you left Wondo off b/c of playoffs. He should def be in the January camp.

153. Futbol King says:

say NO to Eddie Johnson!!

154. jb says:

big +1 regarding Buddle and the WC.

why on earth are people saying Findley should get called up again? and if i hear the “his speed opens up space” line again i’ll puke.

155. Isaac says:

I’m really interested to see what Mikkel Diskerud can do on the international stage. Skilled, creative, quick, composed, mature, dynamic, and versatile to boot. A candidate for the kind of player that could run the attack in the future if you ask me.

156. Isaac says:

If Edson Buddle can start to impress and score goals consistently at the age of 29, then another player also playing out of his mind should get a chance, regardless of the amount of chances he’s gotten.

157. Isaac says:

He had chances in starts and simply didn’t take them.

158. MadridFan says:

theres a guy playing first division football in Chile, goes by Carlos Monterossa. talented attacking midfielder, but will probably never see the light of day on the USMNT because paco isnt even called…

socal kid as well so he can ball.

159. scott simon says:

This is the best suggestion I have heard regarding Jozy! nice

Abby Wombach has much more skill than Jozy and actually plays harder!

160. BSU SC says:

…and my point is you should be able to take 10 seconds to find it on your own instead of trying to nitpicking with Ives. Give that google thing a try sometime.

161. scott simon says:

I know he can’t go b/c of the MLS playoffs, but Edson Buddle deserves to be called up.

Eddie Johnson and Jozy Altidore have done nothing to deserve it.

I think if both Johnson and Altidore played in the MLS, Buddle would still lead them in goals scored.

162. scott simon says:

Do you want to see them most INeffective duo of strikers on the planet? Ok, then start Eddie Johnson and Jozy Altidore.

It’s weird, because to Nike, Bob Bradley and Sunil Gulati they both look athletic, but they actually have not soccer talent.

163. Joamiq says:

Yeah, he did poorly on a couple of plays in one game, that OBVIOUSLY outweighs the rest of the season and means he shouldn’t play for the national team.

::facepalm::

164. Sean says:

More than he’s gotten in a match this year. Hey-o!

165. 20 says:

EJ doesn’t deserve a call-up, ask any Fulham fan. But it looks like he’ll get one, I guess the playing time will be good

Why isn’t Dempsey going?? He just can’t be bothered?

166. 20 says:

“but they actually have not soccer talent.”

You’re an idiot.

167. Don Pelayo says:

The difference between Charlie and those other players is that Charlie is recovering from a career threatening car accident. If he were ready for playing football at a high level, he would be a part of the Sochaux first team.

Gooch’s situation is similar to Charlie’s, but his injury was much more straight-forward. Although he isn’t getting time for Milan (who knows what’s going on there!), he looked fit and played fairly well in the last two friendlies.

168. Tom in KY says:

JFT (the new Adu) Time: 15 minutes

169. 20 says:

Why no to Bradley? Just wondering because it seems to me that he’s one of our best midfielders.

People don’t appreciate the little things MB does

170. 20 says:

I laughed so hard at Wonder Boy

171. Ben says:

No, no more Sacha. Ever.

172. True. But who of the players I mentioned is playing out of his mind? Johnson? Not even close. Rogers? He was better last year. Beckerman? Same. So how does your argument relate to my statement? It doesn’t.

173. Ben says:

I can’t believe that Ives doesn’t have Stuart Holden in his starting lineup. What other American midfielder is playing so well in the most popular league in England?

Also, I think that Edu and Jones should be given a try together, and let the younger Bradley rest up and miss the long airplane travel.

I would love to see this midfield get significant minutes together.

Holden – Jones – Edu – Bedoya

(SBI-Ben, how many times has it been stated that Bradley would not bring in the full squad? Holden would be in my lineup if we were talking the full A team, but we’re not. I included Howard and Bradley as two players who could handle the extra wear if a long trip and extra game. Maybe neither gets called (but Howard did play in the 07 game in South Africa and was just as busy then, which is why I included him.)

174. Isaac says:

I second that.

If Jozy has no soccer talent, you’re making a direct insult on the Villareal manager(Pelligrini isn’t it?) and the players Jozy has beaten.

175. Isaac says:

What the FREAK does Torres have to do with this kid?

Torres is playing a COMPLETELY different positiong for the USA than this Monterossa boy is. Torres is a distributive, linking central midfield sometimes played in a deep-lying role. Monterossa is, by your description, an attacking midfielder. Torres doesn’t start because he didn’t take his chances in the central midfield when he did start. If Monterossa makes some noise, then he’ll get a call up – simple as that. No relation to Torres, no Latin American bias( not saying that’s what you’re saying), just that simple.

