Who is your MLS Most Valuable Player?

MLSMJ091110139

Photo by Michael Janosz/ISIphotos.com

With the season winding down and the playoff picture almost completely sorted out, it's becoming more clear as to who is deserving of the Major League Soccer Most Valuable Player award.

Landon Donovan has put together another strong season, leading the league in assists to this point (14) as he guns for his second consecutive award. Edson Buddle is the league's leading goal scorer (15) and was the catalyst for the Los Angeles Galaxy's unparalleled start to the season.

Real Salt Lake is in the mix for the Supporters' Shield in large part to the play of Javier Morales in the midfield. Right on RSL's tail is the New York Red Bulls, whose epic turnaround has been boosted by Juan Pablo Angel's 13-goal campaign, and the Columbus Crew, who run everything through 2008 MVP Guillermo Barros Schelotto.

FC Dallas' lengthy unbeaten streak has happened in large part to David Ferreira's playmaking abilities. The Seattle Sounders' fortunes turned when Fredy Montero took his play to the next level. The San Jose Earthquakes are on the cusp of the postseason largely due to Chris Wondolowski's 12 goals, seven of which are game-winners. Omar Cummings' play has the Colorado Rapids on the verge of the playoffs for the first time since 2006.

As for players on the outside of the playoff picture, Sebastien Le Toux and Dwayne De Rosario have each netted 13 goals and created most of the other scoring opportunities while carrying their respective clubs.

Who do you think should win the MLS MVP award? Cast your vote after the jump:

How did you vote? Is there anybody not on the ballot who you think is deserving?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Who is your MLS Most Valuable Player?

1. hendricks says:

De Ro should be removed from the list. Despite having 13 goals he hasn’t really done anything that makes him the most valuable in the league. His team is still near the bottom, out of the playoffs. He’s boosted his personal stats and is trying to play that into a bigger contract, but where would TFC be without him? Still bad.

2. Mattmatumbo says:

I thought Beckham was, or was that most expensive…

3. Kaiser says:

When it comes to value to a team, it’s Le Toux, and everyone else is a distant second.

4. Scott A says:

Not a lot of creative midfielders thriving in MLS recently eh. Not meant as a sight really; I think the play has gotten better. Still would like to see more quality creative midfielders in the league though.

5. BetaMale says:

LeToux, as I predicted, has been sensational.

I wanted to vote for Alan Gordon, but since he’s not on the list, LeToux will hav to get it.

6. k says:

Anyone on that list other than ladycakes.

7. Haraby LLG says:

Angel is playing for a joke of a franchise. He needs to join up with Philly.

8. Scott A says:

Boo. He’s banished that nickname with his broadsword.

9. maka says:

Gotta love what LeToux is doing for Philly. Morales is up there because his team is doing well.

10. Chris says:

Seriously, I don’t know why anyone still calls him that.

11. Chris says:

Wait… the Red Bulls, first in the Eastern Conference, are a joke of a franchise? I hope that was sarcasm and I just missed it.

12. Scott A says:

slight not sight

13. Blake says:

If Le Toux doesn’t win, they should change the name of the award to “best player on a good team”. MVP is supposed to be player most valuable to his team, which Le Toux has been hands down.

14. Scott A says:

A non-playoff team in a charming city. Can this guy seriously get banned? It’s getting really old and every post just trying to stir s… up

15. Jordan says:

I’m a Seattle homer, but I’m still going with Montero. Since the mid season break, he’s been playing like a man-possessed. Granted, much of his increased space is thanks to Nkufo, but I’ll be damned if he hasn’t made use of it.

Here’s the best argument I can make for Montero: without him, there is absolutely no way the Sounders would have gone from a 5% chance of making the playoffs at the break to being currently 1 point away from clinching. I can’t think of any other player on any other team who you can make that argument about.

That said, I can respect how well a lot of the other people on this last have played – Le Toux in particular.

16. soccerroo says:

I like that there is a lot of the forwards and everything but i would almost say that these are not the most valuable to a lot of the teams. A lot of people leave Le Toux out because he is on a losing team. If he had a better defense then he would be one of the top two or three. Team like FCD and NYRB are better this year mostly because there defenses have not been giving up the games at crucial time. Ferraria in Dallas and Angel in New yourk are the scoring and motors of their teams but if it were not for Ream and Counduol in new York or hernandez and hartman in Dallas do either of these teams have winning seasons? I would love to see a keeper or DM win the award.

17. Idaho Brian says:

RSL is in strong contention for the Supporters Shield in large part due to the dynamic midfield play led by Javier Morales. In my eyes, Landon is probably the front runner for his 2nd MVP award, but I think Javi deserves some strong consideration.

18. south says:

David Ferreira.

He has taken a team that hasn’t been to the playoffs in years, to finalizing a spot with games to go in the regular season. He hasn’t missed games all season. Despite playing numerous games missing 3-4 starters, he’s continued to dominate every game. He’s the most fouled player in the league this season, he scores goals and sets them up.

I’m confident that if any team in this league could employ Ferreira as their attacking engine, they would be seeing the same success that FC Dallas has.

We’ve had so many close games that came down to him being the difference, he IS the difference between post season and not for FC Dallas. This has been very much HIS team, and he has done a great job, one of the best players I’ve ever seen play in this league.

Le Toux has been phenomenal too :)
    Easy next choice from me.

19. Rex says:

Sebastien Le Toux

20. Lorenzo says:

second, philly not my team but it’s obvious and if someone else gets it I’d be more disgusted than some of the other crap this league has pulled to put their favorites on a pedestal.

I love my teams, i love my favorite players but I want all of them to win fairly, I want fairness in this league and you can’t take it away from Le Toux, it would be a shame for him to have the best thing he’s ever done in his playing career life be taken away from him.

21. Lorenzo says:

Ferreira is a good competitor for this award, it’s really hard to say if you switched these players if they would do as well in the different teams/situations.

I just look at FC Dallas, and see Shea, Pearce, Hartman’s form, Cunningham, I see Dallas has the 2nd lowest goals allowed total, and I just feel like Ferreira has an easier time with his supporting cast.

Then again Le Toux had a better team last year with Seattle probably, but nowhere near success this year.

22. Oog says:

No, Morales is a huge part of why his team is doing well, not the other way around.

23. A.S. says:

Apparently only attacking players are to be considered for MVP.

24. Jones Junior says:

Le Toux or Fredy Montero hands down.

25. JoeW says:

Le Toux has had an incredible season. But he’s actually had very little “value” to his team.
    –De Ro (who I don’t think should be MVP) has scored a higher percentage of his team’s offensive output
    –Philly without Le Toux wouldn’t be that much worse. It’s not as if Le Toux is the reason they’re in the playoffs (and without him they’d be sitting outside).

26. people are crazy says:

Wow this is def b.s. Donovan?!?! seriously people? David Ferriera hands downn and this is coming from a rbny supporter

27. JoeW says:

Let me state upfront that I don’t have a horse in this race–my team doesn’t have a player on this list. So agree or disagree with my position and logic but I’m not being a homer.

1. Le Toux has had a GREAT season. It’s not clear to me that if you take Le Toux away, Philly will be significantly worse than they are now. To put it another way, is Le Toux the difference between winning 7 games versus going winless all year or only winning 2-3 games? I doubt it. If you eliminate Seattle (which was an aberration), Philly (in terms of overall play, quality of defense, performance on the road) has been far better than TFC, RSL and Chivas were as expansion teams–those clubs were just woeful. I may be wrong here, but knowing what I know about Nowak and watching that club (the Union) play, they don’t look like a historically bad team that is carried by one individual. Le Toux has had a great season and statistically it’s impressive–as is DeRo’s (in fact, I believe DeRosario has an even higher percentage of his team’s scorers).

2. Use the logic of “how would this team do if that player was missing?” I think Philly might have lost 3 additional games–maybe. I don’t see them as a winless or 2-3 win team–they’re too good for that. And yeah, FCD has a bunch of talent as does LAG. But take away Ferreira and FCD is just a totally different team. They don’t have that historic streak and given the quality of the West, I’m not even sure they’re a playoff team. Take away Donovan and even though his stats aren’t as good as Le Toux’, he’s had some big goals that decided games.

Again, I hate to make the case by denigrating Le Toux b/c he deserves accolades for his season (as do all the players on the list). But if you put Ferreira instead of Le Toux, I think they’d have scored more goals. Put Le Toux on FCD and they’d have done worse. That may be an unfair test b/c some players fit a particular scheme better (Le Toux is tailor made for Piotr Nowak).

As for the argument about “best player on a good team” well, if it’s hard to argue that Le Toux is the reason Philly isn’t winless or only won 2 games this year, isn’t that the same as saying “best player on a bad team”?

MVP is such a nebulous award–it means so many things to so many people. To me, it’s about a player who has a huge impact on his team and makes his teammates better. It’s more than an incredible individual season. Maybe he’s the guy who makes the offense work–without him other guys who flourish and score goals wouldn’t. Maybe he plays a key role (like Shalrie Joseph does for NE–asked to do so much). And it’s about boosting the team. I can see an MVP candidate on a losing or nonplayoff team. But you’d have to make the argument that without that player, that team would be truly dreadful. And I can’t make that argument about PHilly. They’re a competitive team that is actually one of the better MLS teams on the road, they outwork almost everyone. Barring some early season GK and red card issues, they’ve played most teams competitively and closely.

28. David says:

Shalrie Joseph has been snubbed for years for this reason

29. Adam M. says:

Ferriera is the clear choice this year given Dallas’ unprecedented run and his role on the side, although GBS is probably the single most important player on any side (again). That said, the MVP of the league might be Rafa Marquez if you look at this question again at the end of the postseason. RBNY is in another class when he is on the field (class, as in quality of play; no judgments on the man, Nats friends).

30. Bouts says:

Joel lindpere can’t be overlooked

31. Matt says:

As a Crew fan, I would really like to give my vote to Schelotto. While in my humble opinion he is still a top 5 player in this league on his day, he may not even be the most valuable to his team this year, as Eddie Gaven and Chad Marshall have been more consistent throughout the year than any other Crew player, including Schelotto. GBS’s lack of mobility has really been exposed this season. From there, I really like Seba Le Toux, but I can’t vote for a player not in the playoffs. Ultimately the MVP should go to either Ferreira or Morales, and I lean Morales, because he is the driving force of who, again in my opinion, is the league’s best team. Javier Morales, MLS MVP 2010.

32. Smith says:

I’m an RBNY fan but I’d give it to LeToux. Without him, Philly would have maybe two wins.

Hecis to the Union what Steve Carlton was to the Phillies in 1972.

33. smurf says:

landycakes landycakes landycakes

34. smurf says:

please don’t post theses on SBI, thanks.

35. smurf says:

Philly has allowed a ton of goals scored against them and Le Toux’s poor defense is partly responsible for that.

36. When you look at Wondolowski’s numbers, you have to realize all but one of his goals (I think) was a first touch shot. Wondo doesn’t get all that much service, but when he get it… it’s the one-touch that has won 7 games this season.

He gets my vote

37. Scott A says:

I appreciated the thoughts.

38. Smirking Kitten says:

For me, the MVP award goes to the best player in the league based on this year’s play. Thus, my vote would be for Donovan. I do not buy the idea that it should go to the player most valuable to their team…like a Le Toux.

39. Smirking Kitten says:

Since when is that what the MVP is for? It goes to the most valuable player in the league, i.e. the best player based on this past season. For me, Donovan deserves the award.

40. reply to Smurf . . . Le Toux is not a defender!

41. JohnC says:

what? the guy is an absolute work horse- do you watch Union games? Fred/Torres/the entire backline/Red Cards/Seitz are the reason they have allowed so many goals- in no part does Le Toux fall into that list.