176. Isaac says:

The problem with your statement is that it seems to assume there are better options we haven’t given chances to. You’re not naming ANYBODY better. Name players that should be given chances that will take away roster spots. I’m not trying to be a jerk and I know it sounds like it, but what I’m saying is that I constantly hear,”give somebody else some chances to impress”, but the usual case is that nobody names anybody – they’re just sick of the players that they have and want something new, as if throwing some random new guy in there is going to fix things.

177. Isaac says:

Moreover, who the HELL called Eddie Johnson the best American striker we have? Point to them so I can put the idiot stamp on them.

178. ZacIndy says:

bedoya plays for a sweedish league team, which by the by, happens to have to lowest UEFA coefficient than any other league an American player plays in. if you buy in to those sorts of things.

179. Neruda says:

No more Robbie Rogers double takes. There has to be better options from MLS or Mexico on the flanks. Why not get Tim Ream in there too. Put him on the bench and then he’s an option for the second half.

180. I see what you mean, and that’s a fair question. I suppose that brings up the greater frustration to me and that is that we can’t come up with anything better than a Beckerman or Rogers or Johnson for a B team. I don’t know of anyone who would ‘merit’ a shot more than those guys, and that’s what is so frustrating. I lived in the UK for a while and played soccer there. It’s not what many people think. Some of those players are garbage. All that to say, they’re not exactly playing soccer in the streets and every second of the day in England, yet they can still create world class players on occasion. I’m not expecting the US to pump out the next Cristiano Ronaldo or Eric Cantona, but can’t we at least get an Aaron Lennon (he’s on the B team), or a Jermaine Defoe (he’s on the B team) or a Scott Parker or a Kevin Davies or an Andy Carroll (who rarely even earn spots on the roster)? the list goes on. I’m talking about a country the size of one of our States: a country of 50,000 people. It just baffles me. And yes… I’m one of those “bitter” people.

p.s. The comment about Eddie Johnson was in relation to him being the best we have for this particular game. Because I assume that in order to wear a USMNT shirt, you have to be one of the best in America.

181. Sorry for the Novella. Correction: 50,000,000 people.

182. sean says:

Anybody but Rogers. In fact they might as well call me up to play instead of Rogers: They don’t have any conclusive proof that I suck yet.

183. Isaac says:

“There has to be someone better” is getting old VERY quickly. Why don’t you NAME someone better in that position?

184. herb says:

Rossi.LOL:)

185. Isaac says:

Aaaaahhhh. NOW, my friend, we’ve hit common ground. I completely understand what you’re saying about the players we produce and over time, that will get better.

Still, I think it’s a bit harsh on Johnson, Beckerman and Rogers. They’re not players that should really be anywhere near starting for the full team right now – you and I both know that. However, they, along with other players, are players who were at one point incredibly impressive( some would argue Beckerman is quite impressive right now).

That’s where Bradley gets caught – to me, Bradley is actually a very tactically astute coach, despite what people say. The issue is that he’s very tactically inflexible, and continues to use the same tactics and therefore the same types of players and, sometimes, the same players. I like Bradley and the decision to re-sign him, but he has to be given some kind of animadversion for using Findley and Clark so much and the same tactics as well.

That being said, he has gotten the team to play well enough to fulfill most expectations and that’s really all you can ask from a coach. Not to mention he really raised the bar with his work in the Confederations Cup.

Anyways, I see what you’re saying.

186. Jason says:

No way do Bradley or Howard make this trip.

Clark and Guzan, respectively. Spector could start for Lichaj, but both should be there.

I’d expect Beasley over Rogers (this from a Crew fan).

And the Danish league is in full swing, and Aarhus are tyring to win promotion, so Feilhaber might be absent. Kljestan has been starting for Anderlecht latley, so he might be unavailable as well.

My XI:
    GK: Guzan
    D: Lichaj, Onyewu, Goodson, Bornstein
    M: Bedoya, Clark, Diskerud, Beasley
    F: Altidore, Findley

The rest of the 18-20 man squad:
    GK: Yelldell
    D: Spector, Cameron
    M: Beckerman, Rogers, Gaven
    F: Eddie Johnson, Ching

187. John says:

lookin forward to seeing Lichaj again, i like this kid

188. Rich from NY says:

Sure it would hurt. It would hurt bringing in a player who actually has a chance to be apart of this team in future, as in team for the gold cup and eventually the world cup. And people, just because a player is getting time, doesnt necessarily mean he is playing well. This is a perfect opportunity to bring in young players who have a legit shot of being apart of the national scene for the big tournaments coming up.

189. Rich from NY says:

Wow that is a brutal team, for the most part. I agree with Lichaj, Onyewu, Diskerud, and Jozy. Maybe Bedoya. Your bench is garbage. Makes no sense. You have to look at these games with your intentions towards the future. If you honestly think that the rest of these guys have a chance to be apart of the team in the next couple years, you have no hope for them making the world cup. If we arent bringing in our A team, bring in the younger guys who actually have potential and TALENT compared to the scrubs you selected.