GET A CLUE!

42. Kaiser says:

Gotta disagree. Le Toux’s goals and passing have been key to thier success this year. Like smurf points out below, they allow a lot of goals (though I don’t know why he wants to blame a forward/attacking player for that) through bad defense and goalkeeping. Le Toux’s goals have kept them in a lot of games as they have scratched out wins and ties. Philly would be at a DC United level without thier French marksman…instead they have put together a solid first season.

43. TFCfan says:

Are you retarded? Without him TFC would be worse than DC. And I’m not just saying that as a Toronto fan.

44. ShaggyReAL says:

The easy name is Donovan but Ferriera is having a great season. Javier Morales is the biggest key to RSL. He allows them to play their Diamond formation.

1) Ferriera
    2) Donovan
    3) Morales

45. what? says:

I’m a DC United fan and as such I unfortunately have no horse in the race. That being said this is a great debate. I have to go with Le Toux. He has be involved in 23 goals out of a team total of 32. That is ridiculous.

You can either give it to someone who scores like Buddle or someone who gets others involved like Landon perhaps someone with an insane work rate like Joseph or Just give it to someone with all of those qualities like Le Toux.

46. Missoula says:

You’re right, there’s no way the Union have such a great season without him.

In seriousness, I voted for Cummings, since he has put the Rapids offense on his shoulders and have Colorado actually close to the playoffs.

47. Lil' Zeke says:

Get an attention span smurfycakes

48. reality says:

Lindpere is mvp.

49. brad says:

le toux, if you watch a union game you can see how much that dude busts his butt. if he was on any other team we would be talking about how the union are the worst expansion team ever. he plays forward AND left attacking mid. he’s gettin goals as a wide/attacking mid. dude i think donovan played good but not as valuable during a WC yr as le toux. lastly, i wish i saw ferrira play more

50. C C says:

Le Toux is having a great year, but in a close race between all of them, I’m 100% behind David Ferriera. I don’t see anyone else as instrumental and the heart of the team as David.

51. al says:

I’m really surprised Buddle isn’t getting more love. Granted his touch has slowed a little (very little) over the last few games, but his smoking amount of goals and the creativity used to achieve them for over 3/4 of the season was amazing! He deserves more votes. Maybe not the win here, but if Landon’s getting the love, you better believe Buddle is JUST as deserving.

52. Christopher says:

wait for it…

Freddy Adu.

53. Tetsuo54 says:

Really only Donovan or LeToux deserve this award
    Donovan:7goals 14 assists 1836 mins =21goals made
    Letoux 13 goals 10 assists 2250mins =23 goals made
    Donovan has way less minutes yet has around the same amount of help for his team so I picked him and because LA is number 1.

54. Emerald_City_Jason says:

Much as I like LeToux, in my book you need to drop an absolutely historic, jaw-dropping individual season to seriously be considered for MVP if your team not only misses the playoffs, but is in real danger of ending up with twice as many losses as wins. My vote would go to either one of the LA candidates or Ferreira (as much as Dallas annoys me). Angel is in the discussion, too.

55. Andrew says:

I’m not even a Dallas fan, but I think it’s David Ferreira.

56. Kaiser says:

from a guy named smurf?

57. Kaiser says:

Cummings has done well, but without him Colorado is still a decent team. Without Le Toux Philly is a train wreck (as JohnC pointed out).

If it is an award for the top player on a competitive team, I see your point, but I don’t think that’s what the award is called.

58. Phil says:

you contradicted yourself on so many levels it’s rediculous. you just said if you take any of those players off of their teams how bad would they be without them? you said without le toux they would still be decent..with who? moreno being the only experienced forward?

And then you go on to say MVP to you means “To me, it’s about a player who has a huge impact on his team and makes his teammates better”. if thats how you feel, then how does 13 goals and 10 assists sound? if thats not MVP numbers then i dont know what the hell is, that of course going by what you say joeW. so before you even attempt to sound like you know so much more than you really do, then maybe you should back up everything you say. you’re welcome

59. Phil from SJ says:

wow. thank you. the Union is not bad right now just inexperienced but yet still further along than other expansion teams with exception of the 98′ Fire and last years Sounders. MVP means doing it by yourself meanwhile helping your whole team. 13 goals and 10 assists pretty much mean that and then some. he’s absolutely does NOT get enough credit just becuase he’s on an expansion team that didn’t make it to the playoffs. give credit when credit’s due. be for real people

60. Brennan says:

I hate how the decision is always made based on stats.

61. alex says:

They both don’t make the playoffs. what’s the difference?

62. BrooklynFC says:

Well he COULD be the MVP next year…. he seems to be in line for a DP Spot in DC

63. I fully agree. Le Toux has really stepped up. Hard to think that two years ago he was a bit player in a USL-1 side and last year didn’t have a great season at Seattle. Everyone or at least I, thought Alejandro Moreno would be the Philly goal scorer. But Novak has built a system that gives Le Toux great service and Le Toux put Philly on his back and carried them to a decent first season.

64. chupacabra says:

Yeah, I mean why doesn’t hairstyle and grooming count for anything anymore?

65. McBride Rules says:

There is still a lot to play for so we could see someone seperate themself. For now I think it’ safe to say it is a tight race.

66. Ken Marone says:

Le Toux brings no value to Philadelphia? The team has scored 32 goals this season, and on 23 of them Le Toux was involved (either scoring the goal or assisting). I’d say that’s value.

67. Ken Marone says:

Le Toux’s poor defense? Le Toux is one of the only guys on the team who hustles for 90 minutes. He tracks back and joins the defense on every occasion he can. The reason the Union have given up so many goals is the shotty backline and goalkeeping. C’mon, Le Toux isn’t MVP because his team gives up a lot of goals? Stop.

68. Charles says:

A bit player in the USL ?

The only reason he hung around USL one more season was because he knew the Sounders were moving on to MLS.

very sad to see him go.

69. Charles says:

How about MLS ? 5 guys neck to neck with Landon for the MVP ?

and GBS, DeRosario, and Angel are not any of the 5..

I have been thinking all season long, we are very lucky to have a league like…here…in the US.

70. Chodilicus says:

I know that the MVP award almost always goes to an offensive player, but it would be interesting to see a guy like Olave get consideration. He is clearly the best CB in the league and the RSL defense is on pace to set MLS records for fewest goals allowed.

Maybe he will just get defender of the year but he deserves to me mentioned among the most valuable players to his team in the entire league.

71. VJM says:

Le Toux. Most every goal the Union have scored is directly related to his hussle and smart passing.

Mwanga wouldn’t have many goals without direct service from him.

After that, no one else can really score on that team. Who’s gonna score goals on the Union without Le Toux and his service to Mwanga. Moreno? Fred? Those guys spend half the matches on the ground.

The Union would be utter garbage without Le Toux. All you’d have are some good young players that are still pretty green, some veterans who are merely average, a below average defense that tends to bungle things up for at least a goal nearly every game, 2/3’s of a season with a keeper who didn’t keep one clean sheet.

72. it’s a damn shame that the Union didn’t have a better year, or I’d easily put Le Toux (coming from a Union fan). however, it sucks because the award is for the most valuable player to a team, the player which if the team did not have, the team would be significantly worse. the Union did good, but they couldn’t have done much worse (probably going to finish bottom 3 in the weaker east), so Le Toux didn’t make enough of a difference. for me, he was definitely the best player in the league, but not the most valuable.

73. Mike S says:

I say Montero. He means so much to his team (like LeToux), the difference is Montero is helping his team get to the playoffs.

It’s not Letoux’s fault, Montero just has a better supporting cast. But like many awards, I think the “more visible” guy on a more successful team gets it. Without Montero’s beast of a streak this summer, the Sounders would not have locked in a playoff spot today.