190. thisisphil says:

Call me crazry, but why not?

GOALKEEPERS: Guzan, Rimando

subs: Findley for Altidore, Gonzalez for Goodson,

191. Chad says:

Ryan Smith>Robbie Rogers

192. herb says:

Rossi.LOL:)

193. Orlando city says:

I get your joke because Rossi is a joke

194. Tim M. says:

Thank You. It was meant to be a comprehensive list that was also prospective based on previous call ups and the likely hood of new players being introduced into the system and which players wouldn’t be available.

Rodney Wallace hasn’t been capped, and i don’t know if costa rica has shown interest, but like other players he’s yet to make a definite statement about it his future. He’s definitely a long term prospect for LB.

195. Tim M. says:

and based on Bradley’s trend of rewarding players who have done well in MLS, yea i’d expect to see Wondo called into camp, whether he’s play has been just a good spell in a players career or the growth and maturation of a player.

If Ives is spot on about this friendly being more about our bid for a world cup then it being more so an actual friendly to access players, then i think we have a whole batch of players to a really think about this January camp (i.e. Lee Nguyen, Jeremiah White, Luis Robles)

196. TimeForChange says:

As funny as it sounds we should consider other players, rather than the usual suspects. I mean…isn’t that the point of having friendlies? For instance, not sure why Jones wouldn’t be considered if MB is. Bornstein!!!????…are you kidding me!? Does Bradley owe this man something???? I am not sure why more MLS players, who are no longer in the playoffs, wouldn’t be considered. For instance: Ryan Smith(good speed and most important great first touch & skill on the ball, something that alot of US players don’t posses), Braun (not a world beater, but has a nose for the goal), tim ream, jeff cameron (as a center back or a utility player), gaven, etc…I keep insisting that Altidore is not the answer, I am tired of the “he is only 21″ excuse, why not try Agudelo. This kid for being only 17, has good hustle and great first touch, his positioning awareness is pretty high. Altidore needs competition, he has been fed the hype syrup for such a long time, that he does not feel threaten for his spot on the USMNT roster.

197. tcp says:

@#*&$ BORNSTEIN!!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

198. TimeForChange says:

199. tcp says:

I’m soooo happy Le Toux is an american citizen now. When did this happen?

200. Brian says:

It didn’t

201. freddo says:

Braun, Wondo, and Convey should get call ups!

202. The Dude says:

I cannot believe Bornstein is even being mentioned. He’s bad to begin with, plus had a crappy season, plus has battled injury. Adios, JB!
    This lineup totally bores me. This game will be a snooze-fest.
    The only thing that would excite me is some youth: Agudelo, Ream, Mix, etc.

203. Tony says:

this is who i think they should call in

GKs- Guzan, Cervi

RB – Lichaj, Spector

CB – Onyewu, Goodson, Ream, Parkhurst

LB – Bornstein, Castillo

RM – Feilhaber, Gaven

CM – Kljestan, Holden, Bedoya , Torres

LM – Rogers, Convey (if SJ is out)

F – Altidore, Gomez, Conor Doyle, Wondo (if SJ is out)

204. Benjamin says:

I want to see Omar Gonzalas and Kevin Alston in the back. These two are young and have a future with the US. I would also like to see Danny Cruz… I know my picks are young guys but, this would be a perfect opportunity to see what they got at the next level outside of the states.

Danny Cruz is exciting to watch, he takes on defenders relentlessly all match long and has got the pace to drive them crazy. He played well for Houston this year and I think he will be a good option for the US in the future.

205. Benjamin says:

who is JFT

206. DC Josh says:

Excluding him from the squad is not a slight to him because of his form, but a benefit to his health. I know he is young, fit, etc., but he has played 90 minutes in pretty much every game since the Roman Empire collapsed. Not flying halfway around the world would benefit him in the long run. Personally, I think he is the future of our team and we should build around him. But maybe he should sit this one out and chill at home with some wietbier.

207. Lost in Space says:

I’m all for trying new and young players in this match. But what many of you are forgetting is you DON’T throw young, inexperienced players into the international arena all alone. You need to include some stable veteran influences into the mix.

For this reason I’d bring:

GK: Guzan, Ramondo (leave Hoaward home)

RB: Lichaj, Spector

CB: Gooch, Goodson, Cameron, Ream

LB: Bornstine, Castillo

RWM: Bedoya, Kljestan (can’t believe I said that)

CM: Holden, Torres, Edu, Vidal

LWM: Mix, Beasley

Striker: Jozy, Braun, Gomez,

Not the best team we could put out there but one that should be equel to the compitition while also giving some young players experience and without exposing them to a slaughter.

208. Dakota says: